• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Hey guys, does anyone know if there's a PC save editor?

I'd like to take some high res screenshots of all the armor in the game, but some isn't accessible without editing the save, and all the PC save editors I'm finding don't seem to work.

If you don't feel comfortable linking here, feel free to PM me.

By the way, I fixed up some of my older slow-mo gifs.

iY3hPVEKnUeZe.gif

i3go2gLsncf8F.gif

Sullichin

Bah, I was using the Great Scythe in both PvE and PvP since day 1 and I don't watch those videos. >_<
I know, right? Too bad, now everyone thinks you love ENB.

Heh, im guilty if trying out the great scythe after watching that vid. I really liked it, somehow i never tried it before. But im certainly dont follow his advice blindly, i dont feel his love for the estoc and balder side sword.

Nothing wrong with that. It's just funny to see so many people using it now

I'd like to take some high res screenshots of all the armor in the game, but some isn't accessible without editing the save, and all the PC save editors I'm finding don't seem to work.

Awesome gifs as usual. I'm pretty sure people on PC use cheat engine to get elite cleric set and such. I don't know how to use it though

I think I've discovered a new level of hell with these New Londo ghosts. I get to the room with the ladder fireplace and suddenly GHOSTS EVERYWHERE. One mistake and I'm stunlocked.

Sullichin

I think I've discovered a new level of hell with these New Londo ghosts. I get to the room with the ladder fireplace and suddenly GHOSTS EVERYWHERE. One mistake and I'm stunlocked.

If you don't want to deal with that awful room, you can
kill the guy at the top of the roof with arrows. He will drop the item you need to drain the water

EasyMode

Try stacking up on poise to avoid stun. I usually wear Stone or Havel's armor for that section.

Nekki

Try luring them out slowly. As soon as you enter one spawns right to your left, then the one at the very end of the room can be killed with range. Two less is better than nothing :p

Shitty scaling that requires elemental or quality build, and the penalty for missing a hit.

I barely used the heavy attack that leaves you open if you miss. The penalty isn't too bad with the light attack, probably a one second window before you can lift the shield back up

Its scaling great with my Strength/Dexterity/Endurance build I think

ArynCrinn

Banned
Any benefit to keeping a fully evolved egg head besides the larva attack? Sort of sick of getting my souls cut in half while trying to max out my pyro... Just wasn't sure if there were any pluses I wasn't aware of.

Dresden

I barely used the heavy attack that leaves you open if you miss. The penalty isn't too bad with the light attack, probably a one second window before you can lift the shield back up

Its scaling great with my Strength/Dexterity/Endurance build I think

Yeah, str/dex is a quality build. The halberd is a good weapon, but missing that R1 can leave you open to some heavy punishment if the opponent is decent.

Yeah, str/dex is a quality build. The halberd is a good weapon, but missing that R1 can leave you open to some heavy punishment if the opponent is decent.

Ah right :D

Do you mean for PVP in that second bit? I can see how a human player would be far better at exploiting misses than the AI, but I barely do PVP. Might start if I join the Darkwraiths on my next playthrough, I talked to Frampt first so didn't even know the Darkwraiths existed :p

sixghost

Did FROM change the behavior of Crestfallen Warrior in a patch? I accidently figured out a way to keep him alive the entire game. I forgot how exactly, but I made Frampt go away as soon as he showed up. I think I did a plunging attack or something.

I guess that avoided the trigger for him going hollow.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Did FROM change the behavior of Crestfallen Warrior in a patch? I accidently figured out a way to keep him alive the entire game. I forgot how exactly, but I made Frampt go away as soon as he showed up. I think I did a plunging attack or something.

Any extra dialog from him?

Nekki

What do you guys think of my character?

Lvl 104 (NG+) Knight

Vit - 30
Att - 12
End - 42
Str - 44
Dex - 22
Res - 11
Int - 13 (working on the 15 needed for great magic weapon)
Fa - 11 (irrelevant)

Wpn - +15 Greataxe (616 total attack) / +15 Pyromancy Flame
Shield - Stone Greatshield

Armor - +5 Black Iron Set (Sometimes change to Mask of The Mother for extra hp/less weight)

Rings - Ring of Favor and Protection - Second Slot cycles between Havel and whatever's needed for the occasion (anti-status, magic, elements, etc.)

The axe is cumbersome but I feel comfortable using it, wouldn't mind a faster weapon, but I like the damage of the axe.

Is this okay?? Am I way too heavy? I never miss walking slowly and rolling slowly, I have changed my setup to have mid roll against Nito (those skeletons were annoying) and Demon Firesage, because the extra mobility helped me dodging the area attack, but that's about it.

I only have to get through Bed of Chaos, 4K and the DLC content on NG+. The rest I didn't have that much trouble with.

Edit: I don't PVP

zkylon

zkylewd
I can't imagine playing with anything other than light roll but if it worked for you, why not?

Endurance caps at 40 points so you have a couple wasted points there. You should've probably stayed 100% STR or DEX (well, at least 16 STR for most weapons) if you want to min max too.

Other than that sounds alright.

Nekki

I can't imagine playing with anything other than light roll but if it worked for you, why not?

Endurance caps at 40 points so you have a couple wasted points there. You should've probably stayed 100% STR or DEX (well, at least 16 STR for most weapons) if you want to min max too.

Yes, the dex I got on my first playthrough for the siver knight shortsword. And well, about the endurance... I realized too late hehe.

Should I keep pumping Str then?? Is it worth getting 3 attunement slots as a melee knight/tank?

sixghost

Stamina increase stops at 40. Your equip load will continue to go up at a decaying rate.

zkylon

zkylewd
Yes, the dex I got on my first playthrough for the siver knight shortsword. And well, about the endurance... I realized too late hehe.

Should I keep pumping Str then?? Is it worth getting 3 attunement slots as a melee knight/tank?
Get Vit to 40+. You can never have enough health. If you plan on doing some PVP (why would you, online is dead) you can stop leveling up at SL120.

As for attunement, well, if you're not planning on playing any PVP go ahead, Dark Souls is all about setting your own rules, in my first and most played character I'm like SL150 and just blindly pour points into Vit because what gives, right?

Stamina increase stops at 40. Your equip load will continue to go up at a decaying rate.
Yeah that's what I was trying to say.

My character actually has a couple extra endurance points for a specific equip load, but it's wasteful to blindly put points into endurance unless you know where you're trying to get at.

Sullichin

Lvl 104 (NG+) Knight

Vit - 30
Att - 12
End - 42
Str - 44
Dex - 22
Res - 11
Fa - 11 (irrelevant)

Armor - +5 Black Iron Set (Sometimes change to Mask of The Mother for extra hp/less weight)

Rings - Ring of Favor and Protection - Second Slot cycles between Havel and whatever's needed for the occasion (anti-status, magic, elements, etc.)

The axe is cumbersome but I feel comfortable using it, wouldn't mind a faster weapon, but I like the damage of the axe.

Is this okay?? Am I way too heavy? I never miss walking slowly and rolling slowly, I have changed my setup to have mid roll against Nito (those skeletons were annoying) and Demon Firesage, because the extra mobility helped me dodging the area attack, but that's about it.

I only have to get through Bed of Chaos, 4K and the DLC content on NG+. The rest I didn't have that much trouble with.

Looks good. Most other greatshields have better stability than the stone greatshield when they are upgraded, but it doesn't matter much. Greataxe is awesome.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

iY3hPVEKnUeZe.gif

What weapon is that?

Someone was PvPing with me using that and I had no idea what hit me.

Booshka

Lvl 104 (NG+) Knight

Vit - 30
Att - 12
End - 42
Str - 44
Dex - 22
Res - 11
Fa - 11 (irrelevant)

Don't level your Strength past 50, I would stop at 46 just so you can use the Demon Greataxe, it's similar to the regular Greataxe but does more damage and weighs a lot more. Nothing wrong with slow tanky builds, so if you don't mind the encumbrance go for it. Level up your Vit to at least 40, I would go to 45-50 for a big jump in HP. You don't really need a huge shield like the Stone Greatshield, you can use a standard shield like the Crest Shield or Tower Kite shield and get good stability, still be able to parry, and it weighs a fraction of what huge Greatshields weigh. Tower Kite Shield should look pretty good with Black Iron set as well.

Like others have said, don't worry about leveling if you are just doing playthroughs and PvE. If you want more attunement, or more dex for even more damage on split scaling weapons, go for it. Endurance always helps, even if you lose the stamina bonus, more equip load is never a bad thing, especially if you don't plan on leveling a few stats at all.

As for PvP, I have a full STR tank build that I use and I win pretty frequently with it. 2010 HP, 500 Physical defense, and I put out a lot of damage with Crystal +5 Demon Great Machete and Large Club +15. I also have a Light Crossbow for quick finishes when people run away after I hit them hard. It's also really fun to play.

krakov

If you don't talk to him he will be in firelink until you do.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Made some mooooore GIFs.

ibsZP9wx8dpN5f.gif

I recorded at higher than 60fps on that one so I could add some slow motion when the dragon lands, I think it adds a cool visual flair.

(Spacing out so that they don't slow down your browser)

iboVkusDR3VRtf.gif

I've got a few more here, including a link to the album of GIFs that I made if you wanna see a couple more.

Seanspeed

Banned
Just don;t like the bright red, straight handle with grip-tape

The Great Scythe is the best looking weapon
Perhaps its nothing special in terms of looking cool or crazy but it looks extremely real and effective to me.

I think the best weapon, aesthetics-wise, is the Gravelord Sword. Especially how it looks being held over the shoulder.

@Alo - that dragon gif is drool-worthy.

Sullichin

Perhaps its nothing special in terms of looking cool or crazy but it looks extremely real and effective to me.

I think the best weapon, aesthetics-wise, is the Gravelord Sword. Especially how it looks being held over the shoulder.

@Alo - that dragon gif is drool-worthy.

Halberd matches awesomely when you wear/mix-match Domhall's set.

Antiwhippy

So what's the consensus on the path of the dragon? Pretty much useless except that turning into a dragon is pretty awesome?

Booshka

So what's the consensus on the path of the dragon? Pretty much useless except that turning into a dragon is pretty awesome?

Not useless, the Dragon Roar at +3 in the covenant will stagger enemy players then buff your damage significantly. It's just a pain in the ass to get the Dragon Scales legit to level up in the covenant. Dragon Covenant PvP is rare, and farming Dragon Scales is probably the worst farm in the game. Subsequently, a lot of modded and hacked characters tend to use Dragon form, because they can just save edit themselves some Dragon Scales.

butts

I think I might have fucked up, I killed the gargoyles without freeing Lautrec. Will he appear later for me or will he be gone from my game now?

Messing around on a new character I got a couple of hollows to kill Rhea's two body guards, because I didn't hit them, they didn't react - done this kind of thing before with the crestfallen warrior just for fun. But spoke to Rhea and she obviously blames me by her dialogue. Go do Pinwheel and run down to TotG pit - yep, she's not there! Homebone back to Firelink, walk up the steps and Petrus comes running at me, lol!

Lured Petrus down to the skeleton graveyard, he backed away once I got to the Catacombs entrance, but he got slashed up by the skelies - oops! Good job this isn't a faith build! :3

Antiwhippy

Not useless, the Dragon Roar at +3 in the covenant will stagger enemy players then buff your damage significantly. It's just a pain in the ass to get the Dragon Scales legit to level up in the covenant. Dragon Covenant PvP is rare, and farming Dragon Scales is probably the worst farm in the game. Subsequently, a lot of modded and hacked characters tend to use Dragon form, because they can just save edit themselves some Dragon Scales.

How do you farm for dragon scales?

Rezbit

I just finished this for the first time. Pretty salty with that ending. It took so much effort to actually beat the game, I was hoping for a little bit of pay off/eye candy. Got nothin' :(

I think it's a really interesting game at least, the difficulty peaks and troughs, notably peaks at stuff like Capra, O+S, but then some stages are really easy. Don't regret playing it because I'm glad I beat it, but damn, I need more of a reward :\

Top Bottom