• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

neoism

so guys just got this bad boy.. it looks decent without the dsfix... I'm running it on a 720p hdtv...in 1280x720p does the fix really make it better... the game is boss. lol

installed
lol nevermind looks fucking amazing in 720p on meh tv 60fps.. :O

feel

so guys just got this bad boy.. it looks decent without the dsfix... I'm running it on a 720p hdtv...in 1280x720p does the fix really make it better... the game is boss. lol
You should still get it for disabling mouse cursor, disabling intro movies, 60fps, backup saves, etc

Styles

Just got a blue screen from trying to set up my ps3 controller using MotioninJoy... I followed the instructions, but alas to no avail.

neoism

lol game is fuckin hard but losing souls is no biggy... love it. that dsfix tool is AWESOME. game looks amazing runs perfect lol I waited all day to get this fo 12.99 really happy I got it. bed now though lol 5am lol

ParityBit

So I met the first merchant, and followed the "clue" that said attack him ... I did and I killed him. Does he come back? I did not buy anything from him!! Or am I screwed?

Onemic

So I met the first merchant, and followed the "clue" that said attack him ... I did and I killed him. Does he come back? I did not buy anything from him!! Or am I screwed?

....ya

He aint coming back. You generally don't want to kill merchants unless they have an item you want and you have no further use for their services.

EasyMode

You're not really screwed since he's not an important merchant. He drops a pretty cool sword (along with a key and a soapstone for writing messages), but you probably won't be able to use it at the moment.

EasyMode

Keep going, he's not important. In the future, avoid killing people or creatures that are not hostile.

That sword requires 14 Str and 14 Dex. When selecting weapons press the 'X' button on the 360 controller to see the weapon details, including stat requirements.

ParityBit

Keep going, he's not important. In the future, avoid killing people or creatures that are not hostile.

That sword requires 14 Str and 14 Dex. When selecting weapons press the 'X' button on the 360 controller to see the weapon details, including stat requirements.

Should I level up and raise my stats to see if I can wield it (or get close?) Or should I just forget it/hold it and move on?

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Finally defeated
Ornstein & Smough
!

Maybe it's because I'm strictly melee combat, but these two were by far the most difficult boss battle so far.

My strategy was to
kill Ornstein first, which, if everything went well, I was able to do in less than a minute. But then Smough kept kicking my ass with his thunder hammer, until I realized I didn't necessarily have to go behind him and attack his butt to do large amounts of damage. Made the fight easier. His thunder butt stomp still got me several times, though.

Ended up with 75k souls after the fight and went up three or four levels to SL57. Current stats:

Warrior
Level: 57
Vitality: 20
Attunement: 8
Endurance: 37
Strength: 27
Dexterity: 18
Resistance: 11
Intelligence: 9
Faith: 9

Feeling good about this build. I'm rocking Havel's Armor, with a Man-serpent Greatsword +10 and an Eagle Shield in my hands. Before that I was rocking the Black Knight Sword +2, which has lasted me from the very beginning of the game. So lucky I got it as early as I did, but now I'm in the mood for something different, so I plan on taking my MSGS to +15.

Next stop, New Londo!

Peace Tea

Just now finding that Four Kings is the only boss where I HAVE to go in and tank it :/.... Gonna make a few more attempts and should be successful.

I'm also finding that I forever nerfed my build by upgrading my endurance past 9, to 14. Now even with the heaviest armor, nothing passes my 115 percent equip threshold. iirc, the game would've dramatically scaled further in my favor had I been able to do that.

When being summoned to the forest, I once returned with over 200k in souls... is this a bug? Or did this player perhaps cheat? I didn't know that I gained the souls of the players I would vanquish.. it was a crazy amount.

Saige

I must do better.
Damn this game is great. I don’t know where the fuck I'm going and I love it.

Multiplayer seems kind of weird though. I had some guy come into my game so that I could get some help with the
two gargoyle bosses
, but he just one shots them with some magic. Kind of a downer after I spent awhile prepping for that fight.

Booshka

Finally defeated
Ornstein & Smough
!

Maybe it's because I'm strictly melee combat, but these two were by far the most difficult boss battle so far.

My strategy was to
kill Ornstein first, which, if everything went well, I was able to do in less than a minute. But then Smough kept kicking my ass with his thunder hammer, until I realized I didn't necessarily have to go behind him and attack his butt to do large amounts of damage. Made the fight easier. His thunder butt stomp still got me several times, though.

Ended up with 75k souls after the fight and went up three or four levels to SL57. Current stats:

Warrior
Level: 57
Vitality: 20
Attunement: 8
Endurance: 37
Strength: 27
Dexterity: 18
Resistance: 11
Intelligence: 9
Faith: 9

Feeling good about this build. I'm rocking Havel's Armor, with a Man-serpent Greatsword +10 and an Eagle Shield in my hands. Before that I was rocking the Black Knight Sword +2, which has lasted me from the very beginning of the game. So lucky I got it as early as I did, but now I'm in the mood for something different, so I plan on taking my MSGS to +15.

Next stop, New Londo!
Your stats are good, I would leave your Strength where it is and level Endurance to 40 then level Dexterity (stop at 40 and Vitality (40-50 max). The Man Serpent Greatsword is good, but since you already have some Dex, you would probably do more damage with a Zweihander or Greatsword, especially if you level your dexterity higher. Also, with high weapon stats you'll be able to use nearly all weapons (including bows) effectively at +15, so you can play around with all the different weapons.
Just now finding that Four Kings is the only boss where I HAVE to go in and tank it :/.... Gonna make a few more attempts and should be successful.

I'm also finding that I forever nerfed my build by upgrading my endurance past 9, to 14. Now even with the heaviest armor, nothing passes my 115 percent equip threshold. iirc, the game would've dramatically scaled further in my favor had I been able to do that.
You don't have to tank 4 kings, you can roll to avoid all of their attacks, and if you have a high magic resist shield, can block their AoE and take little damage. It's best to wear lighter armor that has high magic defense, because 4 Kings only do magic damage. You don't really need poise if you roll well and stay close, their attacks do a fraction of the damage if you are extremely close to them.
When being summoned to the forest, I once returned with over 200k in souls... is this a bug? Or did this player perhaps cheat? I didn't know that I gained the souls of the players I would vanquish.. it was a crazy amount.
Any kill you get in co op gives you half of what the host gets. For PvP, the soul payout is based on how many souls it takes the player to level. The host of the session gets half of what it takes invaders to level, phantoms get half of what the host gets, so 25% of souls to level for invader when vanquished.

If the invader kills the host or their co op phantom, they get 10% the souls to level, if the invader kills the host they also get the item associated with their covenant (Humanity, Eye of Death, Souvenir of Reprisal, Dragon Scale).

You will see a lot of players "farming" invaders in the forest, because as host you get a lot of souls for kills. This is where ganksquads come into play, a host summons 1 or 2 phantoms to constantly team up on invaders and kill them over and over for souls, or just to be dicks.
Damn this game is great. I don’t know where the fuck I'm going and I love it.

Multiplayer seems kind of weird though. I had some guy come into my game so that I could get some help with the
two gargoyle bosses
, but he just one shots them with some magic. Kind of a downer after I spent awhile prepping for that fight.
It's best to not summon player phantoms if you don't want them to run through areas and bosses one shotting everything. Some players will be like you with lower level gear, but most phantoms are fully upgraded and very experienced so they breeze through the level for you.

If you summon someone, you can tell them to not blast through the level, and use gear more applicable to your soul level and area progression. Also, you can just tell them to hang around and only kill any invaders that may come into your game while you go through the level yourself. You'd be surprised how many people will oblige your requests, and if they don't, use the Black Crystal to remove them from your game.

Peace Tea

You don't have to tank 4 kings, you can roll to avoid all of their attacks, and if you have a high magic resist shield, can block their AoE and take little damage. It's best to wear lighter armor that has high magic defense, because 4 Kings only do magic damage. You don't really need poise if you roll well and stay close, their attacks do a fraction of the damage if you are extremely close to them.

It could just be me, but it seems like their attack animations are more difficult to distinguish (the kings being all white with seemingly thin outlines could be the cause?) than other bosses. That's why I've avoided rolling around.

I'll try throwing on some magic oriented armor.

Booshka

It could just be me, but it seems like their attack animations are more difficult to distinguish (the kings being all white with seemingly thin outlines could be the cause?) than other bosses. That's why I've avoided rolling around.

I'll try throwing on some magic oriented armor.

I've fought them a lot, so I can distinguish their attacks, so it takes a little time. The Painted Guardian set is great for magic resist, and upgraded Dingy gear is by far the best. Also, Logan's Big Hat.

Started this yesterday. So far, I got to the Taurus Demon and got my ass kicked a few times, so I decided to go a-wanderin' (largely in places I clearly shouldn't be at yet, but I want less sucky equipment and feel the need for adventure :p).

A question though...Is there any other purpose to the item souls (ex. soul of a lost undead) than to just gain a bunch of souls quickly? Not that I want to spend them all now, but I was just wondering if they had a more specific function.

Also, what does the faith stat actually mean? I am not terribly well-versed in RPG lingo.

Booshka

Started this yesterday. So far, I got to the Taurus Demon and got my ass kicked a few times, so I decided to go a-wanderin' (largely in places I clearly shouldn't be at yet, but I want less sucky equipment and feel the need for adventure :p).

A question though...Is there any other purpose to the item souls (ex. soul of a lost undead) than to just gain a bunch of souls quickly? Not that I want to spend them all now, but I was just wondering if they had a more specific function.

Also, what does the faith stat actually mean? I am not terribly well-versed in RPG lingo.

Most soul items are only for gaining souls quickly, and are best used when you are at a bonfire ready to level, or at a merchant/blacksmith ready to spend. Using them out in the field is foolish. There are some Soul items that you get from Bosses, and most of these can be used to forge special unique weapons along with just giving you Souls. Best to keep those for weapon upgrading, since they are unique.

Faith determines your ability and effectiveness at casting Miracles. There are a variety of Miracle spells that can be used to heal you, push enemies away, return to bonfire, magic buff your weapon, give you a magic barrier, and plenty of others. Faith is just one of the three schools of Magic in Dark Souls, Pyromancy and Sorcery being the others. Faith governs Miracles, and Intelligence governs Sorcery, Pyromancy is independent of any skill, and is only determined by the strength of your Pyro glove and the spells you have for it.

RedSwirl

A5E4220E983B1D3FB041ECAEB40264CCF8400EC9

Most soul items are only for gaining souls quickly, and are best used when you are at a bonfire ready to level, or at a merchant/blacksmith ready to spend. Using them out in the field is foolish. There are some Soul items that you get from Bosses, and most of these can be used to forge special unique weapons along with just giving you Souls. Best to keep those for weapon upgrading, since they are unique.

Ok, if I get any boss ones, I'll hold on to them. I figured that was the point of the generic ones.

Booshka said:
Faith determines your ability and effectiveness at casting Miracles. There are a variety of Miracle spells that can be used to heal you, push enemies away, return to bonfire, magic buff your weapon, give you a magic barrier, and plenty of others. Faith is just one of the three schools of Magic in Dark Souls, Pyromancy and Sorcery being the others. Faith governs Miracles, and Intelligence governs Sorcery, Pyromancy is independent of any skill, and is only determined by the strength of your Pyro glove and the spells you have for it.

Oh, ok. I started leveling that up so I could use the sword I stole off of a sleeping dragon (who promptly woke up and murdered me). I noticed it raised some stats, but I figured it had to have another purpose. I haven't gotten any miracles yet (started off as a pyromancer).

MrOogieBoogie

Your stats are good, I would leave your Strength where it is and level Endurance to 40 then level Dexterity (stop at 40 and Vitality (40-50 max). The Man Serpent Greatsword is good, but since you already have some Dex, you would probably do more damage with a Zweihander or Greatsword, especially if you level your dexterity higher. Also, with high weapon stats you'll be able to use nearly all weapons (including bows) effectively at +15, so you can play around with all the different weapons.

Thanks for the suggestion, will certainly consider it. Anyone else recommend doing this? Or should I pump points in another stat, like Faith?

Moaradin

Goddamn
Bell Gargoyle(s)
. Any tips for them? I do okay until the second one shows up. I can't block them both.

Use those
Gold Pine Resins you should have and they drop pretty fast. You should be able to kill the first one before the second one drops down. The second one is easy on it's own.

I haven't gotten any miracles yet (started off as a pyromancer).
Petrus, the monk at Firelink Shrine sells miracles if you want to try them, and there is a free talisman (used for casting miracles) close by in a secret chest!

Ok, thanks. I'll try it tomorrow :)
You can also summon up to two NPC white (friendly) phantoms for this boss fight if you are having trouble - there are a couple of conditions in summoning them, at least one of which you should've done already.

NPC 1:
Solaire, you should have spoke to him and received the white soapstone from him at the opposite end of the bridge from the dragon
NPC 2:
Lautrec, the guy locked in the cell in the Parish, once rescued, return to Firelink Shrine and he will be across from where the firekeeper is - speak to him

Dawg

Just started this game today as a warrior.

Was kinda hard the first few hours, but I managed to master that parry/riposte attack. I finished off that Black Knight using nothing but parry & riposte (at lvl 7). He fell down every time I did it, so I had time to heal if needed as well.

Got the black knight sword from him, looks really awesome (stat wise).

Defeated taurus demon as well and I got the drake sword off that one dragon's tail. Seems cool and I can equip it already. Need a few more stats for the black knight sword.

Will continue tomorrow, first impression is very positive though :)

Akito

Was kinda hard the first few hours, but I managed to master that parry/riposte attacks. I finished off that Black Knight using nothing but parry & riposte (at lvl 7). He fell down every time I did it, so I had time to heal if needed as well.

Defeated taurus demon as well and I got the drake sword off that one dragon's tail. Seems cool and I can equip it already. Need a few more stats for the black knight sword.

That's not a proper newbie experience with DS
lol j/k

Dawg

That's not a proper newbie experience with DS
lol j/k

Lol, true. I DID die a lot in Undead Burg though. Enemies hitting me in the back when I attacked different enemies. Those archers (taurus area) at the tower who attack me straight away after I climb the ladder. Taurus himself killed me quite a lot as well, wasn't easy until I found out just standing near his crotch and blocking saves me from like 95% of his hits.

I also tried going down before entering Taurus area. I opened a door with the master key and this soldier attacked me. I think he's called "The Rock" or something. Tough motherfucker, really.

The black knight also killed me quite a lot till I figured out how to parry/riposte succesfully. I think his sword is somewhat OP though, although I have yet to equip it.

And yeah, I'm not even counting the times I fell down after rolling away from enemies. Those are the worst deaths, but they're also the deaths that make me better and better (I think.).

All in all, I really like how dieing makes you stronger in a way. You begin to deflect attacks better, you're more careful and you just get better at the game.

Booshka

Lol, true. I DID die a lot in Undead Burg though. Enemies hitting me in the back when I attacked different enemies. Those archers (taurus area) at the tower who attack me straight away after I climb the ladder. Taurus himself killed me quite a lot as well, wasn't easy until I found out just standing near his crotch and blocking saves me from like 95% of his hits.

I also tried going down before entering Taurus area. I opened a door with the master key and this soldier attacked me. I think he's called "The Rock" or something. Tough motherfucker, really.

The black knight also killed me quite a lot till I figured out how to parry/riposte succesfully. I think his sword is somewhat OP though, although I have yet to equip it.

And yeah, I'm not even counting the times I fell down after rolling away from enemies. Those are the worst deaths, but they're also the deaths that make me better and better (I think.).

All in all, I really like how dieing makes you stronger in a way. You begin to deflect attacks better, you're more careful and you just get better at the game.

Glad to hear you're picking it up quickly and actually learning from your deaths like you are supposed to. And yea, the Black Knight Sword is real OP for most of the game, but hey you earned it, so use it if you want. Don't let it keep you from trying out and upgrading a lot of other weapons though.

Peace Tea

Finally beat
Four Kings...that piece of shit

Did a speed run earlier through
Duke 's Archives and Tomb of the Giants/Catacombs
, just to get some gear, which didn't even help me defeat 4Ks.

Ended up untanking my character and throwing on Logan's Big Hat, Sorcery Robe +9 and Sorcery Gloves +9. Thanks Booshka.

Finally My tactics turned into dodging 4k's 2hit combo, which he used 80% of the time.... & man that second swing is pretty lethal.

MrOogieBoogie

Was kinda hard the first few hours, but I managed to master that parry/riposte attack. I finished off that Black Knight using nothing but parry & riposte (at lvl 7). He fell down every time I did it, so I had time to heal if needed as well.

I also picked up the Black Knight Sword early on, and let me tell you, it'll be your best friend for the next 15-20 hours. Trust me. No other weapon compares early on (unless you're lucky enough to get another Black Knight weapon).

neoism

lol so many ppls leaving messages and stuff lol lovein this game.... its soo awesome. died 10+ times on that boss right before the dragon bridge... lol I died over 10 times trying to get my souls back in the forest area where that big fuckin 4 headed dragon shoots those white blob things... lol damn... still its so fun. I guess I just didn't understand with demon souls got that game and 4 hours later losing my souls over and over it made me mad as fuck.. lol I think I just got the game before I appreciated difficulty in games.. its no biggy to loose your souls... in demon souls with no info going in it just felt like I was wasting my time because it didn't feel like I was progressing... was there bonfires in Demon Souls.... I'm stuck at the dragon on the bridge not sure I can kill him yet lol I played about 5 hours just now love going to the bonfire and back the the bridge for 550 souls each time lol 1000s a minute. :p

lol so many ppls leaving messages and stuff lol lovein this game.... its soo awesome. died 10+ times on that boss right before the dragon bridge... lol I died over 10 times trying to get my souls back in the forest area where that big fuckin 4 headed dragon shoots those white blob things... lol damn... still its so fun. I guess I just didn't understand with demon souls got that game and 4 hours later losing my souls over and over it made me mad as fuck.. lol I think I just got the game before I appreciated difficulty in games.. its no biggy to loose your souls... in demon souls with no info going in it just felt like I was wasting my time because it didn't feel like I was progressing... was there bonfires in Demon Souls.... I'm stuck at the dragon on the bridge not sure I can kill him yet lol I played about 5 hours just now love going to the bonfire and back the the bridge for 550 souls each time lol 1000s a minute. :p

If you are referring to the big red dragon, there is an area on the right side of the bridge you can run to with a staircase that takes you to a passage underneath the bridge. I don't think you are meant to fight him this early. Just take off all your armor and book it.

Top Bottom