• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Blackheim

Awesome job Durante and thank you :D Your fix tipped me back into "buy" and so I did. Now I just need to upgrade my video card when I get the money from a 4870 >_>

Anyone figure out how to coop with friends?

I was wondering what the improved "matchmaking" was all about, and hoped it was some kind of coop system where you can invite your friends.

Still not 100% sure, but I believe its just the arena PVP.

I was hoping to double dip if the new matchmaking has the ability to invite friends, but even after seeing these screenshots, I may have to anyways.

TheExodu5

Banned
Actually managed to coop with a friend pretty easily. Went to an area where no one was placing summon signs, and found his sign right away. We tried for hours on the PS3 without success.

Revoh

TezuM.gif

Downloading...

Can't play it till tomorrow after work though :(

Picked it up off GMG and am DL'ing it now. From seriously owes Durante just piles of money. I can't imagine it would be doing as well here on GAF if it weren't for his fix.

King Boo

i already beaten the first stage, but how do i parry and do the counter attack? there are two shield buttons. one where the character holds the shield up, the other looks like a shield bash. which one is the parry?

TezuM.gif

Downloading...

Can't play it till tomorrow after work though :(

I know the feeling. I have an early night due to work. But the second I get home; well I may need to be forcibly removed from my chair.
i already beaten the first stage, but how do i parry and do the counter attack? there are two shield buttons. one where the character holds the shield up, the other looks like a shield bash. which one is the parry?

The 'shield bash' is parry, you have to time it right then hit attack.

Xandier

Neo Member
I imported and ordered the physical copy of the pc version a while and I have yet to receive it, but I heard that it might not activate on steam. Can anyone personally confirm if the physical copy can be activated on steam, or only GFWL?

Alex

Actually managed to coop with a friend pretty easily. Went to an area where no one was placing summon signs, and found his sign right away. We tried for hours on the PS3 without success.

Console versions had broken online for awhile, actually not sure if it was ever really fixed, thought I heard it was.

Zzoram

I have both that and Steam running, Windows signed in before I launch the game, and yet I cannot get the game to recognize that I am signed in at all..=/

Any help or tips? My controller doesn't work as well, but I figure that may be because of the former issue.

My GFWL doesn't sign in until after I launch Dark Souls from Steam. My controller works.

aFIGurANT

Do the bash (LT) in concert with the enemy's attack at it will make a cool sound, knock them back, and give you a second to riposte.

The shoulder buttons are reversed from PS3, correct? Something about them seems off to me and I feel like that's the problem. I can manage, it just feels weird.

Zzoram

I should stop locking on?

Lock on is great most of the time, but it's not always a good idea if you're being surrounded because you need to be able to easily swivel your camera to see the guys flanking you.

Lock on prevents you from cutting the tails off of bosses that can drop special tail weapons because the lock on is to the body.

I'm playing unmodded, runs great on my E8400@3.2GHz, HD4870 512MB, 4GB DDR2. Doesn't look bad to me either in motion, just looks like the PS3 version. Obviously the super high resolution and downsampled screenshots look great, but I'm happy with this until Durante works out the kinks in his mod.

Zeliard

I don't think there's really an issue with locking on. I do it frequently since it facilitates easy backstabs, and my style of play in both Demon's and Dark Souls is to roll and backstab as opposed to parrying or generally using a shield.

Also, a major tip especially if you're going to be using a shield a lot is to let go of the shield button to recover stamina much more quickly. Don't hold it up at all times during combat or you'll run into a lot of stamina problems.

Zzoram

I want to play more but I have to go to bed. I got the achievement for lighting the first bonfire and am calling it a night. By the time I can play again, Durante will probably have upgraded his mod to fix the tutorial messages, button prompts in menus, DOF and AA.

antitrop

I'm playing unmodded, runs great on my E8400@3.2GHz, HD4870 512MB, 4GB DDR2. Doesn't look bad to me either in motion, just looks like the PS3 version. Obviously the super high resolution and downsampled screenshots look great, but I'm happy with this until Durante works out the kinks in his mod.
That's interesting, I played Demon's Souls (some of it :p) on PS3 a few weeks ago "in preperation" and I think Dark Souls: PTE unmodded looks substantially worse than that did.

So is the PC version worth the $40 or should I wait for a sale?
If you have the hardware I think it's totally worth $40.

Zzoram

That depends, do you want to play it now or at New Years? Do you have something else you'd rather play now?

Use the GMG coupon code for 20% off so it's $32. GMG sells Steam codes for this game.

This is an excellent game and if you've never played it before, you really should. If you've beaten it on console, you could wait but if you're not playing something else right now just get it now.

Raxus

So far it runs pretty smoothly and Durante is working on an HD patch (if you care about that sort of thing). If you haven't played Dark Souls yet and you have a 360/PS3 controller for your PC I highly recommend it.

Midou

Not sure if it's been said or revealed before, but Dark Wood Grain Ring now needs you to be under 25% weight, this should make for interesting builds. :)

Zzoram

The feeling of rolling into barrels and NOT getting slowdown is like breathing in the air of paradise. My god this GAMEEEEE.

Protip to noobs, ALWAYS roll into barrels/crates, NEVER swing your weapon at them. There are a few moments in the game when this advice will save you a lot of grief.

Not sure if it's been said or revealed before, but Dark Wood Grain Ring now needs you to be under 25% weight, this should make for interesting builds. :)

I hope FROM gives us patch notes of balance changes and bug fixes they made with the DLC.

Raxus

Protip to noobs, ALWAYS roll into barrels/crates, NEVER swing your weapon at them. There are a few moments in the game when this advice will save you a lot of grief.

Not to mention just flinging your body to destroy objects is just too ridiculous to pass up.

Crisis averted, GFWL gave me the achievement I somehow didn't get on a second character. Weird it didn't pop the first time though...and I hope it's the only one that'll act like this because I don't want to do two chars at once juste for that.

I could also change the language back to English, it was in French and I didn't like this.
For anyone who wants to change, juste go to your Windows configuration panel and change your time and date format to English (or any other supported language)

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Just grabbed a copy off of one of those key sites for $28.00 English version. Was on the fence about this one but seems this "patch" was worth the risk!!

Zzoram

Radeons have bad performance with this game.

Untrue. It seems rather inconsistent. Some are fine, others are having issues.
Everyone post your full specs and if you have issues. I suspect the Radeons with issues are running a certain driver or OS that doesn't like the game.

E8400, HD4870, 4GB RAM, Windows Vista SP2, driver 10.2
Very smooth framerate with unmodded game

Sullichin

Everyone post your full specs and if you have issues. I suspect the Radeons with issues are running a certain driver or OS that doesn't like the game.

i52500k, HD7870, 8GB RAM, Windows 7, Catalyst v 12.8

Really inconsistent framerate with or without the mod. :(

Maedhros

I'm reading the forums all the day and you're the first to say your Radeon don't give frame dips.

Top Bottom