• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Ledsen

Yep! Don't worry, I also have another character who's level 55 and hasn't done the DLC yet. Either character works for me. I was checking to see if you were on while I was playing but to no avail.

It's so cool to have seen all
4 of the Knights of Gwyn in the game. Randomly walked back to the arena where I fought Artorias and I see Ciaran mourning him. My instinct was to not give her the soul, but I did. I kind of regret it since I would have got the tracer's anyway had I killed her. Is her set female only? I also saw Gough and damn he is a huge mofo! I'll probably kill him before I start NG+ to get his gear.

What! How do you get her to appear?

invisibleB

Neo Member
A lightning Uchi +5 used to do 498 damage, now it's 450.

If you want to see exactly how much your attack rating will be based on X stats check out the character planner: http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/

Another thing to consider when comparing normal vs elemental is damage splitting. A normal weapon weapon's damage will only be reduced by an enemy's physical defense. A lightning weapon's damage will be reduced by an enemy's physical AND lightning defense. So in practice, a normal Uchi +15 rated at 420 damage (at 40 Dex, pure physical damage) will do more damage than a lightning Uchi +5 rated at 450 damage (which is half physical, half lightning damage).

Darkmoon blade damage depends on your faith, covenant level, and talisman. Using the planner I posted, at 30 faith & using the canvas talisman, the spell adds 361 magic damage. Add that to an Uchi +15 at 40 dex, and you've got an attack rating of 781.

781..... WooooW i thought you was gana say Darkmoon was gana add like 50-70! But thats number you said is just RaDonCulus! lol choice has been made for me.

Thanks

Anyway on to my next question lol. just gave 30 humanity to the chaos servant cov! wana leave now to join other covs but wiki says
i must open shortcut to izalith first! or ill have to give another 30 humanity if i need to region, to open path as didnt before i left. iv been looking everywhere cant find how to open the path!! dont tel me i can only open it from the other end? i wana leave the cov and i dont know how long before i get to the demon area? am i doing something wrong or is this shortcut oneway and can only be open on the way back? if thats the case can i do the demon area now? is it hard? reason being i wana join darkmoon & the forest covs as im going there next...

iv just got the lordvesel thought idd upgrade my pyro first. so did all this.... help!

Lol, trying to go through relatively blind is definitely testing my patience at times. O&S was quite ridiculous for some reason for me where I haven't had much trouble with bosses otherwise.

haha yeah, I did very little wiki reading for my first run until I hit a major wall just past where you are now so reading your posts is bringing back a lot of fond memories

is the online still messed up on PS3?

last time i tried playing the messages and items etc often wouldn't show up. not gonna bother trying to beat the DLC until stuff actually works.

invisibleB

Neo Member
Going back to my post last night about izalith
The wiki said, shortcut to demon ruins MAY? still be opened from izalith side to the demon ruins, even if your not part of the Chaos cov lvl 2?
is that correct?

Thanks

Sajjaja

well it wasn't that many weeks ago when it had problems. but they are gone now?

If you mean glow effects(as in the buff effect, messages glow, glow of items on the floor) then no. I have that issue only in the DLC but its not all the time. Just when a lot of shit is in the screen.

If you mean glow effects(as in the buff effect, messages glow, glow of items on the floor) then no. I have that issue only in the DLC but its not all the time. Just when a lot of shit is in the screen.

:( well to me it happened all the time, last time i played. damnit..

elohel

781..... WooooW i thought you was gana say Darkmoon was gana add like 50-70! But thats number you said is just RaDonCulus! lol choice has been made for me.

Thanks

Anyway on to my next question lol. just gave 30 humanity to the chaos servant cov! wana leave now to join other covs but wiki says
i must open shortcut to izalith first! or ill have to give another 30 humanity if i need to region, to open path as didnt before i left. iv been looking everywhere cant find how to open the path!! dont tel me i can only open it from the other end? i wana leave the cov and i dont know how long before i get to the demon area? am i doing something wrong or is this shortcut oneway and can only be open on the way back? if thats the case can i do the demon area now? is it hard? reason being i wana join darkmoon & the forest covs as im going there next...

iv just got the lordvesel thought idd upgrade my pyro first. so did all this.... help!

if you're looking for the shortcut in the room where you donate humanity that isn't the right place not sure if that helps

Hagi

Man this game kicks my ass struggled through the Gargoyles and i've just killed the Moonlight Butterfly after like 5 attempts now i'm at a loss where to go. I must say so far i'm enjoying this a hell of a lot more than Demon Souls thank god for Durante.

invisibleB

Neo Member
if you're looking for the shortcut in the room where you donate humanity that isn't the right place not sure if that helps

Yea figured that i was looking in the wrong place! was playing into early hours of the morning :( mind wasnt working! and some tit left a fake sign on the flor saying shortcut & chest..... lol.

But want to know this
The wiki said, shortcut to demon ruins MAY? still be opened from izalith side to the demon ruins, even if your not part of the Chaos cov lvl 2?
is that correct?

Thanks

Oh and sorry people looked a few post back, didnt notice people were talking about this same thing a day ago.. ops lol. My questions a little different though, any help?

invisibleB

Neo Member
hi people, whats better Greatsword of Artorias or the Greatsword of Artorias(Cursed)??? i was going to make the cursed version to take down to New Londo Ruins but the wiki says the normal version is one of the best weapons in the game.... what do you guys think??
Also the normal version says its divine on the wiki, is that occult or holy divine any one know?

Oh and something strange just happened, i went to abandon the chaos cov through Oswald. Checked my sins when i was there, said i have none (always check just to make sure as im trying not to sin). Then i went back to get
The Painted World key, Ps boss is a walk in the park... after i died a few times that is lol!!... on my way there had to kill the guy who gives you the Estus flask, as he was attacking me assumed he was hollow and crazy now. Then i went & joined Forest Hunter cov, went the back way! Found it after killing the Hydra so didnt have to kill any Forest Hunters! joined then i talked to Shiva. Then i went to Blighttown to buy my blades.. lol. Thought ok id better go back to Oswald and abandon as probably will find a new one in next area.
checked if i had sinned (its a habit now) to my shockkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk the creepy bastard said i had sinned!!!..... wtf?? i did nothing, been extra extra carefully playing as already restarted the game once. whats goin on?? even went back to the forest hunter cov leader she was as cool as a Cat :) so cant be that. Only thing i can think of is the
estus flask guy...? is that a sin? wiki was talking about forest hunter being bugged but no one died as never got any souls!! oh and i killed the wolf after this.
so ummm??

Man this game kicks my ass struggled through the Gargoyles and i've just killed the Moonlight Butterfly after like 5 attempts now i'm at a loss where to go. I must say so far i'm enjoying this a hell of a lot more than Demon Souls thank god for Durante.
The guy at Firelink tells you about ringing two bells - one above, one below. Gargoyles was one, now on to the other one by way of a key you picked up for a location you already passed, Sunbro.

Dresden

hi people, whats better Greatsword of Artorias or the Greatsword of Artorias(Cursed)??? i was going to make the cursed version to take down to New Londo Ruins but the wiki says the normal version is one of the best weapons in the game.... what do you guys think??
Also the normal version says its divine on the wiki, is that occult or holy divine any one know?
Divine is divine, think of it as holy damage. Either version of the swords are trash. There's also a superior version in the DLC content.

Anyone beating the game solo? I did it in the first 2 playthroughs, then started messing around with people, summoning people is so much fun, especially with invaders lol.

Mephala

Oh and something strange just happened, i went to abandon the chaos cov through Oswald. Checked my sins when i was there, said i have none (always check just to make sure as im trying not to sin). Then i went back to get
The Painted World key, Ps boss is a walk in the park... after i died a few times that is lol!!... on my way there had to kill the guy who gives you the Estus flask, as he was attacking me assumed he was hollow and crazy now. Then i went & joined Forest Hunter cov, went the back way! Found it after killing the Hydra so didnt have to kill any Forest Hunters! joined then i talked to Shiva. Then i went to Blighttown to buy my blades.. lol. Thought ok id better go back to Oswald and abandon as probably will find a new one in next area.
checked if i had sinned (its a habit now) to my shockkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk the creepy bastard said i had sinned!!!..... wtf?? i did nothing, been extra extra carefully playing as already restarted the game once. whats goin on?? even went back to the forest hunter cov leader she was as cool as a Cat :) so cant be that. Only thing i can think of is the
estus flask guy...? is that a sin? wiki was talking about forest hunter being bugged but no one died as never got any souls!! oh and i killed the wolf after this.
so ummm??

Your sin probably came from
attacking and killing Priscilla, as she was never hostile towards you without you first striking at her. She offers you a way out behind her and begs that you leave.

Divine weapons just deals a little extra damage to skeletons and undead type enemy. It will also stop necromancers reviving skeletons. Occult will deal a little more damage to human type enemies such as Silver Knights. Both Divine and Occult usually also add magic damage.

Neither the True Great Sword of Artorias or the Cursed one are very good. Transient Curses are all you really need to fight ghosts and Ghosts are only in the New Londo Ruins any way. The True sword will give you high damage if you have high stats in Str, Dex (C scaling) and particularly Int and Faith (B scaling). All that combined will give good damage but the investment isn't really worth it. You will either need to be a very high level for it to pay off or sacrifice points elsewhere such as in Endurance or Vitality, which is not recommended. If you're set on using one, I'd take the Cursed sword. It requires less investment in Faith and Intelligence and its damage isn't split between physical and magic.

I personally prefer other greatswords, though. The DLC's Abyss Greatsword has a pretty nice moveset. Not the most practical but I'll be damned if it isn't cool looking.

invisibleB

Neo Member
Your sin probably came from
attacking and killing Priscilla, as she was never hostile towards you without you first striking at her. She offers you a way out behind her and begs that you leave.

Divine weapons just deals a little extra damage to skeletons and undead type enemy. It will also stop necromancers reviving skeletons. Occult will deal a little more damage to human type enemies such as Silver Knights. Both Divine and Occult usually also add magic damage.

Neither the True Great Sword of Artorias or the Cursed one are very good. Transient Curses are all you really need to fight ghosts and Ghosts are only in the New Londo Ruins any way. The True sword will give you high damage if you have high stats in Str, Dex (C scaling) and particularly Int and Faith (B scaling). All that combined will give good damage but the investment isn't really worth it. You will either need to be a very high level for it to pay off or sacrifice points elsewhere such as in Endurance or Vitality, which is not recommended. If you're set on using one, I'd take the Cursed sword. It requires less investment in Faith and Intelligence and its damage isn't split between physical and magic.

I personally prefer other greatswords, though. The DLC's Abyss Greatsword has a pretty nice moveset. Not the most practical but I'll be damned if it isn't cool looking.

Hi thanks for reply, got the item but havent done the painted world yet!! so couldn't have got sin from there... Still dont know!... As no NPC's are hostile and i havent invaded anyone. not even in forest hunter.

Just wanted to use the sword as wana try most weapons, got nothing else to do with that soul... Unless you think i should make the shield?
The DLC Abyss sword is on my list :)

Thanks

moop1167

I brought my Balder Side Sword up to +15 last night and got owned in pvp by a guy. I got a backstab off and it did 10% damage. WTF? Then somehow the other guy backstabs me when he wasn't behind me? This isn't fun.

Sajjaja

I brought my Balder Side Sword up to +15 last night and got owned in pvp by a guy. I got a backstab off and it did 10% damage. WTF? Then somehow the other guy backstabs me when he wasn't behind me? This isn't fun.

lol, lag stabs. Welcome to Dark Souls PVP.

moop1167

lol, lag stabs. Welcome to Dark Souls PVP.

Yeah but he killed me in 1 hit? My backstab literally did 10% damage. I have my weapon totally maxed out. Sounds like I'll be at a disadvantage then.

But I put on my forest covenant ring and got sent into his world. Could he have been super high level? He was wearing insane armor and had a lightning spear that didn't look like a normal spear.

Akito

Yeah but he killed me in 1 hit? My backstab literally did 10% damage. I have my weapon totally maxed out. Sounds like I'll be at a disadvantage then.

But I put on my forest covenant ring and got sent into his world. Could he have been super high level? He was wearing insane armor and had a lightning spear that didn't look like a normal spear.
He could have been on a very high level, the cat covenant ring ignores the upper level range for invasions. Or he might just have been a vitality build and equipped with the hornet ring for maximum backstab damage.

Sajjaja

How much health you got, and what level are you? Can you describe the armor?

moop1167

How much health you got, and what level are you? Can you describe the armor?

My vit is 20, and I am SL49. Doing a dex build with the balder side sword, so end and dex are at like 28.

Not really sure on the armor, it may not have been anything unique but the helm was kind of cylindrical (like tall and skiny). I can't raelly remember.

My vit is 20, and I am SL49. Doing a dex build with the balder side sword, so end and dex are at like 28.

Not really sure on the armor, it may not have been anything unique but the helm was kind of cylindrical (like tall and skiny). I can't raelly remember.

with only 20 vit you can be ohko backstabbed by a lot of things.

moop1167

with only 20 vit you can be ohko backstabbed by a lot of things.

Hmm, yeah. Well I don't know what level I should be at so I am afraid to level up too much. I just finished Anor Londo and went through New Londo (standing in front of 4K). I still have to do Catacombs and anything else that comes after Anor Londo.

chunk3rvd

Looking at double-dipping on the PS3 version while Zavvi have it for £14.99. Will it use my original Dark Souls save and the same trophy set?

NM - answered in another thread. Don't think I can face the loss of my 300+ hour save as I still haven't finished with my original character

Makes it hard to get back into the game right now though knowing that so much changed with the recent patches. All my old equipment setups will be redundant due to masks and rings not providing the same effects and a lot of my favourtie weapons might not be as good anymore. Read every page in all 4 OT's for about 10 months but I've been out of the loop for the last few and it feels like effort trying to catch up on all the patch changes. Guess I'll just have to find a site that lists everything in one place so I can get my head around it all

Akito

Looking at double-dipping on the PS3 version while Zavvi have it for £14.99. Will it use my original Dark Souls save and the same trophy set?
Same trophy set but the saves from the original version are not compatible with the PtD version. Yeah, it's Bamco.

moop1167

Just got to 4 Kings... umm, there is zero chance I can beat these guys. +15 balder side sword barely doing any damage. Guy picks me up and breathes in my face for half my health. Can't dodge his attacks. Fuck.

chunk3rvd

Just got to 4 Kings... umm, there is zero chance I can beat these guys. +15 balder side sword barely doing any damage. Guy picks me up and breathes in my face for half my health. Can't dodge his attacks. Fuck.

Have you tried summoning the NPC help? Just round the corner from the entrance and may help take the aggro away at times

upandaway

Are you really +15 at the 4 Kings? That's pretty crazy.

I can't really say anything about your weapon for the fight, though.. the only real advice I'm qualified to give for that fight is "dude, pyromancy"

Sajjaja

Yeah they can be pretty damn hard, especially when all 4 of them get on you. I realize that sounds really wrong, but once all 4 spawn, I think it's nigh impossible.

How I had to do it the first time was equip my heaviest set(Havel's for me), 2h my weapon and just charge one as soon as possible.

chunk3rvd

Before I download the latest patch I was hoping to use the BB glitch on my main character a few times so I could try out a few different builds. I'm just wondering - I know that if you already have Sunlight and Darkmoon blade before you do the BB glitch you can't get them on the duped characters. Since I've never picked up these miracles does anyone know if I'll still be able to get them on the characters I crate using the glitch?

moop1167

Ugh, I want to solo these since I've soloed everything else. I also have my guy built to be a dex + quick moving type character. Putting on heavy gear goes against what I want my guy to be, and feels like cheating a bit. I am doing this to myself!!

I did try 2 handing my weapon but I can't dodge the first guy's attacks... he hits me every time. I am rolling too but still being hit.

Dresden

I'm rolling right as this guy swings and still being hit for 75% of my health. So dumb.

You timed it wrong then.

If you don't want to dump on heavy armor, though, that's fine too. Maybe toss on a Wolf Ring (you find it early on in Darkroot Basin if you explored), that should be enough to tank a stray hit or two. And with a +15 weapon, at the very least put a Charcoal Resin on it - the Balder Side Sword is built for enchanting with weapon buffs.

moop1167

You timed it wrong then.

If you don't want to dump on heavy armor, though, that's fine too. Maybe toss on a Wolf Ring (you find it early on in Darkroot Basin if you explored), that should be enough to tank a stray hit or two. And with a +15 weapon, at the very least put a Charcoal Resin on it - the Balder Side Sword is built for enchanting with weapon buffs.

Well then I have a slow roll if I take off my Havel ring. I am fucked. I can't dodge this attack where the guy picks me up.

upandaway

Yeah they can be pretty damn hard, especially when all 4 of them get on you. I realize that sounds really wrong, but once all 4 spawn, I think it's nigh impossible.

How I had to do it the first time was equip my heaviest set(Havel's for me), 2h my weapon and just charge one as soon as possible.
I might as well ask this now - are 5 guys supposed to spawn even if you only kill 4?

It happened to me every time I tried. Aside from the first one, there were always at least 2 around - even the last one had a 5th guy spawn shortly after I killed the 3rd.

Always seemed weird to me since the boss is called 4 kings.

Dresden

Well then I have a slow roll if I take off my Havel ring. I am fucked. I can't dodge this attack where the guy picks me up.
Take off some of your armor then. Having poise and a good number of flasks helps a ton in this fight.
I might as well ask this now - are 5 guys supposed to spawn even if you only kill 4?

It happened to me every time I tried. Aside from the first one, there were always at least 2 around - even the last one had a 5th guy spawn shortly after I killed the 3rd.

Always seemed weird to me since the boss is called 4 kings.
It's dependent on their healthbar. You can spawn less than four kings if you do enough damage to each one too.

invisibleB

Neo Member
Wait how would taking off armor help my poise? You mean pick a chest piece with a ton of poise and drop other gear?

Im stuck on the same boss... fuck these guys!! first time iv wanted to throw my disk away...... feel like putting the game in a abyss lol. lost 50k souls on them and 40k yesterday but that was elsewhere.... :(

I tried looking for co-op, no players anywhere though!! is there a place where people put there summon signs as no bonfire?

Top Bottom