• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Onemic

Because with the fps unlock activated you are disabling vsync. With vsync on if you drop below 30 it will lock at 15 until you get out of the troublesome area. With vsync off the frame rate can be anything, so that same drop that brought you down to 15fps might only take you to 25fps.

ah. Can't you get banned from Xbox Live by using it though? That's the main reason why I've shied away from enabling it.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Because with the fps unlock activated you are disabling vsync. With vsync on if you drop below 30 it will lock at 15 until you get out of the troublesome area. With vsync off the frame rate can be anything, so that same drop that brought you down to 15fps might only take you to 25fps.

Yeah. The annoying thing is that with it activated, fog gates only drop me a few frames below 30.

Man, feels good running through Tomb of the Giants in one go. I didn't even find the bonfire, I just kept on following any path I could find and before I knew it I was at Nito. He was absolutely piss easy with my Dragon Tooth +4 as well.

I remember spending SO long there on my first playthrough, now I lucked my way through it and destroyed the boss without a sweat, ha.

Really satisfying!

ACE 1991

So what weapon should I get after I beat gaping dragon? I'm SL 33 and I have a drake sword. Also at SL 33 I still have no idea if I should be using magic or miracles or anything. How should I build my character if I wanna wear heavy armor and use a sword and board mostly?

So what weapon should I get after I beat gaping dragon? I'm SL 33 and I have a drake sword. Also at SL 33 I still have no idea if I should be using magic or miracles or anything. How should I build my character if I wanna wear heavy armor and use a sword and board mostly?
Stop using Drake Sword. Upgrade the Claymore, or even Longsword if you want 'sword and board.' You don't really need magic or miracles, though having one or two attunement slots for pyromancy (which has no stat prerequisites) is helpful.

ACE 1991

Stop using Drake Sword. Upgrade the Claymore, or even Longsword if you want 'sword and board.' You don't really need magic or miracles, though having one or two attunement slots for pyromancy (which has no stat prerequisites) is helpful.

Ok, thanks! do you have any tips for how I should be building statwise?

Ok, thanks! do you have any tips for how I should be building statwise?

Endurance to increase Equip Load (since you want to use heavy armor).

Outside of that, Strength and Dexterity in proportion to the scaling of the weapon you want to use.

Claymore and Longsword are easily obtainable early weapons.

For rarer drops, I recommend Balder Side Sword (Balder Knights in Undead Chapel) and Silver Knight Straight Sword (Silver Knights in Anor Londo). Both scale well with Dexterity.

There are more powerful swords, such as the Zweihander, and the Black Knight Sword (and Great Sword), but I personally think they're too slow, and require high Strength.

Using swords that scale with Dexterity gives you the bonus of increasing the power of any bow you might occasionally use.

ACE 1991

Endurance to increase Equip Load (since you want to use heavy armor).

Outside of that, Strength and Dexterity in proportion to the scaling of the weapon you want to use.

Claymore and Longsword are easily obtainable early weapons.

For rarer drops, I recommend Balder Side Sword (Balder Knights in Undead Chapel) and Silver Knight Straight Sword (Silver Knights in Anor Londo). Both scale well with Dexterity.

There are more powerful swords, such as the Zweihander, and the Black Knight Sword (and Great Sword), but I personally think they're too slow, and require high Strength.

Using swords that scale with Dexterity gives you the bonus of increasing the power of any bow you might occasionally use.

Alright, thanks! =) I'll try to farm the balder side sword. I need a lot of humanity to increase the drop chance, right?

Alright, thanks! =) I'll try to farm the balder side sword. I need a lot of humanity to increase the drop chance, right?
Humanity can increase the drop rate, yes. There is a magic item that drastically increases the drop rate that you can find in a later area. I recommend waiting until you find it before attempting to farm. And at the stage you're at, upgraded Claymore or Longsword is perfectly useful. No need to grind out a rare item drop right now.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Holy shit there a
serpent down here in the abyss! And I can join a covenant! Why have I never seen this before? He's never shown up until now!

Booshka

You can have the lordvessel, you just can't have placed it in the altar yet.

Or talk to the other Serpent in Firelink after you get the lordvessel, it won't work if you talk to him with it, even if you don't place after he takes you to Gwyn's Prison

moop1167

Well Manus only took me about 30 tries. Fuck. I had the fight down for a while but I kept making like one or two mistakes and got punished.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Finished Catacombs. 2ez, etc, etc. I was human when I first went in there and some guy invaded me. He spent like five minutes shooting poison darts and throwing toxic shit at me. Couldn't clear the area of skeletons so I didn't really have a good way to fight him, and I was sort of locked in by the cloud gate. His poison didn't really do anything. He tried shooting flaming arrows at me but they couldn't break through my shield at all. I ultimately died trying to fight him with the skeletons. I am really not good at PvP.

God fucking damnit. I didn't know Seath could curse you. I'm mad.

What's the general strategy for this guy? He let me wail on him until he was at half health and then he 1-shot'd me with that area attack and left me cursed.

New Game + was so easy up until Anor Londo :(

ArynCrinn

Banned
Yeah, fuck blue Golems in the asshole with a big rubber dick!

Rolling my new glass canon Sorcerer build and kill the Hydra with only Soul Arrows (never did that), killed the Golden Golem (no Rusted Iron Ring, so it was tense), and went back to activate Dusk's sign. So I sneak up to the sign without alerting the last alive Golems, activate the sign...and just as she spawns the pricks spring into action and kill her with a leaping attack, in unison. And then kill me who's just standing there in shock and horror. "You Died Like A Bitch" follows...

Fuck Crystal Golems, fuck their children, and anybody who likes Crystal Golems. Their assholes who wait until the last moment to aggro and ruin a entire PvP build. Didn't help I was drunk. I wanted that Chameleon spell goddamnit!

Sajjaja

Yeah, fuck blue Golem in the asshole with a big rubber dick!

Rolling my new glass canon Sorcerer build and kill the Hydra with only Soul Arrows (never did that), killed the Golden Golem (no Rusted Iron Ring, so it was tense), and went back to activate Dusk's sign. So I sneak up to the sign without alerting the last alive Golems, activate the sign...and just as she spawns the pricks spring into action and kill her with a leaping attack, in unison. And then kill me who's just standing there in shock and horror. "You Died Like A Bitch" follows...

Fuck Crystal Golems, fuck their children, and anybody who likes Crystal Golems. Their assholes who wait until the last moment to aggro and ruin a entire PvP build. Didn't help I was drunk. I wanted that Chameleon spell goddamnit!

Welcome to Dark Souls baby :D Rule 1, you got careless. But.......how does that affect your DLC....................Well she was a Phantom in your world, you should be fine......or.....my mind....is breaking.......

ArynCrinn

Banned
Welcome to Dark Souls baby :D Rule 1, you got careless. But.......how does that affect your DLC....................Well she was a Phantom in your world, you should be fine......or.....my mind....is breaking.......

Nah, it shouldn't mess with the DLC. But I was basing some of my build on a few of those spells. :(

And yeah, carelessness on my part, but still sucks.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Doesn't Elizabeth sell the same spells as Dusk?

Still funny, I've never seen Dusk be collateral damage!

Good point, forgot about that. Should be fun hoofing it to Elizabeth at SL35 using a ranged class I have virtually no experience with (pure mage basically). But so far it's been easy as hell, got my INT up to 40 already, also bumped STG/DEX up to use the Estoc, and bumped VIT/END up...lvl 35 now.

I guess with Dusk Crown, Bellowing Dragoncrest, (maybe Red Tearstone occasionally), and Power Within it should be fireworks with all the best spells. Any recommendations on a good Catalyst for lvl 35? I have no clue when it comes to that stuff...

Dresden

Good point, forgot about that. Should be fun hoofing it to Elizabeth at SL35 using a ranged class I have virtually no experience with (pure mage basically). But so far it's been easy as hell, got my INT up to 40 already, also bumped STG/DEX up to use the Estoc, and bumped VIT/END up...lvl 35 now.

I guess with Dusk Crown, Bellowing Dragoncrest, (maybe Red Tearstone occasionally), and Power Within it should be fireworks with all the best spells. Any recommendations on a good Catalyst for lvl 35? I have no clue when it comes to that stuff...

at 40 int it's the regular catalyst > all until int50, which is when you should use Logan's catalyst. the tin crystallization catalyst is more situational but you won't get that until Duke's anyways.

ArynCrinn

Banned
at 40 int it's the regular catalyst > all until int50, which is when you should use Logan's catalyst. the tin crystallization catalyst is more situational but you won't get that until Duke's anyways.

Thanks man! I'll just stick with my regular catalyst then.

Regular catalyst is better than Dusks? I didn't know, was using Dusks at low levels, then switched to Logans/Tin Crystal. If you can take the health hit, it's good to use the Dusk ring too for extra casts (especially with the Tin Crystal to offset the halfing of casts with that one).

Dusk crown+Bellowing Ring+Tin Crystalisation (+Red Tearstone?!) is crazy damage, makes PvE broken!

Dresden

Regular catalyst is better than Dusks? I didn't know, was using Dusks at low levels, then switched to Logans/Tin Crystal. If you can take the health hit, it's good to use the Dusk ring too for extra casts (especially with the Tin Crystal to offset the halfing of casts with that one).

Dusk crown+Bellowing Ring+Tin Crystalisation (+Red Tearstone?!) is crazy damage, makes PvE broken!

the Oolacile cata is better until like, 28 (? forget the exact level) int, iirc. Scaling makes the regular catalyst better after that point though.

It's too bad the Manus catalyst seems to be pretty useless, it looks nifty. No one is going to get it over a Pursuers though.

dammit. second time i put up a white sign in forest and the game summons me as a black phantom....

this glitch is weird.... (but fun, dont need to waste red eye orbs)

Gaf, I have the Sunlight Blade Miracle (faith build), but I'm not so keen on using it for PvP or saving for bosses like I thought i would.

What should I do with my Claymore? Should I +15 it, make it divine (meh damage) or take it to lightning?

Strength/faith builds look pretty cool. Are they effective in pve? What would this look like stat wise?

Be sure to still use pyromancy for pve

Oh my god..... I am a fucking dumb ass, I just accidentally deleted my level 97 character. 33 hours just wasted..... There is no way I could re-obtain the save file, is there?

Finished it again. Just as bittersweet as the first time. The huge graphical bump, performance increase and DLC made this version MILES better than the console version.

I have a good character ready to roll in to NG+ sometime next year when the Dark Souls 2 hype gets me.

schwupp

Oh my god..... I am a fucking dumb ass, I just accidentally deleted my level 97 character. 33 hours just wasted..... There is no way I could re-obtain the save file, is there?

did you enable the backup feature? if so, you should have some in your documents folder.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
is he waiting at the firekeeper shrine?
too bad i´m in front of quelaag :(

The witch should be in the swamp if you die and hoof it back to Quelaag, look left from Quelaag for a "pillar" where the witch is.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Currently battling
Ornstein & Smough
in Anor Londo. Tough fucking fight.

Had a really weird glitch happen. I manage to take down
Smough
first, but the moment I do I get an error message saying I've been disconnected from GFWL, so it exits me out the game and forces me back to my last autosave. Fucking hell, that pissed me off. The game is already difficult enough; I shouldn't have to fight the goddamn system on top of it.

*sigh*

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
So... is there any way to get this game to work in Windows 8 with the controller plugged in?

Just like with The Walking Dead, the game won't boot up if I have a controller plugged in. Of course, if I don't have a controller plugged in at launch, it won't work in the game.

Am I really going to just have to reinstall Windows 7? If anyone has any ideas, I'd appreciate it.

schwupp

just killed quelaag.

http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/file/view/DKSNav.jpg/260401316/800x499/DKSNav.jpg
suggests to go to the flying dragons valley - how do i get there? cant find that zone on the wiki.

[edit]
ok the zones name is valey of the drakes. still no idea how to get there or which items i should pick up if i find it.

[edit2]
YT to the help :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-_NiTpNtSk&feature=y­outube_gdata

i´m still not sure whats my mission there, since there is no boss in that zone if i understood the wiki.

Sullichin

just killed quelaag.

http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/file/view/DKSNav.jpg/260401316/800x499/DKSNav.jpg
suggests to go to the flying dragons valley - how do i get there? cant find that zone on the wiki.

[edit]
ok the zones name is valey of the drakes. still no idea how to get there or which items i should pick up if i find it.

[edit2]
YT to the help :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-_NiTpNtSk&feature=y­outube_gdata

i´m still not sure whats my mission there, since there is no boss in that zone if i understood the wiki.

It's just saying that one way to get out of blighttown is through the valley of drakes -> new londo ruins -> firelink shrine. You can head back this way if you ride the waterwheel up in the Blighttown swamp. Pick up the key to new londo ruins at the top if you don't have the master key. You're only in new londo and valley of drakes for a very short time on this route.

Ringing the second bell after beating Quelaag opens up the gate to Sen's Fortress which you can get to from the undead parish bonfire (near where the blacksmith is). The enemies there are a good gear check, you might want to upgrade your weapon.

schwupp

Ringing the second bell after beating Quelaag opens up the gate to Sen's Fortress which you can get to from the undead parish bonfire (near where the blacksmith is). The enemies there are a good gear check, you might want to upgrade your weapon.

ah thanks :)
i´m using the drake sword atm - any suggestions what i should use?

SJRB

Gold Member
Beating the Taurus army in the Demon Ruins was easier than I thought. I just had to lure them one at a time using the good old bow trick.

Silver knight sword +5 is a pretty solid weapon.

Can anyone help me with the mousefix patch/hud fix/whatever patch it is that fixed button prompts on a keyboard. I know where to find Durantes resolution and fps fix but I need the others to be able to play.

Top Bottom