• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Soulhouf

anyone ever go back to demons souls? I played it briefly and liked it, but now that I'm in love w dark souls I'm interested to pick it up again. is it worth it or will I be disappointed?

any main differences other than hub world?

In Demon's Souls str applies to 2 hands when you use a bow unlike in Dark Souls.
Also when you backstab an enemy and he doesn't die, you don't loose the lock on.

moop1167

*gameshow wrong answer noise!*

Are you using summons, human or NPC? Solaire's sign is on the steps near the lone silver knight archer.

I am trying to beat it without help. Also, I want to kill the fat one first but sometimes the other guy does that flying spear attack so I can dodge and get an easy hit on him. Am I supposed to just not even touch him? Doesn't make sense not to.

Ledsen

I am trying to beat it without help. Also, I want to kill the fat one first but sometimes the other guy does that flying spear attack so I can dodge and get an easy hit on him. Am I supposed to just not even touch him? Doesn't make sense not to.

Whenever I focus on the fat guy I lose track of the fast one and he gets those long distance spear attacks on me and I wind up falling down and getting pummeled.

It makes sense. Just trust us. Do you want some help with strategy?

moop1167

Well typically I am just targeting the big one and then holding my shield up while strafing counter clockwise. Then I just try to get pot shots in when he does the overhead hammer smash. The only problem is that I'll get some damage in and the other guy comes out of nowhere and spears me.

You can only kill one during that first 'round', so only concentrate on one of them - whomever you kill second determines the armour you can buy from Domnhall, and who's soul you get to make a weapon from.

I wouldn't lock on for this fight - they're both big enough to not need it. Keeping a low equipment load is also very helpful for having that fast roll for dodging.

If you summon a helper or two it can make it a very easy fight, so I can understand why you might not want to - but Solaire is pretty useless and often only just makes it through the first fight - so think about using him just to take the heat off you whilst there is two of them.

Most people say Smough is easier the second round - I always get steamrolled by his charges, probably because I always go for Ornstein second so have more experience fighting him so prefer to go for him, you also get his ring.

moop1167

Thanks for the tips. For a dex build does one of them have better gear? Who should I go for first then?

I figure ill get it down at some point. I was getting careless from doing it over and over.

Soulhouf

Thanks for the tips. For a dex build does one of them have better gear? Who should I go for first then?

I figure ill get it down at some point. I was getting careless from doing it over and over.

Kill the fatty first and you'll get the best spear in the game which has a good scaling for dex and faith.

Ledsen

You can only kill one during that first 'round', so only concentrate on one of them - whomever you kill second determines the armour you can buy from Domnhall, and who's soul you get to make a weapon from.

I wouldn't lock on for this fight - they're both big enough to not need it. Keeping a low equipment load is also very helpful for having that fast roll for dodging.

If you summon a helper or two it can make it a very easy fight, so I can understand why you might not want to - but Solaire is pretty useless and often only just makes it through the first fight - so think about using him just to take the heat off you whilst there is two of them.

Most people say Smough is easier the second round - I always get steamrolled by his charges, probably because I always go for Ornstein second so have more experience fighting him so prefer to go for him, you also get his ring.

Aw, here I was trying to be coy, and you just go and tell him everything. Shucks.

Rrang129

Anyone up to help me out? I just need the Channeler's Trident to finish the Knight's Honor achievement... I have all the other ones, so if you need any of them, I'll be happy to trade!!

Im SL 115 in US, my Gamertag is Sargeant Ing. Thanks!!!

moop1167

Aw, here I was trying to be coy, and you just go and tell him everything. Shucks.

Is it worth me using the lightning spear against ornstein for this one? It's not leveled at all though since I just got it. I still want to go to Smoug first though. I am just worried about the 2nd round with Ornstein now.

Akito

Is it worth me using the lightning spear against ornstein for this one? It's not leveled at all though since I just got it. I still want to go to Smoug first though. I am just worried about the 2nd round with Ornstein now.
Ornstein actually is pretty resistant against lightning damage so the lightning spear would not be a good idea at all. When you're fighting either Super Ornstein or Smough, just stay as close as possible to their feet, that way most of their attacks will miss you. Just be ready to run away from the butt slam.

Booshka

Not sure if you picked up the Crystal Halberd or not, but it does a ton of damage compared to most of your gear. It's temporary because it will break eventually, but you should get at least 5 tries out of it before it breaks on you.

moop1167

I'm not sure if I did, but checking in a few. I will try a few more times with my regular gear before starting to mess around with other setups.

Booshka

I'm not sure if I did, but checking in a few. I will try a few more times with my regular gear before starting to mess around with other setups.

Also if you are using the Balder Side sword, use the Thrust attacks more than the slash attacks. You should be picking and choosing your hits, and trying to get one hit in then block or roll away, so do a Thrust attack so you can do much more damage. If you get comfortable with evading them, you can 2 hand the weapon and do even more damage. You can also stagger them easier if you use stronger attacks, although I wouldn't rely on it with light weapons.

Sajjaja

anyone ever go back to demons souls? I played it briefly and liked it, but now that I'm in love w dark souls I'm interested to pick it up again. is it worth it or will I be disappointed?

any main differences other than hub world?

I feel that the boss fights in Demons Souls are much better (most notably False King, Penetrator, and Flame Lurker).

Atmosphere is richer. I still don't know which one I like better though...they are both such fantastic games.

So I just bought the DLC, started to play one of my characters in the Duke's Archives after a long hiatus and holy shit I'm rusty. Dukes Archives was always hard for me. Because of that, I decided to start a new character which I'm going to build with strength/2h character. Fucking Sen's Fortress. It's not even hard, it's just tediously annoying.

I'm level 23 or 24 with 26 strength, using Large Club+5, Grass Crest Shield, Ring of Favour and Protection and Ring of Steel Protection.

Any pointers/hints for this kinda guy? Recommended builds, weapons and covenants?

Also, if anyone is on the PS3, feel free to add me on PSN at Sajjaja.

EDIT:Also forgot to ask, whats the PVP cap at now? Is it still at 120 or has it changed since the DLC?

moop1167

Well this is bullshit. I am only focusing on Smough but every time I dodge and attack him I get speared in the back by Ornstein. Happened 3 times in a row.

I kill the Capra demon on my 2nd try and I am on try 25 here at least. Doesn't make sense that this is so hard. I get killed in 2 hits.

Akito

I always play very safe against them if I don't happen to have particular good gears and stats, lock on one of them, strafe back and around him to have the other on sight as well all the time and attack only when it's really safe. Since you can block most of their attack or avoid them completely with back rolling when they are coming from the front, it's not really a problem it the fight drags out a little.
Smough takes good damage from pretty much anything so if you happen to have the pyromancy glove with some fireballs equipped or any other good ranged attack, attacking him first would make the fight way more feasible.

moop1167

I managed to take out Smough and got to the 2nd round with Ornstein. Uh yeah I got one hit in and he destroyed me. I can't run away to drink a flask either. I think I am fucked.

Akito

Stay close to his feet, roll towards him if you see him doing the thrusting attack that would pierce and lift you up and run away if he jumps up to avoid the butt slam (or try to block it if you're not directly under him but would not get away fast enough) and you're pretty safe against him. Dealing good damage to him is more challenging than staying alive I would say.

moop1167

Stay close to his feet, roll towards him if you see him doing the thrusting attack that would pierce and lift you up and run away if he jumps up to avoid the butt slam (or try to block it if you're not directly under him but would not get away fast enough) and you're pretty safe against him. Dealing good damage to him is more challenging than staying alive I would say.

I'm trying but I can't dodge everything. I seem to keep getting hit while stuck in an animation then I can't drink a flask fast enough so he kills me.

moop1167

tumblr_lk8j6qmj7K1qzu5wc.gif

Booshka

Throw your summon sign down and help others with the boss fight, good practice for you with no risk, only reward. When you get more comfortable with their attack patterns and the overall pace of the fight, you can try it yourself. You'll also get souls so you can level and give yourself some more Vitality to survive longer.
Sajjaja said:
So I just bought the DLC, started to play one of my characters in the Duke's Archives after a long hiatus and holy shit I'm rusty. Dukes Archives was always hard for me. Because of that, I decided to start a new character which I'm going to build with strength/2h character. Fucking Sen's Fortress. It's not even hard, it's just tediously annoying.

I'm level 23 or 24 with 26 strength, using Large Club+5, Grass Crest Shield, Ring of Favour and Protection and Ring of Steel Protection.

Any pointers/hints for this kinda guy? Recommended builds, weapons and covenants?

If you are only going to 2H weapons then keep your STR at 27, 2H weapon scaling starts to tank after that. If you want to use heavier weapons, then only take your Strength to the bare minimum to 2H, 36 STR and you can 2H 50 STR weapons. Large club is amazing, awesome 2H and 1H moveset, upgrade it to +14/15 as soon as you can. Demon Great Machete/Axe/Hammers are all excellent heavy weapons as well. If you plan on PvPing try to have at least 40 poise, and 53 if you can, that way you aren't getting staggered by every little hit and can trade blows with people.

Sajjaja

If you are only going to 2H weapons then keep your STR at 27, 2H weapon scaling starts to tank after that. If you want to use heavier weapons, then only take your Strength to the bare minimum to 2H, 36 STR and you can 2H 50 STR weapons. Large club is amazing, awesome 2H and 1H moveset, upgrade it to +14/15 as soon as you can. Demon Great Machete/Axe/Hammers are all excellent heavy weapons as well. If you plan on PvPing try to have at least 40 poise, and 53 if you can, that way you aren't getting staggered by every little hit and can trade blows with people.

I still want to be mobile though. I started checking out some other strength builds and apparently the Reinforced Club is pretty deadly.
What are some advantages to it? I know it has two power attacks, which I can see being handy in PvP. But what else?

zkylon

zkylewd
Just some general recommendations:
* Killing Ornstein first, makes the second part of the battle cake
* Get some pine resin/charcoal on your weapons for extra damage, if you can afford it
* Use the pillars as cover. They can hit you if you're standing next to them, but their pathfinding is shit and they'll get stuck and you can use that time to think, heal, cry, etc.
* If they kill you in two hits, your armor isn't really making any difference, so make sure you're able to roll super fast. The invincibility window in your roll is MUCH better
* Don't rush things, watch Orstein do his thing, and punish if you know it's a free hit. Take your time and you won't make mistakes.
* If all else fails, there's no shame in summoning help, even Solaire makes a world a difference. I did the first time.

Booshka

I still want to be mobile though. I started checking out some other strength builds and apparently the Reinforced Club is pretty deadly.
What are some advantages to it? I know it has two power attacks, which I can see being handy in PvP. But what else?

The Reinforced Club is good, but it is tiny, it has little to no range and not much stopping power. It has a high attack rating for its size, and it has bleed damage but it won't get you very far in high level PvP unless you are really good. You can still be mobile and have decent poise with a relatively heavy weapon, just wear the Poise ring and level your Endurance. Wear the FaP ring or Havel ring and you can fast roll and have 40-76 poise pretty easily.

If you plan on going to level 100 or 120, you can level your Endurance well past 40 to get the equip load you want. If you are playing a STR character, you only need to level Vitality STR and Endurance, so it is very economical level wise.

Sajjaja

The Reinforced Club is good, but it is tiny, it has little to no range and not much stopping power. It has a high attack rating for its size, and it has bleed damage but it won't get you very far in high level PvP unless you are really good. You can still be mobile and have decent poise with a relatively heavy weapon, just wear the Poise ring and level your Endurance. Wear the FaP ring or Havel ring and you can fast roll and have 40-76 poise pretty easily.

If you plan on going to level 100 or 120, you can level your Endurance well past 40 to get the equip load you want. If you are playing a STR character, you only need to level Vitality STR and Endurance, so it is very economical level wise.

So 40 vit and str and 50 end would be a good build?

Booshka

So 40 vit and str and 50 end would be a good build?

Yea, you could keep your Strength even lower though, anywhere from 27-31 to be honest. The best heavy weapons can be two handed in that range, and the Large Club can be 1H at 26.

Here, check out this cheesy shit. DGA, Fast rolling with 76 Poise at level 100

http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=253760407498680144

You can get 53 poise comfortably with the ring and some economical gear, while still looking decent. With 76 Poise you could just stand there, tank a big hit then swing back.

Ledsen

I feel that the boss fights in Demons Souls are much better (most notably False King, Penetrator, and Flame Lurker).

Atmosphere is richer. I still don't know which one I like better though...they are both such fantastic games.

Also, if anyone is on the PS3, feel free to add me on PSN at Sajjaja.

EDIT:Also forgot to ask, whats the PVP cap at now? Is it still at 120 or has it changed since the DLC?

Duke's Archives were definitely the hardest area in the game for me, except maybe Undead Burg, but I was completely new when I played that. The combination of Channelers, archers and sneakily hidden melee guys got me over and over again.

2AdEPT

It still kind of surprises me that so many people have trouble with the AL archers. They don't even pose a threat until you're at the top (just don't stop moving) and then you just have to roll through one arrow. I think using poison arrows is actually harder than just running up there, because you're probably vulnerable when you aim the arrows, plus it takes longer. The god damn painting guardian rafters section is a much bigger risk to my sanity than the archers ever were.

poison arrows or Dragonsalyer greatbow are foolproof and as easy cheesy as it gets.....the archer arrows die and hit the ground giving you a good space to set up your bows and take your time cheesing them....absolutely zero risk....and not likely a coincidence....the arrwos dying with just enough room for you to set up shop is obviously by design.

Yeah I have taken to to just running straight up there and running back down if I have a weak character or have run out of arrows etc....the archer on the right follows you and dies falling off most of the time....if not just do it again! Lots of rolling!!!

* Killing Ornstein first, makes the second part of the battle cake
People say this, but I think it's just down to experience - if you're always killing Super Smough, you'll be used to his attacks and kill him easier. I always go for Ornstein second so I think he is a piece of cake - I have a hard time dodging Smough's rushing attacks because I rarely take him on second and I always misjudge how far they go, rolling to early. So it's down to experience and knowing the fight I think.

ElFly

If you got magic, kill smough first and you can pillar dance with super ornstein and kill him super super easily.

I didn't play a mage until the pc version and never realized that it is easy mode.

Guys.

Guys.

Blighttown ISN'T in slow motion and doesn't give me a headache. Durante really is the second coming.

Actually a very well designed level now I'm playing it about 4fps.

So I just got the PC version, and Im not happy with the performance. It sits at 30fps most of the time, but with many drops, often down to 15fps...

My pc is pretty decent, able to run crysis on decent settings, etc..

Im getting this problem with or without Durante's mod.

I have an amd gpu hd5650 fwiw. Also switchable graphics to an intel gpu.

Tips?

Sullichin

So I just got the PC version, and Im not happy with the performance. It sits at 30fps most of the time, but with many drops, often down to 15fps...

My pc is pretty decent, able to run crysis on decent settings, etc..

Im getting this problem with or without Durante's mod.

I have an amd gpu hd5650 fwiw. Also switchable graphics to an intel gpu.

Tips?

In catalyst control panel, select 'overwrite application settings', and slide AA to the max. Basically, with some cards (mine included, I have a 7870), the gpu gets stuck in low power mode with this game. Also try a higher internal resolution in DsFix or turn up other settings to make your gpu work. Oddly, My game ran like shit until I turned all of the sliders in CCC panel to max and downsampled from 2560x1440.

Am I the only one who has not been through blighttown? Ive always taken the back entrance.

I like to do the normal way through Blighttown sometimes as a change of pace from taking the back route which is what I usually do. It's a pretty difficult section of the game, especially for the gear that you're likely to have by that point

Sajjaja

I can't skip Power Within -_-
Not to mention Eagle Shield and Iaito when I have a dex character...

I like to do the normal way through Blighttown sometimes as a change of pace from taking the back route which is what I usually do. It's a pretty difficult section of the game, especially for the gear that you're likely to have by that point

Idk man... its just so annoying to be plagued almost instantly even with the spider shield up all the time.

zkylon

zkylewd
People say this, but I think it's just down to experience - if you're always killing Super Smough, you'll be used to his attacks and kill him easier. I always go for Ornstein second so I think he is a piece of cake - I have a hard time dodging Smough's rushing attacks because I rarely take him on second and I always misjudge how far they go, rolling to early. So it's down to experience and knowing the fight I think.
Well I've done S&O three times, plus helping a ton of people in coop and in my experience, it's just easier.

Ornstein is way more mobile, has a ton of range and he has an unblockable attack that can one-hit you.

Smough is a push-over in super mode, most of his attacks are very easy to dodge, if you stick close to him half his attacks will miss you, and when he charges you it's just a matter of putting a pillar in between him and you. His butt stomp attack can one-hit you, but Ornstein has that too. He also has less health than Ornstein, for some reason.

Of course, if you're experienced in doing Smough first, you'll find that order easier, but I say, objectively, Smough is just a slow fat dude, and those are the kinds of enemies one usually excels at beating in Dark Souls.

Top Bottom