• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

KingKong

Also, what is a decent all around weapon to upgrade. I'm using the drake since this is my second run, but what's another?

Whatever fits your playstyle, unless you want a boss weapon, you can just take a generic one and upgrade it and make it fire or whatever. If its your second run, try something new like a scythe

Caerith

So I got this on the Amazon sale and have finally sunk some time into it and gotten used to the mouse/keyboard controls. Beat the Taurus demon after several tries.

I know nothing about the Souls games beyond the several hours I've played thus far. Couple questions:

- How often should you be cashing in your souls to level up or buy stuff? I'm paranoid about dying right now since I have ~5000 souls on me but I don't know if buying gear is worthwhile in this type of game or if you get good enough loot from exploring?
Only level up a stat when you need it to meet a requirement. Everything in a Souls game has a trade-off, and Souls games have a strong multiplayer aspect to them. PVP and co-op are both with players closer to your level, and invaders can invade anyone higher level than them-- the higher you go, the more invaders you open yourself to, and if you just dumped souls into levels willy-nilly then you're going to get killed all the time. Go lean and mean-- you can always farm more souls.

- My character is a Wanderer with a shield and scimitar. Does the class matter beyond the initial stat boosts?
Starting class only determines starting stats and starting gear. In the short term, your starting gear determines how easy or hard the game will be between the beginning and the first merchant. In the long term, your starting stats should include as few "wasted" stats as possible-- ie, if you want to go full melee, picking a sorcerer with high intelligence and low strength means you need to spend extra levels getting your strength up while your intelligence stats go to waste since you're not using them.
- What is a good way to level up (in terms of character build) and how often should you be leveling up?
Have a character build in mind and only level up to meet that build. Strength, Dexterity, Intelligence, and Faith should only be leveled as high as you need to equip the gear and spells you want to use, Endurance should be leveled as high as you need to a) have enough Stamina to fight and b) have a high enough equip weight to move at the speed you desire. Stamina is the most important stat in a Souls game, since you use it to run and attack. Only level Vitality as high as you need to have enough HP that you aren't dying in 1-2 hits. Then boost your damage stat as high as you want it to go for your desired level.
- For a Wanderer are there certain stats you should be leveling up more than others? I've been focusing on Dexterity, Endurance with a little in strength. Is this the type of game where you can end up with a broken build later on and get stuck?
You can keep leveling until you have 99 in all stats if you want, but you'll be so high level that it'll be quite lonely.

And, to answer the question you haven't asked:

At the beginning of the game, your first priority should be to level up your weapons instead of your stats. The first real merchant is in the Undead Burg (before the crossbow guy, go right and break some boxes to reveal the stairs)-- he sells pretty much every type of weapon. You can get to your first blacksmith with absolutely no aggro, too. Backtrack to the Firelink Shrine and go down the stairs there, there's an elevator to New Londo Ruins. Head out the elevator, towards the cliff, and there's a stairway down to the water. Halfway down the stairs, there's a blacksmith in a cell. Upgrade your weapon of choice to +5 and you'll get way more out of it than you would out of pumping strength and dexterity.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
I started Wanderer too and I've pretty much only been leveling HP, End, and Dex. I think I'm like 49 now. My Uchigatana is Raw+5 and seems to be working for me with a +4 Spider shield. Just got to Anor Londo.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
That useless pendant? Yeah. Wait, don't tell me that you have to use it for this fight...

Edit: Damn, I just remember reading something about "magic" on the description of that thing. I'm gonna try it.

upandaway

I.. ughhh.. argh.. aaaaaahhhh DAMMIT

She is asking really, really really nicely for me to leave. I don't know.. man... this sucks. I really wanna just go out too... didn't even know I'd get thrown in this silly place when I examined that picture.. I don't wanna go back there again.. I was all ready mentally for a boss fight...

She is being really, really really nice right now. Do I just leave? Do I? Do I?! ughhhhhh choices

By the way I think I went up like 10 levels in that place without even trying, what the hell.

Also this may be surprise some of you, but this game is pretty amazing.

joe2187

Banned
She's an optional boss, and you can leave and come back whenever you want, Painted world is the best for invasions and PVP, so It's best to leave her alive for now and kill her before the endgame.

upandaway

Yeah.. I said screw it and left.

Not sure if I wanna kill her in the endgame like you say though, it feels like even 50k souls and an awesome weapon wouldn't make up for what I'm doing. And it's probably a good place to farm for souls but uh, I already got more than enough souls from there just by going through it normally. Don't wanna ever go back there.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Man fuck bed of chaos and fuck Lost Izaleth. Worst part of the game so far, there's nothing I like about it at all

I just finished this part a couple minutes ago. Chaos Bed was insanely easy now that I have a strong shield that can blow that abomination's attacks.
--------------

I'm still struggling with fucking Manus. I was 4 or 5 attacks close to beating him, but the mofo used the magic attack that comes from behind you and I had no time to use the pendant.

Anteater

Man fuck bed of chaos and fuck Lost Izaleth. Worst part of the game so far, there's nothing I like about it at all

Lost Izaleth isn't really that bad, it was quite straight forward and short but the boss was terrible, overall that part was just boring and badly designed compared to the first half of the game, nothing redeeming about it, one of the shit levels of the game.

KingKong

I just finished this part a couple minutes ago. Chaos Bed was insanely easy now that I have a strong shield that can blow that abomination's attacks.

My last attempt before I beat it, I blocked all the attacks and then rolled down just an inch to the left and fell :<

I'm not a fan of platforming in the game at all, I understand its purpose and why there's no dedicated jump button, and Sens wasn't even that bad, but it's just really unsatisfying compared to everything else and there are so many ways to easily screw it up like jumping instead of rolling or getting knocked by an enemy at just the right angle to fall off an edge

zkylon

zkylewd
Yeah.. I said screw it and left.

Not sure if I wanna kill her in the endgame like you say though, it feels like even 50k souls and an awesome weapon wouldn't make up for what I'm doing. And it's probably a good place to farm for souls but uh, I already got more than enough souls from there just by going through it normally. Don't wanna ever go back there.
Yeah I felt really bad about killing her. The weapon you get from her soul is worth it, but the guilt will follow you forever T_T

SteeloDMZ

Banned
BTW, I also finished the Solaire quest, which was awesome as fuck (he went batshit insane and attacked me on that corridor in Lost Izalith). I'm reading a wiki on Solaire now and it blows my mind that there are other outcomes. It blows my mind even more how ridiculously obscure and obtuse are the requirements. I love it.

upandaway

Does anyone know how good/bad the Demon's Spear is?

I really dig it, but it looks like it'll be a mess to upgrade it. Does the element make up for the low strength/param bonus?
Are there better Demon weapons to use those special titanites on?

geez. anor londo feels like a dead zone. I can't get anyone to summon me at lvl 42 and I'm a sun bro. It seems pretty light. I dont even see ghosts running around. My NAT is open and UPnP is on and in use. Anyone else notice low populations?

Dresden

Does anyone know how good/bad the Demon's Spear is?

I really dig it, but it looks like it'll be a mess to upgrade it. Does the element make up for the low strength/param bonus?
Are there better Demon weapons to use those special titanites on?

The Demon's Spear is good mainly for it's huuuuuuge reach. That is, for pvp especially on the offhand to get pokes in. Damage-wise it's pretty weak.

I'd hold onto those demon titanites, but remember that if you want to upgrade and use the titanites, there's a demon later in the game you can farm them from.

KingKong

Geez, the DLC is difficult :I

I gotta upgrade my stuff more, I've been using the Elite Knight Set and a lighting katana, do you think that's good enough if I max them out?

upandaway

The Demon's Spear is good mainly for it's huuuuuuge reach. That is, for pvp especially on the offhand to get pokes in. Damage-wise it's pretty weak.

I'd hold onto those demon titanites, but remember that if you want to upgrade and use the titanites, there's a demon later in the game you can farm them from.
Hmm.. guess I'll keep on going with the normal spear for now.
Though to be fair I don't really care about damage at all right now. I'm already killing those giant dudes in Anor Londo in a couple of hits, and I barely ever even use a weapon during boss fights thanks to pyromancy.

Is it a stupid idea to try going for a set of spears that I can pick and choose from based on the situation? The "Monster Hunter Approach", if you will.

Akito

Geez, the DLC is difficult :I

I gotta upgrade my stuff more, I've been using the Elite Knight Set and a lighting katana, do you think that's good enough if I max them out?
Yeah, I would think so, the Elite Knight Set is one of the best armor sets (and on top of that it looks fucking amazing) and even after the elemental upgrade paths were nerfed by the newest patch, a +5 elemental weapon should be totally fine for NG.

Hmm.. guess I'll keep on going with the normal spear for now.
Though to be fair I don't really care about damage at all right now. I'm already killing those giant dudes in Anor Londo in a couple of hits, and I barely ever even use a weapon during boss fights thanks to pyromancy.

Is it a stupid idea to try going for a set of spears that I can pick and choose from based on the situation? The "Monster Hunter Approach", if you will.
Not really since spears are ones of the easiest to use weapons in the game, just guard then poke-poke-poke, rinse and repeat. After playing with other weapon classes, I find spears to be very boring to use, just like sorcery (my first character was a sorcerer with a Lightning Spear and Moonlight Butterfly Horn lol). But you should use what you're comfortable with I guess.

Just defeated the
three-masked caster
in the catacombs. I used like 6 fireballs and that was it. Dude's energy could barely keep up with the flames being tossed. Now I'm hollowed and all souls well spent, so I've decided to go running around and jump off all the random spots where messages have stated to do so. This is actually fun when you don't have a shit load of souls and humanity riding on the line lol. I still have to go deal with that damned centipede soon...

Question. I want to kill the firekeeper in Londo, but will it cause any sort of trouble outside of me not being able to use that bonfire anymore.

Akito

Question. I want to kill the firekeeper in Londo, but will it cause any sort of trouble outside of me not being able to use that bonfire anymore.
Not that I'm aware of, she's the only fire keeper I can actually bring myself to kill, Quelaag's sister or Anastasia are just too much ;_;

Love it.

I always try and stunlock Queelag when co-oping so the other two guys can just get in and melee.

Thanks man! I appreciate it!

Yeah, the stun lock, once you figure out her weakness by (ab)using it, is pretty OP. Hahaha, if there were 2 archers alternating, I wonder if you can perma-stunlock her?

Not that I'm aware of, she's the only fire keeper I can actually bring myself to kill, Quelaag's sister or Anastasia are just too much ;_;

I wouldn't kill Anastasia for any amount of souls. I'm in a covenant with the sister so...yeah. I thought about it. I don't think I have a need for the swamp pyro lady so I'm considering killing her. I probably won't though since I like her.

I kinda wanna kill Logan, but he scares me lol

damn ziegmeyer. Didn't mean to hit him but I had to pull the londo silver knights out and hit him once. Then he goes berserk killing the knight and starts chasing me. I had no choice but to end him. I'm saving him from pain later on anyways.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Yeah I felt really bad about killing her. The weapon you get from her soul is worth it, but the guilt will follow you forever T_T

I just wanted to take a moment to point out how this game actually made all of us feel strongly enough for a character that we didn't want to kill her, and if we did, we genuinely felt bad about doing it.

It's crazy that games are at a point that they can affect us like that now.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Finally beat Manus. That fucker gave me a pain in the ass. Now I'm finally onto the last boss before the Lord of Cinder.

Is this some sort of sick joke? Goddamn, people weren't kidding when they said the 4 Kings are incredibly hard on NG+. I get gang-rapped by the four of them before I can even kill one!

Dresden

Knight Artorias is pounding me into the ground. My new guy does like 40 damage a swing to him.

God, such a badass motherfucker.

Also went down into some kinda valley and was promptly destroyed by a
toxic spewing dragon
. Dayum son.

e: also accidentally killed a
talking mushroom
, hope it's not too important.

Zeliard

Knight Artorias is pounding me into the ground. My new guy does like 40 damage a swing to him.

toxic spewing dragon
. Dayum son.

talking mushroom

I need to start going through NG+.

Artorias on the NG plusses must be fun as hell to fight.

I thought he was fairly easy on NG but I loved the fight mechanically, and with a boost in difficulty I imagine the fight is pretty amazing. Kalameet is boss too.

Dresden

The two boss battles I've gone through so far have all been good stuff. No gimmicky BoC/Dragon God stuff, just a wide flat area, a boss, and you. Badass.

willooi

I need to start going through NG+.

Artorias on the NG plusses must be fun as hell to fight.

I thought he was fairly easy on NG but I loved the fight mechanically, and with a boost in difficulty I imagine the fight is pretty amazing. Kalameet is boss too.

All the AotA bosses on NG++ are epic - Kalameet and Manus in particular, I ended up spending a good 15-20 minutes on each of them. And as has been mentioned here before, I love the one on one with Artorias, which in itself is probably the best boss fight in all of Dark Souls.

Zeliard

The two boss battles I've gone through so far have all been good stuff. No gimmicky BoC/Dragon God stuff, just a wide flat area, a boss, and you. Badass.

Yeah, those are my favorite fights - those more intimate one-on-ones in open spaces against awesome enemies. Which is a lot of if not most Souls boss fights in general.

And generally my absolute favorite boss fights in the Souls game are with the relatively smaller humanoid enemies rather than the more gigantic bosses, but Kalameet and Manus in the Dark Souls expansion are both quite awesome.

All the AotA bosses on NG++ are epic - Kalameet and Manus in particular, I ended up spending a good 15-20 minutes on each of them. And as has been mentioned here before, I love the one on one with Artorias, which in itself is probably the best boss fight in all of Dark Souls.

Yep, totally agreed. And it's no surprise to hear that the fights are even more fun in the new game plusses game, since they're already interesting mechanically.

koryuken

toxic spewing dragon
. Dayum son.

talking mushroom

Protip on beating Atorias... make sure you have fast roll, and always roll backwards. I found that rolling backwards again him is super effective. Try it.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Lol ornstein.
ibnHKIygOBBJ49.png

ibsVG5hiXyHuSm.png
iMIhtbICqLQjY.png

upandaway

I think I've hit my first real wall in the game. Anor Londo archers mumble mumble. They're shooting freaking lances at me! Human-sized maces don't even nudge me how come a flying lance knocks me back through my shield MUMBLE MUMBLE

Overleveling won't help, killing them with arrows is harder than any other way (1 in every 5 lances slips through the rails on the bridge and hits me), the shield is completely useless, etc. All of my cheesing techniques advanced skills aren't working!

I tried rushing to the lefty and use the pillar between them as a shield but I keep getting knocked off before I get to the pillar. what

zkylon

zkylewd
I just wanted to take a moment to point out how this game actually made all of us feel strongly enough for a character that we didn't want to kill her, and if we did, we genuinely felt bad about doing it.

It's crazy that games are at a point that they can affect us like that now.
To be honest, I often have trouble doing bad stuff in games (outside of the Fallout games :D), I just feel sorry for them virtual peoples, so if pretty giant cat-dragon lady asks me nicely not to kill her, well, it's hard to resist the urge to comply.

Still, true, it's pretty cool that videogames can make us feel this way.

I think I've hit my first real wall in the game. Anor Londo archers mumble mumble. They're shooting freaking lances at me! Human-sized maces don't even nudge me how come a flying lance knocks me back through my shield MUMBLE MUMBLE

Overleveling won't help, killing them with arrows is harder than any other way (1 in every 5 lances slips through the rails on the bridge and hits me), the shield is completely useless, etc. All of my cheesing techniques advanced skills aren't working!

I tried rushing to the lefty and use the pillar between them as a shield but I keep getting knocked off before I get to the pillar. what
You gotta rush the archer on the right, stick your back to the wall and just kill him without worrying about the other guy. If you're lucky, he may even fall down. Then either not kill the second archer (I think there's nothing valuable behind him, but idk) or just push forward. Just sprint to the

Really it's simple, just sprint towards the big structure in the middle, that should be pretty safe. Then just do your normal run around it, then sprint up with your shield raised and you should be alright. If you managed to get through the "climbing thingie", you should be safe from the left archer. You can also roll through the arrows pretty easily, though it's kinda risky in those narrow ledges.

upandaway

You gotta rush the archer on the right, stick your back to the wall and just kill him without worrying about the other guy. If you're lucky, he may even fall down. Then either not kill the second archer (I think there's nothing valuable behind him, but idk) or just push forward. Just sprint to the

Really it's simple, just sprint towards the big structure in the middle, that should be pretty safe. Then just do your normal run around it, then sprint up with your shield raised and you should be alright. If you managed to get through the "climbing thingie", you should be safe from the left archer. You can also roll through the arrows pretty easily, though it's kinda risky in those narrow ledges.
Wait wait.. roll through the arrows? Really? That works? I never did the right before because the left just nails me from behind.

I'll try that out, thanks. Alright.

Serra

This is the way I always do it. Sometimes I mess up but generally its really easy. Once you are next to the right archer they can't do shit. If that seems too hard, just use poison arrows to kill them.

Just beat NG+ last night. Did it in like 1/8th the time it took the first time around. Should get all the achievements in a week or two of casual playing.

Was looking at some PVP videos and found this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DYsQvMo2iM

2 "Iron Golems" (iron golem set, two handing golem axes, iron flesh) beating on forest invaders. The way they stick together to offset the movement speed penalty and use the golem axes special ranged attack is really cool.

Akito

I wouldn't kill Anastasia for any amount of souls. I'm in a covenant with the sister so...yeah. I thought about it. I don't think I have a need for the swamp pyro lady so I'm considering killing her. I probably won't though since I like her.
Quelaag's sister probably has the shittiest life of all characters in both of the Souls games and that's to say something. She's blind, unable to move and could only communicate with her sister... until you came and killed her off. Maybe it's more merciful to free her from her life but after hearing her speak with the Old Witch's Ring equipped, I would even defend her from any fuckers who were to try to kill her, if that was somehow possible.

KingKong

Woot, took out the Sanctuary Guardian and started exploring the area, saw the dragon, then I chased after a crystal lizard and fell in a hole in the floor. It feels so exciting to be exploring a new area, playing through the original kind of lost its flavor

Wait wait.. roll through the arrows? Really? That works? I never did the right before because the left just nails me from behind.

I'll try that out, thanks. Alright.

The left one will likely hit you once or twice when you're running up to the right guy, but he'll never knock you off the ledge unlike the right one, because when you're moving on the ledge you're always facing towards the wall, so a shot from the back will only knock you into the wall while a shot from the front will knock you away from the wall and off the ledge, that's why you never ever attempt to block the arrows.

oracrest

I got a good ways into the DLC this weekend.

I think I have explored most of it, and it was some good content. I love the 4 wood carving items you get. So far, I have defeated 3 bosses, and am working on the dragon now.

The Chained Prisoner was a pleasant surprise. I really liked the character design on him a lot. The same with the apparitions in the caverns towards the end. Very creepy!!

hipgnosis

So a quick question:

I have a Claymore +10 and want to forge a Fire Claymore +5. Do I need to ascend my weapon to Claymore +5 first in order to forge a Fire Claymore? I reached Vamos with my Claymore +10, but didn't see the option to turn it into Fire.

EasyMode

So a quick question:

I have a Claymore +10 and want to forge a Fire Claymore +5. Do I need to ascend my weapon to Claymore +5 first in order to forge a Fire Claymore? I reached Vamos with my Claymore +10, but didn't see the option to turn it into Fire.

Yeah, Fire starts at +5. Vamos can downgrade that for you. Although +15 would probably be more damaging.

upandaway

So, I.. I guess.. I beat S&O?

Well not really because I summoned a phantom (whoever it was, thanks) who killed the big dude in a second (while I kept the small guy on me) and then I unloaded pyromancy on the second form and it was over.

But oh well, I felt like even if I would've won by myself it would have been more due to luck than anything (luck being, getting rid of one of them without using pyromancy, which basically equals winning).

Anyway, it seems.. I can return the fire keeper's soul in Firelink to return the bonfire? But I can also use that soul for the Estus, right?
Which choice is the generally better one? I'm guessing I should return her to life, but I'll ask just in case.

Top Bottom