• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

moop1167

K i give up. I can't even get past the first part now. This ornstein guy keeps homing missle spearing me when I try to attack the fat guy. Such bullshit.

In catalyst control panel, select 'overwrite application settings', and slide AA to the max. Basically, with some cards (mine included, I have a 7870), the gpu gets stuck in low power mode with this game. Also try a higher internal resolution in DsFix or turn up other settings to make your gpu work. Oddly, My game ran like shit until I turned all of the sliders in CCC panel to max and downsampled from 2560x1440.

Could this possibly be the issue if Im already explicitly overclocking my gpu?

Ok, I see now that the problem is when the game loads new textures (even without the mod).

When I head into a new area, I basically always get a framerate dip, then after a second it goes back to 30. Annoyingly it also seems to happen if I just look at something new, even if it has been right behind me for awhile.

Anyone have any suggestions about this?

Practice the Ornstein and Smough part by helping out other people. There's always someone around there willing to summon, and the extra humanity is very useful.

And if you really want to go for Smough first, definitely summon Solaire. Trying to solo both of them and going for Smough first seems like an unnecessary headache.

I take it back.. this game just runs like shit :(.

Even unmodded, and with an overclocked gpu :(.

Lame, I may be better off getting the dlc on ps3 and playing that.

moop1167

0051_vsk7g.gif

geeko

K i give up. I can't even get past the first part now. This ornstein guy keeps homing missle spearing me when I try to attack the fat guy. Such bullshit.

Try moving left or right and behind a pillar ASAP, the walk around the room. The idea is to get them confused by the pillars so they just end up walking slowly around. Then I finished off fatty as fast as I could. When the other one got big I just started darting in between his legs and he got all confused while I bashed him up. Bare in mind this took about 5-10 tries, because I kept getting plowed with a spear dash at the beginning, but if you can get them mixed up by the pillars you're in good shape for the fist half.

moop1167

I can't believe it took me roughly 50 tries. Isn't Ornstein supposed to drop armor?

Also, I used that black eye orb and smoked that guy who killed the fire keeper at firelink.

TEH-CJ

Banned
I just thought I would pop in and say that Dark Souls is the best game ever created.

is it worth getting the dlc for the ps3 version?

I can't believe it took me roughly 50 tries. Isn't Ornstein supposed to drop armor?

Also, I used that black eye orb and smoked that guy who killed the fire keeper at firelink.
Ornstein drops his soul, that you can use to create the Dragonslayer Spear.

If you want his armor set, you have to go visit your friend Domhnall of Zena under the bridge that leads to the Undead Burg from Firelink. He sells the armor sets of the bosses once you defeat them.

zkylon

zkylewd
I just thought I would pop in and say that Dark Souls is the best game ever created.

is it worth getting the dlc for the ps3 version?
The PC version is the superior one, though online's pretty dead, so bear that in mind. Other than that, the DLC is pretty alright so yeah, get it for your platform of choice. It's not too long, but there's some cool equipment, some cool bosses, etc.

TEH-CJ

Banned
The PC version is the superior one, though online's pretty dead, so bear that in mind. Other than that, the DLC is pretty alright so yeah, get it for your platform of choice. It's not too long, but there's some cool equipment, some cool bosses, etc.

How is the community on the ps3? is it still alive?

just purchased the dlc, only 20 bucks so no biggie :)

Sajjaja

How is the community on the ps3? is it still alive?

just purchased the dlc, only 20 bucks so no biggie :)

Very much alive. What's your PSN? I'll add you :D

So I tried to solo O&S but it was too much work. I wasn't annoyed, I was actually having fun getting my ass kicked, but I just wanted to get to the DLC content quickly, so I summoned some people.

After that, I realized I couldn't upgrade my large club passed +5 because I skipped the Depths and didn't get the ember. Had to fight the dreaded Capra Demon, whom I wanted to avoid but had no choice :( I whooped that bitch in the first try. My best run ever. Now my large club is at +10, and I managed to get into the Sanctuary.

Oh man was that first boss fight fun though, beat
Sanctuary Guardian
on my 3rd try. Feels good man.

Anyways, what kind of armor should I rock right now? I'm wearing the gargoyle helm, Hunter armor, silver knight pants. Havels Ring and Fap Ring. level 43? I'm a 2h melee guy. Prefer to stay agile.

zkylon

zkylewd
Very much alive. What's your PSN? I'll add you :D

So I tried to solo O&S but it was too much work. I wasn't annoyed, I was actually having fun getting my ass kicked, but I just wanted to get to the DLC content quickly, so I summoned some people.

After that, I realized I couldn't upgrade my large club passed +5 because I skipped the Depths and didn't get the ember. Had to fight the dreaded Capra Demon, whom I wanted to avoid but had no choice :( I whooped that bitch in the first try. My best run ever. Now my large club is at +10, and I managed to get into the Sanctuary.

Oh man was that first boss fight fun though, beat
Sanctuary Guardian
on my 3rd try. Feels good man.

Anyways, what kind of armor should I rock right now? I'm wearing the gargoyle helm, Hunter armor, silver knight pants. Havels Ring and Fap Ring. level 43? I'm a 2h melee guy. Prefer to stay agile.
Do I wanna know?

Soulhouf

To be fair, armor isn't important defense wise, it's more for show. The only thing that matters is poise.
So, choose the the set you like the most.

You can always dung pie Capra from outside the fog gate - it's quite hilarious!

It's worth doing an early run into New Londo too to get the very large ember to take weapons to +15 - 1 transient curse should take you through the whole way, and a few (poison) arrow headshots to Ingward to access the water gate.

moop1167

So what do you guys recommend for armor as a dex build? I'm SL 45 right now with:

20 vit
16 str
26 end
24 dex

Should be close but not in front of the game. Currently using a balder side sword +10 and iato +10 with wanderers set at +3. I assume this isn't idea because even I think the pyromancer starting armor is better. I just want to keep the fast roll and since my end isn't that high yet even with havel's ring I need to use super light armor. Oh and I'm using gargoyles helm which I have no idea if its good or not.

Also what happens if I join Boobs' covenant. I haven't joined anything yet because I have no idea what they do. I think I turned down that guy near quelaag too.

Ledsen

So what do you guys recommend for armor as a dex build? I'm SL 45 right now with:

20 vit
16 str
26 end
24 dex

Should be close but not in front of the game. Currently using a balder side sword +10 and iato +10 with wanderers set at +3. I assume this isn't idea because even I think the pyromancer starting armor is better. I just want to keep the fast roll and since my end isn't that high yet even with havel's ring I need to use super light armor. Oh and I'm using gargoyles helm which I have no idea if its good or not.

I don't think defense is super important since you'll be very fragile no matter what, you should look at resistances more. I used the black-hemmed set a lot, it has great resistances overall. I then used the Black Leather set from about Anor Londo until I finished the game, although I don't really know why :) Use something you think looks cool and upgrade it.

20 vit
16 str
26 end
24 dex

Also what happens if I join Boobs' covenant. I haven't joined anything yet because I have no idea what they do. I think I turned down that guy near quelaag too.
Can't help with the armor since I went full Havel, but Boobs' covenant makes you more likely to find someone of the same covenant, which is useful as they're the only ones capable of casting miracles that heal their partners.

Quelaag's covenant will open quite a useful shortcu if offered enough humanity, and you can learn some of the most powerful Pyromancies of the game in there.

Sajjaja

To be fair, armor isn't important defense wise, it's more for show. The only thing that matters is poise.
So, choose the the set you like the most.

Fooling around with poise is so tedious >_< Guess I'll have to do some research regarding what armor selection would keep me mobile and provide poise.

You can always dung pie Capra from outside the fog gate - it's quite hilarious!

It's worth doing an early run into New Londo too to get the very large ember to take weapons to +15 - 1 transient curse should take you through the whole way, and a few (poison) arrow headshots to Ingward to access the water gate.
Whoa....didn't know you can poison him from outside the fog gate.
But.....Ingward is cool, man................I don't know...I don't like killing NPCs... Plus, New Londo scares the shit outta me...It's not even hard, it's just....scary.....

dude, add me on PSN, we can venture into the DLC together!! PAYBACK-SXE

Will do!

invisibleB

Neo Member
Hi people back again... loving the game got a few more questions lol.

Few things about weapons whats better out of the 3 katanas? im thinking of going with uchi but some say washing pole... gana add lightning to them!! what do you guys think? gana have around 4-5 weapons i use but these 2-3 are the only ones i cant decide on....

Also was wondering is it better to upgrade a weapon fully normal and then add magic spell to get lightning on it. or should i lighting embu it?? whats better & does more damage?

Finally im in Anor Londo just came across
the painting.... know all about it! & the doll cant help myself :( wiki. My questions about 3 optional areas, is there anyway in the game you would know how to get to them?? for eg is there clues in the game that tel you what to do?? how on earth would you know about going back to starting area for the painting?? or even how to get to the first area again. you probably could find the great hollow as i did, was a sign on the floor then i thought id just hit second wall.. was like ohhhh lol. Is this just away for them to sell strategy guides?
or am i missing something??

Thanks

Sajjaja

Oh man.. this Artorias fight is super fun. And I finally notice the difference poise makes. I'm at 31 poise but artorias can barely stagger me.

EasyMode

Few things about weapons whats better out of the 3 katanas? im thinking of going with uchi but some say washing pole... gana add lightning to them!! what do you guys think? gana have around 4-5 weapons i use but these 2-3 are the only ones i cant decide on....

Also was wondering is it better to upgrade a weapon fully normal and then add magic spell to get lightning on it. or should i lighting embu it?? whats better & does more damage?
You will get the most damage from the Uchi, followed by the Iaito. The washing pole is nice for the extra reach, but the Dex scaling isn't as good. +15 Normal weapons will do the most damage, even more so if you add a buff like Crystal Magic Weapon. The lightning upgrade path was nerfed in Prepare to Die Edition, it's not worth the materials.

Finally im in Anor Londo just came across
the painting.... know all about it! & the doll cant help myself :( wiki. My questions about 3 optional areas, is there anyway in the game you would know how to get to them?? for eg is there clues in the game that tel you what to do?? how on earth would you know about going back to starting area for the painting?? or even how to get to the first area again. you probably could find the great hollow as i did, was a sign on the floor then i thought id just hit second wall.. was like ohhhh lol. Is this just away for them to sell strategy guides?
or am i missing something??
The return to the Asylum & the painting is probably the easiest optional areas to discover if you like to explore every nook and cranny. Once you re-explore the asylum and find the doll, then the painting is just a matter of time. The Hollow is probably most often discovered due to the hint system. The DLC is probably the most difficult to find if you haven't played the game before, since it hinges on rescuing an NPC that's easy to miss.

zkylon

zkylewd

20 vit
16 str
26 end
24 dex

Just equip whatever gives you poise and still allows you to have the fast roll. I think I mixed Witch Beatrice's coat with the Elite Knight's greaves, stuff like that. I used Havel's ring pretty much through all NG+...

Too long to explain each, but you'll probably want to join Queelan's and give her enough humanity (around 30) to reach Covenant level 2. Gwynevere raises your chances to be summoned/summon and gives you a couple free miracles.

darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Covenants

moop1167

Went back to the undead asylum and I fell through the floor and there is a huge boss there. I freaked out because I had a ton of souls and humanity and wanted to find a way out and he killed me. Do I really have to kill him now? I need my stuff.

Nevermind died to something else on the way back.

Akito

Went back to the undead asylum and I fell through the floor and there is a huge boss there. I freaked out because I had a ton of souls and humanity and wanted to find a way out and he killed me. Do I really have to kill him now? I need my stuff.

Nevermind died to something else on the way back.
You don't have to but defeating him nets you a titanite slab to fully upgrade your weapon. He's also not that difficult.

moop1167

You don't have to but defeating him nets you a titanite slab to fully upgrade your weapon. He's also not that difficult.

Yeah I just literally killed him without even being touched. Shouldn't have freaked out the frist time dammit.

Oh and there WAS a ladder in there. Fuck.

NG28

So I just got the PC version, and Im not happy with the performance. It sits at 30fps most of the time, but with many drops, often down to 15fps...

My pc is pretty decent, able to run crysis on decent settings, etc..

Im getting this problem with or without Durante's mod.

I have an amd gpu hd5650 fwiw. Also switchable graphics to an intel gpu.

Tips?

Enable the 60fps option in the DSfix if you haven't. I use 5670 and that stopped it from dropping down to 15fps.

How much did this game sell on the PC?

2AdEPT

Hi people back again... loving the game got a few more questions lol.

Thanks

My favourite is the washing pole...it is easily the best of three for move-set, reach, and general coolness (see below.) try the running R1. They couldn't also make it the most powerful or it would have been the only weapon used in the game.

as mentioned lightning blows now....get 30 faith and throw on the darkmoon or sunlight blade....then get back to me about damage limitation. 30 faith also enables you to throw lightning bolts and use the force like Vader.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sasaki_Kojirō

Caerith

I still want to be mobile though. I started checking out some other strength builds and apparently the Reinforced Club is pretty deadly.
What are some advantages to it? I know it has two power attacks, which I can see being handy in PvP. But what else?
I'm currently rocking two reinforced clubs (lightning+4, fire+5) and loving/hating them. They lack speed and range, but they have bleed, stun, and a nice leap attack. And they're the best weapon you can use at SL1. If I was putting souls into stats at all, I'd definitely take a weapon with speed and reach.

upandaway

(Lost Izalith) Oh hey!
The Chaos Servant shortcut.. skips... almost!!

...nothing?

I mean it skips the lava room, but the most convenient bonfire I can find is in the lava room, and the room is easily dashable (actually everything up to the boss is easily dashable), not to mention it's one of my favorite rooms in the game! Oh well, I didn't get it to use it as a shortcut so it's ok. But am I missing something?

Anyway, I tried about 10 times now and I still can't find a way to harm the Bed of Chaos, so I give up on figuring it out myself. Help :(
Is it something outside the boss room? I did hit both sides but, y'know. Y'know. They were sides.

Ledsen

(Lost Izalith) Oh hey!

...nothing?

I mean it skips the lava room, but the most convenient bonfire I can find is in the lava room, and the room is easily dashable (actually everything up to the boss is easily dashable), not to mention it's one of my favorite rooms in the game! Oh well, I didn't get it to use it as a shortcut so it's ok. But am I missing something?

Anyway, I tried about 10 times now and I still can't find a way to harm the Bed of Chaos, so I give up on figuring it out myself. Help :(
Is it something outside the boss room? I did hit both sides but, y'know. Y'know. They were sides.

if you've killed the roots on both sides, run towards the boss and the floor in front of it will break. It may not happen immediately, but you have to approach it.

LegatoB

(Lost Izalith) Oh hey!

...nothing?

Bed of Chaos's lifebar is a trick. There's a much, much more obvious way to tell that you're doing damage to it. You're on the right track.

Also that's basically the worst boss in the game, so look forward to being done with it!

DLC related

Cant defeat
Manus
in the DLC, I feel like im so close but that fucker is fast.

Also wtf at the
Dragon
, dont tell me what I need to do to even get him to land, just tell me if I have to do it before or after
manus
, or if it doesnt matter.

(Lost Izalith) Oh hey!

...nothing?

Did you find the hidden bonfire in Lost Izalith? There is the one where Solaire is after the centipede boss, and another.

You're right though, the shortcut is pretty useless, you open it from the other side any way - so all you do is skip a couple of bosses, both of which drop items
especially the lava ring dropped by the centipede demon

The length of time it takes to give 30 individual humanity to open it up is the kicker for me, whatever I'd want to open it up early for can wait just because of that!

one85x

(Lost Izalith) Oh hey!

...nothing?

Well it still allows you to skip the ..Asylum Demon (can't remember his name right now) and the Centipede Demon. Originally though, the lava room had a lot more enemies and they had an actual aggro radius, making it annoying to get through.

upandaway

if you've killed the roots on both sides, run towards the boss and the floor in front of it will break. It may not happen immediately, but you have to approach it.

Bed of Chaos's lifebar is a trick. There's a much, much more obvious way to tell that you're doing damage to it. You're on the right track.

Also that's basically the worst boss in the game, so look forward to being done with it!
....well! :lol

Didn't see that coming. That was extremely silly.

Basically what happened is that I fell through the tree the first time I tried jumping on it. I guess it was a glitch, but it made me give up on the idea quickly! Ledsen's post made me check again and bam, boss over
hahaha

Dark Souls, you so silly

Did you find the hidden bonfire in Lost Izalith? There is the one where Solaire is after the centipede boss, and another.
Yeah I did. It's in an amazing location, only a one minute dash from there to the business.

zkylon

zkylewd
DLC related

Cant defeat
Manus
in the DLC, I feel like im so close but that fucker is fast.

Also wtf at the
Dragon
, dont tell me what I need to do to even get him to land, just tell me if I have to do it before or after
manus
, or if it doesnt matter.
You can kill the dragon after Manus no problem. You can do it before just the same.

invisibleB

Neo Member
My favourite is the washing pole...it is easily the best of three for move-set, reach, and general coolness (see below.) try the running R1. They couldn't also make it the most powerful or it would have been the only weapon used in the game.

as mentioned lightning blows now....get 30 faith and throw on the darkmoon or sunlight blade....then get back to me about damage limitation. 30 faith also enables you to throw lightning bolts and use the force like Vader.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sasaki_Kojirō

Like Vader you say...... hmm lol. im on it!

The wiki link was a interesting read, cool indeed.

Is there a speed difference between the uchi and washing pole? would buy the Washing Pole but 20k... is a bit much at the moment for me.

When you say got nurf, been looking at the wiki but cant find the numbers on nurfs! any ideas, we talking 20-30 or 100?
Also how much dmg does Darkmoon spell add?

After look at everything think as im gana go Dex 30-35 later on 45 would it be better to use uchi or at that level no difference? gana keep my strength around 22-25

Thanks you & EasyMode :)

EasyMode

When you say got nurf, been looking at the wiki but cant find the numbers on nurfs! any ideas, we talking 20-30 or 100?
Also how much dmg does Darkmoon spell add?

After look at everything think as im gana go Dex 30-35 later on 45 would it be better to use uchi or at that level no difference? gana keep my strength around 22-25

A lightning Uchi +5 used to do 498 damage, now it's 450.

If you want to see exactly how much your attack rating will be based on X stats check out the character planner: http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/

Another thing to consider when comparing normal vs elemental is damage splitting. A normal weapon weapon's damage will only be reduced by an enemy's physical defense. A lightning weapon's damage will be reduced by an enemy's physical AND lightning defense. So in practice, a normal Uchi +15 rated at 420 damage (at 40 Dex, pure physical damage) will do more damage than a lightning Uchi +5 rated at 450 damage (which is half physical, half lightning damage).

Darkmoon blade damage depends on your faith, covenant level, and talisman. Using the planner I posted, at 30 faith & using the canvas talisman, the spell adds 361 magic damage. Add that to an Uchi +15 at 40 dex, and you've got an attack rating of 781.

Sajjaja

glhf!! gratz on getting that far solo! we will have to do it together after you're done! I almost have the DLC open on this character!

Yep! Don't worry, I also have another character who's level 55 and hasn't done the DLC yet. Either character works for me. I was checking to see if you were on while I was playing but to no avail.

It's so cool to have seen all
4 of the Knights of Gwyn in the game. Randomly walked back to the arena where I fought Artorias and I see Ciaran mourning him. My instinct was to not give her the soul, but I did. I kind of regret it since I would have got the tracer's anyway had I killed her. Is her set female only? I also saw Gough and damn he is a huge mofo! I'll probably kill him before I start NG+ to get his gear.

Akito

It's so cool to have seen all
4 of the Knights of Gwyn in the game. Randomly walked back to the arena where I fought Artorias and I see Ciaran mourning him. My instinct was to not give her the soul, but I did. I kind of regret it since I would have got the tracer's anyway had I killed her. Is her set female only? I also saw Gough and damn he is a huge mofo! I'll probably kill him before I start NG+ to get his gear.
There is no gender specific armor set in this game and thank god for that.

Top Bottom