• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Forkball

Your level is fine for Darkroot - the area after the Titanite Demon under the Parish, although I might save the boss Sif for after O&S, but you can certainly do the Moonlight Butterfly boss, it's one of the easiest.

Once you beat O&S you get the ability to warp between bonfires, but before that have you opened the cage lift in Sen's Fortress? It takes you from top to bottom, so it literally takes a minute or two to get from Firelink to Anor Londo.

The key on the roof of Firelink is for a door back at the Asylum for a very useful item - a word of warning about the Asylum
be careful when you walk through the room where you fought the original Asylum demon boss, the floor gives way and you face a stronger version of the same boss - best to avoid the center of the room until you have gone to one of the bonfires at the Asylum to save you going all the way back there in case you die. Well worth killing the boss though as it drops a slab!

Yeah I found the key on my first run through Sen's. I went through Darkroot Garden and killed that butterfly, pretty nifty. It was eerily beautiful, I kind of feel bad for killing it. I'm thinking about going to the asylum, but I also want to get O+S over with now that I have enough humanity to summon someone (and to survive an invader or two).

Also, is it worth killing the undead merchant for his katana? I really want that weapon, and it seems like the only guy who sells it takes a lot of souls to get to.

BadWolf

Sometimes I feel it gets kind of pointless getting items because you find so many weapons, armors etc. but not end up using most of them.

So there I was again, got another stupid looking hat I thought. Threw it in my bottomless item box and didn't think again about it.

Just found out what that stupid hat does and apparently its really rare with people not being able to get it in entire playthroughs and yet I lucked out with it right now during my first.
Symbol of Avarice

This is why I like to reference the wiki for this series, there's so much stuff that you can easily miss out on what's good even if you have it in your possession.

Now if you'll excuse me I have some farming to do.

Please don't tell me Tomb of the Giants and New Anor Londo and that ghost town below Firelink are mandatory.

Hate to break your heart but...

SteeloDMZ

Banned
During my new game +, I found Big Hat Logan for the first time. Hopefully he's useful.

I also killed Lautrec because I remember what he did the last time at the firelink shrine. I also killed (or made a skelleton kill him) the dude who was always sitting near the bonfire at FS.

Ridley327

During my new game +, I found Big Hat Logan for the first time. Hopefully he's useful.

I also killed Lautrec because I remember what he did the last time at the firelink shrine. I also killed (or made a skelleton kill him) the dude who was always sitting near the bonfire at FS.

He winds up selling you some powerful sorceries and he has a rather interesting conclusion to his story that results in you gaining his gear, including the Big Hat.

ElFly

Why would you kill Lautrec early.

Other than the minor inconvenience of not having the bonfire -and at that point you want to keep moving onto sen fortress and anor londo, so it doesn't matter at all-, his subquest is super entertaining, and he helps you with a couple of bosses.

I <3 Lautrec.

Hate to break your heart but...

denzelcant.gif

zkylon

zkylewd
Yeah I found the key on my first run through Sen's. I went through Darkroot Garden and killed that butterfly, pretty nifty. It was eerily beautiful, I kind of feel bad for killing it. I'm thinking about going to the asylum, but I also want to get O+S over with now that I have enough humanity to summon someone (and to survive an invader or two).

Also, is it worth killing the undead merchant for his katana? I really want that weapon, and it seems like the only guy who sells it takes a lot of souls to get to.
If you're thinking about summoning people to help you with S&O, I suggest you get yourself the Item Discovery Ring (http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Covetous+Gold+Serpent+Ring), use at least one humanity to raise your Item Discovery and spend a little more time farming, and get at least 10. From the Bonfire at the depths, it's really a short run to the room with 6 or 7 rats and if you have high Item Discovery you're almost guaranteed to get 1-2 Humanity per run.

Put on some funky music, and farm Humanity for like 20 minutes, then get to S&O. Would be wasteful to go all the way back to Anor Londo, turn human and get invaded and killed, and lose your precious human form, don't you think?

Why would you kill Lautrec early.

Other than the minor inconvenience of not having the bonfire -and at that point you want to keep moving onto sen fortress and anor londo, so it doesn't matter at all-, his subquest is super entertaining, and he helps you with a couple of bosses.

I <3 Lautrec.
Yeah, I killed him early this playthrough and now I miss him...

lol

Fuck Blight Town.

Not because of the framerate.
Not because the level design is so tricky.
Not because of the blow darts.

But because of that annoying howling. I HEAR howling, but I don't know WHERE they're coming from. I thought it 100% means I aggro'd something but apparently not. I saw an enemy that wasn't aggro'd but I hear the howl whenever he gets closer to me while he's doing patrol. It's so nerve-wrecking. I very often end up standing for a long time waiting for SOMETHING to get near me.

Please don't tell me Tomb of the Giants and New Anor Londo and that ghost town below Firelink are mandatory.

i have no idea to the howling you speak of....also, why dont you want these places to be mandatory?? is there any place besides PWoA that isn't?

Dyno

I thought it was worth it and I'm using the uchigatana now.

He sells some good things : the bottomless box, the residents key, heater shield, chainmail, and repair powder. Be sure to buy what you want from this list. The heater shield is good and I bought that. Chainmail wasn't much better than what I'm wearing so I skipped it. At least one repair powder is recomended because the uchigatana has a durability of 80. The weapons he sells (scimitar, rapier) are not as good as the weapon he weilds.

Get what you need and then put him out of his misery. It's actually an okay fight. Not tough, but watching him use the sword is cool.

embalm

I always do the Painted World before O&S. Seriously, do the Asylum, explore the Forest(tons of stuff to see), then do the Painted World.

Also drop a white soul sign and tag along in another persons game for a bit, you'll learn the area and earn lots of souls.

Kill the merchant, but make sure you buy everything before that; Mind your sanity, neither of us want to see you go hollow.

EasyMode

I don't recall any howling in Blighttown either.

Edit: Nevermind, you must mean those flesh-eating guys and that sound they make when they aggro.

zkylon

zkylewd
i have no idea to the howling you speak of....also, why dont you want these places to be mandatory?? is there any place besides PWoA that isn't?
The Great Hollow into Ash Lake, the Undead Asylum, Darkroot Basin, I hear even the Capra Demon is optional if you have the master key, though I've never tried it myself.

And yeah, no idea about the howling, lol. Maybe you need to feed your dog?

Ridley327

The Great Hollow into Ash Lake, the Undead Asylum, Darkroot Basin, I hear even the Capra Demon is optional if you have the master key, though I've never tried it myself.

Yeah, you don't have to do the Lower Burg, the Depths and the top part of Blighttown if you have the master key.

ya, you're right...and while I skip the great hollow and ash lake on certain playthroughs, I just dont get why someone would buy a game and then complain they have to do so many areas of the game

Sullichin

The only howling in the game that comes to mind are the mushroom dudes in the forest. I really can't think of ever hearing howling in Blighttown. Although there are those fire spitting dogs, maybe they howl...

Is there anything I should know DRM/save file wise if I decide to download this on my laptop? It's not going to somehow ruin the saves I have on my PC or disable the game will it? I want to keep it on my PC as well of course. Is this possible?

Yeah, you don't have to do the Lower Burg, the Depths and the top part of Blighttown if you have the master key.

Master Key is the easiest way to skip those areas, but once you have access to the darkroot forest by Andre, you can also go to darkroot basin -> valley of the drakes -> back entrance to blighttown.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
The bosses in this game are so great, I wish there was something akin to a boss rush mode.

There are so many boss fights I'd love to play again without having to play through the entire game all over.

If this game ever got a model replacement mod like Kingdom Hearts 2 had, that could potentially be one of the coolest things ever.

Facing off against multiple bosses at the same time.

The idea of facing Sif with summon Sif as your helper makes me chuckle.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
The only howling in the game that comes to mind are the mushroom dudes in the forest. I really can't think of ever hearing howling in Blighttown. Although there are those fire spitting dogs, maybe they howl...

Is there anything I should know DRM/save file wise if I decide to download this on my laptop? It's not going to somehow ruin the saves I have on my PC or disable the game will it? I want to keep it on my PC as well of course. Is this possible?

As long as they're linked to the same GfWL account, you should be fine.

BadWolf

The bosses in this game are so great, I wish there was something akin to a boss rush mode.

There are so many boss fights I'd love to play again without having to play through the entire game all over.

If this game ever got a model replacement mod like Kingdom Hearts 2 had, that could potentially be one of the coolest things ever.

Facing off against multiple bosses at the same time.

The idea of facing Sif with summon Sif as your helper makes me chuckle.

One of my only issues with the series, the lack of checkpoints at bosses (which is why I don't look forward to them usually). I don't mind it during the areas themselves (keeps the tension up) but bosses should definitely have checkpoints so you can try over and over instead of having to come all the way back each time from the last bonfire to give it another go.

Sullichin

As long as they're linked to the same GfWL account, you should be fine.

Thanks.

As for your boss rush mode idea, I had a similar idea while playing through Demon's Souls for the 900th time a couple of months ago.

I'd love it if there was an arcade 'challenge' mode of sorts in either game. You'd be given a mission (clear out undead parish / kill maneater boss) with a predetermined loadout / status effects that you can't change. Going further, people can make challenges for others to complete. The community does this already, people are always setting up challenge runs, it would just be cool if it were baked into the game in some way.

zkylon

zkylewd
I like the rush mode ideas, but I get the feeling like FROM really wouldn't like Dark Souls to get an arcade spin, at least officially.

I personally would like it, trying bosses with tons of different builds would be great...

That noise those regular enemies do... howling/yelping thing. Creep factor went up a notch when I noticed that the bigger ones were clubbing me with limbless human bodies.

Tower of Giant = dark + skellies though I forged a divine warpick JUST for them
Ghost town = ghosts going through walls, no idea how many I've aggro'd and how far they'll follow and how long it takes for them to get to me. The feeling of being followed and not knowing the number and distance always scared me. It's why in RE4 I sometimes fire a shot by the area entrance then let enemies get to me.

haha, understandable...it all comes with repetition...the numbers and locations are always the same...pretty soon it becomes manageable and its no biggie...though for sure those enemies and places are still challenging and the atmosphere in the game really heightens it

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Found and finished Painted World. Man, that was obvious as hell! I don't know how I missed it the first time.

Really liked the level. Those pinwheels in the sewers were a bitch though. Matter of fact, harder than Priscilla, who I nailed with 5 lighting Zweinhander hits.

Do you have any Charcoal Pine Resin on you? You could add that to your +10 Uchi as these guys are weak to fire. Doesn't sound like you're a pyro build, but if you happened to find the glove in Blighttown and have a few corresponding spells, worth switching up just for this part. Otherwise, if you've got any firebombs or black firebombs, now's the time to use them.

Do you have the Thunder Stoneplate Ring from the merchant hidden away in Sen's? Well worth equipping or making the trip back to grab it - the electricity defense boost helps a lot if you're caught in their butt-stomp radius.

The fire blacksmith is located all the way in the Catacombs, so not really practical to travel back down there without the warp ability, and plus it's hell trying to get back out of there manually.

Thanks for the advice to all who responded.

I'll head back to Sen's and grab that ring and some firebombs. I should also just ignore the two big sentinels in the room before that fight as I end up wasting a couple estus flasks killing them.

zkylon

zkylewd
Thanks for the advice to all who responded.

I'll head back to Sen's and grab that ring and some firebombs. I should also just ignore the two big sentinels in the room before that fight as I end up wasting a couple estus flasks killing them.
Yeah just run past them. You only have to kill the Sword Silver Knight and the Spear Silver Knight in the other room and you'd probably be able to run past them anyways.

yesterday I was so over-confident that I did a sprinting lunge at a wheel skeleton with my +5 velka's rapier. it felt really satisfying!

just got nito down for the first time on ng too which was fun. once I figured out that I needed to hang near the entrance with a divine butt-stabber to take out his little skeleton buddies it was just a matter of filling him with crystal soul spears and homing missiles and he was nice and manageable.

zkylon

zkylewd
Fucked up and unsuscribed to the thread, but fortunately it didn't move so much :p

Got the second ending and just started NG++. Got both bells already (the shortcut to Queelag with the master key is AMAZING) and I'm on Sen's right now. I would've gone faster but I forgot to ring the bell in Queelag's Domain so I had to backtrack all over again lol. So far no deaths, but that'll change eventually.

One achievement left, gotta kill Sif two more times to get it though T_T.

Lach

Capra defeated at last. Wasn't that hard in the end, after I realised I had to wait and block his first attack. In all attempts before I usually tried to rush for the stairs as many of the walkthroughs hinted but got cut down before I got there.

Now onto the dephts....

Forkball

Capra defeated at last. Wasn't that hard in the end, after I realised I had to wait and block his first attack. In all attempts before I usually tried to rush for the stairs as many of the walkthroughs hinted but got cut down before I got there.

Now onto the dephts....

First time I fought capra I died in about three seconds. You have to block LITERALLY IN THE FIRST MILLISECOND OF THE FIGHT or else you are done for.

Also, I'm trying to make Queelag's sword. Good idea?

upandaway

Just now beat the Capra dude too!

For like 20 tries, I was getting really frustrated because I just died the moment I entered and didn't know how to not get cornered. Couldn't defend because the dog always attacked me a fraction of a second before Capra which made his attack go through (I think I was just unlucky). Couldn't roll or dash out because dog+capraman=corridor.width().

Then one time suddenly, I blocked the first attack. By sheer luck I killed the dog, went up the stairs to kill the other dog, unloaded the ARMAGEDDON OF THE SUN, DEATH IN FLAMES FROM THE INFERNO OF SATAN'S SCORCHING INSTRUMENTS OF TORTURE and 2 slashes later he's dead.

So, uh, pyromancy lol.

Haha.. ha.. ha.

So, random question.

When I get bored sometimes I'll head to the Bell Gargoyle area and let people summon me to help them. It's easy souls and humanity.

But it seems like most of the time the people that summon me in are already decked out in crazy armor and weapons, and end up killing the gargoyles in like, four hits.

Are they just grabbing the master key and doing EVERYTHING else before doing the gargoyles, or what?

krakov

First time I fought capra I died in about three seconds. You have to block LITERALLY IN THE FIRST MILLISECOND OF THE FIGHT or else you are done for.

Also, I'm trying to make Queelag's sword. Good idea?

Not really, but you have to react fast.

Furysword is a decent dex weapon and chaos blade is good. Wouldn't recommend using it as your main pve weapon though. I would say go +15 instead if you have high dex.

Ridley327

Also, I had to :lol pretty hard at finding out that Frampt will give you only one soul if you feed him Smough's soul.

Even insane primordial serpents think Smough sucks!

210 isn't really much.

finally made it to Gwyn and took him down, feels good man. ng+ is a lot easier than I'd expected, and I've been getting invaded a lot already which is awesome.

yeah that wasn't very helpful, sorry. ridley knows what's up, get to sen's and grab the covetous serpent ring and you'll have a sexy sword in no time.

No worries, man! I know it's not too much, but I've never had any more than like, 2 humanity before today. Now I have 10. It's kind of fun.

I'm just so scared of dying and losing it all now, even though I can't really do anything with it. =P

Forkball

Went back to the asylum and got some neat stuff, but skipped the boss. It was pretty trippy to fight the guy who I talked to at the very beginning. I am headed to the Painted World now, any tips? Is it long? I heard once you get in you can't leave, so I don't want to screw myself.

Also I just saw that snake guy in Firelink and he scared the crap out of me.

Top Bottom