• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Tess3ract

Banned
I'm the guy who made those GIF's of the game at 120fps shown at half speed, and theres a lot of weapons I'd like to test out, but really I don't want to start entire new games and play for a ton of hours just to get the weapons to get video of them.

I was wondering if anyone knew of a save editor that worked for the PC version of the game so that I could get one of every weapon and see if there would be any that are particularly interesting to see the animations at half speed 60fps.

Can anyone help me out?

By the way, I made some new ones the other day.

ir2TLSciDoQbB.gif

Black Knight Great Sword: http://i.minus.com/i366pgYPocMwv.gif

Jagged Ghost Blade: http://i.minus.com/ibgRk60WfsEF3P.gif

Priscilla's Dagger: http://i.minus.com/inEGnTv0VHJFL.gif

Parrying Dagger: http://i.minus.com/ib2KscqrLHO11o.gif
Not a save editor per se, but you can use cheat engine and a spreadsheet that list the values of the items to change anything in your inventory into something else.

So just buy a ton of shitty weapons and change them into moonlight swords, or a bunch of armor and get aritoras' armor or whatever

Sullichin

So there's a divine blessing in a chest in Anor Londo that I know how to get to in the painting guardian room, but it doesn't seem like there's a way back to the top of the room alive. I've never been able to figure this out. Is there a way back out?

EasyMode

That gold tracer gif is hot.

So there's a divine blessing in a chest in Anor Londo that I know how to get to in the painting guardian room, but it doesn't seem like there's a way back to the top of the room alive. I've never been able to figure this out. Is there a way back out?

It's been a while since I've been there, but I think you go down the stairs and drop onto a ledge along the middle wall... I think!

Prezhulio

cross posting from the sale thread, this is probably a more appropriate place to ask:

quick question (though i'm afraid i know the answer)

there's no way to jerry-rig a ps3 save into the pc version, is there? or is there a trainer where i could build a character to what progress i have on my ps3? (30ish hours) very tempted to buy this, but don't really want to redo that time :/

Sullichin

That gold tracer gif is hot.

It's been a while since I've been there, but I think you go down the stairs and drop onto a ledge along the middle wall... I think!
Cool.. I'll check it out next time I'm there. I hate that room. Painting guardians on the rafters are a much bigger pain in the ass than the archers ever are for me.

cross posting from the sale thread, this is probably a more appropriate place to ask:

quick question (though i'm afraid i know the answer)

there's no way to jerry-rig a ps3 save into the pc version, is there? or is there a trainer where i could build a character to what progress i have on my ps3? (30ish hours) very tempted to buy this, but don't really want to redo that time :/
There's trainers and stuff so probably.

If anyone is interested, episode 2 of my hunter play-through is up now! It can be found at:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL964jgaL-2u-XMgFTXZi0BsGrvcLa0hjL&feature=plcp

No fluff, just concentrated gameplay with commentary. I'm just focusing on the highlights of a play-through as a hunter.
Looking forward to you using the crossbow in conjunction with the binoculars, I've never seen that before, I feel a revolution in my DS playthroughs about to happen! :D

Sullichin

Hhahaha, I hate to break it to you, but it's probably not as cool as it sounds!

Lol, just I used crossbow w/ binoculars & a short bow zoomed in for the whole gwyndolin fight. Dark Souls as an FPS. It was quite disorienting (everything was much further away than it seemed) and I died like 15 times.

2AdEPT

We were talking about this earlier this week, on the last page.

Well I did it. I started a casual play-through, and decided to do a SP version of a let's play. I cut out all the fill, and only keep in the important bits, with post-game commentary.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL964jgaL-2u-XMgFTXZi0BsGrvcLa0hjL

Only have episode 1 finished and up now. I will be trying to update the playlist twice a week, oncee mid-week and again on weekends.

Pure crossbow/bow and arrow, hunter playthrough. (All bosses/mini bosses will be taken out by arrows.)

Hope you guys enjoy!

enjoyed as always....i have always been big fan of promoting the back entrance to the garden early but not much support especially from those worried about noob tears....but your video shows just how easy it is to roam around and get what you need without dying too much or shedding any tears when you do.

Curious if you knew that the light crossbow is hidden away in undead burg at the start....I realize it is outclassed quickly by other weapons but thought it would be an early acquisition all the same or did you just snub it in favor of the other weapons?

Sullichin

enjoyed as always....i have always been big fan of promoting the back entrance to the garden early but not much support especially from those worried about noob tears....but your video shows just how easy it is to roam around and get what you need without dying too much or shedding any tears when you do.

Curious if you knew that the light crossbow is hidden away in undead burg at the start....I realize it is outclassed quickly by other weapons but thought it would be an early acquisition all the same or did you just snub it in favor of the other weapons?

Where is the light crossbow? I know it's there somewhere, but an enemy just dropped it so I used that instead.

Also on the subject of crossbows.. I know you know the answer to this: is there any reason to upgrade the heavy crossbow to a lightning heavy crossbow? AFAIK you only want to take the avelyn to lightning, right? I'm using the heavy crossbow + 10 and heavy bolts and its pretty good, saving my extra souls to buy lightning bolts when I eventually get the avelyn.

2AdEPT

Yeah I took that. I already bought the repair kit and the bottomless chest. I'm just worried since I don't have a bow or any arrows I guess.
There are other things that are irreplaceable, like the residence key...not having any of griggs of vinheim's shit is bad if you want to do magic or pyro, and you need the key to save him and have him appear at firelink. Its soooo easy to start over at the beginning that I strongly recommend this to people....that said I have done over 1000 hours of souls and not tired of it....so some may not even want to re-invest the 35 minutes it takes. Re-start as a sorcerer..it makes early game more manageable and leaves you in the best shape possible for later with the useless resistance stat being the lowest of any starting character.
lol, exact same thing happened to me in my first playthrough =D

On another note... just finished siegmeyers story for the fist time and god was it a pain...
first he wasnt in izahlith because I didnt visit him in blighttown after I went all the way there and back again we went in the pit, killed the vacuum cleaners and with my last swing I hit him and he goes hostile on me...
so I managed to port out and repend for my sins, went back in and somehow managed to talk to him before the venom got his health under 50%.

And what do I get for my pain?
I get to comfort his daughter that killed him while I wasnt covering his ass for a second...
I doubt his daughter kills him herself.....she just happens to find him too late....still depressing....for a few minutes then you realize...yeah i got my slab and an extra humanity from killing onion chick is a small but worthwhile bonus!

Where is the light crossbow? I know it's there somewhere, but an enemy just dropped it so I used that instead.

Also on the subject of crossbows.. I know you know the answer to this: is there any reason to upgrade the heavy crossbow to a lightning heavy crossbow? AFAIK you only want to take the avelyn to lightning, right? I'm using the heavy crossbow + 10 and heavy bolts and its pretty good, saving my extra souls to buy lightning bolts when I eventually get the avelyn.
Yeah the light crossbow is either nestled in one of the towers, or iirc is on top of the tower that you can also fall to the lower burg from...that is why I thought it strange that Busta did not mention it as he would have had to pass right by it in order to use the lower burg shortcut....okay its coming back to me now....I believe you have to JUMP from that roof to the next tower over and that's where the light crossbow is....but as you poit out, its an easy early game drop all over the burg and parish so most people do not need to jump over to get it.....the only reasoon I got it is that I had to get all items my first playthrough....Iknew it was there after frustratingly looking in my guide as I could not make the jump. I 've been wanting to do a bows crossbow run for some time...I am always a bow heavy character in elder scrolls....the melee is just not satisfying in that series...so why bother....unlike souls games...but still will be fun to do bows only soon.

Yeah. my info only comes from a poster in the OT4 that said that he tested the +15 avelyn and +5 lightning avelyn and the lightning came out on top..... I believed him but did not test it myself.....for that reason I recommend keeping you r heavy crossbow +15....you can always use lightning bolts with the heavy crossbow for a little extra lightning damage if you feel you want it and there is nothing that says you have to use lightning bolts with your lightning avelyn...if you want to shoot ornstein with it as a phantom helper for example you could load some heavy bolts...but I would use the H cross for that if I had it.....maybe try to get darkmoon bow for orn and use magic or fire arrows? What are you guys doing about darkmoon Bow...with a little faith it outclasses Pharis does it not? Could be wrong...now I feel I have to do this run also now with you guys already ahead!!!!

edit ...yeah after thinkin about it..there really is only one heavy crossbow right ??? so choosing wisely is important....not sure if there were any nerfs for this latest release....could also be a factor as the lightning avelyn stuff comes from the console version. Does Chester drop a crossbow? anything else drop a heavy? I can't think of anything/one else?

The Havel bit was great lol.

Hahahha I know, right? Couldn't have planned that better.

Lol, just I used crossbow w/ binoculars & a short bow zoomed in for the whole gwyndolin fight. Dark Souls as an FPS. It was quite disorienting (everything was much further away than it seemed) and I died like 15 times.

WUT? Dude, I can't believe I didn't think about that. Hahahaha, oh man, that's pretty dope.

Yeah the light crossbow is either nestled in one of the towers, or iirc is on top of the tower that you can also fall to the lower burg from...that is why I thought it strange that Busta did not mention it as he would have had to pass right by it in order to use the lower burg shortcut....okay its coming back to me now....I believe you have to JUMP from that roof to the next tower over and that's where the light crossbow is. 've been wanting to do a bows crossbow run for some time...I am always a bow heavy character in elder scrolls....the melee is just not satisfying in that series...so why bother....unlike souls games...but still will be fun to do bows only soon.

Yeah. my info only comes from a poster in the OT4 that said that he tested the +15 avelyn and +5 lightning avelyn and the lightning came out on top..... I believed him but did not test it myself.....for that reason I recommend keeping you r heavy crossbow +15....you can always use lightning bolts with the heavy crossbow for a little extra lightning damage if you feel you want it and there is nothing that says you have to use lightning bolts with your lightning avelyn...if you want to shoot ornstein with it as a phantom helper for example you could load some heavy bolts...but I would use the H cross for that if I had it.....maybe try to get darkmoon bow for orn and use magic or fire arrows? What are you guys doing about darkmoon Bow...with a little faith it outclasses Pharis does it not?

edit ...yeah after thinkin about it..there really is only one heavy crossbow right ??? so choosing wisely is important....not sure if there were any nerfs for this latest release....could also be a factor as the lightning avelyn stuff comes from the console version. Does Chester drop a crossbow? anything else drop a heavy? I can't think of anything/one else?

1. I forgot about about it. Completely. BUT, also, at the beginning of EP.2, the hollow outside the Tower Knight, at the church, dropped one. I had a clip of it, but cut it, because I thought it was useless. (I get the Heavy in the same episode, and in EP.3 I use the heavy on the Gargoyles)

2. Damage wise, yes, I think It'll scale better in the --> long term <--, but I wanted something I could use earlier, AND I don't like the split damage between magic/physical. I also have dex at 30-ish now. So it's really starting to shine!

2AdEPT

1. I forgot about about it. Completely. BUT, also, at the beginning of EP.2, the hollow outside the Tower Knight, at the church, dropped one. I had a clip of it, but cut it, because I thought it was useless. (I get the Heavy in the same episode, and in EP.3 I use the heavy on the Gargoyles)

2. Damage wise, yes, I think It'll scale better in the --> long term <--, but I wanted something I could use earlier, AND I don't like the split damage between magic/physical. I also have dex at 30-ish now. So it's really starting to shine!

no worries no worries! All good...a bow character needs to use the pharis hat if nothing else and that means using the bow....I always like to split my dex with faith and limit vitality (you like keeping your vitality low as well iirc) ....so that I have more options...for my run I might raise both dex and faith and try to find good situations for both bows!!!

no worries no worries! All good...a bow character needs to use the pharis hat if nothing else and that means using the bow....I always like to split my dex with faith and limit vitality (you like keeping your vitality low as well iirc) ....so that I have more options...for my run I might raise both dex and faith and try to find good situations for both bows!!!

You know what, now that I think about it, if I can afford the points to it later, then sure, I'll grab that Darkmoon Bow. Because, your right, I'm going to have a lot of liquid souls by the time that comes. So why no have a variety of ass kicking Bows?

Also, I forgot to mention, the MAIN reason, of all reasons! The Pharis Bow has a longer effective range, and paired with the range ring, I believe you can do some extra ridiculous snipes! w00t!

Booshka

You know what, now that I think about it, if I can afford the points to it later, then sure, I'll grab that Darkmoon Bow. Because, your right, I'm going to have a lot of liquid souls by the time that comes. So why no have a variety of ass kicking Bows?

Also, I forgot to mention, the MAIN reason, of all reasons! The Pharis Bow has a longer effective range, and paired with the range ring, I believe you can do some extra ridiculous snipes! w00t!

Hawk ring, Black bow and Feather arrows leads to some ridiculous snipes, I use it all the time in my game and as a phantom.

Booshka

That's it, the Hawk Ring. Yes, yes, yes. Hahahhaa, oh man, I can't wait to do some co-op/PVP with this character.

It's unbelievable in PvE, you can snipe from almost anywhere and the enemies are too clueless to even move so you can just pick away at em till they die. I do it in co op and I can tell that players are just confused and amazed when they see me sniping something they can't even see across the level.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
No he isnt supposed to be hostile.
Try to repent for your sins at the top of the church where you beat the gargoyls (will cost some souls).
He should not be hostile afterwards.
Still strange that he is hostile whithout you doing anything.

Ok I did this. Cost me all my souls i earned on the gargoyles unfortunately.

There are other things that are irreplaceable, like the residence key...not having any of griggs of vinheim's shit is bad if you want to do magic or pyro, and you need the key to save him and have him appear at firelink. Its soooo easy to start over at the beginning that I strongly recommend this to people....that said I have done over 1000 hours of souls and not tired of it....so some may not even want to re-invest the 35 minutes it takes. Re-start as a sorcerer..it makes early game more manageable and leaves you in the best shape possible for later with the useless resistance stat being the lowest of any starting character.

I forgot to mention I bought that too. And I did get Griggs unlocked and at the shrine so I think I'm all good now.

Just need to kill this damn Capra Demon.

Okay, finally killed Beavis and Butthead. Looks like the gold fog has cleared. I tried going through the Tomb of Giants, then got stuck being chased by skeleton dogs and bum-rushed all the way to Nito, who promptly destroyed me. Which way should I go now? I'm guessing it's nearly time to try the New Londo Ruins, although I'm still wary of taking on the ghosts.

zkylon

zkylewd
If you're struggling, New Londo is probably not right for you just yet. Demon Ruins->Lost Izalith is the easiest, I think, so it's a good place to start.

Booshka

If you're struggling, New Londo is probably not right for you just yet. Demon Ruins->Lost Izalith is the easiest, I think, so it's a good place to start.

The Ghosts aren't too tough, after that yeah it's a little tough, but it's worth going through to the Ghosts at least.

Cross-posting because I couldn't believe my luck.

attachment

my quest to beat Thin and Fat (ice hockey reference anyone?) continues. I got Thin down to about 30% health with the help of Solaire.

Back to it tonight. I want to clarify something to do with equip weight and the roll.

Is it that anything <= 25% is fast roll. Anything greater than 25 and below 50 is normal roll and 50+ is slow?

I'm super close to 25% with my current load out. Is the switch from fast to normal roll a one or the other thing, or does the roll speed / recovery get slower as you get closer to 50%? Is it digital or analog?

Does my question make sense to you?
;)

ty!

Edit: Another thing. I have a +5 spider shield and a +0 Silver Knight Shield. The Silver Knight shield has more Lightning def, but when I swap between these 2 shields and check my character page I don't see a change in my character's Lightning Def, whereas if I switch my +3 gargoyle helm for a +1 whatever helm, I do see a change in my character lightning resist. Is the character sheet lightning resist only based on armor and not weapons/shields?

Booshka

The Defense stats on a shield pertain to how much of that damage type they resist when you block. Those other stats are affected by your armor mostly, and any rings/weapons and other gear you equip that have buffs.

willooi

Is it that anything <= 25% is fast roll. Anything greater than 25 and below 50 is normal roll and 50+ is slow?

I'm super close to 25% with my current load out. Is the switch from fast to normal roll a one or the other thing, or does the roll speed / recovery get slower as you get closer to 50%? Is it digital or analog?

Digital. I believe you have it spot on with the three different roll speeds at <=25, 25-50, and 50+.

The <=25 roll is a bit difficult to discern from the 25-50 if you ask me, but it's there.

zkylon

zkylewd
Digital. I believe you have it spot on with the three different roll speeds at <=25, 25-50, and 50+.

The <=25 roll is a bit difficult to discern from the 25-50 if you ask me, but it's there.
Yes, exactly. Don't disregard the improvement from normal roll to fast roll, it has like twice as many invincible frames or something.

Salsa

not to sound like a champ but I just beat
the capra demon
and got all the way through the depths and beating
the gaping dragon
without recharging flasks at a bonfire

come at me game

all you really need is patience

Booshka

not to sound like a champ but I just beat
the capra demon
and got all the way through the depths and beating
the gaping dragon
without recharging flasks at a bonfire

come at me game

all you really need is patience

Nice, yea if you play really methodical and careful, you'd be surprised how far you get. Surprised it was the depths though, that place is a maze your first time through. Well played, now on to Blighttown lol. See if the game humbles you there.

Caerith

I just got this yesterday and keep getting invaded by some like level 5 with "kills you instantly" gear. Is there a way to play in offline mode?

zkylon

zkylewd
I just got this yesterday and keep getting invaded by some like level 5 with "kills you instantly" gear. Is there a way to play in offline mode?
Just don't go into human form.

Best of two worlds, you don't get invaded and you can still read silly messages about NPCs' tits.

willooi

@Caerith

Plus: you can always leave summon signs for others while in hollowed form. Sure, your character will look absolutely awful, but it's a great way to learn about new areas/bosses without the risk of losing your souls.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
GOD the game looks incredible with DSFix.

To make the beginning of the game a little different, I started with the Pyro instead of my requisite thief, but I'll be playing him like an assassin (lots of riposte and shiedlessness) who only uses fire as a last resort. Grabbed the master key. Damn the riposte animation is cool for axe.

Anybody know if you can parry with a left hand claw? I might try going Wolverine.

Honestly I wish the game had a blacklist is all.

Yeah,
I've been screwed over by arseholes in the past. Early in the game, at the undead burg, I got invaded by some jerk who completely crushed me. He had what I later discovered to be the Queelag fire sword and Elite armor. I got my butt handed to me. Then, to add insult to injury, I invaded someone's world shortly afterwards, only to discover it was his. The gesture shit when they kill is so bloody infuriating.

Caerith

I hear there are story NPC summons/invasions, and I'd hate to miss those just to avoid invaders.

Demon's Souls also had its share of chickenhawks, and I ended up restarting my SL 60 character in that game and doing a low level run for the Blueblood Sword, which effectively slaughtered chickenhawk SL30 invaders.

Dark Souls though I see people invading at like level 5 with some really OP gear. Is there an effective body form counter? Or is the only solution to play either hollow or offline mode?

koryuken

Yeah,
I've been screwed over by arseholes in the past. Early in the game, at the undead burg, I got invaded by some jerk who completely crushed me. He had what I later discovered to be the Queelag fire sword and Elite armor. I got my butt handed to me. Then, to add insult to injury, I invaded someone's world shortly afterwards, only to discover it was his. The gesture shit when they kill is so bloody infuriating.

I forgot the exact steps, but if you are on XBOX, you can prevent yourself from being matched with the player. Its on the same screen as reporting them for misconduct.

BTW, I transferred all my gear to nine LVL1 characters using the box glitch before the patch hit. So I'm kind of doing the same thing as the guy above, except I am not trying to invade people's games lol. I should have tried the Moonlight Sword INT build way earler....its so fun and VERY VERY powerful. I can tell it will rock in PVP. Fire off the pursuers Spell, send a shock-wave from the Moonlight Sword and run at your opponent swinging...going to feel good man.

zkylon

zkylewd
Crazy equipment invades are the exception rather the rule. You should just play in hollow form for the most part just for common sense, you don't want to risk your body form while exploring new areas, etc. And when you do get invaded, usually it's just normal people, no hackers, no NG+++ crazy SL1 dudes.

Caerith

Depends on the level of the invader. 30 and under is almost always chickenhawks preying on newbs. 30 to 80 is normal players (60 being the median). 90 to 130 is dedicated PvPers. 400+ is wtf are you doing so over leveled.

If you're under level 10 and getting invaded by a guy with the black bow or whatever you're not fighting a normal player.

alichino

DLC Spoilers:

Wow, Manus is probably the toughest boss I've encountered in the game so far. I've got a primary INT secondary DEX build going on at SL75, and he's pretty resistant to almost all of my magic. Even with the Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring on! So I'm trying to re-think my strategy a bit here. My main weapon of choice is a Balder Side Sword +15 with Crystal Magic Weapon added on when I'm not casting, but it's pretty tough to get hits in since he's so aggressive. Do any of you guys out there with INT builds have any tips?

And on a side note, the ability to summon Sif in that battle is SO COOL. Probably my favorite part of the DLC so far. I'm really glad that FROM Software did such a good job expanding the game's lore in the DLC. He's slightly useless in the battle since he can't hold aggro very well, but the extra damage certainly helps.

koryuken

DLC Spoilers:

Wow, Manus is probably the toughest boss I've encountered in the game so far. I've got a primary INT secondary DEX build going on at SL75, and he's pretty resistant to almost all of my magic. Even with the Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring on! So I'm trying to re-think my strategy a bit here. My main weapon of choice is a Balder Side Sword +15 with Crystal Magic Weapon added on when I'm not casting, but it's pretty tough to get hits in since he's so aggressive. Do any of you guys out there with INT builds have any tips?

And on a side note, the ability to summon Sif in that battle is SO COOL. Probably my favorite part of the DLC so far. I'm really glad that FROM Software did such a good job expanding the game's lore in the DLC. He's slightly useless in the battle since he can't hold aggro very well, but the extra damage certainly helps.

Have you tried the Moonlight sword? its one of the best weapons in the game and a must for an INT build.

Top Bottom