• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Still stuck on that spider woman in the blight town swamp. Going to take a break for a couple days to let go of my frustration and then get back to it. I thought the game was clicking, and then this happens. I'll get her down to the last shred of health and she'll do this attack that one hit KO's me. Don't really know what to do. Been trying to beat her for over a week I think.

There's a phantom you can summon just outside the fog door I think. From recollection, its a phantom better used as a distraction while you go in from the side, as it doesn;t do that much damage itself, and is vanquished relatively easily :)

ParityBit

Still stuck on that spider woman in the blight town swamp. Going to take a break for a couple days to let go of my frustration and then get back to it. I thought the game was clicking, and then this happens. I'll get her down to the last shred of health and she'll do this attack that one hit KO's me. Don't really know what to do. Been trying to beat her for over a week I think.

There's a phantom you can summon just outside the fog door I think. From recollection, its a phantom better used as a distraction while you go in from the side, as it doesn;t do that much damage itself, and is vanquished relatively easily :)

Also, look for some friends around the bonfire. I always saw lots of summon signs

If you summon the phantom (mildred), 2 hand your weapon and hack away because the phantom won't last for long. Be weary of the AoE and you're done!

Keep an eye on what she's doing. Before the AoE attack she kind of slumps down, you can usually tell when she's going to do that or spit lava. Attacking from the side gives you a better view of what the woman part is doing, and if you're at the back she can do that gas attack that is also quite deadly.

Also, this is one of those times where locking on is completely unnecessary.

sixghost

That boss is one of the first big skill checks in the game. If you aren't looking for visual attack cues that boss will crush you. The big AoE attack is telegraphed by her leaning over and hugging the spider. You'll have more than enough time to get away if you are looking for it.

It's an important lesson you need to learn for the rest of the game.

Pollux

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll try again tonight. I do notice her doing the AoE attack but I never can get far enough away and it just one shots me.

Oh well, haha.

6for8

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll try again tonight. I do notice her doing the AoE attack but I never can get far enough away and it just one shots me.

Oh well, haha.

If her blast is killing you, try flashsweat. If you bring Mildred with you she will provide you the time & space needed to cast it. The Dragon Crest and the Black Knight are great shields for this boss.

When using a shield remember to save some stamina. A perfect shield with a drained stamina bar will protect you not.

If you are two-handing, cast flash sweat. If you get cornered and can’t roll to safety, blocking with your weapon can save your life.

Pollux

If her blast is killing you, try flashsweat. If you bring Mildred with you she will provide you the time & space needed to cast it. The Dragon Crest and the Black Knight are great shields for this boss.

When using a shield remember to save some stamina. A perfect shield with a drained stamina bar will protect you not.

If you are two-handing, cast flash sweat. If you get cornered and can’t roll to safety, blocking with your weapon can save your life.
I'm sorry, but what is flash sweat? On my phone so I can't look anything up

Soulhouf

I believe the AoE attack is magic based, so Flashsweat won't do anything.

I'm coming up on the Gargoyles now. Should I expect much of a pineapple arse raping?

Depends.

If you summon Solaire (or an online player) and use golden pine resin, you can breeze through the fight in a good thirty seconds.

If you don't summon any help (and depending on your armor/equipment) you might have a tough time.

I'd recommend trying the fight solo at least a couple times before co-oping it.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Spent all morning twinking noobs in Dark Souls, in the Burg. For once the netcode lag doesn't ruin my enjoyment of the online with hitbox range issues, damage not registering and totally inconsistent i-frames. Got it all recorded too. The Demon of the Church!

Like how a couple people who can actually fight camp out to catch people like me, makes it fun to mix things up. Still want to learn to PvP better, but damn the netcode kind of drains any enjoyment out of real competition sometimes.

Ziek

Finally defeated Ornstein & Smough!
Lautrec's
pvp battle was difficult but I was able to get it after a few tries. With his ring I can finally wear Havel's stuff without being a complete oaf. So much Poise :)

Seanspeed

Banned
I'm coming up on the Gargoyles now. Should I expect much of a pineapple arse raping?
Yea, probably.

Personally, I always tried to solo bosses. Summoning is basically like 'easy mode' for bosses if you're completely and totally stuck. I think summoning from the get-go would ruin a bit of the thrill of the fight.

EDIT: Also tried NG+ today. Not really feelin it. Sense of exploration is gone now that I know where most everything is, whats coming up, and probably already have whatever loot there is to find. I got all the way to Undead Parish in no time(only dying once), and the enemies started to finally feel a little bit dangerous, but I dont think there's a whole lot of incentive to keep going other than for raw challenge, which isn't my thing. A NG+ mode has to do a good bit more than this to keep me interested.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Yea, probably.

Personally, I always tried to solo bosses. Summoning is basically like 'easy mode' for bosses if you're completely and totally stuck. I think summoning from the get-go would ruin a bit of the thrill of the fight.

EDIT: Also tried NG+ today. Not really feelin it. Sense of exploration is gone now that I know where most everything is, whats coming up, and probably already have whatever loot there is to find. I got all the way to Undead Parish in no time(only dying once), and the enemies started to finally feel a little bit dangerous, but I dont think there's a whole lot of incentive to keep going other than for raw challenge, which isn't my thing. A NG+ mode has to do a good bit more than this to keep me interested.

Try a SL4 run (Hunter Class). It has great stats for a wide diversity of weapons and equipment, and decent VIT/END. There's a definite new sense of exploration in figuring out the best equipment, rings and weapon setups for a run like this, as well as upgrade paths you might not have explored before.

Seanspeed

Banned
Try a SL4 run (Hunter Class). It has great stats for a wide diversity of weapons and equipment, and decent VIT/END. There's a definite new sense of exploration in figuring out the best equipment, rings and weapon setups for a run like this, as well as upgrade paths you might not have explored before.
Are these base soul level runs like really difficult? I'm quite happy with my accomplishment of just beating the game as it is. I'm not trying to torture myself here.

If its just quite challenging rather than painfully hard, I think I'd be interested.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Are these base soul level runs like really difficult? I'm quite happy with my accomplishment of just beating the game as it is. I'm not trying to torture myself here.

If its just quite challenging rather than painfully hard, I think I'd be interested.

If you just do it as a pure no-level up base-SL run, it's only quite challenging. But once you start imposing other restrictions (like no healing, no damage, no elementals) it can become torturous for some things. So my recommendation on your first go is just do a pure no-level up run and play simply the way you want.

And like I said, a whole different kind of exploration opens up, which imo is much more rewarding. You'll discover new techniques, new upgrades, new weapons and master all of those move sets for a wide variety of situations. Can't recommend it enough.

Watch this SL1 playthrough Guide! It's easier than you might think, and it's a lot of fun too. A SL4 Hunter would be far easier than this guide too.

Seanspeed

Banned
If you just do it as a pure no-level up base-SL run, it's only quite challenging. But once you start imposing other restrictions (like no healing, no damage, no elementals) it can become torturous for some things. So my recommendation on your first go is just do a pure no-level up run and play simply the way you want.

And like I said, a whole different kind of exploration opens up, which imo is much more rewarding. You'll discover new techniques, new upgrades, new weapons and master all of those move sets for a wide variety of situations. Can't recommend it enough.

Watch this SL1 playthrough Guide! It's easier than you might think, and it's a lot of fun too. A SL4 Hunter would be far easier than this guide too.
Sold. Also gonna buy the DLC since I've got 2000 MS points(almost typed 'souls' lol) lying around. I think that'll add some extra 'newness' to this, even though that wont come til much later.

Question on that, though. Can I buy the DLC in the middle of a playthrough and have it available? Or do I have to start a new game to have it activate?

ArynCrinn

Banned
Sold. Also gonna buy the DLC since I've got 2000 MS points(almost typed 'souls' lol) lying around. I think that'll add some extra 'newness' to this, even though that wont come til much later.

Question on that, though. Can I buy the DLC in the middle of a playthrough and have it available? Or do I have to start a new game to have it activate?

I'm actually not sure on that, I haven't even started playing the DLC on the PS3 version I've been so preoccupied with PC. But I think you should be able to access it so long as you've saved Dusk and placed the Lodvessell...

Don't need to start a new game, but you need to be far enough along to access it.

I started again with a different build and enjoyed the run until the DLC. It doesn't take long at all when you know what to do.

Mileena

Banned
I'm actually not sure on that, I haven't even started playing the DLC on the PS3 version I've been so preoccupied with PC. But I think you should be able to access it so long as you've saved Dusk and placed the Lodvessell...

this is true, for PS3 version at least

Seanspeed

Banned
Ok, thanks. One last question(for now)! As a Hunter, SL4, will I be able to cast magic? I was kinda hoping to do a bit of that since I didn't once use it in my first playthrough.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Ok, thanks. One last question(for now)! As a Hunter, SL4, will I be able to cast magic? I was kinda hoping to do a bit of that since I didn't once use it in my first playthrough.

I think you may be able to use some spells, but most spells are determined by your INT and it'll never be very high at any base SL. Also keep in mind the Hunter has no attunements slots, so it's either Darkmoon Seance Ring or bust. In the Attunement category you may well be better off as a SL1 or even SL5 Knight.

In any case, no matter which you choose, to get any decent magic usage you might as well roll a base SL Sorcerer. And even then you'll be greatly limited in your spell options. Everything else is mostly a mix of melee and pyro.

6for8

I believe the AoE attack is magic based, so Flashsweat won't do anything.

Getting the Dragon shield and flash sweat has always been my #1 priority for this boss, used it on low levels into ng++. Needed to see if I was wasting my time so I ran down there to test it out. I couldn't get her to cast it when I had flash sweat active, no matter how many times I punched her in the junk. FS cuts the damage taken from all of her other attacks and when you step in the lava pools. As for the blast, the crest shield allows twice as much damage through over the dragon crest shield. Definite fire based unless I am missing something. Dragon shield is a must and at that point in the game you don't have many body buffs, so cast flashsweat. She did do a jump attack and spitting lava in 3 directions that I have never seen before. That really hurt.

2AdEPT

I'm sorry, but what is flash sweat? On my phone so I can't look anything up

IIrc the aoe is magic, not fire...the flashsweat only helps fire I think. so just wear better magic resist armour...if you go back to firelink there may be a set there that wasn't before....there is also a set in blightown itself , the red crimson set that has higher magic resist. But yeah...just hire the phantom and hang back...only go when she is already spewing lava or swinging her fury-sword isit safe to go in. Just hit her legs...they are easy targets.

Nekki

Damn that capra demon is kicking my ass, though i'm slowly getting better at it. Can you sell the extra equipment in this game?? I have a lot of extra stuff i'll never use.

Damn that capra demon is kicking my ass, though i'm slowly getting better at it. Can you sell the extra equipment in this game?? I have a lot of extra stuff i'll never use.

You can sell stuff, but only after a certain point in the story.

With Capra Demon I found that if you can survive the first thirty seconds or so of the fight and kill his dogs, you're pretty much good to go. If you're having trouble blocking his big attacks, try upgrading your shield or getting one with higher stability.

Nekki

Damn, I beat it!! Yeah, I always aimed to kill the dogs but I'd die without a chance of doing much.

I could block his attacks no problem, but when he did the dual sword pound, it always broke through my guard and dealt A LOT of damage. I figured if i dodge right as it's doing that attack, it missed me completely, so I defeated him with ease once i figured that out.

Damn, I beat it!! Yeah, I always aimed to kill the dogs but I'd die without a chance of doing much.

I could block his attacks no problem, but when he did the dual sword pound, it always broke through my guard and dealt A LOT of damage. I figured if i dodge right as it's doing that attack, it missed me completely, so I defeated him with ease once i figured that out.

Good stuff. That fight is certainly a bit of a milestone.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Alright, NG+ hellkite. How the hell do I stop his fire from one shotting me?

Black iron set, flame stoneplate ring, flash sweat, but I just die in one fire breath. :(

Black iron set, flame stoneplate ring, flash sweat, but I just die in one fire breath. :(

If you time it absolutely right, you can get through without being hit. Since you're being one-shotted anyway, remember to take at least enough equipment off for full mobility

sixghost

Are you trying to kill it or just get past it? I honestly don't know if there is a reproducible way to get past that dragon. It's the one thing in the game that still has that air of mystery, which I love. My go to strategy is to go out just far enough to trigger the dragon, then make a run for it with <25% equip once the fire dissipates. Sometimes the dragon won't attack at all after you do that. Sometimes the dragon will ruin your life and one hit you 5 times in a row.

People always say it's got something to do with not being on the oil, but I've gotten one hit when following that rule, so who knows.

Are you using a shield, by the way? That will use up your stamina to soften the blow a bit.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Everyone is talking about pyromancy, but I have no idea where to get any of these attacks...
There's a
guy trapped in a barrel in the area just before the depths (after capra demon) who wants you to save him. ROLL to break the barrel to free him. He'll be in Firelink Shrine later. He's the normal pyro trainer.

There's also a woman sitting near one of the pillars near Quelaag's lair. She's the advanced pyro trainer, and only shows up sometimes (but stays after you talk to her once).

There's also an egg dude in the area near Quelaag's sister, who will sell you "odd" pyromancies if you get yourself eggheaded and then talk to him.

Sullichin

Are you trying to kill it or just get past it? I honestly don't know if there is a reproducible way to get past that dragon. It's the one thing in the game that still has that air of mystery, which I love. My go to strategy is to go out just far enough to trigger the dragon, then make a run for it with <25% equip once the fire dissipates. Sometimes the dragon won't attack at all after you do that. Sometimes the dragon will ruin your life and one hit you 5 times in a row.

People always say it's got something to do with not being on the oil, but I've gotten one hit when following that rule, so who knows.

Are you using a shield, by the way? That will use up your stamina to soften the blow a bit.

If you hang out in the walled area in the middle of the bridge and shoot an arrow at him, he always comes down to the bridge allowing you to get past. If you don't have a bow, you can run into the wall for several seconds and for some reason this makes him jump down too :p

I once tried Demons Souls for an hour or so and stopped. I'm thinking I should give it another chance...or should I go straight to Dark Souls at this point?

ArynCrinn

Banned
I once tried Demons Souls for an hour or so and stopped. I'm thinking I should give it another chance...or should I go straight to Dark Souls at this point?

Demon's first, Dark second if you have the opportunity. For me it just felt like a really nice progression and there's stuff in both games that's worthwhile to experience.

oracrest

I saw this on reddit. It's an album of images of old Steve Jackson "Sorcery" books, and "Fighting Fantazine," a couple of things that Miyazaki has quoted as being inspirational to both DeS and DS.

http://imgur.com/a/CmTs6

zqZ1E7w.jpg

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

I'm trying to kill it. Already rung the first bell and everything.

Gotta say, running through the second time in NG+ really shows that the levels can be done pretty fast.

sixghost

If you hang out in the walled area in the middle of the bridge and shoot an arrow at him, he always comes down to the bridge allowing you to get past. If you don't have a bow, you can run into the wall for several seconds and for some reason this makes him jump down too :p

Yeah, that's what I do. I still get killed running over there some times.

Hellcrow

This game is so hard to pick up when you are stuck, but I can't stop thinking about it.

Tried a new tactic for the 4 kings. DPS. I applied lightning resin, some stamina leafs and two-handed my best weapon. It seemed like the kings foresaw my plan, because his 3 first attacks was all spin-attacks with explosions and time-consuming soul sucking.

However, I think I'm on to something. Just need a bit more luck.

zkylon

zkylewd
This game is so hard to pick up when you are stuck, but I can't stop thinking about it.

Tried a new tactic for the 4 kings. DPS. I applied lightning resin, some stamina leafs and two-handed my best weapon. It seemed like the kings foresaw my plan, because his 3 first attacks was all spin-attacks with explosions and time-consuming soul sucking.

However, I think I'm on to something. Just need a bit more luck.
DPS is no doubt the way to go. Two hand your best weapon and just try to rush through it. You don't have to go total hyphy, tho, just a bit.

ArynCrinn

Banned
This boss is the anti my play style. I usually go for a patient style, so O&S was more doable personally.

I know you've probably read this to death. But the easiest way to get rid of 4 Kings is Havel's Set, Power Within, Green Blossoms, and your highest damage weapon while swigging Estus. Using that strat you will have them down in 10 tries tops.

zkylon

zkylewd
This boss is the anti my play style. I usually go for a patient style, so O&S was more doable personally.
Yeah, 4Ks is pretty bullshitty for that particular reason. I don't enjoy the boss at all, for me it has always felt cheap.

Also personally I never found the havel set to be useful. I went with very low weight to roll through his damage.

Top Bottom