• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
This fucking hydra man.

Anyway, I think I've killed everything major in the Burg and Parish. I'd go down to The Depths but I wanna check out what's up the ladder behind that Hydra in Darkroot Basin and see what I'm dealing with in the New Londo Ruins. I took a peek into Drake Valley as well but I don't think I'm at that place's suggested level, in terms of equipment or souls.

I'm at like soul level 33 right now but still haven't found a weapon I really like other than the Drakesword. Maybe the Black Knight Halberd I found?

Edit: I also got a Black Knight Shield.

Reinforce some gear.

So I finally got it during the steam sale, been wanting it for long, as I enjoyed (but never finished) demon souls when I owned a PS3. After fighting GFWL for about an hour I finally log in and start playing and I must admit, the mouse controls are really putting me off. The mouse is all over the place, and playing on a dual screen setup, eventually the mouse ends up outside the full screen window, minimizing the game... I am very close to buying a 360 gamepad only for this game, will it bring me closer to my experience with demon souls on PS3 and do I need to pick up a special 360 pad or will any do?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
So I finally got it during the steam sale, been wanting it for long, as I enjoyed (but never finished) demon souls when I owned a PS3. After fighting GFWL for about an hour I finally log in and start playing and I must admit, the mouse controls are really putting me off. The mouse is all over the place, and playing on a dual screen setup, eventually the mouse ends up outside the full screen window, minimizing the game... I am very close to buying a 360 gamepad only for this game, will it bring me closer to my experience with demon souls on PS3 and do I need to pick up a special 360 pad or will any do?

Get DS mouse fix.

http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~petska/

I find it incredibly playable with the mice.

Though maybe your problems might just stem from how the mouse works.

How advisable is it to reinforce gear in this game?

I went through almost all of Demon's Souls with basically all of my starting gear, plus a sword that I found in 1-1, but reinforced a few times.

I'm at around soul level 30 in Dark Souls right now and haven't switched much gear since finding the Elite Knight suit. I'm still using the Drakesword which is by far the strongest weapon I have but I'm thinking of reinforcing one of my other weapons that weighs less. I only just recently beat the Gargoyles.
Reinforcing weapons is an absolute must. Reinforcing armour is just something I do for my most used pieces if I have spare shards/souls to buy shards (which you will).

2AdEPT

Hey guys, what's the best weapon for a quality build?

the black knight weapons are great, washing pole, murakumo, server.....all have split dex/str stats. Many others ....but really you always get more stat power by specializing...even if you balance your str adn dex you may find you geet more stats from the S, A, And B ratings from either str or dex. especially the str weapons like demon great machete. My personal preference though is to always pump dex and two hand str weapons if need be with lower str...buffed at +15 the nickels and dimes difference in damage is negligible.

Soulhouf

Alright, I have my black bow of pharis going at +14 (need a slab) and a composite bow at to lightning, seeing that the scaling on composite is crap anyway.

You loose the scaling when you go lightning and the damage is split.
When you have the minimum stats to wield the Composite Bow, going lightning is good but with 40 dex there is no question, a +15 BBoP owns.

chunk3rvd

Just had my copy of this delivered from Amazon and want to be double sure before I open the seal - will this definitely play on my laptop with Durante's fix? I have a core i3 2.4GHz, 6GB ram and a 1GB BT 630M

The reason I ask is because Steam says I need a Core 2 Duo E6850, 2GB ram and a GeForce 9800 GTX+ while the back of the DS box says I need an i5 2.66 GHz, 4GB ram and a GeForce GTX series

The required specs seem wildly different and it's mainly the processor that's worrying me as my i3 seems a few steps below the suggested i5?

Sullichin

Just had my copy of this delivered from Amazon and want to be double sure before I open the seal - will this definitely play on my laptop with Durante's fix? I have a core i3 2.4GHz, 6GB ram and a 1GB BT 630M

The reason I ask is because Steam says I need a Core 2 Duo E6850, 2GB ram and a GeForce 9800 GTX+ while the back of the DS box says I need an i5 2.66 GHz, 4GB ram and a GeForce GTX series

The required specs seem wildly different and it's mainly the processor that's worrying me as my i3 seems a few steps below the suggested i5?
I installed it on my nephews computer which has an i3, don't remember which one but it runs fine.

Facism

Wow. Obsidian Greatsword tops out at 480 dmg @ +5 with no stat scaling Possible. Can be enchanted with Crystal Magic Weapon :O :O

Serra

FUCK.

I have a serious problem.

Last friday, I earned the last achievements I needed to 1000/1000 Dark Souls on the pc. This was "Wisdom of a Sage" (acquire all sorceries) and when it popped, "The Dark Soul" (get all other achievements) popped up right after it. I could see them in my achievements when I went into the gfwl client inside Dark Souls. I quit normally and though everything was fine and dandy.

The next day I log into xbox.com and notice that it says I have only 925/1000 points in Dark Souls. Huh, thats odd. I turn on Dark Souls for the pc, go into gfwl and it says I have 1000/1000. Maybe the servers didn't sync yet?

Well, it has been more than 4 days since I earned those achievements and they still dont show up on xbox.com.

Seems others have been having similar issues with gfwl (dark souls and other games) in that some achievements pop but never sync to xbox.com. Sometimes they even magically relock (as in, you haven't earned the achievement at all). There are several fixes that alot of people have used with good success (according to the forums where the fixes were posted). So I tried three fixes (only ones I found really) and they didn't work.

The fixes I tried were:

Firstly I tried playing another gfwl game and earning an achievement to somehow sync my local profile with the servers. I played Dawn of War 2 and earned a single achievement, which almost instantly showed up on xbox.com. Still 925/1000 on Dark Souls according to xbox.com

The second fix was deleting my gfwl local profile, then redownloading it from microsoft's servers and playing until I do something that should earn me an achievement. I immediately noticed that gfwl said I had not earned "Wisdow of a Sage" and "The Dark Souls" at all. Loaded up my character that has all the sorcerery spells on him and sat there for a minute or so. Nothing.

Thirdly I tried deleting the most recent .gpd gfwl system files, then logging in and loading my save. Again, nothing happened.

Any advice?

TL;DR
I unlocked all the achievements, didn't sync to xbox.com / live properly and now its saying I haven't unlocked them all. HELP!

If you can afford it, I would just get the 360 controller. This game is a port through and through and to get the experience as it was meant be played, the controller is a must. People are playing this with M&K, and they are saints for doing that, but the controller makes a enormous difference.

I'm just getting better and better with kbam. It's just 1 guys opinion, but I'm really glad I stuck with it. Just flying around now dominating fools. Seems like the enemy AI cant handle the speed of a keyboard strafe.

Also, I just freed a guy in undead parish. Went back to the spot where I freed him and he's gone. Did some reading online and it looks like he should be back near the bonfire that I got dropped off at by the bird but he's not there. A glitch maybe.

One last thing. The way enemy arrows curve to hit you is cheesy as fuck. Really poor design decision by From to make that happen. In a game as atmospheric as this one it really breaks the immersion when you see it happen.

Serra

Also, I just freed a guy in undead parish. Went back to the spot where I freed him and he's gone. Did some reading online and it looks like he should be back near the bonfire that I got dropped off at by the bird but he's not there. A glitch maybe.

Sometimes you need to save / reload for a NPC to move places.

Sometimes you need to save / reload for a NPC to move places.

Right after I freed him I went to the rooftop, died, and quit the game for the night. Next day I switched bonfires to one closer to that building and still didn't see him. Quit the game and started it up again and he still isnt there. He is supposed to be right outside the woman in the cage right? Maybe because I went to the rooftop?

Serra

Right after I freed him I went to the rooftop, died, and quit the game for the night. Next day I switched bonfires to one closer to that building and still didn't see him. Quit the game and started it up again and he still isnt there. He is supposed to be right outside the woman in the cage right? Maybe because I went to the rooftop?

Maybe you need to beat the Twin Gargoyles before he appears at Firelink Shrine?

2AdEPT

I'm just getting better and better with kbam. It's just 1 guys opinion, but I'm really glad I stuck with it. Just flying around now dominating fools. Seems like the enemy AI cant handle the speed of a keyboard strafe.

One last thing. The way enemy arrows curve to hit you is cheesy as fuck. Really poor design decision by From to make that happen. In a game as atmospheric as this one it really breaks the immersion when you see it happen.

as annoying as it is to get hit with this ....and your arrows don't do the same......not much should surprise you about realism in a game that has magic wands and lightning bolts flying around...not to mention cloak gear, rings that boost health and damage on foes, etc, etc, etc,. My personal opinion is that there are a lot worse bends on realism than homing arrows.

try quitting and the reload should have him appear there...unless you went to depths /blighttown and rang the second bell....you will have worse problems than him disappearing.

ArynCrinn

Banned
This fucking hydra man.

Anyway, I think I've killed everything major in the Burg and Parish. I'd go down to The Depths but I wanna check out what's up the ladder behind that Hydra in Darkroot Basin and see what I'm dealing with in the New Londo Ruins. I took a peek into Drake Valley as well but I don't think I'm at that place's suggested level, in terms of equipment or souls.

I'm at like soul level 33 right now but still haven't found a weapon I really like other than the Drakesword. Maybe the Black Knight Halberd I found?

Do a suicide run through Valley of the Drakes for the Red Tearstone Ring, you'll thank me latter.

JRW

Last friday, I earned the last achievements I needed to 1000/1000 Dark Souls on the pc. This was "Wisdom of a Sage" (acquire all sorceries) and when it popped, "The Dark Soul" (get all other achievements) popped up right after it.

Wait.. Why doesn't my Dark Souls install even have Achievements available in Steam? I just figured it didn't have any and im already 40+ hours in.

Sullichin

This fucking hydra man.

Black Knight Halberd is so much better than the shitty Drake sword it's not even funny. You could use it the whole game no problem.

Wait.. Why doesn't my Dark Souls install even have Achievements available in Steam? I just figured it didn't have any and im already 40+ hours in.
Sadly they aren't steam achievements, just GFWL ones.

Nah I haven't rung either bell yet. Just went through the fog door at the top and went no further.

He should be at the firelink bonfire, one staircase down from where the fire actually is.

I'm really surprised that I keep hearing new players are using the drake sword - what guide/walkthrough/whatever is still recommending that?

JRW

You do have games for windows live installed, right?

Yep it logs me in everytime I start DS its using my gamertag from Xbox360.

EDIT: Oh my bad the achievements are shown in GFWL itself not in Steam like other (non gfwl) games.

RedSwirl

The problem with two-handed weapons though is that I'd still like to use a shield.

Edit: Just checked the wiki, I only have about maybe half the strength required to even wield the Dark Knight Halberd. Can't even two-hand it right now.

2AdEPT

The problem with two-handed weapons though is that I'd still like to use a shield.

Edit: Just checked the wiki, I only have about maybe half the strength required to even wield the Dark Knight Halberd. Can't even two-hand it right now.

you will need 22 to two hand it...I have a melee-only character going right now that uses the halberd and the greatsword...these weapons are OP an worth the effort...granted I am an experienced player and have over 1500 hours of souls under my belt....but the movesets are all different for different weapons and this is the first chance I have had to focus solely on these weapons...they destroy everything...solo'd O and S first time ever with the halberd...wasn't easy at SL 30 or so, but was doable....I have a new appreciation for those that complained about O and S solo..I sincerely believe the developers intended for these guys to be teamed up against....almost impossible to imagine a noob being able to beat them solo.

Anyway...I strongly encourage you to consider two handing...you use the triangle button to use your shield (approach silver knight/dark wraith, tank one hit, then sneak behind while pressing triangle, back stab.) takes a little practice to switch between shield and weapon but well worth the practice.

A fully upgraded BKH with SL30 takes away silver knight/ dark wraiths in one shot...depending on the move set choice.....two hits max....so your shield will become less important once fully upgraded.

Soulhouf

Use the shield to block then switch to 2H to attack and so on. One of the keys in Dark Souls gameplay is to master switching between 1H and 2H and lock-on lock-off. Once you mastered that nothing would stop you as well in PvE and PvP.

@2AdEPT: every new player can solo S&O if they use an upgraded Eagle Shield. That shield completely trivialize that fight.

RedSwirl

With 1 humanity and maybe 8,000 souls on the line in the Depths I'm trying to find a way back up to the bonfire in here after having fallen down a pit into the part of the sewers with the curse toads in it. Currently in human form.

I end up at the left balcony overlooking the area where I know the Gaping Dragon boss awaits when I get invaded. Dude seems to be wearing Kirk Knight of Thorns' armor. A few exchanges and dodges and I manage to beat him. He drops a Barbed Straight Sword but I just wanna find that shortcut back to the bonfire that I know is down here somewhere before I get invaded again or something.

End up running into summon spots for Solaire and Lautrec and I imagine maybe they can help me. Somehow though I manage to get myself lost, can't find the way back, much less the way back to the bonfire, and with 14,000 souls on the line I (foolishly decide) I've got no other choice than to face the Gaping Dragon. Can't be that hard with two phantoms helping me out right?

Wrong. First time I've seen phantoms go down that fast. I'm alone and the Dragon's still got maybe 4/5 of his health left. Because I still haven't been able to find a better weapon (that I can actually handle) than the Drakesword I can only deal maybe 90 damage per hit, deciding to focus on the hind legs so as to avoid the Dragon's stomp, devour attack, and tail.

About maybe 1/5 of his health left, I'm out of Estus, and I'm pretty sure one more hit will kill me (about maybe a quarter of my health left). He speeds up though and I can't outflank him anymore. I decide to let him run up to me and try his devour attack so I can dodge and hit his hind leg again. I get hit by a tail swipe which leaves me with a chip of health left. I repeat this one more time and decide to sprint towards him, go all-in, two-handed, leaving no stamina left to run away.

BACqAKNCYAAhRkV.jpg:large

Anyway, still can't find a weapon I like. After leveling up with the proceeds from the fight I've only got just enough strength to two-hand the Black Knight Halberd but just equipping it slows me down too much for my liking. The only other weapons of note I've got are the Barbed Straight Sword, a Greataxe, and some ordinary axes and polearms. Not sure which one to invest souls into.

Soulhouf

That's awesome!
Regarding you equip burden, remove some pieces of your equipment or equip lighter ones, you need to be under 50%, and you will be fast again.

RedSwirl

That's awesome!
Regarding you equip burden, remove some pieces of your equipment or equip lighter ones, you need to be under 50%, and you will be fast again.

Might just buff up my endurance. I'm currently at SLVL 40. It might be 60 before I regularly use this thing.

Anyway, starting tomorrow I'll probably drop back into Demon's NG+ to take advantage of that white world tendency.

2AdEPT

Use the shield to block then switch to 2H to attack and so on. One of the keys in Dark Souls gameplay is to master switching between 1H and 2H and lock-on lock-off. Once you mastered that nothing would stop you as well in PvE and PvP.

@2AdEPT: every new player can solo S&O if they use an upgraded Eagle Shield. That shield completely trivialize that fight.

I tended to agree when I didn't actually do it myself, maybe its because with my strategy I didn't even use the shield I had, grass crest on back...even our SL 1 run you helped me with it as a SL1 character and it was easy as pie....but solo I used the pillars, was very patient, and it still took me multiple tries, got frustrated and summoned solaire...I knew I could do it and ironically the time I did do it, I did all the work and solaire died almost within seconds of our arrival...but the amount of cheesy hits that ornstein got on me by floating around the area was ridiculous...seemed like trivial luck the at the time I was successful he just happened to miss me by inches instead of getting me by inches etc. Once it was super smough one on one....It was like (k)night and day....the poor bastard had zero chance ...only used half an estus just pinning him behind the pillar and smacking him with the halberd one or two hits at time.

I remember you saying you hated smough and I loved him, and I hated ornstein and you preferred him...that's funny that even the most experienced players play different in subtle ways. I still say I am "right" ;) [silly fun voice on] as smu is sooo fat he can be pinned behind the pillar with ease...orn on the other hand traipses out and floats right into you no matter what you do. [silly fun voice off]

Might just buff up my endurance. I'm currently at SLVL 40. It might be 60 before I regularly use this thing.

Anyway, starting tomorrow I'll probably drop back into Demon's NG+ to take advantage of that white world tendency.

You don't need to wear any armour over using your halberd....its mostly psychological....if you actually research your defence stats with armour on or off it will only change 20 points or so out of 140 or so at level 40. (I just cleared O and s solo and nito solo with a sl 32 character using the halberd two handed with 22 str...I did upgrade some dingy robes for lightning resist, upgraded the black sorcerer gauntlets and poured almost all my leveling into endurance. I was able to wear decently strong dingy robes with the black sorcerer gauntlets and still had enough room to stay under 25% max roll with no helmet or head gear and a grass crest shield upgraded to +6 or so....it stayed on my back though. That is my recommendation, but if you must go forward without the halberd....the barbed sword is a viable weapon which handles the same as the shortsword or any straightsword really...it has bleed though which is a plus....its only limitation is the reach...I got used to being a primarily washing pole player (best reach in the game) and find the barbed sword to much like bringing a pencil to a swordfight....but it is viable and does good damage when you get the bleed going....I played with it exclusively when I was helping on bosses with my Kirk toon...the kirk you had in the depths was obviously the NPC if he dropped the sword...a regular guy like me tooning would not drop the sword upon death anyway....unless he dropped before you killed him?

thanks for the reminder about the Demons event! off to start a new character immediately! I never did a dex character ever only magic faith and strnght ones....might go female and use whats her face (miranda?) armour from the first gate being unlocked owing to pure white!!!

anyone wants to co-op my PS3 ID is adepterik2

End up running into summon spots for Solaire and Lautrec and I imagine maybe they can help me. Somehow though I manage to get myself lost, can't find the way back, much less the way back to the bonfire, and with 14,000 souls on the line I (foolishly decide) I've got no other choice than to face the Gaping Dragon. Can't be that hard with two phantoms helping me out right?

Wrong. First time I've seen phantoms go down that fast. I'm alone and the Dragon's still got maybe 4/5 of his health left. Because I still haven't been able to find a better weapon (that I can actually handle) than the Drakesword I can only deal maybe 90 damage per hit, deciding to focus on the hind legs so as to avoid the Dragon's stomp, devour attack, and tail.

I've actually heard that summoning Lautrec and Solaire for Gaping Dragon makes the fight more difficult because of the added health the dragon gets compared to the pitiful extra damage that Lautrec and Solaire can add.

RedSwirl

You don't need to wear any armour over using your halberd....its mostly psychological....if you actually research your defence stats with armour on or off it will only change 20 points or so out of 140 or so at level 40. (I just cleared O and s solo and nito solo with a sl 32 character using the halberd two handed with 22 str...I did upgrade some dingy robes for lightning resist, upgraded the black sorcerer gauntlets and poured almost all my leveling into endurance. I was able to wear decently strong dingy robes with the black sorcerer gauntlets and still had enough room to stay under 25% max roll with no helmet or head gear and a grass crest shield upgraded to +6 or so....it stayed on my back though. That is my recommendation, but if you must go forward without the halberd....the barbed sword is a viable weapon which handles the same as the shortsword or any straightsword really...it has bleed though which is a plus....its only limitation is the reach...I got used to being a primarily washing pole player (best reach in the game) and find the barbed sword to much like bringing a pencil to a swordfight....but it is viable and does good damage when you get the bleed going....I played with it exclusively when I was helping on bosses with my Kirk toon...the kirk you had in the depths was obviously the NPC if he dropped the sword...a regular guy like me tooning would not drop the sword upon death anyway....unless he dropped before you killed him?

thanks for the reminder about the Demons event! off to start a new character immediately! I never did a dex character ever only magic faith and strnght ones....might go female and use whats her face (miranda?) armour from the first gate being unlocked owing to pure white!!!

anyone wants to co-op my PS3 ID is adepterik2

I've reinforced the Elite Knight Armor (with Gargoyle helmet) quite a bit though. And I'm pretty sure the guy was an invading phantom, not an NPC. I got the invading phantom message and everything, and got the vanquished phantom message after beating him. Do you even find that guy in the depths?

I've reinforced the Elite Knight Armor (with Gargoyle helmet) quite a bit though. And I'm pretty sure the guy was an invading phantom, not an NPC. I got the invading phantom message and everything, and got the vanquished phantom message after beating him. Do you even find that guy in the depths?

Some NPCs are invading phantoms, though. If they drop actual loot, they're NPCs.

So I picked up Dark Souls during the STEAM sale, have DSFix up and running.

I don't know what the hell I am doing.

I've beaten the prologue, I guess it is. Some giant bird carried me off to some place. Anyway, Skeletons are fucking me up.

I have a feeling they are incredibly easy to beat, I just haven't figured out the method. They have to be easy, they are like the 3rd Enemy I've encountered in the game.

Akito

I've beaten the prologue, I guess it is. Some giant bird carried me off to some place. Anyway, Skeletons are fucking me up.

I have a feeling they are incredibly easy to beat, I just haven't figured out the method. They have to be easy, they are like the 3rd Enemy I've encountered in the game.
You're going the wrong way

zkylon

zkylewd

Go up.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I think I made a mistake going with dex build. I rang the 2nd bell and all the weaon options suck right now.

Top Bottom