• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Is the point of no return by the end of the game easy to identify? I'd like to visit and clear most areas/bosses in a single playthrough.
The point of no return is the final boss battle itself, you'll know when you're at that particular fog door, the area is accessed from an important place and only when you have obtained the items that open it up. Even in the battle you can homebone out.

feel

The point of no return is the final boss battle itself, you'll know when you're at that particular fog door, the area is accessed from an important place and only when you have obtained the items that open it up. Even in the battle you can homebone out.
Thanks!

Misguided

Banned
Holy hell Quelaag. Out of purple clumps, are they seriously gonna make me trek all the way back to Darkroot Garden, farm for clumps, and then come all the way back just to get through the dumb swamp part?

Holy hell Quelaag. Out of purple clumps, are they seriously gonna make me trek all the way back to Darkroot Garden, farm for clumps, and then come all the way back just to get through the dumb swamp part?

you can buy them from a cpl of merchants if you want to do a small treck. but honestly just put on a poison resistant armor to minimize the dmg, and then only use one grass once you are in dry land

Just tank the poison damage, use Estus to heal. The real worry are the toxic blowdarts...

Caerith

There's a ring that lets you move full speed through water, including poison swamps. Equip it, run from dry spot to dry spot and wait for the poison to wear off, and you'll be fine. No Estus necessary.

The
rusted iron
ring is in
the Undead Asylum

EasyMode

OK so I got a level. How do I know what stat to raise? Im not sure I know what I am doing here :)

What kind of character to you want to play?

If you're playing a melee character, you can't go wrong with Vitality (for more health) and Endurance (for more stamina, tops out at 40). Increase Strength and/or Dexterity depending on the weapon you want to use.

Oh, and don't put any points into Resistance, it's a useless stat.

Caerith

OK so I got a level. How do I know what stat to raise? Im not sure I know what I am doing here :)
You don't have to level up, so maybe just hold off on levelling until you know which stat you need.

Which stats you level depends on the build you're going for, what gear you want to equip.

But, overall, you're generally going to get more benefit out of levelling your weapons. A level 1 with +5 weapons is way deadlier than a level 30 with unleveled weapons.

moop1167

On pc version and running around Anor Londo at SL37 as a human and not seeing summon signs anywhere. Is that normal?

Just as I type that I get summoned by a guy for O&S LOL.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Getting this weird graphical effect in my game:

jbe2JbYFlDJKBx.jpg

Please excuse the size and compression. In-game the sky is still just as blotchy and blurry. Is it supposed to look like that?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Getting this weird graphical effect in my game:

jbe2JbYFlDJKBx.jpg

Please excuse the size and compression. In-game the sky is still just as blotchy and blurry. Is it supposed to look like that?

In the games actual settings, make sure your resolution is set to a 32bit mode and not 16 bit mode.

If that's not the case, then increase the DoF resolution.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
In the games actual settings, make sure your resolution is set to a 32bit mode and not 16 bit mode.

If that's not the case, then increase the DoF resolution.

Hmmm, how do I do that? Using DSFix, it seems like 1680x1050 (my native res) autosets to 16-bit. Next highest res at 32-bit is 1600x900.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Hmmm, how do I do that? Using DSFix, it seems like 1680x1050 (my native res) autosets to 16-bit. Next highest res at 32-bit is 1600x900.

If you keep scrolling through you should find a 1680x1050 resolution with 32bit color. If you can't, then open Nvidia control panel, press change resolution on the left hand side underneath "Display", on the right there should be a "Color Depth:" option, make sure it's set to 32-bit.

Czigga

Fuck. So I beat the game.
So I assumed that upon beating the game that I would unlock the DLC content. But I just read how to do it and I need to have the Lord Vessel. Does that mean I have to play all the way through a NG and get it again to see it? If so that sucks. I mean I was planning on playing through again anyway but I def wanted to play the DLC first. Now I'm REALLY regretting not looking shit up more.

2AdEPT

So I assumed that upon beating the game that I would unlock the DLC content. But I just read how to do it and I need to have the Lord Vessel. Does that mean I have to play all the way through a NG and get it again to see it? If so that sucks. I mean I was planning on playing through again anyway but I def wanted to play the DLC first. Now I'm REALLY regretting not looking shit up more.
yeah once the final boss is done you are done....but the time it takes the 2nd time round is negligible, especially if you don't piss around with the proper "order" and just ring the bells as fast as possible.

plus to do the content you don't have to do the lordvessel bosses...just beat O&S and get ready for the ride...it always helps to be a sorcerer if you weren't lst time it will be a benefit to be this time as the loot there is sorcerer oriented.

Caerith

If you're using DSFix it should have backed up your saves periodically and you can just use one from before the final boss fight to go back and do the DLC.

Coming back to the game after a long break. Finally catching up on PC where I was on PS3 months ago.

Tried the back way into Blighttown (valley of drakes), got ravaged a few times.

Today I beat Capra demon. Soul level 26 now.

I have drake sword and am still using the starter pyromancer armor except for boots (using the leather boots found near lower burg assassins) - no helm to keep weight under 1/4 for the roll speed.

My next plan was to get the sword from the undead dragon and begin upgrading that. I remember reading a while back that it was decent and helped in the catacomb area.

Next spot I was going to explore after that was the down staircase next to Capra demon fog door. Any tips? Is this a good direction to head next?

ParityBit

You don't have to level up, so maybe just hold off on levelling until you know which stat you need.

Which stats you level depends on the build you're going for, what gear you want to equip.

But, overall, you're generally going to get more benefit out of levelling your weapons. A level 1 with +5 weapons is way deadlier than a level 30 with unleveled weapons.

So is it better to not level up? I picked a pyromancer as my class and just got to he spot where you learn of the bells. Then I stopped while I figure out what to do and how to do it.

invisibleB

Neo Member
If you're using DSFix it should have backed up your saves periodically and you can just use one from before the final boss fight to go back and do the DLC.

Wow im on the ps3 & i would have been super upset if i had to start a new game to play the DLC!!

I was planing on completing the main game then doing the DLC but i dont wana new game+ or start over!! So is the only way to do it, go to it before final boss fight??

Does the game not make a save before final boss???

What if i wana pvp after im done with main game & boss, without starting a new game/+?? is there anyway to do that with my current player/soul level/gear/build?

Sajjaja

Wow im on the ps3 & i would have been super upset if i had to start a new game to play the DLC!!

I was planing on completing the main game then doing the DLC but i dont wana new game+ or start over!! So is the only way to do it, go to it before final boss fight??

Does the game not make a save before final boss???

What if i wana pvp after im done with main game & boss, without starting a new game/+?? is there anyway to do that with my current player/soul level/gear/build?

You can do the DLC as soon as you get the lord vessel(given that you do the steps required.) And once you beat the final boss, game is over. Can only do the DLC and PVP before you beat the final boss.

Anor Londo is pvp central at sl 50. Can't go more than a few minutes before being invaded. Indicted everyone that killed me. We have a coliseum in the dlc. They should use it. SL 1-50, 51-100 and 101-700. Stuck at the same section for the last hour.

So far, every single invader is Japanese. I'm seeing a trend here.

Ledsen

Anor Londo is pvp central at sl 50. Can't go more than a few minutes before being invaded. Indicted everyone that killed me. We have a coliseum in the dlc. They should use it. SL 1-50, 51-100 and 101-700. Stuck at the same section for the last hour.

Why not just play hollow?

Turn Anor Londo dark at that level and you will never get any peace! I always leave Anor open it's my favourite PvP area.

I still haven't played the DLC arena area, I kind of feel removing the enviroment of the levels loses half the fun. There are so many ways to use the level to your advantage, just being in a boxed off square seems dull. Still I should give it a go to see how it is.

Caerith

Coming back to the game after a long break. Finally catching up on PC where I was on PS3 months ago.

Tried the back way into Blighttown (valley of drakes), got ravaged a few times.

Today I beat Capra demon. Soul level 26 now.

I have drake sword and am still using the starter pyromancer armor except for boots (using the leather boots found near lower burg assassins) - no helm to keep weight under 1/4 for the roll speed.

My next plan was to get the sword from the undead dragon and begin upgrading that. I remember reading a while back that it was decent and helped in the catacomb area.

Next spot I was going to explore after that was the down staircase next to Capra demon fog door. Any tips? Is this a good direction to head next?
The staircase next to Capra is a shortcut back to Firelink Shrine. Might as well open it up.

So is it better to not level up? I picked a pyromancer as my class and just got to he spot where you learn of the bells. Then I stopped while I figure out what to do and how to do it.
It's good to level up, but you should always do it with a specific goal in mind, like "this is the weapon I want to use, I need this much DEX to do it" or "this is the armor I want to use, but to fast roll in it I need this much more END." Level 1 pyro can actually beat both the game and the DLC, so don't ever feel you're supposed to level up.

Take some time to explore now. You know there are two ways to go from where you are now, right? One is to go up, the other is to go down. Explore both directions until you die. Somewhere within the area you can explore safely (without encountering an aggro enemy), you can find a blacksmith. And somewhere you can explore with only killing maybe 10 easy enemies, and before you reach the next bonfire, you can find a merchant (with a very nice selection of weapons). I'm serious about weapon levels being worth more than soul levels.

My advice, while you figure things out:
visit the undead merchant in the Undead Burg-- he's off to the right before the crossbow hollow-- and buy a reinforced club and a heater shield. The club is slow and has a short range, but it stuns and bleeds so it's perfect for beating down opponents who hide behind shields, and the R2 attack is really versatile. The heater shield is crappy in the long run, but it's the first 100% physical reduction shield you're likely to find. If you find any titanite shards, take your weapon to the blacksmith in New Londo (on the stairs leading down the cliff, watch your step) to upgrade the club to +4 or +5. Titanite shards can be purchased later on, but a reinforced club +5 can carry you all the way to the Depths.

I'm at a bonfire in Blighttown, and this is just bad. I got something to cure Toxic and can kill the snipers in 2 crossbow shots, Halberd wrecks these dung monsters and the weird lizard people, but what's the deal? I guess it's supposed to be dark and disgusting, but instead it feels like I'm playing a game from 2000 and left the color setting at 16-bit (and I am running at 32-bit resolution, I've checked). And the particle effects from some of these torches, is there even anyone in the world whose computer hasn't hitched when they got close to them?

I'm at a bonfire in Blighttown, and this is just bad. I got something to cure Toxic and can kill the snipers in 2 crossbow shots, Halberd wrecks these dung monsters and the weird lizard people, but what's the deal? I guess it's supposed to be dark and disgusting, but instead it feels like I'm playing a game from 2000 and left the color setting at 16-bit (and I am running at 32-bit resolution, I've checked). And the particle effects from some of these torches, is there even anyone in the world whose computer hasn't hitched when they got close to them?

that's pretty much just blighty. people complain a lot about a couple of the later areas in the game but nothing sucks as badly as blighttown in my book. it's the reason I always get the master key, so I can skip most of it and just go directly to the boss.

As for the color, there is a 'blight' color filter in that area, so it's supposed took like that.

Lots of progress today:

Capra demon dead
Opened the depths
Killed the gaping teeth dragon thing, got his tail weapon
Opened blight town door

Went back to undead asylum got the Crest shield and Rusted Iron Ring
Picked up Astora's Straight Sword and Dragon Crest Shield

Currently using the Drake Sword (non upgraded) - should I start upgrading the Astora sword? I haven't put any upgrades on any weapons yet.

Next thing I plan to do is purchase Crest of Artorias and try to get the Dark Wood Grain Ring.

ParityBit

It's good to level up, but you should always do it with a specific goal in mind, like "this is the weapon I want to use, I need this much DEX to do it" or "this is the armor I want to use, but to fast roll in it I need this much more END." Level 1 pyro can actually beat both the game and the DLC, so don't ever feel you're supposed to level up.

Take some time to explore now. You know there are two ways to go from where you are now, right? One is to go up, the other is to go down. Explore both directions until you die. Somewhere within the area you can explore safely (without encountering an aggro enemy), you can find a blacksmith. And somewhere you can explore with only killing maybe 10 easy enemies, and before you reach the next bonfire, you can find a merchant (with a very nice selection of weapons). I'm serious about weapon levels being worth more than soul levels.

My advice, while you figure things out:
visit the undead merchant in the Undead Burg-- he's off to the right before the crossbow hollow-- and buy a reinforced club and a heater shield. The club is slow and has a short range, but it stuns and bleeds so it's perfect for beating down opponents who hide behind shields, and the R2 attack is really versatile. The heater shield is crappy in the long run, but it's the first 100% physical reduction shield you're likely to find. If you find any titanite shards, take your weapon to the blacksmith in New Londo (on the stairs leading down the cliff, watch your step) to upgrade the club to +4 or +5. Titanite shards can be purchased later on, but a reinforced club +5 can carry you all the way to the Depths.

Thank you for the advice! I will try these things and forgo my souls and leveling for now.

feel

On pc version and running around Anor Londo at SL37 as a human and not seeing summon signs anywhere. Is that normal?

Just as I type that I get summoned by a guy for O&S LOL.
I'm level 40 and currently in that area too and I'm seeing literally more than 10 signs lightning up the room at any given time. :O

Hadn't seen that many simultaneously in any previous bonfire or in that same area when I played on xbox.

moop1167

Damn, beat the 4 kings on my first try this time with my new character. SL 46 I think, which is way lower than before (not that it matters a ton). I forgot to equip power within but still had some resins. Not bad.

moop1167

I'm level 40 and currently in that area too and I'm seeing literally more than 10 signs lightning up the room at any given time. :O

Hadn't seen that many simultaneously in any previous bonfire or in that same area when I played on xbox.

Weird, but who knows that was yesterday. I only had that one summon all night.

So, I'm trying to convince my gf that the money for a good gaming PC is worth it. She knows how much I like Dark Souls, but I can't really seem to get her to understand frame rate and the difference it makes on games, so she doesn't understand why I need for Lords of Shadow 2 or DMC or Dark Souls 1/2 to be @ 60fps.

Are there any sites with any kind of comparison videos I could download? Youtube doesn't cut it because YT doesn't support 60fps. Thanks for any help.

edit: I don't suppose it has to be of Dark Souls... any kind of PC gaming comparison videos with 60fps and 30fps would suffice.

Mephala

So, I'm trying to convince my gf that the money for a good gaming PC is worth it. She knows how much I like Dark Souls, but I can't really seem to get her to understand frame rate and the difference it makes on games, so she doesn't understand why I need for Lords of Shadow 2 or DMC or Dark Souls 1/2 to be @ 60fps.

Are there any sites with any kind of comparison videos I could download? Youtube doesn't cut it because YT doesn't support 60fps. Thanks for any help.

edit: I don't suppose it has to be of Dark Souls... any kind of PC gaming comparison videos with 60fps and 30fps would suffice.

Must it be video of games?
http://frames-per-second.appspot.com/
http://boallen.com/fps-compare.html

Defuser

Lots of progress today:

Capra demon dead
Opened the depths
Killed the gaping teeth dragon thing, got his tail weapon
Opened blight town door

Went back to undead asylum got the Crest shield and Rusted Iron Ring
Picked up Astora's Straight Sword and Dragon Crest Shield

Currently using the Drake Sword (non upgraded) - should I start upgrading the Astora sword? I haven't put any upgrades on any weapons yet.

Next thing I plan to do is purchase Crest of Artorias and try to get the Dark Wood Grain Ring.
Astora sword is terrible even if you're going for faith build, don't bother. What are your stats?

Astora sword is terrible even if you're going for faith build, don't bother. What are your stats?

Thanks for the heads up, stats are:

18 vit
13 att
21 end
17 str
17 dex
12 res
10 int
8 fai (was going to have to level this a bunch to even equip Astora's)

Last few levels I boosted end to get equip load up and brought up vit (742 hp now).

I have the beginner pyro spell but rarely use it, the animation is really slow (read that raising dex speeds the casting so I might use it more if I boost dex).

Any weapon suggestions you have are greatly appreciated :)

Dark Souls still runs at 30 fps on PC. Forcing it to 60 causes rolls and jumps to go short, falling through ladders, weird discrepancies like that.

The really good reason for a gaming PC is that there are constant sales and tons of sites to buy games, so you'll save a ton of money in the long run on games that run better (hopefully) and look better. Also generally less-abrasive gaming communities, better online services (no PSN downtime or paying for Xbox Live crap) mods, and Team Fortress 2.

Defuser

Thanks for the heads up, stats are:

18 vit
13 att
21 end
17 str
17 dex
12 res
10 int
8 fai (was going to have to level this a bunch to even equip Astora's)

Last few levels I boosted end to get equip load up and brought up vit (742 hp now).

I have the beginner pyro spell but rarely use it, the animation is really slow (read that raising dex speeds the casting so I might use it more if I boost dex).

Any weapon suggestions you have are greatly appreciated :)
Go for 27 str/40 dex build. 40 dex is the sweet spot because anything beyond 40 the damage difference very minor although 45 dex allows faster casting. Same goes for 27 str, anything beyond 27 is minor when you 2 hand it. Then pump in the rest of your points to Vit and End, resistance is a useless stat. Weapons that take advantage of dex would be Uchigatanas,Iaito,balder side sword,great scythe,pike,gold tracer.etc because these weapons have a A/S scale in dex when upgraded. For str woudld be Man serpent greatsword,demon machete,Zweihander,large clubs.etc

Weapons like claymore takes advantage in both str and dex because they have a C scale in both.

As for pyro,it doesn't scale on any stats but scale on the equipment upgrade so it goes with any build. If you want you can also pump 5 more points to int so you can use great magic weapon spell for extra damage.

Why not just play hollow?
I did until up to Ornstein and Smough. Then had to summon some help.

Go for 27 str/40 dex build. 40 dex is the sweet spot because anything beyond 40 the damage difference very minor although 45 dex allows faster casting. Same goes for 27 str, anything beyond 27 is minor when you 2 hand it. Then pump in the rest of your points to Vit and End, resistance is a useless stat. Weapons that take advantage of dex would be Uchigatanas,Iaito,balder side sword,great scythe,pike,gold tracer.etc because these weapons have a A/S scale in dex when upgraded. For str woudld be Man serpent greatsword,demon machete,Zweihander,large clubs.etc

Weapons like claymore takes advantage in both str and dex because they have a C scale in both.

As for pyro,it doesn't scale on any stats but scale on the equipment upgrade so it goes with any build. If you want you can also pump 5 more points to int so you can use great magic weapon spell for extra damage.
With your even distribution of strength and dex. Those stats are similiar to my quality build except my attunement is still base at 8. 27 str/40 dex is what I'm aiming for as well, but with no pryo. Rocking a Claymore +10 and getting a composite bow. Also can use BK weapons, Gough's and Dragonslayer's greatbow. Opens up all weapons to use besides the heaviest of strength weapons when 2 handing it.

moop1167

What the hell is this AOE attack this guy keeps doing in PVP? Takes over 50% of my health away. Pretty ridiculous since I can't dodge it.

Top Bottom