• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

NBtoaster

This is probably the best place to post this:

I beat Manus but died with the last slash and was taken back to the Bonfire. Now I can't go back down because there is no elevator. Am I fucked? What's down there?

Think you can just drop down, that's what summons have to do anyway.

Phew it worked, thanks guys. I thought I was gonna die for sure, the prism stones were not happy.

Yes, got the items. But it seems
Dusk is not lying there

2AdEPT

Phew it worked, thanks guys. I thought I was gonna die for sure, the prism stones were not happy.

Yes, got the items. But it seems
Dusk is not lying there
did you actually do the level? The elevator was a shortcut for me only after I entered from the bonfire labeled "oolacile dungeon"....I couldn't even access the elevator until after I did the level legit. If you missed baby SIF you missed a lot imo.
The avelyn sucks though, the damage is too piddly and you can't even aim them...
LIghtning +5 with Lightning bolts is the way to go for this weapon...constly but effective on most enemies, although Ornstein and MANus seem to be resilient to lightning where most enemies get fired to a crisp.
Crossbows should be easy, especially with a shield. Would be rather tedious, however.

Ditto for bows.

The light crossbow with a combo of heavy and lightning bolts is a must for early game SL1 pyro runs....you can cheese the mushroom daddy's to get more pine resin wearing dusk ring, red tearstone or bellowing dragon crest depending on when you use up your pyro...switch to red tearstone to get the bolts maximized for clean-up.

The heavy crossbow can be two handed IIRC but I think it becomes too unwieldy....this is because of the stamina cost, not the two handing. I have zero problem with bows and crossbows outside of SL one runs...once you get used to two handing and swithching back to shield quickly with triangle or "B" or whatever, it is jsut like anything...practice makes perfect.

did you actually do the level? The elevator was a shortcut for me only after I entered from the bonfire labeled "oolacile dungeon"....I couldn't even access the elevator until after I did the level legit. If you missed baby SIF you missed a lot imo.

LIghtning +5 with Lightning bolts is the way to go for this weapon...constly but effective on most enemies, although Ornstein and MANus seem to be resilient to lightning where most enemies get fired to a crisp.

The light crossbow with a combo of heavy and lightning bolts is a must for early game SL1 pyro runs....you can cheese the mushroom daddy's to get more pine resin wearing dusk ring, red tearstone or bellowing dragon crest depending on when you use up your pyro...switch to red tearstone to get the bolts maximized for clean-up.

The heavy crossbow can be two handed IIRC but I think it becomes too unwieldy....this is because of the stamina cost, not the two handing. I have zero problem with bows and crossbows outside of SL one runs...once you get used to two handing and swithching back to shield quickly with triangle or "B" or whatever, it is jsut like anything...practice makes perfect.

Wut? What does this do? Is there a point? Does it actually gain a bonus from 2-handing it?

So I just beat Anor Londo, and killed Sif.

I've been using a Lightning Spear and Iaito +10

Would it be wise at this point in the game to modify the Iaito into a Lightning Iaito, or should I take it up to +15?

Yes, I did the level. Sorry, I was mistaken, there is no elevator to the boss. Just seemed that way in the pre-boss cutscene.

zkylon

zkylewd
So I just beat Anor Londo, and killed Sif.

I've been using a Lightning Spear and Iaito +10

Would it be wise at this point in the game to modify the Iaito into a Lightning Iaito, or should I take it up to +15?
If you're planning on taking your dex all the way to 40+ just do a +15. If not, maybe even waiting to get the embers to make chaos or fire weapons might be a good idea.

Also, Iaito > Uchi for life!

willooi

Someone Gravelorded me in the DLC area last night, making the Chasm of the Abyss a complete nightmare.

You know that mutated prisoner in chains who does a lot of damage to your stamina and health? Imagine about 8 of them, black phantom versions, waiting for you down there in the darkness on the way to Manus, where they kill you in one hit regardless of whether you block or not.

Really, really thought my game was well and truly screwed as I couldn't find the guy's sign, but luckily beating the boss again seemed to get rid of them.

2AdEPT

Thought I made a perfect level 100 dex character but then I realise I just need 2 more int to use all of Dusk's fun spells :(

ALways start as a sorcerer...even if you itend to go no further than 16 int for the dusk stuff its worth it early game......sorcerer only costs you 8 resistance...the lowest possible.

Wut? What does this do? Is there a point? Does it actually gain a bonus from 2-handing it?

YOu are forced to as your strength requirement won't allow you to wield it one hadnded at SL1. IIRC there are no major bonuses with two handing crossbows.

Yes, I did the level. Sorry, I was mistaken, there is no elevator to the boss. Just seemed that way in the pre-boss cutscene.

Well there is an elevator in the area....right next to where you hopefully found baby SIF and the
greatsheild of artorias
......and you can use the township bonfire for the trek vs. the dungeon one in that case...but you can't take phantoms with you then.

2AdEPT

or just avoid that whole mess entirely and go up the stairs instead. if you come from the other side it's far easier to pull them one by one using a bow, then kite them into the alcove you used to enter so they get "stuck" temporarily because of the recessed floor, giving you enough time to administer a one-two punch.
[/QUOTE]

Take it one step further.....use bows one at atime or for fun aggrto all of them by doing a run through and then beating it up the ladder...then just throw pyro or lightning down on them as they turn and scrape below....painless and usually gets you a bonewhelel shield to boot!

When you make a weapon elemental - it loses it's stat bonus. So if your character was a dex build, you wouldn't get any bonus from your dex level. The damage on an elemental weapon is split between physical damage and lightning/fire. So if you face an enemy that is resistant to lightning, your lightning Iaito won't do as much damage as a +15, where all the damage is physical. Also you can't buff elemental weapons.

Generally, it's said elemental is better earlier on, when your stats are lower so the stat bonus won't be so much, but later on +15 is the way to go.

As always, the choice is yours!

Durante

A short story.
2012-10-24_00004sqxww.jpg

2012-10-26_00018whyw9.jpg

2012-10-26_000042lzcw.jpg

Is there anything better than making the guilty pay the price?

Well... maybe:
(It's always nice to get messages like that, whether it be after jolly co-operation or PVP)

EasyMode

I'd imagine you get quite a few of those messages.

Out of curiosity Durante, how's your experience with the game online? Are you running into the "Failed to summon/invade" a lot?

Beat the game like a week ago and was planning to play some games from my backlog.. but all I want to do is start another character and play Souls again.

This fucking game.

Durante

Out of curiosity Durante, how's your experience with the game online? Are you running into the "Failed to summon/invade" a lot?
It was bad in the beginning, when I didn't really understand the system. Now it's better, but still not painless. It usually takes 5-15 minutes to initiate co-op with a specific person -- the good thing is that once you do it works instantly for the rest of the session. Invasions are similar, but with the added difficulty of needing to know what spot has a good level range of targets. Yesterday I probably did ~20 successful vengeance invasions in 2 hours, and was invaded ~5 times over the same period.

Duo014

Starting my 4th playthrough.

I just bought the DLC,i am hyped, starting with a faith Dex character.
First was a Noob playthrough, upgrading all stats... Being super slow
Second was a Wizard NG+++
Third was à complete dragon. Called tiamat

A friend is offering to sell me his sealed boxed UK copy for PC of this as he hasn't gotten around to it and he'd prefer to get the DLC on his PS3. I'm in the US and have US Steam and Live accounts. There won't be any trouble redeeming his copy will there? I assume not but with how much negative stuff I've heard of GFWL it's better safe than sorry.

ElFly

Continuing to experiment with Dark Souls image quality, I decided to render some shots at 3240p (9x as many pixels as 1080p).

Album:http://minus.com/mOjmcxDmeqA9A

Here's an example shot.

And just as an interesting note, I rendered the image at both console resolution, and 3240p to compare the details lost when rendering at the default resolution.

I recommend you open them both in different tabs, zoom in, and switch tabs to look at the differences.

1024x720: http://i.minus.com/iba5FZ29ZqDRdz.png

5760x3240: http://i.minus.com/iDTrnY5MXY4tt.png

At default res, you can't notice the etching in the chest plate at all, and the skirt at the bottom looks like it's cloth while at high res you can see that it's actually chain mail. There's a ton of detail in the sword as well that's completely hidden. This game can really look quite stunning.

Ok this been eating me for a while.

The console version does NOT look like your 1024x768 shot.

I don't know what you are doing wrong but on PS3 it does show the chain mail

http://i.imgur.com/OtsFO.jpg

It def. does not just load a blurry texture. Something is wrong with your computer.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Ok this been eating me for a while.

The console version does NOT look like your 1024x768 shot.

I don't know what you are doing wrong but on PS3 it does show the chain mail

http://i.imgur.com/OtsFO.jpg

It def. does not just load a blurry texture. Something is wrong with your computer.

I figured out eventually that it's the angle. There's no Ansiotropic Filtering in the console rendered picture, so if the image is taken at an angle much different than dead on, then the texture looks really ugly.

I don't know for sure whether the consoles version have Ansiotropic filtering on or not, but I figured it was a safe assumption that they wouldn't.

Forkball

Pure stroke of luck that I managed to get to the second bonfire in Tomb of the Giants. I can warp from here, right? I saw it from a distance and it took me a few tries of running like a coward to finally find it without a bunch of skeletons aggroing me. I might want to do some other stuff or get other items.

Also you better believe I killed that dude who kicked me into a hole. I said I'd spare him at first, but then changed my mind after he gave me some humanity. I managed to get about six total humanity from him, so completely worth it if you ask me.

Any tips or advice for what's coming up. I assume the boss is pretty close.

ElFly

I figured out eventually that it's the angle. There's no Ansiotropic Filtering in the console rendered picture, so if the image is taken at an angle much different than dead on, then the texture looks really ugly.

I don't know for sure whether the consoles version have Ansiotropic filtering on or not, but I figured it was a safe assumption that they wouldn't.

The angle def. has something to do with it, but even when taking that in consideration I got this.

http://i.imgur.com/0yZzG.jpg

Which still has more detail than your picture (and probably is at a more inclined angle, and was taken with a shitty tablet camera).

Don't know what kind of texture filtering the console versions have, though.

cm osi

Pure stroke of luck that I managed to get to the second bonfire in Tomb of the Giants. I can warp from here, right? I saw it from a distance and it took me a few tries of running like a coward to finally find it without a bunch of skeletons aggroing me. I might want to do some other stuff or get other items.

Also you better believe I killed that dude who kicked me into a hole. I said I'd spare him at first, but then changed my mind after he gave me some humanity. I managed to get about six total humanity from him, so completely worth it if you ask me.

yup patches never learn and deserve to die.

Demon's Soul Spoiler
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=JGbI69Un-m8#t=743s
you can get a gesture from him (before you kill him) and he drops a unique weapon anyway, so it's worth it

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

Like all bonfires you can warp away from it, but that one in particular you can't warp back to. You have to warp to the first bonfire in TotG

upandaway

Question please!

After the spider queen lady, there's a hidden passage and inside there's an egg person, a bonfire and a convenant thing.
My first reaction was to freak out and kill the egg person who then started speaking.. so... what exactly did I do? Is it bad? I didn't even let it say anything before I attacked it.

Also, if I leave a covenant and then come back to it, do I lose the progress I made by giving her humanities?

EasyMode

Question please!

After the spider queen lady, there's a hidden passage and inside there's an egg person, a bonfire and a convenant thing.
My first reaction was to freak out and kill the egg person who then started speaking.. so... what exactly did I do? Is it bad? I didn't even let it say anything before I attacked it.

Also, if I leave a covenant and then come back to it, do I lose the progress I made by giving her humanities?

The egg dude is actually a pyromancy trainer who has a few unique pyro spells, but it's not the end of the world. The next time you see Laurentis (the first pyro trainer) he'll probably ask you about your new spells. Be sure to answer NO or he'll leave forever.

Yes, you lose your progress when you leave a covenant.

upandaway

Ugh I just killed all the bull demons by drawing them to me one by one. Took forever and there's only one item behind them I could've rushed. Dangit!

The egg dude is actually a pyromancy trainer who has a few unique pyro spells, but it's not the end of the world. The next time you see Laurentis (the first pyro trainer) he'll probably ask you about your new spells. Be sure to answer NO or he'll leave forever.

Yes, you lose your progress when you leave a covenant.
I did get a new spell when I entered the covenant (it's amazing), but man that kinda sucks. I love pyromancy.

Thanks

cm osi

Ugh I just killed all the bull demons by drawing them to me one by one. Took forever and there's only one item behind them I could've rushed. Dangit!

I did get a new spell when I entered the covenant (it's amazing), but man that kinda sucks. I love pyromancy.

Thanks

eingyi had 2 spell, poison mist and the toxic mist. you can get poison mist from a corpse in the swamp area of blighttown
toxic mist, wich is way better can only be purchased from eingy :/

upandaway

eingyi had 2 spell, poison mist and the toxic mist. you can get poison mist from a corpse in the swamp area of blighttown
toxic mist, wich is way better can only be purchased from eingy :/
Oh alright then, I don't really like the mist anyway.

Anyway, aside from wanting to destroy my computer, I don't know where to go now.. the door in Demon Ruins is blocked to me (what the hell!). I really don't have the strength to do something I'll regret later, so can anyone please point me in a good direction to go to :(

(edit: also I see signs all over the place about needing humanity, is there an NPC invader I need to kill here? if so should I go for it?)

EasyMode

Anyway, aside from wanting to destroy my computer, I don't know where to go now.. the door in Demon Ruins is blocked to me (what the hell!). I really don't have the strength to do something I'll regret later, so can anyone please point me in a good direction to go to :(

(edit: also I see signs all over the place about needing humanity, is there an NPC invader I need to kill here? if so should I go for it?)

You've rung both bells? Then it's time to go to Sen's Fortress. The door by blacksmith Andre's bonfire takes you there.

Forkball

PROTIP FOR PYROMANCY: Do NOT tell Laurentius about the Great Chaos Fireball you got from sick spider girl. It may screw you out of further spells.

Also you should go to Sen's Fortress. Did you see a cutscene where a gate opened after you beat Queelag? It is right next the bonfire near the blacksmith in Undead Burg. Enjoy the traps.

When people put down "Need Humanity" you can rate it up and they will/might get humanity they can use. If you notice these are almost always near bonfires because people need humanity to kindle them.

upandaway

Thanks guys. I remembered the gate but the thing is I didn't find a shortcut in Blighttown, so I was super sure I needed to keep going down. Now that I think about it there's also the entire forest, including the door that needs the crest... hmm.

I'm 90% sure there's a shortcut somewhere... I have one place to check again, so I'll try it out. The most fun I have with the game is finding the shortcuts by myself and suddenly get that "oh man it leads here oh my god!!" feeling

As I know this game, I bet it'll dump me in that darn gosh purple dragon bridge again. If it doesn't, I'll calm down, but I can see it coming from a mile away. Hope I'm not sounding stupid but we'll see.

There isn't really a shortcut in Blighttown - there's a way in from the Depths and another way out (besides the way to the Demon Ruins) - the shortcut is using this other way out to go in, since it cuts out the whole 'town' area between the Depths entrance and getting down to the swamp. A lot of people use this way in with the master key.

There is a secret area you access through Blighttown though.

Loginius

There isn't really a shortcut in Blighttown - there's a way in from the Depths and another way out (besides the way to the Demon Ruins) - the shortcut is using this other way out to go in, since it cuts out the whole 'town' area between the Depths entrance and getting down to the swamp. A lot of people use this way in with the master key.

There is a secret area you access through Blighttown though.

Id call it a shortcut that works in both directions.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm going to do a clean install of Windows 8 on Monday, but I want to make sure I don't lose my Dark Souls save.

Does anyone know exactly how to back the save up in a way that GFWL won't freak out and not recognize it once I've reformatted and am running Windows 8?

EasyMode

So I'm finally playing this again with Artorias stuff on, and--did they ever do anything with the pendant?

Yes!
They changed the description to: "A simple pendant with no effect. Even so, pleasant memories are crucial to survival on arduous journeys."

Unrelated: chillin' in New Londo

Forkball

Fuck it. I can't handle this game any more. I am stuck on Tomb of the Giants. I wasted all my humanity (eight or so) trying to get past Leeroy Jenkins of all people. He either A) knocked me off the fucking cliff with his stupid AOE attack B)I rolled off the cliff myself C) hammered the hell out of me. When I run out of humanity I just try to go for the boss, but have to waste half my damn Estus getting there (oh and the fall right before the boss.... awesome idea). In the boss it's just a skeleton party and I can't do anything because they trap me against a wall and Brazzers me to death. When I managed to hit Nito I did such little damage that I wonder if it was even mathematically possible.

It's just not worth it anymore. I know there is so much left in the game and I can't take all this grueling punishment over and over again. I think Dark Souls is a good game and I had fun playing it, but it's just not worth it for me anymore.

Booshka

Fuck it. I can't handle this game any more. I am stuck on Tomb of the Giants. I wasted all my humanity (eight or so) trying to get past Leeroy Jenkins of all people. He either A) knocked me off the fucking cliff with his stupid AOE attack B)I rolled off the cliff myself C) hammered the hell out of me. When I run out of humanity I just try to go for the boss, but have to waste half my damn Estus getting there (oh and the fall right before the boss.... awesome idea). In the boss it's just a skeleton party and I can't do anything because they trap me against a wall and Brazzers me to death. When I managed to hit Nito I did such little damage that I wonder if it was even mathematically possible.

It's just not worth it anymore. I know there is so much left in the game and I can't take all this grueling punishment over and over again. I think Dark Souls is a good game and I had fun playing it, but it's just not worth it for me anymore.

Instead of wasting your own humanity, put your summon sign down and help others. I tell a lot of people that have hit a wall this, just help other people and get better with no risk.

ArynCrinn

Banned

Not to sound sarcastic or anything, but if Dark Souls' difficulty and design is too much for you...you've had a pretty comfortable gaming life.

Seriously though, try to use no more than 3-5 flasks rushing Nito, and stay where you fall into his lair making him and his skeletons come to you. Of course use Divine weapons to kill skeletons if you can, and Nito is weak to fire.

It sounds like your equipment or SL isn't where it should be for this area/boss. TOTG definitely isn't easy, but I thought Nito was one of the easier bosses in the game. He's super slow so you can take care of the skeletons one by one while kiting him around. If you don't do any damage to him, your weapon might need some upgrading.
Also, armor upgrading becomes super important at that point in the game, IMO.

Top Bottom