• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

That all makes sense and ties into everything I already know about RPG's. Except the letter grades. I assume lower is better?

Here is another example of what I'm talking about

3fG1W.jpg

NB4ro.jpg

Am I right to assume the only requirement to carrying the weapon is strength(where it says 46)? And to the left of that is a strength icon with a B. Am I correct to assume that every weapon will have 1 or multiple letter ratings here, and whichever is the lowest letter is the attribute that will benefit the weapon the most? So this works just like putting intelligence/strength/agility items on intelligence/strength/agility heroes in Dota 2? Match the attribute to the bonus and the weapon hits harder.

Correct. So needs 46 strength (it is red because you don't have it) and will get better the higher your strength is.

Letters go S > A > B > C ... In Japanese style. Note that B isn't that great considering you need 46 strength to start with (which can be a lot when you will want to raise other stats perhaps)

Note that you can get around this requirement by wielding with two hands (but generally can be tricky/dangerous)

Edit. You can't sell. Much later on there is a limited system but it generally isn't worth the hassle. Just store things away and get your souls from any number of nice grinding points.

Sorry I added this part after you responded.

But in these screen captures what do the cube that says 22.0 and the icon next to it that says 600 mean?

Thank you btw. Yes it all makes sense now especially since I didn't even think about the japanese style of rating things : /

Correct. So needs 46 strength (it is red because you don't have it) and will get better the higher your strength is.

Letters go S > A > B > C ... In Japanese style. Note that B isn't that great considering you need 46 strength to start with (which can be a lot when you will want to raise other stats perhaps)

Note that you can get around this requirement by wielding with two hands (but generally can be tricky/dangerous)

Edit. You can't sell. Much later on there is a limited system but it generally isn't worth the hassle. Just store things away and get your souls from any number of nice grinding points.

So if a really large sword requires strength to be level 26. Does that mean that increasing strength a lot higher will make the sword easier to handle?

Sorry I added this part after you responded.

22.0 is the weight. This big issue with weight is firstly you can only equip so much, but more importantly if you equip over say 'half' of your total weight you will roll really slowly.

So there is a trade off between how much you can wear and how much you can move. Most people find movement is king in the "souls" games (but this is up to your style, just take things on and off till it feels "right").

Things that are low weight and strong (especially armour) are generally the best items to have.

The 600 is the durability. That will drop down to zero (and the temporary "broken" state) as you use it (in this case it is 600/600 so 100% repaired).

So if a really large sword requires strength to be level 26. Does that mean that increasing strength a lot higher will make the sword easier to handle?

If you are under 26, you can use it but it will be like trying to swing a piano around. Not very effective. Once you get to 26 you can use it as normal.
If it scales with strength, increasing your strength from there will allow you to do more damage. Otherwise increasing that stat will do nothing directly.

En-ou

just exited the
giant tree
, and saw
ash lake
for the first time in...holy shit it is breathtaking in 3D! i literally spent 15 mins just walking around and admiring the art/scenery. how long was the development cycle for this game? I would have never thought a studio like From Software could pull off the kind of production values in here.

just exited the
giant tree
, and saw
ash lake
for the first time in...holy shit it is breathtaking in 3D! i literally spent 15 mins just walking around and admiring the art/scenery. how long was the development cycle for this game? I would have never thought a studio like From Software could pull off the kind of production values in here.

One of the best areas in the game...until you realise that you need to
probably climb all the way back up :|

ArynCrinn

Banned
One of the best areas in the game...until you realise that you need to
probably climb all the way back up :|

Climbing out of the tree ain't shit, try climbing back out of TotG after farming White Titanite for some real fun, before getting the Lordvessel of course. You'll never hate Bone Wheels the same way again.

I'm in the Undead Burg, right where the first bonfire is
i bought the repair box and the key to the apartment from the merchant, I'm not going to play any PvP so I dont need Lloyd's talisman. Any reason I shouldnt kill this guy for the sword?

ArynCrinn

Banned
i bought the repair box and the key to the apartment from the merchant, I'm not going to play any PvP so I dont need Lloyd's talisman. Any reason I shouldnt kill this guy for the sword?

If you've bought all the needed items, go for it. In case you're a melee build be sure to buy the Reinforced Club and Hand Axe from him, he's also the only merchant that sells certain items.

FYI, if you're a melee build and want to get the "Magic Weapon" achievement in a practical/useful and accomplished way...buy the Warrior's Round Shield from him. He's the only one that sells it, and it has the 2nd highest magic resistance once fully upgraded on the magic path. It's also extremely light, so it's great for almost any build. I abandoned Havel's Shield for good after discovering this, only problem is the low stability.

2AdEPT

I ti s very important to note that the strength requirement ( and dex or int or faith,) is only the requirement...nothing about increasing the stat actually helps much for anything but the damage mulitiplier for the weapon and ability to hold the weapons.....and in the case of maigic , ability to use certain sorceries and miracles. There are rare points like dex will help casting time for pyro for example...but very rare. Strength is never necessary to get the full max ...I NEVER get the STR requirement...just got the Man serpent great sword....and it is 24 req. but I am two handing it at like 14 or 15. Two handing just takes getting used to...use the triangle button to toggle on or off the two hand with your shield.

Climbing out of the tree ain't shit, try climbing back out of TotG after farming White Titanite for some real fun, before getting the Lordvessel of course. You'll never hate Bone Wheels the same way again.

Very true...although i finally havea few strategiesfor these...I think we already discussed them but make sure to ask if there is anyone that hates bonewheels.

I just killed him on my new character, but I have played over 1500 hours of souls. New people don't realize how deep and meticulously layered the game is and very often obscure shtuff becomes very important later on...since there is no weight burden it is sheer overconfidence at best not to buy everything and keep it all on hand for a rainy day......lloyd's talismans can be used for mobs as well as other players...notice that certian mobs will chug estus (balder knights are annoying when they do this, as are the bigger black iron knights.) Also lloyd's talismans are invaluable when facing a certain mob later in the game...I won't say why, has nothing to do with estus chugging though, but DEFINITELy keep a few on hand at all times. Several other vendors sell these so no worries. I killed the merchant this playthrough but I unlocked a number of passages to new vendors within minutes of doing so.....these shortcuts will not be obvious to you if you are new. I also suggest that you buy as much repair poweder as you can afford...there is never a good time for your weapon to break (as it will break while you are using it obviously) and in the fieldsof battle this stuff is GOLD. Certian weapos that have special magic ability will wear down fast and repair powder is the only way to go in order to keep top durability topped up at all times.

Edit: Happy new Year!!!

Raide

Finally ventured into Sens Fortress....dear god that place is brutal. I need to suck it up more and get in there. Blightown was a cake-walk compared.

Started making a Hunter for the bows and figured out its pretty boring and there are not many bows. From need to make bows more varied and interesting for Dark Souls 2.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
just exited the
giant tree
, and saw
ash lake

With this game and Demon's Souls previous, FROM has shown that they are the studio that people need to catch up to.

Finally ventured into Sens Fortress....dear god that place is brutal. I need to suck it up more and get in there. Blightown was a cake-walk compared.

Started making a Hunter for the bows and figured out its pretty boring and there are not many bows. From need to make bows more varied and interesting for Dark Souls 2.
Popping enemies off from afar with headshots is great fun, damage is higher too for headshots of course. Bows come in handy for poisoning etc. Love me some bows in DS, would love them to make even more types in DS2, not sure how they would do it though.

As for Sen's once you know the layout it's one of the best areas imo, I love running through the place the axes are placed very strategically so you can run through them without stopping if you time it right, very clever of From, fantastic level design.

Raide

Popping enemies off from afar with headshots is great fun, damage is higher too for headshots of course. Bows come in handy for poisoning etc. Love me some bows in DS, would love them to make even more types in DS2, not sure how they would do it though.

As for Sen's once you know the layout it's one of the best areas imo, I love running through the place the axes are placed very strategically so you can run through them without stopping if you time it right, very clever of From, fantastic level design.

I am slowly working out the aiming but its just seems really weird. Something about the slightly up and slightly to the left to hit them feels off. Plus is seems crazy expensive to keep buying more and more arrows.

Maybe having bows have certain move-sets like weapons. Would be nice to have some bow skills like concussion, or pinning an enemy down, or distraction. Would also be nice to have dex speed up bow usage. Damn thing takes ages to pull back. :D

Sen's is an interesting change from the more open maps I have been running around in. Very creepy and the feel of dread is always there. Love and hate the area so far. :D

I am slowly working out the aiming but its just seems really weird. Something about the slightly up and slightly to the left to hit them feels off.
This is why I use the Longbow exclusively. Whenever I try other bows I dislike that too, I can never get used to it.

Still at the first bonfire in the Undead Burg lol. I guess this is a [spoilers]Black Knight[/spoilers] I cant kill. I suppose I dont have to since he is out of the way.

Firebrand

Finally got to experience the legendary frame rates of Blighttown for myself. I guess on the PC you can at least upgrade around it.

Still rocking most of my starter kit of a Broadsword (+5) and Knight armor, with some Balder pieces I found. Finding a lot of leather but very little medium/heavy stuff. Probably should use all the fancier upgrade items (took forever to cut down the
toothy dragon
but can't commit to a weapon yet. Even the claymore and bastard swords feel so slow compared to the broad sword but at the same time I wouldn't mind a little more range.

Kinda amazed I've gotten this far. Everytime I meet a boss I die like instantly and say to myself, "nope, I'm never beating that," yet somehow I do.

(End of Dark Souls diary entry.)

Still at the first bonfire in the Undead Burg lol. I guess this is a
Black Knight
I cant kill. I suppose I dont have to since he is out of the way.
Those are pretty tough, yeah. I found that even as a knight to kill those I had to use
parry + riposte.

JRW

I'm amazed at how difficult this black knight is in my return to the undead asylum, I tried defeating it for nearly 2 hours straight and failed miserably. He just keeps hitting me until I stagger then kills me with 1 hit. if I try to cast fireballs he runs towards me and attacks before I can even get one cast out.

Guess Ill move on to some other area for now lol (Level 32 Pyro w/ Gargoyle Halbred +3, Elite knight armor)

This is my first playthrough is there any glaring issues with my stats?

HCooV.jpg

5eqKD.jpg

I'm amazed at how difficult this black knight is in my return to the undead asylum, I tried defeating it for nearly 2 hours straight and failed miserably. He just keeps hitting me until I stagger then kills me with 1 hit. if I try to cast fireballs he runs towards me and attacks before I can even get one cast out.

Guess Ill move on to some other area for now lol (Level 32 Pyro w/ Gargoyle Halbred +3, Elite knight armor)

This is my first playthrough does anyone see any glaring issues with my stats?

http://i.imgur.com/HCooV.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/5eqKD.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Most places I've read recommend not to upgrade resistance. Other than that, it looks good. I would put more points into vitality. I killed the Knight with even lower stats than you have. The strategy was roll, roll, roll, hit... repeat. Your flames should help you early on when he has his back against you.

[quote="I H8 Memes, post: 45962115"]Do enemies scale with the player or do different types of enemies always have the same stats?[/QUOTE]

My guess is that enemies don't scale. When going back to old areas, my guy can slide it's way through with very little damage taken. That's when you really feel the sense of progression.

This is my guy so far (He looks way Badass):

[IMG]http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/900984163730367987/03A8DA3C9E3C04690B0FC828E3624F7971B3DB27/

Akito

This is my first playthrough does anyone see any glaring issues with my stats?

HCooV.jpg

5eqKD.jpg
Your stats are fine. The black knights are actually pretty easy once you've figured them out. Either strafe around and backstab them to death or you might even consider the parry/riposte tactic if the area is two narrow to move around too much.

Do enemies scale with the player or do different types of enemies always have the same stats?
They only get stronger after every play though.

Soulhouf

@JRW: your build is fine but your weapon is very weak compared to your level. Why don't you up it to +10? Do it and you will see a big improvement.

Spoilers!

What's a good area to tackle after Andor Londo. Today I went into the Darkroot Garden and killed the Hydra and the Butterfly. Found a hidden ladder by the waterfall after killing the Hydra, and followed it until this area with some "rolling" cats that kicked the shit out of me. After that, I tried the Vally of the Drakes, and pretty much had to spend 2-3 flasks per Drake, so I didn't try again. Finally I tried taking the elevator by the Firelink shrine, and went to the ruins only to find some ghosts I can't damage.

I might try the area with the giant cats again. Also, why isn't the blacksmith upgrading the weapons past level 10?

Spoilers!

What's a good area to tackle after Andor Londo. Today I went into the Darkroot Garden and killed the Hydra and the Butterfly. Found a hidden ladder by the waterfall after killing the Hydra, and followed it until this area with some "rolling" cats that kicked the shit out of me. After that, I tried the Vally of the Drakes, and pretty much had to spend 2-3 flasks per Drake, so I didn't try again. Finally I tried taking the elevator by the Firelink shrine, and went to the ruins only to find some ghosts I can't damage.

I might try the area with the giant cats again. Also, why isn't the blacksmith upgrading the weapons past level 10?

1) the cats won't
leave past a certain area. they cant fit through the trees hint hint. if you keep following this path you will come across a boss that drops something necessary for another boss. did you buy the crest from andre the smith for 20k souls?

2) valley of the drakes should be done
AFTER you defeat the forest boss and the boss that requires this. *hint* ghosts can only be hurt by people that are cursed or use this http://darksouls.wikidot.com/transient-curse

3) you need an ember to upgrade weapons past 10. consequently found in
the area with ghosts

1) the cats won't
leave past a certain area. they cant fit through the trees hint hint. if you keep following this path you will come across a boss that drops something necessary for another boss. did you buy the crest from andre the smith for 20k souls?

2) valley of the drakes should be done
AFTER you defeat the forest boss and the boss that requires this. *hint* ghosts can only be hurt by people that are cursed or use this http://darksouls.wikidot.com/transient-curse

3) you need an ember to upgrade weapons past 10. consequently found in
the area with ghosts

Thanks mesmer. Went to the Duke's Archives and
got my ass handed to me by the two armored tusks. I'll try the forest again tomorrow.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Hey guys, how do I go about accessing the DLC areas? I think I've done everything I can save for delivering the four souls to the Lordvessel (I've already acquired them). Dunno if that's the point of no return, so I'm staying away from the final section of the game until I've done nearly everything I can.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Hey guys, how do I go about accessing the DLC areas? I think I've done everything I can save for delivering the four souls to the Lordvessel (I've already acquired them). Dunno if that's the point of no return, so I'm staying away from the final section of the game until I've done nearly everything I can.

Be sure you've got the Broken Pendant in your inventory (you get it from the first Blue Golem in Duke's). Then go back to where you saved Dusk from the Golden Golem. You'll figure out the rest.

MrOogieBoogie

Be sure you've got the Broken Pendant in your inventory (you get it from the first Blue Golem in Duke's). Then go back to where you saved Dusk from the Golden Golem. You'll figure out the rest.

Ah, thanks a bunch.

Just defeated the Sanctuary Guardian. Great boss; one of the best in the game.

Facism

had a great coop experience today. Helped a guy out with Gaping Dragon whilst farming a bit of humanity and shards, then pissed off to blighttown to see if I could get summoned by anyone who needed a bit of help against Queslag. Turned out to be the guy i helped earlier with the gaping dragon.

After that, made my way back to sen's fortress to finally hit Anor Londo. Before making the trip, i placed my summon sign, thinking i'll give it a few minutes to see if anyone needs a hand with the Iron Golem. Pretty much 5 seconds after placing it, i get summoned, it was the guy i've helped with the previous 2 bosses. Good times.

Couldn't stay away from sorcery. On the PS3 i was primarily sorcery based with quick, light weapons and armour. This playthrough i started out going melee tank, but felt it was a little too flat, so started putting a few points into sorcery for magic wep/great magic wep/crsyal magic wep etc. Using a claymore and a shotel, baldur sheild and elite set. Working out pretty well so far. especially the shotel in PVP. Confuses some people when i'm in close and switch from the claymore to the shotel and damage them through their sheilds.

had a great coop experience today. Helped a guy out with Gaping Dragon whilst farming a bit of humanity and shards, then pissed off to blighttown to see if I could get summoned by anyone who needed a bit of help against Queslag. Turned out to be the guy i helped earlier with the gaping dragon.

After that, made my way back to sen's fortress to finally hit Anor Londo. Before making the trip, i placed my summon sign, thinking i'll give it a few minutes to see if anyone needs a hand with the Iron Golem. Pretty much 5 seconds after placing it, i get summoned, it was the guy i've helped with the previous 2 bosses. Good times.

Couldn't stay away from sorcery. On the PS3 i was primarily sorcery based with quick, light weapons and armour. This playthrough i started out going melee tank, but felt it was a little too flat, so started putting a few points into sorcery for magic wep/great magic wep/crsyal magic wep etc. Using a claymore and a shotel, baldur sheild and elite set. Working out pretty well so far. especially the shotel in PVP. Confuses some people when i'm in close and switch from the claymore to the shotel and damage them through their sheilds.

O_O He was a pro to make that much progress all in one go.

JRW

Most places I've read recommend not to upgrade resistance. Other than that, it looks good. I would put more points into vitality. I killed the Knight with even lower stats than you have. The strategy was roll, roll, roll, hit... repeat. Your flames should help you early on when he has his back against you.

Your stats are fine. The black knights are actually pretty easy once you've figured them out. Either strafe around and backstab them to death or you might even consider the parry/riposte tactic if the area is two narrow to move around too much.

@JRW: your build is fine but your weapon is very weak compared to your level. Why don't you up it to +10? Do it and you will see a big improvement.

Well I took a break and finally defeated him after figuring out how to backstab (got him 3 times), For some reason I was under the impression you could only backstab during a sneak attack and not during combat.

Now Im working on getting my Axe reinforced further.

Thanks for all the replies!

MrOogieBoogie

So my currents stats are as follows (SL85):

Vitality: 40
Attunement: 8
Endurance: 40
Strength: 27
Dexterity: 23
Resistance: 11
Intelligence: 9
Faith: 9

I'll only be upgrading DEX from here on out until I hit 40. Originally thought about doing a STR build, but had a change of mind and now I'm going with a quality build.

That said, what's the best bow to use? I hear it really comes down to the Composite Bow and the Black Bow of Pharis. Which one would you recommend for me? And what upgrade path would you recommend? And arrows?

Thanks.

Soulhouf

So my currents stats are as follows (SL85):

Vitality: 40
Attunement: 8
Endurance: 40
Strength: 27
Dexterity: 23
Resistance: 11
Intelligence: 9
Faith: 9

I'll only be upgrading DEX from here on out until I hit 40. Originally thought about doing a STR build, but had a change of mind and now I'm going with a quality build.

That said, what's the best bow to use? I hear it really comes down to the Composite Bow and the Black Bow of Pharis. Which one would you recommend for me? And what upgrade path would you recommend? And arrows?

Thanks.

Dragon Slayer Great Bow/Gough Great Bow are the best for your build.
If you want a light one for dex, the Black Bow of Pharis is the best. Composite Bow is really bad if you shoot from a long distance unless you use the Hawk Ring. But with the Hawk Ring the BBoP is even better so it's the light bow of choice for a dex build.

ElFly

I've played through this game like a dozen of times and only saw those fucking cats in my last PTD playthrough.

Nearly shat my pants once they started hitting me super hard. Just ran away like a Sir Robin.

I've played through this game like a dozen of times and only saw those fucking cats in my last PTD playthrough.

Nearly shat my pants once they started hitting me super hard. Just ran away like a Sir Robin.

Those cats are nightmarish. Harder than Ornstein & Smough and the Capra Demon, to me.

Raide

Started a Cleric to try out Lightning Bolt...damn that thing is fun. :D Wondering if I should still keep pushing Faith or start getting the STR, END and VIT up.

Sounds funny but Dark Souls is the game I wanted Diablo 3 to be. Great combat, great story and a reason to actually roll the same class over and over, just to try out new builds.

Seanspeed

Banned
How often can I expected to get
toxin'd down in Blighttown
? That shit is horrible. I went up and bought 4 of the item that cures it, but will that be enough?

? That shit is horrible. I went up and bought 4 of the item that cures it, but will that be enough?

You mean cursed? That only happened to me in The Great Hollow, and only because I was real sloppy and careless. In about 20+ trips down the tree, I only got cursed twice. On the other hand, I found that getting poisoned by enemies and by walking in the swamp wasn't so bad. If you have enough vitality and appropriate gear, you can wait till the poison disappears and drink an estus flask. Toxic was much worse in the areas with lots of dart-throwing enemies.

Arjen

The guys that cause it don't respawn, so that helps, I think 4 should be enough for toxic

Seanspeed

Banned
I was
cursed down in the Depths a couple times, but dealt with it
. But now I just beat
the Gaping Dragon and am on my way to Blighttown but like the 2nd new enemy, not the big hulking dudes, but these smaller faster guys(didn't get a good look at them) toxin'd me. One of them like jumped on me and bit me or something. Just wanted to know if I'm gonna fighting a lot of them or something? I can deal with poison alright, but toxin is pretty brutal.

Firebrand

Gaaah. Whoever designed Blighttown is a sadist.
Toxicity which I can't cure (found a spell but can't use it), some areas I can't reach without wading through poison liquid, and the bugs that are difficulty to target and go through solid geometry
. Should have stocked up on arrows. I figured with the constant HP drain I'd need more flasks, so I unhollowed and kindled... this was a dumb thing to do before retrieving my body as someone immediately invaded. I probably could have beaten him if it hadn't been for the flying mobs that kept following us.

Working on the
spider witch
right now, I've learned to dodge most of her attacks pretty easily now but it's that AoE thing that gets me everytime.

What's the orange glow that sometimes appear around me, is that what's adding flasks above my current limit?

Top Bottom