• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Sullichin

So I just started NG. I am SL 66. What level should I be at so I can get the most out of co-op?

You mean NG+? The game you're on doesn't matter, you can connect to people in NG, NG+, etc, only your level matters. level 66 should get you some good co-op action from Anor Londo onwards.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
So other players can invade my game when I'm in human form? Not sure I like the sound of that. Why would I ever go to human form then?
If you want people to invade you, or you want to invade other people.

Or you want to summon people.

Human is basically online, hollow is basically offline.

Went into the Depths. Was doing really well until I
fell into a hole and got cursed

This game is cruel, I swear. But I love it. Gotta take a trip out and
uncurse myself and then maybe buy one or two items that'll uncurse
me as I play. Wow, this sucked. lol

I've been using the Halberd as my main weapon now, though. Having a lot of fun with it. My endurance is high enough to where I can hold a good shield and the Halberd and still be at 50% equip load. Makes a huge difference and I can deal some serious damage while still being able to block. At first, I thought the combat in this felt a little clunky, but it feels just right now. I understand it. Its so well designed.

I know exactly what you are going through. Good luck!
When you find what you need to get rid of the curse, make sure you get more so that you don't to make that kind of trip again.

So other players can invade my game when I'm in human form? Not sure I like the sound of that. Why would I ever go to human form then?

Pretty much every single time I've revere hollowed, I've been invaded. I don't think I'm going to use humanity until my character is higher level. The worst are the guys who invade you and are clearly much higher level than you are, so they kill you in one shot. Hate those trolls!

Sullichin

When you find what you need to get rid of the curse, make sure you get more so that you don't to make that kind of trip again.

Pretty much every single time I've revere hollowed, I've been invaded. I don't think I'm going to use humanity until my character is higher level. The worst are the guys who invade you and are clearly much higher level than you are, so they kill you in one shot. Hate those trolls!
They can't be much higher level than you are due to how invasions work, they more likely just have better equipment.

Seanspeed

Banned

Oh yea. They're expensive so I'm gonna grind for a while, which I dont mind. I can play around with different weapons and practice a bit while I do it. Its helped me out quite a bit so far moving forward. I beat the
Capra Demon
first try. The range of this Halberd really allows me to stay safe unless I get swarmed or get reckless/overconfident and practicing with it really was key to me learning to use it effectively.

Really disappointed that saving at bonfires doesn't save your current items. The game kind of makes a big production of not being able to be paused or allowing save anywhere, which is fine, but it feels like not having true save state at the bonfires is only there to artificially increase the difficulty. As it all bonfire really are is way points and nothing more.

ParityBit

So I got the tail as my weapon, android wonder what I need to upgrade for weapons. I can't use the 7 shards I have on it, so I am a little lost with what to do. I am really enjoying this game.

Any suggestions for my pyro with stats? I have ...

Level 12 or so
Vit : 10
Att : 14
End : 16
Str : 16
Dex : 13
Res : 12
Int : 12
Fai : 8

Seanspeed

Banned
Really disappointed that saving at bonfires doesn't save your current items. The game kind of makes a big production of not being able to be paused or allowing save anywhere, which is fine, but it feels like not having true save state at the bonfires is only there to artificially increase the difficulty. As it all bonfire really are is way points and nothing more.
Bonfires dont save anything. The game is constantly saving, whether you're at a bonfire or not. You'll always keep all your items in your inventory. The only thing you can ever lose is humanity and souls.

Bonfires are waypoints, but they serve as 'starting points' basically. If you get to one, you usually know that ahead of you lies a long, difficult road.

I think the system is uniquely brilliant.

Bonfires dont save anything. The game is constantly saving, whether you're at a bonfire or not. You'll always keep all your items in your inventory. The only thing you can ever lose is humanity and souls.

Bonfires are waypoints, but they serve as 'starting points' basically. If you get to one, you usually know that ahead of you lies a long, difficult road.

I think the system is uniquely brilliant.

Save at bonfire, use most of your items (say black firebomb) in a fight you die at the end of, start back at bonfire with the same amount of firebombs you had left when you died.

On the surface it seems ok. Nothing wrong with tough games and there arent enough of them. But from a game design perspective you now expect the player to fight the same fight he just lost with less resources. And every time he dies he faces the same fight with even less resources.

I guess what I'm saying is I want that damn Demon's Great Hammer, and I will start the game over and over again as many times as I have to just so I have 10 firebombs when I face the Asylum Demon..

ijed

Save at bonfire, use most of your items (say black firebomb) in a fight you die at the end of, start back at bonfire with the same amount of firebombs you had left when you died.

On the surface it seems ok. Nothing wrong with tough games and there arent enough of them. But from a game design perspective you now expect the player to fight the same fight he just lost with less resources. And every time he dies he faces the same fight with even less resources.

I guess what I'm saying is I want that damn Demon's Great Hammer, and I will start the game over and over again as many times as I have to just so I have 10 firebombs when I face the Asylum Demon..

After the tutorial there's merchants that sell them so you can have 99 in your inventory - it's a consumable item like all games have - nothing cheap about the fact you die and return to a bonfire and you don't get the items back. If anything it's telling you maybe you should try a different approach...
DGH is supposed to be a reward for beating the Boss first time - otherwise you do it in NG+ where it's much easier

Fuck, fuck, FUCK.
Sen's Fortress just made me ragequit - I'm calling it a night. Finally was able to make some progress and then this fire starts raining out of nowhere. Have to find a bonfire inside because I hate having to start all the way back near the Blacksmith.

feel

Fuck, fuck, FUCK.
Sen's Fortress just made me ragequit - I'm calling it a night. Finally was able to make some progress and then this fire starts raining out of nowhere. Have to find a bonfire inside because I hate having to start all the way back near the Blacksmith.
hint

there's a semi-hidden bonfire around the area where fire starts raining

Sullichin

Usually if you threw some firebombs and died you can buy some more and then try the fight again, it's a unique situation that you're trying to do it in the beginning of the game. They are consumable items, it wouldn't make sense if they refilled at a bonfire like estus and your spells. You can always go back to any bonfire so it would be weird if they acted as save states when resting or dying in an area you've already been before. In Demon's Souls you didn't even get your healing or mp regen items back when you died, that really annoyed me when I was a new player but I learned they're easy to stock up on. That being said, I like Dark Souls' system better.

You can get the demon great hammer later on by
trading a sack (armor head piece) to the crow outside the asylum
or in NG+. You need 31 strength to use it 2 handed so it might not be imperative that you get it now.

Seanspeed

Banned
Thanks for the advice guys, but I restarted the game from scratch somewhere between 10 and 15 times. Got my hammer.
Whatever works for you. I think you probably need to drop the 'completionist' attitude as a beginner, though. There's going to be lots of things that are possible to get, but you might have to die for lots of times before getting. You cant just restart and restart the game. Accepting some loss is part of Dark Souls when you die. The important thing is to learn from your mistakes and get better. So far, I haven't needed any great equipment to get by.

I'd suggest the Bandit. High vitality, endurance and strength combined with a decent starting weapon and a great shield.

Hmm. I'm not very far in yet. A beginners guide suggested starting with a bandit + master key. Maybe I should restart again.

I am having 1 problem with the controls. I think it was for jumping and attacking and kicking (not on ladder) but it must have been showing the wrong key assignment because it wasn't working. Unless I have to be unarmed for it to work? I'm playing with kbam, but so far it has worked ok with a mouse fix mod and a mod to replace the xbox controller prompts.

The fixed icons says left stick (?I assume clicking down on the left stick?) +mouse 2 (power attack) to jump attack or the same to kick. What are the normal commands for this. I dont need to know what the buttons on a controller would be, I need to know what the buttons normally do.

ijed

The fixed icons says left stick (?I assume clicking down on the left stick?) +mouse 2 (power attack) to jump attack or the same to kick. What are the normal commands for this. I dont need to know what the buttons on a controller would be, I need to know what the buttons normally do.

Forward+Light Attack for Kick, Forward+Heavy Attack for jump attack.

Ledsen

What you're talking about is very much an exception. Sounds like you've been reading FAQs? If you're a new player you wouldn't have any idea that you could pick firebombs to beat the first Demon and get his weapon. If you do know, you'll most likely have played the game before and wouldn't have any problems doing it on the first try.

Hmm. I'm not very far in yet. A beginners guide suggested starting with a bandit + master key. Maybe I should restart again.

I am having 1 problem with the controls. I think it was for jumping and attacking and kicking (not on ladder) but it must have been showing the wrong key assignment because it wasn't working. Unless I have to be unarmed for it to work? I'm playing with kbam, but so far it has worked ok with a mouse fix mod and a mod to replace the xbox controller prompts.

You should definitely NOT start with the Master Key, it allows you to skip large portions of the game. Also I'd advice you to stop reading guides that tell you what to do, which equipment to use or where to go. Discovering stuff for yourself is a large part of the game. Honestly, you'll be ruining the game for yourself. You're supposed to miss a lot of stuff your first run-through. If you're a completionist, wait until you're at the end of the game and then go back and get stuff you missed.

Kicking is done by pressing forward+attack at the exact same time. The frame window is very small. I don't know about jump attacks, I never used those. Unless you mean the drop attack? edit: oh, that jump attack. Yeah that's not very useful, at least not for me. Forward+heavy attack.

SJRB

Gold Member
Thanks for the advice guys, but I restarted the game from scratch somewhere between 10 and 15 times. Got my hammer.

Important to realise is that when you die, the game does not "reload" a save from the situation you were in when you were at the bonfire. When you die you simply respawn back at the bonfire you last rested at, aside from all enemies respawning everything else remains the same. Hence, every item you use is gone forever regardless of when you die.

demonkaze

So i'm looking for a bit of advice on where to take my current character. This is my second time playing Dark Souls (I originally played back at console launch, pre any patches) and I created a new character last week.

The build i'm aiming for is an Knight Artorias one (mainly for the looks and the fact that my first character was a fast dex based pyromancer build so I wan't something different) and the stats i'll be aiming for at SL100 will be:

VIT: 25
ATT: 19
END:25
STR:32
DEX:18
RES:11
INT:32
FAI:20

I'll eventually be using the Abyss Greatsword and the Artorias equip set. What i'm looking for is what gear to aim for in the mean time/at the moment. Currently rocking the lame Drake Sword (Just gained access to Sen's fortress) and the Elite Knights set, I do have the wolf ring and Havel's ring already however.

Not sure where to go for weapons and armor until I have access to what I want (which is pretty much endgame).

I've been thinking-- the Master Key isn't really that great of a starting gift for anything but a speed run. It pretty much allows you:
  • To skip Undead Burg
  • To skip the Depths
  • Early access to the Dragon Crest Shield and Red Tearstone Ring
But if it's NG, you're probably going to want Pyromancy and the Large Ember, and you get both from the Depths. If you're going into the Depths anyway you're going to meet Dornhall, who sells the Master Key.

Probably the best gift for a starting player is the Old Witch's Ring. It's the only way to get The Fair Lady's dialogue, and the only way you can obtain the Old Witch's Ring is pretty late in the game by giving up a really useful piece of equipment.
Old Witch's Ring doesn't do anything other than the dialogue though right? Maybe Twin Humanities would be the most useful thing other than the Master Key. Once you're at the Parish you can skip Depths by way of the forest to get to VoD/Blighttown and open the New Londo gate, get the Watchtower Basement key from
Moonlight Butterfly
all the other keys are obtained along the way.

I like the Master Key for getting to Darkroot Basin without killing Taurus Demon more than anything - leaving the Burg open for invasions. If not the master key I usually go for the Pendant, though I've yet to experience any "fond memories and comfort" ;)

Caerith

As for kicking, some weapons replace kick with an alternate attack. The curved sword the wanderer starts with, for instance.

If you're struggling with the controls, I'd advise making a new character and starting as a pyromancer and not leveling up. Not having armor or HP to fall back on really forces you to master the basics.

Old Witch's Ring doesn't do anything other than the dialogue though right? Maybe Twin Humanities would be the most useful thing other than the Master Key. Once you're at the Parish you can skip Depths by way of the forest to get to VoD/Blighttown and open the New Londo gate, get the Watchtower Basement key from
Moonlight Butterfly
all the other keys are obtained along the way.

I like the Master Key for getting to Darkroot Basin without killing Taurus Demon more than anything - leaving the Burg open for invasions. If not the master key I usually go for the Pendant, though I've yet to experience any "fond memories and comfort" ;)
Right, Old Witch's Ring is just the dialogue. Not, strictly speaking, useful, but still-- it's missable dialogue if you don't have it.

I like the Master Key too, for the same reason of skipping the Burg. Killing that black knight with just a bandit's knife is pretty fun.

Firebrand

Hmm.. I'm about 11 hours in, at the boss by the first bell... thinking of rerolling as something else. I equipped lighter armor to be a bit quicker and that seems more fun. I've already pumped a whole lot into strength and now wish I had gone dex instead as I don't like the slower weapons. Ranged combat also seems useful. Supposedly knights can use magic of some sorts but the only ones I've found is miracles at the Firelink Shrine merchant and I don't have the faith to use any of it anyway.

Ledsen

Hmm.. I'm about 11 hours in, at the boss by the first bell... thinking of rerolling as something else. I equipped lighter armor to be a bit quicker and that seems more fun. I've already pumped a whole lot into strength and now wish I had gone dex instead as I don't like the slower weapons. Ranged combat also seems useful. Supposedly knights can use magic of some sorts but the only ones I've found is miracles at the Firelink Shrine merchant and I don't have the faith to use any of it anyway.

Any class can do anything, the small difference in starting stats between classes doesn't really matter.

Firebrand

Any class can do anything, the small difference in starting stats between classes doesn't really matter.
Ah. Yeah, but now the souls / level is going up by quite a bit relative to what I get off mobs, though... probably quicker to farm the missing levels than to replay the game.

Most of the STR points are probably a waste if I decide to focus on pointier things. Though, some of the heavier weapons seem to require a bit of DEX as well as so maybe the STR will be useful later on regardless?

ParityBit

So I am wondering if I should use my shards to upgrade weapons/armor. I ask because right now I have the Drake Sword which can not be upgraded by them .... but I dont know if I can make one of these other weapons better. Or if I should bother?

Or armor for that matter. I am still using my crappy starting armor.

Arjen

So I am wondering if I should use my shards to upgrade weapons/armor. I ask because right now I have the Drake Sword which can not be upgraded by them .... but I dont know if I can make one of these other weapons better. Or if I should bother?

Or armor for that matter. I am still using my crappy starting armor.

That's A good idea, you don't want to depend on the drake sword to much later in the game, it gets outclassed real quik by other upgraded weapons.

ParityBit

That's A good idea, you don't want to depend on the drake sword to much later in the game, it gets outclassed real quik by other upgraded weapons.

Any suggestions as to which weapon to upgrade? Although I suppose I could try various weapons to see. I have
Short sword/long sword/Claymore/Scimitar/Hand axe/Halberd/Morning Star/Winged Spear. Plus Zweihander and Astora's Straight sword

I am a Pryo, level 19. 10/14/17/16/13/12/12/8

And a bigtime Noob

Arjen

Any suggestions as to which weapon to upgrade? Although I suppose I could try various weapons to see. I have
Short sword/long sword/Claymore/Scimitar/Hand axe/Halberd/Morning Star/Winged Spear. Plus Zweihander and Astora's Straight sword

I am a Pryo, level 19. 10/14/17/16/13/12/12/8

And a bigtime Noob

That totally depends on your playstyle and prefrence. I personally hate slow swinging weapons so I stick with spears and long swords. Just try them out and see what fits you best.

ParityBit

That totally depends on your playstyle and prefrence. I personally hate slow swinging weapons so I stick with spears and long swords. Just try them out and see what fits you best.

Well I tried them and I agree, I don't care for the slower weapons. At least with this toon. Since I am a pyro, I guess I should stick with Dex based weapons? The scimitar was nice as was the long sword and winged spear. I dont have much more to upgrade really. I have 9 shards too

So I completed
killing the gargoyles, got some ax. But I have so many souls now. 13k! Should I level up? Or maybe buy the poisonbite ring from guy at the bottom of the tower?

Don't buy the poisonbite ring, it's not needed. Poison acts so slowly you can just heal or chomp a puple moss clump. Also as a Pyromancer your default garb has decent resistance by default IIRC.

I'd use the souls to level up if you're worried about losing them. Upgrade your favoured weapon to +5 (takes 9 shards luckily enough) - shards are easy to buy or farm even in the Parish, all the enemies drop them with a few humanity in your counter you should easily be able to get more if needed. Also buy the bottomless box, repair box etc if you haven't already.

Riposte

If you like dueling in this game you should check out a little PC game called Chivalry. It is pretty rad for it (no dramatic backstabs though).

ParityBit

Don't buy the poisonbite ring, it's not needed. Poison acts so slowly you can just heal or chomp a puple moss clump. Also as a Pyromancer your default garb has decent resistance by default IIRC.

I'd use the souls to level up if you're worried about losing them. Upgrade your favoured weapon to +5 (takes 9 shards luckily enough) - shards are easy to buy or farm even in the Parish, all the enemies drop them with a few humanity in your counter you should easily be able to get more if needed. Also buy the bottomless box, repair box etc if you haven't already.

Is it worth upgrading all my armor to +4. Its all my starter crap, but as I work on getting the shards I am getting lots of souls. Heh. To go to +5 I need large shards and I don't have many/found any of those

JRW

I was getting destroyed by the twin gargoyle bosses and decided to try reverse hollow & summon knight phantom to help me out, best decision ever (First time summoning) the phantom pretty much took on both gargoyles by itself as I stood there in awe, Think I got a few fireball attacks in but it did the rest lol.

Finally made it past Sen's Fortress, but I did have to look up online the location
of the bonfire. Does that mean I cheated? In my defense I did look everywhere (Died more than 5 times looking for it). It's not exactly obvious where that particular bonfire is in this area.

Anor Londo looks amazing. And those giant knights are dropping lots of souls. I could farm that area for a while.

Oh Dark Souls, how I hate you and love you at the same time.

Caerith

Is it worth upgrading all my armor to +4. Its all my starter crap, but as I work on getting the shards I am getting lots of souls. Heh. To go to +5 I need large shards and I don't have many/found any of those
If that's the armor you're going to wear for the rest of the game, or if you don't mind farming up all the souls and shards spent if you decide to change your armor later, sure. But I really wouldn't call the starter armor crap-- I still wear my pyro starting armor in most situations and have it upgraded to +6/+7 in some places.

Generally speaking, there's no hierarchy of "this piece of gear is better than that piece of gear." It's all tradeoffs.

Arjen

Been trying to get that damn blue slab, fell of twice right at the end, so frustrating. Don't even really need it, just for the achievement, which is making me hate myself a bit.

ParityBit

If that's the armor you're going to wear for the rest of the game, or if you don't mind farming up all the souls and shards spent if you decide to change your armor later, sure. But I really wouldn't call the starter armor crap-- I still wear my pyro starting armor in most situations and have it upgraded to +6/+7 in some places.

Generally speaking, there's no hierarchy of "this piece of gear is better than that piece of gear." It's all tradeoffs.

OK, I am still trying to get my head wrapped around all this. Weird that they start you with such good armor. I upgraded it all to +3 (+4 on the chest) and I leveled to 29. Raised all endurance. Lastly I bought the
20k sole token from the blacksmith for the forest?I figured I would need it at some point

What gets me, is I don't see any weapon I can get near the
Drake Sword
Yet. All I did was upgrade the winged-spear to +5.

SJRB

Gold Member
Ventured into the Painted World of Ariamis for the first time [skipped it previously], shouldn't have done that. That place makes me feel really uncomfortable, those walking tumors are the WORST.

Ventured into the Painted World of Ariamis for the first time [skipped it previously], shouldn't have done that. That place makes me feel really uncomfortable, those walking tumors are the WORST.

SPOILARS!

This game looks amazing, and has so much freaking content. How in the hell did FROM manage to fit everything in less than 4 GB?

Top Bottom