• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Thats just for the early area where i usually switch to a wooden shield and a weaker mace to save the condition of the sword and shield you see me using. When I get further along I remove the wooden shield and mace from their slots.
You can repair items and it's rather cheap to do so, so I wouldn't worry about the condition of your equipment - use the best you have/what suits your playstyle.

Soulhouf

re-rolled tonight and was prepared to use saves to get the BKH and the BKGS...got both first try with all 5 humanity from early game (including the one in the
drakes
)...and even though I was not trying to get it, a helper phantom killed my BK in the berg and the BKS came up as well. I made sure I got to 22 strenght to be able to two hand these babaies....so heavy for a low endurance fresh character though. Still feels nice one shotting everything for a change early game. This character will be all melee for sure.

I did the same thing 2 days ago. I picked a warrior and I wasn't sure what I was going to do with him. But when the first BK dropped his sword I immediately decided to make a "quality" character.
It's insane how the first half of the game become easy that way. I'm already in Anor Londo with my BK Sword+2.

ParityBit

I did the same thing 2 days ago. I picked a warrior and I wasn't sure what I was going to do with him. But when the first BK dropped his sword I immediately decided to make a "quality" character.
It's insane how the first half of the game become easy that way. I'm already in Anor Londo with my BK Sword+2.

I killed a BK and nothing dropped (the first one you meet) Is there no way to get a drop now that he's gone?

i am. it is a sight to behold!

It really is! I have one issues though. When I target lock a creature, my circle moves up to my hp bar rather than the monster. Do you have this issues? It makes targeting multiple monsters really tough when I do not know which I am locked on visually.

Seanspeed

Banned
How can you find that bonfire easily without signs or randomly running close to it. There's no way. I had to look at the guide after dying about 10 times. It makes me feel guilty, but screw it. I gave it an honest effort to find it on my own.
No need to feel guilty on that, man.

I killed a BK and nothing dropped (the first one you meet) Is there no way to get a drop now that he's gone?
Yea, he's gone forever. Just gotta get lucky. I didn't get anything either.

Mort

Banned

It really is! I have one issues though. When I target lock a creature, my circle moves up to my hp bar rather than the monster. Do you have this issues? It makes targeting multiple monsters really tough when I do not know which I am locked on visually.

The final level of the game has Black Knights that respawn where you can farm them until you get the drops.

There are also two other black knights of the same type, giving you two more chances to get the drop.

I really recommend that you have at least one humanity used before taking one of these guys on.

ParityBit

The final level of the game has Black Knights that respawn where you can farm them until you get the drops.

There are also two other black knights of the same type, giving you two more chances to get the drop.

I really recommend that you have at least one humanity used before taking one of these guys on.

Oh that's good to know! Thanks :)

By using humanity do you mean become human first?

Seanspeed

Banned
Ugh, then I get invaded! But I could do that. I know of "another BK" I can hit up. But I do not know if I will be able to kill him like I did this one!
Well hold on....

Nope. You just need to make sure that you have at least one in the counter by your health and stamina.
So you dont need to be human to get the drop increase? Just have active humanity?

I might have just misunderstood the whole system.

Arjen

As far as i know you just need humanity in your counter, think it can be done as hollow as well. You can easily check in your stats though.

re-rolled tonight and was prepared to use saves to get the BKH and the BKGS...got both first try with all 5 humanity from early game (including the one in the
drakes
)...and even though I was not trying to get it, a helper phantom killed my BK in the berg and the BKS came up as well. I made sure I got to 22 strenght to be able to two hand these babaies....so heavy for a low endurance fresh character though. Still feels nice one shotting everything for a change early game. This character will be all melee for sure.
i did the same thing on my current no-shield run, deciding to just use the first BK weapon i got. the BKH just destroys everything so easily.

Facism

Well hold on....

So you dont need to be human to get the drop increase? Just have active humanity?

afaik, the max increase you can get without the Gold Serpent ring is 210? this can be achieved as either hollow or human with humanity in your counter.

Yep. 10 Humanity IIRC.

Also, I never knew Sif acted all hurt and stuff towards the end of the fight until I went to the Internet. And I beat him three times!

Booshka

So my currents stats are as follows (SL85):

Vitality: 40
Attunement: 8
Endurance: 40
Strength: 27
Dexterity: 23
Resistance: 11
Intelligence: 9
Faith: 9

I'll only be upgrading DEX from here on out until I hit 40. Originally thought about doing a STR build, but had a change of mind and now I'm going with a quality build.

That said, what's the best bow to use? I hear it really comes down to the Composite Bow and the Black Bow of Pharis. Which one would you recommend for me? And what upgrade path would you recommend? And arrows?

Thanks.

Composite Bow +15, it will do a ton of damage with a 27/40 Quality build. You can make up for the lack of shot range with Feather Arrows and the Hawk Ring if necessary. Use Large Arrows for most encounters, then switch to Feather for range, use Hawk ring and Feather arrows and you can snipe very effectively. Black Bow is only good if you want some ridiculous sniping, otherwise, Composite bow will best it with the split scaling with a Quality build. Composite Bow also fires much quicker. With a Quality build, every weapon should be upgraded normally, even ones with bad scaling grades.

Soulhouf

Composite Bow +15, it will do a ton of damage with a 27/40 Quality build. You can make up for the lack of shot range with Feather Arrows and the Hawk Ring if necessary. Use Large Arrows for most encounters, then switch to Feather for range, use Hawk ring and Feather arrows and you can snipe very effectively. Black Bow is only good if you want some ridiculous sniping, otherwise, Composite bow will best it with the split scaling with a Quality build. Composite Bow also fires much quicker. With a Quality build, every weapon should be upgraded normally, even ones with bad scaling grades.

I need numbers.
All the comparisons I did made the composite bow looks miserable compared to the others (BBoP, Long Bow, Dragon Slayer Great Bow) with 27 str and 40 dex. It becomes good with feather arrows and hawk ring but the others become even stronger with that...

The only case where it makes really difference is in PvP when the host tries to chug an estus, you finish him quickly with the composite bow since he can't be too far.

Booshka

I need numbers.
All the comparisons I did made the composite bow looks miserable compared to the others (BBoP, Long Bow, Dragon Slayer Great Bow) with 27 str and 40 dex. It becomes good with feather arrows and hawk ring but the others become even stronger with that...

The only case where it makes really difference is in PvP when the host tries to chug an estus, you finish him quickly with the composite bow since he can't be too far.

I can tell you right now, I have the Black Bow of Pharis +15 and Composite Bow +15 on a 28/40 build. With Large Arrow equipped, the Black Bow of Pharis has an AR of 408, while the Composite has an AR of 439. Feather arrows it is 380 to 417, respectively. The weapon upgrade/scaling breakdown is where the difference is apparent. The Black Bow has a much lower base damage rating at +15 (85), with extremely high scaling numbers (295) with S scaling in Dex and E in Str. The Composite bow has a higher base damage rating at 137, and with C Scaling in both Strength and Dexterity the scaling equals to 280. Remember all of these numbers are based off a 28/40 build, and I only went to 28 Strength for the Murakumo and Greatsword, it doesn't really effect the damage in either bows.

Gough's Greatbow even has a lower AR than Black Bow and Composite, but it has stronger arrows that supplement the damage. It's not really necessary to compare the greatbows with regular bows since there is such a disparity in weight. Trust me, I and many others have been using the Composite bow for a while now on Quality builds, and nothing beats it. Try it out yourself.

Soulhouf

I can tell you right now, I have the Black Bow of Pharis +15 and Composite Bow +15 on a 28/40 build. With Large Arrow equipped, the Black Bow of Pharis has an AR of 408, while the Composite has an AR of 439. Feather arrows it is 380 to 417, respectively. The weapon upgrade/scaling breakdown is where the difference is apparent. The Black Bow has a much lower base damage rating at +15 (85), with extremely high scaling numbers (295) with S scaling in Dex and E in Str. The Composite bow has a higher base damage rating at 137, and with C Scaling in both Strength and Dexterity the scaling equals to 280. Remember all of these numbers are based off a 28/40 build, and I only went to 28 Strength for the Murakumo and Greatsword, it doesn't really effect the damage in either bows.

Gough's Greatbow even has a lower AR than Black Bow and Composite, but it has stronger arrows that supplement the damage. It's not really necessary to compare the greatbows with regular bows since there is such a disparity in weight. Trust me, I and many others have been using the Composite bow for a while now on Quality builds, and nothing beats it. Try it out yourself.

AR doesn't mean much when it comes to bows. I was also amazed by Composite Bow's AR at first but when I began comparing damage on enemies, that glow in my eyes immediately faded away and BBoP was making more damage with 27 str and 40 dex and the difference is more dramatic the farther the enemy. This is the biggest difference between Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. Damage is not calculated the same way when it comes to bows.

I agree, Great Bows don't compare with the others but still, if you have the stats why not use them to do more damage?

Edit: let me bring my current character to the desired stats (I lost my previous quality character) and I will do a recap table with damage made on enemies at various distance with these bows.

Booshka

AR doesn't mean much when it comes to bows. I was also amazed by Composite Bow's AR at first but when I began comparing damage on enemies, that glow in my eyes immediately faded away and BBoP was making more damage with 27 str and 40 dex and the difference is more dramatic the farther the enemy. This is the biggest difference between Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. Damage is not calculated the same way when it comes to bows.

I agree, Great Bows don't compare with the others but still, if you have the stats why not use them to do more damage?

Edit: let me bring my current character to the desired stats (I lost my previous quality character) and I will do a recap table with damage made on enemies at various distance with these bows.

I just got done shooting a bunch of Township dudes with both bows, and Composite netted more damage, I know the AR can lie to you, but you wanted numbers so I gave you numbers. I've probably played this game as much or more than you have, so I know of course not to trust a stat page and only what I see in gameplay. Believe me, it owns. Just have to be more active with switching arrows and equip the Hawk ring for specific ranges. Also, you can headshot stunlock a lot of enemies, having the faster firing rate of the Composite bow makes this a lot easier.

I hate the Greatbows because I almost never mid roll and god forbid fat roll on any character and they take way too long to fire. Also, the arrows are expensive and they don't deal much more damage than the aforementioned bows to make it worth it.

Seanspeed

Banned
Ok thanks for the heads up on the humanity/loot drop situation. Seems like there's not really much reason to be human if you're not planning on summoning people except to kindle bonfires(or if you just enjoy getting invaded). I guess I've been lucky, cuz I haven't lost to an invading player yet, and I played as a human for quite a bit. Only time I'd stay hollow is if I had a lot of souls and needed them for something particular.

So I had my first rage moment, and it was only partly the game's fault. I had an internet brownout in the middle of a boss fight and it kicked me out of the game as a result! Started me up right before the boss, but without all the items I used(pine resin and flasks), which meant I had to go all the way back to the bonfire. Argh. I haven't retried the boss yet. First time I got genuinely upset playing this as I had the boss down to half health.

Czigga

Ok thanks for the heads up on the humanity/loot drop situation. Seems like there's not really much reason to be human if you're not planning on summoning people except to kindle bonfires(or if you just enjoy getting invaded). I guess I've been lucky, cuz I haven't lost to an invading player yet, and I played as a human for quite a bit. Only time I'd stay hollow is if I had a lot of souls and needed them for something particular.

So I had my first rage moment, and it was only partly the game's fault. I had an internet brownout in the middle of a boss fight and it kicked me out of the game as a result! Started me up right before the boss, but without all the items I used(pine resin and flasks), which meant I had to go all the way back to the bonfire. Argh. I haven't retried the boss yet. First time I got genuinely upset playing this as I had the boss down to half health.

Man if running back to the bonfire is your biggest rage moment you are a fortunate... soul. Sorry haven't read back too far but how far are you in the game?

Seanspeed

Banned
Man if running back to the bonfire is your biggest rage moment you are a fortunate... soul. Sorry haven't read back too far but how far are you in the game?

I've definitely dealt with worse in terms of recouping losses, but its the first time anything that was truly unfair happened. Like I said, it wasn't entirely the game's fault, but it definitely had that 'Ok I'm gonna stop now' response.

In terms of my progress:

I'm at Quelegg's Domain on the way to ring the 2nd bell

Started making a Hunter for the bows and figured out its pretty boring and there are not many bows. From need to make bows more varied and interesting for Dark Souls 2.

I actually have a pure bow build and love it, the trick is using different bows for different situations.

My primary weapon is Short Bow, because it's so fast you can shoot and roll before taking a hit from most enemies. Just wait for an attack, back up or roll to dodge it and counter with the bow from a distance.

Then I have
Avelyn
(weapon spoiler) for my off hand, and use the three round burst on tougher targets or to finish off weakened ones. Also good for plugging any invader stupid enough to try and cast Pyro or Sorcery in range of it.

Last, arrows. I use Large Arrows on my Short Bow since it has short range anyway, and have Feather Arrows on second slot for sniping (which I couple with a Hawk Ring). On the crossbow it's Heavy Bolts for most mobs, and Lightning Bolts for bosses, invaders or stuff that needs to die with extreme prejudice.

It's a really fun build. Some enemies take getting used to fighting with the counter attack method (such as spear Silver Knights) but it's completely workable.

Firebrand

Goddamit,
Sen Fortress
. You're not making it easy for me to recover my souls when I die.

Pretty cool place though once you get to the upper levels and outside.

Vossler

Starting out on this tonight, played a bit of Demon's Souls, but didn't really put a lot of time into it. Thinking I am going to go with a Wanderer, but may at the last minute switch to a Warrior. Any quick advice I should know before heading in?

want to know whats the best thing about killing someone in PVP?

when you load into your world and it shows you a ghost of the person you just killed being killed by you :3

Starting out on this tonight, played a bit of Demon's Souls, but didn't really put a lot of time into it. Thinking I am going to go with a Wanderer, but may at the last minute switch to a Warrior. Any quick advice I should know before heading in?

Don't use boss souls in your inventory, get a 100% physical reduction shield (or close), don't kill merchants, don't go into the graveyard or down the elevator after the first area until you're ready.

Firebrand

Since there's no decent explanation of the mechanics in the game itself I'll mention these things:

- Equip load (goes up with Endurance) affects your movement / roll speed even below the maximum. 50% equip load is a magical treshold where you go from OK speed to clunky, but if fits your playstyle reducing it further can make you even more nimble I think?

- Look at stability (and maybe weight?) and resistance % on shields to decide what's a good shield against your currrent foes, not the attack value in the first column.

- Early on, try every weapon you find, if just for a little bit. See how they feel and what they can do - light attack, heavy, "kick" (some weapons have special moves instead of a kick). Some weapons like the spear let you attack without lowering the shield. This way when you come to the point where you can upgrade weapons you might have a better idea of which weapon(s) to focus on. Though, if you change your mind later on at least the basic upgrade materials aren't difficult to farm.

- Holding 1 humanity will boost your item discovery by 50%, but doesn't seem to increase dramatically after that.

PROTIP: DEMON'S SOULS: You have inventory weight. carry too much stuff and you might miss out on equips when you try to pick it up because you become overcumebered.

theres an npc that acts as your item storage. KEEP HIM HAPPY!

Facism

is there a trick to getting summoned on the pc? the online feels really barren compared to how it was on the ps3 :(

2AdEPT

is there a trick to getting summoned on the pc? the online feels really barren compared to how it was on the ps3 :(
...Yeah getting a good friends list going when you do find compatible players is important....so much easier when you already know you are compatible with certain connections. Advertise on here if you need help! I am playing right now and can help out anyone at a wide variety of levels. 23, 26, for mellee, 34 for bows, 66, 55, and 81 for polished faith dex builds with darkmoon, and one mage.

message me @ AdEPTerik on GFWL

En-ou

That's what I am using. I wonder if I should try reinstalling the addons. What are the suggested addons with the 3d? Helixmod, Durante's fix ... Anything else?

Also what is the best way to start fresh? Make sure nothing is lingering.

those are the only two i use. the addons dont overwrite anything so uninstalling them wont do anything.

what problems are you having? you using nvidia? you may need to play with ctrl+f3 to f6 to find your sweet spot. but i didnt have to, i use helix's default i think.

Facism

thanks bru, but i don't need help :) soloed bigs and small no problems. i just like helping people and getting them souls

DrBo42

Anyone run into problems with dsfix where the game resolution doesn't fit the entire screen? I have it set in the .ini to my game's resolution but it's not even taking half the screen. The menu and everything else is correct but once in the actual game it's fucked. Ideas?

Edit: Oh, anti- aliasing. Moron.

There are times when im hitting and staggering an opponent with arrows but no damage is done. Is there any way I can tell if they are close enough that damage is done and is there any way to increase the range of my bow attacks?

OKAY, GUYS, I ADMIT IT, THIS GAME IS FUCKING GREAT.

Earlier I gave up on the game after getting incredibly frustrated with a really rough start, but after giving it another shot (and going with a defined character in mind - in this case, a pure melee brute), it's been a LOT more enjoyable. Still frustrating, but it rather tickles that part of my brain that absolutely refuses to back down from a challenge and keep on going in spite of whatever hardships may come.

I just wish I didn't have to deal with hollow form. It's so ugly! I'm probably going to end up farming humanity just so I can avoid looking at it.

Top Bottom