• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Dresden

I've been using it exclusively :S. I am a thief. Would it make sense for me to use one of the lighter swords with greater reach?

The dagger's short range makes it challenging, but it's so fast and uses very little stamina that once I get a hit off I can slash most enemies, even tough ones, to death. I just murdered Havel in an extremely long poke fest.

Bandit's Knife is really good, it's just... bad in pvp due to its non existent reach and pressure. Spamming R1 means you can parried into oblivion. But it has bleed, the backstab damage is good, no hate.

Problem of course is that the Rapier and the Estoc do more damage on backstabs due to their hidden piercing property that lets them go through armor better. They also have better range.

I hate poison.

once you start murdering ents in the forests or have picked up a nice shield in the depths poison stops being such a pain in the ass. I feel your pain, though... I've been playing as a melee character with the dagger lol. many opportunities to get poisoned. also: fuck curses.
Bandit's Knife is really good, it's just... bad in pvp due to its non existent reach and pressure. Spamming R1 means you can parried into oblivion. But it has bleed, the backstab damage is good, no hate.

Problem of course is that the Rapier and the Estoc do more damage on backstabs due to their hidden piercing property that lets them go through armor better. They also have better range.

I will look into those. I finally have some pyromancy going on alongside the dagger, so my strategy is evolving, albeit slowly.

Great, great game, though. I know I am going to replay it several times. It sorta reminds me of my relationship with Ninja Gaiden and NG: Black on the Xbox. I've replayed those games at least 5 or 6 times. The gameplay, multitude of great weapons, and difficulty make these games so absorbing. I just wish some developer would create an action-adventure-RPG title that incorporated more puzzles and periods of downtime - maybe a dungeon or area almost completely devoid of enemies but filled with puzzles? I am a former Zelda fan, so I do yearn for the occasional puzzle. If a game ever incorporates the extreme difficulty, fantastic gameplay, adventuring, RPG mechanics, and puzzling that I desire I will be in heaven.

Thoraxes

once you start murdering ents in the forests or have picked up a nice shield in the depths poison stops being such a pain in the ass. I feel your pain, though... I've been playing as a melee character with the dagger lol. many opportunities to get poisoned. also: fuck curses.

I've never played the game before and just encountered my first ones -_-
If they get me to full poison, I just go and kill myself to save me the trouble of spamming my flasks.

For now... while i'm low enough. I'll probably be like that raging guy once I get further in.

I've never played the game before and just encountered my first ones -_-
If they get me to full poison, I just go and kill myself to save me the trouble of spamming my flasks.

For now... while i'm low enough. I'll probably be like that raging guy once I get further in.
it's the rats, isn't it? under the bridge? if you lure them out one by one they are easier to manage.

upandaway

Am I supposed to go through the Anor Londo golden gate after the Four Kings? I tried going there but the amount of damage they do/I do makes me doubt myself.

Thoraxes

it's the rats, isn't it? under the bridge? if you lure them out one by one they are easier to manage.

Yeah, I started doing that. The first two times I got slaughtered though, and then every once in a while on the way back to the Undead Parish from dying, I get ahead of myself and forget about them.

Akito

Am I supposed to go through the Anor Londo golden gate after the Four Kings? I tried going there but the amount of damage they do/I do makes me doubt myself.
The enemies there are pretty resilient against certain types of weapons. Magic related weapons do a pitiful amount of damage, lightning is not that useful either, you'd want some decently upgraded fire/chaos or normal weapons for this area. That or pyromancy. If you have trouble with the boars, note that they do not respawn and are probably the most difficult non-boss enemy there.
It was not a very nice experience to go through that area on my first playthough as a mage, with nothing else than my lightning spear and spells.

I hate Anor Londo a lot! God, even after all these months and coming back. Its still so many opportunities to die while running up. You know the area where. Even Blighttown wasn't that bad. Neither was Sen's Fortress. Even Izalith, except for a certain boss. Traumatized from doing that part for so long.
Gonna have to help a friend through that part LOL. Oh man. I'm gonna have nightmares dodging arrows.

Ledsen

I hate Anor Londo a lot! God, even after all these months and coming back. Its still so many opportunities to die while running up. You know the area where. Even Blighttown wasn't that bad. Neither was Sen's Fortress. Even Izalith, except for a certain boss. Traumatized from doing that part for so long.
Gonna have to help a friend through that part LOL. Oh man. I'm gonna have nightmares dodging arrows.

Poison Arrows. Cheesing that part is completely acceptable.

upandaway

The enemies there are pretty resilient against certain types of weapons. Magic related weapons do a pitiful amount of damage, lightning is not that useful either, you'd want some decently upgraded fire/chaos or normal weapons for this area. That or pyromancy. If you have trouble with the boars, note that they do not respawn and are probably the most difficult non-boss enemy there.
It was not a very nice experience to go through that area on my first playthough as a mage, with nothing else than my lightning spear and spells.
Hmm if that's it then ok. I just used a lot of pyromancy thanks to the abundance of bonfires.

I reached the bonfire that is on the other side of the huge hall (on the balcony), and you can warp out of there, but can you warp back to it?

Akito

Hmm if that's it then ok. I just used a lot of pyromancy thanks to the abundance of bonfires.

I reached the bonfire that is on the other side of the huge hall (on the balcony), and you can warp out of there, but can you warp back to it?
Yes, since the last patch. It makes the area way more bearable.

Sullichin

It still kind of surprises me that so many people have trouble with the AL archers. They don't even pose a threat until you're at the top (just don't stop moving) and then you just have to roll through one arrow. I think using poison arrows is actually harder than just running up there, because you're probably vulnerable when you aim the arrows, plus it takes longer. The god damn painting guardian rafters section is a much bigger risk to my sanity than the archers ever were.

Ledsen

It still kind of surprises me that so many people have trouble with the AL archers. They don't even pose a threat until you're at the top (just don't stop moving) and then you just have to roll through one arrow. I think using poison arrows is actually harder than just running up there, because you're probably vulnerable when you aim the arrows, plus it takes longer. The god damn painting guardian rafters section is a much bigger risk to my sanity than the archers ever were.

You have to take one arrow in the back or roll through it, risking falling off (you're usually pretty nervous once you try it). Once you're through that one you have to quickly kill that guy/make him fall off without falling off yourself or getting killed by the other one... yeah it's not easy. I just ran up there and then ran back, and luckily the guy hindering my progress killed himself trying to follow me.

You have to take one arrow in the back or roll through it, risking falling off (you're usually pretty nervous once you try it). Once you're through that one you have to quickly kill that guy/make him fall off without falling off yourself or getting killed by the other one... yeah it's not easy. I just ran up there and then ran back, and luckily the guy hindering my progress killed himself trying to follow me.

You don't even have to do that as long as you don't stop once you get up there.

Dresden

How? The guy on the right is blocking your way, and the one on the left will always have time to fire at least once while you're on the ledge?

I've only been hit in the back once - I think, once you're actually up on the ledge, the arrows get clipped by a wall. If he's tracking you and fires right before you arrive on top, you get nailed in the back.

Otherwise it's easy to just roll through the slow arrow and get up in the other knight's face.

Sullichin

How? The guy on the right is blocking your way, and the one on the left will always have time to fire at least once while you're on the ledge?

The guy on the left doesn't have time to fire an arrow into your back if you keep moving, you only have to roll through an arrow from the guy on the right. And if you get hit in the back it shouldn't knock you over the ledge.

Windam

Scaley member
Just picked this up today on the Steam sale and applied Durante's fix, but for some reason the game freezes (at odd times) and when I alt tab out of it, I get a white screen. Killing it in task manager closes the window, but the process stays running as well. Any ideas? Running Windows 7 64-bit.

Caerith

The archers not leading their shots makes walking up to the ledge pretty easy, agreed, but what happens when you're on the ledge is always the trickier part. Does wearing the fog ring prevent the left archer from shooting at you?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The archers not leading their shots makes walking up to the ledge pretty easy, agreed, but what happens when you're on the ledge is always the trickier part. Does wearing the fog ring prevent the left archer from shooting at you?
The left archer cannot shoot through the piller as you approach the right one, just quickly roll right.

Tilian

Banned
Just ripped through the DLC in an hour and beat
Manus
first try at SL34 with a buddy at SL41. Feeling pretty good now.

DSmalls84

Just grabbed this off of the Amazon sale and had a few questions.

Related to Durante's mod. What does turning on Ambient Occlusion do? I don't really notice much of a difference with it on or off, except that if I have it on high my fps drops to 15 when trying to cross a foggy bridge (New Londo is the name I believe).

Also is the Thief a good class for beginners? I tried the Knight but his slow speed makes it difficult to dodge attacks.

Ledsen

Just grabbed this off of the Amazon sale and had a few questions.

Related to Durante's mod. What does turning on Ambient Occlusion do? I don't really notice much of a difference with it on or off, except that if I have it on high my fps drops to 15 when trying to cross a foggy bridge (New Londo is the name I believe).

Also is the Thief a good class for beginners? I tried the Knight but his slow speed makes it difficult to dodge attacks.

SSAO simulates indirect lighting, that is light bouncing around a room creating shadows that are not caused by the primary light source. tl;dr: you'll notice more shadows under objects and on your character if you look at comparisons.

Starting class doesn't really matter aside from in the very beginning. You could try Pyromancer if you want an easier time at first, or Cleric for the Heal miracle.

Vibed

So I just got the original Dark Souls on PS3 for $20 on Black Friday as a spur of the moment and realized I would want this edition for the extra content. Is all of that content in Prepare to Die available as DLC for the original?

Sorry if this question has been asked a thousand times before.

So I just got the original Dark Souls on PS3 for $20 on Black Friday as a spur of the moment and realized I would want this edition for the extra content. Is all of that content in Prepare to Die available as DLC for the original?

Sorry if this question has been asked a thousand times before.

Yes it's all available on consoles as DLC. I think $15? Same price for the whole game on PC 2 days ago.

LogicStep

So I got the PC version and I'm ready to go back into the game. This time I want to try some sort of cool build like a faith build or something like that. Last time I was just a melee class with some pyro moves. Are there any suggestions on what the best build would be? Suggestions on other builds?

So I got the PC version and I'm ready to go back into the game. This time I want to try some sort of cool build like a faith build or something like that. Last time I was just a melee class with some pyro moves. Are there any suggestions on what the best build would be? Suggestions on other builds?

if you really want to try something different to melee/Pyro you might want to go for a dex/int sorcery build with the black bow of pharis. all long range basically, and velka's rapier or balder side sword (depending on whether you max int or dex first) for anything which gets close. that's my favourite build by far.

I'm on new game plus and am most of the way through the new DLC content. I feel however like I'm just not dishing enough damage. The only weapon that seems to deal anything close to where I should be at is my +5 Dragon Greatsword.

I have a strength of 50, and a dex of 35. Any suggestions for a good stat scaling weapon? I just haven't found anything that I feel kills enemies fast enough.

Akito

I'm on new game plus and am most of the way through the new DLC content. I feel however like I'm just not dishing enough damage. The only weapon that seems to deal anything close to where I should be at is my +5 Dragon Greatsword.

I have a strength of 50, and a dex of 35. Any suggestions for a good stat scaling weapon? I just haven't found anything that I feel kills enemies fast enough.
Black Knight Greataxe: scales with both str and dex, fast and has great reach, but not enchantable
Demon Great Machete: A scaling with strength when fully upgraded while having good base damage

Black Knight Greataxe: scales with both str and dex, fast and has great reach, but not enchantable
Demon Great Machete: A scaling with strength when fully upgraded while having good base damage

Awesome, I'll take a look into it, I unfortunately hit the main blacksmith on this playthrough so I can't upgrade anything else past +5. I've heard good things about both of those weapons though.

Do you just do a base +15 upgrade to them to get the most out of scaling?

Akito

Awesome, I'll take a look into it, I unfortunately hit the main blacksmith on this playthrough so I can't upgrade anything else past +5. I've heard good things about both of those weapons though.

Do you just do a base +15 upgrade to them to get the most out of scaling?
Did you only hit him or kill him? If he's still alive, Oswald could help you out.

With your stats yes pretty much.

Did you only hit him or kill him? If he's still alive, Oswald could help you out.

With your stats yes pretty much.

Nah, I didn't know there was a way out of it once he was hostile so I killed him. Looks like it's new game++ to upgrade my gear.

I've also been thinking about buffing up my Int, and Faith, to try out the greatsword of Artorias. I've heard it can be pretty good, but not sure if it's worth it at this point because of my other stats.

Akito

Nah, I didn't know there was a way out of it once he was hostile so I killed him. Looks like it's new game++ to upgrade my gear.

I've also been thinking about buffing up my Int, and Faith, to try out the greatsword of Artorias. I've heard it can be pretty good, but not sure if it's worth it at this point because of my other stats.
From what I've heard, it's one of the best weapons in the game damage-wise, provided you have a very high SL (200+). For me it's not nearly anywhere worth the investment. Just buff either int or faith in order to able to use crystal magic weapon/darkmoon blade.

Booshka

There is a sword you can forge in the DLC that needs 18 Faith and 18 Int along with some weapon stats to wield, but it only scales with Str, Dex and Humanity and does pure physical damage. With your stats you should be able to deal 500+ damage with it.

You are gonna need to NG+ though if you want really good weapons, with your stats you're going to want +15 weapons that scale with both Strength and Dexterity, even if it is C scaling in both, the scaling damage will add up quick.

Weapons like the Murakumo, Claymore, Zweihander, Washing Pole, Spears and the Composite Bow are great for high weapon stat builds. If you don't care about your level, take your Dex to 40 to get the most out of scaling. You'll be able to use every weapon and do the best damage possible at +15 with those stats, so get on to NG+. Farm for the upgrade materials in NG though, much easier to kill Darkwraiths on NG than NG+.

There is a sword you can forge in the DLC that needs 18 Faith and 18 Int along with some weapon stats to wield, but it only scales with Str, Dex and Humanity and does pure physical damage. With your stats you should be able to deal 500+ damage with it.

You are gonna need to NG+ though if you want really good weapons, with your stats you're going to want +15 weapons that scale with both Strength and Dexterity, even if it is C scaling in both, the scaling damage will add up quick.

Weapons like the Murakumo, Claymore, Zweihander, Washing Pole, Spears and the Composite Bow are great for high weapon stat builds. If you don't care about your level, take your Dex to 40 to get the most out of scaling. You'll be able to use every weapon and do the best damage possible at +15 with those stats, so get on to NG+. Farm for the upgrade materials in NG though, much easier to kill Darkwraiths on NG than NG+.

Yeah, I'm all ready on new game+ and that's why I noticed that my damage just wasn't adding up. Are you talking about the Abyss greatsword? If so I've already forged that one and just need a couple of levels to get my faith and INT high enough. I don't really care about Soul level I'm all ready SL 145 so grabbing a few more levels, getting dex, int, and faith up to use whatever weapons will be helpful. I'm just tired of the Dragon Greatsword taking a five minutes to swing.

Booshka

Yeah, I'm all ready on new game+ and that's why I noticed that my damage just wasn't adding up. Are you talking about the Abyss greatsword? If so I've already forged that one and just need a couple of levels to get my faith and INT high enough. I don't really care about Soul level I'm all ready SL 145 so grabbing a few more levels, getting dex, int, and faith up to use whatever weapons will be helpful. I'm just tired of the Dragon Greatsword taking a five minutes to swing.

Yea that's the one I am talking about, when you are able to use it get your Humanity counter to 11 and it will do more damage.

Booshka

Sounds like I need to get farming some darkwraiths for Titanite Slabs.

There are two easy ones to get, one from the Stray demon, and one in the chest behind the waterfall in the Kalameet boss basin. You can also do the Catarina questline to get one, Crystal Lizards in the Great Hollow have a propensity to drop them as well. They upped the drop rate on them from Darkwraiths, so you should get lucky with at least one out of a few runs farming Chunks.

Czigga

anyone ever go back to demons souls? I played it briefly and liked it, but now that I'm in love w dark souls I'm interested to pick it up again. is it worth it or will I be disappointed?

any main differences other than hub world?

zkylon

zkylewd
anyone ever go back to demons souls? I played it briefly and liked it, but now that I'm in love w dark souls I'm interested to pick it up again. is it worth it or will I be disappointed?

I think it's great and I may go back to play it, but it'll feel a lot harsher. The walks to the bosses are waay longer, and drops and whatnot are crazy less generous.

It's still my favorite PS3 game, and totally worth it.

Ledsen

I know many people like Demon's Souls better. It's definitely not a case where the sequel is objectively better.

I just this weekend went back and finished a playthough of DeS.

You will never be disappointed, and will probably by blown away by how much more atmospheric the levels are. DS is fantastic, but it has nothing that compares to Boletaria or Latria for example.

The combat is a little jankier, but it's still brilliant, they just tightened it up in DS.

moop1167

I think I attempted O&S about 20 times before calling it quits last night. I think I have a good handle on the battle as a whole but I just can't seem to execute. I'm SL43 or so and using a balder side sword +10 and a balder shield +5. Also wearing wanderers +2 for armor. I had one to about 1/4 health and the other about 1/2 way but wound up dying to one of the charging attacks.

I read that one guy is weak to fire and the other lightning but I wouldn't have known that otherwise so I won't be changing my gear. Plus I don't have any other weapons really that I've upgraded besides an iato.

I think I'll be stuck on these guys for a while.

Ledsen

I think I attempted O&S about 20 times before calling it quits last night. I think I have a good handle on the battle as a whole but I just can't seem to execute. I'm SL43 or so and using a balder side sword +10 and a baker shield +5. Also wearing wanderers +2 for armor. I had one to about 1/4 health and the other about 1/2 way but wound up dying to one of the charging attacks.

I read that one guy is weak to fire and the other lightning but I wouldn't have known that otherwise so I won't be changing my gear. Plus I don't have any other weapons really that I've upgraded besides an iato.

I think I'll be stuck on these guys for a while.

Focus on one. Completely ignore the other one, don't try to hit him even if you have the opportunity. Thank me later.

Top Bottom