• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

TheExodu5

Banned
Unfortunately, it seems as though the distance LOD blur is running at very low res, which is pretty jarring.

Example:

dsblur.png

Sullichin

Runs like shit on my 7970 at 1920x1080. Tons of random framerate drops. :(

Yeah similarly I have a 7870 and the framerate is terrible. So sad :(
It does look great with the resolution mod though. Getting bad framerates with or without it, though. Really want to fix this so I can play the game :/

Kerub

Banned
Whoaaa, I just played the intro part.

I never tried Dark/Demon's souls but this is awesome. It feels like an old game, in a good way.

I can play with 2560x1600, looks amazing.

5120x3200 starts lagging but only when there are sprites animations like in the bonfires or magic, weird. Sad because when there are only 3D effects the game runs fine.

So I guess im playing this at 2560 downsampled to 1080.

AMD 7970, Intel I5 3570, 8GB

Fou-Lu

So what kind of builds are you guys going for first? I'm thinking Moonlight Greatsword on a magic user. Starting class pyromancer.

Sullichin

The game constantly autosaves so exiting the game improperly always risks corrupting the save.

There's no fast way to quit to desktop which is kind of annoying (that I've found anyway). Quitting the game means you have to sit through the intro logos and the save game dialogue before you have the option to quit from the title screen.

Iztli

I'm watching a stream of some guy playing it with keyboard&mouse and everyone is hating on him pretty bad.

Whats up with that?

Dude's response
I dont own a gamepad :( how much do they cost?
nocontrollern.jpg

zkylon

zkylewd
The game constantly autosaves so exiting the game improperly always risks corrupting the save.
Yeah, that's what I gathered from it but I'm not used to that being a problem. I've alt F4-ed from Max Payne 3, Saints Row The Third, etc. with no problems and those are also autosave games.

So really, where are my savegames stored? Anyone knows?

Aeana

There's no fast way to quit to desktop which is kind of annoying (that I've found anyway). Quitting the game means you have to sit through the intro logos and the save game dialogue before you have the option to quit from the title screen.
Does alt-F4 close the game? You could try selecting the quit game option in-game, and once you're sure it's saved, press alt-F4 to close it.

EDIT: I need to learn to read.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
The ghost area is supposed to be a mid game area, don't bother with it until you ring the 2 bells.

Oh...see i don't know where else to go? When at the main bonfire i went up the 3 staircases but i didn't find anything except a guy that i don't have enough souls to buy anything from.

Zzoram

Yeah, that's what I gathered from it but I'm not used to that being a problem. I've alt F4-ed from Max Payne 3, Saints Row The Third, etc. with no problems and those are also autosave games.

So really, where are my savegames stored? Anyone knows?

They don't autosave like a Souls game though.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Ugh

This won't end well. I heard GFWL and cheaters really get along well.

I think people have been calling for this since the game's announcement. I'd say expect hell as far as any form of PvP goes unless you play with friends only, but we'll have to wait and see.

Hope it doesn't go that route because the random PvP is one of the best parts about the game.

I just went through the beginning area in before the 1st boss in like an hour. The first time on 360 it took me like 5 hours. I was afraid the controls with the 360 controller on pc were going to feel janky, but so far it's all going smooth as butter - no homerun above the 360 version but very playable.

Zzoram

Oh...see i don't know where else to go? When at the main bonfire i went up the 3 staircases but i didn't find anything except a guy that i don't have enough souls to buy anything from.

There is an aqueduct up some stair cases leading to the Undead Burg, which is the starting area of the game.

You can find the ending in the game's folder in a wmv format. It's like I don't even need to play the game!

Holy shit, lol.

Reminds me of when Deus Ex 1 loaded, it'd go through all the file names as they were loaded and it spoiled basically the entire game for you. (level names etc)

Mafro

btw the game runs great (despite the obvious imposed restrictions) on my Dell XPS17 laptop (i7 2630QM, Nvidia GT 555m, 6GB RAM)

Tess3ract

Banned
I only use a controller on a pc for things like:

Driving vehicles

Yep that's about it.

Mouse and keyboard is 99.9999% of the time superior. Shitty keyboard controls is unacceptable.

You can find the ending in the game's folder in a wmv format. It's like I don't even need to play the game!

I won't be able to buy the game for a while, but I'm dying to know the file structure to see if its relatively easy moddable (for textures that is), maybe something similar to Skyrim (where it had textures in .dds format in a .bsa archive that you could extract using FOMOD).

Edit:
Looks like the game is packed down in two 1.6 / 1.7GB "BDT" files.

Thanks Sethos! =)

Dresden

I keep getting stunlocked and then stabbed by 3 different dudes.

Put your shield up, back off to let one of them separate ahead of the pack, and remember that rolling has invuln animations.

Or you can spend a few minutes practicising parry timing and just godmode rest of the beginning areas.

Sethos

Banned
I won't be able to buy the game for a while, but I'm dying to know the file structure to see if its relatively easy moddable (for textures that is), maybe something similar to Skyrim (where it had textures in .dds format in a .bsa archive that you could extract using FOMOD).

Looks like the game is packed down in two 1.6 / 1.7GB "BDT" files.

Top Bottom