• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Man, as much as I love this game and the many things it does right, the PvP "invasion" bullshit just fucking sucks. I'm sure it's cool for the people who want to focus on that aspect of the game, but as someone who prefers to stick to single player and co-op, it's horribly annoying and unfun.

I hope Dark Souls II has a way to turn it off, or at least better ways to manage it.

zkylon

zkylewd
Man, as much as I love this game and the many things it does right, the PvP "invasion" bullshit just fucking sucks. I'm sure it's cool for the people who want to focus on that aspect of the game, but as someone who prefers to stick to single player and co-op, it's horribly annoying and unfun.

I hope Dark Souls II has a way to turn it off, or at least better ways to manage it.
? Just play in hollow form.

Or play the PC version.

That's what I'm playing? What is different about it?

Being invaded is just about the best bit for me. Sure I got killed 95% of the time, but you are going to die anyway and those times when you win are too glorious to pass up.

I love the concept of it, and I've really liked some of the encounters, but most of the time it just pisses me off.

You can be summoned while in Hollow form.

Really? I guess I always assumed you had to be human, I'll have to give that a shot.

zkylon

zkylewd
Sure, but then you can't do any of the co-op stuff. Which is actually pretty cool and fun. Some of the story/NPC stuff is tied to human form also, if I'm not mistaken.
You can still leave a sign to help others in hollow form, summoning people/being invaded/invading is all you lose.

And AFAIK there's no story stuff tied to human form, but I could be wrong.

The only bad thing about being in hollow form is how your character looks like a fucking zombie.

That's what I'm playing? What is different about it?
Invades/Summons are really low on the PC version because of GFWL. I've been invaded, though, so don't count on that as your safety measure.

Sullichin

I absolutely hope they keep it pretty much exactly the same as it is now. I've mentioned why before, but one reason is that it would be too hard to get invasions if hosts could just turn it off. You can always just be lame and alt+f4 whenever you get invaded too, and you'll resume right where you left off. The multiplayer in this game is so unique and ties in seamlessly with the single player, I really don't want that to change just because some people don't like losing to invaders. Co-op wouldn't be the same if it didn't come with the threat of invasions either. It's not a typical co-op game.

PC version is actually really active, not as much as PS3 but I can invade pretty consistently at SL70 in ToTG, Izalith, Dukes, etc, and SL120PVP is constant. You just have to keep your game running for a while to build up a pool of IP addresses, which is annoying.
We should try to get some organized PVP fights going, the PVP is a lot more fun this way.

sixghost

Speaking of invasions, I invaded someone for the first time ever a few days ago in the rotating bridge area of Anor Londo and I could not find the guy. I looked around for like 20 minutes. None of the enemies were dead, the bridge was in the default position. It was creepy as hell. The only place I didn't check was down by the darkmoon tomb. What the hell happened?

Sullichin

Speaking of invasions, I invaded someone for the first time ever a few days ago in the rotating bridge area of Anor Londo and I could not find the guy. I looked around for like 20 minutes. None of the enemies were dead, the bridge was in the default position. It was creepy as hell. The only place I didn't check was down by the darkmoon tomb. What the hell happened?

default position as in lowered so you couldn't walk across to the other side? I wasn't even sure if you could get invaded until you do the painting guardian rafters part and then turn the staircase. Perhaps they were by the painted guardian room or the darkmoon tomb bonfire like you said. You can warp there, so it would make sense if all the enemies were still alive

My main invader is a Black Knight. Currently chipping away at making this Silver Knight for AL invasions:
http://mmdks.com/15l9
EDIT: missing the shield, which i'll use but you get the idea.

Not the most menacing setup, although I'm sure I can be a real asshole with the greatbow. There's something really fun about invading someone's world as a BP version of a normal enemy. I fight fair, don't heal and don't abuse enemy aggros to win. Unless there's a phantom or two, then all bets are off for the most part.

They could have been hiding by using chameleon.

Sometimes I do that to troll invaders.

I absolutely hope they keep it pretty much exactly the same as it is now. I've mentioned why before, but one reason is that it would be too hard to get invasions if hosts could just turn it off. You can always just be lame and alt+f4 whenever you get invaded too, and you'll resume right where you left off. The multiplayer in this game is so unique and ties in seamlessly with the single player, I really don't want that to change just because some people don't like losing to invaders. Co-op wouldn't be the same if it didn't come with the threat of invasions either. It's not a typical co-op game.

Now that I know you can still co-op in hollow form, maybe it's not as bad as I initially thought. I wouldn't want a toggle where you can just completely deactivate it, but I'd like to see something like a moderately expensive item that you could use to temporarily block invasions or banish invaders. I know you can alt+f4, but like you said, it's pretty lame.

It's not that I mind losing to invaders, it's more the complete lack of balance or matchmaking that makes it frustrating. I'll fully admit that I suck at the PvP, but it's hard to tell when most of the fights just feel like I'm being farmed by twinked-out characters with gear that I might not even have access to yet, or dudes that figured out how to exploit the netcode or whatever so they can backstab me from the front. I like the idea in concept, but in execution it's just a pain in the ass, at least for my playstyle. But maybe a lot of my frustration could have been negated since I'm apparently spending more time in human form than I need to.

Sullichin

The only real annoying place is one of the DLC towns that everybody uses for PvP.

Need a "I'm just kindling the bonfire fuck off" item

You should be able to activate bonfires when you have phantoms/invaders present at least. Co-opping through Sen's or AL with a host just to be crystaled out so they could use a bonfire is annoying, but understandable.

Now that I know you can still co-op in hollow form, maybe it's not as bad as I initially thought. I wouldn't want a toggle where you can just completely deactivate it, but I'd like to see something like a moderately expensive item that you could use to temporarily block invasions or banish invaders. I know you can alt+f4, but like you said, it's pretty lame.

It's not that I mind losing to invaders, it's more the complete lack of balance or matchmaking that makes it frustrating. I'll fully admit that I suck at the PvP, but it's hard to tell when most of the fights just feel like I'm being farmed by twinked-out characters with gear that I might not even have access to yet, or dudes that figured out how to exploit the netcode or whatever so they can backstab me from the front. I like the idea in concept, but in execution it's just a pain in the ass, at least for my playstyle. But maybe a lot of my frustration could have been negated since I'm apparently spending more time in human form than I need to.
Yeah, invaders can be very unfair. I think it's only a problem in the early game. I stay away from early areas unless I'm using appropriate gear, but there's a certain point where the game opens up and anything goes. Although, you can upgrade a weapon all the way or max out a pyro flame before ringing either bell so it is possible for the host to have equipment that stands a chance against decked out invaders, but it's unlikely. The laggy backstabs probably didn't look as strange on the backstabber's screen but the online play definitely suffers from lag. Your item to block invaders could work, but going hollow serves nearly the same purpose. Also, after each invasion there's a timer so you can't be invaded again for like 10 minutes, which is kinda like the temporary invasion block you want, just after the fact :p

I helped a friend finish the game a second time, quite glorious. I've restarted on a Caestus character, and I used only Force and Caestus up until Capra Demon when I realized I needed to be able to block. Capra was quite intense with just "punches", let me tell you that. I farmed green titanite in Blighttown before, so now I can probably move on.

I also took a detour into the catacombs to kill off Pinwheel. That wasn't hard - the problem was finding the way back up after taking a shortcut down.

Last night, we were invaded a few times in New Londo and Duke's. We had no chance in NL, but we managed to surround the guy in Duke's and take him down, which was so, so satisfying. We also did most of Tomb of the Giants without a light, until I lost track while trying to follow him down to the second bonfire alone, so I brought in another character who has the maggot.

The only real annoying place is one of the DLC towns that everybody uses for PvP.

Need a "I'm just kindling the bonfire fuck off" item

The one thing I really hate about invasions is getting forced out of bonfires while in the middle of leveling up or accessing the bottomless box or whatever. Such a pain in the ass.

What would have happened if he tried moving the bridge, out of interest? Are mechanisms locked when you're invaded?

What's the best level/areas for PVP? I assume that there's a level that frequent PVP'ers like to stay at, in order to increase their chances of invasion with each other.

oracrest

I think people trick themselves into thinking the lore is deep and interesting because the game is so good.

But thats just me.

I find that the lore isn't that good, or deep, but that the world and details tell a story, and you have to work to piece things together. It makes it more interesting.

The same way food tastes better after you exercise.

Nekki

Damn, getting lost in blighttown is not nice, lol. In the marsh I suddenly got attacked by some giant with a boulder that killed me. Fortunately, a second try and I killed all of them :D

I got invaded for the first time but I killed the other guy, that felt good!!

There's one part of Blighttown that I've yet to explore, but I got to this place called Queelag's domain.

I hope I don't get raped by the first enemy I encounter, my Battle Axe is still better than the Zweihander because of upgrades... maybe I should go back to the smith and upgrade the Zwei.

I got invaded for the first time but I killed the other guy, that felt good!!
If that was Maneater Midred, she is an NPC invader (you can also summon her for help with the Blighttown boss).

This is another reason to be human - there are NPC invaders that drop unique weapons and armour in several areas of the game.

Although, you can upgrade a weapon all the way or max out a pyro flame before ringing either bell so it is possible for the host to have equipment that stands a chance against decked out invaders, but it's unlikely.

That's the thing though -- you can get yourself on even footing, but it's really unlikely for a new player to do that (or even know how to do that). It just seems like they're setting new players up for failure, since gear and player knowledge are so important and the game doesn't account for either in its "matchmaking".

It seems like the whole system would have been a lot more enjoyable shortly after release, where the majority of players were still learning the game, but at this point most of the people still PvPing seem to be veterans. Which is sort of the case with any online game, but it seems like it could have been avoided here a little better.

Also, after each invasion there's a timer so you can't be invaded again for like 10 minutes, which is kinda like the temporary invasion block you want, just after the fact :p

Huh, that's interesting. It must not apply to NPCs though -- I killed an invader the other day and was invaded five seconds later by an NPC who kicked my ass. :p

That's the thing though -- you can get yourself on even footing, but it's really unlikely for a new player to do that (or even know how to do that). It just seems like they're setting new players up for failure, since gear and player knowledge are so important and the game doesn't account for either in its "matchmaking".

It seems like the whole system would have been a lot more enjoyable shortly after release, where the majority of players were still learning the game, but at this point most of the people still PvPing seem to be veterans. Which is sort of the case with any online game, but it seems like it could have been avoided here a little better.

Huh, that's interesting. It must not apply to NPCs though -- I killed an invader the other day and was invaded five seconds later by an NPC who kicked my ass. :p

If I remember right, being in the Way of White covenant has some effect on invasions. I can't recall if it lengthens the timer between invasions, or shrinks the level range or what, but it can help out players who don't want to get flooded with PvP.

Unfortunately the Way of White is an otherwise useless covenant.

Edit - from the Wiki:

Extensive testing suggests that members of other covenants are given preference to invaders over members of the Way of White. In other words, members of Way of White are only invaded if there are no other potential targets, greatly reducing (but not eliminating) the rate of invasions. However this protection appears to be reduced or eliminated if the player summons additional friendly summons to assist them, as this appears to often result in imminent invasions as well.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

Agreed, I think that's why some pieces of gear should have a level requirement, to be honest. Wielding a lightning zweihander+5 and maxed out armour and pyro flame when you're like, level 10, is just ridiculous.

Sullichin

Yeah, I think the intention was more that invaders serve as a mini-boss for the level, but a lot of invaders just want to min/max and give themselves every possible likely advantage over their opponent. It might be setting up a new player for a nearly unavoidable death, but then after that the player is hollow/ can't be invaded again for 10 minutes, so I don't think it truly impedes progress of new players that much. My first time through the game, I died so many times in PVE that deaths to invaders barely made a dent in my overall death count. Dying doesn't really matter. Also it would stink if that timer applied for NPC invasions, because once you beat the boss, they're gone, and some of them drop unique things.

Agreed, I think that's why some pieces of gear should have a level requirement, to be honest. Wielding a lightning zweihander+5 and maxed out armour and pyro flame when you're like, level 10, is just ridiculous.

But should a base zweihander have heavier stat requirements? At what point during the upgrade process should the required stats increase? I agree it's a bit ridiculous. But it's also how people are able to beat PVE at low levels.

Nekki

If that was Maneater Midred, she is an NPC invader (you can also summon her for help with the Blighttown boss).

This is another reason to be human - there are NPC invaders that drop unique weapons and armour in several areas of the game.

Ah, that was it then, and here I got all excited that I managed to kill somebody, haha.

Yeah, I think the intention was more that invaders serve as a mini-boss for the level, but a lot of invaders just want to min/max and give themselves every possible likely advantage over their opponent. It might be setting up a new player for a nearly unavoidable death, but then after that the player is hollow/ can't be invaded again for 10 minutes, so I don't think it truly impedes progress of new players that much. My first time through the game, I died so many times in PVE that deaths to invaders barely made a dent in my overall death count. Dying doesn't really matter. Also it would stink if that timer applied for NPC invasions, because once you beat the boss, they're gone, and some of them drop unique things.

Yeah, it's not a big deal in the grand scheme of things; honestly now that I realize that you can still co-op while hollow, the whole thing seems a lot more avoidable than I thought. It's just been a periodic source of frustration -- and not good frustration like the game normally offers.

At this point I think the only thing I'd change is somehow incorporating gear into the matchmaking system. A level 10 guy decked out like Morrigan described probably shouldn't be matchmade against a level 5 guy with starting equipment. It's cool that the game allows you to do that, but it sucks to get matchmade against someone who's using that to take advantage of new players.

I like that aspect... But I agree higher stat requirements would balance it out and encourage more diverse weapon use.

sixghost

But should a base zweihander have heavier stat requirements? At what point during the upgrade process should the required stats increase? I agree it's a bit ridiculous. But it's also how people are able to beat PVE at low levels.
I just hope in Dark Souls 2 they figure out a more sophisticated method of determining player strength. Factor in things like weapon and armor upgrade level, their PvP record, whether they have 99 consumable humanity, etc. I'd give anything to experience the first 3-4 weeks of PvP in this game, before everyone had figured everything out and min-maxed their twink builds to destroy low level people.

Seanspeed

Banned
Doing it by win-loss record is really the most ideal way. Its no guarantee, but it'll generally keep the overpowered guys who like to pick on noobies fighting other powerful/skilled players.

Sullichin

I just hope in Dark Souls 2 they figure out a more sophisticated method of determining player strength. Factor in things like weapon and armor upgrade level, their PvP record, whether they have 99 consumable humanity, etc. I'd give anything to experience the first 3-4 weeks of PvP in this game, before everyone had figured everything out and min-maxed their twink builds to destroy low level people.

Yeah, they should prioritize invasions by a variety of factors, not just levels how it is now. Also, don't tie the ability to invade to a late game boss like 4K, and having to beat it in a specific order to boot. I wish you got the invasion stone after beating the first NPC phantom like Demon's Souls. Or at least make cracked eyes farmable. It would facilitate more legitimate early game PVP and more players would try it out. I've made builds to do legitimate parish/blighttown invasions and it's a pain in the ass because you have to upgrade a weapon anyway to stand a chance against 4 Kings.

Yeah, they should prioritize invasions by a variety of factors, not just levels how it is now. Also, don't tie the ability to invade to a late game boss like 4K, and having to beat it in a specific order to boot. I wish you got the invasion stone after beating the first NPC phantom like Demon's Souls. It would facilitate more legitimate early game PVP and more players would try it out. I've made builds to do legitimate parish/blighttown invasions and it's a pain in the ass because you have to upgrade a weapon anyway to stand a chance against 4 Kings.

You can get cracked red eye orbs as soon as you get to Firelink Shrine (they're in Petrus's cache, along with a few Lloyd's Talismans and some other stuff), but yeah, it would have been a good idea to have a reliable source for those long before Kaathe.

I don't think that putting heavier restrictions on Invasions across the board is necessarily a good thing. Yeah, getting ganked at low level by someone with insane gear is not always a good time, but it's something facilitated by the game's open structure, which is something that I love. Adding a system that factors gear into the equation seems like it could potentially turn into a convoluted mess.

I say they should just make another covenant that limits invasions, similar to the Way of White, but make it clear to players that this is its purpose (and also add a few other useful features).

In theory, gankers should in turn get ganked by members of the Darkmoon Blade covenant, but no brand new players have indictment slips. IMO there should be a cache of them somewhere in Firelink Shrine.

Sullichin

You can get cracked red eye orbs as soon as you get to Firelink Shrine (they're in Petrus's cache, along with a few Lloyd's Talismans and some other stuff), but yeah, it would have been a good idea to have a reliable source for those long before Kaathe.

I don't think that putting heavier restrictions on Invasions across the board is necessarily a good thing. Yeah, getting ganked at low level by someone with insane gear is not always a good time, but it's something facilitated by the game's open structure, which is something that I love. Adding a system that factors gear into the equation seems like it could potentially turn into a convoluted mess.

I say they should just make another covenant that limits invasions, similar to the Way of White, but make it clear to players that this is its purpose (and also add a few other useful features).

In theory, gankers should in turn get ganked by members of the Darkmoon Blade covenant, but no brand new players have indictment slips. IMO there should be a cache of them somewhere in Firelink Shrine.

Oh I know :) You can only get 10 total in a playthrough if you don't kill 4K at the right time, which is annoying.
Invaders love indictments. I never understood why invaders that play like dicks get the most indictments. I only hand one out if it's a good fight

What about making invaders disappear if you make it back to a bonfire? Would give you a "oh shit" gotta run opportunity whilst giving invaders a potential target too.

sixghost

I just don't see why SL is the only factor used in determining who can invade who. There are very clear ways in which you can make your character more powerful that have zero impact on who you can invade. If everyone played the game in good faith it would be fine, but it is just so easy to break the system. The bottomless box glitch certainly doesn't help, but even without that there would still be ways around it. What's the point of have such a limitation if it's so easily skirted?

Sullichin

What about making invaders disappear if you make it back to a bonfire? Would give you a "oh shit" gotta run opportunity whilst giving invaders a potential target too.

The level design would have to be drastically different, many invasions take place right near bonfires

Oh I know :) You can only get 10 total in a playthrough if you don't kill 4K at the right time, which is annoying.
Invaders love indictments. I never understood why invaders that play like dicks get the most indictments. I only hand one out if it's a good fight

Haha that's an interesting angle -- punishing gankers by NOT indicting them.

The cool thing about Darkmoon invasions is that the more indictments someone has, the higher the level cap gets. So if someone goes unpunished long enough they should, in theory, get invaded by an epic level Darkmoon blade at some point.

I would say that would make it slightly too easy to get out of invasions, but you can already do the exact same thing by running to the boss fog or just quitting out.

I just don't see why SL is the only factor used in determining who can invade who. There are very clear ways in which you can make your character more powerful that have zero impact on who you can invade. If everyone played the game in good faith it would be fine, but it is just so easy to break the system. The bottomless box glitch certainly doesn't help, but even without that there would still be ways around it. What's the point of have such a limitation if it's so easily skirted?

They could incorporate a wins/loss system into invading, but honestly I don't think From Soft is interested in making a 100% fair system or one that is only based off of skill.

They're totally okay with players trolling each other (in fact I would say that they're enablers) so long as it doesn't involve blatant cheating. And yeah, cheaters are a big problem on PC but they're not a huge issue on consoles.

Nekki

My god, I had amassed 18k souls and was working my way up through blighttown to what I would (later) find out is Valley of the Drakes, when I got killed by one of the big guys with clubs. No big deal, I can go back up pretty easily and get it all back.

"Now's the time when I'd normally screw up, like, it'd be bad if I fell down this cliff!" is what I was thinking, just as I accidentally press the dodge button and watch in disbelief as I fall to my death, and the loss of all my souls :/

zkylon

zkylewd
My god, I had amassed 18k souls and was working my way up through blighttown to what I would (later) find out is Valley of the Drakes, when I got killed by one of the big guys with clubs. No big deal, I can go back up pretty easily and get it all back.

"Now's the time when I'd normally screw up, like, it'd be bad if I fell down this cliff!" is what I was thinking, just as I accidentally press the dodge button and watch in disbelief as I fall to my death, and the loss of all my souls :/
Next time you have 18k souls, go back to the Velka priest at the Gargoyles' belltower and buy a shitton of recall items.

It's a very worthwhile investment.

sixghost

They could incorporate a wins/loss system into invading, but honestly I don't think From Soft is interested in making a 100% fair system or one that is only based off of skill.

They're totally okay with players trolling each other (in fact I would say that they're enablers) so long as it doesn't involve blatant cheating. And yeah, cheaters are a big problem on PC but they're not a huge issue on consoles.

Maybe, but if someone is successfully invading lots of people because they are legitimately good at the game, I have no problem with that.

That is where I think the 360 version is probably a lot better than the PS3 one. The PS3 controller is just the right shape and thickness to rip in half.

Don't feel too bad, one time I lost around 30k souls because I somehow fell off the waterwheel elevator in Blighttown.

Twice.

In a row.

By far my most embarrassing sequence of deaths.

Top Bottom