• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

yamo

How often can I expected to get
toxin'd down in Blighttown
? That shit is horrible. I went up and bought 4 of the item that cures it, but will that be enough?

Just kill all the dart blowers then you don't have to worry about getting toxicated anymore, as they don't re-spawn.

SJRB

Gold Member
How often can I expected to get
toxin'd down in Blighttown
? That shit is horrible. I went up and bought 4 of the item that cures it, but will that be enough?

This is probably too late, but a solid strategy is to farm
moss in the Darkroot Garden before venturing into Blighttown. The tree-like enemies have huge drop rates on them

Also -
Spider
Shield has a great toxin resistance.

Man I just cant make any progress at all past the first bonfire in the undead burg. Can't get past the
black knight or the lizard
. Guess I should just spend some time next to the bonfire farming souls then
kill the merchant for his katana and level it up
and see how that works.

On the plus side I can now easily kill every other enemy in the area and take almost no damage.

SJRB

Gold Member
Man I just cant make any progress at all past the first bonfire in the undead burg. Can't get past the
and see how that works.

On the plus side I can now easily kill every other enemy in the area and take almost no damage.

What
lizard
, good sir?

yamo

and see how that works.

Just skip the
black knight
for now if he is too hard. You can easily come back later and get him when you are stronger.

Seanspeed

Banned
This is probably too late, but a solid strategy is to farm
moss in the Darkroot Garden before venturing into Blighttown. The tree-like enemies have huge drop rates on them

Also -
Spider
Shield has a great toxin resistance.
Not too late at all, and good advice. I was thinking of taking a trip to
the garden
before venturing further anyways. Thanks.

and see how that works.

Black Knight is tough but also optional, you can just come back later

Not sure what
lizard
you're talking about, though. I'd speculate, but I wouldn't want to spoil anything if I guess wrong.

What
lizard
, good sir?

The wiki says he is called the
Taurus Demon.
Messages on the ground said something about a lizard so thats why I called him a lizard.

Problem is that as far as I can see these are the only 2 directions I can go up here. And both have difficult fights. Maybe double back to where the bird dropped me off and work around in there?

Ok so I'm getting major pissed with trying to solo O&S (SL25 dex character haven't played in a while) so it reminded me about the advice "stay between two pillars" I've read about a lot in this thread.

Anyone care to elaborate or provide some video material on that since I just don't get it.

Thanks

Taurus Demon.
Messages on the ground said something about a lizard so thats why I called him a lizard.

Problem is that as far as I can see these are the only 2 directions I can go up here. And both have difficult fights. Maybe double back to where the bird dropped me off and work around in there?

This guy destroyed me quite a few times until I tried a different approach.

hint:
Try a ranged battle. You should have access to some items that can help you. You can buy them from the merchant at the Undead Burg.

SJRB

Gold Member
Taurus Demon.

There is an item you probably have aquired by now that might help you:
Gold Pine Resin. It adds an electricity buff on your weapon for a short period.

Assuming you are a melee-based character, here's a short rundown on the Taurus Demon:

After you enter the fog gate, go straight up the tower and kill the two archers. After that, go back down and trigger the fight. Quickly hurry back up the tower, use the gold pine resin and quickly do a falling lunge attack similar to what you did to the demon in the Undead Asylum. It will do massive damage.
Now here's the tricky part: you have to run along the wall and lure the Demon away from the tower. Then roll past him and run back to the tower, climb up, wait for him and drop down again. Rinse and repeat. Your pine resin effect is probably over after the first drop, but this is a solid strategy to beating him.

Truth be told this is the first REAL challenge this game throws at your way, it's hard and you need a bit of luck. But with above strategy you should be able to do it.

Another strategy is
firebombing. But it's costly and requires you to constantly roll past him and through his attacks. It's risky.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I just got the following message as I launched the game:

"Steam was unable to sync your files for Dark Souls with the Steam Cloud."

I believe it's because my Internet disconnected during my last game session and I was forced into offline mode. I'm not screwed, right? I really don't wanna lose progress.

I just got the following message as I launched the game:

"Steam was unable to sync your files for Dark Souls with the Steam Cloud."

I believe it's because my Internet disconnected during my last game session and I was forced into offline mode. I'm not screwed, right? I really don't wanna lose progress.

I dont think Dark Souls even has Steam cloud integrations, weird you would get the message.

Either way, you should be using the save backup option in Durante's fix.

For the people suggesting ranged combat, I'm using kbam for the game and I will be damned if I can figure out how to aim a crossbow. Holding it in both hands and trying right click, guard, parry, run button, pretty much everything, and all it ever does is shoot arrows automatically.

For the people suggesting ranged combat, I'm using kbam for the game and I will be damned if I can figure out how to aim a crossbow. Holding it in both hands and trying right click, guard, parry, run button, pretty much everything, and all it ever does is shoot arrows automatically.

How?

Firebrand

I don't think you can aim the crossbow other than what you can accomplish with the third person camera or the lock-on. You can get a bow from the merchant though, that lets you aim freely.

Arjen

Here's a sneaky way to deal with toxic if you're out off moss.
Use dung pies, they will toxic you, but that toxic is not nearly as strong as the blowdart toxic. The good thing is, because you already have a form.of toxic, you can't get the blowdart kind.

QDBtt.gif

Soulhouf

Do I need to make a video of me playing Dark Souls with kbam for you fools like I had to with Batman?!

Your posts don't give the impression you're comfortable with that setting. The game isn't optimized to be played with kbam.

The good point is that when you will switch to a controller the game will become much easier and playable.

Seanspeed

Banned
Here's a sneaky way to deal with toxic if you're out off moss.
Use dung pies, they will toxic you, but that toxic is not nearly as strong as the blowdart toxic. The good thing is, because you already have a form.of toxic, you can't get the blowdart kind.
Good last resort, thanks.

Well I dont own a controller so I guess the chances of me switching are 0%

And even though nobody asked for it I'm making that video for you guys right now. And you will watch it!!

Well I dont own a controller so I guess the chances of me switching are 0%

And even though nobody asked for it I'm making that video for you guys right now. And you will watch it!!

Must resist avatar quote.

If you finish the game with m&k, you will be a god if you ever get to play it with the controller. If you have local used game shop in town, you can score a wired 360 controller on the cheap. I got mine brand new for $30 at amazon, so keep an eye on the deals if you ever decide to get one.

dark souls mmorpg. what say you?

See my previous post, as it applies here. The main aspect that makes this a unique experience is that you are alone in the world. I just can't see the mechanic of having the mechanics of Dark Souls working with a group of people. You will all be rage quitting in unison. :p

Playing Dark Souls. Recording in this game dropped my fps to about 25 so it's a little janky. And I must have missed a setting in Vdub because the upload looks to be about 15 fps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAuuxNjB_8o

Bonus footage. Batman AA at 60fps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4fsm2g362o

The horror, the horror. lol You seem to be doing a hell of a lot better kicking enemies than I am. I just can't pull that move. Playing with the controller removes that sudden jank caused by the mouse.

Sullichin

Playing Dark Souls. Recording in this game dropped my fps to about 25 so it's a little janky. And I must have missed a setting in Vdub because the upload looks to be about 15 fps.

Your problem isn't that you're playing with kb&m... it's that you're over 50% equip burden and can't roll. I would take off some armor, the extra mobility will help you more than a small defense increase armor would provide.

I have beaten Sif before but never have I felt as bad as I did when I defeated him this time. :( Those last hits were really difficult, not difficult as in I could'n hit him but because I did not want to.
Never have I beaten a boss and felt guilty about it as I did today.

Your problem isn't that you're playing with kb&m... it's that you're over 50% equip burden and can't roll. I would take off some armor, the extra mobility will help you more than a small defense increase armor would provide.

Thats just for the early area where i usually switch to a wooden shield and a weaker mace to save the condition of the sword and shield you see me using. When I get further along I remove the wooden shield and mace from their slots.

I have beaten Sif before but never have I felt as bad as I did when I defeated him this time. :( Those last hits were really difficult, not difficult as in I could'n hit him but because I did not want to.

I don't know if you have played Demon's Souls, but there is a boss there almost on the same level. I hate killing that boss, but Sif, yes, was something more.

chunk3rvd

I'm getting a new laptop delivered tomorrow. Nothing too fancy - i3 2.4 GHz, 6 GB ram and a 1GB 630M. I'm not expecting anything special but is there any chance I'll be able to run this in some fashion?

I already have the PS3 version but would happily double dip if it meant I could play Dark Souls in my gf's at the weekend or on my lunch break in work!

I'm getting a new laptop delivered tomorrow. Nothing too fancy - i3 2.4 GHz, 6 GB ram and a 1GB 630M. I'm not expecting anything special but is there any chance I'll be able to run this in some fashion?

I already have the PS3 version but would happily double dip if it meant I could play Dark Souls in my gf's at the weekend or on my lunch break in work!

I'm running Dark Souls in an ancient Core 2 Duo overclocked to 3.3GHz and a 560Ti card. I can run it at double my native resolution of 1440x900 with durante's fix. If you don't go crazy overboard with the resolution you should be able to run it fine with that setup.

Sajjaja

I'm guessing you never played SOTC. The music after you beat a boss makes you feel like an asshole D:

Yeah and that Demon's Souls boss.....probably one of the best songs in a game ever.

chunk3rvd

I'm running Dark Souls in an ancient Core 2 Duo overclocked to 3.3GHz and a 560Ti card. I can run it at double my native resolution of 1440x900 with durante's fix. If you don't go crazy overboard with the resolution you should be able to run it fine with that setup.

Should only be running at 720p on the screen or through the tv so that's good news! It appears to be on Steam for half price today as well (£14.99) so I hope the price holds till I get home from work tomorrow. Does it ever go cheaper than that elsewhere?

Edit: Just seen that the PtD edition is going for £14.99 on Zavvi and includes an art book, making of DVD etc. Think I will just wait for that and hope Zavvi's shit postage doesn't fuck me over. Will go nicely next to my PS3 limited edition

Should only be running at 720p on the screen or through the tv so that's good news! It appears to be on Steam for half price today as well (£14.99) so I hope the price holds till I get home from work tomorrow. Does it ever go cheaper than that elsewhere?

Edit: Just seen that the PtD edition is going for £14.99 on Zavvi and includes an art book, making of DVD etc. Think I will just wait for that and hope Zavvi's shit postage doesn't fuck me over. Will go nicely next to my PS3 limited edition

It's $17.99 USD at amazon.com. If you bought a downloadable game on Amazon in the past month, you get a $5 coupon. Some people in other countries are getting around that restriction by creating fake U.S. addresses. I don't know if the promotion is valid in the U.K.

Seanspeed

Banned

You said you can defeat all the enemies around there just fine. Which means you're ready for either enemy. Its just a matter of learning how to beat them. Some good strategies were listed for your
lizard
problem, which is what you need to do to continue on in the game basically. Might just take a few more tries.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Made a lot of progress today:

- Defeated Artorias the Abysswalker (toughest boss I've faced in the game), Manus, Father of the Abyss, Black Dragon Kalameet, Stray Demon, and the dragon on the bridge in Undead Parish
- Was invaded for the first time in 40 hours of gameplay, and managed to hide behind a corner on a narrow staircase, surprising the intruder with a two-handed attack that knocked him off the ledge
- Finally obtained the Rusted Iron Ring, Wolf Ring, and Drake Sword lol
- Located the last area I've yet to explore: Painted World of Ariamis

That's where I am now. I don't understand why the developers made such a gorgeous location optional. If I were them I'd force every player to marvel at my artistry. :p

The last thing I have left after
Painted World of Ariamis
is activating the
Lordvessel and heading toward the final location/boss

Current stats:

Level: 92

Vitality: 40
Attunement: 8
Endurance: 40
Strength: 27
Dexterity: 30
Resistance: 11
Intelligence: 9
Faith: 9

Man-serpent Greatsword +15
Black Bow of Pharis +12
Hollow Soldier Shield +10

Wolf Ring + Ring of Steel Protection

Equip load is less than 25% of my total, so I've got quick roll going on. Love how mobile my character is now compared to when I first started. :)

ijed

That's not the lizard
try smashing some barrels before entering the fog door
As for the boss ... well you didn't do the Asylum Demon the correct way so you didn't learn about an essential attack that would be very helpful in this situation....

Seanspeed

Banned
I know a lot of people say not to use a guide, but one of them just saved my butt. Got all the way to the bottom of
Blighttown, had no estus flasks left, was frantically trying to stay alive, not poison myself too much, and hopefully, HOPEFULLY find some refuge. I went to this anthill looking thing and that was Quelegg's Domain, but it had warning signs for a boss so I was about to cry as it was a long trip down and I had like 15,000 souls. I just HAD to check a guide to see if there was a bonfire I missed and sure enough there was. Thank god! Feel very good right now! Blighttown was pretty tough but it luckily only took me one death. Also looks fantastic at the bottom looking up.

I know a lot of people say not to use a guide, but one of them just saved my butt. Got all the way to the bottom of
Blighttown, had no estus flasks left, was frantically trying to stay alive, not poison myself too much, and hopefully, HOPEFULLY find some refuge. I went to this anthill looking thing and that was Quelegg's Domain, but it had warning signs for a boss so I was about to cry as it was a long trip down and I had like 15,000 souls. I just HAD to check a guide to see if there was a bonfire I missed and sure enough there was. Thank god! Feel very good right now! Blighttown was pretty tough but it luckily only took me one death. Also looks fantastic at the bottom looking up.

How can you find that bonfire easily without signs or randomly running close to it. There's no way. I had to look at the guide after dying about 10 times. It makes me feel guilty, but screw it. I gave it an honest effort to find it on my own.

On other news, I didn't make much progress today. Finally got to the Root Garden boss.
Lost 22k souls because I got cocky and decided to fight him. I did get within one hit of killing him in the first try. The second try was a complete failure. I wish there was a closer bonfire.

En-ou

Anyone on PC playing this in 3d?

i am. it is a sight to behold!

so someone invaded my game and gave me like 100 lost souls of great soldier or something, 5 sif soul, 5 butterfly soul, 5 iron golem soul, 22 humanity...what gives? i had no idea you could give human players stuff.

btw, can i help a friend on a boss if i havent defeated the boss yet?

Beat him. He got cheap a couple of times and knocked me over a ledge right before i was going to last hit him. Coward.

So how do I level up my weapons? I haven't used souls to actually upgrade anything yet. Not my stats or my weapons. I don't really see any weapons I have so far that are worth upgrading except this warriors round shield.

Beat him. He got cheap a couple of times and knocked me over a ledge right before i was going to last hit him. Coward.

So how do I level up my weapons? I haven't used souls to actually upgrade anything yet. Not my stats or my weapons. I don't really see any weapons I have so far that are worth upgrading except this warriors round shield.

You need to find a blacksmith. Vitality and endurance are always good stats to upgrade.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Ideally you should seek out a shield that offers 100% damage reduction if you plan on using one.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Ideally you should seek out a shield that offers 100% damage reduction if you plan on using one.

Honestly a 95% damage reduction shield with 70-ish stability is enough to clear NG+ with some skill. So basically a upgraded Grass Crest all the way home, I rarely actually use a shield anymore though. Crest Shield/Tower Kite have great stats for a good weight and stability too.

2AdEPT

re-rolled tonight and was prepared to use saves to get the BKH and the BKGS...got both first try with all 5 humanity from early game (including the one in the
drakes
)...and even though I was not trying to get it, a helper phantom killed my BK in the berg and the BKS came up as well. I made sure I got to 22 strenght to be able to two hand these babaies....so heavy for a low endurance fresh character though. Still feels nice one shotting everything for a change early game. This character will be all melee for sure.

Top Bottom