• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Nekki

If you're down, there's nowhere to go but up *wink* *wink* *hint* *wink* *wink* HINT OVERLOAD JDSKFHLAFKJA

edit: the only 100% linear part is the tutorial in the asylum, and even then you can bypass much of it if you really want to. The second you get to the Firelink Shrine the game becomes open and you wouldn't believe the places you can get early on (albeit with much difficulty).

Haha thank you, I had figured it out already but it's nice getting some pointers. Well, I just kinda ragequit after beating the minotaur on the bridge. I had 8k souls and i knew it was kinda reckless... well the dragon's fire killed me in one hit, and then being stupid i died to some random monster so there go my souls. I guess this won't be the last time it will happen. Damn bonfires are scarce! :X Should've gone back to it, meh.

alazz

Haha thank you, I had figured it out already but it's nice getting some pointers. Well, I just kinda ragequit after beating the minotaur on the bridge. I had 8k souls and i knew it was kinda reckless... well the dragon's fire killed me in one hit, and then being stupid i died to some random monster so there go my souls. I guess this won't be the last time it will happen. Damn bonfires are scarce! :X Should've gone back to it, meh.
Yeah, it can burn early on to lose what feels like such a huge amount of souls.
Hint: You should probably take the stairs midway through the bridge down and then take a left.
There's a ladder down the the bonfire; it'll prompt you to kick it so you can go from the bonfire to the bridge directly.

If you want to regain those souls quickly, you can
have the dragon's fire kill the hollow soldiers. Use the above hint to figure it out if you don't already know of the bridge farming.

zkylon

zkylewd
Haha, yeah, FROM definitively put that dragon insta-kill there to teach happy players a lesson: don't be.

It should also teach you two things:
* Pay attention to your surroundings: if you see tons of dead bodies then whatever killed them might be around
* Don't get too attached to anything: 8k souls might seem like a lot, but it's not. 500k isn't a lot either. Quickly invest all your souls and if you lose them, c'est la vie, move on. Know that no matter how many you just lost, you can easily get it back.

Both will help easing the rage. Remember that the one thing the game doesn't take from you when you die is the thing that matters the most: your knowledge of the map and enemies.

lmpaler

Haha, yeah, FROM definitively put that dragon insta-kill there to teach happy players a lesson: don't be.

It should also teach you two things:
* Pay attention to your surroundings: if you see tons of dead bodies then whatever killed them might be around
* Don't get too attached to anything: 8k souls might seem like a lot, but it's not. 500k isn't a lot either. Quickly invest all your souls and if you lose them, c'est la vie, move on. Know that no matter how many you just lost, you can easily get it back.

Both will help easing the rage. Remember that the one thing the game doesn't take from you when you die is the thing that matters the most: your knowledge of the map and enemies.

This. By far. For me I had 33 Humanity and 27k souls and I was stuck in Tomb of the Giants. I couldn't progress further without beating the Great Lord. So I tried to make my way back, carefully as I didn't have a lantern, and I died. No biggie, I will go get my stain back. Nope I for some reason hit roll instead of block and rolled right off the ledge. I didn't play the game for two weeks after that lol. I was pissed.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Y3qCLFT.jpg
I'm sure this is the best item in the game.

sixghost

Nice, ive been trying to do it with red tearstone/club +15/naked and it is such a pain in the ass. I use the two tree people and then the fall damage to get to it easily enough but after raging enough times at artorias, i've been killed trying to activate it. :p It doesn't help that even with red tearstone I can't do enough damage with the club +15 to cancel his charge animation. I have to play it very safe.

I just can't seem to get a perfect fight. I feel like I'm timing the rolls perfectly and I somehow fuck up somewhere. His huge jumping attack has a massive hitbox. I've come so close so many times.

I'm not sure what you did at the beginning where you say you got his attack balance off?

The triple flip attack has a really weird hitbox sometimes. There were times where I would dodge it like normal, but I would get tagged with some damage anyway.

This. By far. For me I had 33 Humanity and 27k souls and I was stuck in Tomb of the Giants. I couldn't progress further without beating the Great Lord. So I tried to make my way back, carefully as I didn't have a lantern, and I died. No biggie, I will go get my stain back. Nope I for some reason hit roll instead of block and rolled right off the ledge. I didn't play the game for two weeks after that lol. I was pissed.

I lost 50 something humanity at tomb of giants just today actually. Both times by accidentally aggoing the skeleton dogs and they hunted me down with impunity. Those bloody things are definitely one of the hardest non-boss enemies along with wheel skeletons

Fucking skeletons.

alazz

Losing Humanity feels like more of a loss to me than souls. It's just so sad :( Also I've had really low drops tonight. Anyone else experiencing that as well?

Wooohoo. Beat Gargoyles and Capra with a newly-started SL1 character. It's easier than I expected, but these guys aren't hard to begin with. Artorias should be a lot of fun with SL1.

SJRB

Gold Member
Tips? Take it slow to start with. Watch out for floor traps and sneaky enemies...and balls. Traps can be dangerous for you and your enemies. Once you get the layout, Sen's is damn easy.

To be fair, the difficulty spike in terms of enemies is pretty huge; the serpent guardians have lots more hp than the enemies in Undead Burg / Blighttown, and their attacks pack quite a punch.

It's definately a point in the game where it picks up pace.

Ziek

So I one-shotted the blighttown boss and steamrolled my way through Sen's Fortress. One-shotted the boss there too. Now I'm at Anor Londo. The only part that gave me trouble was those damn archers. After 5 or 6 tries I made it. Now I'm at the boss. What. The. Fuck. Even with the NPC you can summon, I cannot beat them. I can get through the first phase every time but I just can't beat the second. I've tried at least 15 times now. No humanity left. This is so frustrating!!!

Nekki

My god so i made my run through the bridge, no problems, and I found my shortcut to the bonfire, so that's also a positive one. Wandered around a big, being very careful. A huge boar was awaiting in the distance. I very carefully tried to kill everything around it including archers, and when I got back down i suddenly triggered its attack. I wasn't ready, but then again I don't think you ever are in this game...

Thankfully it wasn't too hard, but my combat style right now is super careless, i could take years waiting for an opening lol. I got to some sort of cathedral where, without warning, I got attacked by a big enemy with a shield and mace. Hit me twice, was almost dead. I thought I was done for, but being careful I could end up killing it using all 4 of my remaining Estus Flasks. Went back to the bonfire to level, lol.

This game is just amazing, but so tense it's kinda draining my energy haha.

SJRB

Gold Member
Wow GFWL is still offline? How the fuck is this even possible? It's been, what, three days now? This is insane.

I want to pvp, goddamnit!

Now Level 74, still haven't reached Ornstein and Smough. Made my way through the archers no problem, my endurance is high enough to sprint across the bridge and endure the arrows you take to the shield before reaching the archers.

What are the Gold and Silver Coins for?

So I one-shotted the blighttown boss and steamrolled my way through Sen's Fortress. One-shotted the boss there too. Now I'm at Anor Londo. The only part that gave me trouble was those damn archers. After 5 or 6 tries I made it. Now I'm at the boss. What. The. Fuck. Even with the NPC you can summon, I cannot beat them. I can get through the first phase every time but I just can't beat the second. I've tried at least 15 times now. No humanity left. This is so frustrating!!!
What level are you and what weapon are you using? If you can one shot qualaag I can't imagine you'll have any trouble against O&S

SJRB

Gold Member
Quelaag has 3200 hp, it's technically impossible to one-shot her. I guess he means that he beat them on his first try.

I almost had a heart attack - I was just lolling around in Sen's and I came across Griggs hollowed in the area with the Black Sorcerer set. I've spent a lot of time in Sen's across countless toons and I've NEVER seen him hollow here before, I jumped out of my skin! lol

Ziek

What level are you and what weapon are you using? If you can one shot qualaag I can't imagine you'll have any trouble against O&S

One try I mean.

I have a Zweihander +10 & Black Knight Shield +3. I also have Large Club +10 and Estoc +10. Now I can't even kill the Royal Sentinels before the boss. My stats are all in STR, END, VIT. SL42. I had a Crystal Halberd, which was working well, because I could poke them from a distance, but it's broken now.

I think I need a quicker weapon.

One try I mean.

I have a Zweihander +10 & Black Knight Shield +3. I also have Large Club +10 and Estoc +10. Now I can't even kill the Royal Sentinels before the boss. My stats are all in STR, END, VIT. SL42. I had a Crystal Halberd, which was working well, because I could poke them from a distance, but it's broken now.

I beat O&S with a Zwi, you just need to pick your battles. When Smough over extends, that's when it's safe to hit and only then if Ornstein is out of range. I kept the two separated by a pillar at all times and never attacked unless one was behind the pillar and one in front. Since Smough's attacks are so slow, I could get a hit in and still slow roll away from his follow up (as long as Ornstein wasn't in range). What level roll do you have?

Also I just run past the Royal Sentinels . . .

I almost had a heart attack - I was just lolling around in Sen's and I came across Griggs hollowed in the area with the Black Sorcerer set. I've spent a lot of time in Sen's across countless toons and I've NEVER seen him hollow here before, I jumped out of my skin! lol

Haha, I had a similar run-in with an NPC in New Londo Ruins last night. Still don't know who that guy was or why he was there.

It's crazy how much the sense of security in this game is dependent on familiarity. I always fear the worst when anything unexpected happens, no matter how insignificant it is.

Haha, I had a similar run-in with an NPC in New Londo Ruins last night. Still don't know who that guy was or why he was there.

It's crazy how much the sense of security in this game is dependent on familiarity. I always fear the worst when anything unexpected happens, no matter how insignificant it is.

I found some bloke throwing fireballs at me in the Great Swamp when I'd been farming it for like an hour. Ran back to the bonfire, and he interrupted it to carry on attacking me. He went down like a bitch though :p

alazz

Wow GFWL is still offline? How the fuck is this even possible? It's been, what, three days now? This is insane.

I want to pvp, goddamnit!

It's been off and on. Every hour or so I'd pop up the home screen to check; sometimes yes, sometimes no. I was able to summon a guy last night and saw a few other summon signs.

SJRB

Gold Member
Finally unlocked the Kiln of the First Flame on my pc playthrough, so glad I can finally see it in its 1920 x 1080 full glory, what an amazing area.

Walking down the stairs gave me goosebumps, it's beautiful.

It's been off and on. Every hour or so I'd pop up the home screen to check; sometimes yes, sometimes no. I was able to summon a guy last night and saw a few other summon signs.

Yeah it was working for me just now, but only for a few moments. GFWL sucks.

bj00rn_

Banned
So I finally beat the game :)

Like I wrote in an earlier post, I played quite a bit of the 360 version with a warrior without getting much anywhere, never got comfortable. So it was a surprise to me after I purchased the PC version on a Steam sale and started to play it again how different the game was for me with a sorcerer build. ..And I guess reading a little bit about it on the internets also helped..

After my first session with the 360 version I would never have thought I would be able to finish the game. But I'm glad I gave it a new chance. And now I'm eagerly awaiting the next game.

Edit: Worth mentioning, I disabled my internet connection through my entire playthrough, LOL. I'm not that happy about the more or less mandatory online part of the game..

To that end I would love it if there were things in game that changed/remixed on repeated playthroughs. For example, it would be awesome if the mimic chests shuffled locations on each level of NG+.

It would have been great if From Soft had been able to get the wandering Black Knights working correctly.

Here's hoping there are more dynamic enemies/levels in Dark Souls II.

alazz

Finally unlocked the Kiln of the First Flame on my pc playthrough, so glad I can finally see it in its 1920 x 1080 full glory, what an amazing area.

Yeah it was working for me just now, but only for a few moments. GFWL sucks.
Amen to both! Kiln was something else. It seemed so far removed from the rest of the game...It felt like rad as hell to walk across the sea of ash and derelict constructs to the ultimate edifice. (Also, what is Kiln of the First Flame supposed to be? Just a giant walled-in oven? Is there any additional lore that's discussed in game about it?)

So I finally beat the game :)

Like I wrote in an earlier post, I played quite a bit of the 360 version with a warrior without getting much anywhere, never got comfortable. So it was a surprise to me after I purchased the PC version on a Steam sale and started to play it again how different the game was for me with a sorcerer build. ..And I guess reading a little bit about it on the internets also helped..

After my first session with the 360 version I would never have thought I would be able to finish the game. But I'm glad I gave it a new chance. And now I'm eagerly awaiting the next game.

Edit: Worth mentioning, I disabled my internet connection through my entire playthrough, LOL. I'm not that happy about the more or less mandatory online part of the game..
Congratulations! You should replay it as a melee character now. Sorcery is fun, but melee is imo the most satisfying. Now that you're familiar with most of the world and enemies, melee shouldn't be too tricky.

You can stay in hollow form the entire playthrough, though. Read all the notes you want and never be invaded! (Though I've seen Grave Servant signs while in hollow, I don't think they can invade.)

zkylon

zkylewd

Kiln of the First Flame is beautiful.

B61AF0BF704899F52664AA005B5355E76ED42589

sixghost

One try I mean.

I've played that boss quite a few times with different characters and the easiest S&O have ever been was with a STR/INT Zweihander build. You wont have the extra damage of Great Magic Weapon, but you should have way more HP and Stamina than I did. You either need to have quite a of poise, either through armor or the wolf ring, or get below 25% equip to get the fastest roll speed.

You're going to want to kill Ornstein first, for sure. His speed separates him from Smough quite often, allowing you to get a good hit in on him before Smough reenters the picture. 2handing the zwei is the best option, IMO. The 2h strong attack works well and will do tons of damage. So I would say keep your shield out when they are close together, but any time there is a bit of separation between the two, two-hand your sword and try to do damage. Ornstein's attacks really aren't too bad when he is your main focus. He starts to crush you when you ignore him and try to do damage to Smough. He actually has quite a few attacks that leave him open.

The real key to the fight is lots and lots of backing up while staying locked on to Ornstein. Smough's attacks are very easy to dodge if you are constantly backing up. Just be careful and take full advantage when the opportunity presents itself.

So I guess I'm not the only one having problems with GFWL...

I start playing the game today for the first time on my PC... and whats this?

User Signed In (Not Online)

Game will start in offline mode, you will not be able to save your game...

Wonderful.

Dear Developers: stop supporting GFWL, damn it.

Mad Max

So I guess I'm not the only one having problems with GFWL...

I start playing the game today for the first time on my PC... and whats this?

User Signed In (Not Online)

Game will start in offline mode, you will not be able to save your game...

Wonderful.

Dear Developers: stop supporting GFWL, damn it.

The game does actually save in offline mode though, so you can just play it that way for a while if you don't mind the lack of summons.

The game does actually save in offline mode though, so you can just play it that way for a while if you don't mind the lack of summons.

Whoops you're right... this is one of those GFWL titles that don't use online saving. I'm assuming summoning happens in the single player game when you come to an area with other playings that have the same stats as you? Like an online PVP/ Co-Op invitation? I just started the game, sorry about the stupid question.

As for GFWL, it's still annoying as it affects some of my other games that do rely on online saving...

ArynCrinn

Banned
SL1 Challenges continued:

Red Dragon = This IS luck-based. But pretty quick and simple with a maxed out Lightning Club. Four shots is all it takes. But if he starts spamming fire AOE's you're pretty much fucked. But no healing all the same.

Seath the Scaleless = No healing, no damage run. Same exact strat I quoted to Seanspeed. Easy breezy, never a issue if you use this strat. On my first try too! :p

ParityBit

Whoops you're right... this is one of those GFWL titles that don't use online saving. I'm assuming summoning happens in the single player game when you come to an area with other playings that have the same stats as you? Like an online PVP/ Co-Op invitation? I just started the game, sorry about the stupid question.

As for GFWL, it's still annoying as it affects some of my other games that do rely on online saving...

Before I lost power I was having this issue also. What I did was log out of the game, and enter back into the game. I never hit a key (was bypassing menus using the DSFix) Letting the game do its own thing let me connect each time afterwards.

Nekki

Finally killed the gargoyles, got to know there are summons in the game.. Is that all humanity is good for apart from upgrading bonfires?

Also the gargoyle dropped an axe, I guess if I upgrade it, it's going to serve me better than this +4 war axe

Edit: I also have a Halberd that has more attack.. Any suggestions what to do?

Before I lost power I was having this issue also. What I did was log out of the game, and enter back into the game. I never hit a key (was bypassing menus using the DSFix) Letting the game do its own thing let me connect each time afterwards.

I've tried that, it didn't work. I also tried uninstalling and reinstalling the GFWL client... didn't do anything. I tried deleting my local AppData\Local\Microsoft folder and restarting... not working. I tried creating a new account like some other people have suggested... nothing. I look at my network connections for GFWL, I get this:

net work adapter: Local Area Connection
Internet IP Address: not signed in
System Link address: not active
UPnP: not signed in

Maybe I need to play around with my network ports?

Pretty annoying. I can live without the GFWL in Dark Souls for now since I am playing single player. But some of my other games like Bulletstorm, the Batman Arkham games and GTA4 rely on GFWL for saving.

Looking at the Dark Souls community page on steam:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/211420/discussions/0/864959088331140352/
http://steamcommunity.com/app/211420/discussions/0/864959336589959326/
http://steamcommunity.com/app/211420/discussions/0/864959336596727659/

I'm not the only one who has been having this issue over the last few days. So maybe I have to sit tight and just wait. Great...

Finally killed the gargoyles, got to know there are summons in the game.. Is that all humanity is good for apart from upgrading bonfires?

Also the gargoyle dropped an axe, I guess if I upgrade it, it's going to serve me better than this +4 war axe

Edit: I also have a Halberd that has more attack.. Any suggestions what to do?
There are loads of weapons, go with what you feel fits your style of play the most. Upgrading a weapon is easy and quick - all you lose are upgrade materials and most are easily bought, farmed or found. Weapons also have stat modifiers, so if you are levelling up, say, strength - then you would want to go for one of the weapons that increases well with that stat - B, A, S grade. Two handing a weapon also increases it's attack damage.

Humanity has several uses, all important:

- They fully heal you - recommended only if you're desperate or flush with them.
- They increase resistances and other stats like item discovery and damage output of chaos weapons.
- Kindle bonfires and return to human form - Kindling increases Estus flask refills up to 20, human form is needed for most online PvP features. Summoning other players, invading and being invaded etc.

Nekki

There are loads of weapons, go with what you feel fits your style of play the most. Upgrading a weapon is easy and quick - all you lose are upgrade materials and most are easily bought, farmed or found. Weapons also have stat modifiers, so if you are levelling up, say, strength - then you would want to go for one of the weapons that increases well with that stat - B, A, S grade. Two handing a weapon also increases it's attack damage.

Humanity has several uses, all important:

- They fully heal you - recommended only if you're desperate or flush with them.
- They increase resistances and other stats like item discovery and damage output of chaos weapons.
- Kindle bonfires and return to human form - Kindling increases Estus flask refills up to 20, human form is needed for most online PvP features. Summoning other players, invading and being invaded etc.

Hmm, I see. Thanks for the explanation!! I guess i should try the lance before deciding if I stick with axes (which I'm liking) or swap to that (better reach is almost convincing me).

Boogdud

If it wasn't for Durante I wouldn't be playing this game. I had it on the 360 and the performance turned me off so much that I traded it in a couple days after buying it (even after buying the collector's edition guide).

Now that I have it on my gaming rig running at a solid 60fps in higher res, the game is a completely different experience.

This game went from being a disappointment for me, to my favorite game this generation. All thanks to Durante.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Now that I have it on my gaming rig running at a solid 60fps in higher res, the game is a completely different experience.

This game went from being a disappointment for me, to my favorite game this generation. All thanks to Durante.

Yeah, watching Durante's patch progress unfold was the only reason I picked the game up.

Pollux

Still stuck on that spider woman in the blight town swamp. Going to take a break for a couple days to let go of my frustration and then get back to it. I thought the game was clicking, and then this happens. I'll get her down to the last shred of health and she'll do this attack that one hit KO's me. Don't really know what to do. Been trying to beat her for over a week I think.

Top Bottom