• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

you can also join the cat covenant or trade Snuggly a skull lantern for the ring of fog, or buy hidden body from dusk. with the stealth effect up you can make it pretty much to the top without being seen, then you just need to sprint up to the guy on the right and get stabby.

willooi

ArynCrinn

Banned
can't wait to trying sl1 again, now that I know the game better I really look forward to all the creative problem solving.

Coolest thing about no level-up runs, which if you're like me and hadn't done yet, is the moment you realize you literally have very little to do with say 50,000 souls.

Since doing this run, unless I need to restock items or upgrades or don't feel like hiking back I just end up pissing away countless souls. Feels good.

I got a message earlier as I was entering Sen's Fortress for the first time that I'd been Gravelorded.

Nothing happened tho. Kinda lame. Seems like it's a really rare thing to happen.

:O

I just realised something; the chest in darkroot which is guarded by two giant mushrooms
also appears in the royal wood version of the same area. and while it's got the enchanted ember in the main game it has a blue slab in the dlc. just let that sink in for a moment.

Coolest thing about no level-up runs, which if you're like me and hadn't done yet, is the moment you realize you literally have very little to do with say 50,000 souls.

Since doing this run, unless I need to restock items or upgrades or don't feel like hiking back I just end up pissing away countless souls. Feels good.

that was my experience when I tried it last too, once you've upgraded the set you want to use and ascended a flame to +15 there's really not much to spend those puppies on.

zkylon

zkylewd
:O

I just realised something; the chest in darkroot which is guarded by two giant mushrooms
also appears in the royal wood version of the same area. and while it's got the enchanted ember in the main game it has a blue slab in the dlc. just let that sink in for a moment.
Amazing. FROM is really one level ahead of everyone in the art of environmental storytelling.

Lach

Spent some time trying to help people with queelag yesterday. Some were quite stupid though. More than once we ran through the swamp and I had to watch my HP drown from being toxic and dying from it, because the hosts didn't realize it was up to them to heal me...

Spent some time trying to help people with queelag yesterday. Some were quite stupid though. More than once we ran through the swamp and I had to watch my HP drown from being toxic and dying from it, because the hosts didn't realize it was up to them to heal me...
Well there's a few groups of thought on whether it's up to the host to heal phantoms or not.

I fall into the camp of 'heal thyself' - have some humanity to hand if you're a phantom, especially before the boss fog or early on when a host might only have 5 flasks. As the host I always keep an eye on healthbars during a boss fight and heal accordingly - as a phantom I expect the the same from the host, but don't rely on it.

Forkball

Ok, I think I done goofed. Saved Laurentius a long time ago, and upgraded my flame a bit. One day he disappears, and I think someone in here said he was in Blighttown. So I go to Blightown and look around. I think I see him, but he attacks so I just assume it was some random pyromancer enemy. Turns out it WAS Laurentius. I also accidentally killed Eingyi when I answered his question wrong and he wouldn't move when I beat Queelag. My flame is only +2 and I heard it has to be +10 to get another pyromancer to appear. So did I basically screw myself out of higher pyromancer spells?

Also, the mushroom men in Darkroot Garden are strangely humorous.

NBtoaster

Ok, I think I done goofed. Saved Laurentius a long time ago, and upgraded my flame a bit. One day he disappears, and I think someone in here said he was in Blighttown. So I go to Blightown and look around. I think I see him, but he attacks so I just assume it was some random pyromancer enemy. Turns out it WAS Laurentius. I also accidentally killed Eingyi when I answered his question wrong and he wouldn't move when I beat Queelag. My flame is only +2 and I heard it has to be +10 to get another pyromancer to appear. So did I basically screw myself out of higher pyromancer spells?

The conditions for the other pyromancer aren't really known. +10 is the way to guarantee they shows up, but there are other things you can do. Search around Blighttown to see if there's anyone sitting next to a pillar.

I'm slow.

Games been out for what, 2 months, and I only finished it now?

Yeah, well it doesn't help I was sidetracked with multiple characters, I think I had 5 active at one point. But I actually finished the game, completely with one of them this weekend. Other ones are challenge characters/co-op/pvp.

Overall the DLC was a lot tougher than the base game. If this is any indication of FromSoft learning from/listening to their players, and adapting the difficulty, then I have a strong feeling that the next Souls game is going to whoop me even harder.

It was fun, and it was nice to explore the world of Dark Souls a little more.

Anyways, I got a couple videos I'll upload later to finish off my highlights reel of my play-through.

Awesome game. Worth the double-dip to play on the PC. (Thanks Durante)

Totally scared of the next one, but can't wait.

zkylon

zkylewd
Well there's a few groups of thought on whether it's up to the host to heal phantoms or not.

I fall into the camp of 'heal thyself' - have some humanity to hand if you're a phantom, especially before the boss fog or early on when a host might only have 5 flasks. As the host I always keep an eye on healthbars during a boss fight and heal accordingly - as a phantom I expect the the same from the host, but don't rely on it.
Well really as a friendly phantom your actual role is just hiding behind your shield while the host gets free hits, so you shouldn't really be getting damaged.

Yeah, unfortunately you're fucked. Pyromancy is pretty useful but if you don't have many attunement slots you'll probably won't miss it that much.

Question about accessing the DLC

So I read im supposed to find
Dusk behind the Hydra in Darkroot, yet there is nothing in the cave behind, I keep walking and walking in the water and just find a empty cave entrance :(, is my save fucked?

Also, when is it a good idea to do the DLC, im about level 60 now with a fully maxxed out Zhewehainder Lightning?

EasyMode

Question about accessing the DLC

So I read im supposed to find
Dusk behind the Hydra in Darkroot, yet there is nothing in the cave behind, I keep walking and walking in the water and just find a empty cave entrance :(, is my save fucked?

Also, when is it a good idea to do the DLC, im about level 60 now with a fully maxxed out Zhewehainder Lightning?

That's normal, just quit to main menu and reload your save.

I'd say equipment is a bigger factor for the DLC. That weapon should be fine, a high stability shield helps a lot too.

Durante

I just saw in Steam that I've apparently played DS for 135 hours. I can't even recall spending that much time on any other game in the past 2 years. Such a fantastic title. And I'm still not done with it!

After the advice from this thread I modified my build slightly and went with the Moonlight Greatsword as my primary melee weapon. It has been totally awesome, in PvE and particularly in PvP. I'm on a killing streak of 5 invaders now.

I just saw in Steam that I've apparently played DS for 135 hours. I can't even recall spending that much time on any other game in the past 2 years. Such a fantastic title. And I'm still not done with it!

After the advice from this thread I modified my build slightly and went with the Moonlight Greatsword as my primary melee weapon. It has been totally awesome, in PvE and particularly in PvP. I'm on a killing streak of 5 invaders now.

Sweet, I have "only" put about 50 hours into my save which is completely ridiculous for me, I usually only play games for like 5-8 hours.

Also, a million thanks for the fix, I would have probably avoided the game without it, would have been a shame as it is now my favorite game this gen.

Loginius

So I am in my fist NG and thought I try some PvP with the Ring from Alvina...

Am I just that bad or does the game not care about lvl difference at all / changes completely in PvP?

I had about 15 fights and only won like 3 of them and those 3 times I felt like I cheated because I tried some of those cheap tactics I experienced before...

So here is my experience:

Backstab is shit, I think I lost my first 3-4 matches bacause I was getting backstabed constantly.
Which would not have been a problem if they were actually behind me.
The way I experienced it you can already backstab when you roll "into" somebody or if you circle strafe and are only halfway around them.
Its dumb but I was able to addapt to that by either doing it myself (first of those 3 wins) or keep my distance.

Then there are those guys that wear extreme heavy weapons and armor that soaks up your first few hits and once they get to you you are stunlocked (and in my case dead in ~3 hits)...
I backstabed the guy 3 times before he hit me and he was not even at half health (with artorias greatsword +5).

And last but not least there are those that feel fair in the beginning until you realize that the guy is like 100-300lvl above you because he can soak up dmg with his giant lifebar, dish out without ever going zero stamina and jet wield the strongest kinds of "magic" found in the game while in the end still pull out that giant two hander / big shield...

I can beat O&S by myself without losing any health but it was imposible for me to even figure out why I was losing so badly...
What seemed to work really well was a lightning spear and a shield and attacking them while keeping a distance (my other two wins) but it felt so incredible boring and cheap that I stoped using it.

The way I experienced it your skill did indeed determine the outcome of the match, sadly your skill in stunlocking / backstabing your opponent which is not very fun imo.

Is PvP truly only about exploiting the games mechanics to this degree or am I just that bad that I have to resort to such tactics to win?

Please tell me its the later because if not I will probably not care about the PvP aspect any longer and focus on the awesome PvE experience.

/rant of a sore looser

Iknorite. My Steam time says 150 hours played, plus I have another 120 or so in the PS3 version. Going to take a bit of a break, but by no means, am I done with this game.

Am I just that bad or does the game not care about lvl difference at all / changes completely in PvP?

cat covenant invasions ignore levels totally. the basic idea is that a fully decked out level 120 character can go there and defend themselves from waves of forest hunters of varying levels, but it doesn't really work that way most of the time.

Okay, managed to get it uploaded this afternoon.

The finale to my Dark Souls Prepare to Die, highlights reel!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tc12LHMqDoM&list=PLFBBDE8FD663440DB&index=45&feature=plpp_video

It's been fun playing along with this thread, and updating my progress via video contribution. I've had heaps of enjoyment playing through this game again!

The entire playlist can be found at: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFBBDE8FD663440DB&feature=plcp

Going to take a bit of a break, but I'll be back to do some challenge runs in the future.

Thanks for watching GAF!

Just got to The Catacombs.

What the hell.
You need a divine weapon to kill the skeletons permanently, or kill their 'host' necromancer, i.e. somewhere close to each group of skeletons is a necromancer, kill him to stop them ressurrecting if you don't have a divine weapon. Necro's also drop a useful item for the next area. Great area the Catacombs, full of twists, turns, shortcuts, drops - fun for PvP.

Forest Hunter Covenant is terrible, people just farm invaders, it's sad...
It's pointless. They just summon two phantoms and wait to gank invaders, where's the fun?!

There is that shortcut/drop off to the Basin, I suppose you could invade, drop off and run and hide somewhere in the Basin then go take the dog for a walk for an hour or something!

BadWolf

You need a divine weapon to kill the skeletons permanently, or kill their 'host' necromancer, i.e. somewhere close to each group of skeletons is a necromancer, kill him to stop them ressurrecting if you don't have a divine weapon. Necro's also drop a useful item for the next area. Great area the Catacombs, full of twists, turns, shortcuts, drops - fun for PvP.

The thing that makes that area less frustrating imo is the fact that Necro's don't respawn, you take each one down only once.

krakov

Please tell me its the later because if not I will probably not care about the PvP aspect any longer and focus on the awesome PvE experience.

The forest is not a good place for dueling or "fair" PvP. On consoles you can just go to Undead burg and hang around and/or put out a red sign and you'll have lots of civilized and good PvP action. Or invade yourself with the red eye stone and behave like you think is appropriate

I'm slow.

Games been out for what, 2 months, and I only finished it now?

Yeah, well it doesn't help I was sidetracked with multiple characters, I think I had 5 active at one point. But I actually finished the game, completely with one of them this weekend. Other ones are challenge characters/co-op/pvp.

Overall the DLC was a lot tougher than the base game. If this is any indication of FromSoft learning from/listening to their players, and adapting the difficulty, then I have a strong feeling that the next Souls game is going to whoop me even harder.

It was fun, and it was nice to explore the world of Dark Souls a little more.

Anyways, I got a couple videos I'll upload later to finish off my highlights reel of my play-through.

Awesome game. Worth the double-dip to play on the PC. (Thanks Durante)

Totally scared of the next one, but can't wait.

My boyfriend has put a few hundred hours into it between the PS3 and PC and has yet to beat Gwyn. He'll just keep rolling new alts/etc and re-running the game, yet cant bring himself to actually 'beat' it.

Cheeto

My boyfriend has put a few hundred hours into it between the PS3 and PC and has yet to beat Gwyn. He'll just keep rolling new alts/etc and re-running the game, yet cant bring himself to actually 'beat' it.

I keep making new heroes too... I think the furthest one of them is, is having 2 or 3 lord souls.

Sullichin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tc12LHMqDoM&list=PLFBBDE8FD663440DB&index=45&feature=plpp_video

It's been fun playing along with this thread, and updating my progress via video contribution. I've had heaps of enjoyment playing through this game again!

The entire playlist can be found at: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFBBDE8FD663440DB&feature=plcp

Going to take a bit of a break, but I'll be back to do some challenge runs in the future.

Thanks for watching GAF!

Nice, I will check it out! I really need to go back and finish my deprived challenge. But i've actually been playing other games.

Nice, I will check it out! I really need to go back and finish my deprived challenge. But i've actually been playing other games.

I don't blame you. I'm feeling the burnout. Played a bit of Escape Chernarus, an ARMA 2 mod (awesome) and been having a blast with that.

I'm going to take a bit of a break, but I'll be back for some good ol' challenge runs soon.

In the meantime, I've been trying to get my PVP on, and can't seem to find areas to situate myself. Everything is deserted.

Thanks for watching GAF!

Watching right now, :) thank you

yeah I did this for a good 250 hours before I killed the big man. nearly finished ng+ now, and while it's cool and everything I do think that the best parts of the game are all before you place the lordvessel.
kiln of the first flame
is an impressive environment visually, and there are a couple of fun fights like
nito
, but overall it has that feeling of an endgame which resembles a round-robin tournament rather than a game.

it's like "you played a great season, now time for the semis then on to the finals" which isn't totally awful but feels incongruous when you consider how natural progression feels up to that point.

I'm still chipping away at the game. I've been side tracked with other games and honestly, as amazing as DS is, it's such an exhausting effort and so demanding that I have to take breaks from it periodically.

That said, I just finished up Londo ruins and
curious if there's an easy way to get all the way down to the demon ruins? Or do I have to hike all the way back through Blighttown/quelaag's domain?

I've already beaten Quelaag, rang the bell and lit the fire just past that where those maggot corpses are
but it doesn't show up as a warp option. I checked the wiki and it says it SHOULD be there.

is something wrong here or do I simply need to re-visit that bonfire in order for it to be added to my warp list?

I'm still chipping away at the game. I've been side tracked with other games and honestly, as amazing as DS is, it's such an exhausting effort and so demanding that I have to take breaks from it periodically.

curious if there's an easy way to get all the way down to the demon ruins? Or do I have to hike all the way back through Blighttown/quelaag's domain?

I've already beaten Quelaag, rang the bell and lit the fire just past that where those maggot corpses are
but it doesn't show up as a warp option. I checked the wiki and it says it SHOULD be there.

is something wrong here or do I simply need to re-visit that bonfire in order for it to be added to my warp list?

Yes, it SHOULD be there. I think you should try to revisit it, and see if it was just a glitch. Methinks it's just a glitch.

that's not a glitch:

there are two bonfires after Quelaag, the demon ruins entrance and the daughter of chaos covenant bonfire. only the latter is warp enabled, so you need to speak with eingyi (?) and move him out of the way, activate the bonfire next to Quelaana and you're set.

took me about 200 hours to figure that out >.>

zkylon

zkylewd

Hiking back from the Valley of Drakes shortcut will only take 10 minutes tops, and will skip 90% of Blighttown. You need the key to New Londo or something like that, that you might've found in Blighttown, or the Master Key.

Loginius

that's not a glitch:

there are two bonfires after Quelaag, the demon ruins entrance and the daughter of chaos covenant bonfire. only the latter is warp enabled, so you need to speak with eingyi (?) and move him out of the way, activate the bonfire next to Quelaana and you're set.

took me about 200 hours to figure that out >.>
This bonfire is also behind a invisible wall.
Might be importat when searching for it.

Top Bottom