• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Arjen

I sort of wish I had the same hard time with the taurus demon like everyone else. The first time I met him, he fell off the bridge almost instantly.

Should I care if I lose "humanity"? It seems to be increasing on its own every once in a while. Getting a bit tired of having to run back and retrieve every time I feel like ragequitting. Think I'm up to 10 atm.
Humanity is quite important yes, more so than souls really which are only currency. The humanity count affects your item drop rate, the stats of certain weapons and I think I'm right in saying certain resistances(?) - it's also used for returning to human form (for summoning co-op/invading) and kindling bonfires, which increases the number of Estus Flasks you can carry (up to a max of 20 gulps once you acquire an item from a boss).

Taurus Demon has a nice easy way to take off a huge chunk of his life, think about the Asylum Demon from the tutorial area. You'll be seeing more of his extended family in the game later and you'll be surprised what a piece of cake he is.

Firebrand

Taurus Demon has a nice easy way to take off a huge chunk of his life, think about the Asylum Demon from the tutorial area. You'll be seeing more of his extended family in the game later and you'll be surprised what a piece of cake he is.
I assume you mean
jump-attacking him in the head from the tower?
I thought about doing that when, uh, I discovered the guy could climb.

Not that I did that in the tutorial area, the platform crumbled under me so I just had to kill him the old-fashioned way.

My strategy so far has been to run up close, hack away and run around him whenever he attacks, but it messes up the camera and frame rate pretty badly and while I got him down to half HP that way it only takes a mistake or two to get smashed to pieces.

Sullichin

I assume you mean
jump-attacking him in the head from the tower?
I thought about doing that when, uh, I discovered the guy could climb.

Not that I did that in the tutorial area, the platform crumbled under me so I just had to kill him the old-fashioned way.

My strategy so far has been to run up close, hack away and run around him whenever he attacks, but it messes up the camera and frame rate pretty badly and while I got him down to half HP that way it only takes a mistake or two to get smashed to pieces.

A good strategy for nearly any boss in the Souls series is to learn how to roll through their attacks.

Raide

HAHAHAH. LTTP but Capra Down finally!!!! He drove me away from Dark Souls for a while and I came back to overcome his goaty ass.

g.r.e.

I was invaded by someone who had invulnerability(I managed to backstab him, for a total of 64k dmg and he didn't die o_O), was fastrolling and spamming smough's hammer 2H R2. What a little prick.

Sullichin

Since I bought it on steam this is less obvious how to do than on regular disc games...if anyone can lend a hand it would be appreciated....I am a noob to stream and PC gaming in general...I guess I could start over from scratch but I would prefer not to ....but I can't even find the cord to pull out the plug at this point. I sent a message to steam and expect to hear a reply in 6 days or a week so seriously, anyone familiar with steam of pC in general I am all ears!!!.

I'm pretty sure no one hacked your game. I've read other people having this problem after the last patch, you have to uninstall the game. Back up your save first, then in Steam right click on the game and delete local content, then download it again

You'll also miss out some events and quests if you're always undead.
The rule of thumb is: undead if you're desperate to make progress, human otherwise.

Oops, I have been spending my time undead, unless I want to kindle. I am currently in the Depths (though I have wandered around later areas you can access early as well), have I missed any events yet? If so, can I go back and do them?

Firebrand said:
I assume you mean jump-attacking him in the head from the tower? I thought about doing that when, uh, I discovered the guy could climb.

If you choose to do the plunging attack method, immediately sprint to the ladder as soon as the fight starts, and jump on him as soon as he gets under you. To repeat it, run to the other side, wait for him to get there, roll past him (be sure to not fall off the bridge like I did a bunch of times), and sprint back to the ladder. I recommend you remove all armor, so you can move as quickly as possible. I found the Astora Straight Sword did the most damage (took out half of his health with the first plunge attack, though I couldn't get as clean a hit on him after the initial one). You can get that
in the Valley of the Drakes (to get there, go through a door in the New Londo Ruins, which is accessed by the elevator below Anastacia in the Firelink Shrine) right in front of a sleeping dragon (who will wake up...This will likely be a suicide mission, so don't take a lot of souls with you) if you have the Master Key. Exploring any area you can get to seems to be highly rewarding in this game. Getting this sword really only takes a few minutes (I am pretty sure it takes a faith stat of 14 to wield).
If you can't get that, the longsword seems okay as well. Learning to use the environment to your advantage seems to be a good strategy in general (in fact, the environment helped me out a lot in the boss fight just before the depths).

As for the spear guys, I use my sword two-handed on them. It seems to be the easiest way to break their guard, and they move pretty slowly, so you can kill them before they attack.

There's a few that you can't join if you kill a certain NPC or boss, so you can look those up.

As for when you 'break' a covenant, you just accrue guilt, which opens you up for invasions by Darkmoon invaders.

As far as i know there are no real penalties, some of them have ranks though, where you can recieve more items and other advantages if you gain a rank. You gain a rank by offering certain items to that covenant. If you leave the covenant the rank and items you offered wil be reset to 0, so that's something to keep in the back of ypur head.

You can easily and fluidly enter and leave covenants any time you wish..the only time it really matters is when you have already invested collection offering items like humanity for the chaos covenant as you will lose half of what you gave to that point if you leave. I enjoy entering as many covenants as i can early so that I get their benefits and gifts for entering , then re-join the one that I need to develop in for a while a bit later. I often belong to the sunbros first, then the darkmoon as I love to play dex/faith characters that can buff darkmoon blade and throw lightning all in one...makes me a Jedi.

Thanks everyone. I did look into them, and it seems there is really only minor penalties for some of them. I thought it would be something really bad. I haven't decided which one to join permanently, but since GFWL won't let me sign in, I guess it doesn't even matter. Whatever, I am a lone wolf.

Another question...
can you basically hack off the tail of any boss that has one and get a weapon?
This seems to be a reoccurring theme.

ParityBit

So I am at the campfire in the undead Burg. I am .... well undead. I have 3 humanity from killing things. Is it worth becoming human and kindling this fire? I was planning on trying to kill the boss .... well attempt to kill the boss and I figure I may lose them.

SJRB

Gold Member
So I am at the campfire in the undead Burg. I am .... well undead. I have 3 humanity from killing things. Is it worth becoming human and kindling this fire? I was planning on trying to kill the boss .... well attempt to kill the boss and I figure I may lose them.

Kindling is always worth it because it will resupply your estus with 10 flasks instead of 5.

You need 1 humanity to reverse hollowing and 1 to kindle the bonfire, so it'll require 2 humanities.

I kindled it, and it has been pretty beneficial to me.

ParityBit

Kindling is always worth it because it will resupply your estus with 10 flasks instead of 5.

You need 1 humanity to reverse hollowing and 1 to kindle the bonfire, so it'll require 2 humanities.

OK, I have 3 so I will give it a try. I am sure I will get invaded. Heh

feel

OK, I have 3 so I will give it a try. I am sure I will get invaded. Heh
As far as I know, they can't use their Estus flask so use that to your advantage. In my playthrough I was human most of the time (feels more exciting) and I killed the 90% of the people who invaded me because I could easily heal. Don't worry too much about it, PvP is fun (except for that occasional cunt that pulls some insane 1hit kill magic attack out of his ass).

SJRB

Gold Member
OK, I kindled the fire, ran into the tower to kill the archer, got invaded.

Got hit with some poison and died.

Not fun.

..but you kindled the fire and now you will get 10 estus flasks instead of 5. And you can go back and reclaim your souls.

Try to loosen up a bit.

ParityBit

..but you kindled the fire and now you will get 10 estus flasks instead of 5. And you can go back and reclaim your souls.

Try to loosen up a bit.

True. Ill just run around as undead for now. What do you need to kindle a fire a second time?

Also how do I get summoned to help someone else? I think it was a good idea to try that for xp

g.r.e.

True. Ill just run around as undead for now. What do you need to kindle a fire a second time?

Also how do I get summoned to help someone else? I think it was a good idea to try that for xp
The Rite of Kindling. You'll get it later after defeating a certain boss.

Seanspeed

Banned
Played again tonight. My last accomplishment was ringing the 1st chuchbell in the Undead Burg.

I *thought* my next way was down below Firelink Shrine into whatever was there, but after about 20 deaths, I think its probably not the way. I cant hit anything there and I get killed as soon as my dodging fails. Had to Wiki it and found out my way was through the bonfire/blacksmith area near the church. I had tried that boss before and done hardly anything to him despite being able to avoid most of his attacks. Damn this game is tough. I'll be tackling the challenge tomorrow. Too drunk to try any further.

neoism

at the begining of the game do this new guys
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WB3yVvrfUJU
lol not sure what the deal is though I get 550 souls everytime and there are 3 or so less enemies on the bridge....
get dat vit and end up :p
souls dont really matter though it will level you up and help you a little but this game is about skill and luck...remember if you go to the bonfire behind the dragon it will fly away just go to the bonfire in the vid
lol looove that dsfix where you can make your souls in your hud transparent

Played again tonight. My last accomplishment was ringing the 1st chuchbell in the Undead Burg.

I *thought* my next way was down below Firelink Shrine into whatever was there, but after about 20 deaths, I think its probably not the way. I cant hit anything there and I get killed as soon as my dodging fails. Had to Wiki it and found out my way was through the bonfire/blacksmith area near the church. I had tried that boss before and done hardly anything to him despite being able to avoid most of his attacks. Damn this game is tough. I'll be tackling the challenge tomorrow. Too drunk to try any further.

Do you mean the area that leads to the garden past the big demon that shoots lightning bolts? I am not sure that is actually what you are intended to do next, but there are some cool items there that you can obtain. If you are trying to progress the story, then you are supposed to be heading down to
the Lower Undead Burg through the locked door in front of the bridge with the red dragon. You should have picked up a key somewhere near the church.

Seanspeed

Banned
Do you mean the area that leads to the garden past the big demon that shoots lightning bolts? I am not sure that is actually what you are intended to do next, but there are some cool items there that you can obtain. If you are trying to progress the story, then you are supposed to be heading down to
the Lower Undead Burg through the locked door in front of the bridge with the red dragon. You should have picked up a key somewhere near the church.
Oh for real? Ok, damn. I probably would have spent another hour feeling embarrassed in a too-difficult area! Thanks.

Oh for real? Ok, damn. I probably would have spent another hour feeling embarrassed in a too-difficult area! Thanks.

Most parts of the garden are not that bad. I actually wandered through a lot of it before the Gargoyles. Just be careful to not get swarmed by enemies. Read on if you want to find out a bit more...
It is the upper area with the cats that is rough. The basin is fairly easy (relatively speaking) as long as you take the enemies out one by one. There is a path to the right shortly after entering the area that leads there.

Also, you don't need to kill the demon to get into there. He is very easy to run past. Like I said above, you can obtain some neat stuff there, even if you just make a run through it. Be advised the Fog Door in the ruin-like area, and the big set of double doors up top (not the door that you need an item to open) lead to boss fights.

Yes but what about gift and all that. I know playing with kbam I'm probably going to struggle a little so I need all the help I can get. And since I've never payed the game before I have no idea what I'm doing.

I do have the mouse fix and I have payed with really shitty mouse controls before though. So maybe I will be alright.

Yes but what about gift and all that. I know playing with kbam I'm probably going to struggle a little so I need all the help I can get. And since I've never payed the game before I have no idea what I'm doing.

I do have the mouse fix and I have payed with really shitty mouse controls before though. So maybe I will be alright.
The only useful starting gift is really the Master Key - it gives access to a couple of areas a little earlier than without it. If you don't choose it, nothing is blocked to you for long and you can buy it quite early in the game any way.

Starting classes - really not much between them, you can get many of the starting weapons and gear quite early also - so pick one that looks like the type of weapon/armour you want to begin with. Pyromancer helps for new players because you get the pyro glove and fireball spell from the start - it makes the first couple of areas a little easier. Again you get the glove free quite early any way, so don't feel you are ever missing out on anything by your starting choices you won't :)

Raide

Had my first invasion last night. Pretty low level, went human and about 10 mins later got invaded by someone who tried to firestorm me over and over. In the end I just ran around the map trying to slowly wear them down but in the end got backstabbed. I ten got a message saying it was fun!. How odd. :D

Ledsen

Most parts of the garden are not that bad. I actually wandered through a lot of it before the Gargoyles. Just be careful to not get swarmed by enemies. It is the upper area with the cats that is rough. The basin is fairly easy (relatively speaking) as long as you take the enemies out one by one. There is a path to the right shortly after entering the area that leads there.

Also, you don't need to kill the demon to get into there. He is very easy to run past. Like I said above, you can obtain some neat stuff there, even if you just make a run through it. Be advised the Fog Door in the ruin-like area, and the big set of double doors up top (not the door that you need an item to open) lead to boss fights

Dude giving him information about layout, enemies and Bosses for an area he hasn't been in, without him asking, is doing him a huge disservice.

Made a bunch of progress lately, got str/dex/vit to 20, end is 32 - been working on that so I can equip more of my elite knight set and keep the quick roll.

Bought Washing Pole, upgraded to +8, got dark wood grain ring for the flips, been working on upgrading the elite knight helm.

I have enough shards to take the Washing Pole to +10, not sure if I want to do that or try a different sword like the claymore.

schwupp

i´m waiting at the smough ornstein bonfire (pc) for some coop help - no signs seem to show up :(
if anyone wants to try to help :D (lvl 36)

Firebrand

Was Knight a bad pick to start with? I'm pretty slow and the extra armor doesn't stop me from going down really quick if I run out of stamina while blocking. I've tried the parry / riposte thing but it's a bit risky when I'm up against any enemy that deals significant amounts of damage in one attack (i.e. most of them). edit: And oh, should I be putting points both STR and DEX or just focus on one?

Dunno how to feel about this game yet. I really enjoy the exploration and all the little shortcuts and hidden stuff everywhere, but I find that most of my time is spent just repeating the same stretches of "trash mobs" (if there's even such a thing in this game) and then having to run back to the bonfire again because I run out of flasks or get poisoned.

edit: Just found the newbie guide on the front page, cheers! I might leave Undeadburg for a bit as I'm stuck and explore some other path from the Firelink Shrine, if nothing else just to get a change in scenery. Will have to practice my combat a bit as well.

Seanspeed

Banned
Ok, I'll spoiler tag it. He can read it if he wants to.

Thanks for that. Yea, I didn't read the spoiler'ed stuff. Its been hard to not hear here and there that certain areas are hard or whatever, but I do try and go in somewhat blind to the specifics of what I'm getting into.

Was Knight a bad pick to start with? I'm pretty slow and the extra armor doesn't stop me from going down really quick if I run out of stamina while blocking. I've tried the parry / riposte thing but it's a bit risky when I'm up against any enemy that deals significant amounts of damage in one attack (i.e. most of them). edit: And oh, should I be putting points both STR and DEX or just focus on one?
Pay attention to your equip loads. If you can get it to be 50% or less, you'll move much quicker and the roll will become useful. I put a bunch of points into Endurance and its paid off(I picked Knight as well).

If you want to stick with the heavy stuff, you're going to need Strength to make use of wielding the really heavy weapons that'll make the slowness worthwhile, I think. I kinda made the choice to go the other way with it and be a more medium character and I'm doing fairly well but I dont think its anything you *have* to do.

Also, depleting your stamina I think will knock you back/down no matter what you're holding. Gotta manage that part of your playing and try to keep it replenishing as much as possible. This is another reason points into Endurance has helped, by the way.

Raide

Started a Sorcerer and then starting making him a 2-handed weapon beast. Typically on my Pure Sorc I ended up getting the Taurus weapon drop, the Gargoyle on and the Black Knight Greatword...bah.

What's a good weapon for the warrior class? I've been using the Drake Sword for a while, and I finally understood that it doesn't scale with the skills I already have.

chris-013

What's a good weapon for the warrior class? I've been using the Drake Sword for a while, and I finally understood that it doesn't scale with the skills I already have.

You meant the drake sword doesn't scale with your stats ?
If you have a lot of strength the claymore, dark knight sword/halberd are good weapons.

Anyway classes don't matter past 1 or 2 hours into the game.

Sullichin

There is another thread?!
Yeah, the fourth iteration of the console OT. This thread was made when the PC version came out.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=454985

Anyway...

Doing pretty well with my pyromancer PVP build: https://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=188128105437675970

45 DEX, two full casts of fire tempest, two slots of fire whip, and great chaos fireball. Winged spear + 15. For my secondary sometimes I use gold tracer (right hand), or Ricard's Rapier +15 (left hand for parries). But, I don't brandish my secondary too much. Usually rocking bellowing dragoncrest + wolf ring (so I don't get interrupted while casting fire tempest unless you get a backstab), but sometimes switch out Wolf for Leo ring, which can be pretty nasty with the winged spear. I switch up the spells too but typically don't use combustion because it's kind of lame. If i do, it's for variety sake to confuse my opponent by throwing every pyro spell out there. Fire whip trips people up sometimes, as do unlocked chaos fireballs. Most of my PVP dudes are melee so this is a nice change of play style for me, it's a lot of fun. I typically prefer the big ass 2H STR weapons. I just wish I could invade immediately anywhere in the game like the PS3 version.

Is the claymore a slower swing than the washing pole or is it just my imagination?

Got claymore upgraded to +10, washing pole to 10 - not sure which one I want to take to 15.

Is it worth getting a lightning/fire weapon?

I was working on uchigatana for a while until I got the washing pole. Changed the uchigatana into divine for whenever I hit the catacombs.

Stats are 20 dex 20 str, haven't been putting any points in them lately until I figure what weapon I want to end up with.

Char is pve focused, no desire to pvp.

Caerith

I've been thinking-- the Master Key isn't really that great of a starting gift for anything but a speed run. It pretty much allows you:
  • To skip Undead Burg
  • To skip the Depths
  • Early access to the Dragon Crest Shield and Red Tearstone Ring
But if it's NG, you're probably going to want Pyromancy and the Large Ember, and you get both from the Depths. If you're going into the Depths anyway you're going to meet Dornhall, who sells the Master Key.

Probably the best gift for a starting player is the Old Witch's Ring. It's the only way to get The Fair Lady's dialogue, and the only way you can obtain the Old Witch's Ring is pretty late in the game by giving up a really useful piece of equipment.

I made a new character and, this time, I took the ring instead of the key. Figured I'd get the full story instead of a shortcut past areas I'd end up exploring anyway.
My starting class was also Thief, but who's counting?

Is it worth getting a lightning/fire weapon?
If you're putting points into a stat your weapon of choice scales with, it's not necessary-- just make a +15 weapon (and then put a resin on it if you want). If you want a powerful weapon early on, then the non-scaling damage of a +5 lightning or +10 fire is hard to argue with.

Char is pve focused, no desire to pvp.
Be prepared for PVP anyway. You need it if you want the Fog Ring, which renders you near-invisible to enemies, great for getting through PVE areas without having to fight.

2AdEPT

I'm pretty sure no one hacked your game. I've read other people having this problem after the last patch, you have to uninstall the game. Back up your save first, then in Steam right click on the game and delete local content, then download it again

thanks ....this all helped...i like this community....a lot.

Dresden

Be prepared for PVP anyway. You need it if you want the Fog Ring, which renders you near-invisible to enemies, great for getting through PVE areas without having to fight.
Eh, he can just get a Fog Ring by giving a skull lantern to Snuggly.

I remember when that ring made you untargetable by other players... fun times.

Seanspeed

Banned
Went into the Depths. Was doing really well until I
fell into a hole and got cursed

This game is cruel, I swear. But I love it. Gotta take a trip out and
uncurse myself and then maybe buy one or two items that'll uncurse
me as I play. Wow, this sucked. lol

I've been using the Halberd as my main weapon now, though. Having a lot of fun with it. My endurance is high enough to where I can hold a good shield and the Halberd and still be at 50% equip load. Makes a huge difference and I can deal some serious damage while still being able to block. At first, I thought the combat in this felt a little clunky, but it feels just right now. I understand it. Its so well designed.

Top Bottom