• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
So I just killed the Taurus Demon and died after, unable to recover my souls again.

Goddammit.

MrOogieBoogie

Yeah, I know. Still sucks, though. This game feels more difficult than Demon's Souls (at least so far).

Just managed to kill a Black Knight in the Undead Burg using nothing but parry/riposte. Feels good, man. (Of course, I died again after, losing all my souls... thankfully I kept the items: Titanite Chunk and Black Knight Sword).

Btw, any general tips I should be aware of? I'm still unsure how exactly the bonfire system works.

Caerith

You can save some time by:
Coming from firelink, you can head past the first two ghosts, and instead of going up the stairs, you go to the right of them on drop down near the watery area, saving a lot of hassle when getting to the kings. Ends up only taking about a minute from the bonfire if you run past everything.
Oh, that is much better. Can't believe I thought running through the ghost building was a good idea.

Those kings, though.

Ledsen

Yeah, I know. Still sucks, though. This game feels more difficult than Demon's Souls (at least so far).

Just managed to kill a Black Knight in the Undead Burg using nothing but parry/riposte. Feels good, man. (Of course, I died again after, losing all my souls... thankfully I kept the items: Titanite Chunk and Black Knight Sword).

Btw, any general tips I should be aware of? I'm still unsure how exactly the bonfire system works.

Yeah knights are perfect to riposte, the easiest enemies to do so on IMO.

Bonfires are pretty simple. When you die or use a Homeward Bone, you return to the one you last sat down at (only lighting it doesn't count). When you sit down at one, all enemies respawn and you get full health and Estus.

upandaway

Yeah knights are perfect to riposte, the easiest enemies to do so on IMO.

Bonfires are pretty simple. When you die or use a Homeward Bone, you return to the one you last sat down at (only lighting it doesn't count). When you sit down at one, all enemies respawn and you get full health and Estus.
And spells!

It's kinda misleading that the game says a spell has "x uses" at the merchant/in the menu, yet they recharge per sitting at a bonfire.

Don't give up just because you lose a couple thousand souls and some humanity, as it's all very easy to get.

With a couple exceptions, all bosses are relatively easy to beat once you figure out their attack pattern. If you do, but they still kick your ass, you might need to go somewhere else first, or level up your equipment.

So I havent finished Dark Souls but my brother decided to get me Demon Souls for PS3, which I have never played and damn, it is so much easier to engage in jolly co-operation in the PS3.

Also, where is the Durante Fix for Demons souls? :(

Anyway, I should finish my play through of Dark Souls before I continue with Demon's, Im stuck in Dark trying to kill Manus and the damn
dragon in the DLC

Quikies83

Is it just me or the PC community is dead? I can't seem to find any good areas to coop and hardly anybody in the forest for me to be summon and pvp. I wanna try my Iron golem build.

It's not just you. It really is almost dead. I've switched back over to PS3 -- community is flourishing there.

It's not just you. It really is almost dead. I've switched back over to PS3 -- community is flourishing there.

I dont think its the community thats dead, is just that Games For Windows Live sucks, their netcode is shit and combine that with the weird online implementation of this game(multi server in same region), its almost impossible to get games going.

I was surprised yesterday how many messages/invasions/coop stuff there are in Demon Souls for Ps3 compared to the PC version of Dark Souls :(

upandaway

So I just.. beat.. the game?

It started over, so I guess I did. But.. uh?
I killed Gwyn who I assume turned Hollow, then touched the bonfire and burned and that's it.

Did I do something wrong, or did I miss some clue or skipped some cutscene? This is weird. I love the game and it's awesome but this ending.. it's weird. Can anyone help me out here?

Anyway I started playing a bit on NG+ because I didn't feel satisfied, and oh man, the shortcuts and open-world stuff just put a smile on my face. I just went straight to Queelag and rung the bell in maybe 15-20 minutes. That felt pretty nice.

I killed Gwyn who I assume turned Hollow, then touched the bonfire and burned and that's it.

Did I do something wrong, or did I miss some clue or skipped some cutscene? This is weird. I love the game and it's awesome but this ending.. it's weird. Can anyone help me out here?

Anyway I started playing a bit on NG+ because I didn't feel satisfied, and oh man, the shortcuts and open-world stuff just put a smile on my face. I just went straight to Queelag and rung the bell in maybe 15-20 minutes. That felt pretty nice.
Have you followed the plot? How can it be surprising that was the final boss?

That said, there is another ending.

You linked the fire, thus replacing Gwyn. If you had left without linking the fire, you'd have started the Age of Dark and you'd have seen a cutscene with the primordial serpents bowing down to you as their "Dark Lord"

Ledsen

Nope that's it. The story remains understated throughout the whole game including the ending.

Akito

That's probably everyone's reaction the first time they've beaten the game. The stories in the Souls game are primarily told through easily missable NPC dialogues and item descriptions, you really have to pay attention to all the details to be able to appreciate the stories. I would recommend everyone to watch EpicNameBro's lore videos on YT (of course only after the first playthough), be prepared to get your mind blown away by some of the discoveries.

upandaway

Have you followed the plot? How can it be surprising that was the final boss?

That said, there is another ending.

You linked the fire, thus replacing Gwyn. If you had left without linking the fire, you'd have started the Age of Dark and you'd have seen a cutscene with the primordial serpents bowing down to you as their "Dark Lord"
The final boss himself was fine, but I guess the ending passed over my head in the moment. I did know all the stuff, but it was a bit fast man.

I'll watch those videos too later

MrOogieBoogie

btw, as a Warrior melee build, what stats should I focus on updating first and foremost? Vitality? Endurance? Strength? Dexterity?

Caerith

btw, as a Warrior melee build, what stats should I focus on updating first and foremost? Vitality? Endurance? Strength? Dexterity?
Best stat is your weapon.

But really it does depend on your weapon choice and play style. Weapon damage scales from different stats, and your endurance goal should be based on what equipment you plan on wearing and how must stamina you'll need. Vitality also depends on how much HP you really need in your armor and play style to not get oneshotted.

So if you're early on, spend your souls on your weapon.

just beat kalameet on my NG+ SL1 run. after doing a SL1 no upgrade run, and then a NG+ SL1 run, i think i might be done with the game other than helping some friends out with co-op.

W2PBL.png

So I have been playing the last 20 hours of the game with a Zwehainder Lightning + 5, its pretty awesome but im getting bored with it.

What are other weapons that I can max out which would deal more damage with the same or faster speed of attack?

Is that dodge through the boulder in sen's not classed as a glitch? Just doesn't seem normal haha.

That whole run is insane though, makes me a feel a little inadequate at the game.

I am watching this speed run again and I wish I could see the person while he's doing it. Who is he/she by the way? I was literally gasping at some of the jumps he made and the fact that we was running into boss fights with minimal health. I kept thinking "don't take so much risk!", but then again, I looked at the clock and he was only 15 minutes in or so...

What weapon is he using up to / around the 21 minute mark (e.g. during the Golem fight)? Is that the DT axe? It's doing so much damage.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I am watching this speed run again and I wish I could see the person while he's doing it. Who is he/she by the way? I was literally gasping at some of the jumps he made and the fact that we was running into boss fights with minimal health. I kept thinking "don't take so much risk!", but then again, I looked at the clock and he was only 15 minutes in or so...

What weapon is he using up to / around the 21 minute mark (e.g. during the Golem fight)? Is that the DT axe? It's doing so much damage.

I believe it is the Blackknight Halberd

Edit: Holy shit at Lost Izalith in that speed run.

Caerith

DT = dragon tail? Couldn't be, he skipped the Depths.

He went low health so he could activate the red tearstone ring's hyper mode-- everything else was just dodging and sheer memorization.

He went low health so he could activate the red tearstone ring's hyper mode-- everything else was just dodging and sheer memorization.

Sorry, I meant Gargoyle. It's probably the Black Knight Halberd as mentioned above, which would also explain why he's venturing into the Darkroot Basin.

But is all goes so fast it blows my mind. I'm progressing (on my third playthrough, now with DLC) a few areas per week, and I can only memorize small parts of the game. My jaw is on the floor seeing this level of dedication.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

Doesn't he say in the description that he didn't use the Red tearstone ring for the run?

And yeah it's definitely the Black Knight Halberd.

Caerith

Doesn't he say in the description that he didn't use the Red tearstone ring for the run?

And yeah it's definitely the Black Knight Halberd.
Well he's using something that triggers on low health, why else is he deliberately getting hit before going into boss fights? You can see too where he equips the plank shield and tanks some hits early on just to trigger it.

Halberd drop was sheer luck. Wonder what weapon he would have used if it hadnt dropped.

Vaporak

So, anyone got any tips for getting darkmoon invasions to work? I'm trying to invade in Anor Londo with my SL66 guy and it's never worked. I just want the guilty to pay the price. :(

dummydecoy

Guys, a friend of mine is planning to buy the ps3 version tomorrow. Is that Blythe town framerate problem I read about fixed in this new Prepare to Die version?

Vaporak

Ahh damnit, my right bumper on my wired Xbox controller just started acting up mid combat. Hopefully it was just Darksouls being bad or something.

esai

just started playing today so i skipped all the posts for spoiler reasons, but holy shit this game is frustrating. im still enjoying it though. i learned real quick i cant just hack and slash.

Caerith

just started playing today so i skipped all the posts for spoiler reasons, but holy shit this game is frustrating. im still enjoying it though. i learned real quick i cant just hack and slash.
I think we've been pretty good about not spoiling stuff. But welcome!

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Is there anyone on the 360 who's around level 155-170 and would be willing to trade away their Xanthous Overcoat and Xanthous Gloves? I'm trying to find them without having to do another playthrough. I might have some stuff I could trade (Symbol of Avarice, Dark Wood Grain Ring).

upandaway

Oh crap oh shit, I totally forgot about the DLC.

Is it okay if I go for it in NG+ (I'm level ~82 right now)? Or should I make a new character? What level is the DLC balanced to in NG+?

I never ever tried anything connected to sorcery/miracles, so I could try a new character for that, if it's a better idea..

Akito

Oh crap oh shit, I totally forgot about the DLC.

Is it okay if I go for it in NG+ (I'm level ~82 right now)? Or should I make a new character? What level is the DLC balanced to in NG+?

I never ever tried anything connected to sorcery/miracles, so I could try a new character for that, if it's a better idea..
Somewhere between 90-100 with decent gears should be totally fine for NG+. But it's not a bad idea to play with an INT build either because the new sorcery spells, which can be found in the DLC are pretty awesome. It's your choice which way to go first.

Moaradin

Lost 70 hours because I was stupid enough to forget to back up my saves before I reformatted. Oh well, hopefully it will be easier to get caught up the second time :lol.

Lost 70 hours because I was stupid enough to forget to back up my saves before I reformatted. Oh well, hopefully it will be easier to get caught up the second time :lol.
Aren't the saves on some GFWL cloud? Do I really have to back them manually? I'm about to reformat my PC which is why I'm asking.

V_Arnold

Hm...It is about time to replay this beauty honoring the announcement of Dark Souls 2.

Anyone has a quick summary of what are the most big changes? I have not played it since 1.0.3, so not even the first big patch affected me.

Also, are bows viable in the long run? I am thinking of starting either someone relying on faith+maces, or a hunter... Hm.

upandaway

Okay so I saw the other ending (I watched my friend playing and he got it accidentally, after we tried to backtrack to not finish the game).

The dark ending is way, way better. I like this. That was pretty neat. Why didn't he have that badass walk in the first ending?! Then everything would've been dandy!

Anyway that was pretty great. Guess I know which ending I'm doing every time from now on.

Somewhere between 90-100 with decent gears should be totally fine for NG+. But it's not a bad idea to play with an INT build either because the new sorcery spells, which can be found in the DLC are pretty awesome. It's your choice which way to go first.
Hmm alright, if I can go with my normal dude comfortably, that's that. I'm nowhere near ready to let him go yet.

ParityBit

If I buy the steam version of this game (never played either) should I do the dsfix mentioned in the OP? Does that work with Steam?

And anything else I should know/do?

Thanks!

Akito

Anyone has a quick summary of what are the most big changes? I have not played it since 1.0.3, so not even the first big patch affected me.

http://darksouls.wikidot.com/game-patches

Also, are bows viable in the long run? I am thinking of starting either someone relying on faith+maces, or a hunter... Hm.
I'm considering making a bow/crossbow only run, no shields, weapons or magic. I can imagine that many of the regular enemies are much harder than the bosses that way.

Soulhouf

just beat kalameet on my NG+ SL1 run. after doing a SL1 no upgrade run, and then a NG+ SL1 run, i think i might be done with the game other than helping some friends out with co-op.

W2PBL.png

YOU DEFEATED!
Congratulations sir. Now you can do a SL1 NG+2 with Calamity Ring equipped lol

Top Bottom