• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

2AdEPT

If you are human when you climb up the church, you will be able to see two summon signs, one right in front of the fog gate, the other one level down across from the ladder on the ledge. If you are human, you can summon both characters for the boss fight if you want to. You can only summon where a summon sign is on the ground, either from NPCs or other online players.

you do have to go back to firelink and talk to Lautrec before his summon sign will appear though.

I like Darkmoon blade because you get to PvP whenever you like, and its usually pretty active to find people.

the more important reason that this is a great covenant is that the items are fun to farm (in painted world), and the payoff (darkmoon blade miracle) is the best weapon buff in the game.

Just started playing recently. Is it just me or has dodging gotten a bit harder? Backstabbing also seems to be a little more ambiguous. Started out as a Thief btw.

lolmoose

Neo Member
Not sure if I looked hard enough, but can you change the controls for this game? Much prefer to use the triggers on my wired Xbox controller.

falconzss

Switched on my PS3 and got the message that a Dark Souls patch has been downloaded via automatic update. Haven't turned on my PS3 these since last week. What does this patch exactly?

Just double homicided Demon Firesage and when I got back to my bloodstain his drop was gone. Fuck. Where does DSFix keep its backup saves?

Edit: nevermind. No idea what NBGI stands for, but Firesage is alive and kicking once again.

Why would you want/need the drop, i thought that catalyst wasnt really good.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Just started playing recently. Is it just me or has dodging gotten a bit harder? Backstabbing also seems to be a little more ambiguous. Started out as a Thief btw.

If you're playing the PC version at 60fps dodging may feel a little harder because when playing at 60FPS, rolls and jumps go slightly less far.

Not sure if I looked hard enough, but can you change the controls for this game? Much prefer to use the triggers on my wired Xbox controller.
You cannot, but trust me, the bumpers are much better for this game. It takesa bit to get used to, but when you do you wont want it any other way.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
You can definitely solo them, but the knight works in a pinch if you want to go human. If anything, get a feel for them before going human and summon so you don't waste your humanity.
If you are human when you climb up the church, you will be able to see two summon signs, one right in front of the fog gate, the other one level down across from the ladder on the ledge. If you are human, you can summon both characters for the boss fight if you want to. You can only summon where a summon sign is on the ground, either from NPCs or other online players.
Alright thanks for the tips. I'll try fighting them a few more times, see if it's possible to manage them somehow. One is hard enough then another one swoops in?!

I was wondering what the advantage of going two handed is? I started doing this with my Spear+1 when I realized I wasn't even shielding against the first gargoyle. I figure it should make the attack quicker and stronger but I don't really know. Also my plan is to bring the shield out when the second gargoyle comes because I need to block their fire breath.

superbank

You can kill the first gargoyle way before the second one attacks you.
Really? Seems like when I get the first to half his life bar that's when the second one comes.

Edit: I see now. I thought on the third attack is when it gets hit-stunned but I can actually keep it going. Only problem is I run out of stamina. I also managed to stay out of the seconds range for a good while. Imma try soloing this. :D

moop1167

You can do whatever you want at any level, but that seems really low.

Ya I just want to know where I should be for coop and stuff. I put my summon sign down for Quelaag a few times around SL30 and wasn't really getting any hits so I wasn't sure if I was too low or too high.

Sajjaja

Ya I just want to know where I should be for coop and stuff. I put my summon sign down for Quelaag a few times around SL30 and wasn't really getting any hits so I wasn't sure if I was too low or too high.

For Quelaag, you should put your sign down by the bonfire and for Anor Londo coop, either the stairs just after the elevator, or in the bonfire room inside Anor Londo.

What SL should I be right now? I'm about half way done with Anor Londo. I'm SL33.
You can be whatever you want really, but SL tends to be more important for co-op than anything else.

For Anor Londo I find anything between 30-60 is open for lots of co-op (on PS3) with 40-45 being the optimum range. When I'm in Sen's at 30-35 I get summoned constantly, so you might want to level up just a little if you're co-oping.

superbank

So I ended up summoning the sun knight to defeat the gargoyles. Somehow I ended up with 1 humanity equipped out of nowhere so I used that opportunity to test my human form/summoning. It was a cinch with help. But it's not like I didn't gain anything. I was able to hone my dodging skills during so many playthroughs. After that I went back down to the broken titanite lightning guard and got rid of him. It's funny how you can just pass him but it was the cowards way! Redemption.

So I ended up summoning the sun knight to defeat the gargoyles. Somehow I ended up with 1 humanity equipped out of nowhere so I used that opportunity to test my human form/summoning. It was a cinch with help. But it's not like I didn't gain anything. I was able to hone my dodging skills during so many playthroughs. After that I went back down to the broken titanite lightning guard and got rid of him. It's funny how you can just pass him but it was the cowards way! Redemption.
That humanity came from killing enemies. Rarely after killing an enemy you will get 1 humanity.

ACE 1991

Finally beat Ornstein and Smough...after a hundred deaths. Capra was and still is the hardest boss in the game. I hate Capra because his 2 dogs and the fact he comes rushing at you almost instantly. I always got stun locked and died, always.

I got incredibly lucky and dropped him on my firs try.

superbank

That humanity came from killing enemies. Rarely after killing an enemy you will get 1 humanity.
I see. I thought it would be an item. Is that when a bunch of light floats near me and enters my head? Not the normal instance when killing an enemy, it just sort of randomly happens while walking around. Though I've had that happen a few times but I only have seen humanity of my counter recently. Very peculiar. Also I've seen floating orbs/rings of light and when I go near it my heal icon shows the same light ring. Probably if I heal it doesn't deplete a use.

For some reason I didn't get the Art of Abysswalking achievement. Anyone else have this issue?

Also, would anyone around level 60 want to help me get
Seath's
tail?

Caerith

I see. I thought it would be an item. Is that when a bunch of light floats near me and enters my head? Not the normal instance when killing an enemy, it just sort of randomly happens while walking around. Though I've had that happen a few times but I only have seen humanity of my counter recently. Very peculiar. Also I've seen floating orbs/rings of light and when I go near it my heal icon shows the same light ring. Probably if I heal it doesn't deplete a use.
Every time someone kindles a bonfire you have previously kindled, you get a free Estus flask. And when someone rates up your comments, you gain humanity (I think, maybe not 100%).

The white rings are miracle synergy. They appear when someone in another world casts a miracle, and it boosts miracles you cast while standing on that spot.

If you see any gold rings just floating about, watch out for hedgehogs.

Onemic

Picked up the game for PC after trading my PS3 version in a few months back. So what does the prepare to die edition have anyway? I assume its all end game content?

Caerith

Picked up the game for PC after trading my PS3 version in a few months back. So what does the prepare to die edition have anyway? I assume its all end game content?
It adds a new set of areas. You access them with an item you can find only after
you place the Lordvessel
, so it's more content that's for the second half of the game.

It contains three bosses plus one optional boss, plus a bunch of areas and items and stuff.

Long, spoilery version on how to access the new area:
Place the Lordvessel, then head into Duke's Archives and kill a gold golem to get the broken pendant. You need this in your inventory.
Head to Darkroot and kill the Hydra, then kill the gold golem to rescue Dusk. You might need to quit and reload a few times, but go back to where you killed the Darkroot golem and you'll see something weird; examine it and you get sucked into the DLC area.

Oh, and major spoiler but you might want to do this before progressing too far in the main game:
If you advance far enough in the DLC, you can meet Sif as a wolf pup. Rescuing Sif changes the cutscene you get when you fight adult Sif in the main game. Beware of heartbreak.

Onemic

Is unlocking the game to 60FPS recommended? I read the DSfix readme and you can actually get banned from GFWL for using it?

EDIT: For some reason the game is only rendering on a quarter of the screen :/

jtWYMX2J9Yj0y.jpg

Is unlocking the game to 60FPS recommended? I read the DSfix readme and you can actually get banned from GFWL for using it?

EDIT: For some reason the game is only rendering on a quarter of the screen :/

jtWYMX2J9Yj0y.jpg

read the "README" file.

you have to check off vertical something or something in the graphics option i think.

moop1167

Beat O&S in half the amount of attempts with this character. SL35 whereas last time I was SL45 or so. Not a huge difference but I'm still proud of myself. I am starting to wonder if playing at 60 fps is making some stuff harder for me because of the rolling. I can't go back to 30 fps after seeing how smooth 60 is.

FROM, why do you make me do this :( , I just had to kill
Solaire, my favorite NPC :(, I just read what you are supposed to do to save him and its just ridiculous, how would you even know this
after this disappointment I cross the fog gate and im facing the
Bed of Chaos
WTF at this boss, holy shit.

Oh, and major spoiler but you might want to do this before progressing too far in the main game:
If you advance far enough in the DLC, you can meet Sif as a wolf pup. Rescuing Sif changes the cutscene you get when you fight adult Sif in the main game. Beware of heartbreak.
I was already sad when this happened :( I dont want to do this but im curious :(

zkylon

zkylewd
Beat O&S in half the amount of attempts with this character. SL35 whereas last time I was SL45 or so. Not a huge difference but I'm still proud of myself. I am starting to wonder if playing at 60 fps is making some stuff harder for me because of the rolling. I can't go back to 30 fps after seeing how smooth 60 is.
Most people say 60 fps makes it easier. I've yet to try it, but I should.

Maybe next run...

FROM, why do you make me do this :( , I just had to kill
Solaire, my favorite NPC :(, I just read what you are supposed to do to save him and its just ridiculous, how would you even know this
after this disappointment I cross the fog gate and im facing the
Bed of Chaos
WTF at this boss, holy shit.

You're not supposed to know, it's pretty obviously not something you're supposed to accomplish in new games.

And yeah, that boss was terrible. I don't care if people complain about Capra and O&S, I beat those in the first and second tries respectively. Now, that one? Spent like +40 minutes dying pointlessly.

You're not supposed to know, it's pretty obviously not something you're supposed to accomplish in new games.

And yeah, that boss was terrible. I don't care if people complain about Capra and O&S, I beat those in the first and second tries respectively. Now, that one? Spent like +40 minutes dying pointlessly.

Pretty much, Capra gave me some trouble, Smough wasnt that bad after playing it like 4 times online with other people, but holy shit at this boss.

Doesnt matter if I reach it with like 20 estus flasks and stuff, he just pushes you off and you are dead.

Onemic

ugh, the games frame rate is all over the place on my PC. It'll be 30 most of the time but any time theres a big effect (like the very first boss you face in the game when he smashes pillars) or I light a bonfire the framerate drops down to 15 every single time.

Caerith

ugh, the games frame rate is all over the place on my PC. It'll be 30 most of the time but any time theres a big effect (like the very first boss you face in the game when he smashes pillars) or I light a bonfire the framerate drops down to 15 every single time.
I only get the occasional slowdown climbing a certain ladder in New Londo, and only then if I have aggro, and even then it's only a little dip. I hear the game is optimized for CPU and doesn't touch GPU, so maybe it's just choking your processor?

I just mentioned it in my previous post. It's the particle effects. They kill the performance every time. Particularly brutal on laptops, which usually don't have 3.0 ghz processors. So unless someone manages to fix the particles (unlikely) or find out that the game is underutilizing the CPU for them and figures out a fix, doesn't look like it's going to improve.

Caerith

I just mentioned it in my previous post. It's the particle effects. They kill the performance every time. Particularly brutal on laptops, which usually don't have 3.0 ghz processors. So unless someone manages to fix the particles (unlikely) or find out that the game is underutilizing the CPU for them and figures out a fix, doesn't look like it's going to improve.
Can they be disabled?

I don't think that's how particles work. Presumably From is just really bad at optimizing particles, and your computer has to brute force them. It's possible that the game doesn't properly utilize the CPU, but overclocking it or modifying CPU settings probably wouldn't help either. And even if the particle effects only cause the framerate to drop to maybe 25 or something, which is still playable for a couple seconds at a time, we wouldn't know because the engine immediately drops to 15 as soon as something goes wrong.

feel

Is the point of no return by the end of the game easy to identify? I'd like to visit and clear most areas/bosses in a single playthrough.

Guys for a first contact with genre should I go with PC or PS3 version?
I have only played PC so Im a bit biased. It has Durante's Mod, better FPS and you can still use your Controller (I would recommend not using M+Kb)
PS3 does have a really strong community still which is really nice.
Overall i would say PC

Top Bottom