• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Soulhouf

So I am wondering if I should use my shards to upgrade weapons/armor. I ask because right now I have the Drake Sword which can not be upgraded by them .... but I dont know if I can make one of these other weapons better. Or if I should bother?

Or armor for that matter. I am still using my crappy starting armor.

Upgrade the Claymore or Halberd to +5 and they will hit harder than the Drake Sword. Also the move set is better.

Raide

Feel good today. Made more progress with downing Gaping Dragon, unlocking Lower Londo after dropping the water, also making a Divine weapon to venture more into the Catacombs. I think something must have clicked now, since I only put about 7 or 8 hours in and then gave it a break. Now I am on 34 and I have still not scratched the surface.

ParityBit

Upgrade the Claymore or Halberd to +5 and they will hit harder than the Drake Sword. Also the move set is better.

I have not seen the move armor yet.... I have the claymore and halberd though. Still nothing seems to touch the drake yet. At least at the +5 I can get to.

Still nothing seems to touch the drake yet. At least at the +5 I can get to.
Most weapons will surpass the Drake Sword very soon, you will be able to take them to +10. But as Soulhouf said even Claymore, Halberd +5 should be better.

The Crest of Astoria that you bought will also come in handy if you want to explore the Forest too, there's some good armour in there, and it's worth doing the area just before where you use the crest since the boss there is easy souls and there's a very useful item there that comes in handy for the dreaded (*spooky music*)
Capra Demon!

En-ou

ok so after about 17 hrs I have just rung the second bell. is it possible to be too high lvl for the game? I haven't done any farming. or is my sword just too damn powerful? i got the black knight sword from the bastard that raped me when i went to undead burg the first time. have it with +3 buff. cant find any more twinkling things.

I made easy work of every boss thus far except for a few of the earlier ones.
2 shot gaping dragon. 1 shot spider lady. 2 shot the tentacle ruin lava demon. 1 shot giant wolf in darkroot. 2 shot hydra. 2 shot capra demon
(I only died the first time cause I had no idea the fight starts right after entering the fog..lol. most of my deaths now are from rolling off a cliff during fight or getting swarmed by 2-3 enemies.

i don't know if you guys do this but i usually always attack 2 handed. hit Y, attack x1 or x2, hit Y again, shield up. does a ton of damage.

hats off to From Software, didn't know these guys were this talented. everything about this game is just fuckin' ace! sometimes i'm just in awe admiring the environment and massive structures. i want the new Zelda game to be like this.

some 3D shots for who can see: http://photos.3dvisionlive.com/eddiifox/album/50df2b18a3e067f36e000000/

Dresden

Yeah, the Black Knight weapons will carry you through pretty much the whole game if you luck into one. The sword isn't that bad, though.

ok so after about 17 hrs I have just rung the second bell. is it possible to be too high lvl for the game? I haven't done any farming. or is my sword just too damn powerful? i got the black knight sword from the bastard that raped me when i went to undead burg the first time. have it with +3 buff. cant find any more twinkling things.

2 shot gaping dragon. 1 shot spider lady. 2 shot the tentacle ruin lava demon. 1 shot giant wolf in darkroot. 2 shot hydra. 2 shot capra demon
(I only died the first time cause I had no idea the fight starts right after entering the fog..lol. most of my deaths now are from rolling off a cliff during fight or getting swarmed by 2-3 enemies.

i don't know if you guys do this but i usually always attack 2 handed. hit Y, attack x1 or x2, hit Y again, shield up. does a ton of damage.

hats off to From Software, didn't know these guys were this talented. everything about this game is just fuckin' ace! sometimes i'm just in awe admiring the environment and massive structures. i want the new Zelda game to be like this.

some 3D shots for who can see: http://photos.3dvisionlive.com/eddiifox/album/50df2b18a3e067f36e000000/

Yeah that sword is making you go through the game very quickly. I think I was about 30 hours in by the time I got to ring the second bell.

Have a question about leveling. So I'm in Andor Londo, and I'm level 53. Is that too high for this far in the game? I feel like the sword I'm using is the reason why I can 2-shoot most enemies in this area, and not so much the level of my character.

2AdEPT

Yeah that sword is making you go through the game very quickly. I think I was about 30 hours in by the time I got to ring the second bell.

Have a question about leveling. So I'm in Andor Londo, and I'm level 53. Is that too high for this far in the game? I feel like the sword I'm using is the reason why I can 2-shoot most enemies in this area, and not so much the level of my character.

You care correct...the leveling aspect contributes less to your actual damage than the gains you get through advancing weapons. Many of us do SL1 runs where the weaponry carries the player through the whole game. i suggest using a "no upgrades" run in order to fully tax yourself and use various strategies and equipment you would not find necessary through any other mode. The "no upgrade" SL1 run I did is the most memorable I have done to date and made me a waaaay better player as it forced me to play smart and tactically....you end up using things like the power within pyro, red tearstone ring, dusk ring, and the light crossbow, when normally these items are overpowered by other equipment and are redundant...By going SL1 though you limit the various things you can hold (mostly clubs and a couple rapiers) and since no upgrades are allowed it is pretty bare bones...you can find one upgraded club the whole game and it proves useful. Resins are allowed and they become the most valuable resource.

ArynCrinn

Banned
You care correct...the leveling aspect contributes less to your actual damage than the gains you get through advancing weapons. Many of us do SL1 runs where the weaponry carries the player through the whole game. i suggest using a "no upgrades" run in order to fully tax yourself and use various strategies and equipment you would not find necessary through any other mode. The "no upgrade" SL1 run I did is the most memorable I have done to date and made me a waaaay better player as it forced me to play smart and tactically....you end up using things like the power within pyro, red tearstone ring, dusk ring, and the light crossbow, when normally these items are overpowered by other equipment and are redundant...By going SL1 though you limit the various things you can hold (mostly clubs and a couple rapiers) and since no upgrades are allowed it is pretty bare bones...you can find one upgraded club the whole game and it proves useful. Resins are allowed and they become the most valuable resource.

Yeah, the Reinforced Club and Hand Axe become some of the best weapons for a SL1 no upgrade, Bandit Knife too if you want to parry/backstab. I literally spend ALL my souls on resins and materials, and just let the rest go whenever.

Edit: Sorry about the double post, been a tiring day...

Caerith

SL1 makes you a better player even with upgrades. Upgraded Reinforced Club / Hand Axe teaches you to play better, non-upgraded teaches you to play better and effectively use PW and Red Tearstone. Either way, you come out of it with skill.

Arjen

Shoot arrows to reveal the safe walkway. If a arrow can hit it, you can stand on it.

Why...why..why didn't i think of this.
But i got it after throwing a prism stone after every single step.
But at that point Dark Souls decides to troll me further.

spoiled for new players just in case

Me: Yeah, got that blue slab, now to get me that magic weapon achievement!
DaSo: Don't forget the ember bro.
Me: A right, where was that again.
DaSo: You have to defeat Seath first.
Me. ....You mean seath....who i have to keep alive because i want to to cut his tail for the other remaining achievement?

Soulhouf

Yeah that sword is OP. You won't need another weapon for the rest of the game.

Firebrand

Do weapons lose their power gradually as they are worn down so I should repair them as often as possible, or is it just the 0 durability I need to watch out for?

Gritesh

So last night I built
quelaags fury sword
and I'm left feeling underwhelmed, I have the lightning spear +5 and it does more damage than the sword. However it appears that the lightning spear doesn't scale with stats?

I'm SL63 right now and I haven't began dumping points into any particular stat yet, I originally wanted
dragonslayer spear but I killed ornstein first
I am tryin to build a fast attack character that can still wear some decently heavy armor and carry a shield.

Is it worth going dexterity now for my sword or just stick with the spear and go str end?

I still at this level don't feel confident in where to put all my points

Facism

Soul Level 1, en-ou

Working towards that +15 claymore + great Magic Weapon, with +5 lightning Shotel to troll the shield turtlers.

Arjen

darksoulsgts8f.jpg

Whoooooo!
Only the third time i got 1000/1000 in a game, so that's saying something about how much i love it.

Where should I go after
Beating the gargoyle at the top of the church?

Go to the bridge with the Red Dragon, and near the part you found Solaire you'll find a previously unlocked door that you should be able to open with a key you got in the Church.

You can also go to Darkroot, which is harder but you can do it all now.

SJRB

Gold Member
With respect to above poster, I would advice going
into The Depths, for there is an item that would become most useful in Blighttown.

Also, it might be worth running through the earliest sections of the Darkroot Garden and Darkroot Basin several times to farm moss.

Good luck on your travels. You will need it.

The weapon stats are impossible to decipher. Also, incredibly disappointed that enemies respawn as you move from one area to another. It looks like the respawning enemies after you use bonfires isnt a gameplay design choice at all, it's more akin to Farcry 2's inability to handle any sort of respawn timing.

You get everything refreshed when you rest - why wouldnt it be a design choice?

It's not just when you rest. It also happen when you move from 1 area to another. Example, at the early part of the game when the bird drops you off, head up the stairs and throught the little sewer area. This area has a different name. If you travel back down to the original area the bird dropped you off in all the enemies have respawned.

ParityBit

It's not just when you rest. It also happen when you move from 1 area to another. Example, at the early part of the game when the bird drops you off, head up the stairs and throught the little sewer area. This area has a different name. If you travel back down to the original area the bird dropped you off in all the enemies have respawned.

Need Souls! Plus, you left the area. New things come in. I think its a design choice.

Firebrand

Without spoiling too much I'd appreciate someone answering this: Was I not supposed to go to
the Londo ruins
after Undeadburg? I'm trying as much as possible to find my own way but now I've been running around there for hours and after getting to
the guy on the roof who sells curses and the ledge above the blue drake where I find a bow
I can't find a path to progress. I tried shooting at the monster below the ledge but I can't get a clear shot. There's a door by the lift but it's locked (master key?).

I guess I'll go check out the catacombs for a bit.

Soulhouf

Without spoiling too much I'd appreciate someone answering this: Was I not supposed to go to
the Londo ruins
after Undeadburg? I'm trying as much as possible to find my own way but now I've been running around there for hours and after getting to
the guy on the roof who sells curses and the ledge above the blue drake where I find a bow
I can't find a path to progress. I tried shooting at the monster below the ledge but I can't get a clear shot. There's a door by the lift but it's locked (master key?).

I guess I'll go check out the catacombs for a bit.

You can kill the guy who sells the curses and he will drop the key. Or wait to get the Lord Vessel and he will give the key to you.

Firebrand

You can kill the guy who sells the curses and he will drop the key. Or wait to get the Lord Vessel and he will give the key to you.
Huh. I'm supposed to
kill a random NPCs to progress? If not, could you give me a very slight hint where to look? I can imagine there's some shallow water somewhere, but if so I haven't been able to find it.

Tried my hand at the catacombs... welp. Yeah, that place is way harder. Also lost my stuff permanently for the first time... 10K souls. :( :D

edit: Just remembered there's a boss in Undeadburg I haven't killed, I'll try that.

Soulhouf

Huh. I'm supposed to
kill a random NPCs to progress? If not, could you give me a very slight hint where to look? I can imagine there's some shallow water somewhere, but if so I haven't been able to find it.

Tried my hand at the catacombs... welp. Yeah, that place is way harder. Also lost my stuff permanently for the first time... 10K souls. :( :D

edit: Just remembered there's a boss in Undeadburg I haven't killed, I'll try that.

Did you ring the first bell? If yes, then go to the bridge where the Red Wyvern is (in the area where Solaire was) and you will be able to open a door that goes down.

I don't recommend to go to New Londo or the Catacombs right now, it's too early but you can if you want.

ParityBit

Crap!
I attacked the female undead merchant by mistake and she retreated to the back of the room. Now I cant buy anything from her or anything. Am I screwed?

So should I be leveling up my own stats instead of my starting weapons? And how viable is archery? Obviously I wont be able to use it all of the time, but is it useful in the game?

And those weapon stats are completely incomprehensible. OK there a number next to a picture. Look like I don't have enough of that. Now how come I cant find that picture anywhere in my stats? So I just give up on any other weapons and I'm still running around with my starting shield and sword.

Arjen

Crap!
I attacked the female undead merchant by mistake and she retreated to the back of the room. Now I cant buy anything from her or anything. Am I screwed?

Go to oswald in the church where you rang the first bell. You can pay off your sins there

ParityBit

Go to oswald in the church where you rang the first bell. You can pay off your sins there

OK I will do that! Now I found the
Sorcerer and Thief garb. Either of those better than the upgraded starting pyro armor? I'm getting sick of looking at the same clothing. And you didn't mention 15k souls! Haha. Time to grind

Soulhouf

Sorcerer and Thief garb. Either of those better than the upgraded starting pyro armor? I'm getting sick of looking at the same clothing

Armor doesn't matter, put the one that you like. Hell you can even go naked and you won't take much more damage.

Arjen

Sorcerer and Thief garb. Either of those better than the upgraded starting pyro armor? I'm getting sick of looking at the same clothing. And you didn't mention 15k souls! Haha. Time to grind

Sinning doesn't come cheap ;)

Made some real progress today. But why is it that every time I kill another boss, I feel so far away from the end?
Killed the two golden guys at Anor Londo, went back to the firelink shrine and talked to the serpent. Now I have to kill all these guys. Feels like I just started playing the "real" game. Dark Souls problems.

So should I be leveling up my own stats instead of my starting weapons? And how viable is archery? Obviously I wont be able to use it all of the time, but is it useful in the game?

And those weapon stats are completely incomprehensible. OK there a number next to a picture. Look like I don't have enough of that. Now how come I cant find that picture anywhere in my stats? So I just give up on any other weapons and I'm still running around with my starting shield and sword.

I just dont understand this stuff, and I've played almost every major western RPG released in the last 10 years or so. Hells Horses I completed Gothic 3 at as close to 100% as you can get and it was a broken pos.

Look here

http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/WEAPONS

What do the 2 rows of numbers mean? What do the pictures mean. There is nothing in the game that tries to explain these things. How do I judge if my stats are high enough to carry a weapon? Should I spend souls to upgrade my character only enough to carry the weapon I want then spend the rest of the souls to upgrade my weapons? Is archery a realistic option inn this game?

Do weapons break? If you look at the first paragraph on the page I linked to where it says the game wants you to find a weapon that fits you that all sounds great. But not if weapons break. The Steam version doesn't come with a manual and the game does nothing to explain what the stats mean or what the blurry symbols next to them mean.

I just dont understand this stuff, and I've played almost every major western RPG released in the last 10 years or so. Hells Horses I completed Gothic 3 at as close to 100% as you can get and it was a broken pos.

Look here

http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/WEAPONS

What do the 2 rows of numbers mean? What do the pictures mean. There is nothing in the game that tries to explain these things. How do I judge if my stats are high enough to carry a weapon? Should I spend souls to upgrade my character only enough to carry the weapon I want then spend the rest of the souls to upgrade my weapons? Is archery a realistic option inn this game?

Ok take the Dagger in your link (icons are explained at the bottom by the way)

First row of numbers corresponds to the "orange" icons and is how much damage of each type you do. In general, the higher the better (but remember some enemies are strong and weak against each type). Dagger does 56 physical damage. It also has a nice bonus if you score a "critical hit"/backstab. You can see the ghost blade below does 100 damage, so you would think it will be better...more on that later.

Second set of numbers are defense stats. Your dagger will absorb 45% of physical damage if you try to use it as a shield. Obviously this is not a good idea. Some of the bigger swords can be used in this way, but you will still want a shield.

The requirements/stat bonuses boxes are next. Lets look at the dagger. It requires 5 strength and 8 dexterity so you need to be above those. Now look at the letters below. Strength is E and dexterity B. So since B is a "better letter" it means the more points you pump into dexterity, the better your dagger will be. Strength also gets a bonus, but not as good. The ghost blade? It doesn't have a bonus for dexterity. So if you have a high enough dexterity, the bonus you get using a plain dagger may actually make it better then the ghost blade at some point.

What does this mean? Well upgrade yourself to the minimum and if you really like the weapon, you can start pumping up your bonus stats to make it even better. In this example, something like 2 dexterity for every 1 strength might be ok (obviously not worth it for a dagger, but hope you get what I mean).

Do weapons break? If you look at the first paragraph on the page I linked to where it says the game wants you to find a weapon that fits you that all sounds great. But not if weapons break. The Steam version doesn't come with a manual and the game does nothing to explain what the stats mean or what the blurry symbols next to them mean.

Yes weapons "break" but not forever. However early on you will find a merchant who sells you a repair box. This lets you "fix" any weapon or armour at any bonfire. Make sure you grab this and you will never have to worry about it. Going back to our trusty dagger example, you can see the duration of a dagger is 200, the ghost blade 100. 200 is pretty much "will never break" territory. 100 is "possible to break", but unlikely if you take care of it. Generally things only break if you forget to fix them and head out. In other words it will be your own fault. Typically though you have like 10 weapons on you at a time, so it is only really a drama in a boss fight. Note that you can still fix a broken weapon, it will just do no damage until you do.

The most important thing to consider though is finding a weapon with a move set you like. You can only do this by trying it out and being comfortable with it. Once you have something you love? Either upgrade it or find a similar "rare" version that has better stat scaling (no doubt you will change weapons a few times during the game). The good news is at low level stat scaling will not mean much, so there is a lot of scope to play around with all the different toys before you "commit" to a particular path.

Btw bows are very viable and can be quite cheap. Especially early on you will want one around to make certain encounters a lot easier or to draw enemies towards you.

That all makes sense and ties into everything I already know about RPG's. Except the letter grades. I assume lower is better?

But in these screen captures what do the cube that says 22.0 and the icon next to it that says 600 mean?

3fG1W.jpg

NB4ro.jpg

Am I right to assume the only requirement to carrying the weapon is strength(where it says 46)? And to the left of that is a strength icon with a B. Am I correct to assume that every weapon will have 1 or multiple letter ratings here, and whichever is the lowest letter is the attribute that will benefit the weapon the most? So this works just like putting intelligence/strength/agility items on intelligence/strength/agility heroes in Dota 2? Match the attribute to the bonus and the weapon hits harder.

One last question. Can I sell or discard any gear or items I don't want anymore? I couldn't sell anything to the first merchant I met.

Top Bottom