• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
iQZPRQBHgGDeg.jpg

So, in the Duke's library...that "thing" beyond the fog door way. There is a message about using an "amazing ring" or "try amazing ring". What do I do? I walked in that room in my last game and got destroyed.

2AdEPT

Yeah, and if you jump down the Frampt hole by yourself both him and Kathe will thumb their noses at you.

ok I get it...you can place the lordvessel without talking, but that is really not useful for anything is it? I usually liked to go kaathe route, but sometimes it is too tedious when doing a speed run of sorts....will have to keep it mind for speed running I guess but having the menu of both snakes is minorly useful at worst.

I formerly thought the ending was totally dependent on who you talked to .....but apparently it is a screen prompt choice at the end of Gwyn only??? man that original collector item hardcover guide was full of bumsteers! I guess patches interfere with its ability to have the best info now for sure.

zkylon

zkylewd
ok I get it...you can place the lordvessel without talking, but that is really not useful for anything is it? I usually liked to go kaathe route, but sometimes it is too tedious when doing a speed run of sorts....will have to keep it mind for speed running I guess but having the menu of both snakes is minorly useful at worst.

I formerly thought the ending was totally dependent on who you talked to .....but apparently it is a screen prompt choice at the end of Gwyn only??? man that original collector item hardcover guide was full of bumsteers! I guess patches interfere with its ability to have the best info now for sure.
You either
link the bonfire
or
walk away

I think it was
a dragon
It threw spikes all over the floor. In the last game, I died, I came back in a cell located somewhere else.

Yeah, I'm not so sure I seen this before. It must have been a sign put down by a player? Maybe I just wasn't paying attention though.

And, yeah, it's a fight designed to loose. And there are some one-time items with certain enemies, mainly bosses.

upandaway

Just beat Sif

Well that was
disappointing... I was so looking forward to this because he's so badass and was in the trailer and all. Then pyromancy+2 pokes later.. ;_; (and I even missed with like half of the pyroing). Needless to say it was first try, didn't even know who the boss was before he appeared

I'm pretty certain my problem is that I'm overleveled. But the thing is, I never grinded anywhere and never hoarded souls to get some crazy powerful item. The only things I did do was tips from you guys + consulting the thread where to go next.
I just can't intentionally hinder myself to make the game harder when I never cheesed my stats to begin with, and I don't think I need to, so I'm gonna keep going like this (hell, I used the souls from Sif to get another attunement slot for MORE PYROMANCY). I'm still enjoying the game a lot anyway, just wanted to vent and maybe figure out what I did wrong.

For some context, my setup:
Winged Spear+10, Pyro +0 (after Quelana reset it)
26 health, 25 endurance, 29 dex
Havel head/hands, Knight+7 body, Crimson+4 waist
Rings: Havel and Steel Protection

How's NG+ compared to this?

Also, unrelated question: I have exactly 20 humanities. It took 10 to go up a rank in the Chaos Servant covenant so I'm guessing this will seal the deal - should I just go for it or is it not worth it right now?

Akito

Despite looking cool, Sif is one of the easier bosses, all you need to do is stay close to him. I would even say that most bosses in DkS are not that hard if you have solid stats and equipment, which you seems to have. The only difficulty spikes are probably O&S and the 4 Kings (Bed of Chaos cheepness aside). Personally I find NG+ not that much more difficult, sure the enemies hit harder and you need to land some more hits to kill them but you also know their attacks patterns already. O&S, 4 Kings and the DLC bosses might prove a challenge though.

You do not receive anything as a Chaos Servant +1, at rank +2 you receive Chaos Storm and a shortcut to skip most of Lost Izalith, the latter is pretty nice since Lost Izalith is a boring level and there's a monster in the shortcut you can farm demon titanites from. You need to donate 30 humanities for that but you also make the Fair Lady feeling better with it so it's for a good cause as well ;)

Czigga

So I picked up Dark Souls for $20 during the Amazon sale. What a game. The feeling of constant unease while playing is unmatched in anything else I’ve ever played. Only ones that come close are Dead Space and Amnesia. But the unease is not due to scares (while there are definitely scares in the game) but just the actual challenge, just walking around and fighting regular guys, is what sets it apart. You have to constantly be on your toes and be paying attention at all times. That’s what’s so cool about the game.

Anyway I had a story/question about a recent experience in the game.
I had just beaten the Capra Demon (what an asshole fight that is) and went down to the depths. I killed the zombies, dogs and the butcher guy chopping up meat. I happened to crush some boxes behind his table and saw a garbage chute of sorts. After deliberating whether or not I should drop down, I dropped down.

Now I’m in this sewer area and there is this huge rat eyeballing me from below. I walk around trying to see if there’s any way to avoid going down and facing this monstrous beast. I see none. So I happen to have 6 bolts on me so I shoot him with my crossbow 6 times. Combined they did about 5% off his health. So now I’m fucked. But then! I see a doorway to the right, down on his level below. I figure if I make a run for it I can run through the doorway before he can kill me. So I sprint to the edge and roll off and fall to the level below. The camera screwed up mid-drop so while I was frantically trying to gather my bearings and find the doorway, the Giant Rat strikes and takes off about 85% of my health. I think for sure I’m dead but the delay before his 2nd attack is enough that I am able to escape into the doorway. I immediately slurp up some Estus. Thanks be to god.

Now I’m in this long hallway / sewer, so I trudge forward. I feel like I’m screwed anyway and somehow found myself in a much later portion of the game accidentally. I look to my left at the first intersection and I see a ‘normal’ rat looking right at me from afar in another long straightaway. I figure he might be some uber-rat much more powerful than the ones I’d already faced up to this point. So I decide not to turn left and keep going forward.

Eventually I run into a 3-4 group of those rats and I had no choice but to fight. I was doing okay I guess, but then in the middle of my battle, out of nowhere I fell down AGAIN even deeper through some trap door or something. It was a long fall and I thought the drop would kill me. But after falling for a few seconds, SPLASH. I land into some water. Then, I find some footing and start walking around, having no idea where I am or how I got there. I figure I must be at the very bottom of the game’s world. And then all of a sudden, these ungodly alien looking things start popping up and weaving around. I’d never seen any creature like it in any game or other medium. They were alien things, I was so panicked I didn’t even get a good look to see what it actually was. All I know is that they had huge eyeballs sticking up out of them and they spit out some kind of poisonous gas, which I hadn’t seen before. I actually killed a few of them but was overwhelmed and eventually succumbed to their attacks. AND, I was cursed for the first time from these bastards. Which really sucks. I had to use up all my saved up soul orbs to afford the curse stone.

Anyway, not sure if anyone got any enjoyment of that story, but it was a pretty frantic/memorable gaming experience for me. But my basic question is
was the path I took something I was supposed to do? It seemed like I went pretty far off the beaten path. Should I attempt to go that route again or should I continue on out of the first butcher’s room without dropping down that chute to hell?

Akito

Hah, I and probably many of the players can totally relate to the story, you have to experience the dread of being cursed at least once in DkS lol. And yes, it's the right path after the capra demon, there are many ways to go through that level, depending on where you decide drop down since the boss is at the bottom. You can totally avoid those basilisks if you want btw.

upandaway

@Czigga, I went through a similar thing (also got cursed, freaked me out). I was paralyzed with fear the entire time. I'm glad it happened to me because that's a hell of an experience.
I think it's set up to torture players who don't know what they're doing. Armed with the knowledge, just try to avoid it next time and find another way around.

reach the +2 if you want to unlock a shortcut to lost izalith and if you want to save a certain npc

Despite looking cool, Sif is one of the easier bosses, all you need to do is stay close to him. I would even say that most bosses in DkS are not that hard if you have solid stats and equipment, which you seems to have. The only difficulty spikes are probably O&S and the 4 Kings (Bed of Chaos cheepness aside). Personally I find NG+ not that much more difficult, sure the enemies hit harder and you need to land some more hits to kill them but you also know their attacks patterns already. O&S, 4 Kings and the DLC bosses might prove a challenge though.

You do not receive anything as a Chaos Servant +1, at rank +2 you receive Chaos Storm and a shortcut to skip most of Lost Izalith, the latter is pretty nice since Lost Izalith is a boring level and there's a monster in the shortcut you can farm demon titanites from. You need to donate 30 humanities for that but you also make the Fair Lady feeling better with it so it's for a good cause as well ;)
Hmm.. I don't really care about the shortcut (I explore every last inch I can find!) as a means to skip stuff, but the other things you mentioned sound really awesome.

To be honest the Chaos Servant feels like "my" covenant. It's about pyromancy and the thing with the chick was a pretty big shock (she's the sister of my favorite NPC so far), and the other covenants are all just silly or are about miracles. Even if there's nothing after +2 I think I'll stick with it.
My only issue with dumping all 20 souls is kindling.. but oh well, I'll try buying some more instead of leveling up.

About Sif, pretty reassuring to hear that. After what happened with O&S I'll know not to summon help for bosses anymore, so if I go as far as NG+ I'll beat 'em fair and square.

ArynCrinn

Banned

The weird thing is, given a certain rule set Sif can be one of the harder bosses. No level-up, no healing, no blocking, no elemental weapons...Sif can be a pain in the ass until you master roll dodging all of his timings. Guess that's the cool thing about Dark Souls though.

O&S yes, extremely annoying to beat under the same rule set I mentioned. Part of the problem when you dedicate yourself to no blocking is the O&S fight is unpredictable, Ornstein can fire lightning directly through Smough where you can't see it coming, and the little bastard can dart around the map until he feels like attacking, even stopping for a second just to finish the dash out of nowhere. Smough is really Ornstein's backup, you'll be trying to focus on Ornstein and find a opening and during a recovery or attack Smough will barrel down the hall to fuck you up the ass. Not to mention they both have extremely annoying and sometimes unfair tracking to their attacks, namely Smough's running swipe which he can follow you through a dodge animation, and Ornstein's jumping attack that seems to have illogical distance from one moment to the next.

I'll get back to you on 4 Kings, because honestly it's going to be tough with no elemental weapons or healing at base soul level...

cm osi

Hmm.. I don't really care about the shortcut (I explore every last inch I can find!) as a means to skip stuff, but the other things you mentioned sound really awesome.

To be honest the Chaos Servant feels like "my" covenant. It's about pyromancy and the thing with the chick was a pretty big shock (she's the sister of my favorite NPC so far), and the other covenants are all just silly or are about miracles. Even if there's nothing after +2 I think I'll stick with it.
My only issue with dumping all 20 souls is kindling.. but oh well, I'll try buying some more instead of leveling up.

well, the shortcut enable a respawnable titanite demon, which is good if you need to farm some demon titanite . if you kill him from the other side without using the shortcut he won't respawn.

if you need humanities you can try the ghost zone in the dlc areas, it's the best way to get some humanities

2AdEPT

Also, unrelated question: I have exactly 20 humanities. It took 10 to go up a rank in the Chaos Servant covenant so I'm guessing this will seal the deal - should I just go for it or is it not worth it right now?

YOu do not appear to be overleveled....staying around 60-80 gives you good PVP options and keeps you within respectable power for a first playthrough. If you areally are that good though, most players of that pedigree will keep their characters low in the 25-30 range if they level at all. My no-upgrades SL1 run was one of the most fun thigns I have done in Dark souls....totally new game.

20 humanity can be acquired in a little over 20 minutes (basically one humanity a minute) by wearing the covetous serpent ring and having 5-10 humnaity in your ticker in the depths. DEFINITELY open the shortcut...if its your covenant, you want to do all the options within it. You can alsways not use the end result of the shortcut and go the long way arpound after, but there is a VERY IMPORTANT NPC that will NOT show up for you near the final battle of the game unless yuou open the shrotcut and speak with him PRIOR to setting foot in lost Izalith, which is impossible without opening the shortcut, therefore speak to all NPCs before setting foot just past the top of the stairs to the demon.... and go all the way to the brink of lost ixalith the regular way talking to all NPC's BUT DO NOT SET FOOT in lost IZALITH until you do via either path.....you will have to do other things before the NPC path is complete but you simply can not do it unles you open the shortcut......plus it gives you earlier access to an item useful in another world. Just kill all the bugs there fast before they get too far away from you and you will have no problems.

finally, you didn't ask really, but I will share that pyro is available to all charcters and it is unaffected by character leveling such that it is not in your best interest to ncessessarily stay as a pyro only for spells. MOst players choose one of either sorcery or faith to level alongside pyro if they like spells at all..you can finish your playthrough as a pyro only and that is fine, but it costs you nothing as a pyro to balance your attack with faith or sorcery as you can max pyro with souls and simply level your dex and either faith or sorcery. All my characters have at least 16 sorcery (start as sorcerer) in order to get the cool cloak and fun spells, then I usually move to faith. I always max pyro and have it ready for certain situations as there is absolutely no penalty for doing so...souls are easy to come by. WHich brings me to my final point:

You may wnat to try other covenants. MOst are faith based. Many have ot do with multiplayer. It costs yuou nothgin but souls again (and half of the amount of whatever you already gave them for an item) to swith out, swith back, collect the rewards of other covenants and return to the one you love. TBH you will be finsihed with the chaos once you open the shortcut... the rest of pyro is owing to queelna but she does not require you to be part of a covenant. YOu may also want to acquire a certain disease in the Demons ruins if you haven't already and speak to your friend near the chaos bonfire....this can occur outside of being in the covenant but it is a "pyro" thing to do.

Since you seem to be specializing in dex weapons you will at very least want to visit the forest covenant, speak to your "friends" once you join, then visit them in Blighttown where they will open a shop for you. THis shop is the only place where you can acquire my favourite weapon in the game ...it is a dex weapon to be sure (although others scale better) but even has historical reference to a real Japanese sword used in Japan by an authentic famous warror...it was one of the longest katanas on record in the world...teh game versio is no different and despite slightly lower dPS than other katans...other katakns feel like bringing a toothpick to a joust match comparitively...bigger is better....once you try one ...you never go back.

So I picked up Dark Souls for $20 during the Amazon sale. What a game. The feeling of constant unease while playing is unmatched in anything else I’ve ever played. Only ones that come close are Dead Space and Amnesia. But the unease is not due to scares (while there are definitely scares in the game) but just the actual challenge, just walking around and fighting regular guys, is what sets it apart. You have to constantly be on your toes and be paying attention at all times. That’s what’s so cool about the game.

Anyway, not sure if anyone got any enjoyment of that story, but it was a pretty frantic/memorable gaming experience for me. But my basic question is
was the path I took something I was supposed to do? It seemed like I went pretty far off the beaten path. Should I attempt to go that route again or should I continue on out of the first butcher’s room without dropping down that chute to hell?

Awesome story.....yeah the depths can be done any way you want..your way is actually a bit of a shortcut...depends on if you wished to take the master key at the start whether it saves you much time.....nice that you have a gripping experience, but alwyas wear curse resistant armour in the depths and you will never have an issue with the frogs....they are OHK for even the weakest of warriors so just attack them first before they blow their shit..if you make a mistake so what you will have enough curse protect to withstand a single frog even at full puff...but don't let them gank you.

THe only thing I suggest is that you ensure to become human at some point before hitting the boss and fight the rats just down from the foyer where the blobs and the entrance to the boss area are...go further down the tunnel and something should happen. YOu went too far if you start hitting more than one frog. I f you hire any help as a human they can run to the boss door if they wnat...you don't follow them and do this...it will be worth it as you can not repeat this even t if you already killed the boss.

So it begins.

Oh man, what I'd give to play this game again, for the first time. Savour the flavor my friend, and enjoy!

------

Edit: Oh yeah guys, I got Episode 5 up on my hunter playthrough earlier, forgot to mention in this thread.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL964jgaL-2u-XMgFTXZi0BsGrvcLa0hjL&feature=plcp

Episode 5 is called "Snakes and Ladder" cause I climb Sen's Fortress.

If you don't know, this playlist is kinda like a compressed Let's Play, where emphasis is on the important bits, and all the filler is edited out. I pretty much cram a 45 minute-1 hour gameplay session into >15 minute episode. With post-play commentary as well, so check it out!

2AdEPT

So it begins.

Oh man, what I'd give to play this game again, for the first time. Savour the flavor my friend, and enjoy!

------

Edit: Oh yeah guys, I got Episode 5 up on my hunter playthrough earlier, forgot to mention in this thread.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL964jgaL-2u-XMgFTXZi0BsGrvcLa0hjL&feature=plcp

Episode 5 is called "Snakes and Ladder" cause I climb Sen's Fortress.

If you don't know, this playlist is kinda like a compressed Let's Play, where emphasis is on the important bits, and all the filler is edited out. I pretty much cram a 45 minute-1 hour gameplay session into >15 minute episode. With post-play commentary as well, so check it out!

can't wait to get home to watch...I got busy with my bow and arrow chick last week and made it all the way to S&O in one night! Sens is a level I have always used bows on so it was done in 10 minutes. It was also fun to poison arrow the archers as you would thinki t not cheap while using a bow oreinted character! DIdn't fight S&O though...I want to get the dragonslayer greatbow and maybe upgrade the BBofP a bit more before tackling them...I still have not solo'd them ever...even though I know I prolly could...its just too fun a co-op boss and its so fun to help noobs that think its impossible etc. and be the "hero." I love to share that with others as the host I guess, but maybe I'll try a solo shot this round with the bows...I think I want the heavy crossbow upgraded first as well though.

ANyway two 12 hour shifts in a row end tonight so i iwill not have the energy, but it will be nice to crack a BEvERage and watch your latest video...vicarious play is almost as good!!!!?!?!??

zkylon

zkylewd
So, I just got to Anor Londo and found this:

How ... did this happen? :( I didn't even get to meet the guy. Am I screwed?

Is it possible that a phantom did this? I suspect it might have to do with the summoned phantom (although I didn't summon anyone) that never appeared. I got 3000 souls when he killed a Royal Sentinel (or the blacksmith? :/) and then he left, didn't see him whatsoever.

edit: heh, yeah, according the DS Wiki you get 3000 souls for killing Giant Blacksmith. It's not really an issue as I have backups, but how the hell did he kill the blacksmith? And more importantly, how did he get into my game without me summoning him?
Man such terrible stories... I'd be crushed if that happened to me :/

ArynCrinn

Banned
game save manager works for me...ever since i killed ingward and he died without coughing up the key I have been using it and it has saved my ass a couple times now.

Can't believe I've never thought about or tried this, but can you copy a existing save into another slot before killing Ingward? Haven't used the game save manager yet myself. They need to at least patch this issue though, because it totally kills a really essential sequence break for players...

Edit: Haven't tried or heard anything yet, but did they introduce this into the recent console patch too? That would suck.

NBtoaster

So, I just got to Anor Londo and found this:

How ... did this happen? :( I didn't even get to meet the guy. Am I screwed?

Is it possible that a phantom did this? I suspect it might have to do with the summoned phantom (although I didn't summon anyone) who never appeared. I got 3000 souls when he killed a Royal Sentinel (or the blacksmith? :/) and then he left, didn't see him whatsoever.

edit: heh, yeah, according the DS Wiki you get 3000 souls for killing Giant Blacksmith. It's not really an issue as I keep backups, but how the hell did he kill the blacksmith? And more importantly, how did he get into my game without me summoning him?

What on earth are you wearing?

Shantom

Couple of questions here: Does the physical UK release register on Steam and, as my uni blocks GFWL, will I still be able to play the game offline?

Do all versions of the PC game come with the art book etc? I've just ordered it from Amazon and the boxart doesn't really say its a Limited Edition or anything, but there is an image within the selection gallery of a poster, book, and making of?

Just wondering as £17.99 seems cheap if it includes all of that.

Shantom

Do all versions of the PC game come with the art book etc? I've just ordered it from Amazon and the boxart doesn't really say its a Limited Edition or anything, but there is an image within the selection gallery of a poster, book, and making of?

Just wondering as £17.99 seems cheap if it includes all of that.

I believe they all do, it should say prepare to die edition on the box. It's £14.85 here though.

can't wait to get home to watch...I got busy with my bow and arrow chick last week and made it all the way to S&O in one night! Sens is a level I have always used bows on so it was done in 10 minutes. It was also fun to poison arrow the archers as you would thinki t not cheap while using a bow oreinted character! DIdn't fight S&O though...I want to get the dragonslayer greatbow and maybe upgrade the BBofP a bit more before tackling them...I still have not solo'd them ever...even though I know I prolly could...its just too fun a co-op boss and its so fun to help noobs that think its impossible etc. and be the "hero." I love to share that with others as the host I guess, but maybe I'll try a solo shot this round with the bows...I think I want the heavy crossbow upgraded first as well though.

ANyway two 12 hour shifts in a row end tonight so i iwill not have the energy, but it will be nice to crack a BEvERage and watch your latest video...vicarious play is almost as good!!!!?!?!??

Thanks man!

Yeah I usually solo them. I have a good idea how I'm going to approach them when I get to them soon. I also got my crossbow +15 and yeah, it's destroying stuff! It's underrated IMO. It's really refreshing to try a new style like this, sooooooo much fun just picking everything off!

Is it possible that a phantom did this? I suspect it might have to do with the summoned phantom (although I didn't summon anyone) who never appeared. I got 3000 souls when he killed a Royal Sentinel (or the blacksmith? :/) and then he left, didn't see him whatsoever.

Hackers can change their phantom / player status whenever they want. He could have invaded your game and then made himself the host so he could kill NPCs.

He also could have gone and killed Gwynevere; if he had, the game would have become unwinnable if you hadn't had a backup.

EasyMode

Hackers can change their phantom / player status whenever they want. He could have invaded your game and then made himself the host so he could kill NPCs.

He also could have gone and killed Gwynevere; if he had, the game would have become unwinnable if you hadn't had a backup.

Wow, I had no idea this was possible.

You guys should enable the automatic backup feature in DSFix if you haven't already. It will create a backup of your save every X minutes (25 by default I believe.)

Prodigal

Banned
Where would you guys recommend putting my sign down at around SL80 to help people with bosses? I need 7 sunlight medals to get those 2 miracles for my last achievement on PC!

Akito

Where would you guys recommend putting my sign down at around SL80 to help people with bosses? I need 7 sunlight medals to get those 2 miracles for my last achievement on PC!
Either in the last level or in front of the DLC bosses's rooms if you have it.

Prodigal

Banned
Either in the last level or in front of the DLC bosses's rooms if you have it.

Good call, thanks. Also are those medals tradeable? I only need 4 (possibly 7) but if anyone's up for it I'll trade anything I got for 'em. Add me (Battle At Sea) if it's doable.

Akito

Good call, thanks. Also are those medals tradeable? I only need 4 (possibly 7) but if anyone's up for it I'll trade anything I got for 'em. Add me (Battle At Sea) if it's doable.
Yeah, they are. I have like hundreds of them across all of my characters and I wouldn't mind give you some but it seems like you play the X360 version?

Dresden

What will happen if someone kills Gwynevere? Is it even possible (before the host acquired the Lordvessel)?

I think it is, if you just shoot her before talking/kneeling to accept the vessel. At that point you probably just acquire it automatically.

Top Bottom