• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

feel

So after some googling apparently me being unable to get past the main menu without it crashing has something to do with my 120hz monitor. Can't find a fix that works. Sigh, ffs FROM!

ijed

So after some googling apparently me being unable to get past the main menu without it crashing has something to do with my 120hz monitor. Can't find a fix that works. Sigh, ffs FROM!

Did you try reading Durante's Mod thread?
If you have a 120Hz monitor, you might run into one of two problems:
Framerate locked at 15Hz, or resolution is locked at 720x540.

The fix is to open up the DarkSouls.ini file and manually set your fullscreen resolution and monitor's framerate there.

The .ini file is located here: C:\Users\[YourUserName]\AppData\Local\NBGI\DarkSouls\DarkSouls.ini

Some people have reported that using HDMI rather than DisplayPort also resolves the issue.

Lach

Can someone explain the different types of invading players (phantom's, dark spirit's etc.)

I was in Darkroot Garden and got invaded by a dark spirit (blue). As I was on my way to recover a large amount of souls and humanity I wanted to banish him with that separation crystal, but it didn't work. (Of course I almost had him so he lured me towards an NPC fighter and I lost against them). Can someone tell me why that crystal didn't work, and what the rules are?

Soulhouf

Can someone explain the different types of invading players (phantom's, dark spirit's etc.)

I was in Darkroot Garden and got invaded by a dark spirit (blue). As I was on my way to recover a large amount of souls and humanity I wanted to banish him with that separation crystal, but it didn't work. (Of course I almost had him so he lured me towards an NPC fighter and I lost against them). Can someone tell me why that crystal didn't work, and what the rules are?

You can only use that crystal to banish a friendly phantom or yourself when summoned by a player.

There are basically 5 types of invaders:
-Darkwraiths (red)
-Blades of the Darkmoon (blue)
-Forest Hunters (blue) -> this is most likely the one who invaded you
-Dragon covenant members (white)
-Cursed Gravelord victims (blue)

All are part of a covenant. Darkwraiths can also invade when they are not in their covenant provided they have the items (red soapstone or cracked red eye).

ParityBit

So I see some people say it takes 3,4 .. 100 times to kill something. But you lose all your souls. I figure its bad to lose them but if you fight stuff that much, seems like you will be guaranteed to lose them.

Do people not care after a while or what? I am paranoid of loosing my 200 or whatever I have (I just started)

So I see some people say it takes 3,4 .. 100 times to kill something. But you lose all your souls. I figure its bad to lose them but if you fight stuff that much, seems like you will be guaranteed to lose them.

Do people not care after a while or what? I am paranoid of loosing my 200 or whatever I have (I just started)

Why would you care? At the end of the day you will get better and stop dying to regular enemies. Plus you can always farm souls if you need then later on.

Finally beat Ornstein and Smough...after a hundred deaths. Capra was and still is the hardest boss in the game. I hate Capra because his 2 dogs and the fact he comes rushing at you almost instantly. I always got stun locked and died, always.

Lach

After some time I stopped caring, even if I lose 30k souls and 5+ humanity.
But I also try to spend all my souls before exploring a new area, because anything can happen.

invisibleB

Neo Member

I went from crying about loosing 3000 souls to crying about loosing 15000 souls later in the game!!
So much easer to get souls later in the game, dont worry about 200...! For the first 15-20 hours of the game 3000-5000 souls is what you should be worried about.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Anyone has really good guide for pref. character builds? I just want to know where should I be putting the points, etc.

It depends how you wanna play.

I did a dexterity build my first play through. For that, the main things I upgraded were Dexterity, Vitality, and Endurance. Also strength but just enough to carry the weapons I wanted.

Vitality is health, Endruance is stamina.

Along with this you can use Pyromancy because it doesn't scale with any stat, so any build can use it.

Lach

I'm currently focused on dex/end.

I'm a bit torn between finish my current game and starting a new str/heavy build, running around with great swords right know.

I like Darkmoon blade because you get to PvP whenever you like, and its usually pretty active to find people.

I recently joined this covenant but its completely broken on PC, I keep using the Blue Stone and all invasions fail :(

Are there areas where its easier for it to connect? Or are you talking about equipping the ring you get with the covenant?

feel

Did you try reading Durante's Mod thread?
Yeah I did and those solutions didn't work for me. But I'll try that .ini again, maybe I didn't edit it right.

edit-
Turns out this apparently doesn't go above 60fps (without issues), so I didn't have use for 120hz anyways, switched display over to the tv and the games boots perfectly there. Looks glorious at 60fps, 1080p ultra SMAA!* Thanks Durante, time to get back into this beautiful place.

*might try going to a higher resolution later since my pc doesn't seem to be breaking a sweat.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I recently joined this covenant but its completely broken on PC, I keep using the Blue Stone and all invasions fail :(

Are there areas where its easier for it to connect? Or are you talking about equipping the ring you get with the covenant?

The two most active places are The Kiln, and the new DLC area, oolacile Township.

Also Anor Londo is usually pretty active.

The issue with the PC version is that you can't find PvP when you first start for some reason, so you've got to play around for a while until the game just kind of clicks and suddenly the online components will work.

Wait until you're like 15 minutes to a half hour into playing and then try to do some invasions.

Caerith

After some time I stopped caring, even if I lose 30k souls and 5+ humanity.
But I also try to spend all my souls before exploring a new area, because anything can happen.
I dump all my spare souls into bolts and arrows before visiting a new or dangerous area. So glad they got rid of item burden from Demon's.

PC isn't completely dead. I threw down my white sign in Depths when I went AFK during manatee farming and got summoned almost immediately. The host was also being invaded, so we did a 2v1. What's interesting is that I'm SL1, so my summoner had to be SL1 too right? Meaning the invader was also SL1. If I understand co-op math.

Whats a good level to stop leveling up if I dont want to make the online component irrelevant?

Im at level 81 right now and im starting to worry that it will get increasingly difficult to invade/get invaded/jolly co operation, etc?

Im currently at Demon's Ruins, right after beating the fire
Assylum Demon
, havent seen anything after that so dont spoil please.

Sajjaja

Whats a good level to stop leveling up if I dont want to make the online component irrelevant?

Im at level 81 right now and im starting to worry that it will get increasingly difficult to invade/get invaded/jolly co operation, etc?

Assylum Demon

100 is the generally agreed level for PVP since the DLC came out. But you should be able to find people around your level no matter what level you are. This is only because of the new Dark Souls PVP match making system, otherwise, it was 120 before.

100 is the generally agreed level for PVP since the DLC came out. But you should be able to find people around your level no matter what level you are. This is only because of the new Dark Souls PVP match making system, otherwise, it was 120 before.

Cool, when should I stop putting stuff towards stats? For example im at level 34 for endurance and health and im noticing increasingly lower return for investment lol.

I guess I still have time to pump Dex and get a nice Dex weapon, hate that my Zwehainder Lightning doesnt benefit from any stats :(

LogicStep

Don't know if this has been posted yet but is there a mod/hack/patch or something that makes it so that you can play the game with someone specific? Like, probably you wouldn't be able to play online on the servers, but sort of like a connection between two users that have the game patched so that they can play together?

Don't know if this has been posted yet but is there a mod/hack/patch or something that makes it so that you can play the game with someone specific? Like, probably you wouldn't be able to play online on the servers, but sort of like a connection between two users that have the game patched so that they can play together?

Dont think so, that would require emulating
Or running the entire server software for the game ;(

Would be awesome tho.

Closest would be the coop spectator that lets u coordinate with a friend http://darksouls.nexusmods.com/mods/110

dwix

Took a long hiatus from this game and recently picked my character back up... Tonight I beat
Smough and Ornstein, and man that was tough! Still not sure if they were harder than the Maneaters though, at least here you had multiple columns and light :)

Such a great feeling.

Onto the Prepare to Die content!

Kusagari

The ghosts in New Londo are the worst enemies in the game.

Your attacks just do not hit them if you're not lined up perfectly with them, which is a complete crapshoot with how much they float around.

moop1167

Assylum Demon

Whoa I was like level 45 when I did those parts. I think you might be leveling up kinda quick? Maybe I'm wrong.

Caerith

Took a long hiatus from this game and recently picked my character back up... Tonight I beat
Smough and Ornstein, and man that was tough! Still not sure if they were harder than the Maneaters though, at least here you had multiple columns and light :)

Such a great feeling.

Onto the Prepare to Die content!
I'd say
Maneaters
are more like
Bell Gargoyles
in style.
Smough & Ornstein
don't mess around and both come at you at once. My winning attempt at
Maneaters
was Light Weapon BBS + Warding; there's no way to beat
Smough & Ornstein
other than wait for the winds to be right to hit one when the other can't kill you for trying.

dwix

I'd say
Maneaters
are more like
Bell Gargoyles
in style.
Smough & Ornstein
don't mess around and both come at you at once. My winning attempt at
Maneaters
was Light Weapon BBS + Warding; there's no way to beat
Smough & Ornstein
other than wait for the winds to be right to hit one when the other can't kill you for trying.

In terms of style, absolutely.
Smough & Ornstein
was a very different fight, but overall when I read about Dark Souls it is the boss fight that most people bring up as the standout challenge. It reminds me of how people used to talk about the
Maneaters
in Demon's Souls.

As a melee character, fighting
Smough & Ornstein
was far more manageable.

Defuser

Man, the community is getting lesser and lesser than I thought. I started a new character and lay down my sign at the gargoyles, gaping dragon and Quelaag for hours and nobody summon me.

So for anyone playing now, how often do you guys come across summons or get summoned? I'm doing the DLC stuff and although I can see a few summon markers I almost always fail to summon them. A connection issue, I'm assuming?

Whoa I was like level 45 when I did those parts. I think you might be leveling up kinda quick? Maybe I'm wrong.

Well I think I have been following the "normal" (if there is such a thing) progression of the game, and other than the DLC I think I have beat everything else in the game, so its the only place left for me to go.

Place looks so scary, I just assumed it was one of the last levels to beat.

So for anyone playing now, how often do you guys come across summons or get summoned? I'm doing the DLC stuff and although I can see a few summon markers I almost always fail to summon them. A connection issue, I'm assuming?

Almost never :(, the netcode in the PC version is completely fudged, the only way I can play Co Op is by coordinating with my brother over skype and even then it takes a good 20 minutes for our signs to appear.

A month ago we would get invaded fairly often while playing co op but now it almost never happens :(

I just recently acquired Demon Souls for PS3 and the online module is very much alive, I get summoned in less than 2 minutes after dropping my sign pretty much anywhere.

Also all my invasion items, red orb, blue orb, rings etc never seem to be able to connect :(

Sometimes I do get the occasional Bonfire that doesnt work (which means im getting invaded) but it never goes through :(

RiccochetJ

Gold Member

I spend 99% of my time hollowed. When I am human, I do see a lot of markers, but never try to summon people so I can't speak to connections.

Caerith

I'm on a SL1 run so summons are pretty much out of the question, but I can say that I see way less ghosts and bloodstains than in Demon's Souls. Probably the thing I'm most looking forward to in Dark Souls II is that they're moving from p2p back to having a central server, so we'll see a lot more phantoms.

Soulhouf

PS3 version: I constantly see many SS in the DLC area, New Londo, Anor Londo... and get summoned in less than 3 minutes.
The DLC area is very popular for invasions as well.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
Man the gargoyles are tough. Do I need to summon to get past it? The knight before the dragon at the bridge gave me something to summon him and I also rescued the gold knight in the cell, dunno if he gave me something. Just need something to distract the second one for a bit so I can kill the first. Or should I summon another player? I only have 2 humanity so I'd have one shot at it. I've never been human before. :eek:

Also thanks Durante for the resolution fix!

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
You can definitely solo them, but the knight works in a pinch if you want to go human. If anything, get a feel for them before going human and summon so you don't waste your humanity.

Man the gargoyles are tough. Do I need to summon to get past it? The knight before the dragon at the bridge gave me something to summon him and I also rescued the gold knight in the cell, dunno if he gave me something. Just need something to distract the second one for a bit so I can kill the first. Or should I summon another player? I only have 2 humanity so I'd have one shot at it. I've never been human before. :eek:

Also thanks Durante for the resolution fix!
If you are human when you climb up the church, you will be able to see two summon signs, one right in front of the fog gate, the other one level down across from the ladder on the ledge. If you are human, you can summon both characters for the boss fight if you want to. You can only summon where a summon sign is on the ground, either from NPCs or other online players.

EasyMode

I don't have anything else plugged in. :(

Are you trying the controller at the main menu? Because only the d-pad changes menu selections, and maybe you're trying the analog stick only.

The wired 360 controller is pretty much the standard for this game, so there shouldn't be any problem.

The only other thing I can think of is to type "game controllers" in the start menu and click on "Set up USB game controllers" and see if anything else is listed. There might be some software pretending to be a controller.

Skilletor

Are you trying the controller at the main menu? Because only the d-pad changes menu selections, and maybe you're trying the analog stick only.

The wired 360 controller is pretty much the standard for this game, so there shouldn't be any problem.

The only other thing I can think of is to type "game controllers" in the start menu and click on "Set up USB game controllers" and see if anything else is listed. There might be some software pretending to be a controller.

I have arcade sticks and a wiimote, but they're not plugged in at the same time. I've tried every button, but nothing works. :(

EasyMode

Some more detailed advice from this page:

5# Dark Souls Xbox 360 Controller Fix
Make sure there aren’t any other controllers connected to your system. Check Control Panel > Devices and Printers (WiiMotes, PS3 controller, Joysticks, etc.). Alternatively, you can fix it by disabling HID-compliant game controller and unplugging any other devices except mouse keyboard and headphones. To do that:

Go Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Devices and Printers. Find HID-Compliant game controller Icon and leave that window open. Search for Device Manager and open Human Interface Devices and finally, find HID-compliant game controller and disable it. If there are two, one is your xbox controller so look back at the control panel window; if you disabled the right one will have the caution icon.

If this does not work for you unplug any unused devices that could be detected before the controller. Furthermore, you can right click on your Xbox 360 controller in the Control Panel and go to Game Controller Setting > Advanced > and Set Xbox 360 Controller as default.

That's all I've got for tonight. Good luck.

Caerith

Just double homicided Demon Firesage and when I got back to my bloodstain his drop was gone. Fuck. Where does DSFix keep its backup saves?

Edit: nevermind. No idea what NBGI stands for, but Firesage is alive and kicking once again.

Top Bottom