• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Unless you're having severe frame rate issues, this is a pretty dumb statement. A game is not rendered unplayable just because it runs at a consoles resolution.

I actually agree with him. That low resolution might as well be a game breaking bug as far as I'm concerned. It's unacceptable to me, but thankfully Durante resolved it.

gdt

Incredible:

ds1.png

I am absolutely ecstatic right now.

FUCKING HELL. This is insane.

Durante has singlehandedly saved Dark Souls for the PC community. If nothing weird pops up, and messages and icons get fixed....this patch will go down in history.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I actually agree with him. That low resolution might as well be a game breaking bug as far as I'm concerned. It's unacceptable to me, but thankfully Durante resolved it.

Still disagree. That's on the same tier as being a graphics whore as far as I'm concerned. Unless it looks like complete shit (which it doesn't seem to. A friend said it looked like a PS3 game without Durante's patch) to the point where you literally cannot tell what is going on, or you can count the pixels on screen, I highly doubt it is unplayable.

Peff

So there are currently more than 8000 people playing the game...

ds2steamgraph5lj4y.jpg

This is pretty impressive, especially considering the bad word of mouth before release and the fact that it's a late port.

Aeana

It looks like the PS360 game on a higher resolution display. It just looks worse because you're most likely closer to your monitor than you would be to your TV.

Clearly it was acceptable enough for hundreds of thousands of people to play on consoles. I know the fix is amazing and makes it much, much better, but the kind of hyperbole like "looks like a PSX game" just makes you guys look silly.

Sethos

Banned
Almost want to see what 5120x3200 does

It looks like the PS360 game on a higher resolution display. It just looks worse because you're most likely closer to your monitor than you would be to your TV.

Clearly it was acceptable enough for hundreds of thousands of people to play on consoles. I know the fix is amazing and makes it much, much better, but the kind of hyperbole like "looks like a PSX game" just makes you guys look silly.

PC users sitting close to monitors, what is the world coming to.

And it doesn't look like a PSX game. It looks like the old Blade Runner game.

D3RANG3D

How about PS2 with extra sheen, but is saved by the art direction.

aeolist

Banned
Wonder if that guy who made the huge post about how it would have been really hard for From to update the game for arbitrary resolutions has anything else to say now

Video of what i'm talking about (sorry for the shitty quality/framerate)

http://www.twitch.tv/blainethemono/b/329693156

Holding all the way forward on the analog stick just makes you walk. Every time I start running, its because I moved the stick slightly left or right. Can't just run straight forward from being stopped completely. Sprinting has nothing to do with it

Okay, now I tried it with a dual shock 3 with motioninjoy and it works fine.

I was planning on playing with a DS3 anyway because that's what i'm used to for this game...was only messing with the 360 pad because it was plugged in and I was lazy. Don't know why the hell it does that on the 360 controller and not the ps3 pad, considering i'm just using 360 controller emulation through MIJ anyway.

Rektash

So how do you reverse hallow, I have 4 humanity and it wont let me at the bonfire, says I have no humanity.

You need to "use" the humanity items first. Just equip it into an item slot and use it. The humanity counter is in the upper left.

[Edit] Beaten like a dead fish.

2AdEPT

holy help to a noob here...i pre-ordered on steam....how the hell do I start downloading it??? I got a key for GFWL and I press the "play game button" but nothing happens?

Tomat

I'm in agreement here. There is no doubt this is a shit port, but saying it is near unplayable without a resolution fix? If it looks like a PS360 game I don't see how that is unplayable. I'm very well aware PC users have higher standards, that's fine, but PS360 is nowhere near unplayable. Unless you're getting a shit frame rate, I don't think it would be unplayable.

Still disagree. That's on the same tier as being a graphics whore as far as I'm concerned. Unless it looks like complete shit (which it doesn't seem to. A friend said it looked like a PS3 game without Durante's patch) to the point where you literally cannot tell what is going on, or you can count the pixels on screen, I highly doubt it is unplayable.

Well, it comes down to a person preference thing. I'll fully admit I'm a graphics whore when it comes to 3D and have a very low tolerance for low resolutions.

That's bullshit. You're saying playing on consoles with 50" TVs are unplayable then.

For me? Just about. It's one of the reasons I very, very rarely ever play on consoles anymore.

rybrad

So there are currently more than 8000 people playing the game...

ds2steamgraph5lj4y.jpg

This is pretty impressive, especially considering the bad word of mouth before release and the fact that it's a late port.
Eh doesn't that just show Darksiders 2 and Sleeping Dogs?
The point is that Dark Souls is doing better than those 2 games in concurrent Steam users, potentially indicating that it sold better.
Ah that makes more sense, missing link was Steam stats page.

What in the flying fuck, my DS key that I'm trying to input is not complete, it's missing the last two characters. Can't sign into GFWL? Any ideas.

Edit: Never mind, I'm a fucking moron :)

Peff

Eh doesn't that just show Darksiders 2 and Sleeping Dogs?

Yep, it's to compare with two other big recent releases which incidentally have good PC ports from the get go (well, Sleeping Dogs does). I saw that picture earlier today so I didn't bother updating it :p But you can go here to see the stats.

FACE

Banned
Yep, it's to compare with two other big recent releases which incidentally have good PC ports from the get go (well, Sleeping Dogs does). I saw that picture earlier today so I didn't bother updating it :p But you can go here to see the stats.

Darksiders 2 is a pretty shoddy port from what I gather.

Tomat

It's amazing how a little fix (or what seems like a little fix) makes such a big difference in graphical quality.

mash440

Neo Member
I don't think it's that it is unoptimised. It's just the spikes that exist wouldn't be noticeable as much on a PS3 or Xbox 360.

I'm running a 7950on a 2700k OCed to 4.5 Ghz off a Vertex 3 SDD and I am running into erratic frame-rates as well. Hopefully they will release a patch, but it certainly doesn't get into the way of gameplay.

I'm amazed by how much better the textures are than I expected (with the proper High-Res patch at 2560x1440). I thought they were gonna be splotchy, jpeg artifact messes, but they are surprisingly clear.

Rapstah

Hm, with downsampling, this actually does look exceptionally sharp. I'm looking forward to seeing how the work on improving its graphics goes on.

ezekial45

Banned
It sounds like you guys are getting things ready.

I hope you all enjoy the new content, since you get first shot at it. It was a blast to play.

Incredible:

ds1.png

I am absolutely ecstatic right now.

That is STUNNING to say the least. I will say though that if people thought the modders on the 360 were bad, just wait. It is more accessible on the PC and will get MUCH worse. And one of the best parts is the online interactions. Being invaded and one shoted while not human sounds like unfun ridiculousness.

And sounds like a lot of people are having startup issues. It is why I like my console games... very few startup worries thanks to standard hardware across the board.

Regardless glad to see those who are playing are enjoying it. Can't wait to play the DLC on the 360. :)

lexi

Banned
So what's the consensus on this game with ATI cards? 6870HD here. Might just wait for a steam sale / more Durante work and an ATI driver update.

Top Bottom