• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

zkylon

zkylewd
Anyone know why I rarely get invaded, can't seem to summon human phantoms and am never summoned?

I've been lurking in the Depths with Solaire and Lautrec, farming slimes and what not. Then this happened. Solaire didn't follow me up the stairs to bonfire slimes. Oh well, Lautrec and I were more than capable of taking them all. We meet Solaire on the way back down... On the stairs... He blocked my exit... Lautrec blocked my path back up. :mad:

I was so close to getting out, but at the end I had to Black Crystal. -_- Stupid NPC phantoms.
lol, maybe just exiting your save and reloading?

Also, Sen's Fortress is boss.

Mephala

I believe fiddling with your NAT settings or something will help with the invasions/summons, but to be honest I rarely see other players either.

My NAT is open, UPnP is enabled. I'm forwarding the ports at the moment. I've having an issue with that though, I'm trying to forward the ports for GFWL, however they seem to coincide with XBL ports. My router doesn't want to allow me to forward the ports to both my PC and my 360. :(
Anybody know of a solution to this? I'd rather not have to go into my router settings everytime I want to play one or the other.

lol, maybe just exiting your save and reloading?

Also, Sen's Fortress is boss.

I tried that! First thing i tried actually. I seriously wished someone invaded me. I actually felt quite safe huddled between those two.

zkylon

zkylewd
My NAT is open, UPnP is enabled. I'm forwarding the ports at the moment. I've having an issue with that though, I'm trying to forward the ports for GFWL, however they seem to coincide with XBL ports. My router doesn't want to allow me to forward the ports to both my PC and my 360. :(
Anybody know of a solution to this? I'd rather not have to go into my router settings everytime I want to play one or the other.
I've had little luck invading/summoning/getting either myself, specially outside of high transit areas like Anor Londo and Oolacile Township. We knew the game was DOA when they decided to go GFWL but it's still really depressing...

I tried enabling UPnP, forwarding the ports, etc. myself and I feel it actually made it worse, so I went back and managed to get a few invades going.

I tried that! First thing i tried actually. I seriously wished someone invaded me. I actually felt quite safe huddled between those two.
lol, I dunno if I'd ever feel safe cornered by Lautrec, white phantom or not :p

Mephala

I've had little luck invading/summoning/getting either myself, specially outside of high transit areas like Anor Londo and Oolacile Township. We knew the game was DOA when they decided to go GFWL but it's still really depressing...

I tried enabling UPnP, forwarding the ports, etc. myself and I feel it actually made it worse, so I went back and managed to get a few invades going.

lol, I dunno if I'd ever feel safe cornered by Lautrec, white phantom or not :p

Not sure what you mean by DOA but that is really depressing news if forwarding the ports do not work. I sat around Gargoyles for over 50 minutes with my white sign. All I wanted was a few quick co-ops so I can get into the Sunlight Covenant and get my Lightning Spear miracle. I see the shadows running around and/or standing by the boss door, I see bloodstains and still nothing. I tried summoning someone for Gaping Dragon and the nothing happens. Then the sign reappears, I try summoning again and nothing. :(

Running around everywhere as human and not a single invasion aside from Kirk (who was promptly butchered by Lautrec and Solaire). This makes me almost regret buying. :(

Caerith

Not sure what you mean by DOA but that is really depressing news if forwarding the ports do not work. I sat around Gargoyles for over 50 minutes with my white sign. All I wanted was a few quick co-ops so I can get into the Sunlight Covenant and get my Lightning Spear miracle. I see the shadows running around and/or standing by the boss door, I see bloodstains and still nothing. I tried summoning someone for Gaping Dragon and the nothing happens. Then the sign reappears, I try summoning again and nothing. :(

Running around everywhere as human and not a single invasion aside from Kirk (who was promptly butchered by Lautrec and Solaire). This makes me almost regret buying. :(
I've encountered one level 5 invader (twice), a white phantom in Burg (pre-Taurus), a gravelord, and a dragon sign. I've seen a handful of ghosts-- one or two in Sen's and Anor Londo (might be the same guy), a handful in Parish and Depths, and I sometimes see people at the bonfires. I see a lot of orange signs.

Right now I'm SL1 though, so I don't really expect a lot in the way of co-op or invasions. Humanity is kinda hard to come by as well, so I don't really run around in human form except when when I need an NPC phantom.

Is anyone seeing a lot of co-op or invasion action on the PC? Is the multiplayer dead or do the lonely souls just need to change network settings or something?

Mephala

Dead On Arrival.

Don't regret it, though a damn fucking shame, the game's amazing regardless.

The regret comes from already owning and beating the game on 360. I didn't get AoTA on the 360 in favor of the DSFix and re-playing with my PC friends/family. But if we can't even summon phantoms or invade then I really can't help but feel regret. Such a fucking great game only to have a shitty problem like this. I suppose I still have the Artorias content to look forward to. And everytime I take notice of the graphics I swoon a bit. But still... Such a shame.

I've encountered one level 5 invader (twice), a white phantom in Burg (pre-Taurus), a gravelord, and a dragon sign. I've seen a handful of ghosts-- one or two in Sen's and Anor Londo (might be the same guy), a handful in Parish and Depths, and I sometimes see people at the bonfires. I see a lot of orange signs.

Right now I'm SL1 though, so I don't really expect a lot in the way of co-op or invasions. Humanity is kinda hard to come by as well, so I don't really run around in human form except when when I need an NPC phantom.

Is anyone seeing a lot of co-op or invasion action on the PC? Is the multiplayer dead or do the lonely souls just need to change network settings or something?

I see signs, I see messages. Everything looks the same (online functionality wise) as my 360 experience except when trying to connect. I've used some red eye orbs and I just don't get sent into other's worlds. I really do hope it is just some network settings.

Ledsen

Try reading some of the item's descriptions.

Or just explore more.

No need to be condescending. Exploring or reading doesn't help me find Darkmoon Covenant and I don't see how one could find TGH simply by "exploring" unless there happens to be a player message pointing out what you need to do. Many of these secrets are extremely hard to find by yourself even if you explore meticulously (like I try to do), and I was simply curious to see if anyone had or if 99% of players had to get help online like me.

Many of these secrets are extremely hard to find by yourself even if you explore meticulously (like I try to do), and I was simply curious to see if anyone had or if 99% of players had to get help online like me.
I FAQ-ed the shit out of this game, youtube too - I'm not hugely concerned about spoilers though, by the time I played it I'd forgotten most of what I'd seen in videos. I didn't even find the Tranquil Walk of Peace miracle until very recently and I've logged hundreds of hours in the game with countless characters.

Things are explained, but not directly like 99% of games, there are still people coming to the game fresh and asking in these threads what humanity and kindling do etc, so the game is in no way transparent about what it wants you to do with everything.

Mephala

No need to be condescending. Exploring or reading doesn't help me find Darkmoon Covenant and I don't see how one could find TGH simply by "exploring" unless there happens to be a player message pointing out what you need to do. Many of these secrets are extremely hard to find by yourself even if you explore meticulously (like I try to do), and I was simply curious to see if anyone had or if 99% of players had to get help online like me.

On my very first playthrough which was entirely offline so I had not even friendly messages with tips or traps I discovered the path to TGH. I loathed
Blightown so I didn't fully explore it. When I came back to do so it was after Anor Londo which is after Sen's Fortress with a certain chest containing a lovely spear. Any ways, when exploring I discovered the hidden path because I was paranoid about being eaten so started moving behind every chest before swinging wildly. When the first wall disappeared and I came to that crappy shield I took a guess there was something more and started bashing my weapon all over the place. (I then added attacking suspicious walls to the list of peculiar things I do in this game.)
For Darkmoon I found the bonfire and warped back there with the ring when I found it since I recognised the name. I
was kicked out as soon as I joined since I went straight into the fog wall. >_> but I did find it!
I didn't wait long enough pretending to be an egg to return to the Asylum. I didn't find the Chaos Covenant. I missed a fair bit in my first playthrough but I think playing online would have solved this, "Try Rolling". Laurentius.... :( I knew I missed a few things though, such as an item or switch for the giant painting that I could examine in Anor Londo.
Didn't find Dusk either, never went back to that area after killing the miniboss there. I missed the most items in Tomb of The Giants. That place had me shit scared. Fuck the treasure I'm happy to make it to the other side. I didn't even find the first bonfire there. There are probably items in the lava in Lost Izalith that I never found because I never explored the area. I'll probably never find those items either.

But on consoles you wouldn't be able to get great mods such as these: http://darksouls.nexusmods.com/mods/211/

That is amazing. It is also the now the most expensive banana I have purchased in my life.

Update on my network woes: Forwarded all ports recommended on steamforums for GFWL and Dark Souls. Booted up, found shiny gold sign. Summon and got the summoning message. Everything going well until my game started slowing then i got kicked offline with a message saying "Insufficient frame rate" or something. Googled around and fiddled a bit here and there and was about to start it up and try my luck again...
Cannot load save data...
Well... I give up... :(
For tonight. :)

Yes!

After failing so many times and giving up last night, I've defeated the two gargoyles on my first try tonight. It feels so good.

Now where to go next. (Don't tell me!)

doing a SL1 no upgrades no summons run. hit my first wall at quelaag, since fire won't work and i've been relying a lot on firebombs and charcoal resin. took a few tries to get the fight pattern down for melee.

it's funny, i've beaten this game 5 times already, and i haven't really learned a lot of the boss strategies until now - i could just power through them with the right equipment and spells. i made a point to go for the rite of kindling first thing when starting, so that pinwheel would be an actual boss fight.

no upgrades makes it feel totally different.

vidcons

Banned
Why is there nobody in the depths for summoning. Actually, the first half of the game seems to be dead. This sucks.

How is the added multiplayer support in the new areas?

Soulhouf

doing a SL1 no upgrades no summons run. hit my first wall at quelaag, since fire won't work and i've been relying a lot on firebombs and charcoal resin. took a few tries to get the fight pattern down for melee.

it's funny, i've beaten this game 5 times already, and i haven't really learned a lot of the boss strategies until now - i could just power through them with the right equipment and spells. i made a point to go for the rite of kindling first thing when starting, so that pinwheel would be an actual boss fight.

Right?
I did a SL1 no upgrade run as well and I can tell that it was my best Dark Souls experience.
You have really to be careful, learn every boss's pattern and use everything you have.
Every single boss fight becomes a threat, even Pinwheel...
The real wall I hit was 4 Kings. It took me like 50 tries before I beat them and ultimately managed to beat the game.
Don't under estimate the reinforced club. Even unupgraded, when you 2H it, most of the enemies will flinch in 1-2 hits, which gives you time to recharge your stamina.

Good luck!

@vidcons: are you playing the PS3 version?

vidcons

Banned
PC. Beat it on my own.

Now I'm trying to help people out on Spider Queen but the same guy keeps summoning me and dying like a fool.

LIKE A FOOL

Ledsen

If any new players or non-PS3 owners wanted to check out what they missed in Demon's Souls, ENB just started a new playthrough series on his youtube channel - good player and lots of geeky talk about lore etc: http://www.youtube.com/user/EpicNameBro?feature=watch

Squint has already made an completely amazing informative 100% Let's Play of Demon's Souls for those who want to watch right now. One of the best LP's I've ever seen to be honest. The only bummer is the low res on the videos :(

Akito

Speaking of Let's Play, I really dig the no level up NG+7 run by Emarrel. His play style is awesome as he makes everything looks like a cakewalk. He's got a fine sense of humor too. I've learned some new cool tricks from it, especially the sniping with the crossbow (see Part 10).

2AdEPT

COngrats on a great find. I really maintain that SL1 without no upgrades is basically the same game as normal b/c if you allow the same fully upgraded equipment and OHK everything what is the difference if you have less stamina and health?

I used the light crossbow on queelag....took a while, but no AOE mistakes etc. SL1noUP TOTG was the most fun I have had in the game yet....especially b/c I screwed up and went looking fo rthe Sanctus PRIOR to getting the Lordvessel and as such trapped myself down there as soon as I touched the bonfires....(I didn't know there was darksign or whatever to go back to Firelink.)

THink about it. Even with the skull lantern, pyro, and I had enough humanity to get 10 estus, to not only make it back out of TOTG to the pinwheel area, but then to endure pinwheels (I didn't open the Blacksmith area) and skellies etc. with hardly enough estus (with low vit you go through estus much faster, basicaly one per hit) it was brow beating for sure....

I finally did it by:
running by all things in TOTG and not usiung any pyro. THis was hard but what I did to the giant skellies on the ledge back up was to aggro them then break for the down ladder...I sat on the ladder and they jumped down after me...then I climbed back up and out. Trying to fight them took me down to low pyro and estus at best...died many times even just trying to fight them.

learned how to draw out the bonewheel skellies one at a time with the bow, dodge just as they arrive, then pound them with the club in the back. this wouldn't have happended if it were not for the no upgrade rules.

Soulhouf

COngrats on a great find. I really maintain that SL1 without no upgrades is basically the same game as normal b/c if you allow the same fully upgraded equipment and OHK everything what is the difference if you have less stamina and health?

I used the light crossbow on queelag....took a while, but no AOE mistakes etc. SL1noUP TOTG was the most fun I have had in the game yet....especially b/c I screwed up and went looking fo rthe Sanctus PRIOR to getting the Lordvessel and as such trapped myself down there as soon as I touched the bonfires....(I didn't know there was darksign or whatever to go back to Firelink.)

THink about it. Even with the skull lantern, pyro, and I had enough humanity to get 10 estus, to not only make it back out of TOTG to the pinwheel area, but then to endure pinwheels (I didn't open the Blacksmith area) and skellies etc. with hardly enough estus (with low vit you go through estus much faster, basicaly one per hit) it was brow beating for sure....

I finally did it by:
running by all things in TOTG and not usiung any pyro. THis was hard but what I did to the giant skellies on the ledge back up was to aggro them then break for the down ladder...I sat on the ladder and they jumped down after me...then I climbed back up and out. Trying to fight them took me down to low pyro and estus at best...died many times even just trying to fight them.

learned how to draw out the bonewheel skellies one at a time with the bow, dodge just as they arrive, then pound them with the club in the back. this wouldn't have happended if it were not for the no upgrade rules.

Did you manage to beat the game?

Unfortunately Sanctus isn't a good idea. The HP regen is so slow that it isn't worth using it. It's nothing compared to the Adjucator shield (Demon's Souls) which is on the other hand awesome if you upgrade it.

no upgrades definitely changes the game drastically. O&S took around 15 tries before i solo'd them. now i'm considering whether killing the giant blacksmith and taking his hammer to 2-hand would be breaking the rules or not...

2AdEPT

Did you manage to beat the game?

Unfortunately Sanctus isn't a good idea. The HP regen is so slow that it isn't worth using it. It's nothing compared to the Adjucator shield (Demon's Souls) which is on the other hand awesome if you upgrade it.

nope. I definitely want to try to finish it but I got a new PC in August (2560x1440 ISP monitor, GTX 680 lightning/i73770/SSD) and got into the P2D edition full throttle...i am currently still doing a bows only with the P2D edition and soon I need a souls break to get my backlog of Batman, Withcher 2 Iorveth path, and GUild Wars on PC.

I always come back to souls and there will be time to do it when the wait for Dark FOrrest becomes too painstaking.

THat's too bad that the sanctus no-upgraded is crap...I was hoping to hyper mode my character with a combo of red tearstone, dusk ring/bellowcrest depending on situation, and power within...the tearstone and the powerwithin drain don't mix too well but shouldn't the sanctus help at the same rate that the power within hurts at as both are operating as no upgrade level rates????

I've seen invader vidoes where they use the set up but obviously as fully upgraded characters...the one using karmic justice that was posted on here was boss. I'm more of a helper than a griefer, but may have to try the 'suicide bomber' build before too long as well....lots still to do and approaching 1500 hours of souls!!!!

no upgrades definitely changes the game drastically. O&S took around 15 tries before i solo'd them. now i'm considering whether killing the giant blacksmith and taking his hammer to 2-hand would be breaking the rules or not...

of course its not a rule violation, at least not for me...I enjoy the 'use whatever you find just don't upgrade it' idea so that you can still use as many of the search items as possible. I killed Andre almost immediately as you won't need him for a noUP character........its just that if you allow downgrades, which indeed I do, you can downgrade the occult club to divine, use it on skellies in catacombs etc, but it becomes the best weapon you can get for SL1noUP. Soulhof and I disagree on this but two quick R1 hits on O&S with the divine club beat out the charcoal buffed 1 hit jump R2 of reinforced club for me.....but he does have a point that in other areas the buffability and potential for bleed are positives for the reinforced club. THe hammer is ok but correct me ifI'm wrong....does it beat either of the two mentioned here...am I missing something???

ArynCrinn

Banned
nope. I definitely want to try to finish it but I got a new PC in August (2560x1440 ISP monitor, GTX 680 lightning/i73770/SSD) and got into the P2D edition full throttle...i am currently still doing a bows only with the P2D edition and soon I need a souls break to get my backlog of Batman, Withcher 2 Iorveth path, and GUild Wars on PC.

I always come back to souls and there will be time to do it when the wait for Dark FOrrest becomes too painstaking.

THat's too bad that the sanctus no-upgraded is crap...I was hoping to hyper mode my character with a combo of red tearstone, dusk ring/bellowcrest depending on situation, and power within...the tearstone and the powerwithin drain don't mix too well but shouldn't the sanctus help at the same rate that the power within hurts at as both are operating as no upgrade level rates????

I've seen invader vidoes where they use the set up but obviously as fully upgraded characters...the one using karmic justice that was posted on here was boss. I'm more of a helper than a griefer, but may have to try the 'suicide bomber' build before too long as well....lots still to do and approaching 1500 hours of souls!!!!

of course its not a rule violation, at least not for me...I enjoy the 'use whatever you find just don't upgrade it' idea so that you can still use as many of the search items as possible. I killed Andre almost immediately as you won't need him for a noUP character........its just that if you allow downgrades, which indeed I do, you can downgrade the occult club to divine, use it on skellies in catacombs etc, but it becomes the best weapon you can get for SL1noUP. Soulhof and I disagree on this but two quick R1 hits on O&S with the divine club beat out the charcoal buffed 1 hit jump R2 of reinforced club for me.....but he does have a point that in other areas the buffability and potential for bleed are positives for the reinforced club. THe hammer is ok but correct me ifI'm wrong....does it beat either of the two mentioned here...am I missing something???

I'll be attempting a SL1-5 no upgrade run using only base class starting gear through the whole game, after I beat it at base SL (with upgrades).

But there's a few tedious bosses HP-wise at base SL, especially if you do what I do and don't over upgrade or go out of your way to upgrade. One of those is Stray Demon, even with a +5 Longsword and Charcoal resin he takes forever to shave his health down, and you need to avoid his magic at all costs. I mostly just upgrade as I go along the normal path with practical upgrades and heavily use Red Tearstone.

I can't use my wireless 360 controller. The home button works, but everything else is unresponsive, and it works in every other game. I think it's because I installed dsmfix (the mouse fix) - I don't know why I bothered. I've tried disabling it via the GUI, resetting dinput8dllWrapper in dsfix (then the game doesn't load), and just deleting it (also doesn't load). What do I do?

THe hammer is ok but correct me ifI'm wrong....does it beat either of the two mentioned here...am I missing something???
it does 120 physical /200 lightning, swings fairly fast with R1 2-handed, and still has a jumping R2 stagger like the reinforced club...seems like it's easily the best weapon damage-wise for a no-upgrade run.

i used it to take out the stray demon pretty quickly. i don't think i was doing damage fast enough with the reinforced club for the bleed to kick in.

Soulhouf

Unfortunately upgrading Sanctus will do nothing. The HP regen is so slow and doesn't work with power within.
I was hoping they would fix that shield in the last patch but they didn't :(

@scissorfight: during my no upgrade run I used the giant blacksmith hammer as a last resort against 4 Kings after like 50 failed attempts because I couldn't beat them otherwise.
I beat every other boss without using that weapon though.

upandaway

I can't use my wireless 360 controller. The home button works, but everything else is unresponsive, and it works in every other game. I think it's because I installed dsmfix (the mouse fix) - I don't know why I bothered. I've tried disabling it via the GUI, resetting dinput8dllWrapper in dsfix (then the game doesn't load), and just deleting it (also doesn't load). What do I do?
That sounds like you have another controller plugged into the computer. My 360 controller (wired, even) acts the same way whenever I plug in another USB controller. Doesn't matter which order I plug both in, doesn't matter which is default, the 360 always loses out in DS.

@scissorfight: during my no upgrade run I used the giant blacksmith hammer as a last resort against 4 Kings after like 50 failed attempts because I couldn't beat them otherwise.
it does seem a bit too strong compared to everything up to that point.

i decided to try it out on some of the optional bosses since i'm not skipping anything in this run.

...except the sanctuary guardian, since he's resistant. managed to beat him without getting hit, though. took a while.

2AdEPT

it does 120 physical /200 lightning, swings fairly fast with R1 2-handed, and still has a jumping R2 stagger like the reinforced club...seems like it's easily the best weapon damage-wise for a no-upgrade run.

i used it to take out the stray demon pretty quickly. i don't think i was doing damage fast enough with the reinforced club for the bleed to kick in.

Ha!!!! I didn't realize you get lightnign from it.....

2AdEPT

Unfortunately upgrading Sanctus will do nothing. The HP regen is so slow and doesn't work with power within.
I was hoping they would fix that shield in the last patch but they didn't :(

RE: Sanctus - realize that it may not meet the drai of of power wihin but whne tyring to hypermode I have seen guys do it on you tube and seems to have at least some effect...long enough that they can do their Karmic Justice Bomb suicide etc. I think if timed right, somethign is better than nothing...will try it out myself and report back....

Re: Adre hammer - yeah that's funny I didn't even equip it much and missed that it has lightning...it would be very hard to allow it for a no-upgrade run as it is too powerful compared to anythign else you can find..differnt ball park....I previously didn't mind the occult club downgraded to divine, because it is pretty clolse to reinforced club (just kills skellies dead in catacombs/nito) but might have ot axe that one as well...each to their own I guess?

I'll be attempting a SL1-5 no upgrade run using only base class starting gear through the whole game, after I beat it at base SL (with upgrades).

But there's a few tedious bosses HP-wise at base SL, especially if you do what I do and don't over upgrade or go out of your way to upgrade. One of those is Stray Demon, even with a +5 Longsword and Charcoal resin he takes forever to shave his health down, and you need to avoid his magic at all costs. I mostly just upgrade as I go along the normal path with practical upgrades and heavily use Red Tearstone.

WEll yeah I didn't even do stary demon as he wasn't important anylonger since the slab is useless in SL1noUP. However, he is a 1maybe2HK kind of boss anyway and realistically can be fought without losing any health once you estus after the drop....so hyper mode is viable....don't just do red tearstone....stack that with power within, and pyro with the bellowing dragon crest and/or dusk ring. The dusk ring gives extra uses so that if you noramlly bring 12 fireballs or 8 orbs...all of a sudden you get 24 fireballs or 16 orbs!!!! I tcuts your health in half but with Terastone running that is not an issue regardless. THis usually beats out hte damage you can do and therfore decreases overall time...despite that you get som epretty decent chiunks of health reduction form the bellowing dragoncrest, dusk crown, and 4 chaos freballs...still is better than 8 chaos balls IIRC as well.

ANd when all else fails...black firebombs are boss..what else have you go tto spend your souls on? ALso I would think that despite it taking a long time, the cross bow could be useful for stray demon as it takes lots of energy to get outside of the AOE range and this would be easier while just keeping range.

I am not into masochism....quite the contrary I allow whatever cheese method you can devise as long is its SL1noUP. I beleive it was Sullichin that tred a SL2priest and used the mace etc. but even with that subtle difference I think you get a few more weapons that you can no even hold properly at SL1....and I don't think he limited himself to noUP.

Poking my head in here to ask (because I don't know where else to ask)...Is this on sale anywhere?

i beleive its on sale on steam right now as we speak???

Binabik15

Got my 20€ physical version from zavvi. That artbook is so cuuuute!

I'm visiting my family, should I install it on my bros pc or not? Internet here is painfully slow and has GfWL machine/activation limits? Cloud saving on Steam?

Defuser

lol, I got a my BK halberd mega early and upgraded it to +4 before I even beat the gargoyles. Both of them died with less than 10 seconds within 3 hits total lol.

Mephala

I seem to be able to invade/summon properly now. Not sure what all the problems were before, I still get the occasional failed to summon but it is only 1/5 times I try now.

I shiver every time I see this scene. There is a reason I take the jump from Fire Link every time afterwards. That is creepy and doesn't feel safe at all.
lWNal.jpg

Mephala

Smough & Ornstein. Can kill one no problem, but the second one...

I use the Eagle Shield and hide behind pillars when I need to use the Estus Flask. The second form kills me too easily if I'm careless. Both have attacks that can one hit kill me, Smough can crush my guard and still kill me in one hit so I take a long time playing ultra safe.

ElFly

If you have magic (no pyromancy, actual magic), go for smough first, then dance around a pillar with Giant Ornstein while blasting him with magic.

Otherwise, go for Ornstein first, then just keep away from Giant Smough and only hit him after he does the butt slam. Don't lock onto him, so you can turn around and run like hell if you see him charging.

Dresden

As is the case for most problems in Dark Souls, go light and roll fast.

Kill Orny first, then destroy Smough. A lot of his attacks are telegraphed to hell and back so you can easily dodge -> punish. Be patient, and try putting down a white soapstone for some practice.

Caerith

As is the case for most problems in Dark Souls, go light and roll fast.

Kill Orny first, then destroy Smough. A lot of his attacks are telegraphed to hell and back so you can easily dodge -> punish. Be patient, and try putting down a white soapstone for some practice.
Aye, been rolling like crazy but not doing a whole lot of damage to the second form of either.

What's the typical level range for Anor Londo in NG?

That sounds like you have another controller plugged into the computer. My 360 controller (wired, even) acts the same way whenever I plug in another USB controller. Doesn't matter which order I plug both in, doesn't matter which is default, the 360 always loses out in DS.
I swear that I don't have another controller plugged in. Just my wireless adapter, mouse and keyboard.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I got invaded for the first time today right as I entered The Depths. Didn't see the guy around anywhere but I figured it'd be bad news if I ran into him. I looked for the quit option because I am a baby but nope, grayed out. I hid in a corner for a good while before cautiously running away back to the entrance. Fog blocked my way out but there it was, a summoning sign that was probably my only hope.

Just as the words "Summoning Failed" popped up the red invader rolled up the stairs, sporting bulbous armor and some dragon helmet. He was wielding some giant club in one hand that completely embarrassed my little Estoc. Somehow I lived long enough to roll around for a fair amount of time and stayed alive long enough to find out I could poke him for thirty damage while he spit fire that filled the room.

It was...kind of a funny experience. I don't even mind dying in a situation like that, though I wish I'd gotten a backstab in to see how much damage I could even do to him.

Top Bottom