• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Caerith

If I buy the steam version of this game (never played either) should I do the dsfix mentioned in the OP? Does that work with Steam?

And anything else I should know/do?

Thanks!
You should absolutely use DSFix. Also get the High-Res UI mod. You can find all the mods here: http://darksouls.nexusmods.com/mods/top/

Thinking on it, the PS3 buttons one looks interesting (I use Motioninjoy) but I'm so used to translating XBox prompts that it might just confuse me.

ParityBit

Thanks! COuple more questions.

1. Better on KB/Mouse or 360 controller?
  2. Are there usually sales on this on Steam? Its $40 right now. WOndering if I should wait a bit for a sale

Sajjaja

Thanks! COuple more questions.

1. Better on KB/Mouse or 360 controller?
  2. Are there usually sales on this on Steam? Its $40 right now. WOndering if I should wait a bit for a sale

Controller. And I think the game was $15 on steam last sale. So you might as well wait.

Booshka

Got summoned into a
Manus
NG+7 Boss run last night at level 100. That was a hoot; I noticed the host was only humanity healing and wondered why, then when I realized it was NG+7 (soul payout) I knew he was saving Estus so he could chug during the boss fight. Ran from Township bonfire to
Manus
in about 10 minutes pretty easy, entered the boss and 5 insane minutes later we beat him.

I was on my SL 100 Large Club Sunlight Blade character. Apparently weapon enchantments don't do much to the DLC bosses, but Power Within works on everything. Running Power Within during a NG+7 boss fight is risky, but the damage output is worth it. The host was so happy after we beat it, I wonder how many attempts he'd done.

Also, got my Platinum for the PS3 version yesterday, landed on the Avelyn first attempt ; ). I've 1000G it twice on 360 on two different accounts, when I get a PC, I'll 1000G that one too lol.

Sajjaja

Got summoned into a
Manus
NG+7 Boss run last night at level 100. That was a hoot; I noticed the host was only humanity healing and wondered why, then when I realized it was NG+7 (soul payout) I knew he was saving Estus so he could chug during the boss fight. Ran from Township bonfire to
Manus
in about 10 minutes pretty easy, entered the boss and 5 insane minutes later we beat him.

I was on my SL 100 Large Club Sunlight Blade character. Apparently weapon enchantments don't do much to the DLC bosses, but Power Within works on everything. Running Power Within during a NG+7 boss fight is risky, but the damage output is worth it. The host was so happy after we beat it, I wonder how many attempts he'd done.

Also, got my Platinum for the PS3 version yesterday, landed on the Avelyn first attempt ; ). I've 1000G it twice on 360 on two different accounts, when I get a PC, I'll 1000G that one too lol.

Grats on the platinum. You know there is a shortcut from Township bonfire to Manus right? It's just a 1-2 minute run from it.

Sajjaja

No, I don't, spoiler tag it.

If you noticed when you first came from the elevator leading to the Artorias boss fight, there was an elevator to the left of the one you just got off. If you unlock that, that will take you down to the Chasm of the Abyss much faster. To do that, you've got to go to the Chasm of the Abyss the tradtional way, and when you see Alvina, follow her. You will see her twice I believe, and the second time(if you follow the left wall) you will see an entrance to the left side which will take you to that elevator. Also, there is a hidden wall behind Alvina which, if you hit, you will meet a baby Sif.

Booshka

If you noticed when you first came from the elevator leading to the Artorias boss fight, there was an elevator to the left of the one you just got off. If you unlock that, that will take you down to the Chasm of the Abyss much faster. To do that, you've got to go to the Chasm of the Abyss the tradtional way, and when you see Alvina, follow her. You will see her twice I believe, and the second time(if you follow the left wall) you will see an entrance to the left side which will take you to that elevator. Also, there is a hidden wall behind Alvina which, if you hit, you will meet a baby Sif.

Oh I know that one, but if you are trying to summon people you can't use it because it is fog walled from the Township. I guess it would make sense if more people put their signs down right after that shortcut, but there isn't enough traffic for a host to want to sit there. Better off just chilling by Township bonfires and looking for signs there. I did use that shortcut when I was trying to kill the boss myself though.

KingKong

So I was talking to my friend about this, but which one do you think is harder, Dark Souls/Demon Souls or Ninja Gaiden Black?

I think Ninja Gaiden Black is much much harder, its way way faster, you have to get combos and move around the game world and if you get stuck, all you can do is get better (unlike DS where you can level up/get better weapons/summon someone)

ArynCrinn

Banned
So I was talking to my friend about this, but which one do you think is harder, Dark Souls/Demon Souls or Ninja Gaiden Black?

I think Ninja Gaiden Black is much much harder, its way way faster, you have to get combos and move around the game world and if you get stuck, all you can do is get better (unlike DS where you can level up/get better weapons/summon someone)

NGB on Master Ninja is a entirely different league of difficulty. Souls doesn't even compare.

feel

Guys I bought this game a couple of weeks ago but it's been sitting useless in my Steam library. Whenever I get to the main menu and try to start a new game or go into "PC settings" it crashes. Any advice?

Vaporak

I just had my first ever Darkmoon invasion work! Very ironic that it was in the forest though, I went there because I wanted PvP and the darkmoon orb never worked before. >.>

Czigga

man, I almost wish I had read faqs while playing this because
I think I just killed patches. or w/e his name is. I was making my way through tomb of the giants just freaking out, then I ran into this human in the darkness, answered his questions, excited about sharing my treasure with him that he showed me, and he just betrays me and kicks me into some dangerous hole. so I went back up and killed him in revenge, after he begged me to spare him. anyway, now I think I'm ficked and miss out on his items for sale. I also used fire link shrine keeper soul on estus flask upgrades instead of bringing her back to life. that sucked.

Sajjaja

Thanks for the tip! Got it for $20! I am reading the manual now and will start tomorrow! Any good tips? ;) Like a good class?

Thing about Dark Souls is that it doesn't really matter what class you start with in the end, only the beginning. Any class can use sorceries, any class can use pyromancies and any class can use melee weapons, it all depends on how you level your character.

I never have any idea what to do for weapons. I see people where I am (Bell Gargoyle) who already have some pretty strong axes, and all I have are long swords, a spear, and a halberd my stats don't even let me use effectively.

Caerith

I never have any idea what to do for weapons. I see people where I am (Bell Gargoyle) who already have some pretty strong axes, and all I have are long swords, a spear, and a halberd my stats don't even let me use effectively.
There's a blacksmith not far from you who can upgrade your weapons for you. Any weapon, once upgraded, is pretty strong, so it's largely just pick a weapon you like and start upgrading. At +5 and +10 there are branches for different types of upgrades as well.

I upgraded my starting hand axe to fire +7 (so far). It was pretty crappy when I was where you are.

2AdEPT

http://darksouls.wikidot.com/game-patches

I'm considering making a bow/crossbow only run, no shields, weapons or magic. I can imagine that many of the regular enemies are much harder than the bosses that way.

It is actually EZmode....playing my bows only character right now...just killed O&S first try first time never summoning help...Solaire helped but all I did was keep them behind pillars while I blasted them with the BBofP +15 and large arrows. Used 1 estus cause smough bull rushed me once. Many Mob's don't even aggrro at range....just pluck them off at range in one hit mostly...the giants in AL take three range hits each and don't even aggro.
man, I almost wish I had read faqs while playing this because
I think I just killed patches. or w/e his name is. I was making my way through tomb of the giants just freaking out, then I ran into this human in the darkness, answered his questions, excited about sharing my treasure with him that he showed me, and he just betrays me and kicks me into some dangerous hole. so I went back up and killed him in revenge, after he begged me to spare him. anyway, now I think I'm ficked and miss out on his items for sale. I also used fire link shrine keeper soul on estus flask upgrades instead of bringing her back to life. that sucked.

Yeah its a;ways better to keep that batard alive in the souls series...but you can use game save manager on PC to save your progress...its a free program and has been invaluable for me...plus there is a way to do it with the Durante fix as well.

Notwithstanding...patches masks are not that great anyway...you get once for killing pinwheel and the mother or Father one is better than the child(just because there are so many ways to increase stamina anyway.) hey all look ugly...so I stopped worrying about pathces for all my new playthroughs.

Akito

It is actually EZmode....playing my bows only character right now...just killed O&S first try first time never summoning help...Solaire helped but all I did was keep them behind pillars while I blasted them with the BBofP +15 and large arrows. Used 1 estus cause smough bull rushed me once. Many Mob's don't even aggrro at range....just pluck them off at range in one hit mostly...the giants in AL take three range hits each and don't even aggro.
I did started the run yesterday, only to get my ass kicked by the gargoyles several times, if I somehow managed to run through the room with all the dreglings that is. Well, I can still grind for some more souls to buy Heavy Arrows and leveling up a little, still at the Hunter's base level. How's Capra and his puppies with only the bow? Wish I could skip him but I had to choose the Fire Bombs to get rid of the Asylum Demon.

moop1167

So I decided to scrap my character after 60 hours or so lol. I kind of wanted to start fresh with a specific build in mind since I have completed 75% of the game and know a lot more now. I chose the master key this time around. What do people suggest I go after early-on this time? I was thinking of getting the very large ember right after the depths this time because I didn't even get it until well after Anor Londo during my previous "playthrough." I've already gotten to the gargoyles in barely 30 minutes of playtime so I think I am in good shape.

Also, I didn't realize the gargoyle helm was a really rare drop. It dropped off the first bell gargoyle fight last time and I found myself wearing it until I scrapped my guy. Hopefully I can get it to drop again.

upandaway

Do the crystal lizards in the great hollow respawn?
Oh my god wait what. I didn't recognize the area so I googled and what the hell? I missed an entire dang area?!

It's completely nuts that there's another illusory wall after the first one. How is that instinctual at all.

Guess I know what I'm doing next time I'm playing

Igo

Oh my god wait what. I didn't recognize the area so I googled and what the hell? I missed an entire dang area?!

It's completely nuts that there's another illusory wall after the first one. How is that instinctual at all.

Guess I know what I'm doing next time I'm playing
You missed ash lake too if you didn't go down the great hollow.

Caerith

Do the crystal lizards in the great hollow respawn?
They don't behave like the Demon's Souls crystal lizards, if that's what you're asking. They're once a playthrough, but if you fail to kill one then quitting/reloading will respawn them. (Sometimes you have to reload twice, I've had one that wasn't there but maybe I just was in the wrong place.)

ParityBit

How do you install the High Red UI and fonts correctly? I unzipped the file and put them in the dsfix/tex_override directory, and also set the override to 1 in the ini, but when I Start DS the text is WAY out of focus.

Edit:

I dropped two files, db8a58fa.dds and f9d8db89.dds in the directory ...

zkylon

zkylewd
Thanks for the tip! Got it for $20! I am reading the manual now and will start tomorrow! Any good tips? ;) Like a good class?
No problem, class is basically your starting stats, so don't pay too much worry to that, but you can't go wrong with Pyromancer or Wanderer.

Basically the same strategy is used through the whole game: keep your shield up, push forward slowly and carefully, always prioritize saving your own health over hurting the enemy's, ask in GAF/check guides whenever you're stuck (but try to do things on your own as much as possible) and don't despair if something's freaking you out, just take a break and try it later with a cool head, no game's worth losing your mind.

ParityBit

REMEMBER THIS

NO, I MEAN REALLY

REALLY REALLY REMEMBER THIS

Noted!! I am walking quite slow too. Just started and in the tutorial though :p Trying to get used to the controller, etc.

Is the only time you save at a bone fire? Trying to figure out the best time to quit playing

Ledsen

Noted!! I am walking quite slow too. Just started and in the tutorial though :p Trying to get used to the controller, etc.

Is the only time you save at a bone fire? Trying to figure out the best time to quit playing

It saves automatically constantly. Whenever you quit the game, you will resume at the exact same spot where you quit.

moop1167

Ugh, anyone have a toon that can help me get the Gargoyle Helm? I keep trying to kill the first one and drop out of the game but sometimes the other one spawns and I get owned.

Nevermind got it!

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Haven't seriously played PVP since they patched the bottomless box glitch. How has that affected PVP? For the better? Worse? Both?

edit: bleh wrong thread

Gonna start all over on Dark Souls I guess.

I played today for the first time in a long time. I'm in NG+ and I find out that my character is slow a shit with the Dark Wood Grain Ring. Before I was doing ninja flips and shit.

What happened? I had Sun Set with Washing Pole, Stam Helm and Great Shield of Artorias and 42 endur. Now I have to take the shield off or I'm slow as hell. Smells like nerf, guess i'll just start over.

I was Pyro/War before, what's a fun build nowadays? I'm looking for something new.

2AdEPT

I did started the run yesterday, only to get my ass kicked by the gargoyles several times, if I somehow managed to run through the room with all the dreglings that is. Well, I can still grind for some more souls to buy Heavy Arrows and leveling up a little, still at the Hunter's base level. How's Capra and his puppies with only the bow? Wish I could skip him but I had to choose the Fire Bombs to get rid of the Asylum Demon.

If you have done the bosses before its really easier...you get more time to hit things with bows as you don't have to be face to face...get used to baiting, back dodging and shooting....

yeah I guess my methods are real seasoned though...over 1500 hours of souls now.......so take with grain of salt....but getting the equip maxed was first priority before doing too many bosses.....getting stuff like the Havel ring, and the BBofP itself was difficult at low level but would be worse for people not as familiar with souls. I hve a +14 heavy crossbow but i tend not to use it as the time it takes to reload is not really much better than the bow anyway.

iirc you have to ensure your live account is set up and if you are doing the dsfix there are lots of parameters to tinker with.

Caerith

Gonna start all over on Dark Souls I guess.

I played today for the first time in a long time. I'm in NG+ and I find out that my character is slow a shit with the Dark Wood Grain Ring. Before I was doing ninja flips and shit.

What happened? I had Sun Set with Washing Pole, Stam Helm and Great Shield of Artorias and 42 endur. Now I have to take the shield off or I'm slow as hell. Smells like nerf, guess i'll just start over.

I was Pyro/War before, what's a fun build nowadays? I'm looking for something new.
Dark Wood Grain Ring went from letting you flip at 50% to letting you flip at 25%, so basically it went from being the most OP item in the game to being a cosmetic item. It was a nerf, but, honestly, it was kinda necessary.

Vaporak

Question, I thought I new how stunlock worked in this game. But I just got stunlocked by a shotel with 38 poise which I didn't think was possible. Anyone know?

Booshka

Dark Wood Grain Ring went from letting you flip at 50% to letting you flip at 25%, so basically it went from being the most OP item in the game to being a cosmetic item. It was a nerf, but, honestly, it was kinda necessary.

DWGR is still good, but just not game breaking OP, the roll frames are better, stamina drain from rolls is slightly lower and you move forward, backward, and sideways much quicker with the flip ring. You're most likely better off just putting another ring on and fast rolling, but it's still awesome to flip around, and it complements some weapons moveset extremely well still.

Soulhouf

Question, I thought I new how stunlock worked in this game. But I just got stunlocked by a shotel with 38 poise which I didn't think was possible. Anyone know?

The stunlock ability of any weapon increases significantly when you 2 hand it.

@Booshka: yeah, with my dex character, I run almost naked to be able to use the ring and I perform much better than when I wear light equipment and remain <50%

Top Bottom