• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Vitten

OKAY, GUYS, I ADMIT IT, THIS GAME IS FUCKING GREAT.

Earlier I gave up on the game after getting incredibly frustrated with a really rough start, but after giving it another shot (and going with a defined character in mind - in this case, a pure melee brute), it's been a LOT more enjoyable. Still frustrating, but it rather tickles that part of my brain that absolutely refuses to back down from a challenge and keep on going in spite of whatever hardships may come.

I just wish I didn't have to deal with hollow form. It's so ugly! I'm probably going to end up farming humanity just so I can avoid looking at it.

Just equip a helmet, problem solved :)

SJRB

Gold Member
I'm probably going to end up farming humanity just so I can avoid looking at it.

Yeah, that's a bad idea.

There are very few headgears that actually show your full face. Just stick with it, you'll get new gear soon enough.

Dark Souls has Skyrim Syndrome of "spend 30 minutes in character creation menu, then never see said character's face again".

Soulhouf

There are times when im hitting and staggering an opponent with arrows but no damage is done. Is there any way I can tell if they are close enough that damage is done and is there any way to increase the range of my bow attacks?

Hawk Ring and Feather arrows increase significantly your bow range (more than double if combined) and the damage as well.
Did you upgrade your bow? It won't do much damage if you didn't.

Just equip a helmet, problem solved :)
Yeah, that's a bad idea.

There are very few headgears that actually show your full face. Just stick with it, you'll get new gear soon enough.

Dark Souls has Skyrim Syndrome of "spend 30 minutes in character creation menu, then never see said character's face again".
Actually, I do have some headgear that covers the face... I just don't wear it. :p

The skeleton babies drop craptons of humanity anyways, not a big deal. (Also I like being invaded, it's fun!)

Been playing this again after beating it a year ago and this time I am trying a str based character. Thing is the weapons are slow as balls, whats the best pve weapons with decent animation and speeds?

Edit: Found a Balder side sword, really good weapon, any reason why I cant upgrade it pass +5 even though I have the L.shards and souls for it? It wont even show in my weapons list while in the upgrade menu.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Been playing this again after beating it a year ago and this time I am trying a str based character. Thing is the weapons are slow as balls, whats the best pve weapons with decent animation and speeds?

Edit: Found a Balder side sword, really good weapon, any reason why I cant upgrade it pass +5 even though I have the L.shards and souls for it? It wont even show in my weapons list while in the upgrade menu.

You need to have the Large Ember and get Andre to modify it "ascend it" to +6 first.

Got stuck earlier today trying to kill
The Four Kings. On top of things I didn't realize there was an elevator that takes you from the beginning of the ruins to the lower level. Not knowing that was the major reason for frustration I had in this level. Probably made 20 trips and by the time I reached the abyss my Estus flask were half gone.

I'm finding that whenever I get stuck in a Boss, one of the things that helps me defeat them is using Havel's armor. I'm slow as hell, but all its damage reduction stats can't be matched.

Ended up using the frustration of not being able to beat The Four Kings to finally go through and kill the Ceaseless discharge, and go to the Ash Lake. I'm still confused as to what exactly covenants do. Are they primary a PvP thing?

Got stuck earlier today trying to kill
The Four Kings. On top of things I didn't realize there was an elevator that takes you from the beginning of the ruins to the lower level. Not knowing that was the major reason for frustration I had in this level. Probably made 20 trips and by the time I reached the abyss my Estus flask were half gone.
There's a slightly quicker way than that even
In the area with the first two ghosts, at the back there is a pot with a transient curse item, a short drop/roll off the ledge there to land you in the area of shallow water just before the false wall/treasure chest. You can actually run through the whole thing from the Firelink lift to the fog door if you evade the few enemies on your way, the ghosts can follow you through the fog door though, so keep running/drop down (they can't follow you into the abyss, just through the walls of the tower).

I'm still confused as to what exactly covenants do. Are they primary a PvP thing?
Yes. Covenants are for invading/co-op.

http://darksouls.wikidot.com/covenants

Cyborg

I want to buy a USED Dark Souls Limited Edition (PS3). Does it have a online pass that I need to buy on the Psn store or can I play it when it arives? Without any problems!
Thanx

Akito

I want to buy a USED Dark Souls Limited Edition (PS3). Does it have a online pass that I need to buy on the Psn store or can I play it when it arives? Without any problems!
Thanx
There's no online pass in any of the version that I know of.

Only Andre can ascend the weapons (to +6 and +11 once you give him the embers), but once they're at +6 and +11 you can upgrade them at any bonfire to +10 and +15 respectively.

Seanspeed

Banned
Cant beat
Witch Queen Quelagg
. Just cant. Tried a bunch of times yesterday. Tried a bunch of times just now. Just cant do it. I have like 30 Dung Piles from the trip to even get to the boss. I'm out of Purple Moss Clumps so I cant heal poison, which happens at least once getting there, so I'm left with just 7 or 8 estus flasks each time.

I really dont think I can try anymore. I'm just not having fun and I dont feel like I'm 'almost there', either.

This might be it with this game. I dont see myself going back to it anytime soon. Sucks cuz I was having a great time so far.

EDIT: Guess I could try summoning somebody....

Sullichin

Cant beat
Witch Queen Quelagg
. Just cant. Tried a bunch of times yesterday. Tried a bunch of times just now. Just cant do it. I have like 30 Dung Piles from the trip to even get to the boss. I'm out of Purple Moss Clumps so I cant heal poison, which happens at least once getting there, so I'm left with just 7 or 8 estus flasks each time.

I really dont think I can try anymore. I'm just not having fun and I dont feel like I'm 'almost there', either.

This might be it with this game. I dont see myself going back to it anytime soon. Sucks cuz I was having a great time so far.

Looking at your previous posts, you're using a balder side sword +6, which won't do too much damage against her. But you can farm the slimes in the swamp and bring your weapon to +10, it will make a big difference. That sword also scales its damage quite well with your dexterity stat, so putting more in that will add some damage as well.

Use the shit out of the sword's thrusting (R2) attack. You can roll through or away from her sword attacks. Don't get stuck by her legs. Either be attacking her human half after she misses attacks, or her back. You'll get used to her animations and know when you need to run away from the explosion attack, which is by far the biggest threat in this fight. I don't typically use lock on in this fight, I think lock on makes it more difficult to avoid her lava attacks.

She's completely resistant to fire so if you're using pyro or charcoal pine resin don't bother.

If you found the shadow set while exploring blighttown, that has high poison resist. You could make it to the other side of the swamp without getting poisoned as long as you let the meter drop down while you rest on drier ground. But, don't worry too much about getting poisoned. It's really not so bad fighting her while poisoned, the HP drain is pretty slow and you have time to run away and heal when you need to. Also, just run past the boulder giants on your way to the boss, they won't follow you into Quelaag's domain.

If you haven't, you can summon the NPC Maneater Mildred for this fight. You have to be in human form and she will invade, then when you beat the phantom you will be able to summon her by Quelaag's fog door. Watch as she walks into lava over and over again. But her weapon is pretty damaging and she's a nice distraction.

Also if you need to leave Blighttown to get more moss from the female undead merchant or talk to Andre, you can go up the waterwheel -> Valley of Drakes -> New Londo Ruins -> Firelink Shrine (it's a faster trek than all of those location names imply)

Seanspeed

Banned
Looking at your previous posts, you're using a balder side sword +6, which won't do too much damage against her. But you can farm the slimes in the swamp and bring your weapon to +10, it will make a big difference. That sword also scales its damage quite well with your dexterity stat, so putting more in that will add some damage as well.

Use the shit out of the sword's thrusting (R2) attack. You can roll through or away from her sword attacks. Don't get stuck by her legs. Either be attacking her human half after she misses attacks, or her back. You'll get used to her animations and know when you need to run away from the explosion attack, which is by far the biggest threat in this fight. I don't typically use lock on in this fight, I think lock on makes it more difficult to avoid her lava attacks.

She's completely resistant to fire so if you're using pyro or charcoal pine resin don't bother.

If you found the shadow set while exploring blighttown, that has high poison resist. You could make it to the other side of the swamp without getting poisoned as long as you let the meter drop down while you rest on drier ground. But, don't worry too much about getting poisoned. It's really not so bad fighting her while poisoned, the HP drain is pretty slow and you have time to run away and heal when you need to. Also, just run past the boulder giants on your way to the boss, they won't follow you into Quelaag's domain.

If you haven't, you can summon the NPC Maneater Mildred for this fight. You have to be in human form and she will invade, then when you beat the phantom you will be able to summon her by Quelaag's fog door. Watch as she walks into lava over and over again. But her weapon is pretty damaging and she's a nice distraction.

Also if you need to leave Blighttown to get more moss from the female undead merchant or talk to Andre, you can go up the waterwheel -> Valley of Drakes -> New Londo Ruins -> Firelink Shrine (it's a faster trek than all of those location names imply)
I'm using the Balder Sword +6 for certain things, but my go-to weapon has been the Halberd, which is what I've been using against the boss. I did try the sword once, but it was laughably ineffective.

I've got a pretty good grasp of the attacks the boss uses by now(it'd be bad if I didn't), but it doesn't stop me from getting fucked by some of them. I try and stay a distance from the sword slashes, then run to the side when it does the fire breath thing. Problem is, it'll often jump at me, which I can block, but it still does decent damage, knocks me down and back, where it'll hit me again, or I'm knocked into a pool of fire, which is pretty much my end. I've gotten it down to low health a couple times, but I feel its just pure luck in terms of having it do certain attacks I can get away from. Certain ones just screw me and I haven't figured a way to stop it from happening.

EDIT: I've tried the rolling away from the sword attacks, but I get hit like everytime. I dont understand how that works. I'm only a medium equip character so the rolls dont get me that far away.

One thing I haven't tried is not using lock on. It'd let me run away and to the side easier, but I think I'd get killed by the sword attacks pretty quickly since its hard to block without lock-on. Worth a try if I cant do anything else, I suppose.

Being poisoned is bad, actually. It'd be one thing if I could heal when I needed to, but I have to wait for the right moments to do it. If I'm low health and I'm on the defensive, I cant just stop and heal. Also, the boulder giants wont follow me into the domain, but they'll definitely kill me as I try and run past them. Tried that a couple times. The rock throws take away most of my life, knock me down, and get me killed.

I also cant surive in New Londo Ruins. I went down there from Firelink Shrine a couple times, but die within like 30 seconds from these ghost things I cant hit. I dont think going back is an option.

Really think summoning is my best hope. Can I summon somebody more than once?

EDIT: Gonna try a couple more times before football starts. Crossing my fingers. Also, thanks for advice. Souls community seems really good about this stuff. Its a fun game to talk about, I guess.

EasyMode

Cant beat
Witch Queen Quelagg

EDIT: Guess I could try summoning somebody....

How are you collecting dung pies on the way to the boss? If you're using the bonfire at the bottom of Blighttown, all the trolls are avoidable if you approach the boss entrance from the far right.

The lack of moss is a pain, but beating her while poisoned is still very doable. The Pyro outfit has the highest fire resistance at the point and is nice and light. It's hidden around a bend in the wall near a slug around the middle of the swamp.

Fast rolls are really helpful here. When she swings her sword from left to right, roll to the left and vice versa for the opposite. If you keep close and to the side, her thrust attack will miss completely. I think her combo goes: swing, swing, thrust. Keep an eye on your stamina and don't swing at her more than twice unless she's continuously spewing lava. Even then, keep some stamina to roll away once you see her hug herself, because that explosion is coming.

Equip the best flame shield, Heater or one of the Crests @ 70. Attack Quelagg only when she spews out fire. Do it 2 handed and you'll get good damage. Switch back to shield until she spews fire on the floor. You'll lose 2-3 flasks from fire shield not blocking 100. I wasn't too good at DS PS3 a year ago and stopped halfway up Sen's Fortress...just started back up in a new game and back to where I was in half time with less headaches. Game isn't too tough.

Sullichin

I'm using the Balder Sword +6 for certain things, but my go-to weapon has been the Halberd, which is what I've been using against the boss. I did try the sword once, but it was laughably ineffective.

I've got a pretty good grasp of the attacks the boss uses by now(it'd be bad if I didn't), but it doesn't stop me from getting fucked by some of them. I try and stay a distance from the sword slashes, then run to the side when it does the fire breath thing. Problem is, it'll often jump at me, which I can block, but it still does decent damage, knocks me down and back, where it'll hit me again, or I'm knocked into a pool of fire, which is pretty much my end. I've gotten it down to low health a couple times, but I feel its just pure luck in terms of having it do certain attacks I can get away from. Certain ones just screw me and I haven't figured a way to stop it from happening.

EDIT: I've tried the rolling away from the sword attacks, but I get hit like everytime. I dont understand how that works. I'm only a medium equip character so the rolls dont get me that far away.

One thing I haven't tried is not using lock on. It'd let me run away and to the side easier, but I think I'd get killed by the sword attacks pretty quickly since its hard to block without lock-on. Worth a try if I cant do anything else, I suppose.

Being poisoned is bad, actually. It'd be one thing if I could heal when I needed to, but I have to wait for the right moments to do it. If I'm low health and I'm on the defensive, I cant just stop and heal. Also, the boulder giants wont follow me into the domain, but they'll definitely kill me as I try and run past them. Tried that a couple times. The rock throws take away most of my life, knock me down, and get me killed.

I also cant surive in New Londo Ruins. I went down there from Firelink Shrine a couple times, but die within like 30 seconds from these ghost things I cant hit. I dont think going back is an option.

Really think summoning is my best hope. Can I summon somebody more than once?

EDIT: Gonna try a couple more times before football starts. Crossing my fingers. Also, thanks for advice. Souls community seems really good about this stuff. Its a fun game to talk about, I guess.

You don't have to go into New Londo Ruins to go back, just the entrance
Yeah you can summon someone more than once, you just need to be in human form. If you're on PC or PS3 I can probably help you

Seanspeed

Banned
Summoned for the 1st time. Beat the boss first try, easy peasy. It definitely feels like cheating, but at least I can continue on with the game!

How are you collecting dung pies on the way to the boss? If you're using the bonfire at the bottom of Blighttown, all the trolls are avoidable if you approach the boss entrance from the far right.

The lack of moss is a pain, but beating her while poisoned is still very doable. The Pyro outfit has the highest fire resistance at the point and is nice and light. It's hidden around a bend in the wall near a slug around the middle of the swamp.

Fast rolls are really helpful here. When she swings her sword from left to right, roll to the left and vice versa for the opposite. If you keep close and to the side, her thrust attack will miss completely. I think her combo goes: swing, swing, thrust. Keep an eye on your stamina and don't swing at her more than twice unless she's continuously spewing lava. Even then, keep some stamina to roll away once you see her hug herself, because that explosion is coming.
I haven't found that Pyro outfit, I'll have to go back and find it, just for potential future use.

Equip the best flame shield, Heater or one of the Crests @ 70. Attack Quelagg only when she spews out fire. Do it 2 handed and you'll get good damage. Switch back to shield until she spews fire on the floor. You'll lose 2-3 flasks from fire shield not blocking 100. I wasn't too good at DS PS3 a year ago and stopped halfway up Sen's Fortress...just started back up in a new game and back to where I was in half time with less headaches. Game isn't too tough.
My Crystal Shield actually has a higher Fire Resistance and has served me well so far. I'll be sad when its gone.

Also switching from one-handed to two-handed in the heat of the moment is something I need to get better at and something I hadn't thought of for this fight. Only really did it for one boss battle and it was very useful. I just think very defensively when I play, but you can switch so quickly I need to be more aware of being able to switch without fear.

Definitely lots of room for me to improve. I dont think this was supposed to be one of the harder bosses(was it? Hadn't heard many mentions of it), but then again, I beat
Capra Demon
first time out and had very little trouble with the
Gaping Dragon

EDIT: OK!!!!! So, I lost all 20,000 souls I got for beating the boss and I have no idea where to go. Fantastic.

EDIT2: Alright, I think I'm supposed to go up near where this water wheel is. I dont have the Master Key, so I hope that doesn't matter.

EDIT3: Nope, thats a dead end and I died, losing everything I had once again. Fuck this goddamn game. I'm using a guide from now on.

Why didn't you spend the souls @ fire?

If you keep going up water wheel, at the top is new londo key to the right instead of left with the 3 brutes. Get key then go through brutes to make it back to Firelink.

Seanspeed

Banned
Why didn't you spend the souls @ fire?

If you keep going up water wheel, at the top is new londo key to the right instead of left with the 3 brutes. Get key then go through brutes to make it back to Firelink.

I missed a ladder. Found a dead end and backtracked, got hit by an enemy and fell to my death. I watched a video to see where to go cuz I went up again and still didn't know where to go. 2nd time dying was crossing this tree root thing and falling while trying to get back to where I died(I was trying to hurry cuz a dart dude was shooting at me).

Didn't want to spend the souls yet as I wanted to get that Crest of Artorias or whatever its called. I think my stats are decent right now. I was under the impression that leaving was going to be pretty straightforward.

But whatever. I'm out now, so I'm fairly relieved, even if I did lose a ton of souls.

2nd time dying was crossing this tree root thing and falling while trying to get back to where I died
:lol - I only laugh because I think back to all the times I've done that myself, those janky physics on the wood planks nailed to the tree, you get stuck on them and it's easy to fall when you do.

Don't worry about losing souls, easy to get back by co-oping for others - plant a summon sign down near the bonfire and go farm some slugs for large/green titanite - 10,000 per fight with Quelaag. :)

btw, there's an important item in that dead end (if you mean the area with the flame dogs and blowdart guys).

kamspy

Just starting the game.

I plan on playing with a comprehensive FAQ.

I want to play Pyromancer from the little I've toyed around.

What's the best sign to start with, and what should I focus on early leveling.

Just starting the game.

I plan on playing with a comprehensive FAQ.

I want to play Pyromancer from the little I've toyed around.

What's the best sign to start with, and what should I focus on early leveling.

Don't use a FAQ man, just ask questions here.

Focus on Endurance and Vitality, I'd say. Other than that, just level the other stats so that you can wield whatever weapon you want to use, and the stat it has A or S scaling with.

kamspy

Don't use a FAQ man, just ask questions here.

Focus on Endurance and Vitality, I'd say. Other than that, just level the other stats so that you can wield whatever weapon you want to use, and the stat it has A or S scaling with.

where can I find some good overpowerd loot early on? What sign should I start with? Will the master key help me later in the game or just early on? Should I even try to fuck with those knights in Undead Burg?

Unfortunately I don't have the time to sink that the game deserves, but I at least want to "watch" it. If you know what I mean.

where can I find some good overpowerd loot early on? What sign should I start with? Will the master key help me later in the game or just early on? Should I even try to fuck with those knights in Undead Burg?

Unfortunately I don't have the time to sink that the game deserves, but I at least want to "watch" it. If you know what I mean.
If you get the Master Key you can
use the elevator to go to New Londo Ruins, from there go to Valley of Drakes, and grab the shield and sword in front of the dead dragon. Yes the dragon is undead and will kill you but it's not like you have many souls anyways.

You can go to the graveyard and get the Zweihander, which is one of the slowest but strongest weapons in the game. You can also go to the Catacombs to get the Great Scythe but this one is much more complicated. It's one of the best weapons once upgraded, though.

You can also try your luck to kill one of the Black Knights. If they drop their weapons (particularly the Halberd and Axe) you'll never have to get another weapon. This one requires skill and luck though.

RedSwirl

How advisable is it to reinforce gear in this game?

I went through almost all of Demon's Souls with basically all of my starting gear, plus a sword that I found in 1-1, but reinforced a few times.

I'm at around soul level 30 in Dark Souls right now and haven't switched much gear since finding the Elite Knight suit. I'm still using the Drakesword which is by far the strongest weapon I have but I'm thinking of reinforcing one of my other weapons that weighs less. I only just recently beat the Gargoyles.

Soulhouf

How advisable is it to reinforce gear in this game?

I went through almost all of Demon's Souls with basically all of my starting gear, plus a sword that I found in 1-1, but reinforced a few times.

I'm at around soul level 30 in Dark Souls right now and haven't switched much gear since finding the Elite Knight suit. I'm still using the Drakesword which is by far the strongest weapon I have but I'm thinking of reinforcing one of my other weapons that weighs less. I only just recently beat the Gargoyles.

If you reinforce the Claymore or Halberd to +5, it will be stronger than the Drake Sword and has better moveset.

Summoned for the 1st time. Beat the boss first try, easy peasy. It definitely feels like cheating, but at least I can continue on with the game!

I haven't found that Pyro outfit, I'll have to go back and find it, just for potential future use.

My Crystal Shield actually has a higher Fire Resistance and has served me well so far. I'll be sad when its gone.

Also switching from one-handed to two-handed in the heat of the moment is something I need to get better at and something I hadn't thought of for this fight. Only really did it for one boss battle and it was very useful. I just think very defensively when I play, but you can switch so quickly I need to be more aware of being able to switch without fear.

Definitely lots of room for me to improve. I dont think this was supposed to be one of the harder bosses(was it? Hadn't heard many mentions of it), but then again, I beat
Capra Demon
first time out and had very little trouble with the
Gaping Dragon

EDIT: OK!!!!! So, I lost all 20,000 souls I got for beating the boss and I have no idea where to go. Fantastic.

EDIT2: Alright, I think I'm supposed to go up near where this water wheel is. I dont have the Master Key, so I hope that doesn't matter.

EDIT3: Nope, thats a dead end and I died, losing everything I had once again. Fuck this goddamn game. I'm using a guide from now on.

Are you me? I had the same experience in that area.
Didn't have the gear to go the route via the water wheel. The Great Hollow got me cursed. Best option was to go back through Blightown and The Depths.

If you get the Master Key you can
use the elevator to go to New Londo Ruins, from there go to Valley of Drakes, and grab the shield and sword in front of the dead dragon. Yes the dragon is undead and will kill you but it's not like you have many souls anyways.

You can go to the graveyard and get the Zweihander, which is one of the slowest but strongest weapons in the game. You can also go to the Catacombs to get the Great Scythe but this one is much more complicated. It's one of the best weapons once upgraded, though.

You can also try your luck to kill one of the Black Knights. If they drop their weapons (particularly the Halberd and Axe) you'll never have to get another weapon. This one requires skill and luck though.

I'm using the
Zweihander
, and have upgraded it to level 13 or 14. So far I can one-shoot most enemies. I really need to find a faster weapon though. Some Bosses require speed rather than brute force. Problem is I don't know which swords are good.

2AdEPT

Just be a sorcerer if you want the game to be easier. But if you want to fight and be a real Dark souls melee specialist:

There are two cheesy but very effective ways to get OP fast:
1.)
get all the early game humanity you can in the first 2 minutes, i.e. the three at firelink the one in the valley of the drakes (easier with master key) and hopefully one will float into your ticker as someone will die when you are near a bonfire (must be online.) With 5 humanity in your ticker you will have enough item discovery to get the random drops from each of the black knights, the sword, halberd and greatsword. Even if you only get one to drop, it will carry you through the whole game....the better of the three are the halberd and greatsword as the regular sword gets boring two handed. you will need 22 strength to two hand these bigger weapons, i forget for the plain sword but it is less...18 iirc. the problem with this method is you have to keep getting your bloodstain or you lose the humanity..obviously you have to be good enough to KILL the black knights.....this will be tough for noobs. Notwithstanding, using warrior to get a decent weapon in the longsword, pine resin and the wooden shield are enough to do this..parry and riposte gets rid of blackknights the fastest, backstabs second fastest.....the one in the garden near a secret tunnel bonfire is the easiest to cheese....hit him..then jump back into the tunnel...he walks out exposing himself to cheese tactics like fireballs, rinse and repeat...or he is the easiest to boot off the ledge..instant kill. If he doesn't drop reload a save either from dsfix or game save manager.

2.)
this method is easier as it involves a lot of running, not fighting...but you will likely have to use guides to figure out where to go and the master key is near imperative. Run through to the garden...you can pick up some goodies through the drakes corridor, or hire some help in the burg and kill Havel...you can lure him away from the door alternatively and he will be easy to dodge and then you can boot it out his door into the garden. You will see some crystal golems and a huge hydra. The trick is to run by all these dudes and get up a ladder on the far side of the basin from where you entered...it is to the left if you are facing the hydra. The hydra will spam white magic water at you. The trick is to dodge the water at just the right time, then boot up the ladder hoping he does not knock you off the ladder with his inevitable spams. He will miss you eventually. Go up the ladder and you will get into a area inaccessible unless you pay 20000 souls to Andre. By coming in the the backdoor you forego having to pay. You can actually cheese the guardians in the area by hiding in the crack between the rock near the 20k door and a huge cliff. All the enemies will climb the rock and jump off the ledge giving you 9000 souls....moreover they will be dead and allow you to continue. You do not have to cheese them or even fight them though...keep running to the right side of the area following the cliff line and into a little shelter passage...there will be a cat there. She will offer you to join her covenant. JOIN by saying yes. Ensure to talk to the guard outside the door who is now your friend...if you do he will appear in blighttown which you can access from firelink by using the master key to shortcut in there. He opens a shop that will sell you OP weapons, the best of which imo is the washing pole..has the best reach of any katana and has a brilliant moveset. You will need 20000 fro the washing pole alone though so learning how to cheese the garden people BEFORE you join their covenant may be a good routine to learn.

3.)
this is the easiest, but the least rewarding..... simply kill the first merchant you find in the undead burg. His Uchigatana is much better than anything he sells and as long as you buy lots of his repair powder, lloyd's talismans, repair box, and arrows, he can be replaced. Very quickly, if you use a shortcut by jumping down into the lower burg and opening the iron door in the aqueduct near firelink...there is new better merchant behind the iron door.

You can do a combo of the numbers or all three.

[/B]

. Problem is I don't know which swords are good.
This is an easy problem to fix...see above for the best weapons....but the longsword that the warrior starts with and is dropped by dredglings in undead burg can be decent once upgraded, as are the claymore
(undedad burg behind the dragon),
halberd
(laying near the big door to the parish),
the gargoyle halberd is a common drop from the gargoyles bosss if you have any humanity at all in your ticker....even the estoc, is decent which can be acquired seconds from start-up in firelink by
looking behind the first door way toward the New londo ruins
....a quick suicide run there gets you an extra
firekeeper soul
as well! With the exception of the black knight weapons above..all of these must be upgraded to be of any se...plus 10 is better than plus 5 so using the
drop down short-cut
and killing capra then going to the depths ASAP is recommended.

kamspy

The only thing I know how to get in the New Londo Ruins in the Firesoul (?) think I use to upgrade my flask

any directions to where you're talking about?

Seanspeed

Banned
[/B]

Are you me? I had the same experience in that area.
Didn't have the gear to go the route via the water wheel. The Great Hollow got me cursed. Best option was to go back through Blightown and The Depths.
Yea, thats how I got there, too. I think this is why the Souls community is so good. We all have lots of sympathy for each other! lol

I think I'm gonna play this instead of finishing this Skins vs Seahawks game, which is just a disaster to watch as somebody who likes the Redskins.

ParityBit

those are the only two i use. the addons dont overwrite anything so uninstalling them wont do anything.

what problems are you having? you using nvidia? you may need to play with ctrl+f3 to f6 to find your sweet spot. but i didnt have to, i use helix's default i think.

OK so I tried removing all the mods, including dsfix. I then installed dsfix and added Helix mod. I setup my dsfix ini (and have the enableHudMod 0) But when I click to target something, the target icon sticks to my HP bar. I do not know what could be causing this.

JRW

Does the Gargoyle Halberd max at +5? It doesn't show up in the Reinforce weapon menu anymore (not even greyed out).

Does the Gargoyle Halberd max at +5? It doesn't show up in the Reinforce weapon menu anymore (not even greyed out).

No but chances are you will need to find another blacksmith later in the game (and give them an ember you find) to progress further.

When the time is right it'll be back and you can get it to +15 (or upgrade it down an elemental path if you so choose)

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Just beat demon firesage and ornstein and smough.

Got a chaos blade +5 too but it's kinda underwhelming I guess? Ah well, I don't like the bigger and heavier swords plus it kills things pretty fast.

Afrocious

I must be killing my 3 year old computer with this game and DSfix.

Got into the Painted World and this happens within 15 minutes of being in the area.

http://i.imgur.com/CshZg.jpg

Also little squares are popping up everywhere on my computer like sprinkles and sometimes webpages become incoherent jumbles of squares. Sometimes refreshing works...

EDIT: Here's a screenshot of the squares popping up outside the game. Bottom right and toolbar at the bottom:

http://i.imgur.com/uGRmb.jpg

RedSwirl

Jesus. I'm not sure if I'm ever gonna unequip Havel's Ring. At least not for a while. Not so much for the amount/weight of equipment I want to use, but just for the effect it has on my movement speed.

I must be killing my 3 year old computer with this game and DSfix.

Got into the Painted World and this happens within 15 minutes of being in the area.

http://i.imgur.com/CshZg.jpg

Also little squares are popping up everywhere on my computer like sprinkles and sometimes webpages become incoherent jumbles of squares. Sometimes refreshing works...

EDIT: Here's a screenshot of the squares popping up outside the game. Bottom right and toolbar at the bottom:

http://i.imgur.com/uGRmb.jpg

GPU artifacts bruh. Looks like you might need to get a new one.

I just died with 7 humanity in the top left. I think they call that soft humanity. If I shut down the game will that still be in the same place if I find the bloodstain?

RedSwirl

This fucking hydra man.

Anyway, I think I've killed everything major in the Burg and Parish. I'd go down to The Depths but I wanna check out what's up the ladder behind that Hydra in Darkroot Basin and see what I'm dealing with in the New Londo Ruins. I took a peek into Drake Valley as well but I don't think I'm at that place's suggested level, in terms of equipment or souls.

I'm at like soul level 33 right now but still haven't found a weapon I really like other than the Drakesword. Maybe the Black Knight Halberd I found?

Edit: I also got a Black Knight Shield.

2AdEPT

The only thing I know how to get in the New Londo Ruins in the Firesoul (?) think I use to upgrade my flask

any directions to where you're talking about?

Ithought you would have done at least a little exploring....for me it was the most important aspect of the game....but if you don't want anything done on your own...there are always youtubes of everything. Any "speed run" on you tube uses parts of these cheeses as they have no time to piss around...they go straight for the goods. The black knight halberd location is for sure part of what was the world record speed run a few months after launch.....the greatsword bk is near the dragon bridge in undead burg.....you can eiher go underneath the dragon or get him to jump out and then run between his legs.

tbh i don't have time to give step by step instructions...just google what you want to get and youtube will have all "secret passages" etc. if you want to join the cat covenant just google alvina and shiva....the location will be layed out. Also googling "black kight locations" will pay dividends.

feel

I played most of the game with a maxed out Silver Knight Straight Sword. It looks really beautiful (IMO) and hits very hard while still being fast.

Top Bottom