• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

It is possible to enjoy the game at the same time as being able to see the flaws. And many parts of the game is quite..shitty.. Some of the areas are obviously rushed, and there's, crap game design all over the place. But the good thing is that the great parts of DS1 are rather amazing. Couple that with good sales and possible increased budget for DS1 and we have a very, very promising future for DS2.

Anyway I am still surprised over how different it is to play the game with a sorcerer build (and some research on the internets..) than a warrior build for me. And now I'm homing in at the end, despite giving up the 360 version run a few months ago.

I understand that, but when you go and use a trainer to bypass crucial gameplay mechanics, I can't see those arguments being supported in any way.

chunk3rvd

What are the conditions for getting a pyromancy glove off Eingyi? I got one off him on the PS3 version which I traded with Snuggly for a red slab but I just can't get him to do it again on the PC and it seems like I've exhausted all of his conversation

I wish I'd tried the ranged melee weapons in Demon's Souls. The Halberd is great

Also, the damage the Washing Pole does when you get a combo going :O

Defuser

What are the conditions for getting a pyromancy glove off Eingyi? I got one off him on the PS3 version which I traded with Snuggly for a red slab but I just can't get him to do it again on the PC and it seems like I've exhausted all of his conversation
I think it was getting the egg head and having a minimum amount of int.

Raide

I think you need to be higher in the Covenant to get it from him.

You can get another pyro glove from Engyi? This changes everything! :O

Talking of little things I didn't know about - I climbed a ladder in Blighttown I'd never ever seen before the other day - The area where the Crimson set is, just before that is a ladder up to a platform with nothing up there - I think the enemy up there often drops down as you walk across the branch. I guess you can snipe some of the blow-dart guys from up there then jump down or something. I'd just never gone up there before despite walking past it countless times!

Sullichin

I'm surprised you didn't get vaporized by multiple white phantoms with dark magic and wrath of gods, it is the forest after all.

I was invading at the Depth and came across this one guy who started talking through the mic and freaking out about fighting me. So I decided to just follow him around and watch him fight, all the while messing with him by suddenly running up his back and doing a parry, and hearing him freak out, he then started telling me about his prior experience of getting gangbanged by multiple invaders, in the end I just left and he thanked me for not killing him.

It's funny because he probably had a decent chance at beating me because he was running around with a BK sword and I was cosplaying as Lautrec so I didn't even have a shield.

What... talking through a mic, how?

So no real reason to go above 30 then? Apart from damage increase? I think I will rebuild him as a real SunBro. :D

There's sunlight spear and a couple of princess guard healing miracles that need more than 30 FAI but 30 is a pretty good stopping point.

You need 11 INT for some reason. Don't need the egg head or to be in the covenant

ParityBit

So I am sitting outside the fog gate in Anor Londo. No one is summoning me at this point. Is it possible my level is too high? I am level 74. Or am I just having bad luck at the moment?

So I am sitting outside the fog gate in Anor Londo. No one is summoning me at this point. Is it possible my level is too high? I am level 74. Or am I just having bad luck at the moment?

That's a bit higher then I was in Anor Londo.

Where did you put your summon sign? Most of the people put it at the bonfire in Anor Londo (the bonfire closest to the boss room).

ArynCrinn

Banned
Sanctuary Guardian = Since Soulhouf called me out for my lame Bed of Chaos fight, thought I'd up the ante with this. No healing, no shielding rules in effect. Everything that could go wrong did go wrong in this fight. RNG dictated I couldn't get Red Tearstone'd from a lightning ball at the beginning, I mistimed my dodge when I intentionally tried to take crit damage for Red Tearstone AND I mistimed a air attack dodge. So not the prettiest fight but I got it done under these rules. Doing it without Red Tearstone is sort of fun though since it lasts longer than 45 secs.

Sorry for the vids slowing down but college is getting the better of me these days.

Arjen

Sanctuary Guardian = Since Soulhouf called me out for my lame Bed of Chaos fight, thought I'd up the ante with this. No healing, no shielding rules in effect. Everything that could go wrong did go wrong in this fight. RNG dictated I couldn't get Red Tearstone'd from a lightning ball at the beginning, I mistimed my dodge when I intentionally tried to take crit damage for Red Tearstone AND I mistimed a air attack dodge. So not the prettiest fight but I got it done under these rules. Doing it without Red Tearstone is sort of fun though since it lasts longer than 45 secs.

Sorry for the vids slowing down but college is getting the better of me these days.

Still, impressive stuff man. No way I'll be able to pull of stuff like this

alazz

I've never seen a SL1 video before. That's really impressive. Do have one for Gravelord Nito?

I just fought Sanctuary Guardian last night and it reminded me a bit of Gaping Dragon. Looks cool, has a huge arena, but is a huge pushover.

Soulhouf

Excellent!

Protip to get the red tearstone effect: use the symbol of avarice before starting the fight. In Demon's Souls I used to equip Makoto for that purpose.

I have a question though: is it me or you are using a Chaos Reinforced Club with zero humanities?

ArynCrinn

Banned
Excellent!

Protip to get the red tearstone effect: use the symbol of avarice before starting the fight. In Demon's Souls I used to equip Makoto for that purpose.

I have a question though: is it me or you are using a Chaos Reinforced Club with zero humanities?

Ahh cool, I'll definitely use the Symbol of Avarice from now on! Never thought of that, forgot what it's effect was. :\

And no, check the end of the vid, I'm using a simple Fire Reinforced Club +10. I never can keep enough Humanities for effective use of a Chaos weapon...

I've never seen a SL1 video before. That's really impressive. Do have one for Gravelord Nito?

Nah, I haven't done Nito yet, probably after Artorias.

Still, impressive stuff man. No way I'll be able to pull of stuff like this

Don't disempower yourself, man! You can do it too. I've put about 300+ hours into this game over the course of my life, so it's nothing special, it's just a horrendous amount of work. Just keep practicing and learning the game, and you will get there. I'm still learning new things about the Souls games (tactics and timing windows), at this point I'm only pretty decent.

ParityBit

So I finally got summoned into the battle against
Ornstein and Smough. I don't know if could do that alone. That was pretty damn tough!

Seanspeed

Banned
Yeah, you can entirely ignore the butterflies. The cave is really straightforward, except for the invisible bridges and only two of them are required to complete the area. You don't even need to use prism stones, so it's pretty easy!
You can run past the golems in the grassy area before the cave, and run past the first one in the cave. The golem after the first invisible bridge doesn't respawn. The only other enemies you need to fight are the crab things before the boss. Just let them attack and attack them during their recovery frames. When you reach the platform after the bridge golem, look down and you'll see a golden golem. Drop down on top of him and you'll safely land on an invisible bridge above him. (Turn around and you'll see two crystal lizards.) Run straight along it and pay attention to the flakes of crystal falling before you (to ensure you're properly on the path) and you're at the end, more or less.

The boss can be annoying if you don't know what to expect, but
shatter the crystal as the fight begins and as Seath's prepping its laser beam, run directly at it and hack at its leg thing. Try to go for its leg because if you go directly facing it, I imagine, you could be hit by its beam that shoots vertically at the ground. After the field of crystals shatter, run back; repeat. Two-hand your weapon, because a shield isn't going to be useful. He's an easy boss, all things considered.
Don't get caught in its attacks or else you'll have limited resources next time around. Keep track of your back. The arena is big, but be careful not to lose track of your surroundings.

It's entirely possible (and likely) that you'll be able to kill it on your first encounter without even using estus.
Thanks, but really, I'm getting my butt whooped by him and I had no idea I could get cursed, so yay! I dont understand how I'm supposed to beat him. I've read strategies, watched videos, but I can never emulate them. He always does this one huge area attack that I cant get away from.

Arjen

Did you try to just tank it out? 2 hand your weapon, get your curse resistant as high as possible and stay really close, don't even run from the AoE, take it, heal up and keep mashing.
Also, baiting him in destroying the crystal himself is really usefull, get a buff 2 hand and mash away.

Seanspeed

Banned
Did you try to just tank it out? 2 hand your weapon, get your curse resistant as high as possible and stay really close, don't even run from the AoE, take it, heal up and keep mashing.
Also, baiting him in destroying the crystal himself is really usefull, get a buff 2 hand and mash away.
Yea, that mainly what I've been doing. Just standing there swinging away. If I try and do anything else I'm usually dead pretty quickly. This way, I stay live a little longer and get to inflict some damage, but I get cursed everytime.

Arjen

Curse ring from new londo and blood shield from painted world should help you out in that regard. Once you have your curse resistant up the fight becomes a lot easier

Yea, that mainly what I've been doing. Just standing there swinging away. If I try and do anything else I'm usually dead pretty quickly. This way, I stay live a little longer and get to inflict some damage, but I get cursed everytime.

If you have something ranged it is pretty easy to just keep him on the other side of the area and chip away. Otherwise I just keep circling around him and he will mostly spend the time turning to catch up or using his AoE attack where you are no longer standing.

For that matter using a bow on the crystal is effective too. It takes him a little bit to get going after it is smashed, so you have a window to get some good hits in.

Seanspeed

Banned
If you have something ranged it is pretty easy to just keep him on the other side of the area and chip away. Otherwise I just keep circling around him and he will mostly spend the time turning to catch up or using his AoE attack where you are no longer standing.

For that matter using a bow on the crystal is effective too. It takes him a little bit to get going after it is smashed, so you have a window to get some good hits in.

I'm doing pretty much melee only.

I think I'm just gonna have to get lucky, which is how I rely on beating a lot of things in this game. I'm just not very good, I dont think.

Sullichin

Dingy set, paladin set have good curse resistance. Others too but those two came to mind. But If you just have a few humanity in your counter it will make a huge difference in curse resistance and probably be enough. The clams in front of his room can drop purging stones if you get cursed

Run to the back of the room where the crystal is, wait for him to get to the middle of the room and bait him into breaking the crystal himself. This will stun him and let you run up and beat the crap out of him. It's also the best way to get his tail, but if you just want to kill him go right in front of him dead center, and stay away from the highly damaging tail attacks. Don't lock on during this fight it just makes it harder. Two handed halberd or greatsword will work really well. just tank every attack and heal. If you use pyro you can easily kill him with just a couple of fire tempest casts.

I'm doing pretty much melee only.

I think I'm just gonna have to get lucky, which is how I rely on beating a lot of things in this game. I'm just not very good, I dont think.

My first run through of Dark Souls I did melee only too....and he fucked me up many times which is why I still hate the Crystal Caves.

Can't help a lot then besides just getting really good at the fight ;) If it does help, I died so many times there, but eventually got through it, so know the pain.

ArynCrinn

Banned
The Antiquated Skirt probably has the best curse resit for lightest weight ratio, Dingy skirt coming in second. Combined with the Cursebite Ring and Bloodshield you'll have all the curse resit you need. Throw on the Xanthous Crown if you want to get stupid about it.

The formula is this for Seath.

-Run to the Crystal and bait him into shattering it. While you're waiting apply a fire-based buff.

-Once he breaks it he'll be stunned so run to his right tentacle (YOUR right, not his) immediately and start throwing down R2's. If you want the tail now is the time to target the tip with everything you've got.

-He'll keep trying to circle away from you hitting his right tentacle, so keep running directly at it and doing a running R1. Just don't go behind that tentacle or he'll do the ground smash. Rinse and repeat until he's dead. This has worked for me with every character since launch.

zkylon

zkylewd
Whenever Seath shoots the cursing crystals just roll around like a maniac and you'll manage to dodge quite a lot of the curse's effect. You won't survive it without anti-curse equipment, but I think I only used the ring and maybe the dingy skirt, anyways.

True, but those messages are perfectly placed if all you want to do is get to the boss immediately.
I don't exactly remember but I still challenge the truthfulness of your statement :p

Seanspeed

Banned
I didn't even think about putting stuff on that has curse resistance. I've recently just been going with whatever I think looks good and worrying solely about weapon/shield and rings! lol

I'm gonna try a few more times tonight. I want to say I should take a break, but I cant. I'll try some of these strategies out. I think I'll start with just rolling like mad if I get stuck in the crystals.

Also, I'm not worried about the tail. I think I saw that the weapon you get requires some insane amount of faith/intelligence or something to use, which I've been ignoring this playthrough.

Thanks for the advice, as always! I feel like this thread is a support group in some ways, helping me through my abusive relationship. lol :)

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
It's down for me too.

Edit: And so is Kalameet. :D

2013-02-08_00001.jpg

ArynCrinn

Banned
Can't seem to find any summon signs for the 4 kings in New Londo. Do they appear if I'm wearing the car ring?

Nah, you can only summon lame Volkswagen Beetles when wearing the car ring. All they do is drive around the boss honking, it's annoying.

It's probably because GFWL is down.

It's down for me too.

Edit: And so is Kalameet. :D

Good job man. I'm gonna try and take him down without a crossbow this time, should be pretty annoying. Not sure if I'm going to use the Giant Blacksmith Hammer +5 or the +5 Lightning Club. Which is more powerful? But I just may like the range a bit better for the hammer.

Hellcrow

Nah, you can only summon lame Volkswagen Beetles when wearing the car ring. All they do is drive around the boss honking, it's annoying.

It's probably because GFWL is down.

Good job man. I'm gonna try and take him down without a crossbow this time, should be pretty annoying. Not sure if I'm going to use the Giant Blacksmith Hammer +5 or the +5 Lightning Club. Which is more powerful? But I just may like the range a bit better for the hammer.

GFWL is up for me. Also, meant cat ring.

zkylon

zkylewd
I didn't even think about putting stuff on that has curse resistance. I've recently just been going with whatever I think looks good and worrying solely about weapon/shield and rings! lol

I'm gonna try a few more times tonight. I want to say I should take a break, but I cant. I'll try some of these strategies out. I think I'll start with just rolling like mad if I get stuck in the crystals.

Also, I'm not worried about the tail. I think I saw that the weapon you get requires some insane amount of faith/intelligence or something to use, which I've been ignoring this playthrough.

Thanks for the advice, as always! I feel like this thread is a support group in some ways, helping me through my abusive relationship. lol :)
We got your back bro

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I just got the blacksmith hammer at the very end of my game in case I ever want to do NG+ at SL1 (I seriously hesitated to kill him - he's so nice and his weapons saved my ass, but his hammer... and of course right before I kill him he calls me a friend and tells me about how happy he is working for me ;_;), but so far I think the blacksmith hammer is stronger and has better range, though it requires two hands rather than one. It also seems to have more lightning damage than physical, while the reinforced club has an equal distribution of both.

Manus/Kalameet sans crossbow both seem totally valid. I had the crossbow equipped for both Manus and Kalameet, but by the time I had the boss tells down, I found myself barely using the crossbow because of how easily you could get punished during the reload - I only used it to punish long-range attacks that I couldn't get in close for (e.g. if you time it right, you can get an easy crossbow headshot on Manus after his horizontal long-range paw swing, and the flinch gives you time to reload safely).

A maxed lightning light crossbow with lightning bolts did about 60 damage per shot on Kalameet, whereas a 2h R2 from a maxed lightning reinforced club did about 280. Kalameet seems easier to punish at close range than Manus too, so overall the fight felt less threatening. I felt like I could control the pace of the fight a little bit better than I could Manus.

I bet on the run where I killed Kalameet, I fired the crossbow maybe four times.

Edit: has anyone see this before? It's a translated Dark Souls comic. http://www.batoto.net/comic/_/comics/dark-souls-poka-poka-dark-souls-life-doujinshi-r8240

Edit 2: finished SL1 run! Gwyn is a totally different beast if you take him on without parrying. I used pyro, though.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Decided to do something different tonight, a ENB Challenge! In respect to all the talk about Capra a few days ago, so...

The Thief SL5 ENB Challenge + a little funny PvP at the end, got invaded while I was trying to grab the Wolf Ring/Divine Ember. :)

Rules.

#1 You may not level.
#2 With the exception of rings, you may only use your starting equipment.

#3 The only Blacksmiths who may Modify your equipment are Andre and Rickert.
Normal, Raw, Divine, Occult, Magic, and Enchanted are ok.
Fire and Lightning are NOT allowed.

#4 You may not use any healing items during a boss battle. Clerics can cast heal with no restrictions.
#5 You may not enter new covenants. (If you are a knight / cleric, Way of White is allowed.)
#6 You may not upgrade your pyromancy flame.
#7 No summons.

You MAY buy consumables, including resins, spells and arrows. You MAY remove equipment. If the challenge is too easy, add your own restrictions. These are only the BASE guidelines for this challenge. Season to taste, bro!

Enjoy!

alazz

ENB sounds fun! I may try that...

The Antiquated Skirt probably has the best curse resit for lightest weight ratio, Dingy skirt coming in second. Combined with the Cursebite Ring and Bloodshield you'll have all the curse resit you need. Throw on the Xanthous Crown if you want to get stupid about it.

The formula is this for Seath.

-Run to the Crystal and bait him into shattering it. While you're waiting apply a fire-based buff.

-Once he breaks it he'll be stunned so run to his right tentacle (YOUR right, not his) immediately and start throwing down R2's. If you want the tail now is the time to target the tip with everything you've got.

-He'll keep trying to circle away from you hitting his right tentacle, so keep running directly at it and doing a running R1. Just don't go behind that tentacle or he'll do the ground smash. Rinse and repeat until he's dead. This has worked for me with every character since launch.
This is my strategy as well, but I don't have him shatter the crystal. The first time I fought him I was totally hosed, and it took me an hour of retries or so to beat him. The whole process of running from Duke's to his room is tedious, so I can sympathize with you Seanspeed.

If you haven't already, upgrade your armor and weapon as high as you can. The clams outside Seath drop twinkling twilight with even low humanity, and the knight on the bridge outside of Priscilla's room in Paint World drops a Large Titanite Shard every time.

The only other thing I can think to suggest right now is: Be either right in front of him or a little ways outside of his melee range. Don't run to or away while he's shooting the beam if you're pointblank or far enough away. As soon as he raises his head to shoot the beam, run toward the tentacle to the right and hack away with 2H R2. (Stay calm and don't get hasty.) Sometimes he seems a lot more aggressive than usual, in which case I play it safe and run back after the crystals shatter. He will occasionally slash at the ground if you're too close (no idea if it'll catch you if you're up against him).

I think I'm ready as I'll ever be for Anor Londo

Stone Helm
Eastern Armour+6
Crimson Waistcloth+4
Balder Gauntlets+7

Lightning Spear+3
Halberd+10
Washing Pole+10
Broadsword+10

Grass Crest Shield
Eagle Shield
Dragon Crest Shield
Longbow+10

99 firebombs
999 arrows
100 poison arrows
4 Purging Stones
50+ Crimson Moss
50+ Purple Moss
15 Homeward Bones

40 Humanity
5 Twin Humanity

Soul Level 71 (I think)

Wish me luck :p

Hellcrow

I think I'm ready as I'll ever be for Anor Londo

Stone Helm
Eastern Armour+6
Crimson Waistcloth+4
Balder Gauntlets+7

Lightning Spear+3
Halberd+10
Washing Pole+10
Broadsword+10

Grass Crest Shield
Eagle Shield
Dragon Crest Shield
Longbow+10

99 firebombs
999 arrows
100 poison arrows
4 Purging Stones
50+ Crimson Moss
50+ Purple Moss
15 Homeward Bones

40 Humanity
5 Twin Humanity

Soul Level 71 (I think)

Wish me luck :p

Damn. Can you summon people at that SL?

Damn. Can you summon people at that SL?

Dunno, never tried. Trying to go through solo :)

Do you reckon I'll need help in Anor Londo then? I don't really have the patience to spend days trying to kill a boss, so any help would be appreciated :p

How do you summon people anyway? And how do you make yourself available to be summoned?

Top Bottom