• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

zkylon

zkylewd
Man, the
Duke's Archives
in Anor Londo is beautiful! Great, sprawling architecture, and lovely music. Love all the enemies and emphasis on melee combat as well.

After defeating
Four Kings
, here's my list of most difficult bosses thus far (from hardest to easiest):

Ornstein & Smough
Capra Demon
Bell Gargoyle
Great Grey Wolf Sif
Four Kings
Chaos Witch Queelag
Taurus Demon
Iron Golem
Gaping Dragon
Asylum Demon
Moonlight Butterfly

All the bosses I've faced thus far (after 25 hours).

Gonna battle
Seath the Scaleless next
I would put 4Ks so much higher, specially in NG+.

SJRB

Gold Member
Uh? You get that by
shooting the tail of the dragon off. I don't know how long you take to meet another merchant who sells arrows though.

And it's not advised to use that weapon as a beginner anyways, because it's too overpowered for the beginning of the game but too weak for the late game and if you use it chances are you won't upgrade other weapons.

The Drake Sword significantly balances the difficulty curve early on. Especially for first-time players I'd always recommend getting it, if only to get more comfortable with the game and its mechanics without having the constant fear of dying. It's a huge confidence booster.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I would put 4Ks so much higher, specially in NG+.

I thought I would too after dying like three or four times to them, each time thinking, "How the fuck am I supposed to do this, melee only?"

Then my last attempt I said, "Screw it," and bum-rushed the first boss, and two-handed him to death as quickly as possible. Did the same for the next one. And the next one, etc. Strategy worked out great: getting as close as possible and killing each boss before the next one showed up. Once I employed that tactic I finished the fight fairly quickly.

mxgt

Banned
I am staying undead for this reason. The whole PvP thing concerns me, especially being new to all this.

Hell .... I listened to a stupid note from someone saying I should kill the undead merchant ...

Well he doesn't sell anything that can't be gotten elsewhere and drops the Uchigatana which is a kick ass weapon, especially at the start of the game.

zkylon

zkylewd
I thought I would too after dying like three or four times to them, each time thinking, "How the fuck am I supposed to do this, melee only?"

Then my last attempt I said, "Screw it," and bum-rushed the first boss, and two-handed him to death as quickly as possible. Did the same for the next one. And the next one, etc. Strategy worked out great: getting as close as possible and killing each boss before the next one showed up. Once I employed that tactic I finished the fight fairly quickly.
I find that it's not that important to "HURRY THE FUCK UP" as it is to be constantly dishing out damage. Two handing is essential but other than that, I didn't have to coat my sword or use Power Within, just dodge the easy attacks, block their magic and be lucky you don't get grabbed.

1st.
You can in fact defeat Ceaseless Discharge now, all it takes is knowing how. He can in fact be easier than everyone but Pinwheel.

2nd.
If you explore everything, you usually have people write it in a message. The Great Hollow is supposed to be kind of a secret thing, yeah.

3rd.
From Blighttown you can go up to get to Valley of Drakes, which leads to Firelink Shrine.

Thanks Anti. Ended up going down to
The Great Hollow
, and ended up being cursed. Now my health is cut in half. This game just keeps up ramping the punishment. Someone please tell me there is a stone to get rid of the curse in this area. FML

SJRB

Gold Member
THANKS ANTI

Haha sorry, not laughing at your misfortune, the "thanks anti" at the start of your post seemed like a proper thanks until you mentioned the advice got you cursed.

blackflag

I dun goofed Neogaf. Despite beating Demon's Souls 3 times and loving the shit out of Dark Souls....I took a break from it several months ago because of time issues. Well, apparently I quit literally right before Gwynn. Now I don't have the skills to beat him and he just pummels me. Need to practice parrying I guess.

Anyways, I bought the dlc so I guess I can go practice there.

Here is my build. How bad did I screw up?
I wonder if I should maybe use a weapon that is slower and that hits harder?
What are good rings now? I heard they nerfed the ones I'm using?
What about armor?

I think I have most rings and armor in the game, just not sure what to equip anymore.

Lvl 88
Vit - 23
Att - 11
End - 27
Str - 20
Dex - 38
Res - 12
Int - 20
Faith - 20

Using:
Fire Uchigatana + 10.
Grass Shield + 6
Gold Hemmed hood, chest, arms
Crimson Waistcloth + 4

Ring of Favor and Protection
Dark Wood Grain Ring

Thanks GAF

Dresden

I dun goofed Neogaf. Despite beating Demon's Souls 3 times and loving the shit out of Dark Souls....I took a break from it several months ago because of time issues. Well, apparently I quit literally right before Gwynn. Now I don't have the skills to beat him and he just pummels me. Need to practice parrying I guess.

Anyways, I bought the dlc so I guess I can go practice there.

Here is my build. How bad did I screw up?
I wonder if I should maybe use a weapon that is slower and that hits harder?
What are good rings now? I heard they nerfed the ones I'm using?
What about armor?

I think I have most rings and armor in the game, just not sure what to equip anymore.

Lvl 88
Vit - 23
Att - 11
End - 27
Str - 20
Dex - 38
Res - 12
Int - 20
Faith - 20

Using:
Fire Uchigatana + 10.
Grass Shield + 6
Gold Hemmed hood, chest, arms
Crimson Waistcloth + 4

Ring of Favor and Protection
Dark Wood Grain Ring

Thanks GAF

Uchi is a good weapon, but elemental weapons are poop in the DLC content. With the high dex, you're kinda forced to use fast dex weapons, but a Murakumo is definitely usable if you bump up your strength a bit more, and it's a damn good blade. The DWGR got nerfed a bit, but it's still good if you can stay under >25% weight burden. The FaP ring is still one of the three or so best rings in the game.

I suggest capping out your Dex to 40, then either bumping up str a bit to one-hand the Murakumo, or just sticking with a smaller weapon while bumping up endurance. Find a sword you like and upgrade it to regular +15.

As for Gwyn, just practice parrying on the black knights in the way. If you can reliably parry them, you can parry Gwyn with ease--the timing is even more forgiving on the boss. But you need to take care of the DLC content first, though.

The Great Hollow
, and ended up being cursed. Now my health is cut in half. This game just keeps up ramping the punishment. Someone please tell me there is a stone to get rid of the curse in this area. FML

The guy on the way down after the Bell Gargoyle fight sells stuff that gets rid of curses.

The Anti-Monitor said:
And yeah, that was. Those motherfuckers gave me my worst night in Dark Souls. But again, forced me to toughen up.

Also, regarding that spoiler:
That Covenant is one of the most popular by far, but it's only for PvP. It does give you the ability to buy some cool shit.

Unfortunately I cannot do any of the online stuff since I can't seem to sign in to GFWL. It keeps saying my password is invalid, and I have tried resetting it numerous times, but it still says it is invalid. I just gave up after awhile.

Akito said:
One of the best shields in the game. I'd prioritize upgrading weapons over shields but since you can buy twinkling titanites halfway through the game, you can do nothing wrong, really.

Ah, I didn't know you would be able to buy them. I thought they just came from the lizards.

Is there going to be a way to sell stuff? I have so many repeats of armor and weapons.

blackflag

Uchi is a good weapon, but elemental weapons are poop in the DLC content. With the high dex, you're kinda forced to use fast dex weapons, but a Murakumo is definitely usable if you bump up your strength a bit more, and it's a damn good blade. The DWGR got nerfed a bit, but it's still good if you can stay under >25% weight burden. The FaP ring is still one of the three or so best rings in the game.

I suggest capping out your Dex to 40, then either bumping up str a bit to one-hand the Murakumo, or just sticking with a smaller weapon while bumping up endurance. Find a sword you like and upgrade it to regular +15.

As for Gwyn, just practice parrying on the black knights in the way. If you can reliably parry them, you can parry Gwyn with ease--the timing is even more forgiving on the boss. But you need to take care of the DLC content first, though.

Cool that's a lot of help. I have a Murakamo so I'll work on that and get my str up a bit. Are the knights before Gwynn the best thing to grind on?

The guy on the way down after the Bell Gargoyle fight sells stuff that gets rid of curses.

Unfortunately I cannot do any of the online stuff since I can't seem to sign in to GFWL. It keeps saying my password is invalid, and I have tried resetting it numerous times, but it still says it is invalid. I just gave up after awhile.

Ah, I didn't know you would be able to buy them. I thought they just came from the lizards.

Is there going to be a way to sell stuff? I have so many repeats of armor and weapons.

What's the easiest way to get back there?

ijed

The Great Hollow
The clams at the bottom drop them but until you've got the lordvessel i wouldnt recommend going down there

I don't know, I haven't been to where you are yet. Whatever way you can, get to Firelink Shrine and go up the elevator to the Undead Parish.

There is an armor set that I just picked up that seems to have pretty good curse resistance.
After killing the Hydra and golden crystal golem in Darkroot Basin I found the Antiquated Set over by where the golem was.
The Crimson Set found in Blighttown seems okay for curse resistance as well. I haven't ran into anything that curses yet, so I cannot attest to how well they actually do work, but numbers-wise they seem good.

SJRB

Gold Member

There is no easy way back to Osward of Carim. The fastest way at this point is
Blighttown - Valley of Drakes - New Londo Ruins - Firelink Shrine - Undead Parish and back up the church tower.

Remember that Blighttown has two exits - one into the Valley of Drakes and one into the Depths. You need the gate key you find in Blighttown in order to enter/exit through the Valley of Drakes. It makes backtraveling significantly easier since you can skip the Depths entirely

The Great Hollow

Hey it's not my fault, you should've known that already.

matmanx1

Picked this up from Amazon on Christmas day for $14.99 for the PC download. It's been many months since I played my PS3 copy and it's long since been sold so I had been looking for a cheap PC copy so that I could reroll and experience the DLC.

With DSFix Dark Souls at 1920x1080 and some AA looks freakin incredible. It was a good looking game already on the PS3 but with a stable framerate and a much, much higher resolution the difference is huge. I am loving this!

Rolled a Pyromancer this time as I find the fire spells to be entertaining and effective. Fireball certainly made the Asylum Boss far easier this time around and I'm currently collecting some souls in the Undead Burg before I press on towards the Big Guy on Top of the Wall. He scares me.

Picked this up from Amazon on Christmas day for $14.99 for the PC download. It's been many months since I played my PS3 copy and it's long since been sold so I had been looking for a cheap PC copy so that I could reroll and experience the DLC.

With DSFix Dark Souls at 1920x1080 and some AA looks freakin incredible. It was a good looking game already on the PS3 but with a stable framerate and a much, much higher resolution the difference is huge. I am loving this!

Rolled a Pyromancer this time as I find the fire spells to be entertaining and effective. Fireball certainly made the Asylum Boss far easier this time around and I'm currently collecting some souls in the Undead Burg before I press on towards the Big Guy on Top of the Wall. He scares me.
With hour fire spells and some gold pine resin which you can find close by, hes not to bad :)

Hey it's not my fault, you should've known that already.

Just giving you a hard time. ;)

Well, I think I just fell in love with this game. As I mentioned in my previous post, I got cursed and couldn't make any progress whatsoever. I tried the suggested route through the entrance to
The Valley of Drakes from Blightown
, but with the dart-throwing enemies and my half health, this was impossible. Going down through
The Great Hollow
was supposed to be even harder. And to make matters worse it was a long way to backtrack the way I came in. Not to mention that area wasn't a walk in the park either.

So I stopped playing in frustration for a few hours, and then made my mind that I was going to attempt to go back through Blightown and The Depths. I have never felt so scared in a freaking video game. I was breathing fast and my hands were sweating. It hit me. This was my character, and in a sense me trying to escape from the depths of hell.

Going back was even harder than I imagined, as the places to fight the enemies especially those fat Ogres was smaller than before. Slowly I reached one bonfire at a time, until finally I emerged through the passage way that goes to the Firelink Shine. The merchant there just happen to have the stone to get rid of the curse.

I ended up paying 6000 souls, but at that point I didn't care that I could get it cheaper elsewhere. And then I saw it, the glorious radiant sun. The amount of satisfaction and relief was overwhelming. Praise the Sun!

I ended up paying 6000 souls, but at that point I didn't care that I could get it cheaper elsewhere. And then I saw it, the glorious radiant sun. The amount of satisfaction and relief was overwhelming. Praise the Sun!

If only we all could be so grossly incandescent.

Sounds like a hell of a time. I am glad I bought some of those curse things already. I pick up anything I run across that seems like it could be potentially helpful down the line. Anyway, try to obtain either of the armor sets I mentioned above before you go back, and see if that helps.

Also, the dart enemies in Blighttown appear to stay dead, so kill as many as you can.

2AdEPT

Helppp! Someone hacked my GFWL and/or steam copy of Dark souls and now I just fall through the floor with ANY character I load and it does not help to reload earlier saves....the faces of my characters have turned green and this happens no matter how far back I go with my Game save manager program. I tried starting a new character and after I generate a new one (albeit with weird colours) I fall through the floor again. This really sucks! Can anyone lend any advice? has this happened to anyone else?

zon

I ran into the
butterfly
with no magic and a shortbow. I don't think I was supposed to go there as a pure melee character. I was at 10% life when I could activate a homeward bone otherwise I would've lost 5 humanity and 36k souls (quite a lot for a lvl 28 character, I think).

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Finally beat
Knight Artorias
. Really had to pound away at him and probably made it much harder on myself than the fight really is. So far the added content is really pretty amazing, and I'm liking the bosses it offers.

Just beat
Pinwheel
in the Catacombs. He was surprisingly pretty easy. Now I am pretty darn good at fighting skeletons. Those wheel ones are scary though.

I am still confused about Covenants. Is there a way to join all of them throughout the course of the game, or at least the ones where you can buy or receive stuff? Also, I read that breaking a covenant leads to bad things, but I just joined the Gravelord one, even though I was already a member of the miracle trainer's, and nothing happened. I am still able to buy stuff from him.

Soulhouf

Helppp! Someone hacked my GFWL and/or steam copy of Dark souls and now I just fall through the floor with ANY character I load and it does not help to reload earlier saves....the faces of my characters have turned green and this happens no matter how far back I go with my Game save manager program. I tried starting a new character and after I generate a new one (albeit with weird colours) I fall through the floor again. This really sucks! Can anyone lend any advice? has this happened to anyone else?

Uninstall then reinstall the game?
Seriously WTF, that sucks and that's why I don't play the PC version (I own it). I read too many horror stories about this version...

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Probably a dumb question, but sometimes there's like a cone of light that comes in on the side of my head, like I'm sucking in something. What does this signify?

feel

Probably a dumb question, but sometimes there's like a cone of light that comes in on the side of my head, like I'm sucking in something. What does this signify?
Another player just kindled a bonfire near you, you get an extra Estus flask out of it.

Dresden

Which boss is that? I ran into the
butterfly
before, is that the one or is it someone else?

Nah, the boss right after (butterfly is a bit off to the side)
is in the lower Undead Burg, the door to which is unlocked by the key received after killing the gargoyles. Killing that boss gives you a key to the next area, which has the trainer in it.

I am still confused about Covenants. Is there a way to join all of them throughout the course of the game, or at least the ones where you can buy or receive stuff? Also, I read that breaking a covenant leads to bad things, but I just joined the Gravelord one, even though I was already a member of the miracle trainer's, and nothing happened. I am still able to buy stuff from him.

There's a few that you can't join if you kill a certain NPC or boss, so you can look those up.

As for when you 'break' a covenant, you just accrue guilt, which opens you up for invasions by Darkmoon invaders.

Arjen

Just beat
Pinwheel
in the Catacombs. He was surprisingly pretty easy. Now I am pretty darn good at fighting skeletons. Those wheel ones are scary though.

As far as i know there are no real penalties, some of them have ranks though, where you can recieve more items and other advantages if you gain a rank. You gain a rank by offering certain items to that covenant. If you leave the covenant the rank and items you offered wil be reset to 0, so that's something to keep in the back of ypur head.

2AdEPT

Uninstall then reinstall the game?
Seriously WTF, that sucks and that's why I don't play the PC version (I own it). I read too many horror stories about this version...

Since I bought it on steam this is less obvious how to do than on regular disc games...if anyone can lend a hand it would be appreciated....I am a noob to stream and PC gaming in general...I guess I could start over from scratch but I would prefer not to ....but I can't even find the cord to pull out the plug at this point. I sent a message to steam and expect to hear a reply in 6 days or a week so seriously, anyone familiar with steam of pC in general I am all ears!!!.

Just beat
Pinwheel
in the Catacombs.

You can easily and fluidly enter and leave covenants any time you wish..the only time it really matters is when you have already invested collection offering items like humanity for the chaos covenant as you will lose half of what you gave to that point if you leave. I enjoy entering as many covenants as i can early so that I get their benefits and gifts for entering , then re-join the one that I need to develop in for a while a bit later. I often belong to the sunbros first, then the darkmoon as I love to play dex/faith characters that can buff darkmoon blade and throw lightning all in one...makes me a Jedi.

Soulhouf

Since I bought it on steam this is less obvious how to do than on regular disc games...if anyone can lend a hand it would be appreciated....I am a noob to stream and PC gaming in general...I guess I could start over from scratch but I would prefer not to ....but I can't even find the cord to pull out the plug at this point. I sent a message to steam and expect to hear a reply in 6 days or a week so seriously, anyone familiar with steam of pC in general I am all ears!!!.

backup your save file and reinstall the game and it should be fixed. There must be another way but I am no expert either.

dsk1210

Make sure you have the latest dsfix installed mate, a lot of people were having similar problems with the latest official patch.

Akito

Now that I think about it. is it better to stay in undead form and not human? Just meaning how often are you invaded by PvPers?
It varies, in less popular areas you'll get invaded once or twice max, if at all. In some others you can get invaded every time you're in human form. There's no real better option per se, in human form you can summon phantoms as an offset to getting invaded and you get much better drop chances as well. You'll also miss out some events and quests if you're always undead.
The rule of thumb is: undead if you're desperate to make progress, human otherwise.

Soulhouf

It varies, in less popular areas you'll get invaded once or twice max, if at all. In some others you can get invaded every time you're in human form. There's no real better option per se, in human form you can summon phantoms as an offset to getting invaded and you get much better drop chances as well. You'll also miss out some events and quests if you're always undead.
The rule of thumb is: undead if you're desperate to make progress, human otherwise.

Only the humanity counter matters. Being human or hollow doesn't change a thing in that respect.

I really miss Demon's Souls phantom form where you have only half your health. That would push players to stay human in Dark Souls.
Also I hate being hollow because my character looks ugly...

ParityBit

Is there a point where you should/should not be human? Like starting the game, should you go human for a while until a point that you are more likely to be invaded? This is being more of a concern while learning the game, but if it is better to be human ....

Akito

Is there a point where you should/should not be human? Like starting the game, should you go human for a while until a point that you are more likely to be invaded? This is being more of a concern while learning the game, but if it is better to be human ....
You can always play in human form but offline until you're more familiar with the game.

If you're hollow but online you can still see all the messages and also co-op with others in their world (reward = souls+humanity).

In a perfect world it wouldn't matter if you were strolling around Undead Burg at lvl4 and got invaded because the invader would be on a relatively equal footing, but since usually anyone invading at that level is using maxed out equipment and just trolling, I'd say yes if you don't want to deal with that stay hollow or offline till you're more up to playing PvP (which is hugely fun and a big plus in terms of longevity).

SJRB

Gold Member

Just stay undead until you need to summon help. It's the safest way [aside from disconnecting from the internet, of course].

You can still get summoned while hollow, though. It might be interesting to put up a summon sign in front of a boss area so people can summon you. This way you can help them out, practice and familiarize yourself with the boss fight and when you take the boss down you also get the souls.

Firebrand

Surprise: This game is pretty difficult. I've played for about 4 hours, I'm in Undeadburg and I still can't beat either
the taurus demon nor the spear knight in the tunnel
. I tried throwing some firebombs at the boss but I dont think any of them even connected, hah.

I absolutely love the exploration though.

Should I care if I lose "humanity"? It seems to be increasing on its own every once in a while. Getting a bit tired of having to run back and retrieve every time I feel like ragequitting. Think I'm up to 10 atm.

Top Bottom