• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Wow,
4 kings
didnt give me as much trouble as I thought they would after all the hype I have been reading regarding them, it was a fun fight though, the only annoying thing is the travel to the latest bonfire for sure.

Now im wondering if its a good time to tackle the DLC?, im level 62.

alichino

Have you tried the Moonlight sword? its one of the best weapons in the game and a must for an INT build.

Thanks for the suggestion! I'm going to try that this evening, actually. I have a Moonlight Greatsword +5 chilling in my inventory that I use on occasion, so we'll see how that goes. The R1 attack on it is awesome, but the delay on the R2 attack can be kind of frustrating sometimes. I think a big part of it is getting the openings down for when you can actually attack him without risking getting attacked in return.

alichino

You using crown of dusk to boost spells as well as Dragoncrest ring? They stack.

Also found you need about a 70 stability shield and at least 20 end to be able to block his physical attacks.

I was using the Crown of Dusk for awhile because of how well it stacks with the Dragoncrest ring, but the problem that I ran into is that it also pretty significantly decreases your magic defense as well. I was doing some experimenting with it vs dark magic, and it seems to also reduce your defense to dark magic as well even though the descriptions for those types of spells state that they actually count as physical damage instead. I wonder if this is intentional or just a bug?

But anyways that's good to know about using shields, I'll try upgrading to one with higher stability and see how it goes. Thanks!

UrbanRats

Wow,
4 kings
didnt give me as much trouble as I thought they would after all the hype I have been reading regarding them, it was a fun fight though, the only annoying thing is the travel to the latest bonfire for sure.

Most people have problems with them in NG+, i think.

zkylon

zkylewd
Wow,
4 kings

Yeah it's a good level.

Also, they're at their worse in NG+.

Loginius

Are they really that bad at NG+?
I beat them so fast (in NG+) I actually had to wait for the next one to pop up even though I did them quite early on because I wantet to join the darkwraith.
First time that I beat a DS boss without taking any damage.

Caerith

Are they really that bad at NG+?
I beat them so fast (in NG+) I actually had to wait for the next one to pop up even though I did them quite early on because I wantet to join the darkwraith.
First time that I beat a DS boss without taking any damage.
What was your build?

I'mma start playing Dark Souls on my PC since my PS3 is starting to die. I've been playing Dex/Pyro build using an Iaito+15. I'm thinking about switching it up and trying either a strength build or a str/faith build. How do these builds compare to each other and to the dex/pyro? I'm thinking a 2H strength fatty or a divine/occult claymore with miracles for fun.

EasyMode

I'mma start playing Dark Souls on my PC since my PS3 is starting to die. I've been playing Dex/Pyro build using an Iaito+15. I'm thinking about switching it up and trying either a strength build or a str/faith build. How do these builds compare to each other and to the dex/pyro? I'm thinking a 2H strength fatty or a divine/occult claymore with miracles for fun.

Strength is a fun change from Dex. You hit less frequently but for big damage, especially with buffs. Oh, and more stunlocking too. Straight up Str or Str/Faith starting from a bandit makes sense since that class doesn't waste points on Dex. If you level Faith, you'll have to sacrifice some Vitality, but you'll have more damage output when you buff with Darkmoon Blade (which unfortunately takes some grinding to get).

Rather than Divine/Occult, you'll get better damage with +15 normal weapons. Popular strength weapons: Man-Serpent Greatsword (my fave, good speed), Large Club, Demon's Great Machete/Axe/Hammer. The Claymore has split Str/Dex scaling so it's not ideal for these builds.

I'd recommend playing around with the character planner and maybe checking some saved builds for ideas:

http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/

^ Just keep in mind that the calc doesn't have the correct/current values for fire/lightning weapons. They're weaker now.

Loginius

What was your build?

Uh, I dont remember exactly but I think I had streght at 40 dex at ~30ish int at ~20 endurance at 40 and the rest pretty much at the base stat that wanderer get.

Also I used the washing pole at +15 which I enchanted with great magic weapon and the grass-shield.

I really dont remember the rest of my gear, beatrix robe and parts of the red and black robe I guess.

Two handed my sword, evaded the occasional sword slash and got em down really quick and without getting hit once.

naib

I'm about to bite on the Amazon deal myself. I have it for the PS3 but it freezes randomly.
Demon's Souls runs fine though. Go figure.

Anyway, I'm curious about performance as well. I don't need 60 FPS in Blighttown, but I'd like at least an on par console experience. Edit: w/ Durante's res fix.
I've got a Phenom II X4 965(no O/C) and a 560ti.

Am I set to pop?
please say yes

Caerith

I'm about to bite on the Amazon deal myself. I have it for the PS3 but it freezes randomly.
Demon's Souls runs fine though. Go figure.

Anyway, I'm curious about performance as well. I don't need 60 FPS in Blighttown, but I'd like at least an on par console experience. Edit: w/ Durante's res fix.
I've got a Phenom II X4 965(no O/C) and a 560ti.

Am I set to pop?
please say yes
Should be. I have an i5 2500k (default OC) and a 570, and it runs as smooth as silk. I didn't unlock the frames but my time in Blighttown didn't have any noticeable slowdown.

Also with DSFix and the font mod.

Tess3ract

Banned
That Phenom will run the game like shit compared to the i5 2500k though

I had a phenom II x3 720 @ 3.5 and it would be going 15-30 fps all the time with all the bells and whistles on (and even without)

Upgraded to an i5 3570k @ 4.2 and it's smooth as fucking butter

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Is it possible to get to Quelaan after I said "No" to Eingyi then killed him? I didn't know reloading would get him to ask again. :(

Serra

FUUUUUUU

Doing NG+, Ornstein and Smough, solo. Trying to kill Smough first so I get to fight Super Ornstein and thus get his soul.

8 tries in, finally get Smough down.

Play it very very safe with Super Ornstein. He has just a little sliver of health left, literally 1 pixel wide. I try to rush him like an idiot and get killed by his lighting spear :(

Feels bad.

willooi

Nice article, thanks for posting. But man...oh dear:

When Dark Souls first came out, an answer Miyazaki gave in a Famitsu interview said he'd choose either nothing or a pendant for his starting gift in Dark Souls. The pendant, which has no in-game function, became a focal point for the wilder elements of the community, and the centre of every conspiracy theory going.

I ask Miyazaki whether Manus (a human who goes mad over obsession with a pendant) is a little dig at the series' more obsessive players. “That is a very interesting consideration,” says the devilish fox. “But I suppose I did not include the meaning.” And as for the original pendant speculation, brace yourselves Dark Soulers for Miyazaki's final word: “When it comes to the pendant, I actually had a little bit of an intention to play a prank.”

Dark Spirit Hidetaka Miyazaki has invaded! Now trolling your DS lore!

zkylon

zkylewd
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyA8odjCzZ4

Guys, you have to watch this video. I fucking LOL'ed hard.
I don't get it :/

Wow, quality work from IGN. Like, drawing the parallel between the Dark Souls players' obsession with the pendant and Manus' was pretty deep, and he also got Miyazaki to half-admit he was trolling on the pendant.

That interview was great.

Sullichin

The preformance good for AMD GPU's, in this case an AMD 7870?

I have an i5 2500k and a 7870 and I can get 60fps mostly everywhere with an internal rendering resolution of 2560x1440 or a perfectly locked 30fps. When I first got the game though my GPU would stay in low power mode resulting in terrible fps, but the solution for that is to crank up everything in catalyst control panel to max.

Recorded the Artorias fight with one of my characters.. my attempt before this I was stunlocking him like crazy with the Black Knight Sword 2HR2 attack, but then I mistimed it and he one shot me, so this is a much more cautious fight. I would have used the crossbow a lot more if it wasn't just at +10.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWD15lmPe5k&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyA8odjCzZ4

Guys, you have to watch this video. I fucking LOL'ed hard.

Lol, love the MLG logo

It says "Fire Keeper is absent. Cannot light bonfire" at Firelink shrine. What the fuck is going on? Just lost all my humanity too, I'm pissed.

upandaway

Check her cell/cage, then go to Anor Londo and deliver swift justice!
Wait wait wait, is that the guy who was suddenly attacking me when I went down there? Who was dodging like a player and all?

I didn't even catch who he was because he killed me and back-dodged off a ledge and died. What's going on?

Wait wait wait, is that the guy who was suddenly attacking me when I went down there? Who was dodging like a player and all?

I didn't even catch who he was because he killed me and back-dodged off a ledge and died. What's going on?

woah woah woah. My questions answered first.

Sullichin

Wow what a bitch. I was there before I hit up GAF and she left a bunch of raggedy ass shit. So I have to go to where those weak zombie dudes are and beat her down now?

No, Lautrec (guy in gold armor)
killed her, but you can invade him in Anor Londo (not New Londo which you are describing) and kill him, get the firekeeper soul back, return it to the cage and she will revive.
If you just rung both bells you are a while from getting this bonfire back.

Just go down there man! Maybe you could even answer mine.

Edit: wait, that guy wasn't golden.. guess it's nothing then.

Was it the guy in chainmail armor that's sitting down at firelink shrine? Cause he goes hollow in New Londo and attacks you there. Sounds like it.

upandaway

Just go down there man! Maybe you could even answer mine.

Edit: wait, that guy wasn't golden.. guess it's nothing then. my bad?

edit 2
Was it the guy in chainmail armor that's sitting down at firelink shrine? Cause he goes hollow in New Londo and attacks you there. Sounds like it.
Oh, hmm. That's a bit anticlimactic for him.

Oh well, didn't like him anyway. Jerk.

I said no when asked to join a convent, now I can't get the conversation option back to say yes. In order to do so I need absolution, and I'm at SL61 so it's fairly expensive.

Since I'm going to be going for that, are there other sins I should commit before absolving myself? I don't plan on paying for another round of absolution so I thought I'd ask.

I didn't want to accept right away cause I'm already in a convent and wanted to go back to quit it at
the first bell tower
- Afaik if I had said yes I would have had to absolve the sin of dropping a convent.

lose lose

It's the forest convent.

zkylon

zkylewd
Wow what a bitch. I was there before I hit up GAF and she left a bunch of raggedy ass shit. So I have to go to where those weak zombie dudes are and beat her down now?
Nope, you have to go to Anor Londo. It's past
Sen's Fortress, near where Andre of Astora is

I said no when asked to join a convent, now I can't get the conversation option back to say yes. In order to do so I need absolution, and I'm at SL61 so it's fairly expensive.

Since I'm going to be going for that, are there other sins I should commit before absolving myself? I don't plan on paying for another round of absolution so I thought I'd ask.

I didn't want to accept right away cause I'm already in a convent and wanted to go back to quit it at
the first bell tower
- Afaik if I had said yes I would have had to absolve the sin of dropping a convent.

lose lose

It's the forest convent.
Yeah, same thing happened to me in NG, you're fucked. I mean, just gotta pay Oswald, but htere's no other way.

KingKong

Im replaying it on PC and Im suprised at how good the mouse and keyboard controls are after the mouse fix. The only thing I would love is a 180 turn button

Playing again is amazing, I did what took me like 25 hours the first time in 7

Also I totally forgot how creepy the ceiling slimes and the tomb skeletons are

Is there any way to guard and light attack with the 360 controller triggers? I just want to switch the bumper and trigger functions but don't know if you can do this in-game.

I have an i5 2500k and a 7870 and I can get 60fps mostly everywhere with an internal rendering resolution of 2560x1440 or a perfectly locked 30fps. When I first got the game though my GPU would stay in low power mode resulting in terrible fps, but the solution for that is to crank up everything in catalyst control panel to max.

What should I change in CCC?

Sullichin

What should I change in CCC?

Set it to "overwrite application settings", put all of the AA sliders to max. I did this for both DATA.EXE and DARKSOULS.EXE, not sure if that matters. It won't actually use these AA settings as far as I can tell, but you can enable all of the niceties in DSfix anyway. The game runs far worse without DsFix enabled for me actually!

So I got this on the Amazon sale and have finally sunk some time into it and gotten used to the mouse/keyboard controls. Beat the Taurus demon after several tries.

I know nothing about the Souls games beyond the several hours I've played thus far. Couple questions:

- How often should you be cashing in your souls to level up or buy stuff? I'm paranoid about dying right now since I have ~5000 souls on me but I don't know if buying gear is worthwhile in this type of game or if you get good enough loot from exploring?

- My character is a Wanderer with a shield and scimitar. Does the class matter beyond the initial stat boosts?

- What is a good way to level up (in terms of character build) and how often should you be leveling up?

- For a Wanderer are there certain stats you should be leveling up more than others? I've been focusing on Dexterity, Endurance with a little in strength. Is this the type of game where you can end up with a broken build later on and get stuck?

KingKong

- How often should you be cashing in your souls to level up or buy stuff? I'm paranoid about dying right now since I have ~5000 souls on me but I don't know if buying gear is worthwhile in this type of game or if you get good enough loot from exploring?

- My character is a Wanderer with a shield and scimitar. Does the class matter beyond the initial stat boosts?

- What is a good way to level up (in terms of character build) and how often should you be leveling up?

- For a Wanderer are there certain stats you should be leveling up more than others? I've been focusing on Dexterity, Endurance with a little in strength. Is this the type of game where you can end up with a broken build later on and get stuck?

- Spend your souls as soon as possible since its so easy to lose them. Just save the soul items. You can buy some gear but youll find everything you need just by exploring

- Nope, class doesnt really matter

- The main stats are Vitality and Endurance. Dex is mostly needed if soms weapon has a minimum dex level and its better to level up your weapon than strength. Attunement is also useful if you use spells since it gives you extra slots

You did probably ascend it. Makes it more powerful but it starts at +1 again. Stops at +5.
Ah, ok. That scared the hell out of me. I just went back to the pyro lady in the swamp and it says it's 30,000 souls to get +2. Guess I did that right.

Also, what is a decent all around weapon to upgrade. I'm using the drake since this is my second run, but what's another?

Top Bottom