• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Onemic

Go for 27 str/40 dex build. 40 dex is the sweet spot because anything beyond 40 the damage difference very minor although 45 dex allows faster casting. Same goes for 27 str, anything beyond 27 is minor when you 2 hand it. Then pump in the rest of your points to Vit and End, resistance is a useless stat. Weapons that take advantage of dex would be Uchigatanas,Iaito,balder side sword,great scythe,pike,gold tracer.etc because these weapons have a A/S scale in dex when upgraded. For str woudld be Man serpent greatsword,demon machete,Zweihander,large clubs.etc

Weapons like claymore takes advantage in both str and dex because they have a C scale in both.

As for pyro,it doesn't scale on any stats but scale on the equipment upgrade so it goes with any build. If you want you can also pump 5 more points to int so you can use great magic weapon spell for extra damage.

Would you recommend the same for a warrior? If anything I just want to be able to cast basic healing and fire spells.

Also what weapon should I try upgrading after the drake sword? I have a gargoyle great axe.

Mephala

Any weapon suggestions you have are greatly appreciated :)

At 17 Str and 17 dex you have access to quite a few weapons. I recommend trying some and picking one that you like the moveset for. The Claymore, Zweihander, Halberd, Winged Spear, Partizan and Estoc are very nice and not too difficult to acquire (run past dragon for Claymore). You could also farm the Balder Knights (shield, red cape, sword) in Undead Parish for their Balder Side Sword as well.

Would you recommend the same for a warrior? If anything I just want to be able to cast basic healing and fire spells.

Also what weapon should I try upgrading after the drake sword? I have a gargoyle great axe.

I am not a huge fan of the Gargoyle Great Axe, the Gargoyle Halberd on the other hand is very nice.

I believe the 24 or 28 would be a better unless you go for str weapons then its 40. At 28, you can use weapons such as the Murakumo in one hand, which is a very nice dexterity weapon (yeah, dex weapon that requires 28 str to use in 1 hand). At 24 you have access to things like the Zweihander and the Man-Serpent Great Sword. But on your first playthrough I encourage to try as many weapons as you can to find a style you like.

I used the longsword on my first playthrough, I liked the moveset and got one early. I upgraded it as I went along and while it isn't the fastest killing weapon, it got the job done and I felt comfortable using it. Some weapons are trickier as the game really doesn't make things obvious, the halberd for example. If you miss a hit, you stumble and have a lengthy recovery. The description hints at this, but if you were simply trying the weapon's moves you would think the weapon horribly slow.

Defuser

27 Str / 40 dex / 12 Faith. 12 Faith is enough to cast the basic Heal miracle but it won't heal alot unless you pump in more faith which will scale with heal along with the Talisman.

Ledsen

Dark Souls still runs at 30 fps on PC. Forcing it to 60 causes rolls and jumps to go short, falling through ladders, weird discrepancies like that.

The really good reason for a gaming PC is that there are constant sales and tons of sites to buy games, so you'll save a ton of money in the long run on games that run better (hopefully) and look better. Also generally less-abrasive gaming communities, better online services (no PSN downtime or paying for Xbox Live crap) mods, and Team Fortress 2.

I played for 25 hours @ 60 fps after playing @ 30 for 30 hours, never ram into any problems. If you do have some kind of issue, you can bind a key to quickly switch to 30 fps then back to 60. So yes it does run at 60 on pc!

feel

Dark Souls still runs at 30 fps on PC. Forcing it to 60 causes rolls and jumps to go short, falling through ladders, weird discrepancies like that.

The really good reason for a gaming PC is that there are constant sales and tons of sites to buy games, so you'll save a ton of money in the long run on games that run better (hopefully) and look better. Also generally less-abrasive gaming communities, better online services (no PSN downtime or paying for Xbox Live crap) mods, and Team Fortress 2.
Dark Souls 60fps and 30fps is night and day, noone should be playing at 30 if they can pull off 60. Just don't slide down long ladders, don't try the rare long jump without pressing the key that switches to 30fps on the fly for a bit.

Can someone tell me when in the game you can access the bonus content? I just started playing this for the PS3 and was wondering if I should wait to finish the game before getting the DLC or get it right now. Do I have to start a new character to access it?

Can someone tell me when in the game you can access the bonus content? I just started playing this for the PS3 and was wondering if I should wait to finish the game before getting the DLC or get it right now. Do I have to start a new character to access it?
You don't have to start a new character. To access the DLC:

- Rescue Dusk in Darkroot Basin
- Get the lord vessel (beat O&S)
- Kill the new Crystal Golem at the start of Dukes Archive and pick up the pendant it drops
- Go back to where you rescued Dusk, a dark cloud portal has appeared, interact with it.

You don't have to start a new character. To access the DLC:

- Rescue Dusk in Darkroot Basin
- Get the lord vessel (beat O&S)
- Kill the new Crystal Golem at the start of Dukes Archive and pick up the pendant it drops
- Go back to where you rescued Dusk, a dark cloud portal has appeared, interact with it.

Thanks, especially for not reprimanding me for not reading through the million page thread. I guess I'll be getting it now after.

TY everyone for tips :)

Go for 27 str/40 dex build. 40 dex is the sweet spot because anything beyond 40 the damage difference very minor although 45 dex allows faster casting. Same goes for 27 str, anything beyond 27 is minor when you 2 hand it. Then pump in the rest of your points to Vit and End, resistance is a useless stat. Weapons that take advantage of dex would be Uchigatanas,Iaito,balder side sword,great scythe,pike,gold tracer.etc because these weapons have a A/S scale in dex when upgraded. For str woudld be Man serpent greatsword,demon machete,Zweihander,large clubs.etc

Weapons like claymore takes advantage in both str and dex because they have a C scale in both.

As for pyro,it doesn't scale on any stats but scale on the equipment upgrade so it goes with any build. If you want you can also pump 5 more points to int so you can use great magic weapon spell for extra damage.

27 str 40 dex build with Uchigatana sounds real fun. Should I kill the merchant and take his? After I buy everything I need from him I'm safe to kill him right?

Onemic

At 17 Str and 17 dex you have access to quite a few weapons. I recommend trying some and picking one that you like the moveset for. The Claymore, Zweihander, Halberd, Winged Spear, Partizan and Estoc are very nice and not too difficult to acquire (run past dragon for Claymore). You could also farm the Balder Knights (shield, red cape, sword) in Undead Parish for their Balder Side Sword as well.

I am not a huge fan of the Gargoyle Great Axe, the Gargoyle Halberd on the other hand is very nice.

I believe the 24 or 28 would be a better unless you go for str weapons then its 40. At 28, you can use weapons such as the Murakumo in one hand, which is a very nice dexterity weapon (yeah, dex weapon that requires 28 str to use in 1 hand). At 24 you have access to things like the Zweihander and the Man-Serpent Great Sword. But on your first playthrough I encourage to try as many weapons as you can to find a style you like.

I used the longsword on my first playthrough, I liked the moveset and got one early. I upgraded it as I went along and while it isn't the fastest killing weapon, it got the job done and I felt comfortable using it. Some weapons are trickier as the game really doesn't make things obvious, the halberd for example. If you miss a hit, you stumble and have a lengthy recovery. The description hints at this, but if you were simply trying the weapon's moves you would think the weapon horribly slow.

I also have the Dragon King Great Axe whcih absolutly destroys the Drake sword but has a requirement of 50 strength. So Katanas are DEX weapons? I feel like I would gravitate more towards them.

moop1167

So what the hell? I killed Seath on the first try and ONLY hit him in his "middle" tail, but his tail never came off before he lost all his health? Is there a trick to this? Doesn't make sense that I would hit his tail repeatedly but his died before it came off.

Bah decided to look it up and it said you need to hit only the tip part. I was hitting it in the middle.

Sullichin

Killed the gold crystal golem in darkroot with a chaos fireball... which immediately killed Dusk. I can still get to the DLC area (Elizabeth is dead upon arrival), but can't get crown of dusk till NG+ :(

So what the hell? I killed Seath on the first try and ONLY hit him in his "middle" tail, but his tail never came off before he lost all his health? Is there a trick to this? Doesn't make sense that I would hit his tail repeatedly but his died before it came off.

Bah decided to look it up and it said you need to hit only the tip part. I was hitting it in the middle.
You can bait him to do the breath attack and break the crystal himself which will stun him, and give you time to chop away at it.

moop1167

You can bait him to do the breath attack and break the crystal himself which will stun him, and give you time to chop away at it.

Ah well, that was my first time facing him without guides or anything so I had no clue what tricks to use. I only read on here that you can cut his tail off so I just chased it around and realized he wasn't able to track me. He got me a few times with the middle tail but I killed him pretty easily. I guess next playthrough I'll try again.

Sullichin

Ah well, that was my first time facing him without guides or anything so I had no clue what tricks to use. I only read on here that you can cut his tail off so I just chased it around and realized he wasn't able to track me. He got me a few times with the middle tail but I killed him pretty easily. I guess next playthrough I'll try again.
Yeah it can be annoying to get, but it's only worth getting at all if you're a sorcerer anyway (requires 28 INT, scales with INT, pure magic damage)

Misguided

Banned
Lots of progress today:

Capra demon dead
Opened the depths
Killed the gaping teeth dragon thing, got his tail weapon
Opened blight town door

Went back to undead asylum got the Crest shield and Rusted Iron Ring
Picked up Astora's Straight Sword and Dragon Crest Shield

Currently using the Drake Sword (non upgraded) - should I start upgrading the Astora sword? I haven't put any upgrades on any weapons yet.

Next thing I plan to do is purchase Crest of Artorias and try to get the Dark Wood Grain Ring.

If you haven't already, go back to Firelink Shrine (or Undead Asylum if you're taking the elevator down), and jump off the elevator that leads to Undead Asylum when you see a spot that you can safely land on. From there, go right, and jump across the gap onto the pillar. Take the stairs up and you should be able to find a crow's nest. There's also a key you probably have to get on a roof somewhere nearby. Curl up into a ball on the crow's nest and you'll be taken back to Northern Undead Asylum, which the first area in the game. From there you can use a key you previously didn't have to get a ring that will allow you to walk/run normally in areas where you movement is slowed. This will be invaluable in Blighttown.

Sullichin

THANK YOU to the host who dropped 800k souls for me after falling off a ledge in the catacombs. Pyro flame upgraded.

Making a pyro character for some fun PVP, started as a pyro and I've only upgraded VIT, END and ATT.

Is it worth bringing my dex up for faster casting speeds? Keep in mind it's still at 9, and I'm using a chaos reinforced club, so it would be a big investment and it would make sense for me to get a DEX weapon instead. I'm at 40VIT/END already, about SL 68.

If you haven't already, go back to Firelink Shrine (or Undead Asylum if you're taking the elevator down), and jump off the elevator that leads to Undead Asylum when you see a spot that you can safely land on. From there, go right, and jump across the gap onto the pillar. Take the stairs up and you should be able to find a crow's nest. There's also a key you probably have to get on a roof somewhere nearby. Curl up into a ball on the crow's nest and you'll be taken back to Northern Undead Asylum, which the first area in the game. From there you can use a key you previously didn't have to get a ring that will allow you to walk/run normally in areas where you movement is slowed. This will be invaluable in Blighttown.
He already did that.

Akito

I always use the wikidot one but from the look of it, the wikispaces one would just be fine as well. The layout of the wikia one sucks badly.

Thanks for these, and sorry for the late reply. That's actually a really nice page.

Agreed. Heh, pray for me. We're debating on spending the money on a PC or a bigger HDTV but I want a PC as we're going to have to start moving around a lot soon (she'll be on pharmacy rotation) and having a big expensive TV would make that really cumbersome.

Defuser

TY everyone for tips :)

27 str 40 dex build with Uchigatana sounds real fun. Should I kill the merchant and take his? After I buy everything I need from him I'm safe to kill him right?
Take note that Uchigatana/ Iaito have no scale in str which means it only scales with dex. Which is why people would make Dex/Int or Dex/Faith so they can buff their weapons for extra damage.

Weapons like Murakamo, Claymore, Demon spear, Washing pole , Black Knight weapons or weapons have both scalings in Str/Dex takes advantage of the 27/40 build. But 27/40 ensures you have you can wield majority of the weapons and a have a decent to them.

Most people prefer Iaito over Uchigatana due to the R2 moveset being better.

Onemic

im going for the 27/40 build, do i dump the rest into faith or intelligence if i want to be able to cast basic healing and fire spells?

vidcons

Banned
Fuckkkk.

Get right to the end of Sen's Fortress and I get knocked off by the last swinging axes.

Damnit, damnit, fucking damnit.

Dresden

im going for the 27/40 build, do i dump the rest into faith or intelligence if i want to be able to cast basic healing and fire spells?

If you're doing a quality build and are going to pyro on the side, just dump 5 extra points in Dex for faster casting. Forget about healing, just chomp humanities.

Caerith

Fuckkkk.

Get right to the end of Sen's Fortress and I get knocked off by the last swinging axes.

Damnit, damnit, fucking damnit.
Welcome to Sen's Fortress.

Run past 2, pause, run past 2. Make sure the snake mage is dead, ofc. Lightning can knock you off.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Dat feel

I was just one hit away from defeating Quelaag, and that bitch pulls out an unblockable insta-kill attack. Was at full health, too. *sigh*

Anyway, Blighttown wasn't nearly as bad as people made it out to be. In fact, I thought the level layout and atmosphere was fucking great. Enemies weren't bad either (besides those annoying sniper dudes).

But man, to die that way at the boss (who isn't really that tough) is a momentum killer.

EDIT: Had to go back to the game and try one more time. Beat her on my first attempt. Now I can sleep sound tonight. lol

BTW: Any reason to NOT use the Black Knight Sword? I got it really early on and it has served me tremendously well. I've been able to dispatch most enemies very quickly.

moop1167

Hmm, so I have all of the lord souls. I am SL 57. Should I be higher? Also, I assume I will be fighting the final boss soon so do I need to do the DLC now?

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
BTW, how am I doing with my stats? Going for a formidable melee character (PVE):

Warrior
Level: early 40s
Vitality: 18
Attunement: 8
Endurance: 30
Strength: 20
Dexterity: 18
Resistance: 11
Intelligence: 9
Faith: 9

Gear includes a Black Knight Sword in my right hand and an Eagle or Dragon Crest Shield in my left hand. Build has served me quite well thus far. Haven't had many issues with any enemies. Kinda feel like I'm cheating with the BKS, though. Got it early on via random enemy drop and it's still far better than any other weapon I've found, even without upgrading it.

So how far should I take endurance before focusing on vitality? Should I work on strength some more? I only upgraded it to 20 because that's the minimum required to wield the BKS efficiently (same for dexterity).

maomaoIYP

I was just one hit away from defeating Quelaag, and that bitch pulls out an unblockable insta-kill attack. Was at full health, too. *sigh*

BTW: Any reason to NOT use the Black Knight Sword? I got it really early on and it has served me tremendously well. I've been able to dispatch most enemies very quickly.

You mean the AOE explosion? It's a magic attack, you can block most of the damage with the crest shield, but a better option is to retreat when you see the woman bend over on the spider's head. Also your vitality is a little on the low side.

Most of the black knight weapons are great for str based characters, so go ahead and use it.

Sullichin

BTW, how am I doing with my stats? Going for a formidable melee character (PVE):

Warrior
Level: early 40s
Vitality: 18
Attunement: 8
Endurance: 30
Strength: 20
Dexterity: 18
Resistance: 11
Intelligence: 9
Faith: 9

Gear includes a Black Knight Sword in my right hand and an Eagle or Dragon Crest Shield in my left hand. Build has served me quite well thus far. Haven't had many issues with any enemies. Kinda feel like I'm cheating with the BKS, though. Got it early on via random enemy drop and it's still far better than any other weapon I've found, even without upgrading it.

So how far should I take endurance before focusing on vitality? Should I work on strength some more? I only upgraded it to 20 because that's the minimum required to wield the BKS efficiently (same for dexterity).

BKS sword is awesome. It doesn't have great stat scaling though, so I wouldn't even worry about increasing STR/DEX if you're gonna stick with it. Just take it to +5 when you can, and level VIT and END. Maybe some ATT if you decide to add pyro to the mix down the line.

moop1167

Artorias does not fuck around. I've got the fight down now after 5 or so tries but man I always get real anxious at the end trying to get two hits in and die.

Sure, but it's obvious he's not at that stage where he's experienced enough to.

personally I actually recommend low vitality for new players because it forces them to work on their mobility rather than just hammering the vit and end until you can two hand in havel's without ever blocking.

vic2020

Neo Member
I'm stuck at very bottom of the tomb of the giants at LVL30, it's impossible to claw my way back through those monsters in that place. Even if I do that room full of blade wheels in the catacombs destroy me, and my teleport items just take me back to the tomb of the giants.

Is there any other way to teleport out?

zkylon

zkylewd
I'm stuck at very bottom of the tomb of the giants at LVL30, it's impossible to claw my way back through those monsters in that place. Even if I do that room full of blade wheels in the catacombs destroy me, and my teleport items just take me back to the tomb of the giants.

Is there any other way to teleport out?
Ah dude you're pretty fucked. Best chance you may have is using humanity to heal so at least you don't have to worry about that and just blasting through it. I don't think I've ever went back by foot from TotG...

I've got to the DLC part and the dragon is kicking my fucking ass. I can barely get a dent in his health before I die.

Nobody is dropping summon signs either :'(
Have you talked to the giant archer yet?

Pick off the bonewheel skeletons one by one, getting their attention with an arrow.

I had to go back from TotG once - went down there before I had the Lord Vessel, completely forgot I couldn't get to Nito without it. It was hellish yes, but doable, good luck!

Top Bottom