• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Akito

So, I.. I guess.. I beat S&O?

Well not really because I summoned a phantom (whoever it was, thanks) who killed the big dude in a second (while I kept the small guy on me) and then I unloaded pyromancy on the second form and it was over.

But oh well, I felt like even if I would've won by myself it would have been more due to luck than anything (luck being, getting rid of one of them without using pyromancy, which basically equals winning).

Anyway, it seems.. I can return the fire keeper's soul in Firelink to return the bonfire? But I can also use that soul for the Estus, right?
Which choice is the generally better one? I'm guessing I should return her to life, but I'll ask just in case.
After beating O&S, just go upstairs to meet the princess, who will give you the lordvessel, which will grant you the ability to warp around Lordran.
I always resurrect Anastacia (if I didn't kick Lautrec's ass down the cliff before he kills her that is) because the Firelink shrine is basically the hub of the game and it's pretty annoying if you cannot use the bonfire there (you could still warp there with the lordvessel though). Ultimately, it's up to you, there's no real drawback if you don't resurrect her.

So, I.. I guess.. I beat S&O?

Well not really because I summoned a phantom (whoever it was, thanks) who killed the big dude in a second (while I kept the small guy on me) and then I unloaded pyromancy on the second form and it was over.

But oh well, I felt like even if I would've won by myself it would have been more due to luck than anything (luck being, getting rid of one of them without using pyromancy, which basically equals winning).

Anyway, it seems.. I can return the fire keeper's soul in Firelink to return the bonfire? But I can also use that soul for the Estus, right?
Which choice is the generally better one? I'm guessing I should return her to life, but I'll ask just in case.

Once your able to warp between bonfires, having the firelink shrine one active isn't as important. At that point in the game, most of the areas you need to go to become more 'linear path the a warp at the end to get back out' and you don't need to be crossing through Firelink as often.

That said, having that bonfire active while doing New Londo is rather handy - there are no bonfires in New Londo, so if you die there - it's nice being able to re-spawn at Firelink instead of re-spawning elsewhere and needing to warp there.

My preferred option is to give it back - but it's not 'game breaking' if you decide to use it to reinforce your flask instead.

upandaway

Guess I'll do it then if she fully resurrects and all. More people around is always better and it seems kind of cruel not to do it. Plus even if I don't need the bonfire I don't really need the small Estus upgrade either.

By the way is there any background to what's up with that dude and why he killed her? I couldn't pay attention to what he was saying when I killed him because I was killing him.

Akito

By the way is there any background to what's up with that dude and why he killed her? I couldn't pay attention to what he was saying when I killed him because I was killing him.
Nothing was revealed really, he's most likely just a douchebag/the spiritual successor to Yurt in Demon's Souls.

zkylon

zkylewd
Man.

...man.

He's really stupid.
Well that's kind of the point of the Souls' story, to speculate based on bits and pieces of information you get off items and the few lines of dialogue the game's so graceful to share.

Personally, I like to think the guy's not crazy, that he just hunts firekeepers' souls with some obscure motives, probably related to his faith in the goddess Fina. Also he's not alone and you hunt him as a Darkmoon covenanter, so I get the feeling he's riling stuff up in Lordran for some reason. We already did some digging and supposedly the mage fighting alongside one is one of the Sealers, who the game comes to present as "good guys" (inasmuch they exist in the Dark Souls universe), so maybe there's some bottom line to Lautrec's work.

But also, he's a psycho :p

Quelaag's sister probably has the shittiest life of all characters in both of the Souls games and that's to say something. She's blind, unable to move and could only communicate with her sister... until you came and killed her off. Maybe it's more merciful to free her from her life but after hearing her speak with the Old Witch's Ring equipped, I would even defend her from any fuckers who were to try to kill her, if that was somehow possible.
You can make her a bit better by giving her humanity. I'm slowly trying to get her well :3

koryuken

Quelaag's sister probably has the shittiest life of all characters in both of the Souls games and that's to say something. She's blind, unable to move and could only communicate with her sister... until you came and killed her off. Maybe it's more merciful to free her from her life but after hearing her speak with the Old Witch's Ring equipped, I would even defend her from any fuckers who were to try to kill her, if that was somehow possible.

You get to kill her brother too...if you don't know, Google :)

willooi

Just gotta add to the above comments on how DS makes you feel bad about killing certain characters, especially when they dangle that carrot of unique weapons in front of you only for you to be left with awful remorse afterwards.

The worst I felt was killing the blacksmiths for their weapons/the Hawk ring. Didn't even need these items, and now I find myself, in completely new playthroughs, still unable to get over how awful I was.

As for Sif, I must admit that there wasn't much sympathy the first time I came up against him - mainly because of how he'd utterly destroy my guard and annihilate me with a few hits - but the AotA content makes his 'present day' fight completely tragic. I mean, Baby Sif?? Come on, Miyazaki, come ON - you're telling us we have to kill him after having this cute little Bambi-like image of him permanently etched into our minds now?

~~

Change of topic. Anyone care to discuss some Solaire lore?

Rather embarrassingly it's only just finally hit me, re: Solaire's endgame post-Izalith (don't read on unless you know about all of his outcomes):

After being all bubbly at the start of the game, there's a hint of doubt in his voice as he mentions how he's starting to feel as if he's been misled when you speak to him at the Sunlight Altar (and I seem to recall him mentioning how he "turned mortal" for it), and then he's all depressed at the start of Lost Izalith, realising that there really isn't any "personal sun" for him to find, and that it was all a lie. And provided that you save him from the Sunlight Maggot, you can then summon him when you reach Gwyn at the Kiln.

Really don't know why the significance of this last bit hasn't seeped in until now, but there you go.

Solaire is a sunbro, part of the specific covenant that worships Gwyn where he even initially asks you to do the same, and it seems like a complete and utter U-turn of faith for you to then be able to ask for his help to fight against his God.

I do like that theory of Solaire's "sun" actually being his own "son", and it would make sense in the context of Solaire being so pissed off over a promise (that huge) being broken that he's willing to go all Liam-Neeson-in-Taken style to right those wrongs against his own friggin' deity. But any other theories on what this "sun" might be?

Or, in other words, what would drive you to turn against the God you've worshipped your whole life?

upandaway

The worst I felt was killing the blacksmiths for their weapons/the Hawk ring. Didn't even need these items, and now I find myself, in completely new playthroughs, still unable to get over how awful I was
Wait.. the hawk ring? I have that, I didn't kill any-

...oh.

You know you don't need to kill him to get that, there's a small gap to his left you can walk through..

willooi

Ahahah. Oh, I know that feeling. Hug the left wall next time. Hahahaha.

At least tell me that the unique weapons are required for the achievement, right? Right??

wrong.jpg

willooi

By the way is there a name for him? I hope not, I already got used to calling him Goltas..

how could you. I'd always buy twinkling titanites from him and he'd get all cheerful... you will be missed goltas :(

It was my final act before Gwyn and NG++. To get all the unique gear in the game, you know, before 'resetting' everything such that your sins are absolved.

But no, I can testify that they are not. There's no escaping from these crimes which I'll regret forever.

I called him Mr Big =( =(

zkylon

zkylewd
Change of topic. Anyone care to discuss some Solaire lore?

Rather embarrassingly it's only just finally hit me, re: Solaire's endgame post-Izalith (don't read on unless you know about all of his outcomes):

After being all bubbly at the start of the game, there's a hint of doubt in his voice as he mentions how he's starting to feel as if he's been misled when you speak to him at the Sunlight Altar (and I seem to recall him mentioning how he "turned mortal" for it), and then he's all depressed at the start of Lost Izalith, realising that there really isn't any "personal sun" for him to find, and that it was all a lie. And provided that you save him from the Sunlight Maggot, you can then summon him when you reach Gwyn at the Kiln.

Really don't know why the significance of this last bit hasn't seeped in until now, but there you go.

Solaire is a sunbro, part of the specific covenant that worships Gwyn where he even initially asks you to do the same, and it seems like a complete and utter U-turn of faith for you to then be able to ask for his help to fight against his God.

I do like that theory of Solaire's "sun" actually being his own "son", and it would make sense in the context of Solaire being so pissed off over a promise (that huge) being broken that he's willing to go all Liam-Neeson-in-Taken style to right those wrongs against his own friggin' deity. But any other theories on what this "sun" might be?

Or, in other words, what would drive you to turn against the God you've worshipped your whole life?
I'm not so sure about the Sun/son thing. I mean, it just works in english, and while some people say Solaire may be Gwyn's firstborn or whatever, I feel there's too much stuff based on the phonetics of a word in a different language that it was written in.

As for the ultimate irony of having to finally fight Gwyn, I think he may be finding his long-sought Sun in your final sacrificial kindling of the flame.

willooi

I'm not so sure about the Sun/son thing. I mean, it just works in english, and while some people say Solaire may be Gwyn's firstborn or whatever, I feel there's too much stuff based on the phonetics of a word in a different language that it was written in.

As for the ultimate irony of having to finally fight Gwyn, I think he may be finding his long-sought Sun in your final sacrificial kindling of the flame.

Yeah, the Sun/son thing is a bit of a stretch, and no doubt the true meaning of what he's after has been deliberately left vague. Good spot there about the kindling of the flame...

I suppose another interpretation of it would be that Solaire was
promised his own personal sun or power or source of beauty or whatever it was in exchange for turning Undead (for some reason it makes me think of that 'what's in the briefcase' riddle in Pulp Fiction), and that it was somewhere to be found in Lordran which of course turned out to be a great lie. I take it that this is somehow connected to the illusions and deceit of Anor Londo, and...basically, Gwyn (or at least, definitely, Gwyndolin) was running some sort of a scam this whole time, maybe even to 'get rid of' or 'dethrone' Solaire from his previous position or title. My inclination is that someone, somewhere seemed to have wanted Solaire out of the picture.

As far as family soap operas go, how about this: that missing statue in the Anor Londo cathedral...one last spot to be at the right hand of Gwyn, and yet we have Dark Son Gwyndolin acting like a spoilt brat on the one hand, and Solaire who is essentially his opposite, being both honourable and positive - if there was ever going to be any conflict over who took that last spot if it was up for grabs, I'd bet it'd be between these two.

In any case, he may or may not be Gwyn's firstborn, but it certainly seems like Solaire was right up there in terms of at least being on Gwyn's side as his most loyal servant, so his anger may just be down to how he'd been fooled into giving up the comfort and optimism of, let's say 'near-god-like' status, and ended up in this awful place full of horror and desolation. In which case 'sun' might simply have stood for 'hope'.

willooi

Im at the archives after meeting
seath the first time, Should i go clear the crystal cave or try to beat Seath again?

He won't be there in the first spot anymore - that was an un-winnable fight. Go to the crystal cave to meet him again.

After beating him there, though, definitely worth your while to go back to that location...

zkylon

zkylewd
Yeah, the Sun/son thing is a bit of a stretch, and no doubt the true meaning of what he's after has been deliberately left vague. Good spot there about the kindling of the flame...

I suppose another interpretation of it would be that Solaire was
promised his own personal sun or power or source of beauty or whatever it was in exchange for turning Undead (for some reason it makes me think of that 'what's in the briefcase' riddle in Pulp Fiction), and that it was somewhere to be found in Lordran which of course turned out to be a great lie. I take it that this is somehow connected to the illusions and deceit of Anor Londo, and...basically, Gwyn (or at least, definitely, Gwyndolin) was running some sort of a scam this whole time, maybe even to 'get rid of' or 'dethrone' Solaire from his previous position or title. My inclination is that someone, somewhere seemed to have wanted Solaire out of the picture.

As far as family soap operas go, how about this: that missing statue in the Anor Londo cathedral...one last spot to be at the right hand of Gwyn, and yet we have Dark Son Gwyndolin acting like a spoilt brat on the one hand, and Solaire who is essentially his opposite, being both honourable and positive - if there was ever going to be any conflict over who took that last spot if it was up for grabs, I'd bet it'd be between these two.

In any case, he may or may not be Gwyn's firstborn, but it certainly seems like Solaire was right up there in terms of at least being on Gwyn's side as his most loyal servant, so his anger may just be down to how he'd been fooled into giving up the comfort and optimism of, let's say 'near-god-like' status, and ended up in this awful place full of horror and desolation. In which case 'sun' might simply have stood for 'hope'.
My theory about him is a lot simpler, but only because I like it better that way.
I see Solaire as a guy that is devout and noble and finds himself aimless in a world that rewards neither. He chooses to become undead (he seems to have done so willingly: "Now that I am Undead, I have come to this great land, the birthplace of Lord Gwyn, to seek my very own sun!") to make some sense out of it all, and to become closer to Gwyn and find his own Sun.

And well, then Lordran happens, and nothing ever turns out like it should :p

edit: spoilertagged it up but it's not really spoilerific, I think

willooi

My theory about him is a lot simpler, but only because I like it better that way.
I see Solaire as a guy that is devout and noble and finds himself aimless in a world that rewards neither. He chooses to become undead (he seems to have done so willingly: "Now that I am Undead, I have come to this great land, the birthplace of Lord Gwyn, to seek my very own sun!") to make some sense out of it all, and to become closer to Gwyn and find his own Sun.

And well, then Lordran happens, and nothing ever turns out like it should :p

edit: spoilertagged it up but it's not really spoilerific, I think

Ah, I like that. On a pilgrimage of sorts, eh, tragically ending with complete disillusionment to the point of realising the follies of his faith, and the willing destruction of his own (false?) god. The poor guy.

Edit: Plus, who could blame him after having to go through Blighttown and Lost Izalith...on a meta-game level, replace 'Gwyn' with 'Miyazaki' and 'Sun' with 'fun', and Solaire's endgame may well reflect the player's own thoughts...:

"I did not find my own fun, not in Anor Londo, nor in Twilight Blighttown.
Where else might my fun be? Lost Izalith, or the Tomb of the Gravelord… ?
But I cannot give up. I gave up precious real life time to pursue this!
But when I peer at other players, enjoying other games, it occurs to me…
What if I am seen as a laughing stock, as a blind fool without reason?
Well, I suppose they wouldn't be far off!"

Or not =p

KingKong

DLC question:

So I ran to where the dragon is supposed to be before going to that town, and as I'm climbing down the stairs I hear a sound and all of a sudden it gives me a bunch of items, including the calamity ring, which apparently I'm supposed to get for killing the dragon. I don't think I got any souls though, and it didnt show any message. I ignored it, but now I got to Gough and it's not bringing up the option to shoot down the dragon. Did it glitch? Aww I wanted to fight him :(

zkylon

zkylewd
Ah, I like that. On a pilgrimage of sorts, eh, tragically ending with complete disillusionment to the point of realising the follies of his faith, and the willing destruction of his own (false?) god. The poor guy.

Edit: Plus, who could blame him after having to go through Blighttown and Lost Izalith...on a meta-game level, replace 'Gwyn' with 'Miyazaki' and 'Sun' with 'fun', and Solaire's endgame may well reflect the player's own thoughts...:

Or not =p
Dark Souls' moral: jolly cooperation only leads to insanity.

zkylon

zkylewd
So can I kill this bastard in the catacombs? You know which one...
You shouldn't. You can.

DLC question:

So I ran to where the dragon is supposed to be before going to that town, and as I'm climbing down the stairs I hear a sound and all of a sudden it gives me a bunch of items, including the calamity ring, which apparently I'm supposed to get for killing the dragon. I don't think I got any souls though, and it didnt show any message. I ignored it, but now I got to Gough and it's not bringing up the option to shoot down the dragon. Did it glitch? Aww I wanted to fight him :(
Seems so, unfortunately. Tried going down where Kalameet is yet?

SteeloDMZ

Banned
It felt awesome finding the way to fight Kalameet by myself. Just beat the dragon btw. Great fight, and with that, I'm done with the excellent DLC.

I don't have anything left to do in the game other than face what I've been dreading the most: 4 Kings in NG+.

willooi

It felt awesome finding the way to fight Kalameet by myself. Just beat the dragon btw. Great fight, and with that, I'm done with the excellent DLC.

I don't have anything left to do in the game other than face what I've been dreading the most: 4 Kings in NG+.

I tried everything...everything...against the 4 Kings to the point of madness in NG+, until I just tanked them with Iron Flesh and a mix of Havel's and Channeler's gear for physical/magic resistances, and 10-15 estuses.

Not the most elegant tactic, but it's a huge relief to get them out of the way. Totally recommend trying that if you're a pyro, or otherwise grabbing the glove and spell.

zkylon

zkylewd
I'm not even at that part yet but it's good to know trusty Patches is back.
lol trusty Patches.

I tried everything...everything...against the 4 Kings to the point of madness in NG+, until I just tanked them with Iron Flesh and a mix of Havel's and Channeler's gear for physical/magic resistances, and 10-15 estuses.

Not the most elegant tactic, but it's a huge relief to get them out of the way. Totally recommend trying that if you're a pyro, or otherwise grabbing the glove and spell.
Power Within is also a good idea, although it's a pain to have to wait out the transient curse. I didn't really like the tank strategy, I'd rather just do the DPS race and just stick to his back and wail on him. Their attacks are pretty easy to dodge, except for the bullshit grab.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I used 2 Elizabeth Mushrooms against the 4 Kings and the strategy worked pretty well. It was also the first boss where my Pyromancy Chaos Ball worked wonders against. Right now I just beat Gwyn and I'm done with Dark Souls again!

A question, where you able to get the other ending in NG+? I did the bonfire one the first time, and it was the only option this time.

zkylon

zkylewd
I used 2 Elizabeth Mushrooms against the 4 Kings and the strategy worked pretty well. It was also the first boss where my Pyromancy Chaos Ball worked wonders against. Right now I just beat Gwyn and I'm done with Dark Souls again!

A question, where you able to get the other ending in NG+? I did the bonfire one the first time, and it was the only option this time.
To get the second ending
just walk away. It'll make more sense if you talk to Kaathe first. Just get the Firevessel, beat the 4Ks and you'll find him there.

Top Bottom