• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

I think it is, if you just shoot her before talking/kneeling to accept the vessel. At that point you probably just acquire it automatically.
I'm sure I remember someone on here saying you get after defeating Gwyndolin in this case, in the empty chest?

Receiving it automatically seems more in line with the rest of the game, but I've never done it either.

upandaway

YOu do not appear to be overleveled....staying around 60-80 gives you good PVP options and keeps you within respectable power for a first playthrough. If you areally are that good though, most players of that pedigree will keep their characters low in the 25-30 range if they level at all. My no-upgrades SL1 run was one of the most fun thigns I have done in Dark souls....totally new game.

20 humanity can be acquired in a little over 20 minutes (basically one humanity a minute) by wearing the covetous serpent ring and having 5-10 humnaity in your ticker in the depths. DEFINITELY open the shortcut...if its your covenant, you want to do all the options within it. You can alsways not use the end result of the shortcut and go the long way arpound after, but there is a VERY IMPORTANT NPC that will NOT show up for you near the final battle of the game unless yuou open the shrotcut and speak with him PRIOR to setting foot in lost Izalith, which is impossible without opening the shortcut, therefore speak to all NPCs before setting foot just past the top of the stairs to the demon.... and go all the way to the brink of lost ixalith the regular way talking to all NPC's BUT DO NOT SET FOOT in lost IZALITH until you do via either path.....you will have to do other things before the NPC path is complete but you simply can not do it unles you open the shortcut......plus it gives you earlier access to an item useful in another world. Just kill all the bugs there fast before they get too far away from you and you will have no problems.

finally, you didn't ask really, but I will share that pyro is available to all charcters and it is unaffected by character leveling such that it is not in your best interest to ncessessarily stay as a pyro only for spells. MOst players choose one of either sorcery or faith to level alongside pyro if they like spells at all..you can finish your playthrough as a pyro only and that is fine, but it costs you nothing as a pyro to balance your attack with faith or sorcery as you can max pyro with souls and simply level your dex and either faith or sorcery. All my characters have at least 16 sorcery (start as sorcerer) in order to get the cool cloak and fun spells, then I usually move to faith. I always max pyro and have it ready for certain situations as there is absolutely no penalty for doing so...souls are easy to come by. WHich brings me to my final point:

You may wnat to try other covenants. MOst are faith based. Many have ot do with multiplayer. It costs yuou nothgin but souls again (and half of the amount of whatever you already gave them for an item) to swith out, swith back, collect the rewards of other covenants and return to the one you love. TBH you will be finsihed with the chaos once you open the shortcut... the rest of pyro is owing to queelna but she does not require you to be part of a covenant. YOu may also want to acquire a certain disease in the Demons ruins if you haven't already and speak to your friend near the chaos bonfire....this can occur outside of being in the covenant but it is a "pyro" thing to do.

Since you seem to be specializing in dex weapons you will at very least want to visit the forest covenant, speak to your "friends" once you join, then visit them in Blighttown where they will open a shop for you. THis shop is the only place where you can acquire my favourite weapon in the game ...it is a dex weapon to be sure (although others scale better) but even has historical reference to a real Japanese sword used in Japan by an authentic famous warror...it was one of the longest katanas on record in the world...teh game versio is no different and despite slightly lower dPS than other katans...other katakns feel like bringing a toothpick to a joust match comparitively...bigger is better....once you try one ...you never go back.
First of all thanks man.

You really scared me with the stuff about the NPC so uh, what exactly I need to do to not mess it up? I don't really care about spoilers if they're vague, just who to talk to.

About the covenants and faith/sorcery, I dunno man. I don't really like sorcery or miracles at all. There's something oddly fun in burning people and then skewering them with a spear with the spear/pyro combo. I shall call this combo The Shishkebab. Plus I don't really have more room for catalysts with the bow in the last spot, and miracles burn an attunement slot. The Forest Covenant seems ok, I'll think about it.

Prodigal

Banned
This is a dumb question, but can I donate Humanity to a covenant if it's already in that top left part of the screen? I guess that's considered "used" humanity.

2AdEPT

Where would you guys recommend putting my sign down at around SL80 to help people with bosses? I need 7 sunlight medals to get those 2 miracles for my last achievement on PC!
You can farm medals in the shortcut from demons to izalith..the bugs drop one per farm usually, sometimes more particuallry if you boost item discocery with coveotous serpent and humantoiy in the ticker.
First of all thanks man.

You really scared me with the stuff about the NPC so uh, what exactly I need to do to not mess it up? I don't really care about spoilers if they're vague, just who to talk to.

About the covenants and faith/sorcery, I dunno man. I don't really like sorcery or miracles at all. There's something oddly fun in burning people and then skewering them with a spear with the spear/pyro combo. I shall call this combo The Shishkebab. Plus I don't really have more room for catalysts with the bow in the last spot, and miracles burn an attunement slot. The Forest Covenant seems ok, I'll think about it.
It's solaire and very complex...I love having soliare around in whatever playthrough I can....but it is tedious. If you want you can check a wkik but it was never clear to me what to do other than "not" to set foot in lost izalith until the passage was open, centipede was down...talk to solaire in the foyer to lost izalith outside centipedde, then again inthe shortcut. then once he says "why" all the time you can finally go forth.

NOt sure you know what you are missing with faith and sorcery...there are ways around the problems you mention with slots...jsut equip what you need ahead of time and prepare in advance to swithch back and forth...you will do this when the time presents itslef regardless ....so just giving a heads up pre-emprtively.....like I said I ALWAYS get a maxed glove and pyro as you are right...it is fun to melt things with lava...particularly capra demon, SIF, and ornstein. BUt if it is devilishly fun to throw balls of fire around, must not it be GODLY to throw lightning? Once you apply sunlight or Darkmoon blade to your +15 katana you won't want to go back...plus how anyone can do Dark SOuls without doign a Skywalker build at least once is beyond me.....having that blue glowing sabre as if you were Darth himself, zapping people with elctricity (lightning bolts) or knocking them over with damage (Emit FOrce) is far too fun not to try. ....ans SERIOUSLY no one can call themselves a Dark SOuls enthusiast without trying the sorcery out, if not for the chamelon spell, at least for the signature sword of FROM softwares empire....its even referencesd in arnmoured core foer flips sake!!! There are at least 3 or four major enemies coming your way that are resistant to fire so it always pays to have a back up plan.
Can't believe I've never thought about or tried this, but can you copy a existing save into another slot before killing Ingward? Haven't used the game save manager yet myself. They need to at least patch this issue though, because it totally kills a really essential sequence break for players...

Edit: Haven't tried or heard anything yet, but did they introduce this into the recent console patch too? That would suck.

not sure about patches and the DSFIX does have some save options, but the way GSM works is that you have to back up when ever you feel like it and then ALL slots start from that sopt....pays to back up regulalry, but of course you could just before ingward and it would be a good deal for sure.

Alright I beat quelaag and trekked my way out of blighttown. I get to fire link and sit at the bonfire. Cool now I can get to sen fortress and get this man serpent sword. Oh wait. I forgot to ring the fricken bell. Shittttttttt.

man, coming back after two weeks afk has revitalised my love of dark souls. played for like an hour today with my sl10 darkwraith in-the-making and had a blast, cleaned up sen's in like 20 minutes and then one-shot the wandering demon with extreme prejudice.

Alright I beat quelaag and trekked my way out of blighttown. I get to fire link and sit at the bonfire. Cool now I can get to sen fortress and get this man serpent sword. Oh wait. I forgot to ring the fricken bell. Shittttttttt.

hahahahaha

I did this on one character too. I just attuned all my hard-hitting spells and blasted my way back as quickly as I could, then boned my way homeward.

upandaway

It's solaire and very complex...I love having soliare around in whatever playthrough I can....but it is tedious. If you want you can check a wkik but it was never clear to me what to do other than "not" to set foot in lost izalith until the passage was open, centipede was down...talk to solaire in the foyer to lost izalith outside centipedde, then again inthe shortcut. then once he says "why" all the time you can finally go forth.

NOt sure you know what you are missing with faith and sorcery...there are ways around the problems you mention with slots...jsut equip what you need ahead of time and prepare in advance to swithch back and forth...you will do this when the time presents itslef regardless ....so just giving a heads up pre-emprtively.....like I said I ALWAYS get a maxed glove and pyro as you are right...it is fun to melt things with lava...particularly capra demon, SIF, and ornstein. BUt if it is devilishly fun to throw balls of fire around, must not it be GODLY to throw lightning? Once you apply sunlight or Darkmoon blade to your +15 katana you won't want to go back...plus how anyone can do Dark SOuls without doign a Skywalker build at least once is beyond me.....having that blue glowing sabre as if you were Darth himself, zapping people with elctricity (lightning bolts) or knocking them over with damage (Emit FOrce) is far too fun not to try. ....ans SERIOUSLY no one can call themselves a Dark SOuls enthusiast without trying the sorcery out, if not for the chamelon spell, at least for the signature sword of FROM softwares empire....its even referencesd in arnmoured core foer flips sake!!! There are at least 3 or four major enemies coming your way that are resistant to fire so it always pays to have a back up plan.
I'm not shooting down anything. It's not my kinda pace to go headfirst into other stuff when I'm just getting comfortable with my setup. It took me like 45 hours to change away from Shulk in Xenoblade.

In any case you've convinced me to at least look at it in the future

zkylon

zkylewd
Happened to me in NG++. I only realized I forgotten to ring the bell when I beat the Gargoyle dudes, I ring the bell, and no cutscene lol...

So i killed seath at the crystal caves and i think i have seen most of the library, where to now???

You can head to a couple places off of Firelink, one being New Londo Ruins, and another is past the the graveyard, called the Catacombs. Unless you've been to these places already?

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Played through a decent amount of this game when it came out but never beat it before loaning it to someone. Getting back into it on PC and just rang the first bell. Was surprised to find a Summoning Sign for another player at like 8AM, so I guess the online community is doing okay on PC.

Not really looking forward to the Depths or Blighttown. Sort of just annoying sections, so I might wind up going a different direction.

Played through a decent amount of this game when it came out but never beat it before loaning it to someone. Getting back into it on PC and just rang the first bell. Was surprised to find a Summoning Sign for another player at like 8AM, so I guess the online community is doing okay on PC.

Not really looking forward to the Depths or Blighttown. Sort of just annoying sections, so I might wind up going a different direction.

Unfortunately blight town is the key to unlocking most of the other areas. You could go in the back way of blighttown and skip the depths if you have the master key though.

blighty with the master key is pretty quick though, and you do get to miss out on the really annoying parts. it's still worth doing a quick run around the bottom area if you come in the back door, but the stuff up on the walkways is mostly pretty situational and build-dependent.

This is in impulse buy range on Steam, tempted to get it right now.

Using DSfix, what is this game going to do to my 4GB RAM, Q6600, GTX 560 PC running at 1920x1080?

Czigga

This is in impulse buy range on Steam, tempted to get it right now.

Using DSfix, what is this game going to do to my 4GB RAM, Q6600, GTX 560 PC running at 1920x1080?

You will be fine. I run it at 1080 w/ 8gb ram, Radeon 4890 (pretty old gfx card, older than a 560). I do get SLIGHT slowdown at parts, but very temporary and not game affecting at all.

2AdEPT

Unfortunately blight town is the key to unlocking most of the other areas. You could go in the back way of blighttown and skip the depths if you have the master key though.

no master needed...although it is the easiest way.....just enter the valley through the dark root basin if you don't have the key...and run by the drakes with wooden shield raised.

This is the developer suggested way to go BTW...they were looking for "the path less traveled makes all the difference" with this game for sure.

no master needed...although it is the easiest way.....just enter the valley through the dark root basin if you don't have the key...and run by the drakes with wooden shield raised.

This is the developer suggested way to go BTW...they were looking for "the path less traveled makes all the difference" with this game for sure.

Didn't realize that. The back way helps a ton. Blight town wrecked me the first time I went thru the front. The second time I went the back way and breezed through.

And pinwheel was a joke. Easiest boss. Just rush and hit. Doesn't even stand a chance.

VandalD

This game is infuriating and magnificent. I've never played a game like this that made me be so cautious and alert. Overconfidence can easily lead to death. Sen's Fortress would have driven me crazy if I hadn't
looked up that there was another bonfire in the area. Having to do that entire area after every death against the Iron Golem would have been crushing. And that mimic. Holy shit. I'm hitting every chest first from now on.

I'm always wondering if I'm making the game harder than it should be - I'm still using the Scimitar, but it's upgraded to about +8. Just don't have the strength to use much else. Still using the Wanderer set I started with too. I'm just not sure if it's worth upgrading anything else when everything else is so far behind. Could wear heavier armor, but doesn't feel like something I want to do when you move so much slower.

upandaway

Just got to the Four Kings, got one-shotted 10 seconds in.
Second try, got them down to 6 (!!) centimeter-things of health left, and got one-shotted again. I was at almost full health.

What am I doing wrong here? It's that blue explosion attack. I shield every time. Sometimes it does half my health through the shield, and then it's twice now that it flat out one-shotted me.
I really feel I could have beaten them just now if it wasn't for that nonsense. I had like 3 flasks left and they were almost dead. I don't get it.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Hug their butts. I think otherwise they will us crazy magic on you. Dodge the grab thing.

That or you need better weapons/armor. It's pretty much a gearcheck.

upandaway

Hug their butts. I think otherwise they will us crazy magic on you. Dodge the grab thing.

That or you need better weapons/armor. It's pretty much a gearcheck.
I don't think it's armor since I'm decked out with the Havel ring.. and I didn't even use my spear ONCE the whole fight, pyro did everything.

If it's my shield (Spider+13) I'm screwed because I have literally nothing to upgrade a shield with.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Try the Power Within pyromancy, I think you find it in Blighttown.

Akito

I will never be able to do this ;_;
I just had to do it since I can't stand a gap in my armor collection. I had to make one more playthrough anyway since I didn't kill Ciaran as I met her so the decision was not too hard to make. He did kick my ass once so I guess it's fair game lol. The only thing I'm missing now is the Oolacile Catalyst, I have like a million bloated heads but the catalyst just won't get dropped.

cm osi

This game is infuriating and magnificent. I've never played a game like this that made me be so cautious and alert. Overconfidence can easily lead to death. Sen's Fortress would have driven me crazy if I hadn't
looked up that there was another bonfire in the area. Having to do that entire area after every death against the Iron Golem would have been crushing. And that mimic. Holy shit. I'm hitting every chest first from now on.

you can throw lyod talisman at mimic and they'll fall asleep, open their mouth and you can loot their drop.
i don't know if mimic has 100% drop but i prefer that way

zkylon

zkylewd
I just had to do it since I can't stand a gap in my armor collection. I had to make one more playthrough anyway since I didn't kill Ciaran as I met her so the decision was not too hard to make. He did kick my ass once so I guess it's fair game lol. The only thing I'm missing now is the Oolacile Catalyst, I have like a million bloated heads but the catalyst just won't get dropped.
I'm still glad there's an empty spot for Solaire's armor in my inventory that will never be filled. Sunbros for life!

2AdEPT

I'm always wondering if I'm making the game harder than it should be - I'm still using the Scimitar, but it's upgraded to about +8. Just don't have the strength to use much else. Still using the Wanderer set I started with too. I'm just not sure if it's worth upgrading anything else when everything else is so far behind. Could wear heavier armor, but doesn't feel like something I want to do when you move so much slower.
all the mimic chests have a straight chain...the normal ones have a curved chain. Yeah you can upgrade both those weapons and armour....the wanderers set is ok but for mid range the best is logans and crimson. you can throw on gold hemmed anytime you need fire resist and it is by far the best in teh game....the antiquated skirt was nerfed, but it still has the best magic protect for under logans....that and the xanthous set (xanthous is really light for its defense...more bang for buck.) That shoudl be enough...if not you start getting into havel ring territory,,,you should never have to lose your fast roll, but throwing on one pieveof heavier armour like Kirks siked armour or the silver knight armour adn keeping all else light is an alternative.

I never liked the scimitar move set....washing pole is the best weapon in the game IMO for several reasons including a combination of average DPS, best movesets and best range.Keep in mind you can two hand weapons with strength requirements ( I have never used washing pole with its strength requirement filled...just stay at 16 or whatever I need to two hand it.)
I don't think it's armor since I'm decked out with the Havel ring.. and I didn't even use my spear ONCE the whole fight, pyro did everything.

If it's my shield (Spider+13) I'm screwed because I have literally nothing to upgrade a shield with.
I realize you beat them with power within, but magic defense is important for them and the blue explosion in particular...you can dodge it but armour with high magic resist (havels, antiquated skirt, crimson, xanthous, logans) and the crest shield (even base with no upgrades) is better than spider shield or any other for magic blasts....learn to sub out your shields and armour pieces for the situation...I know is tough for some to do this, but there is no rule you have to stay with the same arnour and shield the whole game!!!
Anyone wanna jump in and help out on Nito and 4 Kings? Then warping to DLC and taking care of the guardian?
I'm on PC SL50

Did you find anyone?....you can friend/message me my handle is AdEPTerik

Anyone playing on a system with similar specs to this?

e8200 @ 3.2GHz
4GB DDR2 RAM
HD5770
1680x1050 native resolution

What kind of performance are you getting?

Lach

Yes!!!!
I (almost) cleared Sen's Fortress (only boss left). Need to find humanity to summon an NPC or another player. Was a real son of a bitch with all those traps but it helped me to overcome those incredible moments of frustration.

[edit] Beat him. Not as difficult as I thought after reading his attacks. Fell down a few times but that was pure stupidity. Now I'm off to Anor Londo....

Ledsen

Bed of chaps was such bullshit with a dex build. Had to resort to 2-handing a greatshield to get past the stupid sweeping broom. In the end he gently pushed me down to land on the path to the heart, so joke's on him.

Finally bought this game in the Steam sales. Played through the first area and then ran as fast as I could through New Londo Ruins.

I can't wait to play it properly for the first time tomorrow evening. Any starting advice?

Dresden

Finally bought this game in the Steam sales. Played through the first area and then ran as fast as I could through New Londo Ruins.

I can't wait to play it properly for the first time tomorrow evening. Any starting advice?

You went to New Londo a bit too early but that's fine, the game is open for a reason.

Just keep in mind when playing that

1. raising your vit/end early on pays off all through the game

2. focus on a single damage stat (str, dex, int, faith) for maximum results

3. keep your weapons upgraded.

And if you have a hard time with a boss, plop down a white soapstone and help others for free practice and souls.

Ledsen

Talk to every npc multiple times. Try different weapons, use the one you like best. They're all good, even the starting ones. Upgrade upgrade upgrade. Don't use a walkthrough, just read about the basics.

Caerith

You get more bang for your buck by spending souls on upgrades (esp. weapon) than on levels.

There's nothing that can't be beaten at level 1 if you're prepared correctly; if anything ever seems harder than it has to be, you're taking the wrong approach.

Master the basics to master the game. Learn to parry, learn to kick, learn your weapons' movesets, know how fast your weapon swings and what its range is.

Take your time. Don't consult a guide or walkthrough-- I don't just say that so you get "the real experience" of Dark Souls, I say it because you'll do much better if you learn to pay attention and take things deliberately. Dark Souls isn't really a hard game-- the greatest enemy is yourself.

Having a weird issue now.. I can equip things to my left hand, and it will show up on the equipment screen, but outside the equipment screen it perpetually acts as if there's nothing in my left hand. What's going on with that?

I made so much progress yesterday in first playthrough of Dark Souls. I started off at the knight archer part of Anor Londo and finally cleared it after about 10 deaths. Then I proceeded to beat
Smough & Ornstein
on the first try. I didn't watch any videos or read any walkthroughs, as I want this to be a completely fresh and nerve-wracking experience.

After that I headed off to New Londo and was killed by
ghosts
a handful of times while figuring out the area. I finally reached the
Abyss
. What an incredible moment in this game. Aesthetically, the areas in this game progressively become more and more bleak. This is where that comes to a head. I jumped in without a certain required item and died immediately. When I finally made it to the bottom alive it was no less horrifying. People talk about the sensation from falling to your death in Mirror's Edge, but in this game it just made me want to vomit and cry. Somebody turn on the fucking lights, please! Anyways, that moment really impressed me. What a sickeningly beautiful game.

After my botched attempt to reach the
Abyss
I headed off to fight the keeper of the item I needed to make my descent.
Sif
was pretty easy, with me not having to use many Estus Flasks at all.

Back to New Londo! Having shortcuts available made my trip back to the
Abyss
easy. The destination was much more of a challenge than the journey there. My mind was so full of fuck at this point. A blurred figure stood in the blackness. This is one of the
Four Kings
that I've heard so much about. If I ever wanted to cry playing a video game, this would be the moment. Total darkness, and a horrifying, sinewy creature slowly nearing me. And there would be more, as I would have suspected with a boss named
Four Kings
. I entered the battle with eight +4 Estus flasks and left with none, but managed to survive the fight thanks to Havel's set and a large pool of stamina. By the end of the fight I was shaking, still having no earthly idea as to what the fuck was happening.

Then the bunny man appeared and began to further blow my mind with Dark Soul's trademarked cryptic NPC monologues. I placed the
Lordvessel
, headed towards the Duke's Archives, and decided that was enough Dark Souls for one day. In the Xbox version I had made it up to Sen's Fortress before giving up with what I believed to be a severely underpowered character. So this playthrough on PC I have gone all-in as a tank with (most of) Havel's set. I'm looking forward to going back to hell tonight.

SPOILER IMAGE BELOW (after the
Abyss
):

SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

Top Bottom