• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

moop1167

No I haven't beaten them. I am fine with their physical attacks now but I don't know how to dodge their magic AOE attack and the other magic attacks.

Calling it quits for tonight though... probably 12 tries and can't get past the 2nd one.

Tilian

Banned
im soul level 65, does that make a difference as i thought you could co-op with anyone not just your level? is that wrong?

The standard equation as I understand it is SL x .10 +10 = the range you can summon. So at SL65 you can summon players +/- 16.5 levels (which would exclude me unless you level up).

6for8

No I haven't beaten them. I am fine with their physical attacks now but I don't know how to dodge their magic AOE attack and the other magic attacks.

Calling it quits for tonight though... probably 12 tries and can't get past the 2nd one.

The key to this fight is how much pain you can inflict on the kings. +15 balder sword is quick and will work fine. If you can buff it with great magic weapon or crystal magic weapon, you will spend time waiting for the next king to spawn. If not, just use charcoal resin.

If you swing, swing then roll to his left and try to stay behind or to his side he shouldn't grab you. Keep close. If you are close they usually won't even use their magic until there are two of them.Kill one, ready your crest shield and run to the next as it spawns.

Grass shield will boost your stamina but if you are getting hit with the spells, use the crest shield.

PowerWithin will boost your damage output by 40%. Use it but keep your flasks handy.

Common areas for signs are at the start of the level where you pick up the transient curses and near the boss fog. Do not summon the NPC, she is useless and the Kings will spawn faster. Better to do it solo.

Dresden

Wait how would taking off armor help my poise? You mean pick a chest piece with a ton of poise and drop other gear?

You mentioned that dropping Havel's ring would get you slow rolling, so - cut the weight, toss Wolf Ring on. Alternatively do what you just posted.

Bit of poise + two handing a decent weapon is key. It's a damage race.

Also, for the magic attacks, the AOE attacks can be avoided by rolling away from the King, but the magic beam thing they fire--they travel slowly--I think you'll just have to tank if you're a little distance away. Crest Shield helps.

Watch this, take heart.

Soulhouf

I might as well ask this now - are 5 guys supposed to spawn even if you only kill 4?

It happened to me every time I tried. Aside from the first one, there were always at least 2 around - even the last one had a 5th guy spawn shortly after I killed the 3rd.

Always seemed weird to me since the boss is called 4 kings.

I saw 7 of them in my no upgrade run.

Ledsen

Don't torture yourself. Havel's set, stand in front of them and 2-hand dat BSS, ignoring their attacks. They won't have time to kill you.

Soulhouf

@moop1167: This is a damage race battle, so forget all you've learned until now and try to do the highest damage possible as fast as you can.
Here is how to do it with a fast character:
- Take off your clothes. Defense doesn't matter, poise does. Wolf ring + piece of Havel/Stone armor will do.
- Power within is a key in this fight. It improves your attack 40% and your stamina will regenerate faster -> more swings, stronger swings!
- Regarding which shield, I recommend Dark Hand because it absorbs pretty well the AoE attack and is very light. But you can equip the Grass Crest Shield for the stamina regen. You don't really need a shield other than to block the magic attack so you can equip Dark Hand and Grass Crest Shield and switch between them depending on the situation.
- The closer you are to the King, the safer you are. It's counter intuitive but you should figured that out by now. If the king does the grab attack, roll to the right and you should have no problem dodging it.
- Use whatever buff you have: grass to improve your stamina regen, resin to add fire/lightning effect. The stamina regen stacks.

Also, doing this fight solo isn't really harder than co-op because the spawn time decreases when you sommon phantoms.

Good luck!

Ronian

Neo Member
So the main difference between vanilla version and the prepare to die edition is, that the dlc is on disc? Or is there any other reason to buy it instead of the vanilla (already own it) and buying the DLC separately? Thanks!

Just wanted to share how much fun im having with this game.

I just defeated
Nito
and I think I only have 2 choices now, I can give his soul to open
the door behind the flame or I can go to the lava world behind Quelaag.

Not really sure what to do now.

Another question, I have been using Frampt as a souls bank account using the Dung Pie trick, am I screwed If I havent retrieved them? When is the last chance I can use him before he disappears?

Sajjaja

Just wanted to share how much fun im having with this game.

I just defeated
Nito
and I think I only have 2 choices now, I can give his soul to open
the door behind the flame or I can go to the lava world behind Quelaag.

Not really sure what to do now.

Another question, I have been using Frampt as a souls bank account using the Dung Pie trick, am I screwed If I havent retrieved them? When is the last chance I can use him before he disappears?

You can only open that door after going through that "lava world" because you need 4 Lord souls, one of which is behind that lava world.

Akito

So the main difference between vanilla version and the prepare to die edition is, that the dlc is on disc? Or is there any other reason to buy it instead of the vanilla (already own it) and buying the DLC separately? Thanks!
Yeah, the DLC is on disc and aside from the new slick cover, there's really no reason to buy the console PtD edition if you already have the original game. The PC version comes with a new and pretty nice artbook and a poster though so that might be more interesting.

Man, I forgot how awkward the boss at the end of Sen's Fortress could be. First time I forgot to kill the dude up top so I just got smashed by boulders, then the second time I killed him and went through the gate. First smash of the boss sends me flying off the fortress down to my death below :'(

It's amazing that stuff like this stressed me out originally because I was losing 4/5k souls. Now on my second playthrough I just shrug it off!

Ronian

Neo Member
Yeah, the DLC is on disc and aside from the new slick cover, there's really no reason to buy the console PtD edition if you already have the original game. The PC version comes with a new and pretty nice artbook and a poster though so that might be more interesting.

Thanks! ;)

moop1167

Got to the 4th king but as I was charging him he shot me with that double homing magic attack and it killed me in one hit because there is no way to dodge it. Seems fair.

Cmagus

Just went to play this and there is no option to load a game it looks like my saves are gone anyone have this problem happen? I really haven't done anything or deleted anything so why they seem to be gone is odd.

moop1167

Praise the sun. Just gotta get lucky that the stupid double attack doesn't happen, and it didn't that round. Not even that hard of a fight once you know the attacks. I just have zero depth perception in there so half my attacks were missing and I was running out of endurance, so I couldn't dodge shit.

zkylon

zkylewd
Got to the 4th king but as I was charging him he shot me with that double homing magic attack and it killed me in one hit because there is no way to dodge it. Seems fair.
You're supposed to shield it, but yeah, it's a shitty attack, as is the grab. 4Ks would've been a fun boss if you could dodge all of their attacks.

moop1167

You're supposed to shield it, but yeah, it's a shitty attack, as is the grab. 4Ks would've been a fun boss if you could dodge all of their attacks.

I got them anyway. But yeah, when I am rushing at the guy to get close so he can't spear me the last thing I am thinking is to try to block slow-moving homing magic missles that I can't tell how close they are to me lol. Oh well, fuckers are dead now.

Ilive1up

just started playing dark souls for the first time today. in about 2 hours i made it past the taurus demon demon. lord, this game is unforgiving. i'm liking it, though. any tips for a newbie?

Vaporak

just started playing dark souls for the first time today. in about 2 hours i made it past the taurus demon demon. lord, this game is unforgiving. i'm liking it, though. any tips for a newbie?

Don't read guides, try and figure stuff out for yourself, try and beat bosses without summoning. More rewarding that way.

Czigga

Shit I just killed Lautrec to revive Firelink Firekeeper. But I upgraded my flask instead. But I'd read you can use any firekeeper soul to revive her which is why I upgraded my flask. But now that I got another firekeeper soul I still can't revive her. Is there something I'm missing or am I fucked?

willooi

Shit I just killed Lautrec to revive Firelink Firekeeper. But I upgraded my flask instead. But I'd read you can use any firekeeper soul to revive her which is why I upgraded my flask. But now that I got another firekeeper soul I still can't revive her. Is there something I'm missing or am I fucked?

Sorry to break it to you, but her soul is unique and you can't use any other generic firekeeper souls to revive her.

She's gone =(

Caerith

• When you meet an NPC selling Purging Stones, buy some.
  • Save your Humanity for kindling bonfires and turning human so you can summon NPCs before boss fights (the first NPC summoning mark is at the top of a church). Humanity is rare and hard to farm until you reach the bonfire in the Depths-- then it's easy to farm.
  • Spend souls on upgrading weapons and armor and getting new spells and stuff instead of on grinding stats. You get more return for your investment that way, especially early on.
  • Explore. There are many non-obvious paths and many secrets. Don't be afraid to die if it helps you learn something.
  • Summoning makes a world of difference, but be careful. Summoning NPCs is never game-breaking, but summoning player help can destroy your encounters (I mean, if the white phantom you summon is running around one-shotting everything in sight are you really going to have fun?).
  • Never feel like you have to level up just to beat something. This isn't Final Fantasy, and you can beat the game at level 1.

There is one way to get her back.
Beat the game and start NG+. Sorry man, but at least you can warp now, right?

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
  • When you meet an NPC selling Purging Stones, buy some.
  • Save your Humanity for kindling bonfires and turning human so you can summon NPCs before boss fights (the first NPC summoning mark is at the top of a church). Humanity is rare and hard to farm until you reach the bonfire in the Depths-- then it's easy to farm.
  • Spend souls on upgrading weapons and armor and getting new spells and stuff instead of on grinding stats. You get more return for your investment that way, especially early on.
  • Explore. There are many non-obvious paths and many secrets. Don't be afraid to die if it helps you learn something.
  • Summoning makes a world of difference, but be careful. Summoning NPCs is never game-breaking, but summoning player help can destroy your encounters (I mean, if the white phantom you summon is running around one-shotting everything in sight are you really going to have fun?).
  • Never feel like you have to level up just to beat something. This isn't Final Fantasy, and you can beat the game at level 1.
This is some of the best, non-spoilerish, most newbie-friendly advice I've ever seen, so well done.

Only thing I would add is whenever you meet any NPC, ever, always listen carefully to everything they have to say. Talk to them until they start repeating themselves. There's not a great deal of dialogue in the game, but the little there is really counts.

Item descriptions are more useful (and interesting) than they initially appear as well.
Just take your time and savour every encounter (good or bad). Can't stress that enough!

Caerith

This is some of the best, non-spoilerish, most newbie-friendly advice I've ever seen, so well done.

Only thing I would add is whenever you meet any NPC, ever, always listen carefully to everything they have to say. Talk to them until they start repeating themselves. There's not a great deal of dialogue in the game, but the little there is really counts.

Item descriptions are more useful (and interesting) than they initially appear as well.
Just take your time and savour every encounter (good or bad). Can't stress that enough!
Thank you. +1 on talk to NPCs until they repeat themselves, but also re-visit those same NPCs because they'll have something new to say too. (Also, if you rescue a certain gold-armored NPC, make sure you have souls on hand before you talk to him at Firelink Shrine-- sometimes he offers to sell you advice, and he gets upset if you decline to buy it.)

Also NPC related: You'll meet friendly NPCs in the strangest places, try not to make enemies of them or, worse, kill them. If you're sneaking along and scared and don't know if that's a friend or an enemy up ahead, you can't lock on to NPCs. Just keep inching forward until a) you lock on, b) they try to kill you, or c) you're prompted to talk to them.

Roll to break furniture, jars, etc-- don't attack.

Man, I just had a way underpowered fight with S+O. Ran there solo, and was going to try them solo until I saw a summon sign right outside their gate and chickened out. Good thing I did because both of us took an utter BATTERING. I was resorting to staying as far back as I could using my pyromancy and he was doing the same with his soul arrows. By the end of the fight we both had a slither of health left and the fat bastard hit me with his hammer and I died. As I was fading away the guy I was with got one last hit in, BAM, it was enough to kill him and all I had to do was run back and collect my 100k souls.

It kinda felt a bit cheap to have it done after I had died, but it was a great thing to experience, nonetheless. Best battle I've had in the game, including my first playthrough.

Now I'm done with Londo... where is the new DLC stuff? I must be getting close, right?

Dresden

Man, I just had a way underpowered fight with S+O. Ran there solo, and was going to try them solo until I saw a summon sign right outside their gate and chickened out. Good thing I did because both of us took an utter BATTERING. I was resorting to staying as far back as I could using my pyromancy and he was doing the same with his soul arrows. By the end of the fight we both had a slither of health left and the fat bastard hit me with his hammer and I died. As I was fading away the guy I was with got one last hit in, BAM, it was enough to kill him and all I had to do was run back and collect my 100k souls.

It kinda felt a bit cheap to have it done after I had died, but it was a great thing to experience, nonetheless. Best battle I've had in the game, including my first playthrough.

Now I'm done with Londo... where is the new DLC stuff? I must be getting close, right?

Gotta kill
the hydra, activate Dusk, then open up Duke's Archive.

Mephala

Shit really? the Lava kills me immediately :(, what to do?

Beat
Ceaseless Discharge and you will lower the lava to move forward.
Pretty straight forward until you beat
Centrepede Demon. The orange charred ring he drops lowers lava damage allowing you to progress further.

Just got my game in yesterday and started playing for a bit. I'm at the bonfire near the blacksmith. Really enjoying the game so far, but I have a few questions.

What does turning human do for me?
What do different covenants do? I joined the first one I had the chance to, which was right at the beginning after I escaped the prison.

Just got my game in yesterday and started playing for a bit. I'm at the bonfire near the blacksmith. Really enjoying the game so far, but I have a few questions.

What does turning human do for me?
What do different covenants do? I joined the first one I had the chance to, which was right at the beginning after I escaped the prison.

Being human allows you to kindle bonfires (so that you get 10 estus rather than 5, or 15 or 20 if you have the Rite of Kindling), as well as summon other players to help you, or invade them.

Depends on the Covenant. Some of them (Darkwraith, Blade of the Darkmoon) are meant to invade other players, but others (Warrior of Sunlight, Princess' Guard) are meant to help other players.

Beat
Ceaseless Discharge and you will lower the lava to move forward.
Pretty straight forward until you beat
Centrepede Demon. The orange charred ring he drops lowers lava damage allowing you to progress further.

Thanks for the advice, I guess I need to explore more of the demon ruins after quelaag as I dont remember running into the boss you mentioned, gonna go back there as soon as im done looting
Tomb of the Giants.

If I remember correctly I only have the option to go down the ramp which leads to lava with the
Taurus Demons

But the last time I checked was like 30 hours ago in my save after I killed
Quelaag
, im way more poweful now.

Being human allows you to kindle bonfires (so that you get 10 estus rather than 5, or 15 or 20 if you have the Rite of Kindling), as well as summon other players to help you, or invade them.

Depends on the Covenant. Some of them (Darkwraith, Blade of the Darkmoon) are meant to invade other players, but others (Warrior of Sunlight, Princess' Guard) are meant to help other players.

Looks like I already joined Way of the White...if I want to leave to join another one later, are there any negative effects?

Top Bottom