• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

invisibleB

Neo Member
Thanks guys, back to the grind :)
ill probably be back with a few more questions though lol
one last thing if a red phantom comes & invades will he/can he just start attacking me or must i accept a pvp request like in mmorpgs? (didnt wana go near him, lol was stuck on a bridge cornered) and can a red phantom kill enemies in my world? or just me?

Thanks

ijed

First of all i didnt sin!! restarted the game didnt hit any npc, (was careful this time lol) havent backed-out on covenants so why/how did i get invaded??

It goes by your gamer tag not by the character you're currently playing. If one of your characters have sins that haven't been absolved than any of your characters can get invaded by blue invaders.
And whether you have sins or not you can still get invaded by red phantoms.

But you can't get invaded in areas where you have defeated the boss or if you're in undead form. You miss out on other stuff by not being in human form but it can make things a lot easier to explore a level as an undead , then go back and revert to human form, summon some jolly co-op and go mash the boss, if any invaders appear 3-against-1 is better odds than 1-on-1.

Basically if you can see summon signs for other players on the ground then you can also be invaded

Thanks guys, back to the grind :)
ill probably be back with a few more questions though lol
one last thing if a red phantom comes & invades will he/can he just start attacking me or must i accept a pvp request like in mmorpgs?

Once they invade there's only 2 ways out:
- 1 of you dies
- You enter the boss fight for that area

Ledsen

So... Next game?

Dead Souls <--- this please From!
Dawn Souls
Dread Souls
Damned Souls
Doomed Souls
Demented Souls
Drake Souls
Dream Souls
Drained Souls

So are you saying i should stay undead?? wasnt planing on invading but as this guy was so nice mite change my mind and help others... was interesting stuff.
You can bee summoned to help as a white/gold phantom even while undead. If you turn human it's because you want to fight other people, whether as the invader or the invaded. It is a lot of fun so you should consider it, but you'll be spending a lot of Humanity until you get good.

invisibleB

Neo Member
It goes by your gamer tag not by the character you're currently playing. If one of your characters have sins that haven't been absolved than any of your characters can get invaded by blue invaders.
And whether you have sins or not you can still get invaded by red phantoms.

But you can't get invaded in areas where you have defeated the boss or if you're in undead form. You miss out on other stuff by not being in human form but it can make things a lot easier to explore a level as an undead , then go back and revert to human form, summon some jolly co-op and go mash the boss, if any invaders appear 3-against-1 is better odds than 1-on-1.

Basically if you can see summon signs for other players on the ground then you can also be invaded

Once they invade there's only 2 ways out:
- 1 of you dies
- You enter the boss fight for that area

Omg that just fucked up your gamer tag has the sin... wow :(
so if any of your players get invaded and killed will that remove the sin or must it be the player who did the sin? also can any of your players buy out the sin or must it be the player who did it? thinking the cheapest way would be start a new game and buy it with a player with low level.... or should i just get invaded & killed to remove that one sin (but with my new build deleted old save)

Also was only wondering about if the red invader could attack enemy in my world as he could see i was new and did not want to attack me, but at the same time he was leading me around but not touching the enemys! is this because he could or didnt want to?

Thanks everyone for the replys

2AdEPT

hi thanks for the help.

im not using youtube as it will spoil the game, like you said. i just had to find a video to show you guys, so i could get help on where i was at. then just wondered about the guys comment about the weapon.

iv been trying to get to the game for months so had a look at a few forums, & got bits of info stuck in my head. heard about the guy who forgives sins but i read it cost a arm and a leg..... so would i just be better off restarting the game??? (no extra save playing on ps3)
Congrats ....this game is addictive...I really regretted asking too many questions early on but most on here would agree that the basics are better to get from people on this board...you only get one virgin run and not knowing enough can be bad as well. You were right to start over...it takes very little time to get back to where you were in hours into the game...because you know what to do the second or third time through. My advice is not to listen to people who say you need to observe a certain path...the game itself will tell you what you need to do...but mostly its explore explore explore. Keep bosses alive and find special items/weapons....do not feel you need to settle on one weapon the whole game, and do not worry about wasting humanity....it only takes 1 minute per humanity to farm them in several places later in the game...any time you run completely dry you can drop your white stone, help otters, and the reward is a humanity...other players will give it to you as well as most have much more than they need with them from farming or pvping.
So... Next game?

Dead Souls <--- this please From!
Dawn Souls
Dread Souls
Damned Souls
Doomed Souls
Demented Souls
Drake Souls
Dream Souls
Drained Souls

its likely going to be called Dark forest...FROM already patented the name shortly after releasing Dark souls....Not that they can't change their mind.

Lach

Had bad luck yesterday with S&O.

I had spent 2 hours in the depth and accumulated myself around 45 humanity.
Quick question: is there a time it takes the rats to start dropping again? after three or four runs they stopped dropping and I had to wait about 30 minutes for them to start again.

Anyways back in good old AL I restored humanity and went to the Cathedral. Died once by being stupid with sentinels. Twice I got invaded and I suck hard in PVP, all good fun though. Then I finally could summon another player (in addition to solaire) and went into the fight. Was ok other than both solaire and the other player switched back and forth between the two other than focusing on Smough like I did. I died.

But I have to say I love my lightning +4 gargoyle halberd.

I want to make a character that mainly fights with crossbows. Which is better overall: standard crossbows or lightning crossbows?

Quick question: is there a time it takes the rats to start dropping again? after three or four runs they stopped dropping and I had to wait about 30 minutes for them to start again.

You were just getting unlucky. Drops don't work on timers like that.

ArynCrinn

Banned

Anyways back in good old AL I restored humanity and went to the Cathedral. Died once by being stupid with sentinels. Twice I got invaded and I suck hard in PVP, all good fun though. Then I finally could summon another player (in addition to solaire) and went into the fight. Was ok other than both solaire and the other player switched back and forth between the two other than focusing on Smough like I did. I died.

Keep at it man, you seem to be doing great on your first play through!

ArynCrinn

Banned
I want to make a character that mainly fights with crossbows. Which is better overall: standard crossbows or lightning crossbows?

The Avelyn crossbow, which you find in Duke's, is the best crossbow in the game. Upgrade it all the way to max, then buy as many lightning bolts as you can (999) is perfect! =P

Heavy Crossbow upgraded to max with fire works well too.

Edit: Sorry about the double post.

Dresden

It's just normal +15 all the way, imo. Same results but with a vastly cheaper source of ammo and you won't tickle the new bosses.

almost done with my SL1 no-upgrade run. i finally managed to beat 4 kings. would have done that a lot quicker, but i had decided to stick to base weapons on all of the required bosses, and only use the stronger weapons that could be found (occult club and giant blacksmith hammer) on the optional bosses.

the only thing that ended up working for 4 kings was the dagger (of all weapons) + 4 gold pine resins, power within for the first 2 kings and a green blossom for the 3rd and 4th. since the resin adds flat damage, the fast attack of the dagger gave me just enough DPS to squeak out the fight after numerous tries. had to burn through all 20 flasks, but it did the trick.

just manus and kalameet left before i finish off gwyn.

Soulhouf

almost done with my SL1 no-upgrade run. i finally managed to beat 4 kings. would have done that a lot quicker, but i had decided to stick to base weapons on all of the required bosses, and only use the stronger weapons that could be found (occult club and giant blacksmith hammer) on the optional bosses.

the only thing that ended up working for 4 kings was the dagger (of all weapons) + 4 gold pine resins, power within for the first 2 kings and a green blossom for the 3rd and 4th. since the resin adds flat damage, the fast attack of the dagger gave me just enough DPS to squeak out the fight after numerous tries. had to burn through all 20 flasks, but it did the trick.

just manus and kalameet left before i finish off gwyn.

Wow that's an achievement. Congratulations!
I would never think that a dagger would work. I couldn't do it that way because farming resin with that setting is a pain in the ass.

invisibleB

Neo Member
Congrats ....this game is addictive...I really regretted asking too many questions early on but most on here would agree that the basics are better to get from people on this board...you only get one virgin run and not knowing enough can be bad as well. You were right to start over...it takes very little time to get back to where you were in hours into the game...because you know what to do the second or third time through. My advice is not to listen to people who say you need to observe a certain path...the game itself will tell you what you need to do...but mostly its explore explore explore. Keep bosses alive and find special items/weapons....do not feel you need to settle on one weapon the whole game, and do not worry about wasting humanity....it only takes 1 minute per humanity to farm them in several places later in the game...any time you run completely dry you can drop your white stone, help otters, and the reward is a humanity...other players will give it to you as well as most have much more than they need with them from farming or pvping.

Hi

Thanks for the tips on humanity, will use it now. Im also thinking it was a good choice to restart as the undead merchant has some good arrow ammo and keys!!
Agree with you on the weapon stuff, been through like 4 different weapons & already still finding stuff i like.

About the keeping bosses alive, why?? is that the only way to find rare items & weapons??

I should stop getting to much info from the boards! But can help it lol like knowing all the little things :)

Thanks for the help.

Wow that's an achievement. Congratulations!
I would never think that a dagger would work. I couldn't do it that way because farming resin with that setting is a pain in the ass.

thanks. i kept most of the resins available through the normal playthrough (so i had 6-7), then i farmed the big mushrooms in darkroot with the CGSR and i got 2-3 resins every few minutes. a lot of my early failures at 4 kings only had me using 1 resin, so they lasted a while.

How hard is it micro-manage everything in this game? Will I be overwhelmed by the numerous menus in building up your character, or it is simplified, and (GASP!) streamlined?

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
How hard is it micro-manage everything in this game? Will I be overwhelmed by the numerous menus in building up your character, or it is simplified, and (GASP!) streamlined?
It's not really a menu based game, and there is little fussing within them. If anything the game discourages it by not pausing when you access the menu.

2AdEPT

YOur halberd is great...but won't work very well at all on Orenstien as he is near impervious to lighting...most people have a backup weapon that is normal adn can be buffed with magic or fire, or have a fire/chaos weapon. Chaos weapons fully upgraded with 10 humanity in the ticker beat out lightning regradless of the eneimes resistance. I fyou don't have any of these weapons and are low on upgrade materials you can get by with the crystal halberd found in the chest just to the left of the firekeeper nbonfire in AL.

as for humanity jsut ensure you have at least 5-6 if not 10 in the ticker adn the covetous serpent rign on and you will basically get 1 humanity per minute spent on average (usually at least one per run through, only got blanked twice lifetime withthese parpameters on, with the max i hve gotten for one run is 4-5.) THe max item discovery is 410..if not at 410 there is a mimic head you can wear that also boost item discovery but it won't show up on your item find stat for some reason..it doesn't help if you are already at 410.

I would have one of each...the normal path is best for your heavy crossbow and then once you finaly get the avelyn make that baby lighting and use lighting bolts. Use each for different situations but try to maintain one damage route to hit harder on a single resistance (don't mix and match normal bolts with lighting weapons and vice versa.)

Hi

Thanks for the tips on humanity, will use it now. Im also thinking it was a good choice to restart as the undead merchant has some good arrow ammo and keys!!
Agree with you on the weapon stuff, been through like 4 different weapons & already still finding stuff i like.

About the keeping bosses alive, why?? is that the only way to find rare items & weapons??

I should stop getting to much info from the boards! But can help it lol like knowing all the little things :)

Thanks for the help.

Yeah the residence key in particualr is imperative if you are a magic user as the master key does not replace its usefulness on several doors...the other stuff can be found other palces, albeit sometimes less convenient.

ONe reason to keep bosses alive while you are still exploring is that there are sometimes events that are only triggered while you are human AND the boss is still alive. FOr this reason I also recommend staying human as much as possible...it is not bad toget invaded, its part of the game and fun, humanity and souls can always be replaced rather quickly with good farming strategies. ANother reason is that you can only do PVP as a host if the boss is still alive..otherwise you have to be the invader.

Another reason to keep bosses alive (or perhaps not beat your head into the ground fighting over and over) is that there is likely a certian peice of equioment you may or may not have found yet, and you may not have learned its usefulness yet. By fighting a boss a few times and helkping others fight and beat them first, you see how others do it and eventually you can solo the boss yourself...but do it on yourterms, with the equipment you want to use on it. Its very easy to summon help but remember, chances are the player already finsihed the game a few times and has all the equipment and more from 2-3 playthroughs and has just kept his level low to help noobs. YOu could very easily kill a few bosses with help but the boss will be 2-3 shot by your help and you won't get to experience the boss yourself, learn its habits, and use the appropriate equipment to aid your strategy.

THe master key is helpful for exploring but it is not necessary because of secret passageways, and even hidden walls etc. along with the interconnectivity of the whole world via shortcuts that can be opened etc. If you do the gargoyles bell second instead of first and figure out how to ring the Queelag boss bell first instead, you can peruse multiple areas, gather equipment and items, and join 5-6 different covenenants, each of which has interesting equipment and themes to try...you may eventualy want to specialize in dexterity vs. strenghth weapons, and/or follow a magic/faith speciualty as several covenants help push you in those directions...pyro is a given for all characters as it is easy to upgrade to max with souls alone. In summary on this point, you can do 8 bosses while ringing the first two bells and hence being forced to move forward and there are at least 4 demi-bosses as well in that time as well as key NPC's that you can talk to and aggro agaisnt if you have exhausted their usefulness while comrades. THere are only 3 bosses that you must do in order after that (the one after you ring both both bells, and the one after, and then final boss has to be done at the end. There are four pre-final bosses that can be done in any order but pre-empt the final boss, and of course the new content bosses which must be done in any order but after the lordvessel is acquired. YOu can search most areas even if the boss door is sealed and iaccessable early and still get teh stuff there.....and in order to progress onward all you ahve to kill is the 2 bell bosses...all ohters can be left standing although one bosse in the first 8 requires that you kill a separate one first to get a key for the next area.

SOme may disagree with my methods but as someone who has spent 1500 hours on souls games let me assure you that I would have rather done things the way I outline above as opposed to what I did whihc was looked up most things, and hired two phantoms to help me kill bosses I could not do in the first few attempots alone.....some stuff is near impossible to find without help...so come here and ask adn we will spoiler stuff for you and try to hint without giving it away....but do try htings on your own first, join lots of different covenants ( you can join and quit and rejoin with souls beingthe only penalty unless you gave a tonne of gifts to the covenenat leader...the gift totals you give are halved when you return....but most covenants give a gift just for joining so there is no reason not to initially, then just stay with a particualr covenant you like later in teh game when you have gleaned lots of equipment/spells from them.)

Remember, some will say that you can do allthe micro-focused stuff later in other playthroughs, but my retort is that you only get one virgin run, and it will unfortuanltely be your best and most memorable!!! The game is worth it to play again and again but alas you will just be chasing the dragon similar ot a Cocaine user...literally AND figuratively!!!

invisibleB

Neo Member
Yeah the residence key in particualr is imperative if you are a magic user as the master key does not replace its usefulness on several doors...the other stuff can be found other palces, albeit sometimes less convenient.

ONe reason to keep bosses alive while you are still exploring is that there are sometimes events that are only triggered while you are human AND the boss is still alive. FOr this reason I also recommend staying human as much as possible...it is not bad toget invaded, its part of the game and fun, humanity and souls can always be replaced rather quickly with good farming strategies. ANother reason is that you can only do PVP as a host if the boss is still alive..otherwise you have to be the invader.

Another reason to keep bosses alive (or perhaps not beat your head into the ground fighting over and over) is that there is likely a certian peice of equioment you may or may not have found yet, and you may not have learned its usefulness yet. By fighting a boss a few times and helkping others fight and beat them first, you see how others do it and eventually you can solo the boss yourself...but do it on yourterms, with the equipment you want to use on it. Its very easy to summon help but remember, chances are the player already finsihed the game a few times and has all the equipment and more from 2-3 playthroughs and has just kept his level low to help noobs. YOu could very easily kill a few bosses with help but the boss will be 2-3 shot by your help and you won't get to experience the boss yourself, learn its habits, and use the appropriate equipment to aid your strategy.

THe master key is helpful for exploring but it is not necessary because of secret passageways, and even hidden walls etc. along with the interconnectivity of the whole world via shortcuts that can be opened etc. If you do the gargoyles bell second instead of first and figure out how to ring the Queelag boss bell first instead, you can peruse multiple areas, gather equipment and items, and join 5-6 different covenenants, each of which has interesting equipment and themes to try...you may eventualy want to specialize in dexterity vs. strenghth weapons, and/or follow a magic/faith speciualty as several covenants help push you in those directions...pyro is a given for all characters as it is easy to upgrade to max with souls alone. In summary on this point, you can do 8 bosses while ringing the first two bells and hence being forced to move forward and there are at least 4 demi-bosses as well in that time as well as key NPC's that you can talk to and aggro agaisnt if you have exhausted their usefulness while comrades. THere are only 3 bosses that you must do in order after that (the one after you ring both both bells, and the one after, and then final boss has to be done at the end. There are four pre-final bosses that can be done in any order but pre-empt the final boss, and of course the new content bosses which must be done in any order but after the lordvessel is acquired. YOu can search most areas even if the boss door is sealed and iaccessable early and still get teh stuff there.....and in order to progress onward all you ahve to kill is the 2 bell bosses...all ohters can be left standing although one bosse in the first 8 requires that you kill a separate one first to get a key for the next area.

SOme may disagree with my methods but as someone who has spent 1500 hours on souls games let me assure you that I would have rather done things the way I outline above as opposed to what I did whihc was looked up most things, and hired two phantoms to help me kill bosses I could not do in the first few attempots alone.....some stuff is near impossible to find without help...so come here and ask adn we will spoiler stuff for you and try to hint without giving it away....but do try htings on your own first, join lots of different covenants ( you can join and quit and rejoin with souls beingthe only penalty unless you gave a tonne of gifts to the covenenat leader...the gift totals you give are halved when you return....but most covenants give a gift just for joining so there is no reason not to initially, then just stay with a particualr covenant you like later in teh game when you have gleaned lots of equipment/spells from them.)

Remember, some will say that you can do allthe micro-focused stuff later in other playthroughs, but my retort is that you only get one virgin run, and it will unfortuanltely be your best and most memorable!!! The game is worth it to play again and again but alas you will just be chasing the dragon similar ot a Cocaine user...literally AND figuratively!!!

Thanks for all the help & good call on the covenants, im gana do that.
Not brave enough to go down first. (plus already rung first bell)
Im doing what you said on bosses also as i tend to play games on my own anyway. spent like 3 hours on the 2 bosses at the bell!! i should have just used the gold pine resin would have been much easer but im a hoarder.... not gana make that mistake again lol.
Got to the magic guy and yep, thanks god i restarted would have been pissed to miss that as i like doing spells.

Thanks.

2AdEPT

Thanks for all the help & good call on the covenants, im gana do that.
Not brave enough to go down first. (plus already rung first bell)
Im doing what you said on bosses also as i tend to play games on my own anyway. spent like 3 hours on the 2 bosses at the bell!! i should have just used the gold pine resin would have been much easer but im a hoarder.... not gana make that mistake again lol.
Got to the magic guy and yep, thanks god i restarted would have been pissed to miss that as i like doing spells.

Thanks.

no prob. Its always worth it to take the time to help new community members...will make the online component more rich with each new release!

Since you are getting pretty close I will warn that the Gaping Dragon boss in the depths is one of the bosses that you want to keep alive for a special event....its not that big a deal but most have to wait until future playthroughs to fully appreciate some of these events where I was happy to get them on my virgin run...I was too far to the side of using my collectors hardcover book....it would have been better to at least attempt to find some of this stuff on my own. easy to miss though so be warned!! ;)

Just make sure to be human while searching the whole depths and you will be ok...same for Queelag in blighttown.

Dresden

It's pretty simple... compared to the menu juggling and inventory management of DeSouls, it's a cinch to go through stuff.

Caerith

It's pretty simple... compared to the menu juggling and inventory management of DeSouls, it's a cinch to go through stuff.
I greatly prefer Stockpile Thomas over the Bottomless Box and can't say I miss item weight (but it worked in DeS where you had a hub that was always easy to return to), but in either Souls game the menus are simple and the interface no more complicated than it needs to be.

Lach

Beat S&O yesterday on my second try with help (Solair + other player) was going strong till I ran out of Flasks...

The last few minutes we were both super defensive but we made it in the end.

Thought this was a good point to revisit the Asylum but that Stray demon one-hit kills me with two of his attacks. Got him down to 1/4 health in one try but it's a lot of work...

Thought this was a good point to revisit the Asylum but that Stray demon one-hit kills me with two of his attacks. Got him down to 1/4 health in one try but it's a lot of work...
This one is a lot stronger might want to try when you're a little higher levelled, but is essentially the same tactics - if you stick close and behind he won't do the AoE blasts and will just do the bum bounce - step back, bum bounce, go in, slash, slash, slash with a high bleed weapon - rinse and repeat.

invisibleB

Neo Member
no prob. Its always worth it to take the time to help new community members...will make the online component more rich with each new release!

Since you are getting pretty close I will warn that the Gaping Dragon boss in the depths is one of the bosses that you want to keep alive for a special event....its not that big a deal but most have to wait until future playthroughs to fully appreciate some of these events where I was happy to get them on my virgin run...I was too far to the side of using my collectors hardcover book....it would have been better to at least attempt to find some of this stuff on my own. easy to miss though so be warned!! ;)

Just make sure to be human while searching the whole depths and you will be ok...same for Queelag in blighttown.

Just got the magic weapon spell!! wow this games get better and better.

On that not don't you think the marketing for this game was bad? i wasnt gana play it! As dont like horror games or the way namco/bandi portrayed it as some kind of sadist game.
its not hard it just rewards good play and punishes bad play and mistakes more.
so happy i didnt miss this gem!!
I would have called it a dark fantasy RPG that feels kinda like a successor to Casltevania,
also has a Metriod feel to it. aka MetriodVania....
Now if they Namco said that who would have passed on it, know one!

Thanks god i stumbled on this episode of a lets play by this guy Helloween4545, made me think twice about playing it.

skip to 18:50 of this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEe2402vD7A&feature=relmfu

& watch first few mins of this episode
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDvSgOmATTw&feature=relmfu

lol so funny...

anyway getting back to the tips wow another good call on the famous "Captain" tips..... couldnt help but look it up. Dont worry, only to see what you were on about didnt spoil anything like where or how or what. just name basic idea of what to look for.

i would have soooooooo missed that event, not cus i dont search i do. i go everywhere before boss fights as that how i like to play games. its just that i dont know why but i think iv spent like 90% of my time hollow! really gota stop and be human more ahhhhh.

oh and iv changed my mind again, after getting invaded again last night. im so gana join the people that let me punish all you sinners!!! dieeeeeeeeeee you sinner dieeeeeeee........ WHAT!... lol

:)

Lach

This one is a lot stronger might want to try when you're a little higher levelled, but is essentially the same tactics - if you stick close and behind he won't do the AoE blasts and will just do the bum bounce - step back, bum bounce, go in, slash, slash, slash with a high bleed weapon - rinse and repeat.

Yeah. It's not that he has a lot of health (that reminds me I want to take on Havel again too) but he's just incredibly strong. Especially as I have a light armor build. The sticking close might be a good tip as opposed to trying to stay as far away as possible (as I did) :)

Just started playing - great game.

Question: I have a collection of 150, 200, and 250 damage swords... but I haven't come across any good daggers for my thief to use just yet. I'm just about to enter the depths... will I be finding some good daggers soon? I'm just using an upgraded version of the base knife.

Soulhouf

Just started playing - great game.

Question: I have a collection of 150, 200, and 250 damage swords... but I haven't come across any good daggers for my thief to use just yet. I'm just about to enter the depths... will I be finding some good daggers soon? I'm just using an upgraded version of the base knife.

The dagger you start with (Bandit's Knife) is one of the best daggers in the game because it has a very high critical modifier.
A dagger's usage is very limited because it only works for parry and backstab.

semsei

Neo Member
I want this in my den, sitting beside my gaming rigs! Really need to start getting a few arcade cabs anyway, along with a MAME cab.

Anyway, that is cool. Is it actually real or functional though?

it is as real as anything maya & photoshop help me create

Beat S&O yesterday on my second try with help (Solair + other player) was going strong till I ran out of Flasks...

The last few minutes we were both super defensive but we made it in the end.

I beat Stray demon on my second visit to the Asylum with ease but S&O are kicking my butt. I'm running low on humanity, and during a run back to the depths to farm it from some rats I ended up getting cursed which made me lose about 2 hours of my time.

insin

Neo Member
Yeah. It's not that he has a lot of health (that reminds me I want to take on Havel again too) but he's just incredibly strong. Especially as I have a light armor build. The sticking close might be a good tip as opposed to trying to stay as far away as possible (as I did) :)
Stray Demon was my first proper "I hate Dark Souls, I hate Dark Souls, I hate Dark Souls, I hate Dark Souls, I hate Dark Souls... YOU DEFEATED! OMG I LOVE DARK SOULS IT IS THE BEST!" experience.

If you immediately get behind him and stay there (both of which are easier with a light build) when he tries to turn to face you, all you need to worry about is his AOE attack - let him do it (it hits behind too, so stay just beyond the range of his tail) and you can run in for a couple of hits or chug an Estus while he's recovering (2 handing Drake Sword if it's still early days) then roll away out of AOE attack range. He'll often go straight into his AOE attack again, allowing you to rinse and repeat as long as you're careful with the timing running in for the hits, but if he flies up just double roll away and get ready to run behind him again when he's recovering from his landing (you can run through his weapon if needs be). So much health!

Caerith

I beat Stray demon on my second visit to the Asylum with ease but S&O are kicking my butt. I'm running low on humanity, and during a run back to the depths to farm it from some rats I ended up getting cursed which made me lose about 2 hours of my time.
After my first time being cursed, I bought out Oswald's stock and have been extremely cautious ever since. Exploring the Great Hollow now (seriously, if it wasn't for hints I don't think I'd have ever found it) and, oh boy, more frogs.

Dyno

You think the guy is spitting fire but it's a magic attack! You need to equip a strong magic shield (Crest is good) and some armour that soaks up magic too. Then when is lets out that blast you don't lose too much health.

The dagger you start with (Bandit's Knife) is one of the best daggers in the game because it has a very high critical modifier.
A dagger's usage is very limited because it only works for parry and backstab.

I've been using it exclusively :S. I am a thief. Would it make sense for me to use one of the lighter swords with greater reach?

The dagger's short range makes it challenging, but it's so fast and uses very little stamina that once I get a hit off I can slash most enemies, even tough ones, to death. I just murdered Havel in an extremely long poke fest.

Boogdud

So does this game support the wireless xbox 360 controller? I had a nostromo plugged in (always use it) so I unplugged it and the only controller in my devices control panel is the 360 controller, and my logitec g710+ keyboard. But I start the game up and I can use the home button on the controller to bring up the live interface but nothing works in the game (other than the keyboard).

I'm starting to question the $15 at this point, especially if I'm going to have to dig under mydesk and unplug shit before I play it every time (if that even works).

edit: 'semi' figured it out, I had to go into the device manager and disable a bunch of HID compliant devices even though they were unplugged. Got it working, but not sure if I'm going to go through this bs every time I want to play a single game.

After losing my saves i started playing again. Anor Londo archers are driving me nuts. I am at sl37. If anyone can help me around here i would grateful.

I am playing the PS3 version by the way.

Heysoos

Are there any good mods I should get? I applied Durante's fix.

Also, any mods out there that fix the main menu? Looks pretty bad. I don't see it much, but still if there's a mod out there..

Top Bottom