• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Lach

Finally got to play again today after I had reached Anor Londo last weekend.
Did some exploring today. Not as difficult as I expected (maybe it's just that I got used to dying all the time) :). Especially the interior of the castle. The Silver Knights are quite fair and I just hit every chest to avoid falling into mimic traps.

I finally get what all the people are on about the Archers. Those SOB's

I reached the Giant Blacksmith and got some upgrades. I guess it's S&O through the mist in the great hall with the archer and those two giants. Will need to find some humanity to summon some help.

[edit] AAAAAARRGH! I FUCKING HATE HATE THIS GAME! Finally found a humanity, got rid of the sentries and the archer in the hall. Was looking for another sign when I got invaded! Of course he killed me! Now I'm can't summon again..

Caerith

Finally got to play again today after I had reached Anor Londo last weekend.
Did some exploring today. Not as difficult as I expected (maybe it's just that I got used to dying all the time) :). Especially the interior of the castle. The Silver Knights are quite fair and I just hit every chest to avoid falling into mimic traps.

I finally get what all the people are on about the Archers. Those SOB's

I reached the Giant Blacksmith and got some upgrades. I guess it's S&O through the mist in the great hall with the archer and those two giants. Will need to find some humanity to summon some help.

[edit] AAAAAARRGH! I FUCKING HATE HATE THIS GAME! Finally found a humanity, got rid of the sentries and the archer in the hall. Was looking for another sign when I got invaded! Of course he killed me! Now I'm can't summon again..
Well, you could always backtrack to the Depths, equip your covetous gold ring (from Sen's), and farm rats near the bonfire. You should be able to get 10+ humanity in an hour. Because, honestly, you're not going to defeat S&O on your first try and you might as well get a buffer for it.

Oh, also, there's a shortcut from the bonfire to S&O.
You can jump off the stairs halfway up
. I left an orange sign at the spot.

Also, if you haven't been using your orange soapstone, maybe do so? If people rate up your comments, you get humanity (soft humanity, not the item). I don't see a lot of rated comments, so maybe nobody really knows this. I rate everything.

invisibleB

Neo Member
hi guys/girls wonder if you can help, just got the PS3 prepare to die edition. my first time playing this game so dont know to much about the DLC.

Im in the uk & the store i went to only had one copy left i didn't really want to buy it as, looked like it had been opened and resealed (thought to myself im just being extra.... should be fine!)

Got home opened it and there's no DLC code in the box....

My question is dose it come with a DLC code (& or a online pass) or is the DLC on the disk and no code or downloading needed for the PS3 version??

Finally how do i get to the DLC content so i can check it to put my mind at rest... lol

Need to know asap so i can return if iv been had.

Thanks and hope you can help :)

Akito

hi guys/girls wonder if you can help, just got the PS3 prepare to die edition. my first time playing this game so dont know to much about the DLC.

Im in the uk & the store i went to only had one copy left i didn't really want to buy it as, looked like it had been opened and resealed (thought to myself im just being extra.... should be fine!)

Got home opened it and there's no DLC code in the box....

My question is dose it come with a DLC code (& or a online pass) or is the DLC on the disk and no code or downloading needed for the PS3 version??

Finally how do i get to the DLC content so i can check it to put my mind at rest... lol

Need to know asap so i can return if iv been had.

Thanks and hope you can help :)
If it's the Prepare to Die edition, the DLC is definitely on the disc. You can't actually access it until the middle of the game though.

invisibleB

Neo Member
If it's the Prepare to Die edition, the DLC is definitely on the disc. You can't actually access it until the middle of the game though.

Hi thanks for the prompt response ;-)

Just to confirm thats the PS3 EU version your talking about yes, as thought i mite have posted in the wrong thread (pc)

So all that should be in the box is the game and Manual? and no codes what so ever??

As lots of re-releases have codes or some kind of download didn't know what to expect.

Thanks

Akito

Hi thanks for the prompt response ;-)

Just to confirm thats the PS3 EU version your talking about yes, as thought i mite have posted in the wrong thread (pc)

So all that should be in the box is the game and Manual? and no codes what so ever??

As lots of re-releases have codes or some kind of download didn't know what to expect.

Thanks
Yes, I have that version myself.

AFAIK the DLC is on the PTD edition disc.

There was a big update just before the DLC hit that contained the DLC content for those with the regular edition, and the actual DLC to buy was just an unlock key. I'm assuming those with the PTD edition don't need to download the update - that's how you would know without first reaching the DLC content, which is roughly about halfway into the game.

*gets invaded*

cat-caught-in-the-crossfire.gif

in this analogy, the rag on a stick is me

Toth

Hey all,

I want to do a walkthrough using a fast (short?) sword build and i was wondering what class / stats to start with and focus on? Basically, I have been a heavy DD and a mage and i want to have some fun whacking mobs to oblivion.

Booshka

Hey all,

I want to do a walkthrough using a fast (short?) sword build and i was wondering what class / stats to start with and focus on? Basically, I have been a heavy DD and a mage and i want to have some fun whacking mobs to oblivion.

Wanderer, use the Balder Side Sword, or hell even the Longsword is really good if you scale it up and exploit its varied moveset. Just play a Class with high weapon stats like the Wanderer, Warrior or Hunter and try out all kinds of weapons. Have fun.

Dresden

Scimitar/Falchion/Painting Guardian Sword are where it's at. Stack dex, go SLASHSLASHSLASHSLASHSLASH, fun times.

Apparently they also have the highest dps of the weapon types as well.

Guys, I'm replaying this and other than looking FUCKING AMAZING compared to the PS3 version, this second playthrough is confirming this as a top 5 game ever.

Perfect in nearly every way.

Masterfully designed.

Just one of those games that are SO good you're in awe as you play.

Fucking hell I need the third Souls game.

Lach

Well, you could always backtrack to the Depths, equip your covetous gold ring (from Sen's), and farm rats near the bonfire. You should be able to get 10+ humanity in an hour. Because, honestly, you're not going to defeat S&O on your first try and you might as well get a buffer for it.

Oh, also, there's a shortcut from the bonfire to S&O.
You can jump off the stairs halfway up
. I left an orange sign at the spot.

Also, if you haven't been using your orange soapstone, maybe do so? If people rate up your comments, you get humanity (soft humanity, not the item). I don't see a lot of rated comments, so maybe nobody really knows this. I rate everything.

Thank's for the tips. I know about rat farming but the depths just seem so far away to backtrack to, but I guess it's the way to go. I've left a few soapstone messages.

I've been using the Anor Londo starting Bonfire as "Base" for S&O as it was already kindled.

Caerith

Thank's for the tips. I know about rat farming but the depths just seem so far away to backtrack to, but I guess it's the way to go. I've left a few soapstone messages.

I've been using the Anor Londo starting Bonfire as "Base" for S&O as it was already kindled.
Well, if you're at the starting bonfire then the depths aren't that far away. If you were at the second bonfire then yeah, that would suck.

You have the shortcut at the giant blacksmith open, right?

Soulhouf

Lay down your summon sign and get summoned. Free practice with no risk and you get a lot of souls and humanities.

Lach

Lay down your summon sign and get summoned. Free practice with no risk and you get a lot of souls and humanities.

yeah tried to do that yesterday. Got summoned once but the guy got slammed by the sentinels in the hall. I also ran around the hall and rated all the "need humanity" signs in the hall.

Well, if you're at the starting bonfire then the depths aren't that far away. If you were at the second bonfire then yeah, that would suck.

You have the shortcut at the giant blacksmith open, right?

Yeah as well as the big gate.

Thanks a lot guys. Just realized I have the elevator shortcut in Sen's from top to bottom so it's actually not to complicated to get back to the depths....

[edit] oh and this video made me feel a lot better about myself..

Toth

I saw a sword good build in the other thread with:

40 dex
40 end
and...18 INT?

Is that 18 INT for magic weapon or shield?

Akito

I saw a sword good build in the other thread with:

40 dex
40 end
and...18 INT?

Is that 18 INT for magic weapon or shield?
Most likely for some of the dark sorceries, (great) magic weapon are not that useful PvP-wise, you want crystal magic weapon but that requires 25 INT.

I honestly want a refund. I have had too many controller problems and I haven't even made it to the second boss. I have had more luck with GFWL than getting my controller to work. Here's a timeline of my experience with "GOTY":

1. Buy it for $20
2. Setting up GFWL is hell, but I can play offline
3. Play for 2 hours with my wired 360 controller
4. Take a break, look up the wiki, play other games, etc.
5. Wired 360 controller breaks. It fell off my computer and the round part that connects to the USB adapter somehow bends and doesn't connect anymore. NOTHING can restore the shape, this fucking metal is hard as diamonds; how did it break in the first place? So now it's unfixable and I have to use my wireless controller. I'm not buying a 3rd wired controller; they are expensive to replace.
6. Wireless 360 controller works in every other game, except Dark Souls. I can log in to GFWL, which can now connect for online functions, but every button that isn't Home doesn't work - I am forced to use M&KB. Even with dsmfix installed I am hesitant. The last guy ITT suggested that I had a second controller plugged in that was causing the problems - I don't have one.

What the fuck, man. This port, regardless of Durante and GFWL, is a clusterfuck and I'm close to being done with it. Please. Help. Me.

Lach

I honestly want a refund. I have had too many controller problems and I haven't even made it to the second boss. I have had more luck with GFWL than getting my controller to work. Here's a timeline of my experience with "GOTY":

1. Buy it for $20
2. Setting up GFWL is hell, but I can play offline
3. Play for 2 hours with my wired 360 controller
4. Take a break, look up the wiki, play other games, etc.
5. Wired 360 controller breaks. It fell off my computer and the round part that connects to the USB adapter somehow bends and doesn't connect anymore. NOTHING can restore the shape, this fucking metal is hard as diamonds; how did it break in the first place? So now it's unfixable and I have to use my wireless controller. I'm not buying a 3rd wired controller; they are expensive to replace.
6. Wireless 360 controller works in every other game, except Dark Souls. I can log in to GFWL, which can now connect for online functions, but every button that isn't Home doesn't work - I am forced to use M&KB. Even with dsmfix installed I am hesitant. The last guy ITT suggested that I had a second controller plugged in that was causing the problems - I don't have one.

What the fuck, man. This port, regardless of Durante and GFWL, is a clusterfuck and I'm close to being done with it. Please. Help. Me.

That sucks. It's not a problem with the wirless 360 controller as I am using it. The one time it wasn't recognized was when I had my steering wheel attached. I guess the game just chooses the first controller it finds. After I disconnected the wheel and restarted the game it worked perfectly fine with the wirless 360 controller. Do you have any other input device (joystick / wheel) attached?

Yesterday I invaded someone for the first time, it was fun lol, dont know why but most of them seemed pretty easy to kill on Anor Londo, 2 hits with my fully lightning upgraded Zhwehainder.

Now I just need to find more of those damn Red Cracked stones, they run out fast.

@ChoklitReign what Lach says is correct, make sure that you don't have any other joystick class devices plugged in and it should work. otherwise see if you can uninstall all the 360 controller drivers and then reinstall them, it might just be that windows is being stupid and trying to initialise the wired controller even though you've removed it.

zkylon

zkylewd
Yesterday I invaded someone for the first time, it was fun lol, dont know why but most of them seemed pretty easy to kill on Anor Londo, 2 hits with my fully lightning upgraded Zhwehainder.

Now I just need to find more of those damn Red Cracked stones, they run out fast.
If you haven't given Frampt the lordvessel, just go to
New Londo Ruins and beat the 4Ks

You probably already knew that :p

LOL at that video. Felt sorry for the guy. This game can definitely make you violent.
I just started a new str build and during the gargoyles boss. The phantom cut off both tails. Got the Tail Battle Axe, Halberd and Helm. All I need is the shield. Planning to use Zweihander but its speed is a lot slower than I thought when I swing the damn thing.

Caerith

LOL at that video. Felt sorry for the guy. This game can definitely make you violent.
I just started a new str build and during the gargoyles boss. The phantom cut off both tails. Got the Tail Battle Axe, Halberd and Helm. All I need is the shield. Planning to use Zweihander but its speed is a lot slower than I thought when I swing the damn thing.
I've cut off four gargoyle tails but I've never gotten the tail axe to drop. Fortunately I don't need it on my current build.

I've noticed that all my weapons feel a lot slower when I'm just doing practice swings than when I'm actually hitting something. Is there a speed penalty for whiffing or hitting a wall?

invisibleB

Neo Member
hi guys can some one help, i hit a NPC......

in this vid skip to 12:30
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXSdMHk3Gug&feature=relmfu

Thats the NPC i hit by accident, when ever i go back he's still pissed at me! in the vid the guy says they are very valuable as need stuff from them. has he got anything i need? shall i start the game over??

He then says hes going to kill him (in the vid) as he has a good weapon.... what should i do?? as read somewhere that as i hit a npc i can now get invaded or something or is that if i only kill a npc and not agro him.

so what should i do just leave him as he has nothing good, or kill him as game already set my stats to get invaded... or start game over?

ohh and what the weapon he has?

thanks

Caerith

Thats the NPC i hit by accident, when ever i go back he's still pissed at me! in the vid the guy says they are very valuable as need stuff from them. has he got anything i need? shall i start the game over??

He then says hes going to kill him (in the vid) as he has a good weapon.... what should i do?? as read somewhere that as i hit a npc i can now get invaded or something or is that if i only kill a npc and not agro him.

so what should i do just leave him as he has nothing good, or kill him as game already set my stats to get invaded... or start game over?

thanks
You can get the NPC to forgive you (as long as he isn't dead) by talking to another NPC you'll meet in a little bit: Oswald of Carim. Oswald appears in the Undead Parish after you've rung the first bell of awakening; he'll be right at the bottom of the stairs leading to the bell. Oswald accepts payment to erase your sins.

What you read somewhere was about sin, which you can gain by killing NPCs, betraying covenants, etc. Sin allows you to be invaded by members of the Darkmoon Blade covenant. (You can still be invaded by others even if you haven't sinned.)

The merchant you pissed off has a really good selection of weapons to purchase, as well as the orange soapstone, the bottomless box, etc. Basically, if you have to ask what he has then you probably shouldn't kill him until you're certain you don't want it.

I'd either avoid the merchant until you reach Oswald, or just restart the game. Or restore an earlier save if you're using DSFix.

Caerith

He drops the uchigatana.

I would also strongly encourage you to stop watching walkthroughs. Everyone you watch has a different approach to the game, a different build they're going for. That guy wants to use an uchigatana, many other people use drake swords, some people swear by the reinforced club (what it lacks in speed, range, and power it makes up for in cruelty). You really should get a feel for the game on your own and find a build and style that works for you.

Nevermind that you are really robbing yourself of the experience by youtubing the game before you play it, etc etc, but, especially on your first time through the game where you're still learning the mechanics and how not to accidentally attack NPCs (alt-tab?), you should probably use a shield + thrust combo (spear or estoc) and play it safe until you're more confident in what you want to do.

invisibleB

Neo Member
You can get the NPC to forgive you (as long as he isn't dead) by talking to another NPC you'll meet in a little bit: Oswald of Carim. Oswald appears in the Undead Parish after you've rung the first bell of awakening; he'll be right at the bottom of the stairs leading to the bell. Oswald accepts payment to erase your sins.

What you read somewhere was about sin, which you can gain by killing NPCs, betraying covenants, etc. Sin allows you to be invaded by members of the Darkmoon Blade covenant. (You can still be invaded by others even if you haven't sinned.)

The merchant you pissed off has a really good selection of weapons to purchase, as well as the orange soapstone, the bottomless box, etc. Basically, if you have to ask what he has then you probably shouldn't kill him until you're certain you don't want it.

I'd either avoid the merchant until you reach Oswald, or just restart the game. Or restore an earlier save if you're using DSFix.

hi thanks for the help.

im not using youtube as it will spoil the game, like you said. i just had to find a video to show you guys, so i could get help on where i was at. then just wondered about the guys comment about the weapon.

iv been trying to get to the game for months so had a look at a few forums, & got bits of info stuck in my head. heard about the guy who forgives sins but i read it cost a arm and a leg..... so would i just be better off restarting the game??? (no extra save playing on ps3)

Caerith

hi thanks for the help.

im not using youtube as it will spoil the game, like you said. i just had to find a video to show you guys, so i could get help on where i was at. then just wondered about the guys comment about the weapon.

iv been trying to get to the game for months so had a look at a few forums, & got bits of info stuck in my head. heard about the guy who forgives sins but i read it cost a arm and a leg..... so would i just be better off restarting the game??? (no extra save playing on ps3)
He only charges you in souls, based on your level, so it's really not that bad. Of course, if you need that merchant's weapons in order to get there, then maybe yeah doing a quick restart is easier.

hi thanks for the help.

Kill the guy, use the Uchigatana. If you use a Dex build it's a great weapon.

Ledsen

I FINISHED IT!!!!

Yesss................

the key to the final boss was STAMINA. Stamina stamina stamina.

Also, I finished all the bosses in the game except
Kalameet

BSS +15 is godly, but let's see where NG+ will take me... when I eventually go back.

invisibleB

Neo Member
Kill the guy, use the Uchigatana. If you use a Dex build it's a great weapon.

Caerith
The Anti-Monitor

Thanks for info, i did a restart lost about a hour! but on second play through went to the graveyard.... and we all know what there heheheh.... so all good.

But not felling the big heavy weapons, maybe i should have killed him and got a good dex wep! as another npc sells box and you get stone after you kill him anyway!
well at least i havent got sin on me.

Im addicted luv the game.... got invaded, guy drops some awesome armour (awesome for my level that is) wopwop.

Got even more questions though, when i got invaded i was worried as though he was gana kill me as he was glowing red!
is it only Darkmoon Blade covenant that can kill you? if you sin? & what are all the things you do to sin (so i can avoid and not get invaded by DB)

Finally about a hour ago i was near a fire and some red glowing crab started to attack me wt*? screen never said i was invaded what was that??

ohh are Humanity stones used for anything else other than state boost, kindle & howling? should i save em or use them as iv been walking around undead a lot!

Caerith
The Anti-Monitor

Thanks for info, i did a restart lost about a hour! but on second play through went to the graveyard.... and we all know what there heheheh.... so all good.

But not felling the big heavy weapons, maybe i should have killed him and got a good dex wep! as another npc sells box and you get stone after you kill him anyway!
well at least i havent got sin on me.

Im addicted luv the game.... got invaded, guy drops some awesome armour (awesome for my level that is) wopwop.

Got even more questions though, when i got invaded i was worried as though he was gana kill me as he was glowing red!
is it only Darkmoon Blade covenant that can kill you? if you sin? & what are all the things you do to sin (so i can avoid and not get invaded by DB)

Finally about a hour ago i was near a fire and some red glowing crab started to attack me wt*? screen never said i was invaded what was that??

ohh are Humanity stones used for anything else other than state boost, kindle & howling? should i save em or use them as iv been walking around undead a lot!

The red phantoms can also kill you, actually that's what they're suppose to do. The one you met is just a nice guy looking for PVP, he probably knew you're new so he gave you some stuff and left. Some people...are not so nice.

To sin, you can betray covenants, kills NPC, or invade other players.

A red glowing crab...so you're one of the lucky few who managed to meet a grave-lorded vagrant, and within the first hour? That's really rare. A vagrant is a rare enemy that appears whenever another player in the same area throws away a lot of items. Grave-lord is a covenant where a player can choose to fuck with other players in the same area by spawning red phantom(really hard) versions of existing enemies to kill you. So basically you managed to meet a vagrant AND get grave-lorded at the same time.

Yeah the Humanities basically do what you said, and you probably know the benefits and risks of turning back to human.

zkylon

zkylewd
I FINISHED IT!!!!

Yesss................

the key to the final boss was STAMINA. Stamina stamina stamina.

Also, I finished all the bosses in the game except
Kalameet

BSS +15 is godly, but let's see where NG+ will take me... when I eventually go back.
Congrats. I breezed through most of NG+ except for the 4Ks, and it's a trip worth doing immediately after you beat NG, if only to get your sweet revenge against many of these fuckers.

Only use your Humanities if they boost your weapon, are item hunting or need curse resist.

Once you get to the Depths you can farm it tho, but you still shouldn't be totally reckless. If you plan to invade/help often Humanity is no problem, however.

invisibleB

Neo Member
The red phantoms can also kill you, actually that's what they're suppose to do. The one you met is just a nice guy looking for PVP, he probably knew you're new so he gave you some stuff and left. Some people...are not so nice.

To sin, you can betray covenants, kills NPC, or invade other players.

A red glowing crab...so you're one of the lucky few who managed to meet a grave-lorded vagrant, and within the first hour? That's really rare. A vagrant is a rare enemy that appears whenever another player in the same area throws away a lot of items. Grave-lord is a covenant where a player can choose to fuck with other players in the same area by spawning red phantom(really hard) versions of existing enemies to kill you. So basically you managed to meet a vagrant AND get grave-lorded at the same time.

Yeah the Humanities basically do what you said, and you probably know the benefits and risks of turning back to human.

hi
man on man this just get more interesting... just did some reading then you tel me something total new!! luv it.

Thanks for info about humanities so then i should not worry about saving the stones just use them yea? what i mean is not needed for anything like weapon upgrades or secret items anything like that?

ok red dudes/crabs stuff....

First of all i didnt sin!! restarted the game didnt hit any npc, (was careful this time lol) havent backed-out on covenants so why/how did i get invaded??
Also thats nice of the guy what should i have dun in return how do i do pvp? and are there any consequences for doing pvp (sin for killing guy) or is it just i side game/mode?

About the crab so i started playing yesterday, did about 1:30 min. restarted cus of npc thing.
Played another 1:40 min to get back to same spot with more exploring tho, then today couldnt kill that boss in the tower so got pissed and soul farmed for about 3 hours!!! (yep im over levelled i think)
killed him went under the dragon, seen the red dude (invader) by the first Bore enemy you see. He gave me stuff showed me to master key, i died fighting enemy! so went back to get my souls, then found fire behind Dragon thats when i see the crab (he attacked me so i killed him, droped 2 in one humanities item!....)
now im hear with a million questions... lol. total play time around 5 hours.
tel me more??????????? :)

invisibleB

Neo Member
Only use your Humanities if they boost your weapon, are item hunting or need curse resist.

Once you get to the Depths you can farm it tho, but you still shouldn't be totally reckless. If you plan to invade/help often Humanity is no problem, however.

So are you saying i should stay undead?? wasnt planing on invading but as this guy was so nice mite change my mind and help others... was interesting stuff.

hi
man on man this just get more interesting... just did some reading then you tel me something total new!! luv it.

Thanks for info about humanities so then i should not worry about saving the stones just use them yea? what i mean is not needed for anything like weapon upgrades or secret items anything like that?

ok red dudes/crabs stuff....

First of all i didnt sin!! restarted the game didnt hit any npc, (was careful this time lol) havent backed-out on covenants so why/how did i get invaded??
Also thats nice of the guy what should i have dun in return how do i do pvp? and are there any consequences for doing pvp (sin for killing guy) or is it just i side game/mode?

About the crab so i started playing yesterday, did about 1:30 min. restarted cus of npc thing.
Played another 1:40 min to get back to same spot with more exploring tho, then today couldnt kill that boss in the tower so got pissed and soul farmed for about 3 hours!!! (yep im over levelled i think)
killed him went under the dragon, seen the red dude (invader) by the first Bore enemy you see. He gave me stuff showed me to master key, i died fighting enemy! so went back to get my souls, then found fire behind Dragon thats when i see the crab (he attacked me so i killed him, droped 2 in one humanities item!....)
now im hear with a million questions... lol. total play time around 5 hours.
tel me more??????????? :)

Actually, save the humanities, yeah you don't need them for weapon upgrades and stuff but Humanities heal you completely so it's very useful, you can even use it as a phantom. And if you die you lose your humanity as well so using a lot at once is very risky. You can also offer humanities to a covenant later in the game. So only use humanities to kindle bonfires and turn into human.

Only blue phantoms from the Darkmoon cares about sinners, red phantoms invade everyone.

There are many ways to pvp, several covenants will give you items that allow you to invade other players. The most straight-forward one is using the Cracked Red Eye Orb item(you can actually find a few hidden in Firelink Shrine), you have to be human to use it. Killing the player will give you humanity and souls, and also covenant specific items. And of course if you're not invading as a Darkmoon Blade, you'll sin if you invade.

So are you saying i should stay undead?? wasnt planing on invading but as this guy was so nice mite change my mind and help others... was interesting stuff.

If you want to help other players, use the White Soapstone (Solaire gives it to you) near a bonfire, players in need will summon you and you can help them clear the current area.

Top Bottom