• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Is there a reason to have poise over 76?

Currently rocking Havel's Armor with like 120 poise, but it feels pointless. I'm not big on its aesthetics or the constant clinking sound it makes when I move, so I'm looking to rock something a bit lighter. I figure I can find an aesthetically pleasing armor combo that hits at least 76 poise and not lose out on much, right?

On that note, what are some interesting armor combos? I haven't upgraded a single set of armor yet. Any thoughts on some good medium-weight armor for a pure melee character? I like mixing in both blocking and dodging.

Booshka

Is there a reason to have poise over 76?

Currently rocking Havel's Armor with like 120 poise, but it feels pointless. I'm not big on its aesthetics or the constant clinking sound it makes when I move, so I'm looking to rock something a bit lighter. I figure I can find an aesthetically pleasing armor combo that hits at least 76 poise and not lose out on much, right?

On that note, what are some interesting armor combos? I haven't upgraded a single set of armor yet. Any thoughts on some good medium-weight armor for a pure melee character? I like mixing in both blocking and dodging.

You don't need to go above 76 unless you want to tank like a motherfucker. But 76 will let you get hit by the strongest attacks once and not get stunned, so it's more than plenty. It's best to mix light armor (with no poise) and medium or heavy armor, also you can use the Wolf Ring for 40 Poise. It's tough to get 76 poise with just armor, unless you want real heavy shit. Easier to use lighter gear and put on the Wolf ring. 76 poise is a little overdoing it, 53 is good enough for the vast majority of situations, and it allows you to get more creative with armors.

Try using a light armor coat/robe, then supplement with medium to heavy gauntlets or leggings for poise. Wanderer coat is great and looks good with almost everything. Try Wanderer Coat and Giant Leggings and Gauntlets, then maybe a medium helm. Stuff like that. Or just wear all light armor and put on poise ring, you should be able to fast roll.

MrOogieBoogie

You don't need to go above 76 unless you want to tank like a motherfucker. But 76 will let you get hit by the strongest attacks once and not get stunned, so it's more than plenty. It's best to mix light armor (with no poise) and medium or heavy armor, also you can use the Wolf Ring for 40 Poise. It's tough to get 76 poise with just armor, unless you want real heavy shit. Easier to use lighter gear and put on the Wolf ring. 76 poise is a little overdoing it, 53 is good enough for the vast majority of situations, and it allows you to get more creative with armors.

Try using a light armor coat/robe, then supplement with medium to heavy gauntlets or leggings for poise. Wanderer coat is great and looks good with almost everything. Try Wanderer Coat and Giant Leggings and Gauntlets, then maybe a medium helm. Stuff like that. Or just wear all light armor and put on poise ring, you should be able to fast roll.

Ah, great advice. Thanks!

Here's my current character (after 23 hours of play):

jbiayG4330Vuyd.jpg

Name: Stilgar (Warrior)

Level: 63

Vitality: 23
Attunement: 8
Endurance: 40
Strength: 27
Dexterity: 18
Resistance: 11
Intelligence: 9
Faith: 9

Man-serpent Greatsword +14
Hollow Soldier Shield +5

Was going for a Satan/Pan look with the armor, while making sure that my poise is at least 53.

Goat_of_Mendes.jpg

Just dispatched of
Sif
without much trouble (granted he's kind of a pushover).

feel

Just finished the Prepare to Die quest and it was absolutely fantastic IMO. Beautiful locations, nice challenge and great bosses. (Prepare to Die quest spoiler)
Saving Sif (sword wielding wolf) in that secret cave (thanks guy who put down the hint!) and then seeing him jump in during the final boss fight to help you out was SOOO GOOOOD. Astoria fight was badass too. Now I only need to beat the damn (already grounded) dragon before leaving the place and heading through the firelink altar door to what I assume is the last section of the main quest.

ParityBit

Keep going, he's not important. In the future, avoid killing people or creatures that are not hostile.

That sword requires 14 Str and 14 Dex. When selecting weapons press the 'X' button on the 360 controller to see the weapon details, including stat requirements.

So I used my souls (not sure if thats good or bad) to get my Str/Dex to 14 and 14 for this weapons. Seems nice, but I am wondering if I should work on upgrading it (I just got an upgrade stone and assuming I can find where to do that) or should I save the stone for other gear?

I am still running around the same area.

Sentenza

I keep hearing around that this PC port had a supposed budget of merely 15,000 dollars.
Any source for that?
I find it a bit hard to believe, even considering how bare-bone it is. That would be roughly a single person working on it for 3-4 months.

So I used my souls (not sure if thats good or bad) to get my Str/Dex to 14 and 14 for this weapons. Seems nice, but I am wondering if I should work on upgrading it (I just got an upgrade stone and assuming I can find where to do that) or should I save the stone for other gear?

I am still running around the same area.
You'll get lots of titanite shards and can buy them too, so upgrade the sword if you like it's moveset, you can upgrade another later if you want to switch.

Upgrade weapons at a blacksmith or buy a upgrade weapon box to do it at a bonfire.

http://darksouls.wikidot.com/upgrade

Facism

Hallo. I had this on Ps3, managed all the way to NG+++, and now i have the pc version. As someone who was magically inclined, i used spell-based characters in my playthroughs.

On pc, i'm looking at primarily melee-based, but with some buff abilities. I'm not a big fan of miracles, so wondering if going magic for magic weapon etc is a good idea. I've forgotten so much :eek: Currently running around the depths with a lvl 20 character, holding a Bastard Sword +5 and +5 knight armour atm.

Ok so i bought the dlc and i cant pass the first boss. Im a level 89 pyro and nothing seems to work on him. Anyone have any tips??? Sorry for the noob-ness

Forkball

That would be roughly a single person working on it for 3-4 months.
So Durante?

I really hope Dark Souls II's PC version is up to snuff. I mean, they had to be pleased about the sales, considering they announced it for PC along with the other consoles. Sadly I bet FROM has no idea about the problems plaguing the PC issue.

So I want a great experience with this game.

I'm not afraid of difficulty, but I also would like to avoid unnecessary pitfalls.

For a great first time experience with Dark Souls, would you guys suggest that I DON'T use a FAQ? Or do you guys think using a FAQ wouldn't diminish the experience for me?

Thanks.

Akito

Ok so i bought the dlc and i cant pass the first boss. Im a level 89 pyro and nothing seems to work on him. Anyone have any tips??? Sorry for the noob-ness
Wait what, he's like super weak to fire. Unless you aren't talking about the chimera.

I'm not afraid of difficulty, but I also would like to avoid unnecessary pitfalls.

For a great first time experience with Dark Souls, would you guys suggest that I DON'T use a FAQ? Or do you guys think using a FAQ wouldn't diminish the experience for me?

Thanks.
Definitely without a FAQ for the first play through. Just ask for advice if you happen to get stuck somewhere.

Just finished the Prepare to Die quest and it was absolutely fantastic IMO. Beautiful locations, nice challenge and great bosses. (Prepare to Die quest spoiler)
Saving Sif (sword wielding wolf) in that secret cave (thanks guy who put down the hint!) and then seeing him jump in during the final boss fight to help you out was SOOO GOOOOD. Astoria fight was badass too. Now I only need to beat the damn (already grounded) dragon before leaving the place and heading through the firelink altar door to what I assume is the last section of the main quest.

WTF i never knew he did that! also for the boss you have left over, just carry a 75+ stability shield and have at least medium roll. i fought that fight 15 times because i really wanted the tail but he only shows it a very specific and random times, and the tail takes like 30% of his hp to take off. it's a real B!

JRW

I bought this game yesterday via Amazon deal and It keeps crashing right after I create a new character.. It just goes to a black screen and sits there with a mouse pointer, have to alt-tab out and close the program.

Ive tried verifying game cache in steam, installed dsfix, changed resolutions in game, tried windowed & fullscreen modes, disabled AA in game, installed latest nvidia drivers, restore nvidia driver settings to default, removed dsfix, reboot..

I'm usually pretty good at troubleshooting but I'm at a loss here, I have over 140 games in Steam and never had any problems like this.

i7 920 @ 3.6ghz / 12GB / GTX 480 / Win 7 64

zon

Glad to hear you're picking it up quickly and actually learning from your deaths like you are supposed to. And yea, the Black Knight Sword is real OP for most of the game, but hey you earned it, so use it if you want. Don't let it keep you from trying out and upgrading a lot of other weapons though.

I also picked up the Black Knight Sword early on, and let me tell you, it'll be your best friend for the next 15-20 hours. Trust me. No other weapon compares early on (unless you're lucky enough to get another Black Knight weapon).

How do I get the Black Knight Sword? I've killed three black knights already and I haven't gotten a weapon from either of them.

feel

WTF i never knew he did that! also for the boss you have left over, just carry a 75+ stability shield and have at least medium roll. i fought that fight 15 times because i really wanted the tail but he only shows it a very specific and random times, and the tail takes like 30% of his hp to take off. it's a real B!
"I did it!"

With the help of a guy I summoned, managed to get the tail too. Then I immediately put down a sign and helped another guy kill it.

From there all I had to do was head back and finish the main game, and boy was that final fight tough! After a million tedious trips from the bonfire to the boss that took longer than each fight even if I was running past the enemies, someone put down a great hint near the fogwall on how beat it
(parrying!)
and now I'm watching the credits roll.

Feeling a bit bummed out now because I'm done, this game was a fantastic experience that won't soon leave my memory.

All BK weapons are a random drop from whoever is holding them. Either the weapon or a titanite chunk.
No, No. The Titanite Chunk has it's own drop rate. I have gotten both a Chunk drop and a weapon drop with high discovery rates on Black Knights before. It is less common, but it CAN happen.

For reference the only time there are guaranteed drops on Chunks is in
The Kiln of the First Flame. Each Black Knight doing there own types of drops of the four available colors of Chunks

Blighttown can suck my dick! FUCK this area!

I'm level 45, shouldn't I be breezing through this area? The boss is testing my patience - done for the night. I'll try tomorrow again.

ParityBit

Any advice when fighting a black night? The first one with the sword and shield kills me really quick! I am level 8 and I have the a katana and a dragon shield.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Any advice when fighting a black night? The first one with the sword and shield kills me really quick! I am level 8 and I have the a katana and a dragon shield.
Keep space between him so he doesn't shield bash you. Look for openings to parry or backstab.

Just be patient with them. Study their attacks, and don't slash at them until you are sure you have an opening. Also, be sure you have cleared the area before facing him.

Red Liquorice said:
You can also summon up to two NPC white (friendly) phantoms for this boss fight if you are having trouble - there are a couple of conditions in summoning them, at least one of which you should've done already.

Thanks, this is what I ended up doing. I wanted to try to fight them on my own, but once that second one joins in everything goes to hell. I am pretty good at one-on-one battles now (despite my inability to parry correctly), but I can run into trouble with groups.

I have been wandering around Darkroot Garden/Basin. Killed that
guy with the club in the tower
, and got an awesome ring (now I can wear my pig hat!). Also killed the
Hydra. That last head was ridiculously hard to hit without falling in the drop off area. I had to switch to the Halberd to reach it.
. Got killed by a
giant sparkly butterfly
and a
GIANT GODDAMN WOLF WITH A SWORD
. This game is crazy. I don't think I am supposed to fight either of those yet.

Now there is
what looks to be another Golem
at the end of the lake. I tried to lure it to land since there is no way I can fight it in the water, but it didn't work. Is there something I will get that will enable me to move in the water? I was having the same problem when I was trying to explore the lower areas of Blighttown.

Onemic

Thanks.

Use a faq if you get really frustrated. I did,(stupid capra demon boss) but now I don't.

feel

Blighttown can suck my dick! FUCK this area!

I'm level 45, shouldn't I be breezing through this area? The boss is testing my patience - done for the night. I'll try tomorrow again.
One of the most miserable places in a game ever and yet I still loved every second I spent on it. Dark Souls...

"Weakness: Fleeing"

The first one in the Burg has his back to you, so if you walk at the slowest walking speed you can get a free backstab on him. You don't have to be right next to him, about a player width away will do it, as when you get right on top of him he will turn around. This works for any backstabbable enemy with their back to you (Balder Knights in the Parish for example). The heavier your armour the more noise it makes too.

After that run back up the steps to where the tower with the crossbow hollow was and use the ledge there to do a plunging attack off it as the knight walks up the steps. You can also parry/repost of course, but this is less risk especially here right at the start when a two hit attack from him means you're toasting marshmallows at the bonfire again!

Thanks.
As many have said, don't, it really is not necessary and it's amazing how much stuff will change in your next playthrough

At most, look up how to play online, they don't explain it very well.

I have been wandering around Darkroot Garden/Basin. Killed that
guy with the club in the tower
, and got an awesome ring (now I can wear my pig hat!). Also killed the
Hydra. That last head was ridiculously hard to hit without falling in the drop off area. I had to switch to the Halberd to reach it.
. Got killed by a
giant sparkly butterfly
and a
GIANT GODDAMN WOLF WITH A SWORD
. This game is crazy. I don't think I am supposed to fight either of those yet.

Now there is
what looks to be another Golem
at the end of the lake. I tried to lure it to land since there is no way I can fight it in the water, but it didn't work. Is there something I will get that will enable me to move in the water? I was having the same problem when I was trying to explore the lower areas of Blighttown.
Funny thing, I did focus on beating that second Blas when I got there, way too early (before the Second Bell), and as painful as it was, I never had a problem with a boss again, as I had to learn the hard way.

Also, you actually fight that in the water. Just walk in the border.

ParityBit

The first one in the Burg has his back to you, so if you walk at the slowest walking speed you can get a free backstab on him. You don't have to be right next to him, about a player width away will do it, as when you get right on top of him he will turn around. This works for any backstabbable enemy with their back to you (Balder Knights in the Parish for example). The heavier your armour the more noise it makes too.

After that run back up the steps to where the tower with the crossbow hollow was and use the ledge there to do a plunging attack off it as the knight walks up the steps. You can also parry/repost of course, but this is less risk especially here right at the start when a two hit attack from him means you're toasting marshmallows at the bonfire again!

Parry, parry parry.

Keep space between him so he doesn't shield bash you. Look for openings to parry or backstab.

Just be patient with them. Study their attacks, and don't slash at them until you are sure you have an opening. Also, be sure you have cleared the area before facing him..

Thanks guys! I will try this and see how it goes!

ParityBit

I have another dumb question .....

I am a pyro and I have an issue casting my spell. More often then not I fire it into a wall, or even the floor in front of the monster I am trying to shoot it at. Without a targeting reticle (that I know about) how do I know where the hell it's going to hit?

I have another dumb question .....

I am a pyro and I have an issue casting my spell. More often then not I fire it into a wall, or even the floor in front of the monster I am trying to shoot it at. Without a targeting reticle (that I know about) how do I know where the hell it's going to hit?

Click the left stick to lock on. I had the same problem.

The Anti-Monitor said:
Funny thing, I did focus on beating that second Blas when I got there, way too early (before the Second Bell), and as painful as it was, I never had a problem with a boss again, as I had to learn the hard way.

Also, you actually fight that in the water. Just walk in the border.

The
wolf?
I may try him again. I am still before the second bell. Just now fought the
Capra Demon and that lake golem
. He was a pain, but I mostly just shot at him with arrows :p. Fighting things in water sucks.
The lady that popped out of him needs to be more specific about where to find her summon sign

Seanspeed

Banned
I think I'm really starting to 'get' this game now. I only just defeated that one black armored (mini?)boss in the Undead Parish(not the Black Knight), but just getting to there was really awesome. I love dueling with those baulder knights. The way they hold certain stances, attack and block unpredictably and with different weapons and shields - makes every single encounter feel unique, exciting and dangerous.

The combat is really starting to make more sense and I'm slowly weaning off my reliance on block/attack/block/attack and understanding that even something like the proximity of the walls can determine which weapon is most effective and everything. I'm starting to see the depth involved.

As far as the difficulty goes - I'm also understanding the 'hard, but fair' thing thats repeated so much. It reminds me a bit of like how Trials HD/Evo will throw some really tough tracks to get through, but you slowly work your way forward through em, learning your mistakes along the way and improving slowly but surely to the point where, you're gonna feel much more comfortable getting through an area and a *little* more prepared for the next challenge that awaits.

This is slowly turning into one of my favorite games.

The
wolf?
I may try him again. I am still before the second bell. Just now fought the
Capra Demon and that lake golem
. He was a pain, but I mostly just shot at him with arrows :p. Fighting things in water sucks.
The lady that popped out of him needs to be more specific about where to find her summon sign
You can
find her near the rocks where you fought the Hydra

And yeah, that boss. It was a pain, but once I beat him, no other boss in the game was much of a problem, as I was now a relatively good player. However, the
fucking cats from the same area were even worse.

Wow! I never knew. I will have to try that when I get home from work.

Another question. Is it better to hold your shield out when fighting, or should you relax it back and tap the Left bumper to block at the time they swing at you?

Relax the shield to get more stamina, only block when the enemy attacks.

This is slowly turning into one of my favorite games.
The point where the game goes from "hard as fuck challenging game" to "holy shit this game is awesome" is incredible.

Wow! I never knew. I will have to try that when I get home from work.

Another question. Is it better to hold your shield out when fighting, or should you relax it back and tap the Left bumper to block at the time they swing at you?

I always have my shield up during battles...just to be safe. Get a 100% damage reduction shield as soon as you can (if you don't already have one). If you have the Master Key you can get a good shield (and sword) in the Valley of the Drakes, but you will die immediately after picking it up. The Hollow Soldier shield is also good, and the Black Knight shield is pretty great if you are lucky enough to get one.

On that note, is the Black Knight shield good to upgrade? It uses the Twinkling Titanite, so I don't want to waste it if I can access better shields.

The Anti-Monitor said:
You can find her near the rocks where you fought the Hydra

And yeah, that boss. It was a pain, but once I beat him, no other boss in the game was much of a problem, as I was now a relatively good player. However, the fucking cats from the same area were even worse.

Thanks, I'll head back there.

Oh, that must be what rolled into me. I took off running after I got hit, so I never got a good look at them. I did talk to a
cat that asked me to join her covenant, but I declined since I was already a member of the miracle tutor's covenant :/

On the "hard, but fair" note, I really love how the game gives you so many different options on how to approach the bosses. It really lets you find what play styles work for you.

Akito

On that note, is the Black Knight shield good to upgrade? It uses the Twinkling Titanite, so I don't want to waste it if I can access better shields.
One of the best shields in the game. I'd prioritize upgrading weapons over shields but since you can buy twinkling titanites halfway through the game, you can do nothing wrong, really.

About as good as it gets against fire, and pretty good overall. Don't know if it's the overall best, though.

Thanks, I'll head back there.

Oh, that must be what rolled into me. I took off running after I got hit, so I never got a good look at them. I did talk to a
cat that asked me to join her covenant, but I declined since I was already a member of the miracle tutor's covenant :/

On the "hard, but fair" note, I really love how the game gives you so many different options on how to approach the bosses. It really lets you find what play styles work for you.

And yeah, that was. Those motherfuckers gave me my worst night in Dark Souls. But again, forced me to toughen up.

Also, regarding that spoiler:
That Covenant is one of the most popular by far, but it's only for PvP. It does give you the ability to buy some cool shit.

ParityBit

OK, so I am sitting at work and I decided I am going to start over. I am not far along, but I killed the undead merchant. Granted, I got a cool sword from him and the residence key .... but I think that may have stunted my growth a little.

Seanspeed

Banned
If the enemy attacks very quickly and suddenly, I've found its worth keeping your shield up, but only if your stamina is full. For slower enemies, I can usually anticipate a strike and put it up in time. Managing your stamina is key. For instance, dont strike an enemy a bunch of times and deplete your bar if its not going to finish them off. Its good to have a little bit of stamina left usually to be able to block any counter they throw at you when you're still close.

SJRB

Gold Member
OK, so I am sitting at work and I decided I am going to start over. I am not far along, but I killed the undead merchant. Granted, I got a cool sword from him and the residence key .... but I think that may have stunted my growth a little.

Don't worry about it, he's pretty much irrelevant.

So I killed Quelaag, and was trying to kill this giant monster on a lava cave. Don't think I can defeat him yet. After taking a look at the strategy guide it tells me I should visit the great hollow, but it can only be accessed to secret passageways. How were people supposed to figure out this on their own?

You would basically have to backtrack all the way to the Undead Burg to get out of Blightown - is this correct?

ParityBit

Don't worry about it, he's pretty much irrelevant.

You don't think it would be worth it just for the upgrades he sells? Armor/shields/kits? The sword is nice though. Although I got a battle axe drop that was just as nice (maybe a little better?)

So I killed Quelaag, and was trying to kill this giant monster on a lava cave. Don't think I can defeat him yet. After taking a look at the strategy guide it tells me I should visit the great hollow, but it can only be accessed to secret passageways. How were people supposed to figure out this on their own?

You would basically have to backtrack all the way to the Undead Burg to get out of Blightown - is this correct?

1st.
You can in fact defeat Ceaseless Discharge now, all it takes is knowing how. He can in fact be easier than everyone but Pinwheel.

2nd.
If you explore everything, you usually have people write it in a message. The Great Hollow is supposed to be kind of a secret thing, yeah.

3rd.
From Blighttown you can go up to get to Valley of Drakes, which leads to Firelink Shrine.

SJRB

Gold Member
You don't think it would be worth it just for the upgrades he sells? Armor/shields/kits? The sword is nice though. Although I got a battle axe drop that was just as nice (maybe a little better?)

Purchasing armor or pretty much anything else from the Undead Merchant is a waste of souls. The only useful item he sells are arrows, but you'll get to another vendor soon enough.

You will get better gear through random loot drops for free. So it is not worth restarting your game just because you killed the merchant. In fact, his Uchigatana is the best item he has and like you already discovered the only way to get it is to kill him.

ParityBit

Purchasing armor or pretty much anything else from the Undead Merchant is a waste of souls. The only useful item he sells are arrows, but you'll get to another vendor soon enough.

You will get better gear through random loot drops for free. So it is not worth restarting your game just because you killed the merchant. In fact, his Uchigatana is the best item he has and like you already discovered the only way to get it is to kill him.

But I will not be able to get the Drake Sword right? Is that worth doing it for? Or should I just screw it and continue on?

But I will not be able to get the Drake Sword right? Is that worth doing it for? Or should I just screw it and continue on?
Uh? You get that by
shooting the tail of the dragon off. I don't know how long you take to meet another merchant who sells arrows though.

And it's not advised to use that weapon as a beginner anyways, because it's too overpowered for the beginning of the game but too weak for the late game and if you use it chances are you won't upgrade other weapons.

MrOogieBoogie

Man, the
Duke's Archives
in Anor Londo is beautiful! Great, sprawling architecture, and lovely music. Love all the enemies and emphasis on melee combat as well.

After defeating
Four Kings
, here's my list of most difficult bosses thus far (from hardest to easiest):

Ornstein & Smough
Capra Demon
Bell Gargoyle
Great Grey Wolf Sif
Four Kings
Chaos Witch Queelag
Taurus Demon
Iron Golem
Gaping Dragon
Asylum Demon
Moonlight Butterfly

All the bosses I've faced thus far (after 25 hours).

Gonna battle
Seath the Scaleless next

Bulk_Rate

So i convinced three friends to pick this up on PC and/or 360. I myself grabbed the PC version on Amazon (have beaten 360 and PS3 versions 3x already).

Anyhow, I am noticing a lot of invaders in the Burg and Parish, more than I remember on my last PS3 playthrough. I think I have set my friends up for a rude introduction to the world of DS for sure.

ParityBit

So i convinced three friends to pick this up on PC and/or 360. I myself grabbed the PC version on Amazon (have beaten 360 and PS3 versions 3x already).

Anyhow, I am noticing a lot of invaders in the Burg and Parish, more than I remember on my last PS3 playthrough. I think I have set my friends up for a rude introduction to the world of DS for sure.

I am staying undead for this reason. The whole PvP thing concerns me, especially being new to all this.

Hell .... I listened to a stupid note from someone saying I should kill the undead merchant ...

Top Bottom