• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Forkball

Fighting Pinwheel:
goodone1.gif

30 seconds into Tomb of the Giants:
oh_well.gif

upandaway

Maybe someone could help me out with this here..

So I've been playing DS with the Xbox 360 controller so far. Today I plugged in a random USB controller, checked it works, went into DS to see that it works. 360 controller is still plugged in during all of this.

Now the game doesn't recognize the 360 controller (except the "live" button, wat) while the other controller is plugged in. Every other game I have recognizes both controllers. If I unplug the cheap one, it recognizes the 360 controller again.

I'd really like to have both controllers always plugged in and have DS always recognize the 360 controller (I don't care if it doesn't recognize the other one).. any way to do this?

I messed with this for way too long and just gave up. For some bizarre reason this game really prefers the cheap throwaway USB controller over an official 360 one. Help please (please)

cast light is also really good for tomb of the giants, it has roughly the same range as the maggot but you can still wear whatever you want on your noggin. the limited charges are annoying, but three is more than enough to leap between bonfires.

the truthiest gif on all the internets

zkylon

zkylewd
Wow, didn't play this for a couple days and I've gotten rusty as hell. Got killed for the first time by the Anor Londo archers.

Booshka

Thought I made a perfect level 100 dex character but then I realise I just need 2 more int to use all of Dusk's fun spells :(

Here's mine

44 Vit
14 Att
40 End
11 Str (so I can 2H 16 str weps if I want)
40 Dex
12 Res
14 Int
8 Fai

I was going to put 6 points into Vit for an even 50, and take them out of ATT/INT, but having those spells to work with is way more valuable and fun than the extra 90 or so HP.

Loginius

I get strange framedrops at specific points in the game (I guess when the game loads a new area?) It goes down from smooth 60 to 14-15 and stays like that for a second sometimes I even have to move a few steps for it to go up to 60 again.

Is this "normal" or could there be some strange settings problem? (using DSfix)

Setup:
i5 3570k oc@4.3Ghz
Readon 7850 oc to GPU1200 Memory1600
and 16gigs of RAM

I also did what people recommended and dropped the forest pvp and tried some other methods and the result was much more enjoyable, thanks.

zkylon

zkylewd
I get strange framedrops at specific points in the game (I guess when the game loads a new area?) It goes down from smooth 60 to 14-15 and stays like that for a second sometimes I even have to move a few steps for it to go up to 60 again.

Is this "normal" or could there be some strange settings problem? (using DSfix)

Setup:
i5 3570k oc@4.3Ghz
Readon 7850 oc to GPU1200 Memory1600
and 16gigs of RAM

I also did what people recommended and dropped the forest pvp and tried some other methods and the result was much more enjoyable, thanks.
I think it's normal. I've gotten similar significant drops in places like the Chasm of the Abyss, The Duke's Archives, some parts of Blighttown etc. Usually I just have to look away of that single spot that's messing up my framerate and it's all good.

Anyone know why my connection to GFWL p2p is garbage? Is there anything I can do?

I keep getting "summon failed" and "failed to invade" and even when I wait around to get invaded, I only get the white fog blocking boundaries, but after like 30-45 seconds, it disappears, like whoever tried to invaded, couldn't.

3 different characters all experience this:
One really low level, in Darkwraith, like 40. (Invading up)
Another, 140ish I think, in Darkblade. (Invading Down)
Last in the forest, mid 50's.

I also play Xbox, so I'm familiar with the ports. My ports are open, forwarded, have no NAT problems. So why is this happening? Is there anything else I can do?

Also, where is the best place to find PVP these days? The arena is dead, I've never even found a match there. I've been trying my luck in Dark Anor Londo, and the first bonfire after Artorias fight.

EasyMode

Anyone know why my connection to GFWL p2p is garbage? Is there anything I can do?

I keep getting "summon failed" and "failed to invade" and even when I wait around to get invaded, I only get the white fog blocking boundaries, but after like 30-45 seconds, it disappears, like whoever tried to invaded, couldn't.

I also play Xbox, so I'm familiar with the ports. My ports are open, forwarded, have no NAT problems. So why is this happening? Is there anything else I can do?

That's pretty much the situation for most players with this port. If GFWL says your NAT is open and UPnP is in use, then that's all you can do. My experience with the PS3 version wasn't great either, but "failed to summon" is like a 9 out of 10 occurrence on the PC version.

I guess we just keep our fingers crossed that From can improve it somehow. But I wouldn't get my hopes up, I don't think they've even acknowledged the port since release.

P2P blows.

RedSwirl

Well 30 fps with occasional dips in some areas sounds realistic, like Crinn said. Did you jump on that Amazon deal?

So basically console version performance at a higher resolution? I'm asking because I already own the Xbox version and am thinking of trading it in after getting this. The Amazon deal hasn't started yet but I'm thinking about it based on this. I might be able to get a new computer this year but I still don't really know.

EasyMode

It's really hard to say how it might perform without trying, I'm just being conservative. While you decide, keep in mind that the online is pretty broken on PC. "Failed to Summon/Invade" x infinity.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Maybe someone could help me out with this here..

So I've been playing DS with the Xbox 360 controller so far. Today I plugged in a random USB controller, checked it works, went into DS to see that it works. 360 controller is still plugged in during all of this.

Now the game doesn't recognize the 360 controller (except the "live" button, wat) while the other controller is plugged in. Every other game I have recognizes both controllers. If I unplug the cheap one, it recognizes the 360 controller again.

I'd really like to have both controllers always plugged in and have DS always recognize the 360 controller (I don't care if it doesn't recognize the other one).. any way to do this?

I messed with this for way too long and just gave up. For some bizarre reason this game really prefers the cheap throwaway USB controller over an official 360 one. Help please (please)

Whichever is the "first" controller is the only one that Dark Souls will recognize. I had this issue when I hooked up my Wiimote, it stopped recognizing my 360 pad.

So basically console version performance at a higher resolution? I'm asking because I already own the Xbox version and am thinking of trading it in after getting this. The Amazon deal hasn't started yet but I'm thinking about it based on this. I might be able to get a new computer this year but I still don't really know.

higher resolution, worse online. it's pretty hard to recommend the pc version if you already have the 360 version imo, if you're playing at 1400x900 you'll have black bars on the pc version and the resolution bump won't even be that noticeable.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

If you keep the game at console resolution, you could easily squeeze 60fps out of it on average.

I think you'd probably be able to bump the resolution up pretty significantly and stick to 30fps as well.

This matchmaking algorithm is fucking terrible. I've had 4 matches in 3 hours. It really necessitates you have something else to do in the downtime; I've been doing lab reports while I wait the eternity needed to find a game

RedSwirl

higher resolution, worse online. it's pretty hard to recommend the pc version if you already have the 360 version imo, if you're playing at 1400x900 you'll have black bars on the pc version and the resolution bump won't even be that noticeable.

Well if everything goes right I'll be upgrading to a new computer later this year which should be able to run the game much better. Right now I'm just wondering whether to get the game on the current Amazon sale or on the eventual Steam sale.

elohel

ill try posting this question here

I can't seem to access the new dlc area I'm in the archives and I can't get the item to drop....is it because I've already finished dukes archives? I'm on my second play through and was at four kings before getting the dlc

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
You need to have freed Dusk of Oolacile. If you killed the Hydra in Darkroot Basin, go all the way to the back of the lake and kill the gold golem there.

Well if everything goes right I'll be upgrading to a new computer later this year which should be able to run the game much better. Right now I'm just wondering whether to get the game on the current Amazon sale or on the eventual Steam sale.

hmm, if you can grab the pc version for $20 now then it's probably worth it given that the dlc is $15 anyway. I dunno, I'm pretty down on the online sitch right now though, and on pc it will keep getting worse while at least on 360 there are a lot of people just starting the new content.

Loginius

I dont know how the console Version performs in this regard but I never had problems finding (or joining) a pvp or coop match.
When I want to fight I lay down the sign in a high traffic area and have tow wait 1m tops and then we go at it.

Only had 1 summoning fail and that was for a coop battle against a boss.

Talking about coop I just managed to mess up and get oneshot as a phantom in the battle against O&S just as we finished them :D
Got the "you are defeated" message and the "victory achieved" right afterwards then the "returning" one and still got the souls and medal without loosing anything :D
(do you loose something when you get defeated as a coop partner? Never happened to me until now and this time it might have been just luck)

So anyone here uses crossbows as a main weapon? Or bows, for that matter?

Is that even possible?

I tried it briefly, a +14 Heavy, and it was pretty damn effective. I was thinking of +15'ing it to really see it shine, but saved the slab. Now, I do plan on trying a build that utilizes a fully upgraded heavy one day.

DLC boss dies to crossbow:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KshbQqVRY5M

And yeah, you can 1-hand it and use a shield at range. Not the best damage per hit, but I think the actual DPS is higher than a lot of other weapons, mainly because you can take range, and get in hits when you would normally have to dodge or block.

RedSwirl

hmm, if you can grab the pc version for $20 now then it's probably worth it given that the dlc is $15 anyway. I dunno, I'm pretty down on the online sitch right now though, and on pc it will keep getting worse while at least on 360 there are a lot of people just starting the new content.

Are you talking about online matchmaking or just in general? I'm not really one for the intentional matchmaking. Are you talking about the hints/invasiions and other passive single player stuff? Through the entirety of Demon's Souls I never invaded or did co-op.

So anyone here uses crossbows as a main weapon? Or bows, for that matter?

Is that even possible?
I've played with a bow as my main weapon for one build. Huge fan of bows in the game and it is very possible and a lot of fun if you like sniping, poisoning etc. I didn't complete the game, and I'd have some back-up weapon that keeps in with the 'role play' of archer, like a dagger or something.

Crossbows not so much, you want the Avelyn really, but it makes the game so easy.

OMG, FROM SOFTWARE, what is wrong with you??

So is the
4 kings an optional boss?
Im thinking that no one ever on earth has found him without looking up what to do on that tower, I thought it was just a joke where you get trapped or something.

I died like 4 times in that tower before I looked up what the hell was going on there.

So is the
Im thinking that no one ever on earth has found him without looking up what to do on that tower, I thought it was just a joke where you get trapped or something.

I died like 4 times in that tower before I looked up what the hell was going on there.

I believe Ingward in New Londo mentions something about the 4 Kings and the Abyss, as well as telling you to seek out Artorias to learn how to traverse it. Andre sells an item called the "Crest of Artorias", so that could be a way to go.

Overall, I sort of liked the hinting at what to do, rather than outright telling the player. Figuring it out was part of the challenge.

The avelyn sucks though, the damage is too piddly and you can't even aim them...
Upgraded it's pretty good and crossbows aren't long range weapons like bows, they're mid-range meant for lock on - but like bows you can still "aim" them on the fly long range if you like. Just for fun I often kill the first Titanite Demon in Sen's with a bow from second bridge (the one before the first chest). I'm sure you could do it with a cross bow too, just point the camera roughly towards your target and fire.

This kind of non-lock on method is pretty fun, killing the Capra Demon with dung pies from outside the fog gate is my new hobby.

zkylon

zkylewd
I was thinking of using the sniper crossbow. I have a +14 Black Bow of Pharis in NG++ as my second weapon and it packs quite a punch but still can't imagine playing the whole game with it.

So is the

I just found a sign that said "need ring" and just checked all my rings to see what to do.

And unfortunately no, they're not optional.

I've been thinking about doing a crossbow only play-through now that were talking about it.

Aside from the first boss, I think it's entirely possible.

I think it'd be fun to kite like madd.

I use a bow quite a lot actually, it's brilliant for cheesing enemies you can't be bothered fighting since you can actually sometimes fill them with arrows without them even aggroing.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Personally I do not like crossbows because of the restrictive range. However, I have taken out Smough and Ornstein with Fire Arrows & the Black Bow of Pharis many times. I find it less risky than melee, especially when you have a phantom to distract for you. Playing cat-and-mouse with aggro is especially fun as you can lock Super Snorlar/Super Pikachu into a pattern preventing them from attacking you.

This is probably the best place to post this:

I beat Manus but died with the last slash and was taken back to the Bonfire. Now I can't go back down because there is no elevator. Am I fucked? What's down there?

EasyMode

This is probably the best place to post this:

I beat Manus but died with the last slash and was taken back to the Bonfire. Now I can't go back down because there is no elevator. Am I fucked? What's down there?

That's interesting, I've never tried to go back down there after killing him. Are you not able to drop down?

In any case, you're good as long as you got his soul. All that's down there is
Dusk who lays there and doesn't say anything, and a bonfire to warp out. She has a few more lines now if you summon her back at Darkroot Basin.

Top Bottom