• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

sixghost

This boss is the anti my play style. I usually go for a patient style, so O&S was more doable personally.

I love that aspect of this game. Depending on your build, you can absolutely wipe the floor with the boss that gave someone else tons of trouble. And they can do the reverse against a boss that more suits their build.

Raide

OK, trying to make a SunBro. SL 25 currently, so where is the best spot to put my sign? Near to Gargoyles or near to Blighttown?

6for8

OK, trying to make a SunBro. SL 25 currently, so where is the best spot to put my sign? Near to Gargoyles or near to Blighttown?

Parish you might be a little high but should still get some action. The room at the top of the ladder from the burg can get you summoned but you will be expected to kill the dragon and get the tail.
Near the sunbro bonfire on the stairs before the boar.
Inside the church near the firekeepers soul or outside of the church on your way to the blacksmith.

Try the bridge before Capra. If you time it right you can get summoned and beat the boss in 30seconds.

At level 25 you will get summoned in Sens and Anor Londo as well.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Also try the bottom bonfire of Blighttown, you should see plenty of Quelaag action.
I saw this on reddit. It's an album of images of old Steve Jackson "Sorcery" books, and "Fighting Fantazine," a couple of things that Miyazaki has quoted as being inspirational to both DeS and DS.

http://imgur.com/a/CmTs6

zqZ1E7w.jpg

I loved those books as a kid! And funnily enough, long before I read about Miyazaki being inspired by them, I always thought Demon's Souls had an old "Fighting Fantasy/Sorcery!" feel to it, though I couldn't really explain why. Maybe it's the brave-adventurer-exploring-unknown-lands-no-one-ever-returned-alive-from feel (I was particularly reminded of the Balkands in the Seven Serpents), I dunno, but it really felt like those old gamebooks somehow. When I later saw that he was inspired by those books in an interview, it felt pretty awesome. Silly, I know.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Reloaded a backup on my no upgrade run, directly before O&S. I may try to do this again while recording while I grind out 4King's on the other save. But I actually found the best weapon to use against Ornstein for this rule set, the Occult Club! It does 282dmg on a R2 with Red Tearstone, so that makes it a bit easier. Smough is of course dealt with via the Giant Hammer.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Reloaded a backup on my no upgrade run [...] Occult Club!
I don't understand your rules. Sure, the occult club is "loot" and not something you upgraded yourself, but it's still at its core a club with the Occult upgrade path. If your rule prevents you from using only stuff you upgraded yourself, you could still use the Lightning spear (not too great vs S&O but still powerful for most of the game), do you ever use that one in your run?

Sullichin

I don't understand your rules. Sure, the occult club is "loot" and not something you upgraded yourself, but it's still at its core a club with the Occult upgrade path. If your rule prevents you from using only stuff you upgraded yourself, you could still use the Lightning spear (not too great vs S&O but still powerful for most of the game), do you ever use that one in your run?

SL1 pyromancers don't have enough dex to use the spear/lightning spear

edit: just a random screenshot, crystal caves look pretty nice on PC

ArynCrinn

Banned

Pretty much, no upgrades simply means I can only use stuff that is scavenged from the world (without upgrading what you find), and in that pool whatever my stats allow me to wield. Some allow "downgrades" to allow the same club to be used for Nito, but I'm personally not allowing that since it wouldn't be a untouched loot item.

And yeah, Lightning Spear is out of the question for two reasons, takes forever to kill Ornstein with Lightning Weapons (the hammer is superior for Smough), and the stat requirements are too high for me to use it. But I do really wish I could use the Crystal Halberd... :(

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
SL1 pyromancers don't have enough dex to use the spear/lightning spear
Oh, so he's doing SL1 too. Ok.

Pretty much, no upgrades simply means I can only use stuff that is scavenged from the world (without upgrading what you find), and in that pool whatever my stats allow me to wield. Some allow "downgrades" to allow the same club to be used for Nito, but I'm personally not allowing that since it wouldn't be a untouched loot item.

And yeah, Lightning Spear is out of the question for two reasons, takes forever to kill Ornstein with Lightning Weapons (the hammer is superior for Smough), and the stat requirements are too high for me to use it. But I do really wish I could use the Crystal Halberd... :(

Gotcha. That's too hardcore for me, to be honest. Though I had a fun with the "whale force" concept. You guys familiar with it?

Seance

Banned
So I finally beat the game :)

Like I wrote in an earlier post, I played quite a bit of the 360 version with a warrior without getting much anywhere, never got comfortable. So it was a surprise to me after I purchased the PC version on a Steam sale and started to play it again how different the game was for me with a sorcerer build. ..And I guess reading a little bit about it on the internets also helped..

After my first session with the 360 version I would never have thought I would be able to finish the game. But I'm glad I gave it a new chance. And now I'm eagerly awaiting the next game.

Edit: Worth mentioning, I disabled my internet connection through my entire playthrough, LOL. I'm not that happy about the more or less mandatory online part of the game..

Could've stayed hollow. Summoning NPC's adds HP to the Bosses.

Jarsonot

So I was thinking... Since Dark Souls 2 takes place in the same "universe" as Dark Souls, will we be seeing many of the same spells/miracles?

I mean, oolacile and vinnheim would still be the primary sources of magical study, right? And though I haven't yet done a faith playthrough (so haven't paid a lot of attention to the faith lore) I assume the same can be said for miracles?

I hope we don't see many repeats, but then part of me thinks, if none of that lore is carried over, what's the point of having the game be in the same universe as the first?

I'm not so worried about weapons. I expect to see the same basic "core" weapons. Swords/clubs/axes etc. with some new unique weapons - that's explainable for a new region of the land...

Whaddya guys think about the magic though?

Fake edit: just considered the DLC new spells... Hmm...

So I was thinking... Since Dark Souls 2 takes place in the same "universe" as Dark Souls, will we be seeing many of the same spells/miracles?

I mean, oolacile and vinnheim would still be the primary sources of magical study, right? And though I haven't yet done a faith playthrough (so haven't paid a lot of attention to the faith lore) I assume the same can be said for miracles?

I hope we don't see many repeats, but then part of me thinks, if none of that lore is carried over, what's the point of having the game be in the same universe as the first?

I'm not so worried about weapons. I expect to see the same basic "core" weapons. Swords/clubs/axes etc. with some new unique weapons - that's explainable for a new region of the land...

Whaddya guys think about the magic though?

Fake edit: just considered the DLC new spells... Hmm...

I'm sure there will be lore connections to Vinheim and all that but I don't think it will constrain any of their magic choices. They could pretty much explain away any significant changes based on how far ahead or behind in time Dark Souls II is relative to Dark Souls I.

And they can always create new "factions" of magic like they did with the abyss sorceries in the DLC.

zkylon

zkylewd
Well since spells/miracles have to be learn from sources such as scrolls or other magicians, you can just explain the missing spells by saying that the scroll just didn't make its way towards wherever the game's set.

Jarsonot

Well since spells/miracles have to be learn from sources such as scrolls or other magicians, you can just explain the missing spells by saying that the scroll just didn't make its way towards wherever the game's set.

True. And there could be rogue magicians, or even a new unheard of branch. I guess in a way I'd be disappointed if it were a favorite fantasy book series and they just changed a bunch of lore around or introduced new concepts deus ex machina style to fit a new book in the series.

I don't think it would be difficult to explain NEW magic spells, but (to me) it may be difficult to explain why people aren't using the OLD magic spells also. A magical bolt is pretty basic and useful, same for some of the others. If Vinnheim and Oolacile are well known in magical circles then I'd expect those spells to be well known and utilized as well.

But maybe it needs to be like the weapons, in that you'll have your core basic spells along with some new unique ones.

This feels like a pretty nerdy rant to me. =) Let's just say I was thinking about how they might tie the lore together with this new game - what would the connections be? I figured there would be shared histories and "deities", leading me to think about the magic and... Yeah. Not so much a concern as interesting food for thought.

Day 1. Dlc? Day 1. Wii U? Double dip. I'm ready.

Can you get a second Ring of Favor and Protection on New Game+? Because I was stupid and pushed Lautrec off the cliff, forgetting that I wanted another one. (That way, I could afford to take off the one I was using and play with other combos of rings before putting one back on.)

I think I may just take it off anyway, I'm sick of not being able to have two ring slots.

LegatoB

Can you get a second Ring of Favor and Protection on New Game+? Because I was stupid and pushed Lautrec off the cliff, forgetting that I wanted another one. (That way, I could afford to take off the one I was using and play with other combos of rings before putting one back on.)

I think I may just take it off anyway, I'm sick of not being able to have two ring slots.
If you pushed him off the cliff, when you load your game and go back to where he was sitting, you should be able to pick up the ring.

This is what my GF made me for valentines day :3

http://imgur.com/XRfTzBU.jpg
Too cute!

You can get a second from Snuggly too - forget what you have to trade, I think it's the Xanthious Crown. Agree with you though, the loss of a ring slot vs the boosts the ring gives - I usually choose having the 2 slots, especially since I almost always use Havel's.

sixghost

Not that it helps you now, but if you kick Lautrec off the cliff, immediately quit and reload the game. The drop will just be sitting there.

zkylon

zkylewd
True. And there could be rogue magicians, or even a new unheard of branch. I guess in a way I'd be disappointed if it were a favorite fantasy book series and they just changed a bunch of lore around or introduced new concepts deus ex machina style to fit a new book in the series.

I don't think it would be difficult to explain NEW magic spells, but (to me) it may be difficult to explain why people aren't using the OLD magic spells also. A magical bolt is pretty basic and useful, same for some of the others. If Vinnheim and Oolacile are well known in magical circles then I'd expect those spells to be well known and utilized as well.

But maybe it needs to be like the weapons, in that you'll have your core basic spells along with some new unique ones.

This feels like a pretty nerdy rant to me. =) Let's just say I was thinking about how they might tie the lore together with this new game - what would the connections be? I figured there would be shared histories and "deities", leading me to think about the magic and... Yeah. Not so much a concern as interesting food for thought.

Day 1. Dlc? Day 1. Wii U? Double dip. I'm ready.
I really love DkS lore, but I think magic availability won't be a real topic because of what I said earlier.

Still super exciting if we see new spells with new stories tho.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
You can get a second from Snuggly too - forget what you have to trade, I think it's the Xanthious Crown. Agree with you though, the loss of a ring slot vs the boosts the ring gives - I usually choose having the 2 slots, especially since I almost always use Havel's.

Personally I prefer the boost, almost nothing else is as good as a boost to stamina, equip burden and HP. It's only annoying when you have to wear something like the abyss or lava ring in addition to it (and in those cases you can't wear a Ring of Sacrifice either, so dying on the lava is stressful to locate your bloodstain in that glare... luckily that rarely happens xD).

I'm always switching rings out, especially for bosses and co-op. The magic/miracle boosting ones, stuff like that, gold serpent for farming, I organise the most used ones together in the inventory so it's quick to switch in and out. And always use Havel's, so it feels like I'm always down to 1 slot any way - why can't we have necklaces too!

Nekki

Gaping dragon was easy, now i got the blighttown key. I thought it was on the way past that graveyard but the catacombs are there.. and that place scared me away already rofl.

I think there was a place around the blacksmith...

I upgraded my battle axe to Raw status, went from ~140 to ~160. Nice stuff... but just as I did that i found a Zweihander... and the stats look pretty nice. It looks like it's going to be a slower, more cumbersome weapon though.

Should i start using the Zwei or keep the Battle axe? Decisions... decisions...

Sullichin

Gaping dragon was easy, now i got the blighttown key. I thought it was on the way past that graveyard but the catacombs are there.. and that place scared me away already rofl.

I upgraded my battle axe to Raw status, went from ~140 to ~160. Nice stuff... but just as I did that i found a Zweihander... and the stats look pretty nice. It looks like it's going to be a slower, more cumbersome weapon though.

Zwei. Use the battle axe for now, but take the zwei along the normal upgrade path (not raw) and switch to it when it outclasses the battle axe. Raw is good for a certain part of the game but gets outclassed by the normal upgrade path. Zweihander is one of the best weapons in the game, but if you don't like the move set/slow speed there's plenty of other choices.

As for the blighttown entrance, that key opens a door
in the depths
and there is another entrance if you have the master key.

I've never tried a battle axe. The Zweihander is pretty cool, but I prefer the smaller and faster weapons personally.

Man, I loved this game so much I'm tempted to buy a PS3 just so I can play Demon's Souls. Never even had a desire to get a PS3 until now.

oracrest

I've never tried a battle axe. The Zweihander is pretty cool, but I prefer the smaller and faster weapons personally.

Man, I loved this game so much I'm tempted to buy a PS3 just so I can play Demon's Souls. Never even had a desire to get a PS3 until now.

So worth it.

Perhaps I'll snag one with my tax return.

Looking at Amazon, they still seem somewhat expensive. I wish I could get one for around $100 or less...guess I can keep my eyes on eBay/Craigslist.

Nekki

Zwei. Use the battle axe for now, but take the zwei along the normal upgrade path (not raw) and switch to it when it outclasses the battle axe. Raw is good for a certain part of the game but gets outclassed by the normal upgrade path. Zweihander is one of the best weapons in the game, but if you don't like the move set/slow speed there's plenty of other choices.

As for the blighttown entrance, that key opens a door
in the depths
and there is another entrance if you have the master key.

I might do that, although to be honest Battle axe is already quite slow, don't know if I want an even slower weapon lol. Although having that restriction is good because it forces me not to recklessly attack

I've been getting my ass handed to me by Gwyn, decide to look it up on wiki, turns out he's resistant to lightning and I've been using the lightning spear the whole time. *facepalm*

Can't wait for this bastard to die -- I'm itching to start a new character and go through that early-game experience with what I know now.

Yeah, I've kind of wanted one for a few odd games like Journey and some other PSN stuff, but Demon's Souls might actually get me to cave.

I've been getting my ass handed to me by Gwyn, decide to look it up on wiki, turns out he's resistant to lightning and I've been using the lightning spear the whole time. *facepalm*

Can't wait for this bastard to die -- I'm itching to start a new character and go through that early-game experience with what I know now.

Yeah, I've kind of wanted one for a few odd games like Journey and some other PSN stuff, but Demon's Souls might actually get me to cave.

Yeah, Gwyn is weak against fire. I've always found that to be a little bit baffling.

Isn't he seen throwing a giant lightning bolt at the dragons in the opening cutscene? I think the weakness to fire is poetic given the lore.

It's just one of the idiosyncrasies of Dark Souls lore. Gwyn is the Lord of Sunlight, but in the DkS universe the sun is more associated with lightning than fire.

Which from an outside perspective is kind of strange, but in the lore it makes enough sense.

Personally,
I've always imagined that the weakness to fire came after Gwyn linked the flames and became a weakened husk of his former self.

It's just one of the idiosyncrasies of Dark Souls lore. Gwyn is the Lord of Sunlight, but in the DkS universe the sun is more associated with lightning than fire.

Which from an outside perspective is kind of strange, but in the lore it makes enough sense.

Personally,
I've always imagined that the weakness to fire came after Gwyn linked the flames and became a weakened husk of his former self.

Yeah, that's the way I saw it too.

You know, looking back, accidentally deleting my Dark Souls save about 6 hours in was the best thing for me. I was honestly not enjoying myself particularly, as I had not made it far at all, and was really struggling with the mechanics/controls. I spent way to long thinking I was supposed to kill the skeletons, and an equal amount trying (and failing) to kill the Taurus Demon. I nearly gave up, and was pretty mad when I accidentally deleted my save game.

But I decided to start over and give it one more chance. This time around I took it a bit slower, and had more of an idea of what I was doing, and actually made progress. And then got completely sucked into the experience. 85 hours later and I'm still loving the game.

I also love the lore in the Dark Souls universe. At first, I felt like there was essentially no story, and just a sort of barebones universe to fit the interesting combat and gameplay into. But the more you play, and the closer you pay attention to the world, item descriptions, npc dialogue, etc, the more interesting and deep it gets. There's really so much to the lore, and nearly every bit of the game seems to contribute to it. It never spoonfeeds it to you, and you can play the entire game with nearly no idea of what's going on, but if you take the chance to try and figure things out it's really rewarding.

ArynCrinn

Banned
He should get back into more challenge related stuff, that was the most interesting stuff gameplay-wise that everybody sort of participated in. I can live without lore, opinionated analysis, random musings.

He should get back into more challenge related stuff, that was the most interesting stuff gameplay-wise that everybody sort of participated in. I can live without lore, opinionated analysis, random musings.

Honestly I liked almost all of his videos, including most of the non-Souls stuff. The only vids that I straight up had no interest in were his Soul Sacrifice videos (nothing about that game appeals to me), which is a bummer because that's apparently the game he's currently obsessed with.

The challenge stuff is cool, but there's only so far you can go with it.

Now he is completely burnt out on the Souls games, and wont even post other games he plays because his fans rage that its not souls related. He cant stand it....Poor guy.

Yeah...he's also right about to have a kid, so between that, his job and the shmup he's working on, I doubt he's gonna have much time for videos.

Top Bottom