• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

cm osi

Went back to the asylum and got some neat stuff, but skipped the boss. It was pretty trippy to fight the guy who I talked to at the very beginning. I am headed to the Painted World now, any tips? Is it long? I heard once you get in you can't leave, so I don't want to screw myself.

Also I just saw that snake guy in Firelink and he scared the crap out of me.

be in human form because there's a NPC phantom who drops a unique weapon

zkylon

zkylewd
Went back to the asylum and got some neat stuff, but skipped the boss. It was pretty trippy to fight the guy who I talked to at the very beginning. I am headed to the Painted World now, any tips? Is it long? I heard once you get in you can't leave, so I don't want to screw myself.

Also I just saw that snake guy in Firelink and he scared the crap out of me.
You should try to kill the Asylum Demon Mk2, he drops the incredibly useful Titanite Slab.

The Painted World isn't really hard, but take care when you drop into the well, that's all I'm gonna say :p

Ridley327

be in human form because there's a NPC phantom who drops a unique weapon

Also, killing him will allow you to grab his armor, which rather unique, to say the very least.

It's kinda weird, though, because you might have to quit and reload for it to appear in the spot that it's supposed to.

cm osi

Also, killing him will allow you to grab his armor, which rather unique, to say the very least.

It's kinda weird, though, because you might have to quit and reload for it to appear in the spot that it's supposed to.

oh. that's why i missed it then.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
You have to go pretty far into the graveyard to trigger Jeremiah spawning, at least, that's how it was for me.

And be prepared for a fight, he's no slouch. His fire magic is pretty strong.

wow, invasions and co-op are so much more common in ng+

there are actually summon signs everywhere, and I've been invaded at least once in every zone so far, excellent stuff.

The Painted World isn't really hard, but take care when you drop into the well, that's all I'm gonna say :p

or just avoid that whole mess entirely and go up the stairs instead. if you come from the other side it's far easier to pull them one by one using a bow, then kite them into the alcove you used to enter so they get "stuck" temporarily because of the recessed floor, giving you enough time to administer a one-two punch.

Man, people weren't joking about how easy it is to parry Gwyn. Block the first attack and press L2. You don't even have to look.

Kind of a relief because the dude is ferocious on NG+3.

ArynCrinn

Banned
or just avoid that whole mess entirely and go up the stairs instead. if you come from the other side it's far easier to pull them one by one using a bow, then kite them into the alcove you used to enter so they get "stuck" temporarily because of the recessed floor, giving you enough time to administer a one-two punch.

Or a three-four doing a base SL run, sometimes five if the bastards jump back at the right moment! :p

It's amazing how doing a base SL playthrough can make you respect the difficulty again, new strategies and all that. I took leveling up for granted way too often, measly enemies in the right areas can be a bitch, especially in the Painted World. Although some enemies and bosses are roughly the same just requiring more methodical and exact strategy. But I love all the new experimenting I'm doing.

zkylon

zkylewd
I just died for the first time in NG++. Was dumb twice against the Iron Golem lol. I'm really rushing this playthrough, but I want to see how fast you can do the game.

wow, invasions and co-op are so much more common in ng+

there are actually summon signs everywhere, and I've been invaded at least once in every zone so far, excellent stuff.

Oh man, I didn't recognize you with the new avatar. I have the exact same one on Skype, but I miss your Cate Archer days lol...

I just had a slightly disturbing scene play out before me.

I was hanging out at the bonfire at the bottom of Blight Town, waiting to be summoned to help someone with Quelaag. I get summoned and the three of us head out. Maneater Mildred invades, and we hang out on that little bit of land and wait for her to come for us. She arrives and we all just surround her in a triangle, each taking turns backstabbing her and throwing her back into the middle of our 'ring'.

For a moment there, I almost felt sorry for her, seeing her sprawled out on the ground before us, not even able to defend herself... :(

Or a three-four doing a base SL run, sometimes five if the bastards jump back at the right moment! :p

It's amazing how doing a base SL playthrough can make you respect the difficulty again, new strategies and all that. I took leveling up for granted way too often, measly enemies in the right areas can be a bitch, especially in the Painted World. Although some enemies and bosses are roughly the same just requiring more methodical and exact strategy. But I love all the new experimenting I'm doing.

can't wait to trying sl1 again, now that I know the game better I really look forward to all the creative problem solving

I just died for the first time in NG++. Was dumb twice against the Iron Golem lol. I'm really rushing this playthrough, but I want to see how fast you can do the game.

Oh man, I didn't recognize you with the new avatar. I have the exact same one on Skype, but I miss your Cate Archer days lol...

avatars are serious business. cate almost got a run but the fallout scream was just too good.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.

I was hanging out at the bonfire at the bottom of Blight Town, waiting to be summoned to help someone with Quelaag. I get summoned and the three of us head out. Maneater Mildred invades, and we hang out on that little bit of land and wait for her to come for us. She arrives and we all just surround her in a triangle, each taking turns backstabbing her and throwing her back into the middle of our 'ring'.

For a moment there, I almost felt sorry for her, seeing her sprawled out on the ground before us, not even able to defend herself... :(
Sounds like dark souls is promoting rape culture.

Forkball

I DID IT I BEAT O+S GET OWNED

F0D520162695BDA5D8FEDA440029BD3D5B18C5B8

My lord, the journey just to beat those bastards. I had to trek all the way back to Firelink, explore the asylum again, darkroot guardian, the painted world, a bit of grinding to get Queelaag's Furysword, new pyro spells, new armor and equipment JUST TO HAVE A SHRED OF A CHANCE TO WIN.

Even when I was at the Anor Londo bonfire ready to go, it was still crazy. I use up a humanity and summon two people. As we're getting ready to head out, BAM I'm invaded. This guy is about to be surprised. It's 3 on 1, but one of the phantoms stays back. I try to get some shots in, but the phantom nearly kills me in one hit. I retreat and let the other phantom finish it. He picked the wrong world to invade.

My two companions are some mage guy with insane spells, and what seems to be a typical warrior. The mage guy tears through the enemies right before the boss room. This is going to be so easy I think as I step through the fog gate. I immediately try to space myself between the enemies to see what's going on. However, the knight guy goes for Ornstein first, and the mage goes for Smough. I honestly didn't care who went down first. Suddenly, like 15 seconds into the battle, the mage guy is more or less one hit killed by Smough as he was standing there. I have no idea if he lagged out or what, but he just stood there and died. The warrior and I refocus on Smough and beat him. Now it's us vs. SSJ Ornstein. The battle is going ok, I'm using my pyro spells and he is getting in some good attacks. However, Ornstein does the butt slam and kills my partner. Ornstein has about four bars left. I can do it right? ALMOST. I got him down to two bars before I died. UGH.

Round 2. I summon two more phantoms, including the SAME MAGE GUY. I was fearing a repeat of last time to be honest. So we go to the boss chamber again. This time, I take the initiative and start killing Ornstein, I don't want the apparently squishy mage to die like last time. We kill Ornstein and then take on Smough with ease. BAM VICTORY ACHIEVED as my saviors fade away. Yes, I wimped out by summoning two dudes to do most of the work, but the sheer effort it took me to get ready for this fight was my own boss.

So uh... what do I do next? I bought the crest that opens the forest door from the blacksmith, is that the next area? Frampt is asleep so I don't know where to go next.

Also a bunch of weird stuff has been happening in my game. For one, Solaire disappeared from Anor Londo when I tried to fight O+S for the final time and I didn't see his summon sign. Laurentius is also missing from Firelink. One time I randomly got a message that said "Disasters are averted after Gravelord's servant's defeat." Plus I am starting to see weird circles everywhere like this:

What's happening in this gameeeeee

NBtoaster

What's happening in this gameeeeee

Punch frampt in the nose once to wake him up, then he'll unlock the rest of the game.

The circles increase the strength of miracles cast around them.

Laurentius can be found in Blightown, he went to find the Daughter of Chaos. A new pyromancer trainer can be found there too.

The disasters are part of the Gravelord Servant covenant, your world was cursed briefly, giving it harder enemies, but then somebody else defeated the gravelord uncursing it.

zkylon

zkylewd

Ha, reminds me of that scene from Requiem for a Dream.

avatars are serious business. cate almost got a run but the fallout scream was just too good.
I used this one for a while too:
Vault Boy too awesome :D

</endOffTopic>

I DID IT I BEAT O+S GET OWNED
Congrats dude, that means you have two roadblocks done out of three, and I'm sure you'll find your reward (tits and warping) more than fitting.

No shame in summoning people to help, that's what the mechanic's there for. I've had a lot of fun helping people out against S&O, even though most just don't give a shit and refuse to spend a single Estus Flask on your sorry ass.

It'll feel really good if you manage to beat them on your own in NG+, though you might regret having killed Orstein first in NG.

Forkball

I think depending on who you kill last, that's whose loot you get. Ornstein is obviously the cooler one, so people want his gear.

I have my Uchigatana up to +5, but I'm not sure what path to take it. I can make a Divine Uchigatana, is it a smart idea?

zkylon

zkylewd
I think depending on who you kill last, that's whose loot you get. Ornstein is obviously the cooler one, so people want his gear.

I have my Uchigatana up to +5, but I'm not sure what path to take it. I can make a Divine Uchigatana, is it a smart idea?
Yup, you get the armor of whoever you kill last, plus if you go for Orstein second, you get the Leo Ring. Doing Orstein second is harder, since mega Smough is a pushover.

I don't really like Divine weapons, if I were you I'd go +15 if going for a Dex build (40+) or Fire/Chaos if not. Lighting is also good, but I find fire more useful. If you're going for a Faith build, do go the Divine/Occult way. Same for Int builds, do Magic/Enchanted. You want the upgrade path that scales best with your stats.

Divine isn't a path I would take. Are you planning on getting a lot of DEX? Like 40+? Then just continue the standard upgrade path to Uchi +15. I had 43 DEX and and Iaito +15 at the end of my game and that weapon was extremely powerful. The good thing is that you can still enchant it or use resin that way. If you plan on getting less DEX, going the lightning path is a good alternative. I'd recommend +15 though.

why are so many darkwraiths such sore losers?

like I mentioned yesterday, I've been getting heaps of invasions in ng+ which is great. thing is, my build is total glass-cannon; I can one-shot most other players with a single crystal soul mass casting, but someone with a decent weapon staggering me or causing blood-loss will render me incapable of defending myself.

what that means in practice however is that I can prepare an ambush with ring of fog and insta-gib anyone who invades me. one guy yesterday got so pissed off that he yanked his cable as soon as I killed him then started sending me messages calling me "scrub" and suggesting I "get some skill please". my reply was "lol", then "block communications from this user".

what do you guys think? is there anything wrong with using whatever you have at your disposal to see off invaders? because in my opinion, this whole "invade for duels" thing is nonsense and in opposition to the spirit of souls multiplayer. if someone invades me while I'm clearing the way for solaire to get to o&s I'm not going to wait around for them to bow before I try to send them packing, I'm going to set up an ambush and kick them the fuck out of my game.

Ha, reminds me of that scene from Requiem for a Dream

0_0

Can you sell unused equipment in this game? If so where, please?

once you ring both bells someone will show up at firelink who trades souls for unwanted items.

why are so many darkwraiths such sore losers?

like I mentioned yesterday, I've been getting heaps of invasions in ng+ which is great. thing is, my build is total glass-cannon; I can one-shot most other players with a single crystal soul mass casting, but someone with a decent weapon staggering me or causing blood-loss will render me incapable of defending myself.

what that means in practice however is that I can prepare an ambush with ring of fog and insta-gib anyone who invades me. one guy yesterday got so pissed off that he yanked his cable as soon as I killed him then started sending me messages calling me "scrub" and suggesting I "get some skill please". my reply was "lol", then "block communications from this user".

what do you guys think? is there anything wrong with using whatever you have at your disposal to see off invaders? because in my opinion, this whole "invade for duels" thing is nonsense and in opposition to the spirit of souls multiplayer. if someone invades me while I'm clearing the way for solaire to get to o&s I'm not going to wait around for them to bow before I try to send them packing, I'm going to set up an ambush and kick them the fuck out of my game.

0_0

once you ring both bells someone will show up at firelink who trades souls for unwanted items.

If you get invaded, you do what you need to do to survive, as long as you are not glitching or cheating, as far as I'm concerned.

There are no rules or honor.

I am in complete agreement - whatever works for you - use it. PvP duels, great no problem with that - that's for summoning someone for PvP, when you are invaded, there are no rules.

Invaders who are sore losers are usually just pissed that you killed them more imaginatively than they would - basically you did something other than giants armour/derp mask/hornet ring fish for backstab. They want to invade, get their backstab, do the "well what is it" gesture and that's it - anything past that they can't handle. Which is why it's so very delicious to kill them any other way you like! *evil grin*

If you get invaded, you do what you need to do to survive, as long as you are not glitching or cheating, as far as I'm concerned.

There are no rules or honor.

for real. invasions are an act of war, if I respond with guerilla tactics because the alternative is certain death I won't apologise.

I am in complete agreement - whatever works for you - use it. PvP duels, great no problem with that - that's for summoning someone for PvP, when you are invaded, there are no rules.

Invaders who are sore losers are usually just pissed that you killed them more imaginatively than they would - basically you did something other than giants armour/derp mask/hornet ring fish for backstab. They want to invade, get their backstab, do the "well what is it" gesture and that's it - anything past that they can't handle. Which is why it's so very delicious to kill them any other way you like! *evil grin*

haha this is what I was thinking. there are ways to take part in jolly duels with other likeminded souls players, if you instead choose to take the griefing path then you've made your own bed.

upandaway

Any tips for what to spend souls on? I just beat the Depths boss.

I had 40k souls, and pretty much went wild on levels and pyromancy, and I still have 13k souls left.

I really don't wanna walk around with 13k souls.. and I'm human too (invaders I hate you, even if you're 33% of the reason I have so many souls).. ughhhh should I just buy some more of those anti-curse stones?

Ridley327

I had 40k souls, and pretty much went wild on levels and pyromancy, and I still have 13k souls left.

I really don't wanna walk around with 13k souls.. and I'm human too (invaders I hate you, even if you're 33% of the reason I have so many souls).. ughhhh should I just buy some more of those anti-curse stones?

Never hurts to use them for gear upgrades, even if it's just buying titanite. There's an ember that you can find in the Depth that you can give to Andre that will allow you to get to +10 on normal weapons.

upandaway

Never hurts to use them for gear upgrades, even if it's just buying titanite. There's an ember that you can find in the Depth that you can give to Andre that will allow you to get to +10 on normal weapons.
Wait what, I gave him the ember and nothing happened. Is it because I'm holding the drake sword and nothing works on that?

And speaking of that sword... will I ever get a spear which is as good but is.. a spear? I like spears more than swords but it's kinda hard to choose when it does 100 damage less.

I guess I could try upgrading some armor! My problem is that I just don't know how long I'll use that armor, but I'll just go with something.

ditch the drake sword, ascend a basic weapon instead. drake sword requires dragon scales and lots of souls to keep it competitive, unless you work on it specifically a basic weapon with upgrades will rapidly overtake it.

zkylon

zkylewd
The only rule I think is valid in PvP is not healing, since I think it cheapens the encounter, though I'll happily break it if I'm not fishing for PvP (i.e. running to S&O) or the fight is not interesting enough. Other than that, anything goes, specially since most invaders just turtle with Havel's set. I personally like to shoot Toxic Cloud at them and watch them slowly die mwhahaha

Every time you help someone kill a boss, that faith requirement goes down by 5.
This stays through NG+, too, as do your gestures, so just help out a couple dudes in NG, another couple in NG+, and you'll never feel like you're grinding.

Leveling up End is never a bad idea, but your main expense should always be upgrades, specially for your weapons.

Ridley327

Wait what, I gave him the ember and nothing happened. Is it because I'm holding the drake sword and nothing works on that?

And speaking of that sword... will I ever get a spear which is as good but is.. a spear? I like spears more than swords but it's kinda hard to choose when it does 100 damage less.

I guess I could try upgrading some armor! My problem is that I just don't know how long I'll use that armor, but I'll just go with something.

Spears generally have OK Dex scaling, so if your build is focusing on that, you should see the benefits the more you upgrade the weapon. It's also worth pointing out that you'll be able to imbue weapons with elemental effects, like fire, magic, and lightning, but those come at the cost of the scaling bonuses.

upandaway

Hmm.. thanks, okay. Guess I'll use the souls to upgrade a normal weapon.

I'll just upgrade the normal/winged spear as far as possible and see where that takes me. I haven't really focused on dex (or any kind of offense really, thanks to pyromancy) though, I'll keep an eye on it.

If I get invaded, how I respond generally depends on my mood. Sometimes I'll go an honorable fight, sometimes I'm just not in the mood and kill the invader by any means necessary.

If Im feeling really evil, I'll go find a spot where no one will find me, park, and go make a sandwich. Sometimes the manage to root me out, but often I'll come back 20 minutes later, and the Invader's gotten bored of wandering around aimlessly and BP'd out.

(This works especially well in Blighttown)

Ridley327

Hmm.. thanks, okay. Guess I'll use the souls to upgrade a normal weapon.

I'll just upgrade the normal/winged spear as far as possible and see where that takes me. I haven't really focused on dex (or any kind of offense really, thanks to pyromancy) though, I'll keep an eye on it.

Dex is actually a really important skill if you're using magic of any kind, since your spells will cast faster the higher it is.

Just throwing that out there!

upandaway

Haha, branching upgrade paths! I feel like I'm playing monhun again.

Dex is actually a really important skill if you're using magic of any kind, since your spells will cast faster the higher it is.

Just throwing that out there!
Whoa okay whoa, okay. Whoa. Let's calm down and think about this carefully. Okay.

I like this.

If I get invaded, how I respond generally depends on my mood. Sometimes I'll go an honorable fight, sometimes I'm just not in the mood and kill the invader by any means necessary.

If Im feeling really evil, I'll go find a spot where no one will find me, park, and go make a sandwich. Sometimes the manage to root me out, but often I'll come back 20 minutes later, and the Invader's gotten bored of wandering around aimlessly and BP'd out.

(This works especially well in Blighttown)

see also: chameleon in painted world

upandaway

:lol I'm strolling around Blighttown and every few steps I get a random +150 souls without doing anything. It happened at least 4 times already. I love you, AI.

Top Bottom