• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

80ish, I think, using Dragon Tooth +4.

I have only the Tomb of Giants left in the main game until I'm left just waiting at that gate hoping for the best. I've been warping back every so often and nadda! Haha.

By the way, since this is my second playthrough, the notion that the game goes way downhill after Anor Londo is absolute bollocks. With that criticism fresh in my mind I was thinking of it as I was playing the last areas and they're all still a lot of fun. Not AS good as the earlier areas, but the dip in quality isn't as drastic as people make out.

Hakkuei

Artorias does not fuck around. I've got the fight down now after 5 or so tries but man I always get real anxious at the end trying to get two hits in and die.
I was so nervous in this fight that I managed to do that :
42A4E8DC82915F8D570CB9C2B1E8A1A379CC4222

That was after more than 10 tries, I wanted to kill myself haha. Luckily I killed him easily just after that.

@Foliorum Viridum : I can try to help if you're still there.

zkylon

zkylewd
80ish, I think, using Dragon Tooth +4.

I have only the Tomb of Giants left in the main game until I'm left just waiting at that gate hoping for the best. I've been warping back every so often and nadda! Haha.

By the way, since this is my second playthrough, the notion that the game goes way downhill after Anor Londo is absolute bollocks. With that criticism fresh in my mind I was thinking of it as I was playing the last areas and they're all still a lot of fun. Not AS good as the earlier areas, but the dip in quality isn't as drastic as people make out.
Really? You should be doing fine against him with that... That's weird :/

And I don't think it goes downhill after Anor Londo, Tomb of the Giants and Duke's Archives are two of my favorite levels, but Lost Izalith, Crystal Caves, are really bad.

I think I just need to dodge better. My heavy army is letting me down, probably.

Lost Izalith is a 2 minute sprint (and pretty quirky) and the Crystal Caves are great. Love not knowing where your footing is safe at first, and once you do it's a simple sprint to the boss.

SL 68 PS3...can anyone help me in tombs? Getting my ass kicked.

PSN: ssolitare

I'm hoping to get the chunks to upgrade my divine weapon from 5 to 10.

zkylon

zkylewd
I think I just need to dodge better. My heavy army is letting me down, probably.

Lost Izalith is a 2 minute sprint (and pretty quirky) and the Crystal Caves are great. Love not knowing where your footing is safe at first, and once you do it's a simple sprint to the boss.
I like the Crystal Caves as a concept, it's just that the execution is pretty bad, same old enemies in a short-ass invisible pseudo labyrinth, and it's such a lousy payoff after the amazing Duke's Archives.

Oh man, I just summoned TWO guys at once for Kalameet, get in there... they both die in about 15 seconds. :( Couldn't believe it.

I can get him down to about 30/40% health before I run out of Estus'. Time to kindle a bit more I think. My weapon does about 400dmg to him, it's just hard getting the hits in and keeping enough health to stay alive.

SL80 on PC if anyone wants to drop a sign... haha

moop1167

Oh man, I just summoned TWO guys at once for Kalameet, get in there... they both die in about 15 seconds. :( Couldn't believe it.

I can get him down to about 30/40% health before I run out of Estus'. Time to kindle a bit more I think. My weapon does about 400dmg to him, it's just hard getting the hits in and keeping enough health to stay alive.

SL80 on PC if anyone wants to drop a sign... haha

I am probably going to be beating Artorias in a few minutes here. I am only SL 60 though so can we not coop?

Unless you were just the guy that helped distract him as I slammed him with my weapon, we won't be co-oping it!

BOOM. The person I was with did pitiful damage, but the distraction meant I could get more hits in. Feels good. Now I can finish the DLC, and then the game again. :)

moop1167

Unless you were just the guy that helped distract him as I slammed him with my weapon, we won't be co-oping it!

BOOM. The person I was with did pitiful damage, but the distraction meant I could get more hits in. Feels good. Now I can finish the DLC, and then the game again. :)

No it wasn't me I can't fucking kill Artorias now.

Edit: FINALLY!!

moop1167

lol I was just about to mention that in Dark Souls you should never say "I'm gonna get over with X in a couple minutes" ...

LOL yeah exactly.

Now just got to Manus. Actually took him to 50% on first try. I'm sure it'll take me 20 tries to beat him though.

moop1167

Is SL61 too low for this guy? He's kicking my ass. I have all of his moves down but there are a few magic attacks I can't dodge.

I am not going to use the pendant or whatever because I don't have it. I wouldn't have known about it until you said that so I would prefer to beat this guy without "reading" about anything.

Oh well. The worst part about this fight is running back because that fucking guy that shoots magic balls at you is impossible to dodge so I keep dying half the time getting back.

Sajjaja

Is SL61 too low for this guy? He's kicking my ass. I have all of his moves down but there are a few magic attacks I can't dodge.

I am not going to use the pendant or whatever because I don't have it. I wouldn't have known about it until you said that so I would prefer to beat this guy without "reading" about anything.

Oh well. The worst part about this fight is running back because that fucking guy that shoots magic balls at you is impossible to dodge so I keep dying half the time getting back.

Yeah, I did it without the pendent as well, especially cause I didn't know about it. I did the whole DLC without reading on it, which felt good :p

You can do it, I did it on my level 53 strength character. It took a while, but everything is avoidable. There's only 1 magic attack you can only avoid by using the invincibility window of the roll.

Are you using the shortcut? From the
Township to the elevator that takes you to the abyss?

moop1167

Yeah, I did it without the pendent as well, especially cause I didn't know about it. I did the whole DLC without reading on it, which felt good :p

You can do it, I did it on my level 53 strength character. It took a while, but everything is avoidable. There's only 1 magic attack you can only avoid by using the invincibility window of the roll.

Are you using the shortcut? From the
Township to the elevator that takes you to the abyss?

I am just running from the abyss bonfire to the boss.

moop1167

Sigh, he looks like he's about to do the punching attack then does that magic attack with a wave of those things that take me out in 1 hit. Bullshit.

2AdEPT

I'm stuck at very bottom of the tomb of the giants at LVL30, it's impossible to claw my way back through those monsters in that place. Even if I do that room full of blade wheels in the catacombs destroy me, and my teleport items just take me back to the tomb of the giants.

Is there any other way to teleport out?

This happened to me on a SL1 run with no upgrades allowed!!! it can be done!!!

First, don't try to kill the giants and save your pyro or magic for final skellies up top. Run back along the path and trip the (normally first) bonfire. It is the one closest to the way out. Progress along the wall of the cavern by going up and then to the right of the bonfire...your skull lantern will light the way back if you have it. Soon you will come to a giant party and be shot at with arrows.....speedily run by these monsters and run up the ladder....be careful not get hit by arrows, but be ready to aggro more mobs at the top, then break back for the ladder......if you aggro both mobs they will jump down to get you while you are on the ladder....leaving the way back clear....don't even have to waste one fireball.

Then the bonewheels. I learned to stay in the tunnel, and aggro one at a time from there...once I could see one coming I ran back around the corner of the tunnel as to get closer to the end point, but I turned to face the bone wheel as it got closer. Just prior to its arrival I dodged left...it keeps running toward the end of the tunnel which is only a few steps away hopefully...mash it in the back with your weapon. rinse and repeat. I found it difficult to kill the skellies when they were with the ring leader pinwheelw that throw flames, and definitely face the black knight one on one if possible...but that's what you saved your pyro for...melt them.

moop1167

WTF. How do I dodge that magic attack from Manus? I dodged like 34590834590348 times and it still htis me for 90% health. I would have beat him that time but he did it like 4 times.

Let's see what the crest shield can do even though I never leveled it up.

zkylon

zkylewd
There's one magic attack you can dodge by running towards him, and another one that you can dodge by just running far away from him.

Unfortunately I forgot which one was which.

The pendant is basically used to make you immune to magic for a second, which helps tremendously against Manus. Not gonna tell you where to get it, just gonna tell a small hint:
pay attention to the messages in Township (not in the Abyss, go back if you have to), specially developer messages.

Sajjaja

I am just running from the abyss bonfire to the boss.

There's a shortcut you can unlock which is much easier to navigate through.
If you just go from the bonfire by the abyss, goto the first marker and take that pathway down. You'll come to this narrow bridge that is angled down, once you get to the end of it, goto the left side and just hug that wall all the way down. You should see a familiar NPC appear then disappear if it's the path I'm talking about. Once you get to where you need to end, you'll see an elevator on your left, and that will take you back to the oolacile township.

Sajjaja

GAF I accidentally deleted my fucking character, goddammit.

But I realized that Divine Build was kinda meh, what build should I do?

I started with a Dex build which was cool, but now I'm doing a 2h strength build and it's totally awesome. I can't even play with my dex build any more lol.

Hakkuei

There's a shortcut you can unlock which is much easier to navigate through.
If you just go from the bonfire by the abyss, goto the first marker and take that pathway down. You'll come to this narrow bridge that is angled down, once you get to the end of it, goto the left side and just hug that wall all the way down. You should see a familiar NPC appear then disappear if it's the path I'm talking about. Once you get to where you need to end, you'll see an elevator on your left, and that will take you back to the oolacile township.

That's not a shortcut. The normal route is way faster.

Ledsen

I'm stuck at very bottom of the tomb of the giants at LVL30, it's impossible to claw my way back through those monsters in that place. Even if I do that room full of blade wheels in the catacombs destroy me, and my teleport items just take me back to the tomb of the giants.

Is there any other way to teleport out?

Just use the Dark Sign in your inventory.

edit: Oh wait ... no that won't help.

I am in the
painted world and I died against Crossbreed Priscilla. I went to go back to fight her, but the second half of the undead dragon is blocking my way
. I have tried doing the jumping attack to try to get it to move, but it won't budge. I either am not doing the attack right or it seems I am stuck....

Edit: Nevermind, I am an idiot. I was just doing it wrong.

Dresden

GAF I accidentally deleted my fucking character, goddammit.

But I realized that Divine Build was kinda meh, what build should I do?

I think everyone should play once with a two-hander build using a Zweihander or something similar - you learn to play without a shield, and get a good feel for spacing and range. The Zwei is a good choice since it staggers just about anything, so it's easier than going no-shield with something like a pair of daggers.

ACE 1991

Welp, I think I'm done with this game due to GFWL bullshit. For some reason my live account says "Your parent's Windows Live ID is invalid. Please change it." I have no idea what the parent email is so I have no way of playing this game online. Fuck.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Got invaded chilling by a bonfire. Summoned in two guys to help but I just watched them die off one by one while this dude rolled around. Jesus Christ the people who PvP seriously in this game are horrifying.

Sentenza

My copy of Dark Souls on Steam just patched. What the hell was that?
12 MB, small update.

EDIT: AAAAaaand now the game doesn't work anymore.

Sentenza

Didn't break mine, but the game seems to run pretty shitty now...
After a bit of testing I noticed it's the 60fps unlocker that makes the game crash on startup.
Every other feature included in Durante's fix still works without too much issues, apparently.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Man Dark Souls PVPers are some whiny fucks. I get more salt playing this for a week than I would playing a fighting game for a whole year.

And if the update breaks the FPS unlock permanently then I'm gonna be pissed. Without it, fog gates drop me to 15 FPS and it makes large swaths of the game unplayable for PVP.

Koeta

From what I'm hearing the patch broke the fps part of DSfix, if you don't change the fps it should still work, I haven't done any testing myself though...still trying to find out just what this patch did though other then break the fps hack.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
From what I'm hearing the patch broke the fps part of DSfix, if you don't change the fps it should still work, I haven't done any testing myself though...still trying to find out just what this patch did though other then break the fps hack.

I'm guessing they fixed it so whats-his-face drops the key to the seal 100% when you kill him now.

I think everyone should play once with a two-hander build using a Zweihander or something similar - you learn to play without a shield, and get a good feel for spacing and range. The Zwei is a good choice since it staggers just about anything, so it's easier than going no-shield with something like a pair of daggers.

Alright cool, will do.

Onemic

Man Dark Souls PVPers are some whiny fucks. I get more salt playing this for a week than I would playing a fighting game for a whole year.

And if the update breaks the FPS unlock permanently then I'm gonna be pissed. Without it, fog gates drop me to 15 FPS and it makes large swaths of the game unplayable for PVP.

Why would an FPS unlock improve your FPS in areas where it drops below 30?

ACE 1991

Welp, I think I'm done with this game due to GFWL bullshit. For some reason my live account says "Your parent's Windows Live ID is invalid. Please change it." I have no idea what the parent email is so I have no way of playing this game online. Fuck.

Anyone ever experience something similar? It looks like I'm boned and can never play this game online again.

Why would an FPS unlock improve your FPS in areas where it drops below 30?

Because with the fps unlock activated you are disabling vsync. With vsync on if you drop below 30 it will lock at 15 until you get out of the troublesome area. With vsync off the frame rate can be anything, so that same drop that brought you down to 15fps might only take you to 25fps.

Top Bottom