• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Well, I just bought this from the Amazon sale. I have a lot of experience with the original version of the game. What was wondering was if there was anything new that I should try out build wise? I was around for the Pyro nerf, has anything else changed or anything entirely different opened up?

I played both Int and Faith builds through to NG+2

zkylon

zkylewd
Fuck it. I can't handle this game any more. I am stuck on Tomb of the Giants. I wasted all my humanity (eight or so) trying to get past Leeroy Jenkins of all people. He either A) knocked me off the fucking cliff with his stupid AOE attack B)I rolled off the cliff myself C) hammered the hell out of me. When I run out of humanity I just try to go for the boss, but have to waste half my damn Estus getting there (oh and the fall right before the boss.... awesome idea). In the boss it's just a skeleton party and I can't do anything because they trap me against a wall and Brazzers me to death. When I managed to hit Nito I did such little damage that I wonder if it was even mathematically possible.

It's just not worth it anymore. I know there is so much left in the game and I can't take all this grueling punishment over and over again. I think Dark Souls is a good game and I had fun playing it, but it's just not worth it for me anymore.
Grueling punishment shouldn't be the experience, so if you feel you're getting no pleasure out of it, I'd say drop it and come back later, maybe in a few months or such.

You're supposed to struggle, but sometimes it's not worth it.

If you're in the mood of overcoming the odds, though, you're not in such a bad spot.
First, if you've had it with Tomb of Giants, you could warp wherever you want and push forward somewhere else. You can also just warp to the Depths and farm the rats there for easy humanity (spend the first 10 on yourself to boost item discovery) and you should have a good stock in like 20 minutes, just put on some music and get to grinding, each run takes less than a minute and you should expect 1-2 per run. You can also take the chance (since your item discovery's 410 thanks to the 10 humanity) to get yourself a Silver Knight weapon in Anor Londo, such as the spear or the sword, whichever you like best. Both of them deal divine damage, which prevents skeletons from rebuilding themselves. You can farm the 5 or 6 Silver Knights near Solaire's bonfire, just before S&O. They give up like 1k souls each, so you should be able to get enough souls to buy a couple Twinkling Titanites off the Giant Blacksmith and use them to upgrade the Silver Knight weapon you got. Or just boost your SL.

Now that you're all prepared, you can warp back to the Tomb of Giants (it'll take you to Patches' bonfire, but just walk to the other one) and give Nito what's coming to him. You can skip most of the skeleton dogs and the two giant skeletons in the way there, so you shouldn't waste too many Estus Flasks. Still not sure? You still got the humanity you used to farm the skeletons (you should!) so kindle that bitch ass bonfire to 20 and laugh at getting hit! And when you get to Nito, just concentrate on the skeletons on the left as they come to you, and then just hold your ground and stay close to him. You can switch back to your main weapon after the skeletons are dead. His attacks are really really slow, so dodging/shielding them should be easy enough. Don't go seeking him out, though, or you'll aggro some more skellies and that'll be bad.

edit: Oh and just estus up as soon as you fall. Most times you'll get away with it and worse case scenario you'll be back to square one after he does his sword from the ground attack thingie.

cm osi

Fuck it. I can't handle this game any more. I am stuck on Tomb of the Giants. I wasted all my humanity (eight or so) trying to get past Leeroy Jenkins of all people. He either A) knocked me off the fucking cliff with his stupid AOE attack B)I rolled off the cliff myself C) hammered the hell out of me. When I run out of humanity I just try to go for the boss, but have to waste half my damn Estus getting there (oh and the fall right before the boss.... awesome idea). In the boss it's just a skeleton party and I can't do anything because they trap me against a wall and Brazzers me to death. When I managed to hit Nito I did such little damage that I wonder if it was even mathematically possible.

It's just not worth it anymore. I know there is so much left in the game and I can't take all this grueling punishment over and over again. I think Dark Souls is a good game and I had fun playing it, but it's just not worth it for me anymore.

lure leeroy back to the ladder area so you can circle around him. you'll want a +10 divine/fire at least so it's better if you upgrade your weapon before the big fight.

if you go back to the depths for humanity you should also kill the slimes (fire weakness) for easy green stones, so you can upgrade to +10 your fire/divine weapon

zkylon

zkylewd
By the way, if anyone's interested, my list of cool mods from the Amazon thread:

zky @other thread said:
Better button prompts: http://darksouls.nexusmods.com/mods/171
Better LOD trees: http://darksouls.nexusmods.com/mods/67
Better Anor Londo skymap: http://darksouls.nexusmods.com/mods/132
Better normal maps for faces: http://darksouls.nexusmods.com/mods/23
Prettier buff icons: http://darksouls.nexusmods.com/mods/8
Better GUI font: http://darksouls.nexusmods.com/mods/21
YOU DEFEATED: http://darksouls.nexusmods.com/mods/31

I haven't gotten around to trying the 60 FPS mod, but in any case here it is: http://darksouls.nexusmods.com/mods/26

Go and do something else then and come back to ToG when you're a little higher levelled or have upgraded your equipment. There's a warp point in ToG now isn't there, so it shouldn't be a big deal to come back.

Leeroy's attacks are pretty slow and easy to see coming so you should be able to at leas straif around him for a backstab when he swings, if not parry - same basic tactics as Havel. Also you see a few summon signs around the second bonfire in ToG, use them :)

I've been thinking about doing a crossbow only play-through now that were talking about it.

Aside from the first boss, I think it's entirely possible.

I think it'd be fun to kite like madd.

We were talking about this earlier this week, on the last page.

Well I did it. I started a casual play-through, and decided to do a SP version of a let's play. I cut out all the fill, and only keep in the important bits, with post-game commentary.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL964jgaL-2u-XMgFTXZi0BsGrvcLa0hjL

Only have episode 1 finished and up now. I will be trying to update the playlist twice a week, oncee mid-week and again on weekends.

Pure crossbow/bow and arrow, hunter playthrough. (All bosses/mini bosses will be taken out by arrows.)

Hope you guys enjoy!

Quoting myself from the Steam thread:

Talking about Dark Souls...

I bought the game very early thanks to the DSfix and the GMG deal. I beat the first boss rather easily, got to that castle, fought the
Taurus Demon
a few times but couldn't beat him because I got impatient. In the meantime other stuff and other games came up, I let it rest for a while and only came back recently just to be stomped by that boss again and return to the same fireplace I've seen about 10 times already. I thought to myself: "Cool, this is Dark Souls, I didn't expect it to be a cakewalk."

Today I started it up again, manned up and beat him like a boss. "Victory Achieved". Then I tried to cross the bridge. Fuck. That. That's so cheap.

I'm sure most know what I'm talking about. Am I missing something? Did I go the wrong path? What is it?

I'm sure most know what I'm talking about. Am I missing something? Did I go the wrong path? What is it?

Everything is fine. It's just Dark Souls.
There's a path below the bridge.
EDIT: I'm not sure how you get there anymore though. Will look it up.

upandaway

Should've known something's gonna happen on that bridge! It just looks so.. inviting.

and don't think you got rid of that bonfire! haha

@ Yian-man,
you still need to go halfway through the bridge

Should've known something's gonna happen on that bridge! It just looks so.. inviting.

and don't think you got rid of that bonfire! haha

@ Yian-man,
you still need to go halfway through the bridge

Really? I though I remembered getting around that somehow. Terrible memory. Oh well, good luck!

But there's already a few skeletons on it. From what I've played every single one of them is about 10x more lethal than any regular video game boss D:

Loginius

But there's already a few skeletons on it. From what I've played every single one of them is about 10x more lethal than any regular video game boss D:
Run about halfway over the bridge, to your right side there should be a stairway that you have go down "fast" before the dragon decides to turn you into a marshmallow.

Down there is a shortcut to a familiar place.

zkylon

zkylewd
Just wait to the dragon to sweep up once, killing all the enemies in the bridge, and then run like crazy (lose the armor if you need to) until half the bridge, and go down the stairs to your right. You'll find a shortcut there.

By the way, it's not really cheap, the idea is to school you into the line of thought of "I'm never safe", which is why they do this kind of things early on. It's also a nod to Demon's Souls players, since Demon's had that same exact situation in the first world as well.

You know what, fuck this game. Fuck this game. Fuck Ornstein, and that other fat cunt fucker. Also, fuck the Giants Tomb most of all. I just lost 30000 souls because some slope was too steep to run back up and got fucked up by dipshit skeletons. Fuck this shit, I've had enough.

cm osi

i can understand your rage, i've had a horrible character who was good at nothing, i just barely managed to finish the game once. then after some month i picked up the game again and with a correct build i did my first run in 1/4 of the time, and better.
never keep a huge amount of souls, especially on the first game where enemies drops less souls. when you have some souls just level up or buy stones for upgrade.
30.000 souls is not a huge deal anyway, you can easily farm souls in darkroot area
for O&S well, you can summon 2 players to help. 3 against 2 shouldn't be too difficult
if you reach ng+ you'll go back and laugh at those 30.000 souls, trust me

zkylon

zkylewd
So....I accidentally killed the first merchant. How detrimental is this?
If you mean the undead guy, very little. Just make sure not to kill other NPCs.

You know what, fuck this game. Fuck this game. Fuck Ornstein, and that other fat cunt fucker. Also, fuck the Giants Tomb most of all. I just lost 30000 souls because some slope was too steep to run back up and got fucked up by dipshit skeletons. Fuck this shit, I've had enough.
30k isn't so bad. Why are you in ToG if you haven't killed S&O yet?

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Yeah I took that. I already bought the repair kit and the bottomless chest. I'm just worried since I don't have a bow or any arrows I guess.

Salsa

just started, played it for 2 hours

still not really.. feeling it, but then again it's early on

is it safe to play at 60fps with the fix? or does it mess with GFWL?

Booshka

Yeah I took that. I already bought the repair kit and the bottomless chest. I'm just worried since I don't have a bow or any arrows I guess.

You can get a bow later on a corpse, or farm for it from undead bow dudes. Arrows are sold by every merchant, so the next one you find, which shouldn't take long, will have em. You bought the valuable stuff, so you are good to go. Forge on.

30k isn't so bad. Why are you in ToG if you haven't killed S&O yet?

I've been killed by them a ton of of times. I just said screw it and went to see what was down the cave in Firelink Shrine. What drives me bonkers is that Ornstein can attack through the other guy.

As for the Tomb of Giants, its not too tough, but I snapped because I beat Pinweel and got over 20k souls, then ventured a little further to see if I could find a bonfire and before I knew it, got stuck fending off 2 giant assholes while arrows rained down on me.

By the way,
No idea why PairOfFilthySocks is failing to register it though, my best guess would be that he's mistyping the code when inputting it on Steam. If all else fails I suppose try to contact Steam support and see if they can sort it out.
I was entering it wrong(ie. not putting in the dashes between codes)

zkylon

zkylewd
just started, played it for 2 hours

still not really.. feeling it, but then again it's early on
I had my "THIS GAME IS AWESOME" moment by the time I got to the Capra Demon. The very beginning is simple but as you start getting lost in some of the more sprawling dungeons and see how everywhere connects with everywhere, I think that's the breaking-point.

I've been killed by them a ton of of times. I just said screw it and went to see what was down the cave in Firelink Shrine. What drives me bonkers is that Ornstein can attack through the other guy.

As for the Tomb of Giants, its not too tough, but I snapped because I beat Pinweel and got over 20k souls, then ventured a little further to see if I could find a bonfire and before I knew it, got stuck fending off 2 giant assholes while arrows rained down on me.
Your priority should be S&O, just keep trying, maybe place your white soapstone so you can help other people and learn their patterns without fear of losing your souls (and getting a ton of them if you manage to help your host kill them). The key, like everything in the game (except maybe 4Ks), is being patient. Wait for the window and attack, don't take unnecessary risks and prepare for the fight, by leveling up, upgrading, getting buffs, doing coop, etc.

Loginius

lol, exact same thing happened to me in my first playthrough =D

On another note... just finished siegmeyers story for the fist time and god was it a pain...
first he wasnt in izahlith because I didnt visit him in blighttown after I went all the way there and back again we went in the pit, killed the vacuum cleaners and with my last swing I hit him and he goes hostile on me...
so I managed to port out and repend for my sins, went back in and somehow managed to talk to him before the venom got his health under 50%.

And what do I get for my pain?
I get to comfort his daughter that killed him while I wasnt covering his ass for a second...

Help please.

I just installed the game, downloaded the Durante-fix, and now I'm scratching my head wondering what to do next.

I'm all thumbs when it comes to editing .ini files.

I just want fullscreen, 1920 x 1080 w/ 32-bit, and an easy button for taking screenshots and toggling the frame-limit.
Currently the game looks like butt.

Quoted for size said:
iOOP5SuWftwmb.jpg

zkylon

zkylewd
lol, exact same thing happened to me in my first playthrough =D

On another note... just finished siegmeyers story for the fist time and god was it a pain...
first he wasnt in izahlith because I didnt visit him in blighttown after I went all the way there and back again we went in the pit, killed the vacuum cleaners and with my last swing I hit him and he goes hostile on me...
so I managed to port out and repend for my sins, went back in and somehow managed to talk to him before the venom got his health under 50%.

And what do I get for my pain?
I get to comfort his daughter that killed him while I wasnt covering his ass for a second...
Yeah like everything in this game it's depressing as fuck...

Help please.

I just installed the game, downloaded the Durante-fix, and now I'm scratching my head wondering what to do next.

I'm all thumbs when it comes to editing .ini files.

I just want fullscreen, 1920 x 1080 w/ 32-bit, and an easy button for taking screenshots and toggling the frame-limit.
Currently the game looks like butt.
Open the ini, look for "renderWidth" and set it to 1920, then look for "renderHeight" and set it to 1080 (both without quotes). There's not much more to it than that.

Open the ini, look for "renderWidth" and set it to 1920, then look for "renderHeight" and set it to 1080 (both without quotes). There's not much more to it than that.

According to the ini everything is already set to those numbers.

Ugh...something is not right here.

EDIT: Did some mucking about and apparently that's about what it is supposed to look like...damn.

Sullichin

According to the ini everything is already set to those numbers.

Ugh...something is not right here.

EDIT: Did some mucking about and apparently that's about what it is supposed to look like...damn.

No it's not. Is the in game resolution set to 1920x1080? Also make sure that the whole contents of the DsFix zip are in your DATA folder, maybe it's in the wrong place

No it's not. Is the in game resolution set to 1920x1080? Also make sure that the whole contents of the DsFix zip are in your DATA folder, maybe it's in the wrong place

In-game resolution is set to 1920x1080 and the DSfix folder is sitting in DATA.

Running 60 FPS. Wow it feels like a revelation after spending 150+ hours on the 360 version.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
So the grey haired guy beneath the bonfire in the Undead Parish is not supposed to be hostile right? I literally just walked down there and he was already trying to fight me. What do?

Looking it up, it's Blacksmith Andrei.

Is there a guide on how to access the new content?

Go to Darkroot Basin (to get there, head into the forest bast Andre the blacksmith and hug the right wall as you head towards the sealed door; you'll find a pathway leading down). At the bottom, you'll find a lake with a hydra in it. Kill the hydra, leave the area, and come back (or just reset the game) and you'll find a golden crystal golem at the far end of the lake. Kill it and you'll rescue Princess Dusk.

Once you have the Lordvessel, go to the Duke's Archives (from Anor Londo), and you'll find a blue crystal golem shortly after the first bonfire. Kill it and you'll get the broken pendant. Take that back to where you rescued Princess Dusk and you'll find the entrance to the DLC area.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I feel like this might not be clear so I'm gonna go ahead and say this.

YOU CAN ALWAYS BUY MORE HUMANITY IF YOU DESPERATELY NEED IT.

The female undead merchant i believe sells it for the cheapest. You're never really stuck without.

Also, you could farm rats which should drop fairly often.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
She has a limit quantity.

But yes there are always options for getting humanity.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I'm the guy who made those GIF's of the game at 120fps shown at half speed, and theres a lot of weapons I'd like to test out, but really I don't want to start entire new games and play for a ton of hours just to get the weapons to get video of them.

I was wondering if anyone knew of a save editor that worked for the PC version of the game so that I could get one of every weapon and see if there would be any that are particularly interesting to see the animations at half speed 60fps.

Can anyone help me out?

By the way, I made some new ones the other day.

ir2TLSciDoQbB.gif

Black Knight Great Sword: http://i.minus.com/i366pgYPocMwv.gif

Jagged Ghost Blade: http://i.minus.com/ibgRk60WfsEF3P.gif

Priscilla's Dagger: http://i.minus.com/inEGnTv0VHJFL.gif

Parrying Dagger: http://i.minus.com/ib2KscqrLHO11o.gif

Ratrat

Go to Darkroot Basin (to get there, head into the forest bast Andre the blacksmith and hug the right wall as you head towards the sealed door; you'll find a pathway leading down). At the bottom, you'll find a lake with a hydra in it. Kill the hydra, leave the area, and come back (or just reset the game) and you'll find a golden crystal golem at the far end of the lake. Kill it and you'll rescue Princess Dusk.

Once you have the Lordvessel, go to the Duke's Archives (from Anor Londo), and you'll find a blue crystal golem shortly after the first bonfire. Kill it and you'll get the broken pendant. Take that back to where you rescued Princess Dusk and you'll find the entrance to the DLC area.
Thanks. It's going to be a pain redoing all that. :(

Loginius

So the grey haired guy beneath the bonfire in the Undead Parish is not supposed to be hostile right? I literally just walked down there and he was already trying to fight me. What do?

Looking it up, it's Blacksmith Andrei.

No he isnt supposed to be hostile.
Try to repent for your sins at the top of the church where you beat the gargoyls (will cost some souls).
He should not be hostile afterwards.
Still strange that he is hostile whithout you doing anything.

so is it safe to play at 60fps or does it break anything?

As far as I know there are still some bugs that can happen.
If you slide down a ladder you can "fall" throught the ground, youre evade roll wont cover the same distance it does at 30fps (slightly less) so some jumps are impossible.
Could be that those have been taken care of in the last update tho.

I started off with a Thief and I've been parrying/backstabbing everything until now (heading to Capra). Thinking about getting a sturdier shield since the the Target Shield leaves me really exposed and maybe a weapon with better range.

How much strength do I need as a dex person? All I've done till now is put points into dex which is currently at 20 and vit/end which are at 13

Also, is taking a weapon to +15 better now?

I started off with a Thief and I've been parrying/backstabbing everything until now (heading to Capra). Thinking about getting a sturdier shield since the the Target Shield leaves me really exposed and maybe a weapon with better range.

How much strength do I need as a dex person? All I've done till now is put points into dex which is currently at 20 and vit/end which are at 13

Also, is taking a weapon to +15 better now?

They nerfed the elemental damage based weapons, lightning and fire. The Normal path, to +15 is the same, but in comparison much more balanced, and as you get your dex/str closer to 30-40ish it really starts to pay off if you have good scaling. Also, you can always use resins. Also, without trying to spoil anything, the new content will be a lot more fair to you if you can do higher physical damage vs elemental based.

Top Bottom