• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Zeliard

I think it's fair to let people know they shouldn't use their Fire Keeper Souls as consumables. Beyond that, play the game and figure things out. :>

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Definitely, definitely, definitely.

If you truly need help, don't spoil it for everyone else. Follow the soapstone clues and when it doubt, summon friends.

Hell, in truth, new players should just disconnect from the real world and let themselves get absorbed for as long as possible until something really challenges them and outside help is needed.

gdt

I think it's fair to let people know they shouldn't use their Fire Keeper Souls as consumables. Beyond that, play the game and figure things out. :>

Oh yeah, THIS. At launch, the game didn't properly warn you, so I was fucked out of that.

RaffAO

Anyone else having problems gettingtheir 360 (wired) controller to work? GFWL stuff is recognising it but the game itself isn't at all.

antitrop

This is one of the ugliest PC game I've probably ever looked at.

Looking forward to that fix!

Anyone else having problems gettingtheir 360 (wired) controller to work? GFWL stuff is recognising it but the game itself isn't at all.
Mine worked perfectly on launch, both in GFWL and Dark Souls. It looks like it recognizes both controller and KB/M inputs at the same time, with no way to "force" one.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Oh yeah, THIS. At launch, the game didn't properly warn you, so I was fucked out of that.

Yeah, not consuming Fire Keeper souls is the one legit tip new players should have.

I just tried that. Signed in and everything. Didn't work.

Are you on the RTM or the Consumer Preview? I'm on the preview.
I'm on the Consumer Preview, been on it since its release. I've also been playing GFWL games throughout that time. The client I'm using is apparently 3.5.50.0.

ezekial45

Banned
Yes, that's what I was getting at. I ended up using them immediately cause I had no idea what they intended for.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Could someone please elaborate on what to do with the fire-keeper souls? In spoilers if you don't mind.

When you give them to a Fire Keeper it increases the amount of flasks (healing potions) you have

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
God. Can't stress enough how much I love this game. It took me to a gaming place only the true classics like Super Metroid ever have. And don't forget to yell out loud with joy whenever you finally get past something really tough.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Man this feels so unoptimized it's rediculous. I mean I got to 15fps as soon as I got out of my cell. Some pics

data2012-08-2319-19-2dvs8h.png

data2012-08-2319-21-4sfsta.png

This last part was sporadic as hell. I'm talking 20fps.

data2012-08-2319-23-50rswn.png

Not using Durante's fix yet since I don't think he's put it out yet.

I'm on a 6970 2GB, 2500k@4.8ghz, a8GB, and W7x64.

When you give them to a Fire Keeper it increases the amount of flasks (healing potions) you have

I already knew, and was doing that. Is there something else I am missing besides that use? Never used them as an item though, guess I was doing the right thing already.

Varna

I got a crash when the game first booted up. Turned off D3DOverrider and it's working fine now. No funny business with GFWL too. Didn't even need to update for once.

Using my HDTV it looks just like the console version. Frame-rate is much better though. My GPU sits at 11% usage. Some flash games use more then this.

Zzoram

As long as there is no "Well, I'm fucked. I need to start a new game", I'm cool with it. I'm gonna die so bad.

Anything you screw up can be redone in NG+ or NG++ etc.

Could someone please elaborate on what to do with the fire-keeper souls? In spoilers if you don't mind.

Fire Keeper Souls are used for
upgrading the maximum Estus. If you're a skilled boss you don't really need the healing anyways, but most people find it useful. You have to give it to the girl behind bars just below Firelink Shrine

So now that we know from Durante's work that this game actually upscales twice, from the 360 internal res to the PC internal res, then to your set resolution, I think we can all agree this port isn't just below standards but full-on, wantonly incompetent?

I'd definitely bet on that. It's whacky.

zkylon

zkylewd
Ugh...fucking GFWL set my game in spanish, even though my windows version is in english. Anyone knows how to set it to english?

God. Can't stress enough how much I love this game. It took me to a gaming place only the true classics like Super Metroid ever have. And don't forget to yell out loud with joy whenever you finally get past something really tough.

And pump those fists in the air! YES! YES! It offsets the F-Bombs.

gdt

Of course, GFWL says my password doesn't match. I know it does, haven't touched any of this stuff since I tried out Batman:AC.

Anything you screw up can be redone in NG+ or NG++ etc.

Fire Keeper Souls are used for
upgrading the maximum Estus. If you're a skilled boss you don't really need the healing anyways, but most people find it useful. You have to give it to the girl behind bars just below Firelink Shrine

Cool, so just keep doing what I was doing. I swear this game has so many things to learn. In no other game do I feel knowledge is power as much as DS. I only made it 75% through the game on PS3 and I still have plenty to learn.

Dresden

How does playing offline make it easier / harder? It just cuts you off from the other players' messages, summons and ghosts, and the messages don't make it easier at all, just way more enjoyable.
Summons will make a lot of the boss content trivial.

JordanKZ

Windows 8 fix!!

Run through the steps on this steam post:

If you are running Windows 8 and your game doesn't even show GFWL at all no matter what you do, here's how to fix it.
Delete all previous installations of GFWL and clean the registry. (ccleaner is a good program that will do this)
Download gfwlivesetupmin.exe (28 Mb), from HERE
Install the client and run it. It will ask you to download an update (624 Kb) called gfwlivesetup.exe by clicking the requested link. Install it.
Launch GFWLive.exe from C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games for Windows - LIVE\Client.
Launch Batman: Arkham City and the Home button should work now, create or sign into an account and play.

Also enable Microsoft Update in Windows 8 and update the OS.

You have to keep the client running in the background, but it does work now.

2AdEPT

GUYS, DO NOT START WITH THE MASTER KEY. IT BREAKS THE METROIDVANIA FLOW OF THE GAME. Use that for NG+.

OOPS wrong answer........do whatever you feel like! THis isnt friggin metrovania!!!!! Couldn't disagree more with this line of thinking....go wherever the flip you want in any order you want EXCEPT the "most suggested route" and and experience the game for what it is....an exploration masterpiece.....changing it into metrovaina is blasphemous. Each to their own, so if you like linear world listen to this poster..if you like the thrill of exploring, which is why this game is the best of the generation, then perhaps take the master key as your gift and explore!

antitrop

Intel i7-2600k @ 4.8ghz
GeForce GTX 590
16gb DDR3

Framerate seems completely locked at 30fps, haven't ran into any performance issues yet.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Intel i7-2600k @ 4.8ghz
GeForce GTX 590
16gb DDR3

Framerate seems completely locked at 30fps, haven't ran into any performance issues yet.

Dual GPU may do that lol

Us lowly 6970 folk have to settle :p

And yes, the mouse is stuck on screen until I move it as well. To the poster above.

Top Bottom