• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Cetra

As much as I'm loving playing a much prettier, much better performing version of my favorite game... I think I'm enjoying the reactions to bosses etc of all you DkS newbies more than anything.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
What internal res would I need to set to imitate supersampling? I'm running at 1360x768 right now. I want it to look even better even if it runs the same with slowdown.

Forkball

As much as I'm loving playing a much prettier, much better performing version of my favorite game... I think I'm enjoying the reactions to bosses etc of all you DkS newbies more than anything.

It was pretty amusing seeing all the blood stains around the Asylum Demon when I first saw him. I hit him once and figured out that I probably can't fight him at this time. He owned me though when I was on that platform later one. He doesn't seem so hard, I was just very unprepared. Also I got hit by the boulder the first time. And two zombie dudes ganged up and killed me because I rushed around the corner.

This is going to be a long game.

iNvid02

Man, figures that with this port sounding MOSTLY fine afterall the checkout on GMG is borked. :/

bought a copy fine using my card, then decided to help out ando because he was having trouble.

long story short my paypal account was limited
KuGsj.gif

i was able to fix it pretty quickly but fuck gmg + paypal, never again

Eusis

bought a copy fine using my card, then decided to help out ando because he was having trouble.

long story short my paypal account was limited
KuGsj.gif

i was able to fix it pretty quickly but fuck gmg + paypal, never again
I'm thinking it's because I had my prior order canceled, trying this quickly with Guild Wars 2 works just fine as far as advancing to the next step goes.

Man, maybe I will be waiting on that Steam sale anyway. :/

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
My wired 360 controller doesn't seem to have buttons mapped correctly. Even when I switch the buttons around, down on the d-pad will switch my items, instead of using them. Anyone have a solution, or encounter this yet?

Misremembering the buttons!

Zeliard

MASTER KEY. trust me.

True, though just to note for anyone who doesn't know, the Thief class already comes with one off the bat.

I'm rolling a Thief again and I picked the Pendant, which I think I also chose the first time I played through the game. I dunno.

zkylon

zkylewd
True, though just to note for anyone who doesn't know, the Thief class already comes with one off the bat.

I'm rolling a Thief again and I picked the Pendant, which I think I also chose the first time I played through the game. I dunno.
How important are those items through the game. I plan to play it more than once, and I feel like getting the pendant, but I'm not sure. I'm certainly not gonna get something you can use only a few times...

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Im new to the whole soul series, didn't die once until the taurus demon. Then i died a few times. Really annoying that forward b is jump and not roll. That is what killed me twice which is the worst, because you go flying off the cliff when he hits you in the air causing an insta death. The second time i died because i was trying to forward roll and not forward jump. Then i got really frustrated at the controls and ended up being caught in a doorway sandwiched in between two enemies because i apparently missed one behind me.

Other than that I say bosses seem hard, but normals seem easy unless you really try to hurry.

Vorg

Banned

Do people know what the pendant is for yet?
As far as I know you can only trade it with Snuggly for a Souvenir of Reprisal and nothing else.
Besides, you can get the pendant by other means within the game. It's not a very useful starting gift at all.

Sullichin

I fixed the majority of my framerate problems! Saw a thread on the steam forums that suggested moving all of the AA and filtering sliders in catalyst panel up to the max, overwriting application settings, with v-sync disabled. Without these options pumped up, apparently, your GPU isn't being used at anywhere near its capable clock speeds. Oh, and I also have my resolution scaled from a glorious 3840x2160 -> 1080p using Durante's mod. Really glad that the solution to this problem involved making the game look as good as possible. Resting at bonfires slows down a bit and I noticed very minor fps drops - to upper 20s - but nothing like before. Runs better than the console version now, finally, and looks amazing.

LiK

Im new to the whole soul series, didn't die once until the taurus demon. Then i died a few times. Really annoying that forward b is jump and not roll. That is what killed me twice. The second time i died because i was trying to forward roll and not forward jump i got really frustrated at the controls and ended up being caught in a doorway sandwiched in between two enemies because i apparently missed one behind me.

Other than that I say bosses seem hard, but normals seem easy unless you really try to hurry.

met any Black Knights yet? :)

As far as I know you can only trade it with Snuggly for a Souvenir of Reprisal and nothing else.

yes, and it's not that great.

FtHTiny

And another question: the sprint button on the controller seems not to be working. How can i put it to B, every other key works fine...

Raxus

Just some recommendations for beginners (highlight if you think you will need help caution, minor spoilers)

Pick pyromancer and master key. It saves you a few souls and is great for advanced play down the road. You can obtain nearly every other item somewhere in the game.
For your first few levels get strength 16 and dexterity 10 (12 if you want to use the short bow). This will come in handy early on if you want to wield a strong weapon called the Drake sword.
Pick up the heater shield from the merchant in undead berg. It is a great beginning shield until you need the advanced shields later on.
Save Humanity items. They double as extremely strong healing items.
Try to draw enemies out 1-2 at a time. Slow and steady wins the race in this game most of the time.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
met any Black Knights yet? :)

No. I saw a scary looking big knight thing, but I know enough about this game from reading to know if something looks scary go the other way.

Zeliard

How important are those items through the game. I plan to play it more than once, and I feel like getting the pendant, but I'm not sure. I'm certainly not gonna get something you can use only a few times...

The truth is that the starting gifts are fairly inconsequential outside of the Master Key. You can get all of them in the game eventually.

The Master Key was originally even more important as a starting gift because there was no way to get it in-game, but I think they added a way to buy it from someone in a later patch. Even then, it's probably still the best thing to get if you're not picking the Thief class.

I think you can use the Black Firebomb to also more easily
beat the tutorial boss in the first encounter and get a weapon
(light spoiler), but I don't know how much that really matters ultimately. Never really tried it myself.

I'm pretty sure that's its only function.

Jintor

can someone link me to the Dark Souls GMG page? It's not appearing in AU, might not be available here. Alternatively, what's the US price for DS on Steam?

Taruranto

So, how many are going to play as a superior Mage Masterace instead of Melee inferior beings?

Also, i beat the first Boss. I AM A GOD.

zkylon

zkylewd
The truth is that the starting gifts are fairly inconsequential outside of the Master Key. You can get all of them in the game eventually.

The Master Key was originally even more important as a starting gift because there was no way to get it in-game, but I think they added a way to buy it from someone in a later patch. Even then, it's probably still the best thing to get if you're not picking the Thief class.

I think you can use the Black Firebomb to also more easily
beat the tutorial boss in the first encounter and get a weapon
(light spoiler), but I don't know how much that really matters ultimately. Never really tried it myself.
Oh, cool, that's good to know. I kinda like the idea of not having access to a ton of places and seeing them for the first time in NG+, so I might just keep my pendant.

can someone link me to the Dark Souls GMG page? It's not appearing in AU, might not be available here. Alternatively, what's the US price for DS on Steam?
http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/ar/en/pc/games/action/dark-souls-prepare-die-edition-na/

Raxus

Does the Master Key unlock
the watchtower basement? I would love to skip moonlight butterfry until I actually have spells.

Smash88

Banned
As I said in the other thread, while it's nice it is fixed, sort of.... The game still has me on the edge at least until a hefty sale, because from what I've read hackers will even be able to get in when you are human? And they'll be maxed out.... no thanks.

Zeliard

Does the Master Key unlock
the watchtower basement? I would love to skip moonlight butterfry until I actually have spells.

Yup, it's one of the best reasons to take it. Not only is the
Watchtower Havel
fight fun as hell, but you get a sweet piece of loot very early on in the game from it.

Sullichin

Does playing the game offline seem to improve the framerate at all?

If you're on a Radeon card, try overwriting application settings with catalyst panel and setting all of the graphics options to the max, this made the framerate much better for me (posted on previous page)

So uh, how in the world do you use the game save manager for dark souls? Dark souls doesn't show up as an option. Also, how do you read the warning messages for the games? I can't seem to figure out how.

epmode

So uh, how in the world do you use the game save manager for dark souls? Dark souls doesn't show up as an option. Also, how do you read the warning messages for the games? I can't seem to figure out how.

Game Save Manager probably hasn't been patched to support it. In Windows 7, your savegames are located in My Documents\NBGI\DarkSouls\<username>

Warning messages don't display if you're using the resolution fix. This will hopefully be corrected tomorrow.

I believe game save manager's database is updated and filled by users themselves so when they release an database update it will be there.

Top Bottom